Open Thread #577

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

I'm frustrated. I want to support Dramabeans, especially after reading that JB & GF had to take day jobs to support themselves and our Beanie habit.

But how to support it?

It's ad-supported and I hate ads. I've been known to go years at a time without clicking on any and when I do it's probably by mistake. I don't think I've ever actually bought anything off an internet ad in my life. So I think the only time DB has made any money off me was when I bought something I didn't really need off their store. But that's pretty inefficient considering how much of the money went for shipping and the manufacturer.

I'd rather just throw money at the site somehow, if they would let me.

But if the new buyer/investor is who I think it is, they might not need my support anyway. Maybe.

I agree wholeheartedly. I fought my kids fundraisers for years on the same principle- I would rather donate than have to acquire more needless stuff! Maybe DB could offer a prime membership and sweeten it with a......idk, a down vote button? A chance to win a trip to Korea, and dinner with a kstar? Can you imagine us beanies frantically trying to join?!

I agree with you! Even though I truly treasure my DB water bottle and thermos flask, I would support them in other ways if I could.

Guess I've been out of the loop: Did DB switch management? I know last year there was that rumor but is it true now?

Everything that's been going on for the last year was explained here

The recent "Hello Dramabeans" clips under the Videos tab above seem to indicate that the new power has lots of power/money/connections.

Thanks for that link, LC. Don't know how I skipped that article but it was very enlightening!

Yes, I wish GF and JB the best

So i was right. I had talked about this issue several months ago.
People have wrong assumption that ads generate money these days. Banner ads lost appeal. Native ads(those article ads) gain prominence but even they hardly get clicks enough to generate money.
Pop-ups became popular because they forced users to view them but even their paying rates have declined significantly.

Its foolish to depend on website to earn the livelihood.

In the end Dramabeans isn't some registered company or a firm. It just another website on the internet. Accept it.

This might look silly but I think DB is a great place to appeal Korean products to international fans. I am saying this after seeing another melona post in the Beanies section. I think it can work wonders and it will be wrong if I say I haven't been tempted to try it once too but there is no Korean stuff where I live. I think @sicarius has been successful in making us interested in a thing we don't know of. But yeah, if this model was good then the shop would've worked too but I guess it didn't because of high prices.

But I think after the investor, DB isn't really going through a financial strain. I understand your urge to help them but I guess now things are settled already as things are moving steadily here.

True!

In the future though I'd rather pay them a tip whether through a patreon or something else. I'd happily just give them $20 a year and call it good. I don't like the ads on the internet now, most of them eventually get infiltrated by malware that tries to browswer hijack. The mobile device browsers are especially vulnerable to javascript hijacks (where you are suddenly on a different page than the one you were reading and popups start assaulting you). It's a known vulnerability but NONE of the mobile browser makers are working to close it.

I had to disable my Chrome because I just couldn't browse normally anymore. Every page I opened kept throwing me into a chain of random pages and sometimes even automatically clicked links on the pages. All the helps I sought online indicated that this had probably been caused once by a malware on a page containing ads and there was no way to rectify it now. This then continued to happen to chrome on ALL of my devices. I don't know if through my wifi or my google account or what. In the end I had to disable it and download an ad-blocker browser.

So I was just scrolling through the OT and noticed my name (and didn't get a tag?) and my Melona Phenomenon, so this is a bit off topic (I LOVE YOU DRAMABEANS, HWAITING) but I'm just gonna ramble about advertising for a second.

I mean, I didn't exactly do that on purpose to sell something, but since that blew up the reverse psychology of it and how it could be used in marketing has fascinated me; even when I see people on youtube doing a sponsored section on a video I switch off during it or fast forward. Like @lordcobol, I am never a fan of ads and have never clicked on one on purpose in my life, and I have a bit of a fundamental problem with advertising in general, but why people still do these things and have ad banners et al when they're not working is a mystery. Clothing and items sell out in Korean if a top star is wearing them (but not advertising them). You all went out and bought melonas because I RANTED about them not because of an advertisement, or even directly because of their PPL usage in a drama. Word of mouth and someone legitimately endorsing something without being paid to do so, but because they like it, is in my opinion a better marketing strategy. And I don't mean sponsored content, or a star being paid to be a model for a brand, I mean like my casual rant about Melona bars being awesome and being wasted had more effect that a 3 second clip of someone blandly telling you to buy something (even if they do actually like it). If people KNOW it's an advertisement or sponsored they're more likely to click away or switch off. Or at least, I know I AM more likely to do that.
TLDR: more people need to use healthy ranting in advertising... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Kay. Stupid pointless ramble END

But word of mouth or even stars wearing a brand is an advertising strategy in itself which advertisers do use to sell their products so that doesn't necessarily happen for free. I do understand your point but one way or the other they are somewhat marketing strategies where one might be more effective than the other just like in the case of banner and pop up ads.

