Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

girlfriday

Let’s Eat 3: I’m behind on almost all my shows right now, but there’s something so watchable about Let’s Eat that it’s my go-to show when I have a free moment. I love the development of Ji-woo just sticking by Dae-young’s side as a friend, knowing that it’s what he needs right now. And the funny part is, even though I know how the past timeline will work out if Ji-woo is still pining for her first love, I get all invested in the college romance and find myself rooting for them to work out. Dae-young is facing some true life struggles in this season—loss of love, loss of work, depression, and self-doubt—but it makes me appreciate his character development all the more, especially after so many years. He’s the same character that we first met but believably older and more mature, and that makes the growth feel natural and earned.

mary

Witch’s Love: This show makes me cackle so much, I feel like I’m an honorary witch now. The disapproving grannies were funny but nothing tops their new, businesslike dedication in getting that true love’s kiss for Cho-hong. Magical abilities + Disregard for human beings + Desperation to save Cho-hong = outrageous scenarios FUN. I almost feel bad for Ma Sung-tae for being attacked by Cho-hong’s charms on one side and the grannies’ wicked plots on the other, but it’s kinda his fault for hiding his feelings so stubbornly. Boy, would it kill you to admit you like the weird girl begging for a kiss? (Actually, I’m pretty sure it will. One of these days, his heart and body will shut down because of the massive effort he’s putting into denying himself. Teehee.)

Life on Mars: OMG he’s back in the present?! Just like that? What happens to his imaginary gang? Were they based on actual people back in 1988 and can Tae-joo, like, search for them in 2018? But what if they’re dead? Or they’re alive but utterly miserable? Or they weren’t cops at all but nurses and doctors taking care of him during his coma? I almost don’t care about the Nail Polish Killer in the present. I just want Tae-joo to reunite with Kang Dong-chul’s team. In any way possible. *googles how to put someone back in a coma* *discovers it in my bookmarks folder because of Switch*

Life: Look, they’re doctors. They cure people. They save lives. I’m supposed to root for them. It shouldn’t matter that they lie about accidental deaths, or they hate practicing in the countryside, or that they have this stupid university clique that passive-aggressively bullies our precious Dr. Joo. But it does matter. Seung-hyo makes a damn fine point (almost as fine as Jo Seung-woo in suits.) I hate that his words get to me because I know he has a very evil stake in the hospital, but at the same time, you can’t deny his logic, and I hate that. I hate that this show makes you feel disloyal to The Greater Good. I hate that I can’t make my mind up about the doctors and their understandably human faults. I hate Jo Seung-woo and his smirk. I hate him so much, I gotta watch some more and see just how much I hate him.

Produce 48: I have a new favorite team: Lee Seung-gi and Lee Hong-ki. In the same judging panel. Trying to act professional and bursting into gigglefits as they tease each other about being professional. Now that the stakes are higher, I can’t imagine the pressure the girls are under during the “mentoring” scenes. It hurts my stomach to watch them sit there and wait for their turn as other groups perform better (which is scary) or perform badly and be harshly rebuked for it (also scary). It’s not like I’m performing too, but I’m still so thankful for Seung-gi and Hong-ki’s jokes because I know how much it helps to have a bit of humor in the room. Someone who can crack jokes and make the other mentors laugh and remind me that they’re human–even if they do have godlike talents and possibly hold the girls’ futures in their hands.

Laica

Your House Helper: I’m a couple of weeks behind, but how lovely, understated and heartwarming is this show? It feels like a cross between Radiant Office and You Who Forgot Poetry, inhabiting that particular type of slice-of-life drama that gives you the small comedies and tragedies of regular life without either overdramatizing or trivializing them. After seeing Bona in a third drama now, I’m all in on her as an actress, and of course Ha Suk-jin is always great. What really makes this is the ensemble, though—especially Jewelry Designer and her Awkward Lawyer. They’re just too cute!

Thirty But Seventeen: I’m enjoying this show a lot, although it’s not quite at the level I had expected from the writer of High School King of Savvy. I’m starting to get annoyed with how almost every time a character is about to find out an important piece of information, it turns out to be a fake-out. It’s frustrating because with a premise and characters like this, there’s no need to stall plot development like this; there’s so much to explore! I’m here for the adorably developing feelings between our leads, and I’m in paroxysms of joy and sadness over everything that Chan does (❤️) but I want to know what the deal is with the uncle already. And what about Jennifer’s past? (It’s lovely how Jennifer and Seo-ri have taken to each other.) I’m sad the ex-rival is still jealous of Seo-ri even though she lost everything—I so wanted them to be friends. At least reunite Seo-ri with the puppy who wanted to follow her to Berlin, and has been faithfully visiting her in the hospital for thirteen years! She needs an old friend by her side.

Tags: , , , , , ,

My ID is Gangnam Beauty Ep 7 <33333

Why. This drama. I can't get over it. TT___TT

The fireworks scene's got to be my most favourite in this episode. He looks at her with so much adoration. He can't take his eyes off her - how adorable and precious she must have been in his eyes. 😍😍

He said he gained a friend in her....... Don't think he'll like that term to describe what they really are further down the road. =P

And @kimbapnoona hehehhee your prediction was right! Seems like Kyungsuk is moving into Woo Young's LOLOLOLOL. This will be fun to watch. This kid is even bribing his TA with a TV....

I also really liked how ep 7 focused more on the family issues that Kyungsuk and Mirae had and how they're slowly coming in full circle.

Kyungsuk’s mom's tragic beauty story was so poignant. She made a tough decision to leave her kids with her husband, as she needed that personal time for her recovery. Kyungsuk already witnessed her at her lowest and although he didn't understand what was happening back then, I feel like had she stayed in that suffocating household, she would have lost more of herself and her children would be left off more traumatized of her. She needed to leave and learn to fight her own demons inside and find herself again. She can't love anyone, not even her own children, if she kept hating every bit of herself and what her life had turned out.

Anyways, now that their family issue is being resolved, hopefully we can focus more on Kyungsuk and Mirae's story as a couple. I might end up calling them our bus stop couple, not gonna lie. ;))

Please let this cohabitation bring on delightful bromance between KS and Sunbanim (and death to tiresome petty love triangle trope!) The gigantic used TV is one hilarious housewarming/bribe.

This firework scene brings on the same level of swoons as similar scenes in Weightlifting Fairy KBJ and A Poem a Day. But what elevates this scene for me is that unlike the other two shows, KS is expressing his unspoken appreciation for the beautiful person MR is through his soft gaze and smile(!) and we get to see our heroine turning and looking at him with such happiness in her eyes. That is such an intimate moment for these two new "friends"!

I honestly wish sunbaenim will see what Kyungsuk and Mirae are to each other and try to get over his feelings for her while it is not that deep yet. I’d hate the bromance end because one doesn’t know how to give up. Kyungsuk definitely needs another new friend cuz the newly found one is about to be upgraded lol

And yes, you def typed out how I felt in the fireworks scene too! And we can see how Kyungsuk doesn’t shy away from staring at her like she is everything. Mirae returning his stare with a sweet smile is....... I’m done for lol

I want to see the cohabitation as soon as possible. I loved how he said now he got a friend. Finally two lonesome people found a real friend or should I say future partners. (Though Mi-rae currently has friends)
The firework scene immediately made me think of What's wrong with Secretary Kim as Kyung-seok was looking at Mi-rae how Young-joon was looking at Mi-so and the younger version of Kyung-seok is played by the same child actor who played Young-joon in younger days.

