Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim: I loved how off-kilter the introduction to this oddball pairing was, with us all wondering what was up with Secretary Kim and having her reactions so opaque and coated in cheerful professionalism. This looks like it’s going to be an adorable pairing, and I’m just glad to have a romance to root for again. I feel like this drama is completely dependent upon these two actors, but as long as they keep being awkward and hilarious, I’m happy.

Are You Human Too: I was so excited about this drama mostly because of the production team, who have done some great work (director: Gaksital, Joseon Gunman, writer: The Princess’s Man), and I think this show is stronger when it’s being a drama and less so when it’s attempting a light, comedic touch — they’re just not comedy folks. But where it has me is the premise of a robot Shin impersonating a human, which gives rise to the intriguing question of whether a machine with high intelligence can have something like consciousness or feelings. The science may feel like it’s too unrealistic to live in this world, but I just imagine we’re in some Westworld-ian type of future where robots look fully human and possess awareness. I’m Not a Robot was adorable because she was human, but Are You Human Too hints at a deeper exploration because we’re with the robot Shin rather than the human Shin, and I don’t quite know how to feel about this situation — I’m uncertain, but in a good way. The series may not live up to its setup since it’s got a tall order to fulfill, but I sure hope it tries.

girlfriday

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim: These two characters are both so smart and so dumb in similar ways, which makes their relationship feel very evenly matched. I just like the simple conflict of the heroine wanting to reclaim her identity as Kim Mi-so and not Secretary Kim, and the totally obvious (to everyone but them) affection they have for one another. As a bonus, they’re both incredibly petty and childish, which makes for my favorite kind of jealous rom-com hijinks.

dramallama

Suits: Perfect casting, mediocre drama. The first episode was almost an exact replica of the original version’s pilot, and it became more telling that the plotlines were poorly recycled into this watered-down Korean version as the series continued. I only watched for the characters, and despite the lazy writing, the Jang Dong-gun/Park Hyung-shik bromance was charming and exactly what I wanted. That tearjerking final episode was a little too idealistic for me, but it did its job of making me forget all the plot holes. Probably won’t rewatch this, but I would love to see this duo act together again. Make it happen, casting directors!

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim: This show got me hooked with its cheeky humor and promising chemistry. I’m a little wary of Young-joon’s character because the last time Park Seo-joon played a rich asshole with a mysterious past that was intended to evoke sympathy, he was just an asshole deserving of none of my sympathy. But I’m into this Park Seo-joon and Park Min-young pairing, and I hope that their combined rom-com prowess will make for an entertaining watch.

odilettante

Handsome Guy and Jung-eum: There’s nothing particularly special about this rom-com and I keep anticipating that each new week will be the week I decide to drop it. But each week I find myself more and more charmed by the characters and the easygoing plot that doesn’t require too much effort to follow along. Sure, this is the kind of rom-com we’ve seen a million times before, but it’s just such a pleasant, undemanding watch each week, which is apparently just what I need right now.

Life on Mars: As a fan of the original BBC version, I was a little worried at first by all the changes that were made. But then the magical tones of David Bowie began to play and Park Sung-woong appeared and suddenly everything was right with the world. Well, maybe not for Tae-joo’s world, but for this fan, I’m happy to know that this promises to be a reasonably faithful adaptation, with a cast that’s perfect for their roles and gorgeous cinematography. My only regret is that I’m not as familiar with 1980s Korean pop culture as I feel I ought to be to properly enjoy every nuance.

TeriYaki

Investigation Couple: I’m still enjoying the tension between the NSF and prosecutorial team but I do find Park Eun-suk’s character overly emotional. His decade-long vendetta against Baek-beom (Jung Jae-young) has no place in his office and he shouldn’t be anywhere near the case. While I am curious to know the truth about the romantic triangle that Baek-beom found himself in, I’m super bothered by the unprofessionalism of the lead prosecutor. At least it will be satisfying when he (hopefully) realizes that he’s misjudged the medical examiner for too long.

Greasy Melo: I took a break to check out some new shows and now I’m slowly getting caught up. Very slowly. I’m up to Episode 14 and had to hit pause when it looked as if Chil-sung was in danger. Jang Hyuk is slaying me as the lovestruck gangster with the big heart and I can’t bear to watch anything bad happen to him. I’m actually thankful that he wears sunglasses so often because, those eyes! He’s very subtle, but his eyes convey such sadness and longing. I need to overcome my fears so that I can get back to Greasy Melo and fully enjoy Jang Hyuk’s performance but I can only take so much.

About Time: I was caught off-guard by this week’s developments. With Do-ha surrounded by the women of his past, present and (possibly) future, I didn’t expect the showdown to hit pause in order to focus on his brothers, Do-san and Do-bin. Suffice it to say that I completely forgot about the women in appreciation of the brotherly bond between Do-ha and Do-san and grieved for the missed opportunity for his father and Do-bin to give him some love. Family members can inflict the deepest of wounds and About Time illustrated that movingly.

