Open Thread #563

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

OT week 77! It’s a wedding weekend here! It’s been five years since our last big family wedding (and when I say big, I mean humongous) and I always forget what a production it is. This is my first male cousin’s wedding, the son of my favorite aunt when I was growing up—she was like my second, younger and cooler, mom (who has a great romance the could have been a kdrama when she fell in love with a former gang member, a father who dissented of her choice, and a 3 year estrangement of that relationship, but that guy was and is amazing, and their son is the sweetest). Our family does everything for weddings (decorations, flowers, set up, tear down, and usually the food too), so it’s been a whirlwind. But I did get to use some of my travel time for dramas!

First off, Prison Playbook! I’m only 1.5 episodes from the end! I really like how our posse has each other’s back. Captain Yoo helping out Loony when he was being forced to take drugs in prison just before he was going to get out, but then Loony not even making it to his congratulatory dinner for getting out of prison before shooting up again and landing back when he tried so hard to stay clean. But I can’t say it surprised me. I hurt for Loony’s significant other though, he seemed so sweet and in real life, I would have told that guy to just drop the drug addict and find happiness with someone else. But my kdrama brain says, “He’ll change, stick it out, give him one more chance!” Yes, I’m the very definition of hypocrite. But that brings me to an interesting point: how much kdrama crap would I tolerate in real life? None of it, that’s how much. But give me all the fluffy!!!

Speaking of fluff, Thirty but Seventeen continues to charm the heck out of me. Or maybe it’s just the nephew, Chan. But I also like uncle Woo-jin and how work-focussed he is right now. He’s really good at what he does because he has no relationships to focus on. Like a lot of people in real life, he’s stand-offish and prickly, but that’s what will be interesting as the show progresses. All the teenagers in the house with their stoic housekeeper/cook make for a really fun watch, I really like this one. And I believe the heroine is really stuck in her own 17-year-old mind. She’s the preoccupied type, the fumbling, bumbling, absent-minded musician (who I’ve met many times) who might be a musical genius, but her life is a mess. I’m really looking forward to where this one goes.

Mr. Sunshine is still gorgeously shot, wonderfully acted, and showing us layers to its characters. Well, except for one, but I’m still patient that she will be showed off this week. Please, drama-gods, hear my prayer.

Oh, and Fuyao, I’m barely paying attention to this one. Apparently, I missed that General Fierce came back to life after I saw him die tragically—and hubby is gone on business so I can’t get by Cliff’s notes in a timely manner.

And last but not least (but really it is, because I still haven’t caught up...

...to this week’s episodes) is Let’s Eat 3. I really like this show too, and can’t get myself to drop it, even though it’s a chore to find time to watch it. This week’s first episode really hit me hard as I’m with extended family and I just visited my grandmother who has dementia as well. I didn’t expect to cry, but I did. It’s actually the only show I cried with this week.

And a kdrama conversation grounded in real life. I’m staying with my uncle and his family this weekend. He has two daughters in their 20’s. One is in a serious relationship.

Uncle’s wife (to me): Oh, your cousin’s boyfriend will be here this weekend. I need you to talk to him to make sure he’s okay. And tell me if there’s anything to worry about.

Me: Are you sure you want me to talk to him? I let my sister marry a guy that mom thinks is a lazy, good-for-nothing, slob.

Uncle’s wife: You’re just like your second aunt! She’s like, “Let her live her life, love who she loves, and all.” I just don’t want your cousin to work hard supporting him all her life.

Me: And she’s right! If cousin wants to work and support her husband, so be it! My sister supports her family, I support mine, it’s what the women in our family do! But I’ll talk to him, I like him.

Uncle’s wife: *Turns around unsatisfied.*

Me to daughter: Tell me if I’m ever like that, ok?

Daughter: I think you already are. You tell me to find someone that can take care of me all the time.

Me: Well, your dad does a good job taking care of us, doesn’t he? Just find someone like him.

Moral of the story: The more you try not to be like your family, the more you are.

2nd Moral: I do love weddings and I do love my family. My husband just looks at us like aliens most of the time and hates weddings (which is why he’s conveniently on a business trip 😃).

3rd Moral: Almost forgot again. Remember that writing contest that my daughter got first in the state? Well, she just found out that she got honorable mention in the whole of the nation this week. All for a 380 word piece inspired by her beloved stuffed animal. Crazy. Have a great weekend everyone!

Me to daughter: Tell me if I’m ever like that, ok?
flashback to that genius kid

Oh, congrats to your daughter, whole of the nation, woahhh! She loves her stuffed animal, isn't she, what a sweet precious child.🌸

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time at the wedding. Also, congratulations to your daughter on her honorable mention!

You have a smart hubby. :P

That’s why I married him 😜.

@ally-le Your daughter is as awesome as you're. *_*
Enjoy the wedding with your family.

I have a question, is Let's Eat 3 a standalone drama? Because I couldn't get into Let's Eat 1, and I didn't watch Let's Eat 2 (my other question, if you watched this one is it good? and also is it a standalone?).

I guess I am curious, and might check it out sometime later.

Yes, it is certainly stand alone and you might even like it better not knowing or caring about the others.

