Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Mr. Sunshine: It’s been a bit of a slog in recent weeks, but I feel like I’ve made my way out of the plot swamp and onto solid ground. The ramp-up to the finale has turned up the excitement and emotions significantly — enough to make me annoyed that the show spent so long treading water and saving up all the good stuff for the end. Emotionally, it’s been a strange experience watching this drama because I don’t really connect with our main characters and haven’t really cared about their storylines for a while, but I do feel the pathos dripping from the performances of Kim Min-jung, Byun Yo-han, and Yoo Yeon-seok — gahhh, especially Yoo Yeon-seok! To be honest I wasn’t sure I’d make it to the end of this show, which has always felt to me to be more style than substance, but now that we’re here at the end I’m curious to know how it all shakes out.

mary

The Ghost Detective: What a cruel show. First you kill your hero, then you build this tragic sorta-loveline that cannot be, then you continue hurting the hero even after he’s dead. Then you only air an hour this week? Stop torturing us! Kidding aside, I hope the pre-emption doesn’t mess up their cruel well-planned cliffhangers, because it’s one of the things that they’ve been doing great at. (Aside from choosing the best wardrobe for Da-il to die in, because that dark blue shirt is gonna look gorgeous on him for all eternity.)

The Guest: This show feels like it was made by someone who adores horror. Someone who enjoys a good build-up, a fakeout, and a jumpscare. I know this PD worked with one of my favorite shows last year, Voice, but I didn’t know he also worked on gems such as Liar Game and Black–both were great at giving you this feeling, like you’re living in the same world where these characters are. It’s no wonder I’ve been having nightmares since I started The Guest, but I’m so invested in taking down Park Il-do that I can’t seem to stop. If someone catches me drinking gallons of water, please send Hwa-pyung’s bickering, reluctant squad for help.

Produce 101: Season 2: Three of my four boys didn’t make the cut so my real-life friend has been sending me special clips and fancams of my tragic favorites. I’m pretty sure she’s doing it 10% to comfort me and 90% to get me hooked on K-pop, but even knowing her evil plan, I still can’t stop myself. Maybe I’m possessed by a lesser evil spirit. One who destroys the lives of its victim by excessive binge-watching of pretty boys.

Produce 48: Now that I’ve started this properly, I can see the pros and cons of Japan’s vs Korea’s training system. Korean trainees are so polished when it comes to technique, while I feel like the Japanese trainees (on average) have less talent but a lot more heart. It makes the battles unpredictable because your brain knows that one group performed better but your heart keeps pressing the button for the other team. Or maybe I’m possessed again. Blame the evil spirits for my fickleness.

Laica

Familiar Wife: I just started this a few days ago, and almost halfway through, I’m really loving it! I like how the time-travel device gives us a bit of a twist on the usual exes-getting-back-together trope: in this situation, Joo-hyuk is the only one yearning for his “ex,” because in Woo-jin’s mind, he’s never been anything but her sunbae at work. And yet there an echo of what should have been lingers over everything and everyone, giving a melancholy, poignant undertone to what is otherwise a really fun workplace drama with a great ensemble cast. The best thing about this drama, though (apart from Ji Sung, of course), is the way the male lead was introduced to us, and his slow journey to recognizing who he is, how he contributed to his own misery, and what kind of a person he has been to the most important people in his life. The writer—unsurprising for someone who has given us so many gems!—has skillfully created a hero who is completely unaware of his selfish and horrible actions, while also giving us so many reasons to understand him, relate to him, and ultimately root for him. Which again, is brought to its fullest potential with Ji Sung’s brilliant acting. I’ve also never loved Han Ji-min this much in anything—I always found her to be competent if a little quiet and bland, but she is so alive, charming and funny in this role! It’s a perfect one-two punch, and it’s such a pleasure when you get a romance in which you’re enjoying and pulling for both leads equally.

TeriYaki

100 Days My Prince: I have my hands ready to cover my eyes whenever the weapons are out as I continue with 100 Days My Prince. I’m so happy that I stuck with this drama because I’m enjoying the chemistry between the village characters so much. Kim Ki-doo has me in stitches whenever he tries to give Won-deuk romantic advice. He has no idea who he’s talking to and along with the rest of the villagers, I can’t wait to see how everyone reacts when he learns that the hapless Won-deuk is actually the crown prince. D. O. is very well cast as Won-deuk/Lee Yool, his poker face serves him well in this amnesiac fish-out-of-water scenario.

My Secret Terrius: I’ve only managed to watch the first hour, but this thriller has already gotten my attention. So Ji-sub is what drew me to this drama in the first place, but I’m impressed with the strong supporting cast. Jung In-sun is perfect as the harried mother, Go Ae-rin, saddled with spirited twins who make her life a constant challenge. So Ji-sub, as seasoned intelligence agent, Kim Bon, doesn’t know what to make of his chaotic but observant neighbor. The comedic interactions between Ae-rin and Kim Bon work well as balance to the sinister scheme that surrounds them. The first hour was well paced and over before I knew it. That’s a very good sign and I can only hope that the drama can manage to keep the momentum for the duration.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Thirty but Seventeen:
i'm 6 episodes in and i'm debating whether to soldier through a couple more episodes or drop this altogether.
I am bored, I can't really warm up to both leads, story is very vanilla... I want stakes, get me interested, on the edge of my seat, give me some romance or get me laughing... give me SOMETHING please.
It's not good that the person I find the most entertaining is the nephew (Chan) or the dog. The housekeeper make me smile also

You want sth to keep you at the edge of your seat then watch the guest...even @waadmay @greenfields and other beanies watching it will agree with me...