Oh I know, that one is definitely not always not on purpose, since so much of what they wear is because they're an ambassador or whatever.
I just feel like I appreciate it more, or am more inclined to look into it if it's not on purpose. Which doesn't really happen lol.

Whenever i see queen melonia and her subject talk about melonas i always think i should go and find one to try..the commitment of one beanie - actually flying a box home! Made me think it'd better be good as it's bound to be expensive here. Maybe i'll share my Melona experience once I find it πŸ˜‚

Please do. So you can become my subject and expand the Queendom hehehehe and also because I love Melona stories :P

After Thirty But Seventeen, I've come to realise that I really like dramas where both leads are nice people.

Fox Bride Star √
Twelve Nights √
Fluttering Alert √

Heroines of Star nights aren't nice in 1st few episodes.
I see Lover Alert heroine as a surprise.

yeah but nothing is ever nice in the first episode of anything ;-)

I haven’t completed any of those dramas but sweet leads are a soft spot. They’re so mushy wushy together I love it! πŸ’•Weightlifting Fairy is another one.

I adoooore Weightlifting Fairy, but... Jung Joon-hyung wasn't particularly nice to her at the beginning. Not an outright jerk either but...

playful teasing ;)

andy!!! Watch Thirty but seventeen!!! WFKBJ is a favorite of mine... but 30/17 was recently added to this list. All sorts of cute, funny, and deep.

@justme I’ll definitely watch it. A lot of beanies love it to bitsπŸ’•

being nice is nice, ain't it? lol

Noble My Love
Because This Life is Our First
the Let's Eat series
Sensory Couple
Healer

Was the male lead nice from the beginning in Noble My Love? It's one of my favorite guilty pleasures despite being problematic.

He was a little stuck up but not a bad guy. Plus there was a dog.

I've seen all of those apart from Noble My Love.

Terius Behind Me...they are both sweet!

20th Century Boy and Girl? I don't remember if you've seen this one.

Yeah, I watched that one. Really liked it.

Watching Fox Bride and Fluttering Warning, I equally love both leads in both dramas. Now I think I have to check twelve nights.

The first episode is a bit slow - just to warn you. But stick with it!

OT week 91! Are you ready for a wedding??? A virtual one here on DB? This started as a joke, but has taken on a life of its own. Just like any good kdrama, things get taken just a step too far here on DB, but that’s how we like it! Just as real k-actors and actresses grace our presence, a mortified DB member will be wedded to her ultimate bias this weekend. You’ve seen the gorgeous wedding announcement on the fan-wall and we will kick off festivities this evening!

My week otherwise has been a real-life grind, really busy as usual this time of year. I’m kind of hoping for some bad weather to keep people at home, actually. Also, I’m organizing holiday gatherings, helping my parents buy a house (in the middle of inspections now), and trying to delegate everything as best I can. I almost got nominated for another position, with the blessing of the hubby, until I found out that meetings were during the work-day, and I would rather do a meeting at night or in the morning before work and actually work at work. We will be having a Free the Kimchi meeting tomorrow at my friend, Nene’s home. (One thing that has been delegated to someone else!) Baumdog Revenge Club is on the menu! They’re also all invited to the virtual wedding at the same time! *I think I’ve discovered the secret to being in 2 places at once!*

I watched the finale of β€œDancing High” this week, and the BEST part was Gikwang cooking for his team before their performance. He said β€œNow, I know how all mother’s feel.” The love that he showed them by cooking them a meal was beyond sweet, it was downright touching. And I’m pretty sure one of those 19-year-olds is totally in love with him. I’m hoping to catch β€œOn Your Wedding Day” with Kim Young-kwang and Park Bo-young tonight with the hubby (and to get me in the wedding spirit around here)! I’m so excited to see this one and I think it was generally well-received!

Kids had a piano competition last weekend and daughter got honorable mention with the Chinese boy in her class (who is also on the math team), so second lead, maybe?

Daughter: CB got honorable mention too!

Hubby: Really, I bet his dad was disappointed.

Daughter: Yeah, because he won the last two years in a row.

Me: Didn’t he miss 2 days of school to practice?

Daughter: No, just one day to practice and one day to rest.

Me: Wow. We’re just ecstatic that you got HM!

Daughter: And I didn’t have to miss school because of it!