I cannot believe I squeed seeing the title of the episode "A Male Friend" because I am such a sucker for the friend-to-lover trope. Although I am sensing that KS using the friend label is going to hilariously confuse MR's desire of wanting more than just a friendship in the future! 😂

Ahh!! Why I didn't see the title? I need to check that again. I'm a sucker for friend-to-lover trope too.🤣
It's either going to confuse Mi-rae or He'll end up regretting the word "friend". 🤣

@kimbapnoona @mimu ohhh I honestly want Kyungsuk to do the first confession. I really want him to eat his words up and say he sees her more than a friend. heh. And not only that - I feel like Mirae deserves a love confession after what she went through. I think it would be cute if Mirae experiences to be confessed to first. And yes, like you both I am a big sucker to friends to lovers. I live for stories like that. <3

@13infamyss +1 I hope it comes true.❤️❤️

@kimbapnoona @mimu1234 @13infamyss
In his defense, he didn't ask her to be his friend. He just said he has a friend in her.
But he also told in public he likes her.
So in his mind, he may be thinking he already confessed!

also, I am a big fan of friends-to-lovers too.

I really liked the song during the fireworks scene. I'm waiting for it to be released.

I love how the TA doesn't seem to understand KyungSuk, looking at him like "who is this weird guy ?" :p

Lol especially when Kyungsuk is being extra. Wasn’t their first conversation ever outside the chem class at the bar? Haha sorry TA, you hang with Mirae and this boi will follow you like a shadow lol. I can’t wait till they start living together!

I am particularly in love with the image of the cool, aloof guy everyone thinks is so awesome in reality being this humongous, socially awkward dork. And he's not putting on a facade the rest of the time, that's just how others choose to see him.

Like the umbrella scene. He wasn't being cool he just didn't have an umbrella, lol.

I love this iteration of tsundere! He is indifferent to how people perceive him and considers himself as an outcast but when our OTP trapped in that room and MR told him that everyone wanted to be his friend in middle school and he asked as matter-of-factly "why, because I am handsome?"....and MR just gave him this amazed llok like, who is this guy? 😂😂😂

@bcampbell1662 @kimbapnoona

hehehehe. seriously, he is just exactly how Mirae described him at the beginning - "some are just born to have daily lives that look like photoshoots". Even when they had their earthquake drill, the camera panned really slowly as if everyone legit revolves around his world, and he doesn't care, nor does he notice.

and LOL, yes I loved Mirae's wtf face when Kyungsuk said it himself that he's handsome. He definitely comes off as conceited guy, but he is just indifferent of his surroundings. And obviously growing up hating on his mom, he hated being associated with anything beauty, handsome, popular type related

I haven’t watched Ep 8 yet. The way he came with a used TV was outright hilarious. It’s so KS! Did he really move out of his house with a TV?? he is weird in his own ways. Handsome yet socially awkward.
These are so adorable awkward I can’t wait for what is to come.

And finally he has extended the friendship card. Which is sweet. I like people being friends first (even if there is attraction) and then getting into love. It feels organic and more stable. After all these are kids in college. I want them to grow up too.

Haven’t watched ep 8 either! I am trying my best to stay away from any ep 8 spoilers cuz I want to spazz, hard, on their movie dates and other cute antics they’re going to do with English subs! My everyday struggle with Korean dramas. Lol I’m basing my bromance/cohabiting comment from the ep 8 preview lmao

I can’t get over his TV housewarming gift. Well at least they can’t say he didn’t come empty handed. Lol but yes where the hell did he get his TV from? I am quite sure he only had his school bag and a luggage with him when he left home hahahah. Kyungsuk is so spontaneous.

@bluefootedbooby @librarianerin lol your guys comment on Kyungsuk beinbg socially awkward hahahah. It made me remember kyungsuk and mirae’s discussion how he was out of the loop of middle school stuff and he was like “maybe I was outcast too?🤔”. And Mirae side eyed commented “you just didn’t care” lmao. Why is he like this! It’s really adorable how he’s trying to get out of his shell and making these first steps in talking to people.

Anyways I know fans might not have liked how he somehow softened on Soo Ah, but I actually think it is fitting his personality to mellow down on verbally attacking Soo Ah after his mistake. He did go over board calling her out that she was the worst in front of everybody. Doesn’t matter how much he loathed her, he shouldn’t have stopped her level. And It didn’t help that she’s trying to win Kyungsuk with her sobbing story. But At the end of the day, he doesn’t know Soo Ah that well but he’s prejudiced against her because of his own personal experience. Anyways we can see how he still couldn’t care less about her, so I’m fine with this tone-down version of Kyungsuk

Me too. Despite how much I find Soo-ah irritating and get so much pleasure out of KS not putting up to her nonsense, I think he making amend to his earlier comment speaks to his growth.

I think thats his personality - he sees bullshit, he calls it out. he makes a mistake he apologizes. I don't think there is much to it. SA is suddenly all excited for no reason. I don't think he will fall for her methods - he seems reasonably perceptive (Except when it comes to MR, he looks confounded by her actions all the time). I think he is right, she is funny because she is so awkward.
What SA doesn't realize is the bond KS and MR have made (via his mother). And MR shared her story (about her father) only to make a point about parents being disappointed or sad. Not for sympathy.
SA is completely delusional - she needs help. Hope she grows up too.

Speaking of confounded KS, I love that last week at the bus stop he scratched the back of head because perhaps he didn't know what to think of MR hopping onto the bus quickly after he offered to take her home, but ep 7 we see that he does the same but it is because he doesn't understand why she would get on to the wrong bus!! 😂😂😂

@kimbapnoona.. true. I think thats why he is so intrigued by her. Her actions are quite bizarre. Both the times she ran into the bus abruptly (when most women would expect a man to take them home or be flattered by it). Her t-shirt changing skills are clearly Guinness worthy - I mean, really, who asks for 20 minutes?. And her logic for that was so freaking awesome. And when she lies (about not taking the wrong bus), its so obvious that she is lying and even she knows she can't keep up the act.
They have a good evening bonding and then next morning she literally turns her back and tries to run away.
Poor guy!!

I just love that absurd 20-minute request and still find her rationale believable for someone who is young and awkward, @mayhemf!
What I find the writing delightful is that KS hears all that and makes it into a 20-second directive, but furthermore when the 20-second is up he just waits for MR to tell him when it is okay for him to turn around. Man, I think I can talk about this adorable couple all day!

@kimbapnoona @mayhemf you guys TT______TT I`m crying lol. When @mayhemf mentioned about Kyungsuk being confounded by Mirae's action, I legit remembered the 20mins request scene, and then I see you guys talking about it - I died. hahahaha

Mirae keeps on surprising Kyungsuk with her antics and it's amazing to see his deadpan reaction at these, but I know deep down he found her sooo cute (just like how he's calling out on drunk Mirae to walk straight but really, he found her so cute drunk walking) and hahahahahaha when he legit counted out loud, I was so done. Every little thing they do I fangirl. whyyyyyy.

