Open Thread #561

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

I continue to enjoy the Chinese slice of life drama "My Story For You". So far my favorite couple has been the sister and the policeman. Overall, a nice easy watch.

I will miss "Wok of Love" which wrapped up this week. While the main romance wrapped up nicely, I think the one episode cut hurt in wrapping up some of the other storylines. Didn't feel like we got closure on Chil Seong possible romance with the vet (she ended up being a completely wasted character) or the 2 exes (so we are left to assume the ex-wife was just an overall horrible selfish person and the ex-husband was a gutless wonder). While the show had flaws, the 3 main leads were great.

I continue to really enjoy "Are You Human Too". So far, lots of good unexpected twists. Never thought that I would be wishing for the the robot and heroine get a happy ending but he's a better human than most.

I need to catch up on a couple of other dramas that I'm following, including "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim, Sweet Dreams (a Chinese drama) and The Undateables (a just so so drama).

I agree with what you said for Wok of Love. Some storylines got dropped halfway through which kind of bothered me (I wanted Chil Seong to get his happily ever after for example). Still loved the show. <3

Actually, I think that Chil Seong DID get his happy ever after in that he got to be with his mom. I loved the scene with the two of them sitting chewing gum together and both wearing sunglasses.
What could be sweeter than that?

I, too, regard Chil-sung's reunion and reconciliation with his mother as the happily ever after for which he yearned. He also made the posthumous acquaintance of his boxer dad.

Plus Chil-sung is now running the Giant Hotel, and will be chowing down on Poong's down-home cookin' for the next 5 years.

I also liked Chil-sung's gift of the "wall paper" from Hungry Wok to Maeng-dal... although it was not clear to me that he would use it to buy a house. Sheesh!

So it started maybe a couple years back? I found out K-dramas were rather addictive. It started with watching one at a time. Then two at a time on a dual monitor display (I'm deaf so sound is irrelevant). Nowadays I have to run three shows simultaneously on a triple monitor setup just to be entertained. Am I actually addicted or is the quality of the content simply diminishing?

Three shows at the same time?!? Damn, that's ... impressive.

Are they all different genres just to not confuse them?

Wok of love ending wasnt that solid but the scene where poong, geok jong, cutting ahjumma and saewoo gather together in geok jong's room paid it all. That scene was hilarious, sweet and warm.

My story for you is quite good if we ignore atrocious editing. Its quite a slow burn but still far more realistic and better than 2018 kdramas.

I usually check out twitter and reddit to get trends and memes and came across some India-subcontinent political drama. It was quite enjoyable as got most of information through a news article. Trump doesn't entertain much these days.

I am recently getting into the Chinese dramas especially the Period dramas like princess agents and the king’s woman. Do you have any other recommendations?

Some Chinese dramas that I've enjoyed (historical/fantasy):
* Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms/Eternal Love (I didn't become addicted to this drama until the hero appeared, which happened around episode 10 or so, I wasn't sure if I would like this drama at first due to the fantasy element but it ended up being an outstanding drama)
* General And I
* Sound of the Desert / Da Mo Yao
* Battle of Changsha
* Rookie Agent Rouge

Current day (as you can see I'm a Gu Man fan as 3 of these drama are based on her novels):
* My Sunshine / Silent Separation
* Love O2O / Just One Smile is Very Alluring
* Shan Shan Comes To Eat / Boss and Me
* A Love So Beautiful

Thank you! I will definitely take a look at these.

I've also just started watching the 2018 Chinese remake of Meteor Garden. So far, I'm liking it better than the original Taiwanese version ("Meteor Garden"), the Korean version ("Boys Over Flowers"), the Japanese version ("Hana Yori Dango"), and the other Chinese version ("Moon River"). Hopefully, I'll still feel this way by the drama's end as I've only watch the first 6 of 48 episodes. The heroine isn't as bullied in this version.

I'm falling behind on dramas because I can't stop watching the shit show that's going on here in the US. I find myself glued to the news even though it makes my blood boil.

Actually, I found kdramas about the time said show starting airing in the US, and have found it a great distraction! I haven't watched the news in 2 years.

