You Who Forgot Poetry: Episodes 11-12

Sometimes a show gives you every single thing that you want. But I can’t decide if this show is that show. I mean, it is, but also… I want… more? I want alternate realities? I want everyone to be happy forever and not have to choose between outcomes?

Basically, I don’t even know what I want anymore, but I guess you’re welcome to have your way with us all, Show, ’cause whatever you do, it’s grade-A fine with me!

EPISODES 11-12 WEECAP

Min-ho tags along with Bo-young when she goes looking for a book, but the one she wants has gone out of print. He’s secretly pleased when she gifts him with a book of children’s poetry.

Dae-bang is still recovering from his injury, and things get interesting when a new patient “Ha Seok-jin” (a lolarious cameo from the same!) arrives in the bed next door.

The very opposite of Dae-bang, Ha Seok-jin is ultra-decisive and immediately asks Yoon-joo out, having already decided their entire future life, right up to their respective departures from the mortal coil. (Yoon-joo: “But why do I die first?”)

Yoon-joo agrees to have a meal with him but it ends with Ha Seok-jin and Dae-bang coming to blows (sort of… Dae-bang can’t decide whether to hit him or not). Yoon-joo has enough and yells that she’s done with both of them.

The physios’ case of the week is a young soccer player refusing treatment. He was on the national team, but can’t play anymore after an accident. He refuses treatment and Bo-young desperately tries to convince him, but Jae-wook harshly tells him to give up his slots to people who actually want them.

An angry Bo-young confronts Jae-wook that night about how he treated the boy. She supposes he can speak like that because he’s never had to give up on his own dreams.

The next day, though, the boy turns up for his treatment after all, and tells Bo-young afterwards that Jae-wook sought him out again the day before. He’d told him about his own past, where he’d also been in an accident that put an end to his pro-baseball career.

Like his doctor who hadn’t given up on him then, Jae-wook promised not to give up on the boy now, as long as he didn’t give up on himself.

Bo-young apologizes to Jae-wook for misunderstanding him, and tells him about her own pain when she had to give up literature. He barely stops himself reaching out to comfort her—a moment Min-ho witnesses from across the road.

Min-ho has secretly tracked down a copy of the book she wanted, and resolves to confess to her right away. But Bo-young’s already got plans because Jae-wook is on his way back to her, having executed a Grand U-turn of Love. Oooo!!!!

They agree to keep their dating secret from their colleagues, but at work the next day, Jae-wook is hilariously terrible at hiding it.

The others very soon figure out that he’s dating (the big red hearts he’s doodled all over his notepad kinda give it away?) though they can’t for the life of them figure out who, even though he’s practically shooting eye-hearts at Bo-young aaallll day, the dork. It’s so funny to see Bo-young cringe at his obviousness, ha!

Aw, yay, Bo-young wins their department an award from the hospital for saving a woman’s life. They go to dinner to celebrate, and the crowning glory of it all is Jae-wook and Bo-young’s noraebang duet.

Poor Min-ho has been missing everything, meanwhile, since he’s been off work after colliding with a motorcycle the night before. Unaware of the latest developments, he decides to delay his confession until the timing is right.

It’s also Joo-yong’s day off, and he has Dae-bang around for the day. Dae-bang and Min-ho side-eye each other, since Joo-yong told each of them that the other was kind of terrible.

They privately agree with Joo-yong’s assessment at first, but when Min-ho turns out to be kind and Dae-bang turns out to be helpful, they rethink their negative impressions and jointly confront Joo-yong. Who is reading manhwas instead of studying. Oh Joo-yong, Joo-yong, what are we going to do with you?

Meanwhile, Nam-woo (when did he get reunited with his alligator?!) bumps into a girl called KIM MI-RAE and we learn that they used to date, but she broke up with him after her financial situation worsened.

She’s part of the reason Nam-woo has been working so hard to gain a stable job. But no sooner does he decide to try again with her than his hopes are dashed, as his mother calls up to deliver the bad news that they’re in even worse straits now. Aww, my poor baby Nam-woo.

Jae-wook and Bo-young slip away from the group. Bo-young tells her boyfriend (!!) that everyone’s onto him, which mystifies him. (Jae-wook: “But I did so much mind-control!”).

When he realizes that Bo-young wanted to keep their relationship secret for his sake, he tells her he’s happy with everyone knowing about them, if she is. And then he kisses her and the Yentire fandom drops dead.

COMMENTS

Aw, poor Min-ho. I mean, for a start, I don’t think his confession would have been successful, but I also can’t fault his reasoning in delaying it because it was the most sensible thing to do, even from an emotional point of view. It ultimately shows his consideration for her and that’s a big step for the Min-ho we know.

I’m beginning to think he’s been a decent person all along, but ended up being his absolute worst self with Bo-young for all that time. Apart from with her, we’ve never actually seen him be cruel to anyone else—petulant and thoughtless, yes, but not the kind of downright cruel behavior he’d shown to her.

I suppose it is his very just desserts to suffer. With so much of love to do with the right timing, Min-ho’s missed it every time, but I don’t see that he ever realistically engaged Bo-young’s feelings in that way since their reunion. I actually love that he’s earned her friendship instead (he really has). He’s a good friend when he’s not being an enemy, and the fact that he and Nam-woo (who is as sensitive as he is dramatic) are close does say something.

Similarly, his new fellowship with Dae-bang. One of the most fun things about this show is the way the characters’ relationships cross over, and this week, apart from the (slightly exhausting) Ha Seok-jin interlude, I really loved the budding brotherhood between Min-ho and Dae-bang.

How great was it to see them meet each other full of preconceived ideas about the other, but to then be able to see past that surface to their better qualities? And Joo-yong: He’s such a great character for so many reasons—this easygoing mixture of competence and pomp, pride and idiocy. I honestly could watch these boys in a show all day.

The poetry was spot-on this week, it actually feels like the writers took a selection of poems and constructed this entire universe and characters around them. The poetry is essentially a stand-in for emotions, and changing the narrators serves as a way of giving us access to different characters’ inner feelings each time.

We started off the show with Bo-young exclusively narrating, but that eventually unwound to include Jae-wook recently, and finally this week, we hear both Min-ho and Nam-woo. It’s such a beautiful way of gently unfolding their hearts to show us what’s inside. Rather than melancholy, I feel that the poetry grounds the show in a reflective, self-examining way.

Min-ho’s keynote poem, “You’re a fool,” illustrates Bo-young completely, as someone to whom the small things matter as much as the big, and who takes joy in them all equally. It’s like the writer handed this poem over to Lee Yubi and just told her, “This is you.” How lovely.

As for the rest, here are two thousand words:

Tags: , , , ,

Good character development all around. I'm especially delighted by Bo-young's growth this week. Yes, everyone knows she is a sympathetic, kind, and friendly person. But always being the receiving end of a compliment can be dangerous too, as can be seen when she easily jumped to the conclusion that she is the only one who can understand the patients' pain. So it's nice to see her learned that everyone has their own wound too, and that they can show their empathy in many different ways.