Me: *Yep, I look like a kitten mom compared to that dad.

Moral of the story: Chinese boy sounds like a second lead to me, or maybe the next concert prodigy.

2nd Moral: Here’s to snow! But not too much!

3rd Moral: See you on the Beanie wall this weekend! Have a great week everyone!

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ is there a reason we have not named the mortified DB member & her hubby to be on this OT post?

:O Oh no, I thought the bride initiated it. Is this an unwanted forced marriage? O___O Anyway, I've volunteered to be the getaway driver and I'm willing to drive anyone who wants to get away...

I think she'll also want a hat and full face mask to hide her identity.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ But, but I'm helping with the wedding dress selection and all - that doesn't go with the outfit we're planning.

@mary it is not. I was there along with @bammsie & @kimbapnoona when the marriage discussions began. Witnesses to prove that the bride is fully in favour of this wedding

@waadmay - can these items be incorporated into the selection of wedding dresses you sent me?

It was Pinterest’s suggestion and we ran with it tbh. It’s been in the works since April, lol!

But I am a little mortified that this is actually happening. As if my obsession wasn’t embarrassing enough as it is.

It was supposed to happen in October. It's been pushed back long enough.πŸ˜‚

Cracked out loud reading everything about the wedding. I’ve missed out on a lot of fan wall notifs /squeals but will be cheering on the sidelines @mindy for the wedding of the century 🍰

And at some point, I took over planning this, and @waadmay has a wedding dress already picked out, but Mindy could have two ceremonies (a traditional and a modern) and two dresses! One has to be a hanbok!

*silently hiding in Mary's car boot.

Ooooh, but I need a photographer!

Which options ????
Can you please explain , I'm too lazy to read through to understand ???????

Hat and face mask for the bride's escape, I mean exit. Traditional hanboks for the bride and groom. It would also be ideal if we could work in ajumma pants for the groom at some point. Oh and guyliner! Please?

I thought about hanboks , but when I asked the bride she said she's ordinary girl and prefer simple white dresses .

Gi Kwang is amazing, talented, and just so cute! Love how he took care of his team. And their performance was amazing.

On a different note, will we be throwing rice at our β™₯ couple?

Sure! It’s virtual anyway, so no birds will be harmed!

Greetings Lovely Beanies:D
Hope November is treating you alright so far 🌨🍁
I’m still trying to survive the Drama dry spell I’m having.
At the moment I’m only watching Hundred Million Stars From The Sky and just started on Feel Good To Die.
I use kdrama to not think about how I’m fantastically failing at life and this dry spell is really relentless. My family thinks I’m yearning for a guy, but really I’m just waiting for the right drama to sweep me off my feet like Moon Lovers did.
Have a great weekend guys:D

I'm loving Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter. It makes me feel very happy, and is the first drama I've seen that has made me laugh so hard.

I agree! I'm looking forward to see new episode next week :)

Well, I don't want you good people to think that I use these open threads as my personal blog, but I've now watched Splash Splash Love, and am about half way through Healer, thanks to your great recommendations in previous weeks. Please tell me it doesn't end like Iris, which I felt finished with an unnecessarily mean-spirited gut punch, after so much emotional investment. Sigh... I guess you guys did warn me about how kdramas sometimes (usually??) end.

Just a word on Splash Splash Love. Does anyone know the thinking behind Viki's licensing of this title? Viki wouldn't let me play the show via the app on my Amazon Firestick stating not licensed for the device and/or region, but would let me play on laptop browser. In the end I had to hook my laptop up to TV to watch it so all good in the end, but was annoying to have to find a solution to a lock-out with an easy workaround. The drama was worth it though, a real inspirational and very beautiful drama in a quick 2 hour hit.

I haven't watched Iris, but from your description, I can say that Healer ends nothing like it.

I saw Iris! Healer doesn't end the same way :)

Iris is a bit special, even in Weird Dramaland Endings category.

Ah, IRIS! I have a tale about that… So, I've tried to introduce my family to Kdramas since I fell down the portal in 2016, which they staunchly resisted. Mostly because I'm often quite successful at influencing type-things and there might have been no going back to English/American programmes! (e.g. Hubby now watches drama episodes with me). But I digress.

Then the whole family came home for my birthday, and as a treat to myself, while they were busy elsewhere, I pressed play on episode one of IRIS. Soon, Son and Sister wandered in, and before they knew what hit them, started marathoning it with me. Result!