I'd rather read it and skip to what I need to know. Thank goodness for Kdrama distraction. It's so needed.

A suggestion: turn off the tv news, talk shows, etc. and stop clicking on videos posted on social media ( maybe even go on a twitter fast and unfollow people and groups on Facebook that post a lot of political stuff). Then get a newsreader appp or find a site that will work as a news feed aggregator. Subscribe to feeds from reputable sources across the political spectrum. Organize into folders if you need to generally avoid some of these sites. Check the headlines a few times a day. Reading helps engage the brain and generally keeps one calmer. Also, articles tend to be much more thoughtful and in-depth. Check original sources and fact checkers, if you question some claim that you have read. I am much better informed and less anxious after making these changes myself.

Excellent advice!

You are absolutely right! I watch news from sources other than the main networks.
Snope.com and Politico are some good sites to check what is true.

I agree that it's important to read news from a variety of sites across the political spectrum and to fact check.

I can't deal with the shitstorm going on with Agent Orange and his gang in the US so all I do is watch Kdramas. I look at the headlines and get so agitated that then I reach for something sweet to take my mind off reality.
But I totally get what you are saying.

Kdramas are my escape, or I would do news and politics all the time. I'm so grateful for the recent resurrection of Dramabeans, recent good shows and all you wonderful Beanies, it keeps my hair from being on fire 24/7 😤

Good evening to all my friends in here..I just want to write something that has been on my chest for a long time I am a DB fan for long times but since my English is not something that I can't proud so I just read and not write in the comment box I remember my activity always start with open and close this web all the time starts from wake up and before sleep just to see what's going on with my on going recaps or news, I really love this community it feels like a big family. But I don't know why, since this year I don't visit DB often, some time for weeks,
it's just doesn't feel the same like before. I don't realize it until someone in here talking about this situation and its remind me of what I feel about DB lately.
Anyway... have a nice weekend to you all

It may be because DB slowed down for a bit? No news, few recaps - we did all wonder what happened. Looks like things are back to normal though, now. So all is good. :)

It's gotten better than what it was like a couple of months ago, however I still miss the 'direct' communication through the podcasts/vodcasts that we used to get from JB and GF.

Dramabeans Fighting!! 😁

True. More like, it's slowly limping back to normal. :)
Dramabeans, fighting!

Hi Everyone! ...... I hope you are all doing well today!

This week:

Greasy Melo - I continue to enjoy spending time with all the main characters. I'm a couple of episodes behind and I already know some of the stuff that's going to come up with the parents but what can I say ..... watching this crew makes me happy.

Are You Human Too? - Uh oh, human Nam Shin is awake and he looks like trouble waiting to happen! ..... And who would've thought that greedy grandpa may perhaps be the one to save our beloved robot!

What's Wrong With Secretary Kim? - Sizzle, sizzle, smile and sizzle!

Handsome Guy and Jung-eum (The Undateables) - Remember when I mentioned the terribly silly male lead's cousin last week? Well, I still don't like him this week either. With only a couple of episodes left to watch, it's pretty safe to say things will stay this way.

Mr. Sunshine - You know, it's interesting ..... this show has intriguing characters whose backstories we want to know, it's set in a time in Korea's history where change and conflict are everywhere, it has sweeping shots and palpable tension. It has all the ingredients to be gripping, but as of yet, I wouldn't describe it as such. Perhaps it's still too early, I don't know.

That's all for now. ...... Take care everyone and have a great Friday!

Handsome Guy: I like Choi Tae-joon. I remember he said he was worried he might slip into a pathetic second lead. I think he is somewhat safe on that.

Choi Tae-joon is doing fine as the second lead. There's only so much he can do with the material he was given. It's just unfortunate that he and the leads didn't have more interesting roles. At least his character isn't an immature, silly guy.

I've let my k-drama life be dominated by Mr. Sunshine to the exclusion of all else (at least of the k-dramas that Netflix currently offer). Right now it looks like it will stay that way for the next 10 weeks, but anything could happen.

Mr. Sunshine is the one drama I'm currently watching too.