I still couldn't believe this latest development. Dr. Ye and Bo-young dating felt like a dream. Despite how happy I am to see her that giddy in the honeymoon phase of her new relationship, I echo the sentiment of some beanies who are disappointed by Dr. Ye as a character. The writer made him into this impossibly perfect man that I actually have difficulty forming an emotional bond with him. We knew little of him and what actually made him tick.

I have to say that I have deeper sympathy and understanding for Nam-woo's sad love story even when they only introduced it in one eps. Looking at how stubborn he is preserving his alligator shirt all these 10 years, I believe he can score a good job, make his family proud, and regain back his lost love. He deserves all the good things in life after all that. Nam-woo, fighting!!

I have a dear friend who went through a horrible betrayal in her marriage, and years later I was mentioning something about her son as a toddler and I always remember her saying, "I can't remember; I was numb for a few years". That's what Dr. Ye reminds me of....betrayed by his gal and betrayed by his mentor and he shut down. So even though he hasn't had a lot of character development (I don't think the male lead on Let's Drink did either really....he was called Premium Trash for a reason though), I just kind of relate from seeing people go through that. I hope in the next episodes we get a bit more but as I recall the end of Let's Drink I'm not convinced we're gonna get it.

same here. i too could relate with that slow and very small bits of his Dr. Ye's character development. He had is share of painful story and past and anyone who had been there can feel the intensity in those tiny moments.

I know he has been through some horrible betrayal and I can understand him only going through little character development because of that. The thing is, like what @mindy said below, I just couldn't click with him in emotional level because I don't know who he is as a person. I didn't have any 'Ah, he did that because he is this kind of person' moment during any of his interaction with many different people. And when his interaction with these people changed recently, I still couldn't pinpoint what exactly influence this change. I feel like he did things only because the writer wanted him to do those things, not because who he fundamentally is.

I haven't watch Drinking Solo, so this might be the writer's flaw regarding her leads' characterization. I'm just kinda sad to only have realized it now that we might wouldn't get any deeper into Dr. Ye's thought and feeling.

I think Dr Ye was purposefully designed to be a blank slate for our heroine to project her romantic fantasies onto. We're meant to be left in a state of apprehension over whether he's really the right choice or not. I think the comic portrayal of Dr. Ye in love tells us as much about the character as anything that came before.

I want to say his heart-doodling and tambourine-playing is out of character, but I honestly don't even know who Jae Wook's character is?

Exactly my problem. I just realized that I couldn't even said that some things he did is out of character because I actually don't know who he is as a person. That's a sad realization to discover this late in the drama.

Yes! I don't feel any connection to Dr.Ye as a person. We barely know his motivations and what makes him tick, his underlying thoughts and feelings. It's like we got a glimpse of his backstory through the flash back within a flashback but we all know we've barely touched the surface. Nam Woo (a side character, at that) feels more 3 dimensional than Dr Ye (a lead). He feels more real and less cut out. Hopefully the future eps make Dr.Ye more solid instead of someone who rushed things out.

Maybe because I am sort of like Dr Ye, I do understand his motivations, and what makes him tick. Another Beanie said this somewhere else, but perhaps the writer is leaving Dr Ye so opaque because this is how this type of person would be in real life. We don't always know the underlying thoughts, feelings, and backstories of the people around us, and yet relationships begin, and then, information is learned. Just as it has with Jae Wook and Bo Young. He has slowly told her about himself, and done it in a way that feels natural to me, in a need to know kind of way.

@egads I understand where you're coming from but the fact that Dr Ye is such an opaque personality personally feels like a disconnection and vague character development. Whilst we never know what the people around us have undergone I wanted some more opening up before he confessed to Bo Young. The fact that he seems so into her (doodling hearts etc) suddenly after confessing and sharing one grin worthy ride seems very rushed and provided only for cutesy squeal worthy scenes. He doesn't seem real to me - and the way they both approach each other (whilst we as an audience get only snippets) makes it seem like an infatuation. Maybe it's because we aren't clear on how much time passes between the events so we aren't privy to Dr Ye's contemplation. However, I'm pinning it down to the writers slowly easing us into their relationship and then fleshing them out so we get to go on a journey that's not just cute but also filled with revelations.

I remember who Dr. Ye reminds me of. Aji 3!

@fay17
Min Kyu: "Aji 3, @ChinguMode (@leetennant)." πŸ˜„

Hahaha @panshel meta within meta. :D

@fay17 @panshel

Chingumode activated.

I maintain that her infatuation with Dr Ye is part of her tendency to construct elaborate romantic fantasies with unobtainable men.

I would not be surprised if she is no longer interested now he's obtainable (and once she realises he's just a human person). I have long thought that her friendship with Min-ho will become about her realisation that she needs a real relationship rather than a fantasy.

But I have tended to approach her romanticism with a greater cynicism than other Beanies so I could be wrong.

I don't think it's bad writing that Dr Ye seems two-dimensional to us while Min-ho has been revealed to us in all his complicated, juvenile tantrum-throwing glory.

I suspect it's the entire point of the show. But I have been wrong before and will be again.

Aha @leetennant I would really have loved to see on screen all that you have written. I am also afraid that the writer isn't even thinking that deep [ pardon beanies if I appear cynical too, but I am a bit pissed at the writer].

This. I can relate to this haha. I mean I get bored easily too. How I wished this actually happened. But part of the reason why we're thinking this way is that Bo Young still has this starry eyes when she looks at Dr. Ye. I don't know if that's just acting or direction from the writer. Also, like someone said above, I felt more for nam woo who just had a relationship for an episode, or when he cries for the alligator.

Now I want to see this too. Argh.

I suspect it's the entire point of the show.

Now I left the ship long ago, but you're making me high on the ship again. πŸ™ˆ

But I have been wrong before and will be again.

Ah IKR. Kdrama logics baffle us.

Jae Wook reminded me of my brother in law, actually. Warm and comical on the inside, but an introvert, and hence looks cold outside, and may shut down if something hurt him. He is an observant too, so although he seem ignorant, he really is anything but.

Tbh, I'm an introvert too. But I can emote pretty well. Things that people misunderstand about introverts, that they can't emote, or express themselves, hence they are cold, unsocial etc. But in reality, we just don't feel like talking much, or with anyone and everyone. But that doesn't mean we will stop 'expressing' ourselves or won't seem empathetic. In fact, I feel like it's the opposite. I think I can understand better and more than others, how people's mind works, or why do they feel hurt by something. Introverts are quite perceptive I think. πŸ˜…
Just that the introverts choose to/ don't like/ or don't feel to interact a lot. They tend to do that more with friends/ people whom they find interesting on a personal level.
To me, it's more the writer's fault that she/he didn't flesh out Dr. Ye's character properly. Or else so many people won't echo the same sentiment.