Hahaha true. But in a different sort of way. 😅

Now, what way???

Like, will I survive this episode. 😅

Hahhh....it's a bit scary to be honest....

The Guest is the Best .
All hail to The Guest , a great job from all the cast and it doesn't hurt but add and compliment that we have a handsome priest and a charming cab driver in both KJW & KDW respectively and a Kick-Ass detective in JEC .
All hail to The Guest.

I've had a nagging murmuring ala Park Il Do at my ear whenever I saw Jae Wook and Dongwook share a scene - "these two belong together, these two belong together..." and now I know why... Coffee Prince!!!

What is this guest you speak of? a current or finished drama?

It's a current airing drama , it's all horror, exorcism and evil spirits .

I felt the same like you: very vanilla story with the clichéd we-secretly-loved-each-other-at-school-so-our-love-is-FATE and the forced cohabitation, and I can't either warm up to both leads. I dropped it after a few episodes. Besides, Jennifer got on my nerves.

same, honestly the romance was boring, the plot was way too slow and what really got on my nerves is in every episode they tease the viewers with scenes that almost happen but don't. Like almost meeting the doctor, the lead almost learned the truth, the girl almost saw the painting ugh it was too nerve wrecking for me i dropped it!

I watched 2 more episodes and it's getting worse, not better... :( how is this drama getting so good ratings? I wonder

I suppose, it is because the target public to witch it is made, and obviously you are not that target. Yo don't like this kind of fluffly kind of "positive" characters and their normal life. You must need more adventure and thrill, so... you are another kind of public and that's ok.
Now if you check the recaps, even the comments in the last recap, you will hear from those who loved this drama to bits. Why? Because although it had its flaws (which drama doesn't), it was warm and loving and healing.
This drama has many beautiful healing lines that generally would touch anybody's heart, but mostly people who have been hurt or had been feeling guilty.
I know, it is not a masterpiece like "my ajusshi", but it is actually a very pretty decent drama to watch.
If you are not the ideal public for it, no problem at all. But the drama is good enough to deserve ratings. As far as I know it did well. And I also think the actors did a great job with their characters. The story could have been better, but it was ok, and they didn't ruin the end, which is a bonus 😂😂😂
Sorry for the long answer.

"You don't like this kind of fluffly kind of "positive" characters and their normal life. You must need more adventure and thrill, so... you are another kind of public and that's ok."

You're absolutely right. For me warm and positive characters living their normal lives are not enough to catch my imagination and interest. I'm longing for suspense when watching dramas. I'm not the target audience for "healing" dramas.

Same here. i got bored watching it.

I find it hard to talk about this drama because I built a virtual fence to sit on in the beginning - it's called the FINSE, you're welcome to sit there for a while while you make the decision on this show. Also, the show's pacing was terrible all the way through.

On the other hand... it's just so damn nice. And while I found the humour overly broad at times, other times I roared with laughter. In the end, by about episode 8 (16), I came off the FINSE and looked forward to it each week. This show has terrible pacing but in the end it was sweet, warm hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream.

Hang in there on Thirty but Seventeen- but it is true that Chan and Jennifer both add a lot to this show.

Ended up finishing the thing and it got even worse at the end.
Just seeing some backstories made me think this Drama totally missed the boat. They should have stayed in School with Boys/Girls love crushes, Violin rivalries... this was more interesting to me than the dross I just witnessed.
Sorry, that's how I really felt.
I'll give this drama 5.5/10 and they got to this 5.5 thanks to Fang (our 4 legged friend)

Hello beanies, I have been on break since after my studies. I am currently up to date with the dramas I missed except let me introduce her. I am currently watching the ghost detective, third charm, heart surgeons, devilish joy, the guest, hide and seek, lovely horribly,....I can't recall others but basically everything that's airing aside from daily dramas....

O___O That's a lot of shows...

That's because I really have not noticed to do before I decide what to do in RL...I am just delving into kdramas....

Wow....damn autocorrect 😡 😡...that's why I don't like using my iPad... I meant I have not decided what to do with my RL after completing my studies....

haha I'm in the same boat! RL has been hard these days... so I've had plenty of time to watch dramas while I try to figure out my life, but I'm not watching nearly as many as you are 😂

@loretta-hing it was a tough year for me so I want to watch as many as I can before I know what to do..and I got lucky the dramas that are been aired are actually great.....

Dramas:

The Guest. This weeks episodes were light on the scare factor & I managed to watch most of the eps without relying on the recap. The theories & speculation going round are great fun, and a handsome cheekbones Priest, a badass detective & a charming taxi driver are my new favorite drama characters (of the moment).

Terius Behind Me. I went into this for the spy babysitting kids hijinks I expected, and the Show delivered! 😄 What took me by surprise however was So Ji Sub. HOW have I never watched him in anything before? This happened with Choi Daniel too. Am I really a drama addict? My whole life, my existence has been called into question. *faints dramatically*

The guest: the last episodes were intense for me.. the exorcism with the three altogether is sth I might want to watch again....
Terius behind me: need I say anything it has So Ji Sub in it and a villain in So Ha Jun. I want to see how his character unfolds and bonus in Jung In Sun and Jason..