And I think I might like this last installment the best because I’ve grown to love Dae-young as a person throughout and Doo-joon has done a great job maturing this character. He’s THE PERFECT guy this last installment, but I appreciate him more because I know how he used to be. But you don’t need to know him before to love his character now. My heart has twinges of pain every time I see his left hand ring but I really like this heroine. And I love that they’ve known each other since college.

Woot, I'm not @ally-le, but just chiming in. I think yeah it's a standalone, but there's also characters from S2 as a cameo/ part of memory, you might get confused a bit, but nothing too complex.

I take the chance to answer you @sweetsour

You can watch each season separetly. A character from season 2 visit the male lead but not knowing him doesn't affect the plot of season 3. There's also mention of the lead's past love interest but then again, you can watch with no problem.

Actually, it might be my favorite season but I don't want to be disappointed by the end.

There was a very brief 'bus of death' flashback scene to explain where the girlfriend from Lets Eat 2 disappeared to. Its so irrelevant to the current season that it can't even be called a spoiler.

Thank you, @ally-le!
I hope that you enjoy the wedding and this special time with your family... 💕
Congratulations to your daughter! What great news! 💗

@ally-le it always feel nice reading your writings.
On your 3rd Moral, congrats to your daughter. Actually, it reminds me that there are so many lovely ideas, inspirations around us that kids/students should talk about, and expand their creativity... My sister is in junior high now, our education system is putting too much pressure for her. I hope she will become like your daughter, creating pieces of art... expressing her thoughts and creativities... Nice weekend to you too!

This was very seeet if you to say. I hope your sister finds her passion more that anything. Both my kids read voraciously so they have lots to draw upon for their writing. They both love to write. It’s one of those things that they just do. I hope your sister finds something creative she loves to do.

Thank you!!! My sister loves music and dance... She does not into book though *sigh*.
Expecting to read your next OT soon! :D

Is it weird that what stood out the most to me in your essay was that you called your uncle's wife 'Uncle's wife' instead of 'Aunt'???

On the wedding front, I'm of two minds... I love big weddings because it is so much fun to observe a certain kind of chaos taking place especially if I'm part of said chaos... but I also want an 'out' button where I participate in the wedding only for an hour or two and then just take off and get away from all the noise and crazy energy. Fortunately, I've only attended one family wedding in the last fifteen years and, unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the 'out' button during that wedding.

She’s my aunt by marriage and only a few years older than me, so it’s always been strange refering to her as my aunt. I have three “aunts” all by marriage that are really young. I’m the oldest grandchild. My son is only 2 years younger than my youngest cousin.

I assumed as much with the difficulty getting English subtitles - Life is apparently arriving on Netflix tomorrow. (In the UK - we seem to be getting it weekly. Although, if it's like Forest of Secrets/Stranger, other markets might not get it until it arrives in full at the end of the run)

Hopefully in the US we’re seeing an exception made for Asian Dramas regarding Netflix’s standard all-season releases, since Netflix is releasing weekly new episodes of Mr Sunshine and Meteor Garden. I hope they will do so for Life and future shows.

You should know tomorrow - 1st epi will arrive then, in the UK :)

Life will dropped in the US on September 12 with all 16 episodes.

I'm in the Americas. It'll be coming out for us tomorrow as well. Thx for the heads up!

Announcement from Netflix Media Center dated 02 Aug. 2018:
PS. I will be checking my go to *alternate site* to see if the English subbed versions become available. As of today there are 4 episode available "RAW".
In he past PRISON PLAYBOOK episodes became available with English subs a week after airing in South Korea. ALL of PP's episodes were eventually made available at once on Netflix after it completed it's run in SK.

Update. 8-4-2018. All four episodes of LIFE are available now with English subs here:

Friday! Friday! Friday!
So I started Are You Human Too last night, pretty much 100% because the fan-base here lured me in. I've been watching the highlights for weeks now, so I figured I should watch it properly. Well played, you guys. *applause*. More thoughts on that tomorrow, I guess.

Does anyone have a master list of what shows can be watched on Dramafever in England, because I've been getting all excited going through their collection only to be told again and again and again that I can't watch things in my country. Someone spare me the heartache! TT_TT

Glad to know you've started Are You Human Too? I hope you enjoy it as much as many of us here have! :)

Unfortunately, I can be of no help regarding your viewing issue with Dramafever. I'm hopeful one of our fellow Beanies can share some useful information regarding this matter for you!

I hope so. I much prefer Viki, because they hide the shows you can't watch in your region.

There are not many shows on DF in the UK, to be honest. That's where VPN is your friend... Pretend to be in the States and it all magically works. Going through their collection only not to be able to see something is too depressing.

Otherwise, if you go to Browse, you see all that's available in your region, as far as I've been able to tell. And yes, that is only 3 pages of shows in total :-(

Hey, @cloggie, are you back from the cave now? You've been missed!

I'll try that, thank you very kamsa.

Yeah, I'm back from the cave. Made good inroads into my projects and am rewarding myself with hanging out here!

Thanks for the Last Cinderella recommendation by the way. Watched that and loved it!

Aw, yay! Good for you. I'm so glad it's summer, I have enough time to go through my heaps of summer work and get to catch up with some shows.
I'm so glad you liked Last Cinderella! It's like, one of the best examples I can think of regarding a hero's character development, and the chemistry is explosive.

(PS. Now watch Dear Sister. ♥)

Watch highly entertaining and intense ENG vs. India Test Match.