Just that the introverts choose not to/ or don't feel like to interact a lot.

As an introvert I often find too much social interaction exhausting. So while I can be the life of the party in a small group, if the group gets too large or the party goes on for too long I slowly shut down. Part of that is an empathy thing - if you're too empathetic to other people you can get really tired really quickly.

High five! I can totally relate to this. I totally get you when you say you shut down in a larger crowd. Since you know you can't empathize with everyone in a larger gathering.
'if you're too empathetic to other people you can get really tired really quickly.'
This. Details. My thoughts exactly!

As one of the quieter extroverts, I agree that I think there tends to be this weird association that introverts are cold and have no social skills. In reality, maybe they are less immediately talkative, and just don't feel the need to be constantly freaking out on the outside. However, that doesn't mean that they aren't strongly understanding or full of feelings and emotions. I personally think that the fact that my sister spends more time quiet and observing makes her more perceptive than me, as I have a tendency to jabber and miss something.

@bammsie It's so much fun when people actually get you.
Haha, I think extroverts are just more confident in whatever they say and they have an insane level of energy to just connect with everyone. They are the people person. :D
If anyone is interested, there is this tedtalk on introverts, which I really liked.
[mind it there's no power of introverts though, the speaker is delusional. πŸ˜‚ ]
I will stop spamming the space now. I feel like I have been speaking off topic for a while. πŸ˜…

Frankly, I don't know if it's confidence or comfortableness or what, because I personally know that while I know I can talk on and on, that doesn't necessarily mean more meaning on either side? I'm pretty sure that doesn't make any sense. But yeah. I've thought of in/extroverts as having differences of energy - extroverts getting more energy from interaction whereas the introverts in my life need more me-recharge time after interactions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, these are just some observations. :) And thanks for the link!

You're welcome! ^^ Comfortableness, that would be the better word yeah. I was also assuming from the extroverts in my life, but thanks for the clarification!

@bammsie @fay17

I don't even think there's a clear introvert/extrovert binary. Humans are rarely dichotomous but we love dividing things up into groups.

But the best description I heard was that extroverts get their energy from connecting with other people, introverts get it from being alone. So extroverts problem solve by talking, introverts by thinking.

And if you think "but I do both of those things sometimes" then you would be right! We're all more complex than that. But if I spend too much time in groups, I need time alone to recharge and think.

@leetennant
I am rather extrovert, open minded and if I am in a party I would dance with the group, small or large, as long as the music is good. But if it is simply a social group chatting and eating, and the group is too big and too loud, I also shut myself down. The bigger the group, the less empathy I feel, because it is so overwhelming that I can't. Another reason for shutting myself down could be, even if the group is smaller, if they are just talking nonsense and the humor doesn't match with me... I get bored. Sometimes I have been so shameless as to say I am going to the restroom and go to another location to read a book!!! Nowadays, maybe I would get myself distracted with my smartphone.

My point is: I think that happens to all kind of people and not only introverts, although it could happen to introverts rather faster. To find too much social interaction exhausting. But in both cases, we just have to learn to be polite and find an elegant way to get out of the situation, or find a worthy reason to put up with it and sacrifice ourselves πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

There's a 'minimalist' acting style you often see. Dr. Ye is played the same way Ji-an is in 'My Ajusshi'. Blank expression, monotone voice. IU said (something like) she was astounded by how much emotion can be wrung from such a still, affectless performance. Dr. Ye of course is being played that way for laughs,

Hi @bunny et al. A little late to the party but I enjoyed the (into/extro)vert discussion. This is an example of the thoughtful conversation we get here on DramaBeans.
A common kdrama trope as you all know is the introduction of soju to get the introverted or quiet character to open up.

I am very sleep deprived at the moment so I hope that whatever comes next makes sense.

Woo! Overall I did enjoy this week’s episodes but, well, let’s get the bad news out of the way first:

Dr. Ye makes me feel…

Nothing.

Oh, the sadness. I only just realized it this week. You see, I actually really like his character on a cerebral level and I have since the beginning. I was expecting to fall for him, but I’m… not. I felt nothing during that kiss. His backstory, while nice to learn about, didn’t tug at my heartstrings. He made me laugh during episode 12. He made me laugh a LOT! It was so cringe and so hilarious! But making me laugh is easy. I laugh at everything. Making me cry is somewhat more difficult, and making me swoon is a challenge. So I don’t blame him. And it’s not because of his reserved, stoic nature (see: Lee Ji-an and Nam Se-hee, my fave characters of the past year and maybe ever). It’s just not clicking for me on an emotional level.

While this man might not have my heart, he does have Bo-young’s, and I guess that’s what matters. I still like the idea of them together! And Bo-young has SO much of my heart that this doesn’t really impact my love for the show. Because I’m still loving it! Seeing Bo-young trade in her poetry for medical texts hit me hard, and I could relate to it on a certain level as a book-lover going into the medical field (although I do really like medicine as well). I love this girl and her sensitive soul. Seeing her smile so much this week made me so giddy.

You know who also made me feel this episode? Nam-woo! Gosh, is Shin Jae-ha good or what? I see so much potential in him and I NEED him to get a lead role already! The short, cheesy scenes with him and Mi-rae had me swooning the most I have since Gang-doo in Just Between Lovers. I don’t know why. Again, they were short and cheesy. It must be his smile. Please get a lead role so I can properly swoon over you! And cry, because you can make me cry at the drop of a hat and have ever since Page Turner!

Last but not least, Ha Seok-jin’s cameo gave me LIFE. Confession time: I’ve actually never seen him in anything (I know, I know) but this makes me want to fix that ASAP. Drinking Solo and 1% of Anything are on The List and I will get to them soon.

That’s all for now! Like Joo-yong, Joo-yong, I should be studying. I don’t want my exam scores to look like a shoe size.

Same, actually? Even as a resident BoHo, I thought I had a lot of love for Dr Ye, and expected to at least try to root for him, despite my bias? But. I didn't really care? Honestly, I didn't even think, "Nooo, my ship is dying!" when he confessed. I just. I dunno. Didn't feel much at all.

But, #TeamBoYoung. Sigh. I do secretly hope that being on her team holds a happier ending for Minho, though. Pleeeease?

*kicks Shin Jae-Ha into the stratosphere* Will the casting directors pay attention to this wonderful, will-kill-me-with-his-sad-puppy-face actor now? Please?

And ah, yes. I came back from a long day of classes so I gave myself a heck of some free time, but I suppose I should go study, too.

Thank you as always for the wee-cap, @saya!

Watch Radiant Office. He was so good in that!

For some reason that drama has never interested me, but I’ll give it a shot!

Yeah me too! I stopped after episode 3!