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim: It’s obvious that Young-joon has his personality challenges, but this week I realized that Mi-so has her own issues that make a romantic connection with her boss a tall order. She is a very literal person who takes everything that Young-joon says as a personal challenge and misses his clumsy attempts at humor. The company competition highlighted the disconnect perfectly and both boss and secretary, even after so many years together, have lots to learn about each other. The competition was hilarious and watching Mi-so tackle the obstacle course (that bouncing horse!) explains so much about her.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Suits - I've finished this with a surprising degree of satisfaction. I like that finally we hear the reason Kang Seok decided to hire Yeon Woo, that the multiple relationships (both friendly and utilitarian) were resolved or on their way to being resolved, that the crooked guy arc played out satisfactorily, that Yeon Woo chose the right path and BEST of all, that he got his long-unfulfilled wish of that mighty fist bump with KS, and what that meant. Sweet! Loved how he gave as good as he got, when the fist-bump tables were turned. It was a fun watch!

What's Wrong With Secretary Kim : This one is all about the romance. We viewers are going to have to buy into this OTP and be absolutely convinced that they are right for each other. And it is working, very, very well indeed!! Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young together and apart are very winning. Now to see if the Morpheus and bad-blood side story plays out well to aid or frustrate (I think the latter, to begin with and maybe the former towards the end?) the OTP relationship. Whatever the case, the Park-Park interactions on screen look deserving of Squees.

Oh... and is there an award for a series with the most (unnecessary?) bare, male lead torso scenes within the first few episodes? LOLOL. What a hoot. I laughed myself silly each time PSJ appeared without a shirt. I'm sure some of us kept count... (were there 3 in the 4 episodes?). We just have to keep watching to see if we get any more or many more!!!

Life on Mars and Sketch - these are both crime-mystery shows with a supernatural twist, and both are good. The former may be a shade darker than the latter, but both are well executed. The essential part of my loving these shows is seeing how disenfranchised or disparate individuals get together with others to become team-members who can trust each other. All that and the over arcing crime-mystery is riveting to the core. I always feel that in these shows, there's so much going on that's so good, that there's really no need for romance. However if it somehow crops up, I always hope that it is a natural process and does not divert the focus of the show.

The latest episode of Sketch was strangely by turns over-suspenseful and full of action in the first half and in the later half, it had scenes with too many long pauses. The momentum was a bit off, especially for a cliff-hanger.

Lawless Lawyer - I thought it might deviate into shallower territory with the romance suddenly taking off, so fast, ... however there are nice twists and interesting villains and side characters, and the show stays on pointe with the plot. Each character is getting a chance to be showcased, and true motives are slowly coming to light. The question always remains whether the 'love' or 'loyalty' of a not-so-good guy was ever true eventhough tainted, so I'd like to watch to the end to see who is really bad and who may come around.

About Time and...

About Time and Handsome Guy/The Undateables - I expected that I might drop one or both of them,... however to my surprise, I still find both quite watchable. About Time might be trying (trying too hard?) to make a statement that life is short and we need to live it without regret. It could have given us something a little deeper that we could do with our short lives, but it sort of remained at the level of - doing what makes us happy - which is all well and good, but I found not really sufficient, since it did not develop on what else could bring true joy. It's gone a little out of focus plotwise, because I thought we were supposed to be intent of getting our girl to live longer rather than on first loves voice problems, unhappy fiancees, chaebol nastiness towards their own and other deaths.

As for the Undateables - I've managed to get over the expressions (lack of, or overdone, or repeated) on the faces of our OTP, and am just watching for fun. As long as the fun does not become annoying, I'm still in. The option to drop this still remains, of course.

LOL, agree with you on the bare male torso! I laugh every time!

☑️ Me off for the many more, please 😁

I'm going to have to change around what I said above. Just watched Ep 3 of Life on Mars and was crying with laughter. It's Sketch that's the darker show. LoM is fun entertainment masquerading as a serious time-travel, crime procedural. Maybe we'll get back to the darker theme soon, but it's rollicking good fun now.

I just couldn't stop laughing at the hospital fight scene and after the chase scene where Officer Yoon takes down the culprit, like a real badass cop... then just an innocent move from her to adjust her skirt, but Dong Chul reacts to protect the family jewels. LOLOL.

The serial killer case has taken a backseat, but I hope, not for long if that's the reason why Tae Joon is back in time, he and we are waiting to know if solving it is going to get him home.

come and huge me. In 1 hours there is just around 18 min worth watching and focus on the narrative. I'm really dissapoint with the writers so far. , The show has some of the most passionate acting I've seen on tv this year. Man those fire among actor. Please writers give us the juicy part. Your PD and actor will be wasted in this. Don't give up writers! Please get rid of those cheesy scene. 😂😰

Life on Mars : fuckin promising, and I'm pleasantly surprise to engage in the whole 2 hours of the whole thing. And Jung Kyung Ho is fuckin awsome. I think it's his best acting since Heartless City. Those fire he show omg! More please more!

Lawless Lawyer. The show lament towards trendy drama I guess, the show is engaging when the cast trying to take over the limelight with their acting and acting chemistry. Their dynamic in earlier episode seems tone down alot.

Mrs Hammurabi One of the best show this year for me. The end

I can't agree more on Come and Hug Me(love your typo by the way. Jang Ki Yong is huge and will be huge!). As much as I love Na Moo and Nak Won, I can only take that much long gazes and flashbacks. I'm already anticipating Jang Ki Yong's next project and hopefully a better writer.