Hi Everyone! ...... I hope you are all doing well today!

Totally disliking the heat wave my area is going through!! When will it cool down???

This week:

Greasy Melo - Finally finished watching this. I'm going to miss the fantastic trio of Poong, Sae-woo and Chil-sung!

Are You Human Too? - The robot! The original! His right-hand man! One more week to go! Oh no!

Handsome Guy and Jung-eum (The Undateables) - I have one more episode to watch, but I might skip it and it'll be fine if I do. I only half-watched the next to last episode anyway.

Mr. Sunshine - Continues to unfold in very interesting ways. Eugene constantly reminds me of the main character in "The Godfather" film ..... just when he thinks he can step back, something inevitably pulls him back in.

That's all for now. ...... Take care everyone and have a great Friday!

Happy friday @korfan
I skipped Handsome Guy and Jung Eum last 6 episodes too though I love Nam Goong Min but busy life got in between and it was not such a great drama to stick through the end.

@mimu1234 Happy Friday to you too!

I probably should've stopped at around ep 6 also! Heh!

Hear Hear about the heatwave. It's heating up in France too and I am dyinnnnggg.

Oh no! Try to stay cool and hydrated @luzitania !

We're having a mini break in our heat wave. It comes back on Monday.

@ndlessjoie It's just awful when it doesn't seem to end, isn't it? Stay cool!

So sick of the heat wave at this point. Meltingggggg~

@frabbycrabsis Me too!! May we get some relief soon!

I didn't stick with The Undateables - may go back to it sometime, but it seemed to be drifting. I've ended up really liking Are You Human Too? You may like Your Honor with Yoon Shi Yoon - another drama where an actor plays two roles. Have a great day!

@owl22 Regarding The Undateables, drifting seems to be an appropriate description. It's just unfortunate how things progressed in that show.

Oh! You're watching Are You Human Too? It's quite good, isn't it? Many of us can't wait until next week because we're so curious to see how this ends!

I haven't checked out Your Honor yet. I like Yoon Shi-yoon and I haven't watched his recent dramas lately so it'll be nice to see him again. Thanks for the recommendation! You have a great day also!

Everybody must have heard that a camera staff (in 30s) for "Thirty, seventeen" passed away due to heat and overwork this week?

I read a headline in passing that an accident had occurred regarding this particular drama ..... but I had no idea this was the reason. Sad news.

They've decided that it was unrelated to work or heat.

Happy Friday beanies.
I'm just loving Thirty but seventeen. Everyone is acting so well. i love Chan so much and then Jennifer. Where can i find these two? I want them in my life. Though i'm scared of animals in general but Deok Gu soooooo damn cute.😍😍😍😍
I'm waiting anxiously for Life on Mars finale though i don't want the drama to end.
I liked the episodes of My ID is Gangnam beauty too. i already hate double faced Soo-A.
I have to start Your Honor. How's it?
I was not able to complete the first episode of Risky romance it didn't intrigue me enough.

The actor who plays Chan was in My Father is Strange. I really like him in Thirty but Seventeen.

Risky Romance is trash even from Korean romance dramas POV.

It has been frustrating watch so far, but I think it will get better. Somehow it reminds me of Secrets (in different way from Time). And I like the leads (more solid casts than Time).

CatoCat!! 😘😘😘😘 I've been away for awhile, and when I came back, I couldn't see you! I'm so glad you're still on here! Hope you've been well!

Have you seen any good recent jdoramas lately?

Good to see that someone accepts me. I am one of the regulars here. Though i only comment in Open and What you're watching threads.

Seigi no Se - based on manga. Quite good watch.
Rewatched - Mr. Nietzsche in convenience store and Tonari no Seki-kun

Re: YOUR HONOR. My opinion only. I believe YH survived a rough first four episodes (30 min eps.) and settled down. This weeks four episodes were much better. It still needs some work but it is early days and Yoon Shi-yoon and Lee Yoo-young are starting to click. I am staying with it as is the Korean viewing public so far. Ratings report from my go to kdrama ratings site:

That is my assessment of YOUR HONOR, too, @marcusnyc20 Bong-soo. The set-up has taken a couple of surprising (to me) turns. I'm sticking around to see where it goes from there.

Hi @pakalanapikake. I am pleased at your reaction. YH maybe off life support but it still needs a lot of TLC.
Btw. If this week you had given YH the kibosh I might have despaired for it's survival.
Perhaps in another place we can actually comment on what is happening on YOUR HONOR.

Aloha, @marcusnyc20 Bong-soo!

It took me a while to chill out, but when I thought about it, I recalled that I've seen a number of somewhat underwhelming dramas in the last year or two that starred actors I really like. (TWO COPS, DOUBTFUL VICTORY, and RULER: MASTER OF THE MASK are a few that immediately come to mind. Jo Jung-seok, Kim Sun-ho, and Lee Si-un were terrific in the former. JJS was great in a dual role in which the disembodied consciousness of a comatose swindler periodically took over his (cop's) body; the transformations were stunning. It felt like Yoon Kyun-sang languished in the second show, but was in there pitching. I'm still not sure why I watched RULER, although I thought Yoo Seung-ho and L did a good job. The baddies were so over the top it felt like a spoof -- which was also the case with DOUBTFUL VICTORY.)