I watched it for Ha Suk Jin but ended up loving the Trio. <3

The romance in Radiant Office fell flat and mediocre and the office scenes were bland and boring but the friendship and growth between the trio (3 random strangers) and the themes they explore were exceptional, single handedly saving the drama for me.

Aw, I liked the gradual progression of that romance, but then again I prefer low-key romances. The trio was great.

*not so secretly adored almost every part of that drama (except for the stupid last episode), including the romance, and I liked HSJ in that WAY more than DS for example..*

@wishfultoki Most of my friends also loved the romance in RO so you're not alone but I guess it was way too mediocre to me and the friendship stood out more because it was a unique take that didn't rely on too many tropes unlike the romance.

@fencejumper Oh, I agree that the trio was the highlight - with just enough romance for my taste. So overall a very enjoyable watch.

I didn't even remember he was there. RO was very underwhelming and given that we're apparently twins (like for real I need to stop agreeing with you all the time this is so OOC for me) you probably won't like it much.

He was good, and I liked how we gradually learn he too is a bit of a dork. But it's the trio of contract workers and their struggle to just have a decent job and get respect, that really got me.

I wanted to watch this too. But I have just stopped caring for cancer dramas. πŸ˜…

but... but... *that's a spoiler sic* *i know but it might make more people watch it*

I want more people to watch that drama and realized what they have missed. After all it wasn't a romance drama. Right?

@purplesheesh I agree, it wasn't a romance drama, more about friendship and becoming a better person (sort of Misaeng but more "radiant") ... it's hard to convince people to watch it without giving away major spoilers - but let's just say it has a happy ending. Does that help, @fay17?

@wishfultoki That does help! I will pick it up someday again! Thank you! ^^

I was not remembering him as the guy from Page Turner.
It is sort of sad/funny that he is misreadimg Bo-Young and encouraging Min-ho's pursuit.

mindy! You MUST watch 1% of Anything like YESTERDAY, or now ;P. It was awesome!!!!!

I've heard!!!! And its episodes are short, right?! It's been on the list ever since it aired and people raved about it. Gah! I wish I could stop time and just watch ALL the dramas!

Yes! Only 16 episodes. I started it by mistake and was so surprised that I couldn't stop watching. Nothing fancy, cinematography wise, but the acting and story grabs your heart! β™₯

XD at your last line!

Dr. Ye makes me feel…

Nothing.

This. You nailed exactly how I feel, and I don't understand it. It's not like his character quite got derailed, because it didn't, but somehow, he's not quite emotionally accessible...in the same way? I mean, we know what he's feeling, but we don't feel it? I don't know! I just... don't feel it and I haven't figured out why. He doesn't quite feel like a real person anymore?

I don't know exactly, but yes, that odd ambivalent feeling is how I feel, but I thought I was the only one XD

Even though we see he is capable of emotions, somehow he still feels like a Ye-bot. I have trouble connecting with him.

I'm trying to figure out where it felt not-quite-right, because I was SO aboard this ship for weeks, I swore I'd go down with it even to the watery depths - I *felt* things. So I don't know what to attribute my current ambivalence to. Min-ho is irrelevant in the equation to me at the moment, so it leaves me with the question: what happened to disconnect me from Jae-wook? I still buy it in terms of objective merit (and after reading all the comments that detail all the ways he's great), but I usually feel something...more, which I'm not feeling right now? I'm confused myself by my own lack of feelings XD

All I can tell you is: even Bo young suggested she should wear (was she recognizing that he has?) A pocker face....
So that may also contribute to this disconnection?
The guy has a pocker face. He is inflexible. He is discreet and closed up. He hates gossip and apparently he doesn't have friends or family. Actually, he has some not so nice qualities that could make him unlikable, except that he is kind, decent, respectful, hard working, smart (at least in his field) and fair. It is just he shows all his good qualities alongside with his not so good qualities with the same pocker face. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
That may he the reason.

And again, my editing of just one word bold did not work in my last comment πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

Is Saya coming to the island? Yay, I want to stay then LOL. Ye Liner has been calling me for 4 episodes now (I think it was when he talked to himself in the mirror that I went "oooh, guy has feelings").

What's not right for me is that the love triangle has not been resolved yet. The writer postponed Min Ho's confession and heartbreak, which didn't let me enjoy Dr Ye and Bo Young getting to know each other better. I needed closure for Min Ho puppy if that's the way it's supposed to go.

@WishfulToki
According to her, @Saya has jumped ship to the (sinking) S.S. MinHoYoung.

Ye-bot. Rofl. You're attracting the beanie bots.

Also considering the fact that we know the guy can really excel at giving expressions. Anyone who has doubts can watch him on 'secret forest' lol.

This show's biggest selling point for me is its *mildness*. Its like a glass of warm milk while snuggled under a blanket. So I have no problem with Dr. Ye being found to be a mild character under the blank facade. Every character in the series has turned out to be milder than first presented.

Shin Jae Ha ended everyone with his poetry reading today. The emotions in his voice; all the feels. 😭 Whereas I felt nothing when Lee Joon Hyuk and Jang Dong Yoon read their poems.

Aww no! Dont say he makes you feel nothing! I think his character is quite developed as far as the writing goes. He is stoic, brilliant, jilted in love and stood up for the good even though it meant he had to betray his own kind! Most of all he is the one Bo Young wants! They have the same passion at work and share the love of poetry. And he has always treated her with respect which I really admire in a man. And he is funny (epi 12)!

@coffeeprince4eva Sadly even I feel nothing 😒 All your reasons make sense but it's never developed enough. He is certainly stoic and brilliant in his field (a pioneer of sling therapy) with a strong moral core that stands up to injustice, but the writing never goes deep. It's always superficial. Maybe in the future eps they'll explore this because so far we know he resigned because he was betrayed in his previous job but we were never let in to understanding his feelings- the extent of his betrayal, the amount of hurt he felt, the contemplation and the tough decisions he had to make when resigning etc. He seems very closed off and inaccessible even when he's alone and hence, I feel like we were just given the gist of his backstory and expected to roll along with it even though we weren't privy to the whole story. It's a lot like skimming the surface because he has never explained it in depth to anyone, not even Bo Young and all we were given is snippets through his flash back (in a flash back- very confusing) and convos with the gossiping nurses. I'm sure the next few eps will give us more and maybe then I'll be able to connect with Dr.Ye. I love how he treats her with respect (something Min Ho failed to do initially by sabotaging her) and appreciate their shared passions however, it seems more like a mentor relationship and not one based on love but instead infatuation. (I rambled so much πŸ˜‚)

Hehe! It is good rambling πŸ˜ƒ I am sure (or hope) the next few episodes will give us a little more insight on his personal life. I mean we haven’t seen the inside of his apartment as yet - only in snippets. I think they are keeping him as a mystery on purpose. The writers are probably playing with us to keep us in the dark for β€˜who is the main guy’ sort of thing! Just like the reply series! And I personally love a man of mystery 😁 Don’t you? πŸ˜‰

The writers probably have a trick up their sleeves then if their purposely shrouding Dr Ye with mystery. It makes me more antsy tho, I hope they don't detonate a bomb in the last 4 eps. πŸ˜‚

I am adoring how sincere and completely IN the relationship Jae-wook is.
Also, that his tambourine playing and slight smile was seen as effusive behavior from his co workers pic.