Hubby then whisked me off for a night away, and to my excitement, my captives stayed up super late, glued to the screen. I left off at episode five, I think. I rang them periodically, and they loved every episode. Barely stopped to eat and drink ….until the following afternoon, when I suddenly became the target of tirades over the last five minutes of the show and they both wanted the entire time spent on the drama back! Needless to say, I never finished IRIS, and neither has watched a Kdrama since. I wish someone had spoiled that ending for me. I should have β€˜accidentally’ rewatched Healer!

Beanies, what was your worst case of obsessing over a drama/actor/actress? I’d like to hear how it usually goes with you πŸ™ƒ

The last time I obsessed over an Oppa, I met a bunch of supportive twitter and beanie friends, terrorized turned every DB comments post into Oppa news, started a joke blog, a joke fanpage, and made a game about my obsession.

I thought I'd never get over that Oppar and was even offended when my fangirl sunbaes laughed and said I'll get used to the fangirl life and will move on to another actor soon. But they're right of course. The obsession goes away, especially if your idol keeps picking lackluster stuff. (Some people can keep watching a meh show to support their faves, but I can't T___T) Though I hide tiny homages to Oppa in plain sight. Hahaha so I guess the obsession dies down but they still take up a special place in your thoughts and deeds?

lol @mary
poor you...

Hahahaha...

Hahaha....

Ha.

I wonder.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I forgot about you 🀣🀣🀣 You took the crown @mindy

Actually I've never made a blog or a fanpage or a game so I think @mary wins this one.

But also I can't believe you forgot about me. Guess I have to push my brand even harder.

But you're getting married!

But seriously who is going to surpass you two. These are some high standards!

There was one news.. where a person got plastic surgery to look like one's bias

Hi Everyone! I hope you are all doing well today.

Huge brush fires have broken out in the area and houses are burning right now. It looks pretty bad as intense winds aren't helping the situation. I hope none of the Beanies are affected.

Sharing in everyone's excitement about our beloved Dramabeans being greeted by several kactors! What a cool feature!

Matrimonial Chaos - It was an unexpected surprise to see Lee Jong-hyuk here, but his character is interesting. I think he certainly piqued Hwi-ru's curiosity. ..... Jang-hyun, what can be said about him. He's like a yawn away from narcolepsy and between that and his disconnect with his marriage (or maybe just life in general), the man needs help. His scenes with Seok-mu continue to be hilarious though.

My Secret Terrius - Still having fun with this.

Happy To Die - Watched the first episode. Good start. I wondered for a bit how they're going to get 16 episodes from a repeating time-loop, but I guess figuring that out is part of the fun!

Player - Prosecutor Jang!!!

Room No. 9 - Haven't watched this week's episodes. I'll hopefully get to them tomorrow to catch up.

That's all for now. Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Stay safe @korfan Those fires sound treacherous

Thanks. Fortunately I'm far away from where things are happening.

The smoke from the fire has affected our air here. I can't believe my children have to experience this again. It's so sad to hear about the town of Paradise gone. Praying for the people there.

I'm behind on Matrimonial Chaos and The Player. I hope to catch up this weekend!

Have a great Friday!

Anybody else have a wish-list for Dramabeans site improvements? (Now might not be a good time to ask, but at least the first item on my list should be cheap and easy).

1: Please never enforce the 200-character limit any more than you are now.

2: Please have lots of year-end content like polls, commentaries by minions and overlords, etc.

3: If you have extra resources, fix the links in notifications that someone has liked our comments to actually point to the comment in question, not somewhere far far to the north.

Then there's my I-could-do-without-it-if-it-would-help list:

A: If expenses are rising and money is a problem, and if web-site hosting fees are an issue, then all the pictures we post must add to those fees. I could live with limitations on the number and size of pictures we can upload if that would help.

This is a subset of my wishlist... T___T

Wishlist cont:

4. The ability to edit a post or comment. I would pay to be able to cull through all my error laden comments to remove errors.

What's wrong with typos though? I'm probably just biased as a programmer. >___< But I see it a lot on twitter (demanding for edit button) even when people make a tiny mistake on their posts. I honestly think typos aren't a big deal. I think it's a bit sad that we get very worried about having imperfect writeups when the ideas are intact and fun and insightful enough. :(

Community-wise, an edit button also introduces a lot more problems when it comes to fights and misunderstandings than the problems an edit button solves (fixing typo errors).

Valid points. I will try to contain my angst over typos.

Aww thank you for understanding! I was a bit anxious about talking to much when you were honestly just wishing for an edit button. ♥

@mary, it's really difficult to maintain a whiney attitude when someone hits you with a solid and reasonable counterargument. Darn it.

Darn, your points are valid. My only argument is that typos make me feel... stupid compared to all the wonderful beanies here.