I may have to drop all my others for this one as well.

Mr. Sunshine might be grand (and second leads are love), but the show I can't wait to watch on weekend is Life on Mars.

Same! I’m so deeply invested in the story and characters, and it doesn’t hurt that Jung Kyung Ho is one of my favorite actors. I know I’ll be in major withdrawal when this drama ends in a few weeks.

OT Week 75! Had a busy week again, but managed to watch several dramas, and have several good conversations with friends. This weekend is another Freethekimchi meeting where we will be starting Buamdog Revenge Club! And the kids are having birthday parties with their friends as well! It wouldn’t be a normal weekend if I didn’t have a million things scheduled.

On the drama front, I was able to watch another 3-4 episodes of Prison Playbook (Wise Prison Living) and I think I only have a couple more episodes! This show is so understated and underrated. And because of this show, I became interested and was able to catch most of to.Jenny with the Traumabeans on Rabb.it last evening. It’s adorable and short and everyone should see it. I’ll have to go back and watch all of it though. That kid can sing.

Mr. Sunshine continues to wow me. Goodness, the production value here: amazing. The acting: amazing. The costumes: gorgeous. But I would be disappointed if this drama was anything less than exceptional.

Fuyao episodes 36-37. Now, we’re finally getting somewhere. I’m again watching this peripherally, but shoot, Ethan Ruan is still fine and even finer now that he is acting like he’s desperately in love. That fact will never escape me.

Let’s Eat 3 is going to be so much more emotional this season than the prior ones. With tragedy and stressful life situations surrounding our leads, I’m so looking forward to seeing how they navigate these mountains and become a couple. And the food! I’m making that kimchi dumpling soup very soon.

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim? My answer: Absofreakin’ nothing! I’ve yet to see episode 14, but episode 13 was very well done, and not gratuitous in the least, and exactly what it needed to be in order to show two people on different pages of a relationship, getting to the same page by the end. And the side characters and their budding love lines---precious.

Five dramas in a week, that’s probably a record for me.

Conversation time, kinda serious, kinda not:

When Young-joon is on his business trip in Sec Kim and misses her and just wants to hear her voice, but can’t get a hold of her.

Hubby: I used to be like that.

Me: I know. I finally get it now.

Hubby: Too bad that ship has sailed.

Me: Aw, no it hasn’t. You still are upset when I don’t call you when you’re away.

Hubby: No, really, you’re annoying when you call now, so I’d rather you didn’t sometimes.

Me: *mental note: don’t be annoying when I call*

Moral of the story: K-dramas can shed light on your own relationship.

2nd Moral: I don’t know how I’m going to fit Life into this schedule. Help!

3rd Moral: Have a wonderful week, lovely people!

Your 2nd Moral (how to fit more dramas into your schedule) is story of my life (but somehow I always managed it) :)
Let's eat 3: I read that people were so upset with Seo plot but production team was busy defending it.

For the life of me, I don’t know why everyone has to die in vehicle crashes in Kdramas. I have half a dozen romantic and realistic ways to die young, and none of them invoke a TOD. But no one asked me.

It's a damn shame nobody an die of consumption anymore.

If you mean tuberculosis, it's certainly lost its romantic allure. It drives me crazy when people spit in public ...

But they can still die of H1N1 flu and Neisseria meningiditis. There’s lots of sexy micro-organisms just waiting to kill us every day. Not to mention brain aneurysms, cancers of the bone and blood, and others, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, myocarditis, eclampsia, just dying from freak accidents, boats capsizing, falling off water rides, roller coasters, I can go on and on!

@ally-le "sexy micro-organisms" LOL

I once sent stuffed viruses and bacteria to my daughter at college, and apparently her roommate ran through the halls waving them and yelling "I have Ebola Aids." I'm not sure how sexy that was, but they did make some new friends.

@ally-le
I desperately want to see one of the endless kdrama amusement park dates end in a freak roller coaster ride accident now. If the male lead is wearing mouse ears at the time, it'll be even better.

