Jeon So-min joins Kim Ji-suk in tvN fish-out-of-water romance
There’s a new tvN Friday night drama on the way this fall called Top Star Yoo Baek that’s got a classic city-slicker-meets-country-bumpkin setup, and actors Kim Ji-suk (20th Century Boy and Girl) and Jeon So-min (Cross) have signed on to play the leads. They’re great choices since the drama calls for comedic chops, which they’ve both proven in previous rom-coms.
Kim Ji-suk will headline as Yoo Baek, former idol star who turned to acting and became a household name as a national star. He’s a vain, unapologetic narcissist who gets into some major trouble, and gets exiled to a tiny backwoods island (presumably for image damage control). There, he’ll have the culture shock of his life in a place far from civilization, and meet and fall in love with country girl Jeon So-min. It’s basically Modern Farmer with less rock, but do I ever tire of seeing haughty top stars being taken down a peg or twenty? No, never.
Jeon So-min’s character is a deep-sea diver who has no interests outside of studying and diving. She’s lived such an isolated, quiet life in her small island village that she hardly even knows what a smartphone is. Kim Ji-suk’s top star is, of course, the very opposite in every way—he’s an early adapter who lives the fast life, chases trends, and distrusts others. The drama is described as a culture-clash romance in which the top star will flail and fall, grow and change, and find love.
Top Star Yoo Baek comes from variety PD Yoo Hak-chan (Albatross, Ear Candy) and will air on Fridays on tvN beginning in November.
- Jeon So-min, Kim Jung-hyun courted for new MBC drama Time
- [Movie Review] Underdogs Take Off on a heartwarming Olympic journey
- Jeon So-min offered tvN prison medical revenge drama Cross: God’s Gift
- 20th Century Boy and Girl: Episodes 1-2
- Kim Ji-suk, Han Ye-sul confirm lead roles in 20th Century Boy and Girl
- Kim Ji-suk considers MBC rom-com No Sex and the City
- More runners for SBS’s Running Man
- 1% of Anything: Episode 1