It was really sweet of him to give her the 20 sec deadline. He knew she needed to be pushed. Its almost like he understood her.
And he was so accommodating by counting out aloud to put her at ease.
Agree @13infamyss @kimbapnoona - There is something so refreshing about this couple. Every scene when 2 of them are together is worth multiple watches because of their antics/expressions etc.

Also, I found this interaction at the beginning of t-shirt-changing-saga so endearing.
KS: ok, you change I won't look
MR: of course, you won't look

It is such a simple thing that MR said, but the fact she trusts him to not look shows her subconscious opinion of him.

My ID is Gangnam Beauty is the only drama that i am watching and loving to pieces ❤

I am watching Thirty but Seventeen as well aside from My ID is Gangnam Beauty, but my obsession with this drama is out of this world.

I'm so glad that may beanies watch My ID is Gangnam Beauty. How we short the title? MIGB? :D

All y'all are making me want to try this drama again.

Please do try watching it again. Give it a second shot and you'll appreciate this drama for sure. ^^

I am just starting watching Ep 8 now. HOLY... You guys, I can't read the subs, I`m laughing so hard it hurts. You legit don't need english subs starting ep 8. Kyungsuk's face alone will save you from misery HHAHAH.

How dare the show title tonight's episode "Basic Instinct" to tease us fans!!! How dare they!!! 😂

Right? hah, I still can't get enough about Kyungsuk's face. Even just be in friend-zone, Kyungsuk is possessive.

I`m dying. I kept repeating it over and over. Should you guys wants to see our silly boy-girl friend couple, I've posted gifs of them on my fan wall.

Poor Kyung Seok getting called a 'friend' by Mi Rae every two seconds. But to be fair, he did it to himself.🤣 He could have confessed and asked her out properly, but he used the school assignment as an excuse and this is what he gets.

Yes he did brought this to himself, so he really he has no one but himself to blame for this. And the fact that he repeated that cursed word "Friend" again when he was asking for her birthday - yep, this is all your fault boi.

LOL everything about ep 8 was for the win, from the intro on how he acquired a TV, to the housewarming party, to the title that popped out in the middle of their party, to.... yeah basically till the very end. If I wasn't obsessed enough with this drama, ep 8 took me on a whole level of bewitchment.

Kyungsuk's friendship with Mirae is already is already falling apart, only one episode has just passed. LOLOLOL

Just watching Ep 8. I am ROFL in the first 9 min. This is too precious!
Will join you guys when I finish!

Lol, I'm late to the party, but hopefully it will last a while because I'm completely with you on this episode taking my obsession to the next level! After the heavy emotions of ep 7, ep 8 was such a fun change of pace that has me desperate for next week!

@mayhemf @chandler our party never ends, so feel free to join in whenever! We can talk about this drama all week and try get through this waiting for new episode game as less pain as possible ^_^

*Gangnam Beauty Ep 8, contains spoilers*
Oh my!! what a fun dorky episode.. heart it!! I laughed so hard. Can these 2 be any more dorky..
ok, am sure am watching this episode a few more times this week.

And what a fantastic 'first-date-NOT' ever!! I am totally going to eat popcorn with straw-sticks!

This episode was all about KS! What a straight-shooter - 'don't tell your birthday to Senior'. 'You didn't pay senior'. The look on his face, when she tries to friend-zone him by slapping his arm. Oh my goodness, these 2.

I hate to spoil the mood, but I am lost about Soo-Ah. She doesn't like anyone liking anyone else? So its not just KS or MR, she basically want all men in the world to only look at her? I hope they have some explanation for this.

KS - Time to learn survival skills - I can't wait for him to do house chores. Its going to be epic.

I could almost stay in this dorky stage forever, if I didn't also want them to get together asap (lmao what am I saying, they'll probably be this dorky, always).

They are just so completely clueless about what they are doing, and I just love this weird in-a-relationship-but-not stage when they both are both nervously wrestling with their mutual attraction.

Mi-rae is very conscious of where her feelings are headed, but so resistant to them and completely incapable of realizing that she's responding to his clear interest in her as much as his good looks. Poor girl thinks this is just what having an attractive male friend is like...honey no.

It doesn't help that Kyung-seok still doesn't seem fully aware that what he wants is more than friendship from her. He's so unused to questioning his own behavior, like how he wanted to see her handwriting, but didn't register why such a request would be out of the ordinary. Still, he manages to be a straight-shooter without even realizing it and it is the best most awkwardly adorable thing ever!

Also, MI-Rae has no confidence. She not only thinks she is attracted to his looks (ignoring all other aspects) but she also thinks he won’t like her in that way. After being rejected in life before she doesn’t trust she can be liked. With these 2 in their current mental state, we are at an impasse. unless KS gets his act together, confronts his feelings and straight up tells her he likes her in a romantic sorts.

It was so sweet when she was thinking to herself ‘my heart will fail at this rate’. This girl is funny in a her own way.

Mi-Rae isn't used to male attention and she's really trying to force a friendship so that she doesn't delude herself into thinking that Kyung-Seok has a crush on her. But Kyung-Seok is falling HARD for her and poor thing can't see it.
I get secondhand embarrassed with Kyung-Seok jealousy. His awkwardness yet the way he constantly tries is endearing.^^

@mimu1234 poor guy, he just wants to have a conversation with her and fit in her world. But he has no clue.
He really wants to get close to her. He notices how comfortable she is with her friend and senior. He just wants that for himself but thinks it’s his failing. He doesn’t realize she is so aware of his presence.
Second hand embarrassment- that’s the right word. He is like a middle school kid trying to fit in or make friends.

@mayhemf EXACTLY my thoughts.
He is so stunted emotionally and so is she that it is going to take a little bit for them to open up to each other.
I'm looking forward for him coming out of the shell he has created around his emotions and express himself more. It's hard to watch him so controlled when he obviously has deep feelings for her!
Him being confused and jealous is totally hilarious and her being awkward as hell calling him "chingu" on every opportunity
and eating popcorn with chopstick is damn hilarious too.(That scene made me laugh out loud)
Lets hope we get some progress soon.

@mimu1234 Thats why I Feel him leaving home is the best decision. He needs to struggle and grow emotionally.

And how cute was Mi-Rae's proud expression after the straw-sticks use. Like she solved a world problem.

1) I love all the flailing im the comments about how awkward Mi Rae and especially Kyung Seok are, because hi, it me. They're so adorably clueless and dorky I just can't.

2) I really appreciate the consistent characterization in this drama. KS isn't just weird and awkward and unclear on how to interact with Mi Rae, he's that way with everyone. The scene where he's in the job placement office at school had me in stitches. He's so deadpan and unfazed about expecting a high paying job even though he can't provide the necessary paperwork (I assume his dad is holding that hostage) and refuses to answer any questions about his background. I died. I would call him shameless but for the fact that he doesn't seem to have any awareness that his behavior could be seen as embarrassing or outrageous. He's just blissfully bumbling through social interactions and doesn't care, or even know enough to care, except when it comes to Mi Rae.

I just love their ridiculousness so much.