Yes, your existence as drama addict is called to question. I think we have to go to court...Before you faint "dramatically" I might prosecute you for impersonating as a drama addict and since you a lawyer you can defend yourself...wonder who will be the judge???... this whole scenario is already cracking me up 😂 😂 😂...

😅😅😅 what a scenario. *faints dramatically at the scene anyway*

Hahhh....😂😂😂😂

@greenfields ikr .. my thought was like, where was i all the time when SJS and DC making names with good kdramas .. thank god i found TBM and TGD this year 😂😭

I must offer a sacrife to thank god for this. 🤔

A week's worth of Subway sandwiches should suffice. 😂

🤣🤣🤣

Watch Master's Sun!!!!
SJS and his "kojo" is definitely worth it 😁😍

I haven't because ghosts! Horror! But if I can watch The Guest, I can definitely do Master's Sun. On the list it goes.

I watch Ghost Detective so i think i can watch this too 🤣🤣🤣

I just found Ghost Detective such a downer that I said "why am I watching this?" and quit. Sad, because I was really looking forward to this drama.

Oh from the reviews I am seeing here for The Guest, Master's Sun is nothing like that. It is basically a rom com with a few ghosts floating around. You'll just be a little scared in the first scene.

Oh is that so? Because I recall attempting to watch Master's Sun and being scared off it in the first scene during my early kdrama days. :D Awesome.

Yes, the first scene was really the only scary bit.

horror romcom, probably like, Lovely Horribly? Oh i can handle this ! 😤

Definitely!! The ghosts in MS are actually quite harmless... even I was OK with them 🙂 (and I'm NOT NOT NOT watching The Guest... would have nightmares for the rest of my life). 👻

@dorotka
It gets less scary and is more a detective show than fully gore and chill galore. After reading a recap, you will be able to tell which episodes are safe to watch! 😃

Agreed with @growingbeautifully - the Guest is getting to be more and more watchable with each week. At this rate, Park Il Do will be a harmless, rather shy spirit by the end of the Show. ^^;

LOL @greenfields 😂 You make my toes giggle! 😂

@growingbeautifully gotta say thanks for that one. 😬 one of the Best compliments I've received

@greenfields
That was the best 'worst' description of PID that someone could ever come up with!!! Harmless? and shy? ROLOL! You deserve an award too!

@growingbeautifully hey Park Il Do is a rather rude guest. You never know how his character arc will progress. Obviously one of the many lessons he needs to learn is the etiquette of being a good guest.

@dorotka SJS!!!! 😍😍😍

For me, "kojo" will be forever So Ji Sub's coolest line ! 😁 oh, add my other fav Joo Jung One, Two, Three

I LOVE Joo Jung One, Two, Three!

**watches @greenfields faint dramatically and wonders if she is channeling an over dramatic mother-in-law-like character**

Snap out of it! Dramaland is thick with oppas, and no one expects you to know and admire them all. Now you know the magnetic pull of Choi Daniel's cheekbones, and So Ji Sub's deadpan, yet oh so interesting, visage. Their broad shoulders will carry the weight of your admiration, but they may shrug and leave you prone on the ground if you faint. (just kidding, welcome to the SJS fanclub)

Being a drama addict is like being a Pokémon trainer ~ like Ash Ketchum you want to catch them all to truly become an oppa master, but with 150 or more to see (more oppas appear all the time it seems) being an oppa master is a life goal, a destiny.

... now that I’m going down this pathway of metaphor, I think the reason @greenfields hasn’t loved them before is due to “types” and “regions.” Like, you might call me a trainer who collects romcom types in the US region, where I too have found Choi Daniels to be rare. But if you were searching for Melo type from the Korea region, he might have been one of your first oppas in your Pokédex.

... 🤓

HAHAHAHAHA got it! *snaps self out of it*
But honestly though - dramaland is overrun with oppas! I was too busy being a child before and largely only noticed the late 20s to early 30s oppas, but it seems of late my scope seems to have expanded to include older oppas (like So Ji Sub).

lol what a clever & witty way of describing these incredibly lovely oppas !

I never was a big Daniel Choi fan but oh that changed with his beautiful stubble of a beard and raaawr!! I love love love his looks in GHOST DETECTIVE and the acting is on point.

As for So Ji Sub... oh I'm a FAAAAAAN!! He caught my eye in 2012's Phantom, and it's been mad love ever since. He's so handsome!!! Master's Sun remains my tried and true fav, and the love for him went even deeper while watching OH My Venus.

I mean, look at this clip! How could you NOT love him?

So ji sub has been my ultimate bias for almost four years now. He’s simply amazing and I’m excited everyone is loving him.
Seeing Choi Daniel in TGD is a different experience. I’ve loved him as far back as School and loved him in every of his project since then but iI’ve never been as attracted to him as I am now. Da il is simply mesmerizing 😍😍😍
This year has just been about people rediscovering and discovering actors I’ve loved e.g. Jung Kyung Ho, Jung So Min...
it’s been an good year.

Whoa UB status is serious business! 😊😊 Jung Kyung Ho is another actor I discovered this year. I've seen him in other projects but Life on Mars I wasn't completely sold.

He always looked so put-together in past works. Now that he's a little rumpled (and staying rumply since he's a ghost), he is, as you so aptly described, mesmerizing!

Jung So Min is my favorite actress

I first stumbled on Daniel Choi in a sweet, little two-parter called Waiting for Love, and I thought he was adorkable. The Daniel Choi from Ghost Detective is a more mature and sexy version, for sure! But, you might still enjoy him in his cute puppy dog phase. It's worth a watch.