I think maybe Bo-Young will be a learning experience for Min-ho. One of those people in our lives that can make us, not change ourselves, but live up to our better potential.

Pic=pov

That's it. It's over. I'm going to pack my bags and leave. I'm packing Min Ho's and Nam Woo's bags too 'cause shouldn't their two months be over already? C'mon, puppies, let's go back to Min Ho's family's hospital. Joo Yong-Joo Yong can come with; it would be tragic to split up our Dumb, Dumb, and Dumber trio. I was going to offer Bo Young a full-time position since Sinsun Hospital clearly doesn't appreciate talent, and award her Employee of the Decade with a statue in the hospital lobby, but now that she's on Ye Line, her chief-to-be boyfriend can pull some strings.

Today's cliffhanger was Reply-levels trolling, but it was obvious Dr. Ye arrived first since Bo Young does not speak jondaemal to Min Ho because they are close. Whereas our couple calls each other "Ye seonsaengnim" and "Woo seonsaengnim" (if that's not close, I don't know what is). Giving us a morsel of Dr. Ye's backstory in ep 11 is too little, too late in my opinion. I know more about Dr. Park (twins celebrated their first birthday with a party, wife sells credit cards and can't meet her sales quota, mother hospitalized with shingles and left their family farm to babysit their kids) than I do Dr. Ye, yet he's supposed to be our hero?

As if kicking a puppy wasn't enough, run him over with Motorcycle of Doom, why don't you? Might as well have dropped his out-of-print poetry book in a puddle while you're at it. I figured student-patient Gyu Min would be the deciding factor in our game, so I was hoping Min Ho would be the one to connect with him and convince him to receive treatments since we know Min Ho played soccer (see, backstory).

If the writers want to throw puppy a bone, then I hope Bo Young accidentally discovers "A Season of Good Rain" in Min Ho's stuff. Or overhears Joo Yong telling Nam Woo Min Ho finally found the book after scouring the ends of the earth. I loved Joo Yong's "κ³ λ°±ν•΄ 인마." "μ•Œμ•˜μ–΄ 인마." ("Confess already, dude." "I got it, dude.") and "Are you kidding? Those suck ass."

As much as I want to believe, "There is still time. There are four eps left." (@isa's (@isthatacorner) mantra), and as much as I want to believe, "Date all you want. It only matters who she ends up with in ep 16," I honestly can't see any way of Bo Young breaking up with Dr. Ye. Unless she gets a lobotomy or switches brains with "Dr. Ye? Min Ho? Dr. Ye? Min Ho?" Dae Bang.

Now that my sink has sunk, Alligator Candy is my new ship. Holy cow, is Mi Rae the candiest Candy to have ever candied. While the boys can't hold a candle to Lee Yubi when it comes to ASMR, out of Lee Joon Hyuk, Jang Dong Yoon, and Shin Jae Ha, my favorite voice is Shin Jae Ha's. (Defconn's is a close second.) Indecisive Ppeong-igu is the OTP I didn't know I needed in my life. 😍 at Min Ho's "I was raised to treat my houseguests."

(cont.)

Now I have to wait an entire week to watch Bo Young rip Min Ho's heart out at a hotel buffet (can't wait). Special shout-out to MVP Nam Woo for fanning the flames "She definitely has feelings for you!"

Congratulations to @Saya and Ye-Liners!!

"As if kicking a puppy wasn't enough, run him over with Motorcycle of Doom, why don't you? Might as well have dropped his out-of-print poetry book in a puddle while you're at it."

Exactly my thoughts, it seemed a bit over the top - but i think the writer was just looking for an excuse to separate Minho and Boyoung and delay his confession/heartbreak.

@cloggie and I were talking about possible ways for BoYoung and Dr. Ye to break up and this is what we came up with:
My ideas
1. Dr. Ye gets transferred to another hospital very far away and breaks up with BoYoung.
2. Dr. Ye gets hit by a Truck of Doom
3. BoYoung gets tired of cringing at Dr. Ye’s awkwardness and breaks up with him.
4. Dr. Ye has some deep, dark secret that BoYoung finds out about and she dumps him.
5. BoYoung and Dr. Ye have a falling out over how to treat a patient and break up (this one is probably the most likely).

@cloggie's ideas:
6 They kiss and BY realises that Dr Ye has really stinky breath but doesn’t dare tell him. Look at her left hand in the kiss scene – she’s trying to push him away!
7. BY realises that the reality of dating Dr Ye isn’t as good as her dream of it but she can’t bring herself to break up with him (because, locked-in issues). Then Min Ho convinces her that boring normality isn’t what she wants if she can have fun Snoopy dances
8 Dr Ye’s ex gf is pregnant with his child which is why she’s been desperate to talk to him. BY is reminded of her father having a child with another woman and breaks up with Dr Ye. Short Time Skip to allow heartache. BY and MH live happily ever after.

LOL all your ideas are so funny and crazy and sooooo out of the writer's character!! Let alone Ye/Bo characters!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
But keep on dreaming. It is free 😊

You forgot the obvious - Dr Ye turns out to secretly be her brother.

Did her father have another love affair before he married Bo Young's mom? Makjaaaang!

It's like... I want to write a secret Yaoi stepbrother plotline with Dr Ye and Min-ho but I think that's a step too far.

Or Dr Ye is Min Ho's secret brother and has crafted his entire career to exact his revenge on Min Ho's family because his mother was left pregnant and destitute by the snobby father who seduced who while he was a resident at the hospital where she worked as a nurses aid.

Stepbrother. See above. Sorry #notsorry

Well, I wouldn't discard this imaginative Kim Dae Bang-style scenario. We don't know anything about Dr Ye's parents... only his mother appeared in that hospital flashback scene.

Brilliant! Siblings separated at birth is a fantastic idea πŸ˜„

No, not Truck of Doom! You don't want that either MinHoYoung. Statistically it is known to separate couples forever, or bring them together forever.

... I kind of like #8? Does that make me a bad person to want more angst?

Just no more hitting a puppy with a motorcycle angst...

Wait, I'm on Isle of Neutrality
I NEED SOMEONE TO DUCT TAPE ME TO A PINE TREE ASAP
@wishfultoki do you remember who has the duct tape?