DB ratings of past dramas have enabled me to dodge many a turkey. Live-watching without a crystal ball means I'm bound to encounter duds sooner or later.

Frankly, I think I was also a bit frazzled due to a couple of finales and intense developments in other dramas. I was also taking it too seriously. I'm feeling a bit more philosophical now -- or maybe I'm just tuckered out.

I went back and rewatched YOUR HONOR from the beginning. I think they've toned it down, but there remain some serious subplots and themes that could grind the gears in the future if the humor gets out of hand. After week 2, I can state that there's something seriously off with Judge Soo-ho, and it seems that Mom is the cause. Dad is dead. I wonder what happened to him.

Hi @pakalanapikake. Thanks for the followup and YH rewatch.
The plot lines are starting to appear. There have already been several emotional scenes and of course the comic ones.
You make good points about Mom and her sons.
I am still chuckling over the bedroom interaction between Kang Ho and Jo-eun.
She said: '"you look like you lost weight".
My reaction was, wow I never realized how thin (skinny) YSY is.

@marcusnyc20 Bong-soo August 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM

You're welcome. I wanted to give YH another chance -- and refresh my memory. ;-)

Yeah, I laughed at that comment about his having lost weight, too. That's because Mom gives all the meat to hyung, who refuses to eat it.

Dong-gu Daegun looked slender in the tack room in GRAND PRINCE, although his eunuch was even more of a beanpole. IRL he served in the Marines, so I figure he's still got the physique of a lean, mean fightin' machine.

His gyrations in YH struck me as an attempt to conceal the tattoo on his arm, although he looked embarrassed as well as nonplussed.

Any idea for a permanent location to continue the discussion? I haven't checked out this week's What We're Watching yet. Maybe there are a few more kindred spirits who are sticking it out with YH.

@marcusnyc20 and @pakalanapikake Thanks for the reviews. I'll start watching Your Honors today. :)

@mimu1234,

You're most welcome. ;-)

Hi @mimu1234. Mimu. Welcome aboard. I hope we can find a place to hang out and discuss YOUR HONOR. I enjoyed Lee Yoo-young in TUNNEL. It would be nice if two of her TUNNEL pals (I assume) and two of my favorites Choi Jin-hyuk and Yoon Hyun-min would make YH cameos.

@pakalanapikake I liked it. Thank you.
@marcusnyc20 I was only able to watch episode 1 and liked it. Yoon Shi Yoon is beyond brilliant, and I'm looking forward to how both of his characters will develop.
That girl prosecutor trainee's supervising prosecutor and the chief prosecutor need to have their private organs crushed into a pulp!!
Tunnel is one of my favorite dramas i'll be damn happy if at all they make a cameo.😍

Hi again @mimu1234 Mimu. Followup.
This has been proposed as a possible YH discussion site:
In the near future check it out. I am hoping our pal @pakalanapikake will do the honors and gavel the discussion open.

Wanted to check out MIIGB, but after hearing about the PD's rape scandal which led to the victim's suicide I won't watch anymore (http://kdramaconfessions.tumblr.com/post/176773615391/considering-how-the-pd-of-my-id-is-gangnam-beauty). I am sorry for the cast and the rest of the crew, but I can't support trash like him.

Happy weekend, Beanies~💐

I pick up jdrama Kenkou de Bunkatekina Saitei Gendo no Seikatsu. It's a drama about this girl who just got a new job as public assistance at social welfare department. It mainly focuses on poor family/ jobless people. This is a hard watch because of their struggle with their life, a very human drama.

Other dramas that I'm still following; LoM, Your House Helper

Also, I started to watch kshow, Where on Earth. Latest episode is at Scotland, stunning country. 🌷. If you love early 1n2d S3 under Yu Hojin PD direction, you might want to check this out, it's his new show. I like the details about all the places they've been to.

And you might want to check out kshow The Great Escape, particularly ep 3 & 4, the casts all trapped in a building with zombies and they try to unlock the password/codes to get out. The scale for the building is really wow, and creepy too.

r subs out for great escape?

I'm afraid it doesn't have any sub yet. I watched it raw, didn't understand half of it but still fun. :p

Another hot week here in Texas. I'm still consumed (enjoyably so) in all things about Mr. Sunshine.

The only good thing about the terrible summer heat is the excuse to stay inside and watch TV. I'm in Louisiana; only 2 more months of guaranteed suffocating heat before the possibility of a cool down. Fingers crossed!

Greetings all. Happy Friday!
I've been on a C-drama binge lately. Started with Oh My General Gender role switches are one of my drama cracks, and this lived up to that. Yes, a bit campy in parts. But I was sold on Ep 1 with Zhao Yujin's fierce af "dance" in the tea house. Fun story, overall.

Then finally watched Nirvana on Fire Amazing!!! From beginning to end, story kept building and improving. Fantastic scenery (great for screen shots and backgrounds hahaha). I also fell in love with Wang Kai (is now bae), so it led me to When A Snail Falls in Love ,Love Me If You Dare and Ode to Joy 1 & 2

I am now on Legend of Fuyao Interesting so far, I just wished our heroine who is supposed to be a total badass did not need saving by male heroes at every turn. But well, it's otherwise a decent watch.

Any other suggestions? Looking for great plot, well-written characters but not just "jerk chaebol falls in love with weak Candy type of story"

Bromance? "Rich guy falls in love with crossdressing badass."