Noted. 2-parters are great for when one has no time to risk getting obsessed with a drama! :) Thanks.

My Daniel Choi enlightenment was High Kick 2! Hwang Jung Eum has had successful chemistry with other, dreamier leading men since, but doctor secretly dating his nephew's tutor remains one of my faaaavorite romantic subplots of all time. Daniel + Jung Eum was the best.

So Ji Sub was the male lead in "Oh, My Venus", also in "The Master's Sun". I first saw him in the Chinese movie "Sophie's Revenge" where he had had a significant supporting role. He is an award winning actor- you probably have seen him in something before

"HOW have I never watched him in anything before? This happened with Choi Daniel too. Am I really a drama addict?"

That is exactly what I asked myself while watching Deserving of the Name Dr Ho! HOW have I never watched KNG in anything before? Have I really been a drama addict for more than a decade??

Just watched 100 Days My Prince and I love D.O. He is cast perfectly and I love him. I swear to God he is amazing. going to start new dramas from today since my papers are over.

what am I NOT watching at this point???
Third Charm was devastating for my mental health and I want to thank everyone who helped me keep it moderately together before, during and after the episode. I was a happy person thanks to you.

DorKJ is illegal and Esom isn't allowed to smile so light-heartedly and often it's just RUDE and indecent. I may or may not have broken my trachea trying to not scream every five seconds.

100 days is my crack and makes me look weird in public since I watch it on my way home from work. so far it's my favorite of the current kdrama batch. SLS is strong no matter how much I love the purple prose book club. it's so funny!!! and I love NHJ so much!

I've only started watching Terrius because I wanted to make fun of the shithole capital of my country, but wow it's not what I expected it to be. I'm into it! Healer meets Mr. Nanny! the kids are cute and the leads have a lot of chemistry already. if it keeps being wacky and action-packed, I'm keeping it.

also I'm going to be watching the first episode of Player today for classified reasons. actually, there is no reason. no reason whatsoever. I just like kdramas, ok??? can I like kdramas still???? leave me alone!!!!!!

it's fine, I'm fine, this is fine.

You actually better off than me....

I haven’t found any site with subbed episode of Player otherwise I’d watch it already! We’re going to see a lot of more of Poland in flashbacks I guess... Now I’m mad why nobody shoots dramas in Prague?

To add insult to injury, Memories of the Alhambra was partly shot in Budapest, "the shithole capital of my country". What about Are You Human Too? They filmed in Prague, too, didn't they?

AYHT was shot in Karlovy Vary!

you had Han Hyo Joo visit you and you DARE to ask for more?? ungrateful and disrespectful.

Viki has the Player and the first episode is subbed.

LIAR

I am a liar. Viki has it but the episode is only 15% subbed. I swear it said 100% last time I looked. I apologise for the lying.

lying liar YSH is in it how could you not triple-check do you not CARE about my wellbeing???

We all know your heart failed a day ago and you're just a puddle of blood tears so I apologise only the appropriate amount.

It's 16% now. Sheesh, just learn Korean already. It shouldn't be hard for a disembodied fangirl who sacrificed her blood tears to Huntoker.

; ; I don't deserve this

I had a good laugh at your fake outrage over Third Charm. I'll definitely check it out!

I think the trick to surviving this is. to. just. keep. breathing...

I would love to watch with you next weekend if it's possible. I shall forever regret missing episode one of Third Charm with you and the other Rabbit Beanies yesterday. *sigh*

I was disappointed too. Hopefully it'll happen next week as well and I can join in then.

Joseon Gunwoman ends this week. 🦓
The Guest. Park Il Do ! 😈
Watching Father Is Strange.
Watched 1st ep of J drama Gibo to Musume no Blues
Watched 1st ep of J drama Takane No Hana
Watched C film, Wished. Goddess grants a loser 19 of his wishes.
Watching C drama Ru Yi’s Love

Who's Joseon gun woman????

Mr. Sunshine ☀️.

Thanks....very apt description for it...

There are subs for Takane??
Though I've heard from my Japanese friend that the show is not very good...

I found one correctly subbed episode. I like it so far.
* There are some unwatchable mistimed eps out.

Yes, the drama had a bad reviews over all. Most find Ishihara's acting chop is lacking and the story is a bit crazy,,, not in a positive way. ( despite there are many J dramas that are both crazily eccentric and well crafted)

Takane no Hana is finally subbed! Ishihara's character is so weird, I love her.

When you gonna try the Fugitive Boys? aka Bokutachi ga yarimashita. It goes well with your taste.
Except me no one has talked about it here.

I watched Fugitive Boys a couple of months ago. I enjoyed it.

For those looking for a good J-drama, try "Tokyo Girl" (NetFlix). Much different than your usual Japanese drama, but not sure if available anywhere but NetFlix.

Watched 1st ep of Third Charm. Really enjoyed it, not sure how it morphs from this cute show of back in the day to a drug bust in the modern day🤔

Father Is Strange is great

It took me a few eps to like Gibo to Musume. I found the first esp is a bit over the top( in part Ayase's career woman is a bit too eccentric) but then I warmed up to the drama. I hope you will enjoy the drama

LOL at @mary comment about drinking water 😂 I meed to resume watching The Guest, after someone made a comment about inviting the ghosts into our home by watching such shows I’ve been too scared to watch it further. But reading comments about hiw the show keeps getting better I think I’ve regained enough courage to resume watching. Yes, I’m a big scaredy-cat when it comes to ghosts. I don’t mind gallons of blood or serial killers but I’m totally spooked by ghosts stories.