Lawless Lawyer - At first glance, it seems like a noir film but I'm afraid the writer isn't up to it.

Lawless Lawyer, those boring judge scene bore me to tears. Lol. This writers...

Jang Ki Young is really one of the most promising rookie male actor with My Ajusshi and and now Come and Hug Me this year. He is waste in those romantic scene with Nak Won. So is his counterpart Nam Da Reum. He has passion and it's one of most important think to actor if they serious in acting. As long as he is wise enough to pick his next project.

If I am not wrong, this is his first lead role. I like that he's already proving his versatility. He's not only good but exciting because you never know what type of character he's gonna play next.

Whats Wrong With Secretary Kim: This week's episodes showed us Mi So's imperfections and established the attraction between our leads.
Are You Human Too: really loved this week's episodes. Gearing UP for Another great week.
I Can Hear Voice: Liking it so far but currently on hold

You are watching I hear your voice for the first time????? 😮
I envy you so much!
I wish I could watch it for the first time over and over again, because it is so good! 🙃😀
It is not perfect, of course, but it is one of the best shows out there.

This is one of the reason's I like to read WWW but also the danger. I love to read beanies rave about one of their favorite dramas in this case I CAN HEAR YOUR VOICE (2013). Then with me what happens is (like now):
1. Check out the drama's wiki page;
2. Like the leads and find the story intriguing;
3. Discover that (in this case) it is available on DF; and
4. Add ICHYV to my watch-list and make my summer rerun viewing list even longer.

Okay, I may be the only one, but Come and Hug Me continues to pull me deeper into it's grasp. I wait for this show to air every week and just love it to bits.

I really enjoy the slow moments, they give the show a precariousness where it feels like Namu is the golden chain keeping all the pearls in place while his father is the hand that wants to rip it off.

I just love that show y'all. So far, it has done no wrong for me.

Same here, @veeee. COME AND HUG ME is magnetic.

"Kishoutenketsu" is my mantra for this show. I think of it as a character study of interpersonal relationships as well as the individuals themselves. The deliberate pacing makes perfect sense as there is a lot of inner terrain to cover.

It will be interesting to see if Psycho Dad's real back story is ever revealed. How did he get to be the way he is? Could it have been prevented? Why was Hyun-moo vulnerable to Dad's malign influence, but apparently not Namoo?

Magnetic is the perfect way to describe it and I love "Kishoutenketsu," is that a Japanese term?

The dads backstory was slightly touched on when they mentioned that he didn't have the best upbriging. I think DJ mentioned it to the other reporter who showed up at his graduation.

I definitely want to learn more about the father though, for instance, what does he really think about the guards around him? Is he manipulating people in the jail?

@veeee,

Ki-sho-ten-ketsu is the Japanese term for a 4-part plotting format that is endemic to manga, which are drawn with 4 panels. It is based on a classical Chinese poetry form. It does not rely on conflict to advance the plot, and can seem pointless and boring to viewers raised on Western three-act dramas. It works great for slice-of-life stories and character studies.

I've posted numerous links to background articles on it on my fan wall, which by now are way far down.

Here are two that I find especially good:

still eating oranges blog: "The significance of plot without conflict"
-- There are several later posts on the subject, too.

The FOUR Part construction "Ki-Sho-Ten-Ketsu" - Japanese Manga 101 #049

After reading up on Ki-sho-ten-ketsu, I have a much better feel for Kdramas, their narrative devices, and pacing.

Enjoy!

I missed last week's episodes of CAHM but since there were only 2 rather than the usual 4 I will be caught up soon. I loved your description:

Some have complained of the pace of the drama but to me It has been fine. I really like the scene where his sunbae
placed his hand on Nam-moo's in the car. The type of "real" paternal gesture he never experienced.

Yes! All the tiny details of familiar like gestures to DJ are so resonant because he never experienced anything like that! The scene were he teared up at his graduation window when he saw all the fathers/parents taking photos with their children was so touching, mostly because he did not get to have that experience.

Also, it is really cool how you added that quote!

Dramas
* The boy next door E1-15: 1.5hour filled with awkward/misunderstood situations with BGM on point : I laughed a lot, it’s the first time throughout a whole serie I’ve said the same word over and over again “Aniya 아니야!” ^^’ , the MV in ep14 was the best, I think I’ll rewatch it from time to time x).

* Go back couple E1-12 : How can a Rom-com break my heart, put it back together, make me laugh like crazy, teach me life lessons and that in every single episode ? Well that was my Go back couple marathon : a very good drama , I love it. However I’ve switch my brain off on the time traveling issue : like what they did should have changed the future, their memories and so on, but with time travel I always end up with a headache thinking about outcomes so I won’t think about it ^^’.

* What’s wrong with secretary Kim E1-3 : I don’t get the hype : since ep1 I was a bit bored : why ? Because I see it as a combination of past dramas, situations over used and the plot is not new at all, I laughed at some scene but using secret house garden doesn’t help : I can’t help comparing to secret garden which had me in stitches, that one nope. This drama is like a schedule filler I can drop it, put it on hold, pick it up and well that’s what I already did with ep4 I haven’t watched yet. Regarding the flood on the fan wall I’ll know each ep w/o watching it I think ^^’ .