@chandler @mayhemf @mimu1234 @alaafia

To add on - I really like this version of Kyungsuk who tries hard to fit in group conversations. This boi is so aloof all his life TT___TT Everyone thinks he's cool and that made him unapproachable, but really he just doesn't know how to socialize. And I`m glad he's going out of his comfort zone because Mirae triggers him. I am really curious to see how Kyungsuk lives in the real world without any help from his parents.

Also I've got to comment on his desperation to get to Woo Young and talk to him the moment he put his room up for rent. Like. Not only it's a cheap rent, but it's legit the perfect, dream place to live in - so close to Mirae's!
hahahahhaha. He brushed off Soo Ah telling her he's busy, he walked at a lightning speed then decided to run instead to get to the TA's office as fast as he could, and telling the pervert sunbae he's busy he's got no time to hear his sorry. lol. boi, he needs to get that dream room and you people are in the way! haha

Yes, I completely agree about the lack of confidence. She doesn't even consider that she could have the right to like someone like him and that's a pretty huge part of the webtoon too.

This is why I love the progression of their romance so much. Because it just feels SO true to where their characters are right now in their lives. Some people could get frustrated with Mi-rae's ineptitude but the way she will find more hilarious, ridiculous, yet inventive ways of ensuring that he'll never suspect she wants anything more than friendship is endlessly entertaining to me. And yet, I love how, behind all that awkward cuteness, the reasoning for their inability to progress towards romance is actually quite sad and will require quite a bit of growth on both their parts, but especially Mi-rae.

@alaafia

"I would call him shameless but for the fact that he doesn't seem to have any awareness that his behavior could be seen as embarrassing or outrageous. "

- Exactly! I also love how the more he wants to fit in, the more he reveals how socially awkward he is when he's actually trying to impress.

Still, he is improving, slightly? Lol, in his own way. I notice how he'll make a comment that could seem presumptuous, if I didn't sense he said it because he's actually grown more attune to what Mi-rae might be feeling. When he wonders if Mi-rae wasn't wearing perfume because of him, I really felt as though it's out of concern that Mi-rae might be the kind to put others before herself, him included. It's just that his blunt way of broaching the topic almost just makes him seem conceited for making such an assumption. Yet the scene manages to perfectly convey how he's mentioning it for her and how his insistence that she wear it is more meant to signify him putting his negativity towards perfume behind him.

I agree that the characterization is very consistent, in all other aspects of the show. Even Soo-ah isn't just singling out Mi-rae, but seems to have a deeper problem with a compulsive need for validation from others. For some reason, this sets her slightly apart from other manipulative second leads for me. Even if her presence is frustrating, I'll admit I find her fascinating.

@alaafia Ah, the job recruitment office scene. How on earth is this dude going to make money. First, he was reading a book in the library about making quick money. And then we wants high paying job and has no intention of working overtime or disclosing any information. He is such a tease!
btw, I think he doesn't like to be known as him fathers's son. That's why he doesn't disclose any personal background. The moments he writes down his father name, he will be favored - he knows that.

I really want him to figure out his life and start learning the ropes to survival. So, am not supporting him to move in with his mother.

I totally agree with you, they are so sweet and dorky !! This is my go-to drama right now, everything else I watch is just to fill my time ^^

About Soo Ah, I think she just needs so much attention she can't bear to not be loved by everyone exclusively. I fear for the sunbae couple... Because they are very sweet too, but I am afraid the guy is going to ruin everything because of Soo Ah's manipulation. Thankfully that doesn't seem to work on Kyung Seok ^^

On a side not, I am so looking forward to "life as a roommate" by KS ! It's going to be so much fun to watch him clean the house (as he couldn't even open the bottle of liquid soap by himself ^^). As you said, "epic" is the appropriate word :)

And look at that smug face at the end of the episode. like really tho? "I live here now"... (whatchu gon' do bout it?) lol I honestly thought he would freak that Mirae came over to bring some food to Woo Young, but nope he strutted in Woo Young's house like he owns it and legit brags to Mirae that he lives there! I`M DYING AGAIN.

@13infamyss I too thought he will be disappointed that she brought food for the senior. But instead he was acting like he achieved some major victory :) have to watch this episode again. I have 2 episodes of Mr.sunshine in the backlog to catch up but am so obsessed with this show.

@mayhemf Well, it is indeed a major victory for him. He can finally ride the same bus with Mirae TT______TT No more watching her bus drive away before his eyes. TT_____TT

hehheeh There are only 2 dramas I'm watching ATM. Thirty but Seventeen is a Mon-Tues show, so that's how quickly my Mon-Tues go by. But I feel your pain having the need to see both this drama and Mr. Sunshine and they air on the weekends. T_T

@13infamyss what do you mean by "TT_____TT". sorry not savvy enough!!

Am watching 30n17 too. But that is a very easy watch and doesn't stay in my head after the show. But GangID and Sunshine I go into an analysis mode! Its good that I have the weekend for this so weekdays am back in work mode.

@mayhemf hehehe that's fine! TT____TT is me being overly dramatic and crying lol. it's like 2 tears rolling down from each eye, the ____ is my mouth. It's like this emoji 😭 see this link -> https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=T_T

heheh hope this makes sense? :)

This whole episode is like jealousy fest for Kyung-Seok 😂😂 He's so cute & obvious about wanting to relate & be with Mi-Rae.
I dislike Soo-Ah more and more with each coming episode. I get that they will probably try to justify her behavior, but there is No excuse for her being so hateful and heinous.
She probably hates herself so much that she wants to make others around her suffer. Why, or WHY does she want to step in between the cute "chubby" upperclassman and the other nice upperclassmen guy other than the fact that she can't bear to see anyone else happy. She doesn't even really like Kyung-Seok, she just want to keep him away from Mi-Rae just to prove to herself that she can have anything she wants.

Yes that's basically it. It's really funny, she thought Kyungsuk apologizing to her is the gateway to take advantage of Kyungsuk. LOL can't believe she tried to win him with a sobbing story about moms.

Anyways, I wrote this comment on one of my fan walls, but lemme copy and paste this on here too. This is what I think of how Kyungsuk treats her now:

"I feel like Kyungsuk treats her now like he treats others. Before he would fire back words at her, but now, I guess I would say, she’s now on Ye Na’s level. He doesn’t care and he stays away. I think I like this treatment better cuz that only means he couldn’t care less about her. He used to shut her down because he saw his mom in her, fake, manipulative, and only cared about vanity (or of what he used to think of his mom).

You know what they say, hate is not the opposite of love, it’s indifference. ^_^"

Exactly my thoughts but why do I feel him speaking with Soo-Ah may mislead Mi-Re in thinking he likes her coz she doesn't really know he likes her which I really don't want in this drama.

@mimu1234 @lululemon
Regarding Soo-Ah. Even if she manages to shake up the Sunbae I won’t blame her. I would only blame the senior. If he is going to waver it means his heart is not completely with our senior-girl. SHE deserves someone better.
I think sooah has a very messed up family. It’s almost like she wants to periodically check if her weapon(beauty) still had the power to destroy. Like you guys said she can neither accept love nor give love.

@mayhemf I totally agree with you. The senior girl deserves someone better in future if the boy ends up ruining things coz of Soo-Ah.
But, Soo-Ah has a thing for breaking up couples or people in love its like that type of person that wants what others have they pretend to like someone just for the thrill of making someone miserable and show they have power.
I sometimes feel for her she should just accept things or love herself more.
Even I feel she has a messed up family.