I've got advanced degrees and I still can't type a coherent sentence, with or without typos. So, you're in good company!

Nuuuu, please don't be too conscious about your typos! See, I made one in my reply to egads but y'all didn't mind. We're only harsh to ourselves. :(

We should hold a typo party sometime!

Whilst I'd appreciate an EDIT button I have long overcome my shame of typos, particularly in the comments and simply embrace them as much as possible (unless it really messes up the comprehensibility of a post). Wall posts I'm a bit more precious about but I can delete and start again if I muck those up lmao.
I'm so notorious for typos on other mediums I warn people prying to starting a conversation with me that they will happen a lot and often and I won't always fix them, to the extent that it's an in joke between me and a friend that typo is a sentient being and I'm married to him. πŸ˜‚

And to make this even better and more hilarious this comment itself has a typo in it MWAHAHAHA

the very BEST "typo" incident was when one of the DB members had issue with her (i assume) keyboard typing a bunch of Vs instead of Ws -- i was just rolling over with tears in my eyes trying to read her "adjusted" words using the letters that worked...

omg -- no fixing those, it was a total riot!!

pogo! It was epic :)

Truly iconic. And hilarious.
@pogo1 where are you~!

Problem is when this happens

the point that i forgot to or was too much in a hurry to press SEND.

5 - Crazy bots on beanies wall. Can't they go away?

Can we get a volunteer Beanie with a bot-swatter? I bet there would be a lot of volunteers.

But I'm still attached to some of the names...

I also find some of them quite entertaining.

With DB getting superstar shout-outs, the bots are also on another level now - some of their description are sounding quite smart these days.

I'd like to have the notifications for mentions not disappear when I click "See all notifications." If I get a lot of notifications or multiple mentions at once, they can disappear before I click on them (honestly, this doesn't happen very often though).

As an extension of #3:
There are several glitches in the notifications that I'd like fixed if possible too. Double alerts when someone replies to a comment that is also on your wall post, tagging notifications getting lost after the first initial drop down page.

They also had a DM feature for a moment in one of the maintenance days that was semi working... dms would be fun. (I wasn't supposed to see that but I did)

And although this might overload the site I'm not sure, I'd love a way comments I've made on other people's walls than I've forgotten about. But that's not that important lol.

Direct messaging would be really nice. But if DB can't or won't do it, would it make sense to roll our own with some other messaging software??? Kakao talk maybe? At least that would fit with our Korean theme.

I actually have a ktalk! Lol.
I think lots of us have resorted to other forms of messaging in the meantime already actually.
There is ofc rabbit, but I know a few who have chats on other mediums (including myself); whatsapp, telegram, google hangouts etc.
These days it is a case of having too many options.

I'm not sure this is a real wish or not, I see pluses and minuses, and it sounds like a project that could break the system, but . . . the ability to be actually "following" the people we follow?

The teaser trailer for Kingdom released a few days ago and it looks super scary and good!

I had mentioned before that i want contest mayor election in future.
So i do keep Politics and political news in my top list.
The chair of Mayor is safe position to enter the national politics. And i'm no way near to even compete against the whealthy and well known and well connected candidates. Not even corruption scandals against them can raise my stock unless i win the hope of people.

This week we had USA Midterms. This was midterm of new and 1st.

From the results clear that it was more rejection of republican views than Anti-Trump vote. Democrats kept the game pretty simple and republicans have themselves to blame for this loss.
Still, Republicans were able to hold much of their base which makes things not so easy for democrats.
Republicans in-fight helped democrats. Seriously republicans are the fools. Trump has very secured voterbase. He will fight for 2nd term but these opportunities won't arrive for many others.

Happy Friday all! We had so many good dramas in 2018! I'm incredibly satisfied. Which dramas have you completed/loved this year?

Dramas I finished:
1. My Ahjusshi
2. Life on Mars
3. Hand: The Guest
4. To.Jenny (drama special)
5. Live
6. A Poem a Day (this I enjoyed thanks to Beanies)

Bonus: older drama I watched this year thanks to Beanie recs.
7. White Christmas

Much happiness!!

Let’s see. Including dramas that began in 2017 but ended in 2018, in order of when I completed them:

-Prison Playbook*
-I’m Not a Robot*
-Just Between Lovers*
-Woohoo Waikiki*
-Mother*
-A Poem a Day
-My Ajusshi*
-Are You Human Too?

Ones from previous years I completed this year:
-Chief Kim
-Circle*
-Dal-ja’s Spring*
-Lingerie Girls’ Generation*
-Go Back Spouses*
-The Best Hit
-My Only Love Song
-Rescue Me
-1% of Anything

* = added to my β€œFavorite Shows” list!!!