K-shows
*1n2d E219 : Jung PD special part 2 : very good ep this week again ! The way JJY is helping members get over their weakness is heartwarming and hilarious at the same time : I mean who whiten only one tooth pwahaha x) , DongGu had another of his best funny moments on 1n2d goodbye credibility as an actor ^^’, last but not least the brain separation game with drawing a circle and a triangle was the best , so funny thank you 1n2d <3 !

*I live alone E247 : Hwasa part was funny but the best was Kian84 this new hair cut looks good ! Can’t wait to see Hye Jin drawing ^^’

I marathoned Go Back Couple a few weeks ago! Loved it too... I could even forgive the time travel logic because of the crazy reveal at the end of the drama.

I have the same feeling about Secretary Kim, that it's already been done. I remember people who didn't watch APAD following it on the fanwall... looks like that's going to me and What's Wrong with Secretary Kim?

“Aniya 아니야!”

LOL! I love the OTP.

I'm with you on Go Back Couple. I don't cry easily but damn, that drama made me bawl like a baby. It's an awesomely sweet, funny and touching gem of a drama.

I'm also not sure if I'd continue with WWWSK. I'll put it on the hold first because I just picked up Life on Mars. This one kinda hooked me from the start. Plus I got Live to continue with.

Part 1 of 2

Currently Live-Watching

ABOUT TIME:
A strangely engrossing show. (YMMV.) Lord knows how those death countdown timers work. They bring to mind the Robert Heinlein short story “Life Line.” I haven't figured out why Choi Michaela's timer sometimes – but not always – reverses when she's around boss Lee Do-ha. Hyung Yoon Do-San's arc this week was touching, and I enjoyed Jung Moon-Sung's performance. I have an inkling that eldest hyung Do-bin (Min Sung-wook) may be less of a jerk than meets the eye. Alas, Dear Old Dad seems to be reenacting the Strife of Princes. Beth has sunk to a despicable new low. I truly do not understand her. Im Se-mi is doing a great job. She first caught my eye as the young queen in THE KING'S DAUGHTER, SOO BAEK HYANG. She played a pickpocket in TWO COPS.

COME HERE AND HUG ME:
With the preemptions over the past two weeks, I feel quite shortchanged. On the other hand, the show's rhythm should be back on track. The Reporter From Hell makes Serial Killer Dad and Psycho Bro seem like Boy Scouts in comparison. Someone please send the SKETCH artist over to predict the baddies' next moves, and thwart them with extreme prejudice. Pretty please? The Good Guys need all the help they can get. Yay that Namoo is reunited with Mom and Sis. Ick that hyung has tracked them down. *shudder*

GREASY MELO / WOK OF LOVE:
What a strange tale. Color me peeved at Gum Granny and Sae-woo's mother, who have both treated Chil-sung like dirt. Maybe Namoo's mom would be willing to adopt him. I loved the reason he gave Poong for retrieving his cutlery from Giant Hotel. Please bring back Buster.

HANDSOME GUY AND JUNG-EUM / THE UNDATEABLES:
Namgoong Min is my reason for tuning in. I didn't foresee the arrival of the surfer – who may end up being a match made in heaven for one of the Undateables. Doc Joon-soo is too cute for words. Alas, SLS is rearing its ugly head, dang it.

LAWLESS ATTORNEY:
I can't believe that there's only 2 weeks left after this weekend. The gloves are off, and the rupture between the baddies is most gratifying. I'm feeling very unsettled regarding Jae-yi's mother and her employment situation. Talk about being in the lion's den.

LIFE ON MARS:
Not originally on my radar, I read the first two recaps by Helcat and Sunny, and decided to take the plunge. Episode 1 really got my attention. I'm having flashbacks to the film TIME AFTER TIME. That's a compliment. I'm tickled to see Ko Ah-sung as Officer Yoon. She was terrific in HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE. I'm looking forward to Oh Dae-hwan's 1980s cop. His turn as the leader of the princess's thugs in THE KING'S DAUGHTER, SOO BAEK HYANG put him on my radar.

- Continued -

Part 2 of 2

MISS HAMMURABI:
Now that the title character has become less strident, I'm enjoying it more. We got some insight into the associate judges' personal histories, which I appreciated seeing. I like the thought-provoking aspects of this drama. Ryu Deok-hwan as Judge Gadfly is the icing on the cake.

SHALL WE LIVE TOGETHER / MARRY ME NOW?:
I'm enjoying this weekend family drama populated with characters I (mostly) like. Love the OST, which I posted on my fan wall weeks ago. At times it gets makjang, but I don't care because I get my minimum requirement of Lee Sang-woo, Choi Dae-chul, and Kim Mi-kyung. Someone please send Kyung-soo's manipulative mom (Park Jun-keum) to the moon.

SKETCH:
I watched both of this weekend's episodes, and the story is getting more intense. It really makes me wonder about the mechanism of the premonitions. I've been feeling leery about Chief Jang of Internal Affairs since he first appeared, and my suspicions may actually have a basis in fact.