I enjoyed two first episodes of Terius Behind Me way more than I expected! I’m glad the show doesn’t take itself too seriously because otherwise we’d be robbed of SJS babysitting scenes that left me in stitches 😂😂😂 Seriously, the show would be worth watching just for those scenes alone!

I’m a bit confused about whether there’s going to a love line between Bon and AR given her husband just died. I don’t know why I expected that she’d be a long time widower from the promos.

I'm confused about the love lines too but I will just enjoy the babysitting scenes...

So far Terius has been better than what I expected. I just hope it does not follow the usual pattern of k-dramas and get bogged down in the middle with filler and useless sideplots.

funny coz I thought the same thing: How are our leads gonna get together if her husband JUUUST got murdered??? :-(

just like you, @cherryinbloom , I'm 1000% in it for the So Ji Sub babysitting gig! He's just the best at deadpan faces in extremely funny situations. I rewatched the scenes with him picking up the kids and playing on the slides at least twice!! Priceless!!! and you can tell he had a REALLY hard time keeping a straight face! LOL. I loooove it !!

and you know what else surprised me? Seeing my adorable Kang Ki-Young, who has been just THE BEST comedic supporting actor of late!! He's the cute awkward uncle in Weightlifting Fairy, the funny Director in What's Wrong With Secretary Kim, the funny chef in Oh My Ghostess AND the funny side kick in Bring It On Ghost (which I didn't finish, because the lead's acting was sh*t). I was so pleasantly surprised!!

Omg, i didn't know Kang Ki Young was in this too. Need to catch up!

He's a small side character.

I travelled last weekend and spent quite some time on train... and thus finally finished Still 17. I think Shin Hye Sun and Yang Se Jong did great job portraying their characters and the main couple was sweet and I liked how the heroine was not afraid to change her dream... and yet this drama is memorable for me more because of the side characters - Jennifer... Chan... and Chan's two friends. I shouldn't be surprised perhaps with this writer as I loved the son-father-grandfather trio in King of Savvy and was enjoying the poor secretary and office hijinks more than the main couple...

And now I'm on F.I.N.S.E (sorry Chan, not sure about the right spelling 😂) with 100 Day Prince... episodes 5&6 were definitely better than 3&4, but I still have the impression that the characters act on writer-nim's whim and I'm not always following the show's logic... funnily enough, I'm currently enjoying the most the palace intrigues and minister Kim is my favourite villain (Jo Sung Ha is great!), kill before being killed...

Checked 1st episode of the weekender My Only One... and when I realized that I watched majority on double speed and the only character I liked was the Fake Father who is supposed to meet the famous TOD, I didn't even bother to check the second episode.

What I thoroughly enjoyed though were the first two episodes of Terius. It was sooo funny 😂 especially the scenes with inner monologues full of suspicions based on completely wrong ideas 😁

Still keeping Choi Jin Hyuk's smiles.... though don't know for how long... the new batch of dramas is coming and I'm interested in nearly all of them! 😱

My Only One... Evil Step Mom character = X.X DOA, couldn’t finish first ep. Sorry Uee, catch you in something else.

Ikr. Actually all family drama have this one nonsense, mean and ignorance middle aged woman but this show doing it too much by giving us two (uee stepmom and male lead mom). Im still watching it tho, but still uncertain if i can even go till 10 episodes.

I'm glad the F.I.N.S.E is getting some use. Feel free to use the replicator and change the screens in the bar to whatever show you choose.

F.I.N.S.E is great! 😁😁
I would have credited you... if my memory for names wasn't so terrible (I wasn't even sure I got the "spelling" right 😂).

I'm so disappointed with what they did to Fake Father in My Only One. He's the only character that I care (aside from Do-ran). The ML is bland and unlikeable, the plot is predictable, and the world building in this drama is so small, everyone is connected to each other, it's ridiculous. I'm sad to see UEE in this drama, she deserves better. I've watched up to ep 8 and you can just skip straight from ep 1 to ep 8, and you still don't miss anything, lol, that's how shallow the plot is.

Watched Empire of Gold. I have not seen all of Go Soo's work but this was the first time seeing him play this type of character. For me he did an impressive job. I liked that the writer went a different route with the main lead. Typically the main lead will get caught up in revenge or money and have a big set back then the he or she learns their lesson and appreciate what they used to have. Not Go Soo's character. He became greedy and stayed greedy no matter how many set backs he had. When it comes to money sometimes people change and stay that way. I know the family made me appreciate what I have. All that in fighting and switching side was too much. From the comments it seemed as if people were dissatisfied. I wasn't because in my view none of the three leads deserved a happy ending. All three of them were greedy and did underhanded things. 20 plus episodes was a bit much but I endured.

Finished Risky Romance. Um, yeah...

Watched the premieres of Heart Surgeons and Terius Behind Me. Liked what I saw so I will be watching them when they end.

Cheers to you for finishing Risky Romance, I laughed out loud at your comment.

i really enjoyed Go Soo in Empire of Gold also! it was a long haul to watch at times, but i enjoyed the drama and the interesting "open" ending...
; )

i really enjoyed his role in The Front Line, the movie about the Korean War and the relentless taking/retreating of the front line and its effects upon the soldiers on both sides.