I mean, it's a Taiwanese drama, but hey, same language?

I freaking love Ode to Joy 1 & 2!

The First Half of My Life got the same tone as OtJ but more mature and serious.

I really did enjoy it. By season 2, I was also TeamBaoYifan. From beginning to end, he was such a huge teddy bear and best of both worlds for Andy - Serious human being with complex family structure but fun loving and goofy man child who was in need of affection. He could switch from roaring bear to a meek puppy (especially around Andy) . I enjoyed watching the story lines of our ladies on the 22nd Floor. I wish there were more series like this, with a more complex and nuanced story. I really enjoyed it

TeamBaoYifan too !

The third and last season should air this year I think :D

There's a S3!!!!! Yay! I was not aware. Can't wait!

guys..check out the new meteor garden.. its fun and probably the best version of all

@alasecond I plan to watch it once I'm done with the half of my Kdramas to-watch list :)

@alasecond, I'm curious about MG 2018 but I've watched and read previous versions of MG, I'm a bit skeptical due to early plot of bullying and harassing (I mean we're talking about attempted suicide here). Is it ok/tone down in this version?

Yesss, we need more drama like this! And yes to TeamBaoYifan.
Although there's that nice guy but only Baoyifan the TeddyBear managed to make Andy opened up.

For season 1 I wanted andy to end up with her friend but Bao Yi Fan came in her life and everything began to shine haha.

@mango, honestly, when I think about it, Andy is lucky to have that good friend, TeddyBear, that other nice guy and good flatmates.

Yeah she couldn't have a better surrounding !

I loved When a Snail Falls in Love, so Ode to Joy goes right on my watch list. I really liked Love 020.....took an episode or two to get into the groove, but completely worth it!

I also liked Oh My General. You might also try Go Princess Go which I thought was in a similar vein (but find the version before it was hacked up by the censors) Go Princess Go was a total hoot. Same lead actor as Oh My General. Ignore the dramas ending (as censorship totally ruined it) and read the translated novel for the hero/heroine happy ending.

Oh Wang Kai ! Well, if I didn't fall for Wallace Huo (Love Me If You Dare), Darren Wang (Our Times) and Roy Xiu (Marry Me or Not) before, he'd be bae for me. His first rom-com is Stay With Me but the plot drags a lot imo.

Medical Examiner Dr. Qin is a good crime drama and has two seasons. I don't know if the second one is subbed tho.

I'm enjoying Legend of Fuyao too. For me, Fuyao's progression as a badass makes sense. She only just learned her martial arts skills and is learning how to integrate those skills with strategic thinking and compassion. The making of a leader takes time. The Ninja Reflection blog compares the drama to the original novel and agrees with your critique; she's more kick-ass in the book.

@kimbapnoona turned me on to Legend of Yun Xi last week and it's got a fun vibe. (A few of the leads are Chinese idols.) It begins in media res—I thought I'd missed an episode!—and have found this to be the best introductions to a female lead I've ever seen. Pink K Lover does excellent recaps. The 48-episode show is complete and translations are up to ep. 30, progressing at 2-4 subs week.

Love Lost in Times is a 2017 wuxia I found deeply satisfying on every level: a love story defying time and space; sumptuous costumes; exciting plot; gorgeous lead who is kick-ass in every way (strategic thinker, martial goddess, saucy, passionate); competing brothers who were both attractive in different ways ... I loved it and frequently return to watch my favorite bits. There are a handful of irritating characters but they don't suck the oxygen out of the room and ... that's why we have FF buttons. ;) Favorite recapper for this show is Ninja Reflection.

Duke and Duchess in YunXi are love! I blame Kimbap for my YunXi addiction too. ^^

I agree, making a hero takes time. I guess I am impatient to see her kick ass and take names. I figured since did the Breaking 9 Heavens technique (or whatever) from the beginning of the series, she would not have lost in(one very specific) battle and ended up being saved by a male hero. Nevertheless, I am excited to see where her journey is taking us...especially with the latest developments of this past week.

I'm trying to watch the Taiwanese series 'The Ex Man' but K-dramas have spoiled me. Watching a one-episode-per-week (if we're lucky) series is downright painful now. The series 'only' has well written characters, by that I mean its not exactly an adventuresome story line.

Is anyone watching the web drama called Guardian with Bai Yu and Zhu Yi Long?
It has a shoestring CGI budget, the voice dubbing is a mess and there at least three other things that could be improved, but if there was ever a crack drama, by god, THIS ONE IS IT.
I watched the first 20 episodes in a week and now I'm waiting for the daily translations of the remaining episodes.
I just know I'm going to feel so bereft when it's over.

I read a recap and have put in on my watch list. I've heard good things about it.

I have heard good things about Guardian. It is next on my list.

I think #mysteriousDBalgorithm might be the little brother of #dramaSlump , those two combined are giving me a headache since a long time. Also #baddramaplot might be their cousin.
However #everlastingK-showfriend is always there to cheer me up, 다행 이다 dahaeng ida ^^

side note : writing a story about this family might entertain me, instead of looking for dramas to stop the drama slump. Beanies, what do you think about it ? any ideas are welcome ^^

side note 2 : gotta try something since there's no recap for K-show hence no chance for me to level up fast *sigh*

Happiest of Fridays all! No one told me once the stress of moving is over you have the stress of unpacking boxes and trying to figure out which boxes hold which important thing. I can't wait until I'm done and can relax with dramas again. I'm still working on Secretary Kim. I can't wait for the happy ending.