SUITS:
I didn't watch the original American version, but enjoyed the Kdrama treatment. The finale worked for me, although I was dissatisfied that Yeon-woo had to make a deal to protect Kang-seok. While I hope he got his GED while he was in the slammer and qualified for advanced placement in college, I would like to imagine his going into another line of work.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH SECRETARY KIM:
As another Beanie remarked, this show has cured my allergy to Park Seo-joon that dates back to SHE WAS PRETTY. I can shut my brain off and enjoy the frothy shenanigans, at least until shoes start dropping like flies.

Older Dramas

HE WHO CAN'T MARRY:
The tone is so different from WHAT'S WRONG WITH SECRETARY KIM, it makes my head spin. With 3 episodes remaining and the OTP's romance “progressing” at the pace of a fossilized snail, I'm not holding my breath. Yoo Ah-in plays the boss's adorkable architectural assistant. Nice background music. I've posted a few links on my fan wall.

WHITE CHRISTMAS:
I'm only a couple of episodes in. Must not have been getting enough psychological stress from currently-airing dramas. ;-)

-30-

Impressive list as always. Looks like you have jumped off the Cliff of Non-Doom and are swimming just fine among all the shows.

I won't tempt you to pick up You Human Too? I'm only watching it to pass the time. Otherwise I will go crazy with no dramas waiting for July and MR. SUNSHINE.

I just added LIFE ON MARS. We'll see if I can follow the plot. ;-)

MR. SUNSHINE is on my to-watch list, too.

It feels weird to not be watching a sageuk. I've got CONSPIRACY IN THE COURT cued up. ;-)

Did you find a way to sleep while watching dramas? Is it a way of meditation or do you tak some strangely labeled potion? Please share your recipe with us, these are too many shows for us ordinary mortals to tackle.

I said to heck with circadian rhythms and embraced the non-dark side: sleep deprivation.

Amazingly enough, I don't even drink coffee on a regular basis these days, whereas in the past I used to be an utter coffee snob and "caffiend." The only potion I've been sipping is Irish breakfast tea with milk, usually a cup or two a day.

Nope, I don't sleep while watching dramas. In fact, the reverse is true: Kdrama-like scenes sometimes play out in my mind after I hit the hay. I won't call them dreams, because I don't think I'm truly asleep. My "home movies" come with pseudo-Korean dialogue. Alas, the "videos" don't have subtitles. ;-)

Ok, sounds like you upped your game to an art (or psychological disorder). I should not be jealous of it, right?
I can't do without coffee.☕

@allphryne 👑 비서
June 17, 2018 at 10:05 PM

I'm probably risking my brain turning to mush owing to sleep deprivation... Don't do this at home, kids. ;-)

Ok, I won't, mama.

Love you take on all the drama's you are watching. I had to drop Undateables only because we kept forgetting to watch it and too much time passed. Also dropped Sketch, that show just wasn't jiving for me, but I can understand the love for it.

Hi @pakalanapikake. The upcoming drama I was most interested in is LIFE ON MARS. I was pleasantly surprised when it appeared with timely subs. Thank you OCN or whoever is responsible for the subs. (I had anticipated a possible repeat of what happened to CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD). I am also grateful to @helcat and @sunny for the recaps! An added bonus.
I have watched and enjoyed the first 2 episodes but I have not been able yet to join the conversation on the recaps. I did make a quick scan of the episode 1 recap and saw your comment. My reaction was wow, Mrs. P is really getting into the crime genre (my favorite genre) and when I read above and saw that you were watching WHITE CHRISTMAS (2011) you got an OH..MY..WORD out of me. You have come over to the other side.
I have been a fan of Jung Kyung-ho (and Yoon Hyun-min) ever since their work in HEARTLESS CITY. I loved JKH's understated performance in PRISON PLAYBOOK.
I can go on but I will stop with something odd maybe.
Yesterday I caught up with the last 2 episodes of WOK OF LOVE. As I was watching it struck me that both Jang Hyuk and Jung Kyung-ho both have this special acting gift of non verbal expression of the eyes. I call it, The Look. They don't have to say anything but their look says it all. Maybe I am the only one that sees it but yesterday I realized both those guys have it. Whatever that is.

Hi, @marcusnyc20 Bong-soo,

I just finished watching eps. 2-4 of LIFE ON MARS after being enticed by the first two recaps. I hadn't intended to watch it, but decided to watch ep. 1 to see if it lived up to the recaps. It does. I've truly been surprised by how appealing it is.

Originally I was somewhat put off by the vintage police brutality and sexism. Somehow the show and its characters are growing on me. I especially like Officer Yoon.

I used to watch boatloads of American cop and spy shows, in particular forensics procedurals. (And science fiction, too.) The original NCIS was a fave, but I must have finally quit watching about a year and a half ago when Kdramas took over my life. Certain US shows got to be too dark, and the depiction of crimes too heinous. I loved MONK, which had a great sense of humor as well as a great cast of characters (and actors). Oh, right -- and I watched a number of British cop shows -- GEORGE GENTLY, MIDSOMER MURDERS, and FOYLE'S WAR being 3 faves. I preferred the Swedish production of WALLANDER over the British adaptation.