I also liked his role in Front Line. It was also my first time seeing Shin Ha Kyun in a role like this. The characters I've seen are usually confident and at times rather boisterous. In Front Line his character went through some changes. Not everything is black and white when it comes to war.

I've changed my mind and continued with TIME (EP 20). I think it's Kim Jung Hyun's one-man show. I should empathize with female lead but I can't thanks to the actress. She's trying to show micro-expressions but fails. She gives a wooden performance especially when she started to behave like a snob and cold rich woman I didn't see any difference in her acting. Her tone of voice is expressionless, too. And I fail to understand this lengthy wrangle over the marriage between Soo Ho and Chae A. What's the point of it as regards Soo Ho or Ji Hyun? What are they supposed to gain from it?

By the way her sister's death was an accident. It was Ji Eun's choice to be a call girl and make money quickly and then go into the swimming pool in an intoxicated state so why should Soo Ho and Eun Chae A be responsible for her choices? Yeah, they mistreated her but that wasn't the cause of death. The way Ji Hyun is acting like the whole world owes her a huge debt really began to irritate me.

Heroine's blames everyone in the world for her whole family's misery caused by her own family members.
Sister was earlier involved with that pimp guy but never accepting going the call girl route. The whole drama is nonsensical trash. I dropped it as soon as Hero said goodbye.

Time was not bad for the first few episodes, but went off the rails about 1/3 of the way through. I finally watched to the end, but not the best drama ever. But not the worst either.

Suddenly I think Yeo Jin Goo can do 100 days prince well. Its a pity that he doesnt get good script like that.

I like Terius. Jung in Sun is so cute. Im glad that she has a drama really make her shine. And her acting isnt overshadow by Jo in Sub

Presenting my very humble list:
1. Mr Sunshine
2. Ghost Detective
3. Terius Behind Me

Like some Beanies, I'm waiting for MS's 23rd ep with mix emotions 😝 .. buuuuut TBM unexpectedly very funny. I love it when they put the songs and background music from the western movies to make the drama even funnier

The Boy next door- this show made of 15 short episodes (7/8 min each) is so damn hilarious
The ghost detective- it's the first time I like Daniel Choi and all the other actors are really good( the forensic lady is especially funny)
100 days my prince- love it.
Devilish joy- there is something cute about this show...
Hide and seek- I am watching parts of it strictly for Lee Yoo ri

Third Charm: I like it. Seo Kang Joon as a petulant rather whiny college student is hilarious. He is Funny and that was expected especially with his turn in Are you Human, too? I take back my commentary about him being bland. OOOOH, it's nice to be proven wrong. Esom is perfect as a bubbly, take no nonsense, beauty school failure is great to, her relationship with her brother is sooo cute. I will be watching.

Heart Surgeons: The first two episodes were solid. However, they did one of my kdrama pet peeves, which was to undercut the female lead to make the male lead look smarter and more competent. It really bothers me, I will continue to watch, because it was solid outside of that, but this is a we shall see.

Ghost Detective: I'm really sad there was only one episode. Park Eun Bin continues to be spectacular in this role. I love a quiet performance (where the actor conveys emotions without any of the usual dramatics), she is so understated, but effective in this. Also her chemistry with Daniel Choi is sizzling. I feel genuinely bad for the detective, especially because his crush is so obvious.

The Guest: Everything is out in the open, we know who the players are. Let the fighting begin, also I just adore Hwa Pyung.

Devlish Joy: Well he remembers. hmmph. It looks like he is finally going to tell her about his memory problem. Also the height difference between them, ha. Choi Jin Hyuk's smile is like sunshine, he should do it more often. I would forgive him as often Gi Bium does too, even though she really shouldn't.

100 Days My Prince: The Prince's Aa-hoy is so funny to me. I too enjoy his honesty because you know exactly how he feels at any given moment. His new found crush on Hong Shim is setting p for fun shenanigans. I am curious about the baby daddy though, he would have to be brave to have sex with the crown princess, and also be able to get close to her without suspicion, hmmph. As for the rest, I don't really care. I am sad about the Eunuch though.

Let Me Introduce Her: Apparently this is the last week, so it's all going to come to a big soapy end. lol

Cheese Seo Kang Joon is villain
Entourage Seo Kan Joon is a overly annoying hero
well, Seo kang Joon can't act. Opposition
Robot - He's our Oppa
Time changes fast in tv industry.
I'm not impressed wth 1st episode.
Side character female character ranting about Plastic Surgery. SIGH. Why do female characters or extras have to do that in each and every kdrama?
If you're studious then wear spectacles and be unsocial. sigh
There were 2-3 more similar annoying scenes.
Quite bad episode. Acting was alright.
I don't think brother will survive for long. Accident says hello.

So you didn't like the episode, but the acting was solid.

I didn't watch Seo Kang Joon in Cheese. I thought he was bland in Entourage. I couldn't finish Robot, so he wasn't my Oppa.

I don't know what you mean about the time changes in the tv industry.

I hope I understood you, ha.

Accident says hello--ahahahaha! I had no intention of watching this but now I have to watch the first couple episodes just for this.

tell me about it. At first i thought this drama will have some depth in their characters, and we will easily relate ourselves into. then the scene with extra came, and i feel like, okay, yeah, i don't think i will get anything here. too bad, i really wanted to see Esom as main lead. i only watched SKJ in CITT which i hate not because his acting but how this drama misinterpret webtoon characters in general, but would like to see his other works. sadly, until know, none of his drama (plot wise) has caught my attention, and this one also shall pass too. there was a rumor where he would play in webtoon based drama 'something about us'. i am interested to see since i feel like he has uncanny resemblance with webtoon character, but i heard it was cancelled ? sigh.