@egads, I bet I have those same viruses and bacteria (the stuffed ones)! I know I have listeria somewhere in my house. 🤣

Is it bad that I got excited for ToD to actually make contact with victims? I felt that ToD must have been happy to finally have a fulfilling job. I am pretty sure that I laughed when I saw him at work again!

Did you watch About Time? If not, skip to episode 15, where TOD makes a great cameo taking down the two leads in one hit. It's brilliantly funny.

@egads
That almost inspires me to watch About Time.
Almost.

@leetennant Oh don't watch the whole drama. I still don't know what was wrong with me that I sat through those 16 hours of meh. But for a few gloriously tropey, campy moments, TOD lit up the screen and almost made my wish that they both die come true.

@egads
I watched the first episode. That was enough. It was so boring.

@leetennant It got even more boring as it progressed. The actors looked bored.

@egads, oh yes, I watched About Time. And I think every single time ToD has made an appearance in dramas this year I cackle and cheer for him having yet another a job. 😳😂

Now you've stoked my curiosity. At NCBI.com, the Journal of Korean Medical Science reported on Trends in the Leading Causes of Death in Korea, 1983-2012. Malignant neoplasms is no. 1 and transport deaths is no. 9—overall. Didn't specify if transport deaths were caused by white trucks but I suspect yes.

It's interesting how you never seeKorean men** smoking in dramas while almost 50% of males over 15yrs old smoke in the Republic of Korea. Based on available data, USA's male smoking rate is 19.9% and Indonesia has the highest of at 76.2%. (Source: a href="http://gamapserver.who.int/gho/interactive_charts/tobacco/use/atlas.html">World Health Organization: Prevalence of tobacco smoking.)

As a U.S. doc, you already know heart disease ranks no. 1 for USA with "accidents" at number 4. (Source: CDC) Immabout to go down a rabbit hole, looking for gun deaths data, auto fatalities and the like. It's Friday night! I better look for a squishy drama.

**In Wok of Love | Ep. 35, the beautiful vet gently chastised Chil-Seong for buying cigarettes, joking that cats don't like smokers.

I’ve seen people die too young from myriad of causes, and every time it’s so tragic. Motor vehicle accidents are pretty common, but it’s worse when they have a disease that was found too late because they were “too young” to have it, so no one looked for it and by the time someone did, it was too late. That’s the most heart breaking.

I once marathoned through Final Destination (so 1 through 5, I think) and man, there are many ways to die in this world.

Made me afraid to step outside for a week after that.

Because I've had so much free time today, I'm on a quest to find fellow loan shark beanies. I know pakalanapikake & obsessedmuch. I'm aware sicarius & Sera have long crossed this level.

Anyone else?

Or are you telling me I'm the fifth-most-active-non-staff-Beanie-of-all-time-since-the-new-site? 😅

I'm sorry I can't be of much help. It's a bit high up here to see the life down below.

HHahha I see you're in the rooftop room somewhere in outer space. Very well.

I'm quite content on my rooftop as well. The view is amazing!

I have chosen to retain my rooftop room. It's just that I now work as a loan shark

Congratulations on leveling up! ^^

Thanks. ^^

Oh, did you just level up? I'm sorry I didn't extend my congrats!

If your friend here is in need, would you extend loan without interest? I think my rooftop needs some refurbishment.

'course. I have a heart of gold you know. I accept payment in Yoongi or Namjoon gifs. ^^

Ooooh...you know my Achilles Heel!

Who's Yoongi or Namjoon? *off to google*

Outofthisworld
You just unleashed the inner fangirl of Gf I suspect.
(Yoongi & namjoon are members of K-pop boyband BTS. Their stage names are Suga & RM)
*looks innocently & leaves*

Hahhaha what @fatcat007 said. ^^

There's only three of you right now. :)

And only two non-minion beanies with a higher rank.

Haha thanks for the confirmation Mary! I should have said non-minion, not non-staff because that's what I meant.

Don't worry! It's the same thing heehee I just like how minion sounds.

Well golly gosh darn, knock me over with a feather. Hearing from IT Goddess @mary that a third Beanie has ascended casts a whole new light on my golden-hearted loan sharking. I didn't fully comprehend just how rarefied the company is that I've been keeping.