And I am realizing that practially all of these are from the beginning half of this year. I haven’t finished a single drama since AYHT ended. :( My slump is so bad.

This is such an awesome list mindy! From your 2017 list, GG1979 was my absolute favorite. What a gem.

But your drama slump has listed quite a while now? Watching any variety or anything?

I loved that show so so much! Jung-hee is one of my favorite kdrama heroines. I love how flawed she is.

Nope. I don’t like variety. I’ve been surviving by watching US TV like The Good Place and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and rewatching my favorites with every on Rabbit, hahaha.

I gravitated towards the drama/thrillers/suspense and these were my favorites this year. I watched some romcoms but I wasn't obsessed with any of them.

Just Between Lovers
Come and Hug Me
Life on Mars
Live
Misty
Mother
Mr. Sunshine
My Mister
Prison Playbook
To.Jenny

*high fives* on the relatively similar list. On rom coms, I do think To.Jenny was the winner this year. It was short, but veryu moving.

This year I didn’t finish many dramas. The ones I finished or plan to finish, are:
What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim
Are You Human Too?
Just Between Lovers
Thirty But Seventeen (plan to finish)

I left out the currently airing ones, but I feel that the second half of 2018 is a lot better than the first half (so far)

1. Prison Playbook
2. Live
3. To. Jenny
4. A Poem a Day
5. Fuyao
6. What's Wrong With Secretary Kim?
7. Thirty but Seventeen
8. Let's Eat 3
9. Radio Romance
10. Almost finished with Mr. Sunshine (lacking 6 episodes)

Then the hiatus started. No dramas x 3 months. But White Christmas! What a gem!

I forgot β€œPretty Noona Who Buys Me Food.” I technically finished this one, but skipped 6 episodes in the middle there, 10-15. Does that count? And the cdrama β€œA Love So Beautiful!” That was lovely!

Starred dramas are older dramas that didn't air in the last year.

Started in 2017, Ended 2018
1. I Am Not A Robot
2. One More Happy ending*

Started 2018 and Finished
3. Drinking Solo*
4. Love For 1000 More (Mini drama) *
5. Hwayugi: A Korean Odyseey
6. We Broke Up (mini drama) *
7. You're All Surrounded *
8. A Poem A Day
9. Imaginary Cat *
10. You Drive Me Crazy (drama special)
11. Lawless Lawyer

17. Hundred Million Stars
18. Witch's Romance*
19. Fox Bride Star

Want to Finish by the End of the Year:
20. Suspicious Partner *
21. TLAHL *

Oh, man, I forgot Hwayugi too. And I saw Imaginary Cat this year as well. SHOOT! I watched way more than I thought I did.

More beans! Yay!!
(This is why I keep an ongoing, constantly updated word document of what dramas I watch and when heheh)

I do not want to list all the dramas I have watched over the course of this year, because I fear knowing the true number will be as horrifyingly revealing as the time I tried to keep track of how much I spend on books in a year.*

*I stopped tracking mid-February. Nobody needed to know that truth.

you can't just say that and... NOT SHARE... or do we have to wait till the bean count haha

I cannot share what I refuse to reveal even to myself.

Ahh my curiosity will have to be left unsatiated then alas.

I am watching:

The Smile Has Left Your Eyes: My fave airing show so far. I'm preparing myself for the fallout that I hope won't happen... MY/JK need to end up together! :(

Where Stars Land: I haven't watched ep 11 yet, but I really hope that YR's secret isn't simply that she is an orphan (that would make her a drama queen, the way she almost fell to blackmail over this non-issue). I would understand being sensitive about that as a teenager, because other teenagers bullied her. But as adults, it doesn't hold water. So I hope that it is a more compelling and realistic secret.

Feel Good to Die: I hope this will be added to the "master recap list", even if it isn't recapped her, just so that if it turns out good till the end, I can add it to "my shows" list, where I put my favorites and the ones I'm following.

I checked out 12 Nights: The first half of the first episode was cringey... I guess I will put it on hold for now, and then pick it up again when I have nothing else to watch.

"..hope that YR's secret isn't simply that she is an orphan (that would make her a drama queen, the way she almost fell to blackmail over this non-issue)..".

You obviously have not watched many k-dramas. In k-dramas every other hero/heroine is an orphan, often both of them. If you use statistics gained from k-dramas, then 37% of all Koreans are orphans. The rest are rude chaebol sons.

Lol

Hahaha!