@mintkiri I feel sorry for her. Only because she is just 20/21 (thats the age right?) and these are still kids. If she doesn't fix it now, she is ruined for life. Thats why i feel she needs all the help she can get. I agree, there is no excuse for her behavior, but sometimes even the worst of people change and make amends. And for her own good, i want her to change.

if she remains the same until 25, then yes, she makes it to my s***-list. So until then I don't want to hate her yet.

@13infamyss, @chandler, @mayhemf, @mimu1234, @cabanaalbana, @raonah, @librarianerin, @therevels, @mintkiri

The only thing that makes Soo-ah bearable for me right now is that KS sees through her facade and has no patience for her nonsense (and I am grateful that SA did not interact with MR at all this week.)

Judging from the preview, KS might be getting a part-time job where SA works where she got her job purely based on her looks (although she seems to be a fine employee who attracts lots of business for the coffee shop.) Just as much as I hope that TA Sunbanim would be a great mentor and friend for KS helping him learn to be.......human 😆, I am hoping that maybe KS would be that person speaking honestly and talking some sense into Soo-ah? But then again, that would mean we will have to see more of her and I am not sure I am ready to stomach that.😅

But in a drama that is exceeding my expectation each episode, I would love that Soo-ah would get her own growth arc instead being stuck being a one-dimensional bitchy SFL.

Perhaps those who are familiar with the webtoon can give us some hope of how her character is handled?

@kimbapnoona I agree with you. KS might actually be good influence for her. She needs to be called out. I can't wait for MR to face her and call out her BS.
Like you, i cringe every time she appears on screen with that fake smile. But if she is going to help MR/KS to get closer to each other, am ok with dealing with it.
Also, am looking forward to more screen time for Eun (MR's friend who spotted SooA in her neighborhood). All these people need to shake up this woman and put her in her place and show her love and loyalty goes a long way.

@mayhemf @mimu1234 @mintkiri @kimbapnoona I have mentioned this before, but I have lost all my sympathy for Soo Ah when she brought Mirae's nightname back into her life for her own gain. I`m glad it back fired to her cuz Kyungsuk called Mirae cute twice right to her face, but she gets no redemption to me after that. So really, at this point, any scenes of her I could not care less. I just hope the class rep calls her out on how fake she is in front of everyone. She totally deserves it.

@kimbapnoona in the webtoon, yes she does have a sobbing story, but really not enough to justify what she has become of and how she's ruining people's lives for her own personal gain. If Kyungsuk's mom and Mirae's story broke me, Soo Ah's story left me -___-. I can't believe I spent 3 chapters reading her back story. Sorry (but not really sorry) I had to say it was a waste of my time reading her chapters.

Mirae and Kyungsuk's mom did everything they could to better themselves, and did Soo Ah. But Soo Ah's way of justifying her "better" self was inflicting pain on others, and that's a big no no for me.

@mayhemf and yes I wholeheartedly agree that if Kim Tae Hee and this sunbae break up over Soo Ah, it's not entirely her fault. I would seriously put the blame 100% on the senior for being an idiotic jerk, and I'd say Tae Hee deserves someone who looks only at her like she's everything. ie. how Kyungsuk looks at Mirae (lol see what I did there? inserting Kyungsuk and Mirae in anyway possible! ^_^)

@13infamyss i agree that her backstory (whatever it may be) doesn’t negate anything she has done so far. Am just baffled by her behavior and am hoping I can make some sense into it if I know her history. It would be bad if she is beyond redemption. I fear letting loose such people into the society, so hoping she gets fixed :) she is toxic. So this behavior needs to be called out and ended. Where else if not college?

@kimbapnoona the webtoon has a pretty long arc that explains why Soo Ah behaves the way she does. It doesn't make her any more bearable, but it makes her behavior more understandable. This isn't a spoiler, I don't think, since her characterization is close enough in the drama to infer it, but basically she's hurting, deeply insecure, and distrustful of people and feels the only thing she can count on to make it through the world is by being the most desirable/untouchable girl wherever she is. With the way the drama has gone so far I'm sure they'll adapt some of her backstory from the webtoon, though they've already changed some significant details. The main issue I see with the drama being able to make Soo Ah's motivations understandable is that in the drama she's arguably gone further with her nastiness than her webtoon version. On the webtoon she didn't go as far as to search for and invite Mi Rae's former classmate (and knowing that her appearance and seeming interest in him alone will be enough to reel him in), nor did she try to score sympathy points with KS about not having a mom--in fact I feel like sharing the unglamorous details of her personal life with anyone is the complete opposite of what webtoon Soo Ah would do. She doesn't want anyone to come anywhere close to seeing the real her.

Thank you @13infamyss and @alaafia for sharing what you know about the webtoon! Perhaps the drama would make Soo-ah more understandable, but like all of you @mintkiri, @mayhemf, and @mimu1234, her actions are inexcusable and already beyond redemption at the halfway point of the drama. I do hope the show spend more time on some of the interesting side characters like Eun, Jung-boon (both seem like such cool and real girls), the short-hair boyish sunbae Yoon-Byul, or even the wise-cracking sidekick Sung-Woon and even KS's little sis, of course never at the expense of having many more delicious scenes for our OTP, their roommates, and the parents who are worthy of their love.

@alaafia @kimbapnoona @mayhemf From my summary, I know I made it sound like Soo Ah's beauty pain was less than what Kyungsuk's mom and Mirae had to go through. But as @alaafia mentioned she did go through a lot of pain growing up as well and the only way she knew to cope up with it was through her natural beauty. Perhaps, she hasn't noticed the pain it would inflict on others in exchange of protecting herself from hurting, or maybe she just doesn't care at all... but one thing is for sure, the drama is showing us how these ladies had to suffer just to be accepted in the society. They have their own different cope up mechanisms, whether it's in a good or bad way, they had to do it the only way they knew to get through their toughest days.

And yes Yong Chul scene was not in the webtoon, and this is perhaps the reason why she aggravated me in the drama more cuz she went an all time low and I just simply blacklisted her. ~__~ The sunbae/Tae Hee/Soo Ah scene wasn't that elaborated either in the webtoon. I honestly don't even remember if these were the right people involved, but I do remember that this scene did happen in the webtoon - that Soo Ah broke up a couple because she went after someone's bf. Nevertheless, in this drama, they're really exposing how Soo Ah works to get all them boys' attention to her.

@kimbapnoona I completely support more focus on all the side characters. I love all of them. I would rather see them than Soo-Ah.

And thanks @alaafia @13infamyss for telling us how the drama differs from webtoon. Her disclosing something personal about her mother was definitely out of character, for someone who is so secretive.
She is a living a lie so she really can't let anyone inside her life for fear of being exposed. I guess i can just ignore her from now on.

Like many here, I in no way think Soo-ah's actions can ever be excused, but I do think the webtoon (and so, hopefully, the show too) offers pretty compelling reasons for why she might turn out this way. @alaafia explains her really well. Though it's hard for me to empathize with her after what she's done, I do pity her.