Re: The Look

I call it "eye acting" -- and mentioned it in several comments this weekend on Ryu Deok-hwan (and Cha Seung-won), currently appearing in MISS HAMMURABI. I start pontificating here:

Jang Hyuk is another of my faves who speaks volumes with his eyes. Ditto for Lee Joon-gi. Yoon Tae-young turned in an amazing non-verbal performance as deaf mute family man Kuchon in THE KING'S DAUGHTER, SOO BAEK HYANG. In addition to great eye acting, his body language, martial arts moves, and swordsmanship are first-rate. I'm convinced he's a student of Alexander Technique after seeing the scene in which he gives Prince Jinmu pointers on his archery stance. His emotional expressiveness is noteworthy. In the same sageuk, Kim Young-jae (b. 1975) gave a great performance as the paranoid King Sunimun of Gaya, who has a significant change of heart thanks to the undercover diplomacy of the title character, a spy in the Baekje secret service. Seo Hyun-jin herself is a wonderfully expressive actor whose eyes are eloquent.

Greasy Melo - I marathoned this, and now at ep16. Long way to go to catch up but it's getting there. Torn between the 2 heroes. Both are charming and obviously fell in love with Sae Woo.

2d1n - Jung Pd special. I just..enjoyed each moment. When they cursed him out for planning the fish catching trip, I had to rewind those multiple times. It's so funny😂

Browsing through various Netflix dramas, and still trying to find one that I want to watch. Stumbled upon It's Okay It's Love, its a Noh Hee Kyung drama, I watched the first episode then somehow didn't continue but now, after the awesome production of LIVE, I felt compelled to finish this. Jo In Sung close up and his beautiful face was just the icing on the cake.😁

I put GREASY MELO on hold this week, to make room for the new dramas (which are very addictive that I watch 4 eps in one sitting, namely...)
I still love Chil Sung better than the grumpy chef.

WHATS WRONG WITH SECRETARY KIM
Beautiful in all aspect. Both Parks are so....entertaining to watch. The drama is romantic, funny and educational (next time you see a man who claim to have 10 suits with same color and design, you should try sticking some rice on its tail and see if it's is still there the next day.)

ARE YOU HUMAN TOO
not as addictive, but definitely interesting. The lead female is so annoying. I hope she gets her act together soon. Btw the house and the music reminds me of Cinderella Four Knight. But I hope this show does better job than CFK in story dept, since Seo Kang Joon is killing the double role....or should I say Triple? Since the android is doing a good job acting as the Human Shin.

Thought I´ll weigh in, though as usual, I´m late to the party:)
Greasy Melo - Jang Hyuk steals the thunder for me and at the same time I totally get it why his dream-woman will never be his. Cue, Jang Hyuk hurts, I hurt. But I love the trio and their interactions which, especially in the earlier episodes could escalate from normal to crazy within a heartbeat, but still seemed inherently logical considering the characters themselves. The "let´s have a one-night stand" from few ep back is still one of my favorites. Oh the layers, lol!
WWWSK - this one´s really lovely, funny and flies past fast, tho more often than not I find myself wondering why these two are not together already! So many charged moments! And they´re both playing dumb about it! Something needs to happen very, very soon to keep me invested.
Are You Human Too? - This show is too unrealistic for me at times and I´m not even talking about the AI part. Loop-holes are oh so wide in this one, but mostly its the under-explained motives (the female lead!) that crate my nerves the most. The over-the-top action scenes are, well, sometimes unintentionally funny, but none the less a blast to watch.
The Undateables - Casually watching this as I like both actors and for some reason, never liked Hwang Jung-eum in anything as much I like her in this. The character is nothing special and she´s done similar stuff before, but perhaps because it´s not much of stretch for her, she comes across so natural in this and the chemistry with NGM has a mature, lovely vibe to it. There´s not much going on and the Duke pisses me off at times (seriously, a bet?!), but then he goes and makes the most awkward advances ever coming from a love guru that I sort of...let go.
Rich Man - Starting to use FF-button too much while watching this, so I probably need to drop it. Loved the original for totally different reasons, kept watching this one for the fluff, but it has been dragging on for quite some time now. It´s like a marshmallow without a soul.
About Time - Tried out first four ep, but it didn´t stick with me for some reason. Perhaps I´ve started to like Lee Sang-yoon in All The Butlers so much that everything else he does seems...boring?

Considering trying out Life on Mars next.

@miilo
Oh yes, Life on Mars.... go for it!!! Begins a bit darkish but becomes high entertainment for me at Ep 4. Never laughed so much in one episode of a show that is not meant to be a comedy. Weightiness and levity are pretty well done in this one. Somehow the 'time-travel' seems so understandable and yet incomprehensible. 😆

@growingbeautifully

Had a lazy Sunday afternoon, so I binged the first 3 ep and it´s great! I´m actually a little sad that I didn´t hold on for longer, because now I´d like to have ALL the ep...right about now, hehe. Must say I love Go Ah-sung to bits in this, how she portrays Deputy Yoon is simply awesome! This mixture of a wallflower/proper lady/quiet resilience/"disaster mode" is just so deftly done. Her voice is so soft that you almost need to strain your ears to hear it among all that barking that goes on in the office, and I find it so frustrating, because I´d like her to stand up for herself, but because I find it so frustrating, I appreciate Go Ah-sung even more, if that makes any sense, lol!
And so true, the time-travel/not so time-travel is confusing, but I have a feeling like I get it...Hmm, yeah. Every time someone gives Tae-joo some advice how to survive in a small town and it´s served like finally someone who knows what´s going on has arrived and will help Tae-joo return, I get my hopes up like Tae-joo (because this guy really needs a break), tho it´s still funny when it turns out to be a red herring. So, even tho it´s very important for Tae-joo to know what´s real and what´s not, I don´t mind being kept in the dark, sort of, hehe.