Twelve Nights had the misfortune of a not great 1st episode. It just got better after ep 2.

Hi @larelle79 and glad to hear it. I am about to begin TWELVE NIGHTS.
This week I discovered that episode 1 was filmed in New York City Here's how I found out:
I was in our own beanie @Mich's wonderful site KOREAN DRAMALAND
checking out a location from THE THIRD CHARM when I noticed on the bottom of the page a link to the Tick Tock Diner in NYC. When I clicked on the link for TWELVE NIGHTS I was shocked to see that one of my neighborhood subway stops in Queens where I live was used in the drama:
This is too close for home so I have to check it out.

Thanks for the heads-up, I guess I will give it a second chance.

Hi everyone! I hope the week has treated you well so far. I've got a big paper to write that's due next week and I'm finding it so hard to get it done :( I wish I could fast forward to Christmas!

Is anyone else feeling a supreme lack of motivation for all things school/work? ((I hope not))

Have a great weekend!

Happy Friday Beanies! It's my bday this weekend and I will spend it watching kdramas :)

100 Days My Prince I binge watched 14 episodes of this in a couple days (and then finished the last 2 once they released). It was a cute show but nothing overly memorable and I thought the ending was a bit poorly done. The last minute noble idiot annoyed me. I just wanted tons of cuteness in the last episode after the drama of the previous ones.

Terrius Behind Me I'm watching this drama with my mom and brother and we are really loving it. I love the idea of this big bad super secret spy being this fish-out-of-water babysitter. And he is so adorable with the kids. And even though I don't like kids I can't help but love the kids in this drama. Some of the situations and things are unrealistic but for a fluffy rom-com I'm loving it. I am even loving the kinda-bad-guy kinda-good-guy Jin Yong-Tae. I am so glad Jung In-Sun is a smart heroine and I'm loving her fellow housemothers and housedad and how they stumble onto this conspiracy is a hoot. Overall it's not a deep drama by any means but it definitely is an entertaining watch.

Lawless Layer I only have 2 episodes left in this and have been enjoying it. I love Ha Jae-Yi and how kick-ass she is. She is the perfect partner to Bong Sang-Pil and the chemistry between them is crackling. They make a perfect team in both the law and romance. Lots of people love Lee Joon-Gi but I personally don't really care for him, I think he has a tendency to overact, but he has been doing a good job in this drama as the suave and confident lawyer. I've liked Seo Ye-Ji since Save Me and she is fast becoming a favorite of mine.

Along with the ones I've fully invested in a tried a couple of others out.

The Guest Watched 2 episodes of this. A little gorier then I prefer but it seems like it will be a well-done horror drama. All the actors were doing an excellent job.

Fox Bride Star Also watched 2 episodes of this. I think I'll really like this and this will be the drama me, my mom and brother watch next. I also love both actors. Some people have said they didn't like her character but I personally don't mind her.

Go Back Couple About 1-1/2 episodes in but looks like it will be cute. It's a bit embarrassing how these old souls are trying to act like they are 20. I had never seen Son Ho-Jun in anything until Terrius and now this and can't believe I've not seen him in anything before these dramas (I had no idea he was in this but was pleasantly surprised). He's an excellent actor and hope he gets more work in the future.

Happy Birthday in advance! @trinpie

Thank you!

Have a wonderful birthday!

I did have one thank you!

Happy Birthday to You, @trinpie!

Hello Beanies!πŸ‘‹πŸΏπŸ‘‹πŸΏπŸ‘‹πŸΏπŸ‘‹πŸΏπŸ‘‹πŸΏπŸ‘‹πŸΏ.
Currently watching:

Fluttering Warning: I wish this show was written better and the secondary actors were better at acting, but I'm still pressing on because it's been so long since Yoon Eun-hye has been in anything and I've missed her.

Fox Bride Star: I love this show so much. I don't think I remember any show where I've loved and rooted for 99% of the characters. I even want the frenemies to work things out and become grudging comrades. In-woo can go to hell though.

The Tale of the Fairy and the Woodcutter: This show is weird and confusing to watch but Go Doo-shim is adorable in this so I'm willing to continue giving it a chance.

The Good Place: Bortles!

Dropped:

The Guest: This show got somewhat tedious to watch for me around episode 14. I didn't bother watching the last two episodes and just read the recap of episode 16, it doesn't seem like I missed anything by skipping one episode.

The Haunting of Hill House: I wanted to like this show but after two episodes I just couldn't do it anymore.

Hundreds of Stars Falling From The Sky: I couldn't even get through the first episode.

Forgot to add in currently watching:

Feel Good To Die: Hilarious! A bit morbid but totally hilarious.