I started Third Charm just because there was not much else on that had been subbed. So far much better than I expected. Sometimes I miss the best shows because of the really crappy descriptions so many have (how many times have you seen that "miss xx is bubbly and hard working.." description?

My only real issue with Hwa Pyung is that he is incredibly careless with the lives of his close ones. His shaman friend nearly died the other day and yet, Hwa Pyung seems to show no sympathy for the perilious adventures he leads his friend into. He just dives into it head down, with so much concern for his "mission" and the victims, but not very much for the people around him...

no? just me?

This is fair. I think he is so focused on catching Park Il Do that he forgets other people are new to it.

I actually never thought of it like this. I took it as he is just the type of person who takes people at their word and respects their decisions. If you say you're going to help, he isn't going to coddle you or treat you like you can't handle it. Like when he recruited the priest and cop--he told them it'd be dangerous and gave them an out, but once they said they wanted to do it anyway, he accepted their decisions without hesitation. I like that he treats everyone like adults who can make informed decisions and live with the consequences.

This is also fair. haha. I'm going to go with this because I like Hwa Pyung.

I like this perspective

He's also dealing with adults who are pretty darn aware of what they are getting into. They know the risks and are very aware of the stakes. I'm actually finding it quite refreshing that he is not coddling the cop, because a lot of shows would do that to a female character. I like Hwa Pyung, I like how he is gathering his posse of demon hunters, and I can't wait to see them work together.

Good point! I never thought of it since I was so wrapped up in the comedy Lee Won Jung brings, but I would hate for anything to happen to him because Hwa Pyung is leading him to these dangerous situations!

My Secret TerriusThis drama is just my cup of tea. The handsome So Ji-sub and the two adorable kids that's the perfect combination. i love how the neighbors help each other and their detective/ spying game is on point. It was so easy for them to catch the kidnapper.🤣
b>100 days my Prince I love how this show setteled the conflict and confusion about Hong-shim's brother. The show is growing on me. I'm not so ready for the angst part. Let the funny humor continue.
The Guest I'm loving this show- I like how Gory that show was in the beginning to captivate our attention. I wanted them to know how all the 3 are connected to each other and it happened. I'm curious like everyone about the demon spirit Park Il-do. Episode 6 not yet watched (will watch in the night)
Devilish Joy Finished episode 5. It has all the cliches but it's my guilty pleasure. I just love Choi Jin-hyuk's smile. The chemistry between the leads are adorable and I love how childish Hoya is and a typical fan boy.🤣
Meteor garden 2018 It's on hold on episode 28. I loved the new version and Daoming Si and Shancai has all my hearts.😍😍 49 episodes are still far.
DRAMAS OF INTEREST:
The Third Charm I'll start this today at night.
The Ghost Detective Heard awesome reviews about it plus Daniel choi is pure love.😍 I'm planning to start it tomorrow.
Waiting for next new batch of drama premiers.

The way the neighbours rallied to catch the kidnapper was HILARIOUS!!!! and right at the same time that the Korean Intelligence was chasing Terius! LOL
click click a few text msgs, nosy neighbours and observant strangers not scared of poking into people's business and "caught ya!" ! It was just the perfect example of a good neighbourhood watch.

The Guest: Forgive me Father, but I’m only halfway through episode 6 and the director is manipulating my thoughts with camera angles and lighting. Good grief, how is one man so beautiful? Anyway, I love this show. I love that composition of the gang as they are slowly discovering who they are to each other. And I may have enjoyed the possessed woman stalking the man in the tunnel just a weeeee bit too much—but hey, smashing the patriarchy is foremost in my mind right now.

Ghost Detective: I haven’t seen this week’s episodes. I’m behind because even with the preemption, Wed/Thurs is too full. I'm really looking forward to yet another demon busting gang working together to take down the baddie. (Anyone else have a secret crush on the medical examiner?)

The Third Charm: Esom is boss, and in my next life I want to be just like her. Seriously.

My Secret Terrius: I know So Ji Sub usually plays these deadpan type characters, but it works so why mess with it. Those kids playing doctor with him, forcing him down the slide, making him eat that disgusting gummi bear during the tea party, gosh I love those kids. But I will gif So Ji Sub precisely folding towels and watch whenever I need to sooth my soul. Continue to be good show, I need your cuteness.

I thought the cut with them talking about how he was an expert in 103 forms of mayhem and destruction while he is folding towels was hilarious.

oh it was perfect! LOL

"And I may have enjoyed the possessed woman stalking the man in the tunnel just a weeeee bit too much" - Ikr. As a standalone scene, it was a thought provoking reversal of what we see IRL.

I have lots of thoughts about how the show is subverting some gender stereotypes, but will leave it for the next recap. Seriously though, especially this week, watching her stab the bullying patriarchy office worker in the neck was quite cathartic.

On this btw, I'm really liking that the Show shows how the demon possesses someone because of the anger & hate they have working them - and usually because of their unfair treatment at the hands of another. Their own internal demons vs the demons in the real world, this is what the Demon Spirit exploits. If so, then ultimately the ones giving Park Il Do such power are regular people anyway & in an ideal world, he'd never have existed. It's a plot point I like - vs Park Il Do's minion spirits taking over just about anyone which often happens in horror.

the way the little kids looked at him after serving him "tea and food": lots of blinking, like, "aren't you tasting it?" and him, "... really?... ok..."
I laughed so hard at his inner thoughts about that gross gummy bear !!!