Unpacking from a move is a drag.

I still have unpacked boxes from a move 3 years ago. I'm moving again, so at least I don't have to pack those boxes again. 😬

Greetings beanies!

After being gone for two weeks, I totally vegged on Saturday and Sunday and marathoned to catch up with the dramas I’m watching. It felt like I hit a brick wall, though, because now I have to wait in RT for the next episodes! So I’m watching Prison Playbook on Netflix. It’s not as action-packed as I thought it would be, but it does have its own pace. It’s pretty good.

Thirty But Seventeen (I’m pleasantly surprised.)

My ID is Gangnam Beauty – In a society that values looks to the extreme, I’m not sure “beauty is only skin deep” is a maxim that anyone cares about. We’ll see if Mi Rae gets to know (and think for) herself and not hide behind her new face.

Are You Human Too? cuz Seo Kang Jun x 2

Your Honor – cuz Yoon Shi Yoon x 2. He is cute, handsome, endearing, funny, even goofy, charming, debonair, boyfriend material, but I just can’t see him as a bad guy even when he plays one.

Wife I Know – cuz Ji Sung.
Let’s Eat 3 – I actually like Dae Young and Ji Woo together very much.
But is this really a picture of Yoon Doo-Joon?? https://www.dramafever.com/yoon-doo-joon/actor/2212/

Your House Helper – I’m tempted to drop this as it’s lacking in oomph.
I finished Miss Hammurabi and What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim (both thumbs up). Shall I start Life on Mars? I’m thinking of checking it out ~

Not a bad kdrama lineup, right?

It’s smoky in these parts from summer fires, although not as bad as California. Stay cool ~happy weekend! ~owl

Get on the next shuttle to Mars! You won't regret it.

🌷✨🙈🌿doing ritual dance enticing @owl22 to watch LoM🌷✨🙈🌿

Definitely go on that 🚀 space-time trip to 🔮 Mars, it's one heck of a ride to the here and now!!! 😋

Re;But is this really a picture of Yoon Doo-Joon??

Yes, Yes Yes, probably that is a picture from the old era of `Shock' or `Breath' when they were Beast( former Highlight- he is the leader of the group)

I totally forgot about that, you're right!

That eyeliner 😂😂😂

I know, it threw me.

I LOVED Breath/Shock area. No shame, Beast were hot, Highlight are even hotter haha.

I liked most of what I watched including Let me introduce her , Risky romance and Witch's love . MBN's dramas have been weak (casting-wise), but Witch's love have solid casting and I am enjoying it so far.

Hahahaha, omg I immediately laughed out loud at that picture of Doojoon. Geezzz, why did they have to use that pic? His eyeliner game was too strong. 😂

He is so adorable in Let's Eat with his hair off his forehead and, yeah, the eyeliner. For me, he is one of the more successful idol/actor stories.

Yesss, he looks so handsome. ^^ Mature too.

I agree. I'm happy for him. :)

At that time, eyeliner game was too strong for everyone HAHA

Hi owl! Great line up and I’m not a fan or guy-liner at all, not even on Doo-joon. 🤣

Hey Ally!
I'm happy with the variety of kdramas out now - there are a lot of great lead combinations! Doo Joon's got us on a roll, doesn't he!

Hi all. Just dropping by to wish you a happy weekend. 💖

Happy weekend to you too~🌺

Have a great weekend also!

Same to you!

Happy weekend dear Greenfields!

I think this is the second time I'm about to have a drama slump. I'm still watching 3 currently airing shows, but LOM is ending next week and I've no interest in trying out the new ones. I have no interest in watching WWWSK but I'm unable to drop it (only 3 more episodes. I should finish it right?). Same goes for the undateables and miss hammurabi.
I watched the first 2 episodes of 30 but 17 but still it's not drawing me in. What do you guys suggest is good among the newly premiered shows? Which one should I try?
Or I can finally start AYHT, simply because of the fanwall posts.

@superwhopotterlock
My commiserations... I'm the same but I may be getting over the worst of the slump. At least I'm even thinking of watching some old non-Korean movies or TV series. Stuff that had good reviews or cult followings and such.

As of the currently airing - I just mentioned below liking Your House Helper a lot. http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/08/open-thread-563/#comment-3282186

As for 30 But 17, it's great at Episode 4. I liked it all, but if you didn't, you might try up to Ep 4 and see if you can continue or have to drop it. The turning around of characters and start of growth is happening then.

My ID is Gangnam Beauty has Cheese in the Trap vibes but I think I like it better. At least I can root for the possible hero and heroine from the start, which I couldn't in Cheese. It's still pretty serious but hope shines through.

If all these don't appeal, then maybe catch something old but good? 😄

Thank you😊. I'll definitely give 30 but 17 one more try. I really like YSJ and I had to drop his last drama so I really don't want to drop this.

I'm watching house helper and really enjoying it. Maybe it's the slow pace and slice of life feel. Also I really like the girl's friendship and their relation to WJ. I don't know about others, but I'm really liking DY and WJ together.

I'll give Gangnam beauty a go as well. I'm curious how they'll handle the beauty outside vs inside conflict.