@obsessedmuch, @greenfields, it just occurred to me that we might wish to consider adopting a snappy moniker for our trio.

"Holy Trinity" is already taken, and would court a divine thunderbolt, so forget about that one. "Three Stooges" is too undignified. Unless we've all gone Annie Oakley, "Three Musketeers" is out. "Triple Goddess" might work, especially as at least one of us is old enough to rate as a crone. -- "Three Bears" -- no. "Three Little Fishies" -- not quite. Hmmm.

Yup - it's a bit shocking right? ^^ @sicarius has already named the five of us the 'Power Beanies' - which I really like. ^^ I suppose we could just be the 'Three Sharks'?

Guard your Power Beanie position well dearest Greenie, it is easy to loose it if you're inactive :P
Like it used to be Yeulie and YY and Azzo and Muchie and Kaybee and Kayedrama and some others, and now it's us five ( and the up and coming Roofies)

Hahhah the "Three sharks" reminds me of this Baby Shark song that is going around in kpop/kvariety :P

@sicarius Seeing as how Muchie is a common name in both groupings, I should really re-think my life decisions and get off the internet :P

@sicarius makes a good point. @obsessedmuch- you're already proposing to go against her sound advice?

Haha I am not quite sure yet.. cuz just yesterday only I was motivating myself to be on DB more in one of your posts...
*Muchie is a confused big girl*

Well, duh, why didn't I think of that?! @greenfields, you're a certified Geeeeenius! This is why they pay you the big bucks rupees.

Thank you, @obsessedmuch, I was wracking my brain for "Baby Shark." I finally heard the song for the first time early in the run of ABOUT TIME. With a ready-made theme song like that, what could possibly go wrong what's not to love?

Um, about @sicarius's 'Power Beanies' sobriquet, all I can say is "Wow!" to be included in such esteemed company. I'd like to thank my 8th grade English teacher, and... Oh, right. Wrong venue.

Taking a cue from the world of Kpop, the Loan (Lone?) Sharks With A Heart Of Gold aka Three Sharks could be considered a "subunit" of the 'Power Beanies.' Just don't try to make me sing in Mandarin. It will get ugly. -- As more Beanies achieve the milestone, the number in the name can be incremented upward. Holy Infinite Expandability, Batman!

Three Caballeros? ;)

@sicaruis,

LMAO! Only if Buster and his identical triplet siblings are willing to sign on. ;-)

Hhaahaha... I quite like the "Three Sharks" cuz it's pretty straight-forward but because I am re-reading Harry Potter right now, how abt "The Golden Trio" 😂😂

@obsessedmuch, @sicarius, @greenfields

Or Three Golden Sharks?

@pakalanapikake - done!
@seralovestteobokki should be informed of her status as a Power Beanie.

LMAO "Three Golden Sharks" as a sub-unit under "Power Beanies" it is then!

Now we just need someone to gift us a song, and someone else to prepare the choreo and we're a Regular Beanie K-pop group!

@greenfields, @mindy, @obsessedmuch, @pakalanapikake, @sicarius, @seralovestteobokki

Ahoy, all hands (fins)! With today's addition of Mindy to the Golden Sharks subunit of the Power Beanies, it's now Three Four Golden Sharks. Maybe we should just drop the numeral. That way we could easily retrofit the lyrics of "Baby Shark" as "Golden Shark." It has the correct number of syllables. ;-)

Instead of dancing, we should do synchronized swimming a la Esther Williams. Let's knock 'em dead in Peoria. What say, chingus?

@pakalanapikake - count me in. I don't kNow about the rest but I certainly enjoy watching synchronised swimming. ^^ I suppose as entertainers and sharks, it fits the Power Beanies perfectly.

Haha yes let's do away with the numbers and I found a baby shark swag version with full animations that could work in our synchronized swimming! 😄 (Made by an InnerCircle and featuring all 4 WINNER members)

That rendition of "Baby Shark" by Mino "WINNER" cracked me up. Thank you!