I'm curious about the fine man you talked about in the guest....

Kim Jae Wook, the exorcist priest with a Coffee Prince past.

We eye the same man egads...

Don't we all...

tsk tsk, where is the love for KDW, poor him~ :p

I've a huge distraction-based dilemma about Kim Jae Wook as priest. He's been good at the role so far, but that face! (he actually keeps smouldering sexy even with back turned walking forlornly away.) I've the same peeve with Kang Dong Won on Priests. Or is the casting some sort of metaphor to how a cassock and collar could never immunize you from temptation? Is untouchable beauty the most demonic bait of all?

Been getting into reading again, so haven't watched as much as I had planned.

Guest: Getting better with each episode. I love how the team is coming together and the teamwork involved in that exorcism. Disappointed that Mateo didn't want Gil Young involved now that she has come around to pursuing Park Il Do.

100 Days My Prince: When you get the uncomfortable feeling that this drama may have more violence than Guest... Yul and Hong-shim really hit their stride this week and there was more plot development. I can't help but still feel on-the-fence about the drama. I find it sort of choppy and jerky? But Nam Ji Hyun and D.O. are so cute in it!

<b.Ghost Detective: Wow, that Samsung PPL was so painfully long, nonsensical, and a misuse of Kim Won Hae's tearful acting. It was weird since the other PPLs were well-integrated. That gripe aside, this is still the drama I look forward to each week (ugh, only 1 episode this week!) I'm always curious about what new thing we'll learn. I totally did not expect the new Sunwoo Hye development. I'm not sure how the characters will defeat someone like her. Will Da Il end up being an evil poltergeist? Mary is right about Da-Il and his blue shirt!

Risky Romance: Wow I finished it. The final scene was pretty cute and feel-good. Everyone's problems were resolved and they can go live their happily-ever-afters. Drama had great cast chemistry that was wasted on really nonsensical plot and character developments. Strange how Sera was suddenly so nice by the end when she was like over-the-top villainous 30 minutes prior. Feels like there was a scene missing, along with all those missing scenes of In-ah actually working at the clinic.

This person deserves an award for completely watching the torture names Risky Romance.
Either you Are into Trump-mode or the bravest among kdrama viewers.

I'm not the only one who has finished it. I believe ChinguMode finished it last week! I've got to say RR is much more watchable than whatzhisface. I can't believe I managed to finish it. The drama had set my expectations low from the first 10 minutes and it was committed to keeping those expectations low, so no fear of disappointment. Lots of cute smiles, though. And everything will work out fine because love, happy thoughts, and smiles are akin to magic and currency. I think Wondeuk (from 100 Days My Prince) would have had a better shot of paying for his meal with a wink here.

High five! We made it through.
I almost miss it...

Amog this batch I was the most excited for Third charm but why does it look like a sitcom? I know they are trying to give a dated feel provided that they are trying to cover a time span of 12 years. But as of yet there are limited sets and the story doesn't click well. I left in the middle of the first episode. Hoping for it to get better today.

My current watch list only consists of devilish joy, the guest and now Terius behind me which are the shows I enjoy and then lovely horribly which is there just so I can finish it off this week.

With the new dramas premiering this week I’ll hopefully pick up more shows since the last few months I haven’t had more than 4 shows on my watch list due to the drama slump I’ve been in.

that's a solid list! :-)

It felt like the beginning of a severe drama slump. I just don't have any motivation to get excited about new dramas after Life ended. Sigh...

Still watching Ghost Detective and thankfully it's back to being interesting and intriguing. I don't know why I've thought that Hye wouldn't be as frightening as human serial killer. But there she is with her childlike curiosity, charm, and mannerism. And even I (who have known who she actually is and what she is capable of) have difficulty reconciling that with the Lady in Red who kills people because she is... bored? *shiver*
Also, other beanies might already pointed this out, but this drama really didn't play around with its PPL game.

@gadis
Ghost Detective wins the award for the most 'in-your-face' PPL in which the article advertised is deliberately used to further the scene. First Subway, now the phone with stick remote. Sang Sub's most moving / affecting scenes seem to be tied to PPL. 😆

even I had to applaud the writers for how well they stuck those PPL. like, damn!!! I have never loved those subway PPL but this one was gold ! just gold ! and the phone thing? I felt sooooo sad when Mr. Han said he missed him! He's so lonely without him!!! *tears*

Yes, I was seriously moved to tears by Kim Won Hae's (Sang Sub's ) performance in that phone PPL scene.

The red ginseng however was awkward!!!

I'm thinking I may watch this series to see how many great PPL moments it pulls off. 😂

it just clicked and made sense to me now: she opened 1 tube of red ginseng for him but had one in her hands after because it's the SAME one!!! (like that subway scene)

I loved the red ginseng scene ! And I didn't see as PPL because for me, it's kind like yogourt. They always have one not too far.

I thought the red ginseng thing was pretty natural! I think of it like a granola bar or a stick of gum.

The phone thing... just earlier in the episode, Da Il took Sang Sub's pen and wrote out a response to Chae Won's questions on paper. But in the phone PPL: Sang Sub could only ask yes/no questions and Da Il had to play music (and peppy idol music, at that) with the stylus when he wants to answer yes (or was it no?).

A Mont Blanc PPL would have made more sense!