(I get a bit spoilery from here, so only read ahead if you don't care about that)

I only just caught up with the chapters about her in the webtoon and feel as though she reflects some of the negative impact society's standards can have when someone has a lack of love or good influence from family growing up. It shows how she goes from being bullied at school and at home, to finally appreciated at school when they notice how pretty she is. This, I strongly believe, has messed up how she values herself, since literally no one valued her before she was pretty. Unfortunately, this has resulted in her becoming extremely obsessive about being number one.

One thing about Soo-ah, I do appreciate the irony of how, should she lead a boy astray (thus displaying his lack of sincerity) she actually becomes a cruel help to some of the girls, though that is hardly her intent. In the end, any person who would be able to so easily fall for her, could not really truly care for whomever they were pursuing before. This ultimately makes all her "victories" quite sad, because they are of little to no value. Perhaps that's why I can still pity her.

What concerns me is the scene with the grandma in the drama, because in the webtoon all of her family seemed pretty horrible towards her. No one really took care of her, but for the drama they might be changing that. That could affect my sympathy towards her.

@chandler RE: Soo Ah's victories. Adding on - her going after Tae Hee's boyfriend shows she's really not singling Mirae out in this. She's literally out to get all men to fawn all over her. It just happens that Mirae has the attention of the #1 guy at uni and he won't budge. And that makes Mirae slightly a special case for her. The #1 guy has to like her too for her to be #1 too

It's absurd. and yes you're right - it is a little to no value to us, but it is everything to her. Sad how everything seems superficial and Mirae had to be tangled up in this, but I guess she needs to learn something from this too and if it's Mirae who needs to reach out to her with a helping hand, it's what needed to happen...

Still! she's blacklisted to me! xDD

Meteor Garden 2018: After the show making us wait for what feels like 5 years, the best thing about Shancai finally coming to terms with her feelings and admitting it out loud to Ah-si is seeing a violent bully with anger management issues being completely whipped by our heroine and does not mind it one bit, or two, or 100. I will gan bei all the soy milk, wine, tea, whiskey, and lemonade in the world to that! *death by PPL

My ID is Gangnam Beauty: Epi 7 is about Kyung-seok’s growth and the further revelation of his mother’s past is heartbreaking. I love how it enables our hero to see his painful childhood memory in a completely different light. Surprisingly what moves me even more this episode is seeing Mi-rae’s father’s continued effort to support her daughter’s decision and embrace her new looks. His quiet grief about not being given the opportunity to say goodbye to the old Mi-rae is one of the little things that makes this show much more than a standard youth rom-com. I also love that the pacing is snappy and people who matter talk to each other!

What did I watch to balance out all the sweetness of the 2 YA dramas? A creative adaptation of a Chinese erotic fantasy novel which manages to pass censorship titled
Bloody Romance: The heroine joins a King-sanctioned organization of badass woman assassins who will Kill any Bill for hire. Our hero is our heroine’s chosen “Shadow” who not only tends to her every need, coaches her on the art of seduction, but also guides her in ways to navigate her advancement from her assassin internship (because if not, she dead.)
We know their romance is going to bring some bloody angst since love between the Master and her Shadow is strictly forbidden.

This organization is basically a Chinese Hotel California where you can drink all Baijiu on ice and stab with your poison knives but you will always be prisoners here. If you try to leave, they will torture you and you know you are better off, dead.

The show also features:
A sexually frustrated woman mob boss who loves her chemically castrated Shadow
A crossdressing King with Gene Simmons hair
Sageuk leather bodice and flogger

"who will Kill any Bill for hire"

Heehee

That line really got me too.

Where are you watching BLOODY ROMANCE? I've got my eyes on this c-drama. I love your colourful review , especially the erotic fantasy novel thing. I didn't know about it.

Thank you! I read the first few chapters of the novel because I was really curious what kind of creative ways the show's writer had to employ to make this drama work according to all the rules. I have to say that the show is doing a great job to make it sexy with little gestures and looks and the world actually feels richer and characters more whole (of course, I am making this judgment just based on the few chapters I've read.)

It is available on YouTube currently subbed up to episode 17 (36 total which is relatively short for C-dramas.) I believe it will also be available on Viki in October.

LINK to the book please. :D

this sounds like the perfect October-type show, I'll keep my eye out, thanks!

@giegie0384 and @linda-palapala
I read the novel in Chinese online and am not sure where you can find the English translation. Honestly the novel is not a great read (I gave up after a few chapters) and my understanding is that the author never even finished writing the story. However what the novel gives us is an intriguing premise and I think the drama writer is doing a wonderful job to bring a lot more depth and development to the story.

The Chinese title is Mei Zhe Wu Jiang and the novel can be found here:

:( Thanks anyway! ^^

This site https://productiveprocrastination.site/category/bloody-romance/ is translating the novel to English. Currently it's up to Chapter 12. Beware though, that the novel has adult contents and very explicit graphic scenes. For the drama version, the original author is also the screenwriter and changed the story for the general public.

It is subbed up to 14 and available on Dramacool.

Hahahaha Chinese Hotel California! Id like to watch this with you and see your commentary 😂😂

Anytime my bunny buddy @dokutokunaneko!

Second this. I'm on episode 5 and enjoying it immensely. It is visually beautiful. The lighting, the wardrobe, the cast, the setting, and the animations are gorgeous.

Ooh, where do I find the novel? I think it hasn't started yet where I can watch it, but hope it comes to viki

YouTube with somewhat adequate fan sub up to ep 12 as of today:

It will be available on Viki in October I believe.

@linda-palapala, I scanned three random chapters of the English translations at https://productiveprocrastination.site/category/bloody-romance/ (thanks to "hat" upthread.) Oof, it's absolute shite. But the show is surprisingly compelling. And here I said I was going to take a break from C-dramas after Fuyao.

Ha, ha! Famous last words. I've already watched episode one of Bloody Romance on YouTube.
And I'm already back to episode 18 on the rewatch of Fuyao - hadn't realized how much I ff'd thru the 1st time. Apparently I missed quite a bit...
If you read this reply, maybe you know...I'm having trouble with the concept of the "seals" that are on her. What is that really?

Good question regarding the five "seals. Were they locks put on her real identity as the Lotus? I don't think I can remember every unlocking either. The first was the most memorable for me because Wuji was thunderstruck (and so was I). ;D

@tsutsuloo I don't remember all 5 seals either. But what scene was the first where Wuji was thunderstruck? Is that the scene I just watched where he sees the dragonscale and she rises and he sees the 5 colored stone? Or is it somewhere else? Should I read more about Chinese fantasy tropes??

Do I get it now? After the seals are unlocked her true identity as the Lotus is revealed? I was very confused about that whole section towards the end with all the lotus stuff. Maybe on the rewatch it will be more clear. Or site explains it - Virtual Voyage, is that the site you mentioned? What I read on wikipedia as the synopsis, I think they were using the novel not the drama.

@linda-palapala—Yes, I was specifically remembering the dragon scales/blood stone scene.

It would have helped to have some title treatments or interstitials marking the unsealings. When everything's treated the same way, it's hard to distinguish turning points.—particularly in a series with 66 45-minute episodes!

Now that I think of it, Fuyao's uncle said that her secret (sleepwalking) martial arts training is what started the unlocking.