@hotcocoagirl Your co-bartender/nurse has duct tape a plenty @ally-le

I've broken free from duct tape again cuz honestly Dr. Ye is a different kind of lead in dramaland and it's refreshing (I mean, now that I know he's the lead... he is, right?) I may not be convinced by the writing but I like where we got with him in ep. 12. If he turns out to have a shady past per #8, well, the writer must be evil chaotic MWAHAHA

Actually, @natzillagorilla has the duct tape.

Okay, because I need both duct tape to tie me up and one of the Island’s signature Duct Tapes to calm my mind

I can totally make a duct tape for you, and a plethora of other cocktails as well! We’ll need them!

We are being called by different ships @wishfultoki

@ally-le you are an absolute angel of alcohol, bless you

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ "fun Snoopy dances over boring normality" is the best phrase I've heard today.

Or...it was all a dream.

Or it was all BoYoung's imagination πŸ˜„

Dream sequences are evil. I still haven't forgiven Uncontrollably Fond's writer for the dream seq. they did.

Generally, I agree but if making the past ep a dream sequence is the only way my ship can sail, I'm all for it πŸ˜„

As evidenced by your ideas, anything goes for the sake of your preferred OTP :D

I have no words. I'm sorry. Would you like a Duct Tape? Because I suspect your ship has crashed onto the rocks of the Island of Neutrality.

Thank you, @ChinguMode (@leetennant)! Break out the alcohol! 🍸

I really think a Dark and Stormy is what we need on the island right now!

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ™Œ

YES! I can't relate to Dr.Ye because we literally know nothing about him and what we do know is like an impersonal summarised gist of the true story. We haven't been let in to his feelings, his anxiety and betrayal of his past hospital, his navigating of the pain after rejecting Bo Young (except for "why is my heart hurting so much"). He seems more like a mentor who suddenly shifted personalities once he confessed to Bo Young. I get it, maybe he became more lovey-dovey and light hearted once he realised he shouldn't be putting up walls but we were never given a true insight of why those walls were put up in the first place. I want to root for him but when he seems like a cardboard cut out (perfect in every way and even his flaws can be tied back to a strong moral core that stands up against any form of injustice) it's hard to root for him. He doesn't seem real. Their relationship seems like deep infatuation and only if the writers develop Dr.Ye more, will I acknowledge that they're meant for each other.

@panshel Take a bow. I will give you the comment of the week award. πŸ† :D
I have so many things to tell, so I might say nothing at all. I will just keep nodding silently in appreciation as I have been while reading your post.

πŸ’•πŸ’• Aww, THANKS, @fay17!! πŸ’•πŸ’•

Did my comment come off as too bitter? I mean, I'm super bitter, but at the same time, I honestly don't care whom she ends up with. It's no big deal if my ship sinks; it certainly won't be the first time my ship didn't sail. I was genuinely congratulating Ye-Liners.

No, say the things!! I would love to hear them. I could write an essay about this show.

I don't do the shipping thing. My way is to just root for the gal to get what man she wants. Sure, sometimes it's the tsundere or the bad boy so it is what it is. We all have our k-drama survival mechanisms and this is mine. Having said that, after she professed her love, there was no going back and switching to Min Ho because that means she doesn't know her own heart and is on the fickle side of things and that I can't respect. This is why the Reply series and a drama like Jealousy Incarnate just don't work with me.

So I liked how Ye professed his feelings, loved how crybaby was so excited and open to it and then the fun of seeing that it was Ye who was going to totally suck at keeping things on the down low. Just a nice episode and also nice that I-used-to-be-rich dude got more of a story. I'm definitely enjoying the romance more in this drama than Let's Drink, but I have to admit the trio of students in Let's Drink gave me a lot of laughs most especially the crashing of the reunion fight.

I'm like that too, I never really have SLS because I always end up rooting for the couple I think has genuine and mutual feelings for each other. BUT if I think it doesn't make sense (*cough* Reply 1988 *cough*) or it wasn't developed naturally, I don't care or I get annoyed.

The only way i see boyoung ending up with minho, is that truck of doom kills dr. Ye (good lord) and after a considerate time jump, boyoung and minho meet again and start anew. Because her deciding she doesnt like dr. Ye after all would completely destroy her character and i would lose all respect for her.
Im happy with her being with dr ye and all, but now that it happened i wanna see what could have beeeeennn (I AM THE FICKLE ONE).

I think Bo Young is going to get to know Dr Ye and find out there really isn't anything there after all the things she imagined. She has had him on a pedestal for quite awhile.
It will be painful and not a little awkward for her to realize that she was infatuated with the idea of who she THOUGHT he is, than the reality.
At some point she is going to realize that what is important is where she feels most herself and what a treat that is - and it won't be dr ye.
Like Drinking Solo, I'm loving the three stooges plus the radiologist thrust into their midst.

Finally, I've wondered for awhile if the writer didn't select the poem first, then write the story around it.

Oooouhhhh interesting!! Your point is reallllyyy valid and itd be a poetic ending if it ended that way. Itd make her a stronger person.

I have to agree with @panshel on this. Bo Young and Ye Jae Wook have not entered into this lightly. And ofc she's discovering new things about him - that's exactly how it is once you get to know someone. She doesn't have to like all of it, but I don't think Bo Young's thinking is as harsh as you're making it out to be.

(lol..or what the writer has conceived of Bo Young anyway. ^^; But frankly, the writer's thinking is harsh given the treatment meted out to Min Ho these eps and its a drama. Hard to predict, even though we can predict)

One of the reasons I think Ye Jae Wook is endgame here, is that in this last episode Bo-young never gave a thought to Min-ho. He wasn't at work, and he wasn't in her mind either. Even when she did see him, her inquiry about what he wanted to say was polite, but her head was still with Jae Wook.

But who knows, I could be completely wrong. :(

There's a kiss as well. As per dramaland's rules on concepts of "purity", that seals the deal. I know some dramas differ, but largely, no.

@greenfields True. Very few veer from that standard, and I can only think of a couple off the top of my head, but they (Jealousy Incarnate, and Marriage not Dating) had completely different vibes than Poetry does.

@greenfields
First love trumps kiss in kdramaland

i think she was looking at their beach photo and looking all contemplative in ep12.. it was on her break when she went to throw the cup in the garbage can.

I have felt, yes, the writer wrote his story based on the poems (which Is awesomeπŸŽ‰), and I think he made Jae wook deliberately like that, because he is breaking the rule of the second lead. Jae wook, although present, has been "presented" more or less as the second lead, but now he is the first?? (I hope you get me, and although some beanies said that things can change in the last four episodes, I believe he is the end game). And we will only get to know more about him in three second half of the show rather than in the first...? And nevertheless he is still very closed and make some feel nothing...??? But I am proud he has been very decent, fair and attentive although we didn't get to know exactly why, because yes, we were missing his background, or his feelings, but he himself said he was not in touch with his emotions. Is it fair that such a "robotic advising machine" falls in love (in his particular way) and be able to get the girl, well... I think the writer wants to show you, yes, it is possible. And that is interesting for me.
In addition, this is a slice of life show. It is not all about the romance. It is about living, learning and caring, since they are all in the field of medicine. I think this show is a lot about healing and that is why I love it so much. The romance, and the love triangle, and the shipping war were all added bonuses! 😊😊

Didn't want to make all the second part of my comment Italic, only the word: "nothing", but something happened with my editing πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

i loved your inputs on Dr. Ye. And i am happy that there are many beanies who can understand him and his "untouched emotions" if not all.
and as you said this drama gives hope that a true gentleman as he is can surely get a girl at the end. He never mistreated her,never demeaned her, he was always the GOOD MAN and such deserves happiness.