When I described the song to Mr. PakalanaPikake, it reminded him of Barney. LOL! We don't have offspring, so have been existing in a culturally-deprived state. Thanks to my Beanie buddies, I got a second chance to get hip. ;-)

Ahoy, All Power Beanies...

@rukia brought it to my attention via my fan wall that I've become an Entertainer-In-Training. I seem to have morphed from Golden (-Hearted Loan) Shark to Clownfish in the past day or so. Or maybe I'm a Moorish Idol-In-Training.

When is our next synchronized swim practice? ;-)

I'm movin' on up...

Good grief you sure do move up fast!!!
I swear it's your word count. That's the only thing you have more of than Sera or I lmao.
Welcome to the club!

Thanks for your good wishes, @sicarius. ;-)

Well, I did write pseudo-recaps for GRAND PRINCE (and still have one more to finish editing).

There may be another factor in addition to my tendency to write essays. I'm liberal with my use of the thumbs-up button. I use it to encourage participation by my fellow Beanies in sharing their ideas, even when I don't necessarily agree with them. If they offer well-thought-out arguments or insightful comments, and do so in a friendly, collaborative manner, I give them a pat on the head. I especially want to encourage non-native speakers and writers of English as a means of cultivating the lovely international community here at DB. I cherish this oasis on the interwebs. And I've made some wonderful friends here, all because of Kdrama. ;-)

@pakalanapikake
Awww hahaha I would say I upvote lots too but that'd be a lie... kekekek

Sometimes, and I've wondered this multiple times over the past year and a half, sometimes I wonder if actually the secret is just getting a staff to notice you and they just up vote whenever they feel like it... although that's not consistent with all data AND you, my friend have been an outlier in the level up graph for a looong while ;)

@sicarius August 5, 2018 at 12:56 AM

My secret is logorrhea. I attribute it to having kissed the Blarney Stone. No lie. ;-)

I post a lot of music links, quite of few of which are random and have nothing to do with Kdramas.

Other than that, it's a mystery.

Wow! Don't forget us golden hearts now that you are with your co-entertainers-in-training :D

Perish the thought, @obsessedmuch! If I understood correctly, we're all Power Beanies... Last one in the pool for synchronized swimming to "Baby Shark" is a rotten egg! ;-)

Pfffffft
Well cuz @kudoran doesn't know abt our synchronized swimming as sharks and entertainers, let's tell her first. She is after all the newest addition to the group! :P

actually I knew it =P , anyway thx for the noti ;)

I told her via ObsessedMuch's fan wall. ;-)

Congratulations! ^^; Wohoo!

I'm only reminded about the beanie levels when someone speaks of them...I just checked and seems I'm now a "Wrongly accused fugitive" so I may need to lay low for a while!

🤣🤣 I didn't start paying attention until around that level either. Also, I didn't realise just how active I am on DB until today. This really is my internet home

Congrats on the level up!

Congrats!

Oh man,I just checked mine: the Goblin's Underpants! HAHAHAHA that's awesomely hilarious!

I was that the last time I checked! I think it's been my fave level name (from the ones I've noticed anyways!)

@rukia has been rather worried about the smell...

I hope you have a good disguise natzillagorilla.

I'm rocking a mustache and thick framed glasses as I type!

@natzillagorilla,

You might want to add a gat to your get-up. They have a magickal capacity to make their wearers look like generic yangban from central casting, thus facilitating hiding in plain sight (for as long as you live in a sageuk). ;-)

XD XD XD
You're absolutely right, the gat cannot be left out of my fugitive ensemble. *Now* I can truly avoid the law!

Haven't visit Dramabeans for a while and can't get catch everything Beanies talking about because I'm not watching any Korean drama since Miracle We Met up until this morning I started to watch LE3.
Yet for several weeks I can't get my eyes off my screen because some beanies told me about Nirvana in Fire and I get addicted OMG some of you need to stop telling me about bunch of amazing dramas because I'm such a weakling.

NIF took over my life for two weeks recently. :/ Gone. I have no idea how I got through them.

I haven't finished it yet and for few days recently I just realized that I do have my own life to attend to.