During the course of the series, I saw editors update the Legend of Fuyao wiki page to reflect the drama's storyline. For example, when the series began, the wiki described Fuyao is the child of a maid. As the series progressed, that bio was swapped out with one matching the drama.

All the same, that English language wiki page helped me give some order to the kingdoms and characters. I prefer visual character relationship charts but those are easier to do when the series is complete. ;D

Ohhhh T____T I know. I also love the father daughter moment they had where they held hands going home. That was so sweet. Her father accepting her for who she is now. He might not understand fully quite yet why she had to go through all this, but he’s accepting her now and realized how she must have suffered with his rejection, and that’s all that matters.

I really love that the show continues to dig deeper into the father/daughter relationship and shows its progression this week, but you know what makes me appreciate it even more @13infamyss? That we get this incredible husband and wife scene together where the husband is able to tell the mother how much it hurts him that they hid with the surgery from him and the mother is able to understand finally his reactions.

And how cute was that noraebang family outing! I am totally going to do that with my family next time I visit them in Asia.

It made me all fuzzy to know that even when MR went through bullying and negativeness in the outside world, she came back home to this beautiful and warm family. No wonder she is so talented and such a warm person. It clearly shows how well you can turn out when you have a solid family backing.

I cannot wait for KS to be part of her family to experience all these warmth and love!!

@kimbapnoona LOL on KS getting to know her family. I think he is in for a major shock because MR is a total fun character and very few people are privy to that side of her. I can visualize his eyes popping in shock seeing MR and her dad dancing the night away!!

Hehe @mayhemf, if MR's dancing feet were enough to make him happy for so many years being the cutest thing he had ever seen......this boy is indeed going to be in some life threatening heart stopping shock!!

Ohhh I so agree! the way she said sorry to him for hiding it. It's heartwarming to see them come together and realize the different kinds of hurt they had felt with that one decision Mirae made. But this issue definitely showed that their family bond is much stronger that they can set aside their personal issues with each other and move on.

OMG please invite Kyungsuk over to another family noraebang night!

Mr. Sunshine: 8/10. 10/10 for a certain tram and its sudden stop, and for a certain lady who brought a gun to a swordfight.

30 But 17: 8/10 Life Lesson #17: if you have a crush on someone, always be sure to get their name straight before anything happens.

Individualist Ji-Young: 1/10 Decided to try this because Beanies praised it here last week. In the first 26 min nothing happened except characters being unlikeable. Don't know what was after that. So what if it's only 2 hours? I could watch a lot of paint dry in that time.

Witch's Court: 9/10 Decided to try this because people praised it here last week. This one's a keeper. One of the witches reminds me of Nanny Ogg.

Lovely Horribly: 10/10 The antics of the female lead were so funny in day 1, I did't think about the male lead and his history. Then day 2 was better. My new favorite if they can keep it up. The "opposite fate" mentioned in descriptions of the show remind me of Terry Pratchett's Oh God of Hangovers and his relation to the God of Wine.

Voice 2: 5/10 First week reminded me how much I hate it when a police show has so much pointless unreasonable obstruction from other police. And we didn't get the high-tension 911 (112) calls and frantic rescues that were the best part of season 1. But the good parts of season 1 were so good, I have to stick around.

Let's Eat 3: 5/10 Almost ready to drop it before the episode 4 "first kiss". That might keep me around for another ep or two.

You are tempting me for Lovely Horribly. Can I ignore male lead if my sides are splitting?

Voice 1 - yes, I love the high tension 911 calls the most in the beginning of the series. I watched a bit of Season 2 and had a feeling it was going to be senseless gore. I don't know if I was right.

You can try it...I hate that actor's antics but both the premiere episodes were solid....
Love the cover pic...Chan my baby😘😘😘😘

Who's Chan?

I am talking about the drama beans cover pic featuring Chan from 30 but 17

Voice 2, unfortunately I agree it looked like senseless gore. Plus it was immediately clear what actor is playing the bad guy and I don't like him, so that kind of ruined it for me.

I really hope they lay off the Big Bad for a while and give us random kidnappings for a few weeks.

I'm watching Lovely Horribly as well, and even tho I'm not going to give them a perfect score yet, it is quite packed and got me hooked from the first hour. I tried really hard to look past beyond whoever park shi-hoo is, and it still hard, but the show premise and opening is really good I just can't stop. And yes for song ji hyo's character antics!

lol lesson for life about 30 but 17. so apt.

Warning for Witch's Court: The 4th episode is the best. And rest is okay. Don't have high expectations from the story, it wanders away.

Do I have time to pick up Witch's Court as well? I just... Nanny Ogg? That sounds awesome.

@Lord Cobol
I also watched Individualist Ji-Young because of the positive reviews, but I didn't like it either and I watched all 2 hours of it.

Witch Court? Or do you mean Witch's Love? Am kinda confused because you said witches & the only witches drama with a real witch that comes to mind was Witch's Love

Same show, more than one title.... Pretty much anything with "itch" in it will be the one.

Mr. Sunshine is currently my one and only drama. I love everything about it, ....even though I know we are signing up for a boatload of pain!

Seriously, @beantown? I miss your posts, but this drama seems so sketchy to me. Wish I loved it as much as you! Still watching it though.
Maybe because I can't get over Legend of Fuyao...

I do get it. @linda-palapala

Mr. Sunshine has so many strikes against it right out of the gate.....not only it is a KES drama, but it has LBH as the lead (and YYS as NOT the lead).
Really, I'm surprised to find there are any other beanies watching at all!

I like the ensemble cast, Kim Tae ri is extraordinary, I get tragic "Tale of Two Cities" vibes, and I have a serious weakness for underdogs.❤

My biggest issue is the lousy subs with Netflix.

Oh, Netflix - lousy subs. That might explain a few things. I get frustrated because Netflix doesn't bother to sub when they speak English and I can't hear what they're saying so I have to go on the computer with headphones to listen to the English.
Frankly, I ff thru all the scenes with the ensemble cast, I don't care for any of them, but I blame the sketchy dialogue the writer gave them. We're supposed to care about them because of the longing pitiful stares they give? That's the directing trying to make up for lack of dialogue.
After the emotional performances of the leads and ensemble cast in Legend of Fuyao, the difference is too stark.
Hey, and I'm the queen of "weakness for underdogs". (ha, ha!) Most of the time I even sympathize with the bad guy.

Ok, I'm convinced, I start vacation tomorrow and will watch Legend of Fuyao!

@beantown I'm rewatching and having a heck of a time with (imo) slogging thru ep 11 because I want to get to the Wuji/Fuyao scenes. Frankly the first time I watched I ff thru some of the exposition and secondary characters. Feel free! Viki makes it easy when you can ff 10 seconds at a time!

"We're supposed to care about them because of the longing pitiful stares they give? That's the directing trying to make up for lack of dialogue."I stopped watching Mr Sunshine exactly for that reason. And I find 24 episodes for this writing and directing style too much. I don't have the patience to hold out up to the end.

@beantown I finally worked thru ep 11 (Fuyao) and 12, 13, 14, 15 just got more and more fun. Must be those exposition-ey setups that are slower but then you're rewarded with the more exciting payoffs.

My priorities right now are live and my id is Gangnam beauty. I've been lost interest in mr sunshine.

i thought i was the only one.. completely lost interest in Mr. Sunshine.. and i have come to see why people always complained about KES scripts (althought i realized the problem only by ep 12 of Goblin)..