Can´t wait until the evening when I have time to watch ep 4!

I just watched Ep 4. Another episode with cringe-worthy and hilarious scenes. 😂

I was so looking forward to Sat 'cause two of my current k-dramas air then, only to find out neither of them aired because of football. Boo.

I'm currently watching Secret Mother (all kinds of awesome!), Goodbye to Goodbye (only because of our two leading ladies, everyone else can gtfo) and What's Wrong with Secretary Kim (Kang Ki-young's character is my favourite :D).

On ‘Investigation Partners’ if Park Eun Sook doesn’t stop screaming I’m going to scream! His acting is awful. Enough screaming! The father of the psychotic suicide also needs to chill.

Well, today is still Sunday, so it is valid to comment... I finished Switch, which I had started when aired, but dropped in the middle because of the other shows.
My opinion: fun and full of surprises sometimes. I wish they could have shortened the big case and focus in many others. That gallery villain had too many lives, and it was impossible to believe he wouldn't leave enough traces to catch him earlier in the show. Plus too many crimes.
But the switches were interesting and sometimes really cool. The humor was also good, the drama less. The angst were on a good level. Sometimes you forget it is a show... But coming to the end, because I knew they would have to survive, then I was not afraid anymore. It would have been different if I would have live watched it.
In general, it is an o.k. show. It fell sometimes out of its own logic, but they managed to recover me as an audience.
I was proud of the goodies and upset at the baddies.
But it didn't let me down like other shows I was anticipating even more (watching at you, pretty noona😒)
I would give this show a C+ for the cool happy end 😀

What's with all the prempting on Monday nights...? One hour of Wok of Love and Investigation Couple, this week both nights are out.

South Korea plays against Sweden on Monday (FIFA World Cup).
The whole country will be watching football, not dramas.

Kdrama trope-fest here, prompted by @egads's innocent question. Keep reading for new additions:

Shout out to @mary's Kdrama Bingo card generator:

I've obviously been watching too many Kdramas. ;-)

Allow me to add that some crazy beanies have actually been using the card generator+list to write some original stories for the Errand Boys Trope Fest:

@wishfultoki http://www.dramabeans.com/members/wishfultoki/activity/521081/

@hotcocoagirl http://www.dramabeans.com/members/hotcocoagirl/activity/521214

@greenfields http://www.dramabeans.com/members/greenfields/activity/521259/

@cloggie http://www.dramabeans.com/members/cloggie/activity/521433/

Stay tuned for more stories on the fanwall over the next few days!

Original call for stories here: http://www.dramabeans.com/members/wishfultoki/activity/521008/

One little question that reaffirmed the brilliance of @mary, as well as the Beanies as a whole. You Beanies are a creative bunch,

Simply can't watch anything after finishing My Ajusshi some weeks ago. Tried to start Border last week, and even though I really liked Oguri Shun in Ouroboros, I don't think I want to watch something so dark. I know the synopsis is really direct on the theme, so I wonder why I choose to try it on first place. I'm way too indecisive about shows, I literally spend weeks trying to choose something and when I watch the first episode my interest sort of vanishes.

When I first started to watch dramas almost 4 years and a half ago, I only watched completed shows, but now I think it has become easier to me to watch on-going shows. It's funny and interesting to see people's opinions about a show that it's still being broadcast, I loved to see comments about My Ajusshi on different places. This being said, I will likely watch Life when it premieres in a month or so. When I thought about this show earlier today, I forgot its name, so I called it "Secret Forest spinoff", ha

I wish I could find the perfect show, a good story without romance that isn't a procedural / police drama

Have you tried Crisis? That´s sort of...more upbeat than Border. At least the fight scenes were really cool, heh.
And I remembered an older show with Yamapi that I liked quite a lot, The Ending Planner. No romance, he plays the middle son who´s been away from home for years and suddenly discovers himself running the funeral parlor that the family owns after a family crisis. I found the show quiet, introspective and hardly ever sentimental, which is hard to do when you´re talking about death all the time. Have you seen it? Perhaps it´s your next "perfect show";)

I'll search them, thanks for the recommendations! :)

Did you go to the my ajusshi discussion in soompi??? It is already in the archive, but it is a cool read... just to remember parts and parts of the show that were good, I.e. almost everything! 😂😂😂😂😂
AnywayI, I am just kind of suggesting...🙄

I read while the show was airing, but thanks for reminding me of it. I really liked some of the comments in there.

Hello! I’ve enjoyed reading the chat here. I think my observations echo many of those mentioned already, but here they are nonetheless.