This is why I ration my Chinese dramas. ;)

I feel you, I feel you.
I was in your position a couple of weeks ago as well...it's all @kimbapnoona and @jenmole 's fault!!

Also, WANG KAI FOREVER! <3 <3 <3

Wang Kai forever. *raises flag*

Greeny, he made me change my lockscreen for the first time in 4+ years!!

This is a big deal indeed. I see you are massively in love. ^^ What is it now? (a link to the pic?)

@greenfields dang it! It was supposed to show on that last message...I'll just post the link!

Gorgeous! 💝

*Mwahahahaha my way into the drama battle field*
This means I have fulfilled my duty as a Traumabeanie. But with emotional wound this GErgeous and KAIzzling, I am a willing victim basked in this Nirvana bliss. Are you in with me, @natzillagorilla and @greenfields?

Wang Kai forever indeed. *raises flag*

@kimbapnoona -
My two weeks...Give them back! >_<

@kimbapnoona I might be waaaay too in, noona!
It doesn't help that I started watching the Disguiser and everyone looks possibly even better!

OMG doesn't the cast look gorgeous in those awesome coats and qipao? Absolutely love the costume and styling of The Disguiser!

@kimbapnoona It's gotten to a point where it's just stupidly ridiculous how freaking hot everyone looks...like, they were made for these clothes and not the other way around.
I also find myself weirdly attracted by Jin Dong, whom I actually don't consider handsome. I think it's the glasses!
(I'm not even going to talk about Wang Kai because I know I'll just waste the next couple of hours googling pics of him if I do)

@natzillagorilla I didn't know that Jing Dong was such a well established and popular actor when I watched NIF so it didn't register that it was an extended cameo for him. In The Disguiser I can fully experience what a great actor he is!

Have you seen The First Half of My Life? I read some glowing review about that drama recently and consider to give it a try sometimes!

@kimbapnoona I didn't know either! I thought he was the main character at the beginning, and was sad he only showed up for such few episodes. I was surprised to see his filmography...
Someone did mention the First Half of my Life and it was all awesome comments...I should follow the Disguiser with that one! Let me know if you pick it up!

There is also another beanie who told me about NIF but I kinda forgot her name. Yeah it's all their fault. Whoever it is.

Hehe, could it be General @wishfultoki, of NIF militant group?

I think it was me. So not sorry.

I'm a General? Yay! Totally at Jingyan's service of course.
I think I did promote NIF to @cloggie but she was very easy to convince (I just said try the first 4 episodes).

See @wishfultoki you convinced me and I convinced more people. It's just one big NiF pyramid scheme where we all make a couple more people watch it, until all the Beanies are addicted!

Wow @cloggie, you have shone the light. Is this why we have the Beanie levels and the people at the top can exert power of persuasion or even mind control? If so, @greenfields, great power comes great responsibility. I am at your service for you dictate what I watch next, preferably a show that will make me lose sleep and social life for the next couple weeks.

Also belated congratulations on your promotion to the top! *sends you oxygen tank cuz the air is getting thin up there!*

Hi Everyone and Happy OT and Weekend!

Is anyone still feeling drama-slumpish? What I mean by that is:
Category 1: Although I'm watching dramas, I can end up missing episodes without a twinge of regret. (I used to watch every episode closely and religiously).

Category 2: Although a show is very good, and I can see how good it is and enjoy it, I still don't find it compelling. (I used to countdown the hours to each great show).

Secretary Kim falls into Category 1 and Life on Mars into Category 2. I'm kind of happy that I can live RL more 'effectively' as a result of the slumpishness, but I feel kind of sad that no show really excites me or evokes the high level feels like before. I guess there's nothing for it but to wait for a show that fits or for a mood that fits a show. 😏

What was your last crack?

I'm very at home with Life On Mars. No, I mean I can't live anywhere else!

Other dramas, not much. I liked Miss Hammurabi but it just ended. Ha Suk Jin can be therapeutic and I just caught on Mr Sunshine. That's not a lot, is it?