I'm watching house helper, life on Mars and let's eat 3. I think quite a few people are watching house helper.its just that not many have posted about it.
I actually wanted to check out goodbye to goodbye but there was no time! I might give it a try now. Thanks for the recommendation.

I am enjoying Meteor Garden way too much.

I thought I have left this kind of dramas behind me long time ago. BOF was one of the first kdramas I watched and I didn't even like it. I watched Meteor Garden 2001 simply because I liked Zai Zai, Jerry Yan was a bore. These days, it's dramas like Forest of Secrets, My Ajusshi and now Life on Mars which satisfy me. For comedy, there are the likes of low brow but highly entertaining ones like Waikiki. Then out of the blue comes this MG 2018 which has earned a glorious 3.1 rating on Douban.

Is there something about this kind of story which makes one watch? It can't be that rich guy candy girl trope which has been done to death. Or does it depend solely on who's playing the part of the male lead? So, am I just watching because of Dylan Wang?

Definitely Dylan Wang.

I just got in the Dylan Wang bandwagon and I’m not even watching MG. So, let me attest that boy is a charming fella in real life too.

Meteor Garden has similarly taken over my life. It's not well-acted, well-written, or well-made in any sense, but it's bizarrely addictive, and I seriously can't seem to get enough. For me, the draw is definitely the chemistry between the leads and the F4 boys. I've heard murmurs that people don't like the dynamic between the F4, but I'm here for all the deadpan pettiness and how ride-or-die they are for each other. I think their years of friendship actually comes through a lot clearer in this version, than BoF. This is also the first time I've liked Lei, and I'm very certain it's because of Darren Chen. He is beautiful, and his green acting ironically adds a lot to the character's aloofness.

Dylan Wang is the clear standout here though. He is giving this Dao Ming Si his all, and his chemistry with Shen Yeu is something else. That playing cards in bed scene remains one of the cutest things I've seen in recent memory.

Anyway, I'm all in for this, however silly things may get.

The acting is fine with me because I found MG 2001 and BOF to be worse. Shan Cai frustrates me but Shen Yue is probably the only Shan Cai I can stand.
Storywise, it's incredibly old fashioned but some things just don't get old especially when you have very charismatic actors.

I am with you about the F4. This is the best F4 friendship and camaraderie I've seen. Initially I couldn't stand Darren Chen. Guy is just too doll like for me. Surprisingly, he turned out to have some depth in his acting. I kinda think it's a pity he has such a pretty face which will limit him as an actor. Zai Zai was beautiful too but in terms of acting, Darren beat him. I don't even need to waste words on Kim Hyun Joong. Darren's Lei is a perfect foil to Dao Ming Si.

I'm sure I am putting very unrealistic high hopes on Dylan Wang right now. I am already imagining how far this youngster would go.

Shan Cai, as a character, can be very frustrating, but Shen Yue has built up a lot of good will in my heart from A Love So Beautiful, so I can see no wrong in her. Dylan is electric and charming, without being cartoon-y, which given most of his antics, I find quite impressive. I can't believe he is only 19! And this was his debut role! He's so magnetic, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders, so you're not alone in hoping for a long and prosperous career for him.

And I agree, idk exactly what it is about this story--perhaps it's the class divide between the leads, or the impossible odds stacked against them, or just the good old opposites attract trope, it's very difficult to look away. I was 19 when I was completely obsessed with BoF, and now after a decade, I can't believe I'm at the same place again with this adaptation, lol.

One of the things I liked about BOF was the secondary romance between Yi Jung (Kim Bum) and Ga Eul (Kim So Eun). Unfortunately, not feeling the same for their counterparts in Meteor Garden (2018). But Dylan Wang as Dao Ming Si is keeping me invested in this drama.

So far, Oguri Shun remains my favorite actor of the various Lei/Hanazawa Rui character.

I feel the same way. I wasn't going to watch at first, but got bored one day and tried the first episode only to be caught in it's trap. I think it's definitely Dylan Wang. He is just so darn adorable.

This story actually includes one of my favorite tropes (obsessed hero falls in love first) which I prefer over the main trope of dramas such as Itazura na Kiss/Playful Kiss where the heroine falls in love first and becomes a total embarrassment. The Thai remake of Itazura na Kiss called Kiss Me was the best of all the adaptions of this manga with a heroine who wasn't embarrassing.

This made me laugh.

I think there are just certain things that do it for you no reasoning or excuses needed.

I'm having a summer fling with kpop and you with Meteor Garden.

I do really want to try this one.

Oh man, I'm in the same boat! I keep watching it, thinking, what the heck is going on with me? I am waaaay too old for this kind of kdrama. And yet...I...can't...stop. It's like candy or chips? There's just no stopping once you start. ;)

hehehe, I feel you, this kind of stories aren't my favorites, BOF I could never finish it, mainly because I didn't like the main characters, but in the middle of boredom and out of curiosity I started MG, and I was stuck because of this kidd, I think that he's addictive, after watching episode 1 I couldn't stop because I wanted to see Si more and more ... and I felt like a desperate fan, and I can't help but feel a little guilty because he's only 19, ohhh so young, but It's so adorable, I'm sure I'll finish watching the drama, bad or not, just for him...:D

I feel like I'm overly hyped watching weekday dramas that are lowkey.