1. Wok of Love/Greasy Melo
Show, how I love thee. Finally finally finally it feels as though the characters are all actually living in the same story world as each other - that they’re aware of each other, observing each other, and dependent on each other in different ways. My affection for Poong/Sae-Woo/Chil-sung drew me this far into the show, but now I’m interested in the whole ensemble and the Hungry Wok itself. I still feel the pacing is a bit haphazard, and the subplots with Sae-Woo’s father and Chil-Sung’s adversary need to get some attention, but I have a little more faith each week that the writer will do the set-up justice.

I would like to take a moment to appreciate how adorable Sae-woo is. I am so gosh-darned fond of her squeeful self. Also, I think I might be one of the few Poong (well tbh Junho) fans here, but I do so love his baffled consternation as he tries to navigate his feelings.

So frustrated we have to wait until June 25th for the next episodes.

2. Sketch
I was on the verge of dumping this show last week (because of fridged girlfriends/wives and a sense of procedural fatigue), but after episodes 7 and 8 I am sticking around for the long haul. Plot-wise, nothing truly astounding happened, except (1) the characters became a little softer, a little more connected to each other; and (2) I was convinced that the procedural elements will serve to reveal a somewhat more interesting larger story that will further change the characters’ understanding of themselves and their work. I also enjoy the fight scenes. Those boys fight real good.

I think, in truth, what has really hooked me is the budding bickering camaraderie between Dong-soo, Si-hyun, and Young-Sim. It’s clear that Si-hyun and Young-sim are already good pals, and I am enjoying how Young-sim is putting Dong-soo through his paces while he humours her in his sarky but endearing way. It’s also been interesting to see some small exploration of the psychological toll the sketches have taken on Si-hyun. I hope to see more of that.

There are still problems. Dong-soo spends far too much time doing exposition and seems to be the only deductive thinker among them (he even mansplains Si-hyun’s powers to her at one point). Si-Joon is mostly unnecessary but just likes to hang out in the Batcave. Do-jin is a 2D automaton. And I do wish the show knew that it doesn’t have to give every significant male character a tragic!dead!girl/woman in his past by way of motivation. Please stop using dead ladies as angst fodder, show.

But there are cute bickering maybe buddies! And that apparently is where my bar is.

3. What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim?

**part deux because I do ramble on a bit**

3. What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim?
The Parks are great and this show was written in the stars. Two beautiful, highly capable, but emotionally illiterate dorks stumbling toward one another. As other beanies mentioned, it is such a relief to see a female lead character who is excellent at her work. I just want to squish their adorable faces.

I am ambivalent about the traumatic personal histories that are beginning to loom large. The shifts in tone are a little too stark sometime, to the point that the more serious dramatic moments seem pantomime-like and absurd to me. However, it’s a very minor quibble indeed.

4. Miss Hammurabi
The balance of personal lives: court case was particularly good this week, and the way the characters dealt with the aftermath of the confession was so gentle and awkward and completely understandable. The insight into Ba-Reun’s father, and family life, and how it explains his general antagonism towards idealism was a welcome counterbalance to the time we have spent dwelling on O Reum’s background and motivations. I’m also appreciating the time being given to developing Bo-wang and Do-yeon’s story - however it may play out. I hadn’t anticipated caring much about Bo-wang, so I’m surprised that I’m actually rooting a little - just a very little - for a wee romance between the two of them.

I also checked in in Lawless Lawyer and Are You Human Too? I am limping toward the end with the former, and just about onboard with the latter. Nam Shin III is sweet, and I hope the show won’t wimp out on a human/android romance.

That’s it from me. Oh, I also watched a bit of ‘W - the Two Worlds’. And gah. That was frustrating.

Your name is Irish, does it mean serious woman?

Hey! Aha, well, "rírá" is situation of chaos or discord, a bit of kerfuffling.

1. Come and Hug Me, falling in love with Nam Da Reum and Jang Ki Yong. Both gave me heart-wrenching acting, especially Jang Ki Yong... his eyes speaks everything! I really hope they got their happy ending, this drama is getting a free pass on my tear gland and I'm helpless T_T
2. Lawless Lawyer, ep 12 was epic! I didn't see that coming, Bong Sang Pil finally figured out whose sending the black notebook. I had to admit that me not so keen on watching this after ep 8, the romance is a little bit on the rush and I'm taking this very slowly. Well, looking forward what's going to happen in next episode!
3. Suits, I love it! The show ending was perfectly wrapped and they can start talking about season 2!
4. What's Wrong with Secretary Kim, I'm laughing so hard watching this! I'm guessing that both traumas is somehow linked to each other and they were so cute together!
5. Are You Human Too, when AI becoming too humane and I just want to give him lots of hugs and love

LOL thats a great idea! i'm so doing it now! lol thanks

Re: lawless lawyer, I can't bring myself to keep watching it, 'cause every time Lee Joon Gi appears, his appearance breaks me out of immersion due to how frickin' unhealthy skinny he looks. I know he had to lose weight 2 yrs ago for scarlet heart but jeez, I keep wondering if he's developed an eating disorder since then :(

Currently Airing

Prime-Time Shows This Week
Monday-Tuesday (March 23-24) Wednesday-Thursday (March 25-26) Weekend (March 27-29)