@outofthisworld
Wow... the cracktastic show for me that blew-me-away-and-I've-never-been-the-same-since level crack was ... Just Between Lovers. That was months ago!!!! 😭

I'm also watching Ha Suk Jin in House Helper (my latest ratings... which I do change from week to week 8/10), Let Me Introduce Her (weekend show rated 5/10), The Undateables (6.5/10), To.Jenny (7.5/10) on top of Secretary Kim (rating for me fell to 6/10 for lack of plot) and Life on Mars (9 or 10/10)

Oh, JBL! That was a hot fav amongst beanies and probably still is.

I've not watched Your House Helper this week. Not a good sign but I'll try harder for the man in the apron.

House Helper - I like it for the Age of Youth vibes with an older group of girls, for the cleaning advice which ties in with life advice, the cleaning porn as some other Beanie termed it, and for the 3-4 girls backstories / mysteries / camaraderie and how they will probably end up with boyfriends. It's likely a show that will rise in my ratings.

I'm pleased to see that I didn't misread a hint dropped previously - there's an actual, explicitly out gay supporting character on this show (Your House Helper). Hopefully his part of the storyline will be handled well since South Korea is not really up to speed on gay people compared to Japan and Taiwan and the West in general.

Sorry about the semi-slump! Summers are easy for me to get into dramas. My brain is mush and anything pretty can distract me. OOOHHH look, a butterfly, blooming flowers, birds in birdbaths! I'm much more picky during the school year, because I just don't have as much time, and that's when I go back and watch things that have been raved about which are on my perpetual "list." That's how I watched Forest of Secrets, way after it aired, but it was worth it. I hope you find a way out of your slump though!

Thanks @Ally
I'm glad to know a system of what to watch, when, works for you.

Forest of Secrets is a great show and worthy of your time, even when you're short of it. 😆

I'm in 2 minds about the slump. I like that I get to do more RL things (which really needs my time and attention now, and I am more busy too), but I'm peeved that my enjoyment of drama watching is no longer as great. So to get out of the slump or to just live with it, is the question!!! 😅 😄

I agree.. Summers are easy for me too... When kids go back to school, I am going to be watching one or two kdramas and Chinese dramas or binge watch dramas that is done...

Yep. I had to google to see wiki's list of 2018 kdramas to remind myself what I watched this year, and so far, I finished a few. The only thing I like and would consider rewatch from these dramas is just Two Cops for Jo Jung Suk's performance, though to be honest this drama won't make it into my top 10 favorite drama of all time, it's good but not amazing.

Something In The Rain was crack-y at first but I didn't even finish it.

Now I'm just waiting for Kim Ji Won and Seo In Guk's new dramas to air.

I did rewatch Signal, man I love it when I sort of forget the plot of my favorite drama, I stayed up late for few nights to marathon this.
So, Signal is my latest crack drama in 2018.

Oh yes, Signal was fantastic. It caught my imagination from the beginning and I was forever looking at every bit of minutiae hoping to find more clues to the time-warp phone signal. 😃

@boomboompow
So you're feeling the slump too? Does that account for your watching fewer shows?

I too actually forget the shows I watched. I have to use MyDramaList or make a note somewhere.

I'm the same. I can't remember the last time I tried to watch a show raw because I had to know what happened or was counting down the days till the next episode.

Just Between Lovers and My Ajusshi were my last true loves.

Yes, same here!! However even as I was loving My Ajusshi, I knew that I was slightly short of crazy-in-love as I would have been, if not for the slump. But still, it was a wonderful show.

My Ahjussi was wonderful, but I never needed to watch it raw or stayed awake wondering what was going to happen.

When was the last time I watched a really good Chinese movie?

Last week, I watched "Operation Red Sea". It's over the top in many ways but still quite entertaining if you aren't squirmish about body parts. Equally if not more extravagant is "Asura", now known as the epic expensive flop. I've only watched the trailer and already it's obvious why it tanked.

Many of the memorable Chinese movies were like from a decade ago - City of Life and Death, To Live, The Message. Any more recent ones to recommend?

Watch John Woo's "Red Cliff". It's my current favorite Chinese movie.