Am protective towards him cause i feel i see myself in him at times when he doodled hearts and was making brief movement for the picture.. cause i feel i can't get anyone in my life being like that.

I have come to think about him a lot, and for me, I would not fall for him. I mean, I don't think so, I like open people, flexible people. I like men who can laugh out loud and dance. But... here is the thing: I love him for Bo young.
Don't get me wrong, I think she is better than him, and she could also be better by herself. But since she likes him, his professionalism, his intelligence and fairness, I also like him for her.
She is a Sun and can (and has already giving him) reasons to smile, laugh and dream, and be inspired by poetry. But he can complement her so well as well, he is grounded, stable and kind and correct in the way he does everything. I don't want to sound materialistic, but it doesn't hurt he is already successful, has his own apartment and own car. πŸ˜¬πŸ™„πŸ˜€πŸ˜‚
Of course, we won't know if eventually it will jerk her that he is not "very flexible", or if it will bother him that she really gets emotionally invested "with everybody". She is too open for him and he is too closed for her. You could said that... But I like that the in the beginning of their relationship they have been communicative with each other and truthful, because that is the most important thing, to communicate and to tell the truth.
It is too early to think about what could go wrong, but for a work place romance, I think this one is very well done.
In their lives work is very important, and family (at least her family), and friends, and I like how balance this show makes it look like. The romance is there, and of course it makes our hearts flutter, but it is not EVERYTHING!
She still wants to have a permanent position, and he... well, it seems he will learn to be in touch with his emotions.
There is still 4 episodes left. πŸŽ‰πŸŠπŸŽ‰

@javinne
you explained it so well. and how Dr. Ye and BY are good for each other.
I'd neither look for a man like Dr. Ye at heart cause thats me (still personality and look wise someone like him can make me giggle like BY) I am exactly how he has been shown in this drama so far. and a person as flexible and easygoing and open like BY is more fit for such character...
2 Dr. Ye kind people together life would be very difficult.. no one would want to initiate and whole life will go in waiting.

so a balance in personalities traits has to be their for a love team of partners.

@javinne
You do make sense about why Dr Ye and Bo Young are good for each other, but it still makes me uncomfortable. I'd like to be won over a little more by him. Maybe the next two episodes will do that.
I would like to see her acting as comfortable around him as she is with Min Ho.
We shall see, I'm slowing floating towards the island of neutrality and trying to stay on the ship of Min Ho.

Yeah, they're never breaking up. That's why Min Ho wasn't even in the preview. The key to our endgame was always Dr. Ye. I mean, sure, Bo Young's feelings matter, but if Dr. Ye had turned her down, that is the only way Min Ho would have had a chance. If Dr. Ye had reciprocated, Bo Young is never changing her mind.

So your ending involves a Truck of Doom and a time jump? I'm sure you could fit some amnesia and a birth secret in if you tried.

LOL πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚β™₯

HAHAHAHAHHA this is why I am *clearly* no writer, yet I give writers a hard time XD

Haha, Grand U-turn of love! Now I'm going to be giggling every time I make a u-turn.

Minho-Daebang-daebang is the bromance that I didn't know I needed. And poor Namwoo, his backstory was heartbreaking. And the poem that went with it, augh.

β€œYES FINALLY JAE-WOOK CONFESSES AND TELLS HER HE REALLY LIKES HER THANK YOU GOD. Bo-young can’t believe it either, and who can blame her, with that imagination. But I feel so sad for Min-ho? How can you have second-lead syndrome when you weren’t even shipping the second lead? (Is he even the second lead?) WHAT IS THIS SADNESS IN MY HEART.β€œ

Thank you @saya for the recap ~~!! I totally agree with and echo all that you’ve written out, and thankfully, all of us APAD fans have recapped like you to coherently and eloquently put our feels and thoughts together in such a beautiful way... instead of, yunno, not in such a beautiful and eloquent way πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

*recappers like you

Even though though the only way I will jump off the Ye-Line is if it turns out Dr. Ye is secretly a serial killer who uses those slings for no good, I really hope, if the Min-ho ship truly is sunk, that the writer doesn't completely abandon him. While I enjoyed the Grand U-Turn of Love and all that followed for Dr. Ye and Bo-young, I thought the Scooter hit of Humiliation was a cheap trick and a sloppy way to make Min-ho's timing off.

What I really want to see for Min-ho, especially since he has grown tremendously from the kid we saw having a tantrum on the floor, is continued personal development, along with some professional development. I want him to really want to be a good PT, and work at. Or find the thing he does want to do. And then I want his family to be forced to grovel and admit they are horrible horrible people. He's already cultivating a new found family, and honestly I would watch those boys live and work together in a whole new show of their own.

Nam-woo better be happy by the end of episode 16, and not just putting on a happy face happy. I want him to have the girl, a closet full of alligator shirts, and his parents settled in a nearby apartment with steady jobs.

That tantrum scene was what kept me watching...
I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard when i watched it.

Agreed - the Scooter Hit of Humiliation was completely unnecessary because as @saya points out, even if he HAD reached first and confessed, he would have been turned down. What's more, Ye Jae Wook had made up his mind. Even if he'd had to interrupt them or do it on another day, Ye Jae Wook would have done it soon, and the outcome would have been the same. Frankly speaking, his confession wasn't impulsive like Min Ho's would have been.

In this case, nobody is leaving for another country, and "timing" doesn't come down to a split second. As long as Bo Young has these romantic feelings for Ye Jae Wook (and he doesn't use his slings for no good), he can confess and expect a positive response.

I thought this of Reply 1988 as well. Ryu Jun Yeol's character gave up, is the problem. He didn't really fight for her; but Taek - with his competitive spirit - did. That movie date was the turning point because that's when he gave up; but there as well, the "timing" was spread out over so many years.

With all the comparisons to Reply 88, I might actually have to watch it.

And you're right, Jae-Wook made up his mind and acted on it, whereas Min-ho needed to prodded by his friends.

Let's hope Ye Jae Wook only uses his slings for good, and especially only with those who consent.

I started this with my mom, but have yet to finish it. It so brought me back to my childhood, the 80’s, and I already knew the twist before I started it. Actually, I probably know the whole story just from reading about it here on DB from other Beanies!