Mon-Tues: 30 but 17, AYHT and Let's Eat 3. Priority: Let's Eat 3.
Wed-Thurs: Familiar Wife, Your House Helper. Priority: Your House Helper.
Weekend: Life on Mars.

Hi Everyone and Happy OT!
I just wanted to say a few things about Your House Helper. It's turning out pretty good. At first it might have just been a re-hash of Age of Youth where the youth had become less youthful, but this show has on top of the warmth and care of the girls and their individual arcs, the clear and understandable backstory of our Ji Woon, possibly more backstory of his manager, great life advice and household tips! So far everyone is extremely likable (although I do wish our female lead was a tad more assertive) and we have a story arc that gives every character something to do. That's just so great.

Of course it wouldn't be kdrama if we have 4 single 💋 ladies and a few single men without a 💌 romance 💏 or 2 or 3 ❤. And that part's coming along nicely too. 💝

There's enough of mystery still to 🔍 unravel and lots of relation-shipping 💑 to look forward to, all done rather organically. Wish we could have even a wee-cap of this show, but at least we have OT!!! 😆

Yep,uh-huh, nodding to everything you say about this drama.😄💐😘✨

A grown up Age of Youth! *wants to watch badly*

I hope you can find the time to do so @mary. It has the ingredients to make for a very enjoyable watch. 😄

HAPPY NEW MONTH BEANIES ❤❤

It's too soon!!! 😂 August should be in a couple of weeks or something!!! 😱 😫 😉

It's Friday, it's hot, and I'm nostalgic for those summers where it seemed it just rained endlessly. Ah, the good old days.

I'm on holiday from Sunday and that's got its good and bad points. Good points: where I'm going is 5C cooler than where I live
Bad points: Potentially sketchy wifi and that means possibly no Rabbit watch of the last two episodes of AYHT. (I will still try to join!! I'm scared to watch it alone!!!)

Hello *echo*
It's been a million years since I've been on here. How's everyone doing? I'm still not watching anything right now. I started Mr. Sunshine but I couldn't get over how much Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri's age difference made me uncomfortable so I had to stop. Plus, it didn't feel like a Kim Eun-sook story for some reason. I didn't laugh once, there is no chemistry between the leads, and even the OST didn't make me excited. The only thing I could say that seemed organic to her dramas is that it is very aesthetically pleasing. Any other good shows airing right now? I'm super excited for Hundred Days Husband in September though.

I'm currently watching Are You Human Too. The finale is next week and I'm really interested in seeing how it will end.

I also just started 30 but 17 which seems really sweet and fun for now. Chan is my favorite character. He's so energetic and caring.

@Ek Ladhki Thi is Kim Eun-sooks no 1 fan
We've been good, thanks!

Welcome back! We’ve missed you!!!

Thank you! I've missed being here too.

Well hello there! Good to see you!

Hello! It's good to "hear" from you too.

The Universe must hate me...

After seeing Choco Pies in the news about the North Korean defector a while ago, and recently in 30/17 (was that reallybad PPL, btw???), yesterday I went to my nearby Asian market to check them out.

They had 3 brands (all made in Korea, as opposed to the made-in-Vietnam ones on Amazon) and all 3 had things that I shouldn't eat (I have lots of issues with food allergies / food asthma, etc). So I left empty-handed except for a lottery ticket that is supposed to give the Universe a chance to prove that it doesn't really hate me all that much.

Oh no, that's too bad. Perhaps Subway is your fated one? *sorry, I'm joking >_<

Fingers crossed for your lottery ticket... 🤞

Ha, I think that makes it a very good ppl instead. Hopefully you get all good luck with the lottery though.

Don't forget us if you win :) That reminds me of something. One time my co-workers had a football pool (marking who will win) and I wasn't interested in not knowing anything about it. They had one spot left later and I was pursuaded. Guess what? I won! (won a little over $100) They never invited me again for their football pool.

To me Choco Pies are like lame s'mores - those might be easier to figure out....

Good Luck with the ticket.

I have eaten 2 boxes of Choco pies since watching Thank You a few months ago.

Aww, bummer about the Choco Pie situation. Good luck with your lottery ticket though!

My another comment is awaiting moderation, maybe due to grammar mistakes *hide shamefully

But anyway. I never thoroughly explored Dramabeans website before and few days ago I just realized that by clicking that "Beanies" (yep the one at the top of the website, and yep I never clicked it before), I can read new posts and comments from fellow Beanies. All this time I only focused on the recaps, Open Thread and What Are You Watching This Week.

And I was like (╯°▽°)╯ ┻━┻

Can you understand my mixed throwing-confetti-flipping-table-smacking-head-to-wall feeling? (⊙ꇴ⊙)
YOU MEAN I MISSED ALL THE FUN POSTS AND FUN DISCUSSIONS OF DEAR FELLOW BEANIES? I'M SO ASHAMED OF MYSELF.

Thus, that explaining my sudden active-ness (not really) in this place. I've found a sudden joy. Due to my not-so-busy life I'm having at the moment, I enjoy exploring and reading new/old posts/comments from Beanies and if somehow you're freaking out because I like your uhhh months/years old comments, please forgive me.(⋟﹏⋞)

after dramas, welcome to another rabbit hole called the fanwall, enjoy your journey :)