Her scripts take the most b'ful setting and are so so so superficial.. it's amazing how or why her dramas are a hit.. Mr. sunshine has no deep meaning and everything is just pretty and superficial

I think her scripts have a lot of depth, actually. My husband and I analyzed Goblin inside and out and thought it was an interesting commentary on life and death, not really religious, but more philosophical, how people in your life should hold more meaning when they’re alive vs. dead, and how we all have regrets once our loved ones die, and maybe even the dead have regrets as well. And then when I realized she wrote the script after a good friend of hers (I think it was a director or writer) committed suicide, it added another layer of meaning. I may have rewatched the entire thing again after I learned that. Goblin’s one liners are some of my favorites in kdramas. When Gong Yoo muses: “If God only gives you hardships as much as you can bear, then he must have thought too highly of me,” meaning that God must think that he’s stronger than he actually is for all the tragedy he has faced. In life, we will have trials to the the extent that we may want to quit, but understanding that we are stronger than we think we are will get us through them.

The same with Mr. Sunshine being a commentary on class and discrimination in the early 1900’s. She very clearly wants us to understand that the Joseon Ae-shin is fighting for is one heaped in descrimination and Eugene refocuses her beliefs so that she thinks about the world she lives in and hopefully change it and not just defend the status quo. Many of KES’s lines hold double meanings as well. Here’s one from Mr. Sunshine that I expounded upon: http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/08/mr-sunshine-episode-11/#comment-3287753.

I hope this helps those who aren’t sure about KES and her writing. She does well in Korea because you can take her dramas at face value, but also has deeper meaning if you look for it. And she uses the Korean language better than most other writers with lots of plays on words that are really lost in translation. This is why I appreciate DB’s recaps by people who understand Korean and these subtleties! Thanks Dramabeans!

@ally-le Thanks for the explanation.
Though I've not yet started watching Mr. Sunshine yet (i want to binge watch it) but I totally agree with Goblin It was for sure such a meaningful drama. I especially liked this lines “The ones left behind should live even harder. We might cry from time to time but we should smile a lot and cheer up. You are obligated to do that in return for the love you received”
I could easily connect with this line. And thanks to you I got to know why and after what she wrote this drama as I was really amused with such deep thoughts focused in the drama. Now I want to re-watch or re-read the recaps.

Hmm Goblin is her best work, that i concur. Having said that, i thought precisely the same as you state up until ep 12, but then i realized, this story has been stagnant from the very beginning. Sister arc was weird.. for all the flashback, brother-sister didn't exactly spend "quality" time/emotions, for both of them their love became more important (while i understand that from sister's perspective because king was everything for her but i don't get goblin's perspective). I will also agree with you that overall goblin atleast has a theme, although episode to episode there is little to show and effectively most of the story coverage happens in a few episode, others were mostly fillers. No wonder Gong yoo agreed to do this, he is known to have an eye for the scripts and KES was dying to work with him. The actors were phenomenal.

Now, if I compare her other works - Heirs (if 17 yr old could take over the world like that with such cheesy romance where everything is so unrealistic, what can i say to that); secret garden ( i like the twist/truth which gets revealed at the end about why male lead was so attracted to female lead from the moment go.. but ultimately, episode to episode, it is just romance and romantic moments put together.. again she benefits from having good actors)

Mr. Sunshine- for me is the most lacklustre. Actors are really good, but something is missing. For all the emotional arcs, i feel nothing. This drama doesn't make me care about any of the characters. Worse, i watched upto ep 10 and it just feels so superficial. There is no commentary on class system, other shows do that much better. It really boils down to girl and her suitors in another era's clothes. And the girl, i am still not clear what kind of a freedom fighter is she? One whose only contact is her mentor? she doesn't even know what other fighters are doing? Is she really that stupid to consider any anti japanese as a reformer and ask them upfront? And worse off, in times like this, the way childish "bromance" amongst the three males was being set up was so frivolous.

It literally boiled down to, I am an aristocrat's daughter but since i have to be different from other women, i will keep mentioning reform in every scene. And we are men in this drama, our whole purpose is to be smitten with love. The character who actually seems to have some gravitas is the lady who owns the hotel.
However, this view is based on first 10 episodes, so hopefully drama improved post ep 10

Ah, I see. I hope there is a deeper purpose for the men than just being in love with the same person. I think Hee-Sung is the darkest horse for reform and I quite enjoyed his scenes this last week, cashing in favors to amass monies for something—probably to fund the Righteous Army. KES has slow-moving plots, I agree with most here to, but I’m optimistic there’s a story here that’s worth telling.

Thank you, @ally-le. I have such a profound love for Goblin as well, and I find myself reflecting back and revisiting meaningful scenes.....
I have probably worn out the YouTube clip where they confront God in the bar- catches my soul each and every time.

Ah me too, and Let's eat 3 for me. May be I'll try Mr Sunshine when it's end.

My weekend is well spent by rewatching Another Oh Hae Young. Watching for the second time, I am more objective compared to when I was watching while it was still airing. I remember loving it too much I couldn't accept any bad comments about the drama, and especially towards my beloved characters. I still love Eric and Seo Hyunjin, and despite loving their potrayals as Park Do Kyung and Oh Hae Young, I now see problems everwhere. Let say, I know someone like Oh Hae Young in real life and it was a headache. Huhuhu....I guess this has to do with me growing more mature too. Hahaha...Still....I love it. It still stays special to me.

I am now having a withdrawal syndrome. I need a new dose of drama 😱

I am enjoying 30 but 17, but I feel like it's past time for people to figure things out. Too many fakeouts! I love all the characters, though, especially Chan and Jennifer. And it's rare that a show actually makes me laugh out loud like this one does.

I think the second half will focus on it... hopefully

Fortunately in 30 But 17 the LOL moments outnumber the GroanOL ones caused by the now tiresome fakeouts!

My current crack drama is thirty but seventeen and my life is Jo seung woo😍😍😍😍😍

30 but 17 ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Jo Seung-woo is life. ;)

Life: This drama continues to suck me in. Despite not having a central plot (well, aside from how is the doctors and management going to find a middle ground to create a hospital they both wanted), everyone brings their own problems and agendas on the table. And I'm happy to see the drama tactfully tackled it one by one. Like the contradictory position of people who worked at organ donation centre. Or the 'unnecessary' surgeries loophole that sometimes happened in the orthopedic dept. It never forget to deal with the hard balance between maintaining ethic and reaping profit that people in medical field facing.

I'm liking how natural the friendships and alliances formed and shifted. Everyone behaving like a normal people, neither fully black nor white. And I like how most of them are willing to give respect (however grudgingly) when it's due, and how they aren't above changing their opinion about someone once they know them better.

I'm anticipating more strategic alliances between President Gu, Ye brothers, and also No-eul. And I want to see both Oh Se-hwa and Chief Joo to step up the game and start doing concrete things to improve Sangkook Hospital. (Plus, am waiting in trepidation for No-eul's reaction to Sun-woo's unexpected confession)

Agree as usual haha ;) ,
but maybe you forgot (selective amnesia =P ?) Sun-Woo's condition , hoping they won't use a terminal illness trope :(