1988 is wonderful! I say this all the time and probably sound like a broken record, but the focus is on the family relationships, both within the individual families and between the families in the neighborhood, and not the romance. So even if you end up on the wrong ship, the show is still thoroughly enjoyable. I’d say its major flaw is that it’s too long, both in episode count and length. Could’ve used a ruthless editor.

Still, a very heartwarming watch. πŸ’–

So the lesson here is you get one chance, don't screw it up. Min Ho had his chance and didn't want it. Jung Hwan (reply 1988) had plenty of chances, but just couldn't/wouldn't take the risk of being rejected or teased...oh, hell, who knows what his problem was?

The thing is, both heroines are so warm and caring...I mean, they MUST love somebody. I love Reply 1988 so much, but it did seem to me that Duk Seon could have ended up with either guy and found happiness. I wonder if it's the same case here? Bo Young has to have somebody to love...I wish I were more convinced that it's absolutely, positively Ye she needs to have in her life.

Frankly, I'm on the Bo Young ship. Girl, you take care of yourself. Get a permanent job, find a way to write poetry, be happy...and THEN get the guy!

Oh! Well said about Duk Seon and Bo Young. It really can he either guy and she'll be happy. I'm also not sure why it should be Dr Ye over Min Ho, except for the fact that Bo Young likes Dr Ye, so ofc it must be him.

Me? I prefer Dr Ye, but you've pointed out Bo Young beautifully.

My sweetheart bae deserves love, damnit. LOVE. And not "random episode 12 character love". Real love!

And not just with his 🐊

I agree with you on all counts! I've definitely been Ye-Line all the way this whole time, and this weeks episodes made me squee so hard, but I did kind of wish that Min-ho could have gotten his confession and rejection out of the way. Or maybe instead of getting hit by a motorcycle, he could have witnessed Dr. Ye's confession instead, which would have sucked but at least would have allowed him to save his pride a little. (Though considering how much he's humiliated and taken advantage of Bo-young in the past, I'm not that torn up about his suffering, tbh.)

I actually really like Bo-young and Min-ho as friends, so I want him to get some time to nurse his wounds, mature and find his professional calling, and get to a place where he can happily be friends with her.

For now, I'm glad I chose to be on the Isle of Neutrality. Ye Je Wook was SUPER CUTE and I've been partial to the Ye Liner throughout the show; but a couple of things nagged at me re ep 12:

1. I liked the idea of a superior at work who is also a friend. And I kind of continued to get that platonic vibe even though what was happening on screen was the complete opposite.

2. They went from friends-colleagues to lovers very fast. Emotionally, I mean. Despite the awkwardness at hiding the relationship, they slipped into actual relationship mode naturally, no problem at all. Is that how much they wanted to be together? Or is it just me that needs time to switch gears.

What didn't nag at me was that kiss at the end - which was well timed and nicely done (very nicely in fact, I know a bit dirty would have been out-of-character-for-the-show, but c'mon dramaland?). And the preview promises more of these cute kisses! *squeals*

I’m on the exact same island, with about the same thoughts here. But a couple things:

1. Both male leads are emotionally closed off and immature, and Bo-young is the antithesis of both of them.

2. She wears her heart on her sleeve and I kind of think that heart is changeable and fickle.

3. Therefore, with those two theorems, my conclusion is that she still ends up with Min-ho, although I can see her with either. Because, kdrama twists and all.

So, on the island I stay...because my preference will not get the girl, come what may.

I agree about kdrama twists and all. But I think the twist may have already happened. After Ye Jae Wook turned her down, we spent a couple of eps giving the MinHoYoung much hope, before twisting right back to Ye Jae Wook. Around four eps to go is the Kdrama norm for the OTP to get together and MOST IMPORTANTLY, there was a kiss.

Because of dramaland's fascination with "purity", it's almost certain that a kiss means the deal is sealed. Yes, I can think of MANY shows that differ, but their number is vastly overwhelmed by the number of shows that follow this Rule, imo.

Well, I’m kind of thinking that several shows are recentile breaking some kdrama tropes and rules and I have a nagging suspicion that writer-him has something up his sleeve. Min-ho still has the elusive poetry book, and I’m convinced that he likes her more than Dr.Ye. I still think there’s a back-story there that we haven’t seen yet, like maybe that book was tied to him as well, and they’ll share some connection and she’ll wake up from this Ye-dream and go to him. Shoot, if I married the first boy I kissed....oh, wait, I did. Nevermind.

Awww Ally! <3 to your last line!

I wonder if what feels off is that there's some kind of chemistry mismatch between Lee Joon-hyuk and Lee Yubi? Like, as characters they make sense together, but somehow that isn't translating into romantic chemistry. I don't think all (drama) relationships ever HAVE to have romantic tension, but maybe I've come to expect it?

I also am not convinced that the kiss has sealed it - I was wrong with Jealousy Incarnate, and I wouldn't be surprised to be wrong here. Actually, I really want to be.

I guess I'm on the Min-ho ship after all. When did this happen. Last week I was on the Isle of Neutrality XD

Okay I need to comment because this is bugging me.
Can someone explain why Bo Yung likes Dr Ye? I mean, he has treated her nice and she looks up to him, but she didn't start fangirling over him until the rest of the staff started to egg her on.
This relationship, no matter how cute, just isn't resonating with me. I feel like it is more of a crush or admiration than truly liking him for who he is.
Even if she doesn't end up with Min Ho at the end I'd be okay with it - as long as she grows up and is honest about how she feels and why she feels it for whoever she ends up with.
God knows (hell we all know) BY deserves the best person out there who will help her become all she can be and allow her to give to him.
Can you tell I'm in 'mom mode' now?
*stepping/falling off my high horse*

@saya @stpauligurl @ally-le - I think chemistry mismatch is the right word. But like Saya, I don't think the OTP always has to HAVE romantic tension.

RE the kiss sealing it, there are many examples where there is more than one guy being kissed by the female lead, I just meant that the number of examples of kiss scenes sealing theh deal are also plenty. XD But then again, I am admittedly partial to the Ye Line, so you know I'm looking for excuses.

Bo Young liking Dr Ye did not begin by the others egging her on, imo. The "Ye Line" in the Show is not romantic - it refers to her being in his good graces in the professional sphere of things. And they stopped the romantic hints once they heard of his past. Bo Young's feelings continued to develop after that - that's all her.

Shoot, if I married the first boy I kissed....oh, wait, I did. Nevermind

LOL πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Ally, you are so funny!!! πŸ˜¬πŸ˜€πŸ˜Š

Don't make me watch the show next week! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚I'm trying not to. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Ship Bo-Young is what it's all about. But, yes, I think she'll end up with Min-ho. I'm ambivalent about both ships at this point.

Truer words were never spoken! Hear hear for Ship Bo Young! ^^

1 day now? Are you excited?