TGIF! Ready for long weekend (for some of beanies)? I am grateful for one more day because I have many! dramas to catch up (and new dramas keep coming). There were more interviews with casts from 100 Days My Prince. (btw I said it wrong - Nam Ji-hyun has her first fan meet this month) Here is one from Kim Seon-ho (34)'s who played magistrate Je-yoon in the show. He did dramas only for last 2 years, but he made his presence known already. Just for this year he appeared in You Drive Me Crazy, Your House Helper, and 100 Days My Prince. His first drama was Chief Kim in 2017. Per wiki, Kim has graduated from Seoul Institute of the Arts and debuted with the play "New Boeing, Boeing" in 2009.

Following interviews were done in Feb. this year (before 100DMY). I had to cut some because they were just too long.
[BisEnter] As he filmed "Strongest Deliveryman" Kim said he thought "I might have saved a village in my past life." As he filmed "Two cops" Kim felt he might have saved a country in his past life, because he acted with his sunbae Jo Jung-seok he respected. Kim said everyone was envious of him. He worked on dramas continuously but what made him happy was not the size of roles. He was happy at the fact he was able to work with Jo Jung-seok, Park Hoon, Oh Eui-sik sunbae he admired. "I was so happy. I felt I found a way that I can grow more, and can become better actor."

When Kim was young, he was introvert like his mother, he said. He witnessed robbery in the house when he was in the elementary school and developed trauma which made him not to be able to deal with when noticed by other people. But one time he went to an acting school, following a friend who did vocal in the band club and he found it fun which helped to change/overcome his personality and fear. "I acted because they (in acting school) said "Just try.". I am sure I did terrible. But speaking a line is an act adding what you want to say on the script written by someone else. I felt I could breathe. I realized the way people saw me, giving advice could be warm."

After he debuted and had a fan first time, Kim said he was happy thinking "Wow, I have a fan too?" but that amazing feeling lasted only for a month. "I am immature so I don't dream I can be famous, but I fell for the task in acting finding myself making progress." He said He can't avoid changes, but there is something he doesn't want to lose, and that is modesty.
"My mother used to say "If you make lots of money you have to help people in difficulties and be always humble." I always think I am a lacking person. With that idea there is room for making improvement." His mother was the person who helped his tuition saying "I've lived without having a dream. But since you say acting is your dream, I won't stop you.".
Kim said he only reached up to other's level now. His first memory in his life was "Mother catching a mouse in half-basement house." His family was poor but he didn't have...

...complaint. "I couldn't understand my family's bad (financial) situation because I felt it was improving. I was really happy because my parents raised me well not showing their difficulties at all." According to him his parents live in a "Nice house with 3 bedroom and 2 baths" now, and he feels proud and affectionate toward his parents. Kim said he was paying more attention to work-out and keeping in shape. It was thanks to his salaryman friend who told him, "It is not everything if a salaryman just does his tasks well, and you have to make "taking care of yourself" part of you." Kim said he felt dizzy hearing that and even started to visit dermatologists he's avoided out of embarrassment.

Here is question and answer session.[CBS no-cut news]
Q: Were you a boy who dreamt about acting when you were in school?
Kim: No. I followed my friend to an acting school when I was senior in high school. He quit but I continued. It was fun to learn how to hide you and portray a character looking like real with an acting. I also had fun finding my problem, my living habit, and how I lived as a person "Me".
Q: You got recognition by keep doing dramas for last two years. Anything changed?
Kim: Some people acknowledge me. They must've seen me on the TV. They smile at me. At first I didn't know what to do, and nodded thinking "Are they smiling at me?" but these days I got more relaxed and smile back to them. Not long ago I went to a bakery close to my house to buy a bread like always wearing my shoes rumpled, but as soon as I opened the door, they greeted me saying "Oh you came~". Also not long ago when I went to a cafe the owner didn't let me pay- Because her husband was my fan.
Q: Filming set safety and labor condition are big issue recently.
Kim: I heard when certain director-nim went to film overseas people worked only until 6 pm. But we don't do that. I heard with "How can you work on such schedule" all overseas team left later. It is normal for us to do shoots with tight schedule. I think it will get better.
Q: What do you do when you have a break?
Kim: Work-out. I want to travel too. I think that is important. These days I notice how happy I feel to meet people and talk. I miss small talk while drinking coffee. I love coffee so I sit in a cafe in Daehak-ro for hours. I like talking and taking a walk very much. I think I reflect on myself doing it.
Q: You introduced yourself as "Ordinary actor" in a past interview.
Kim: There is something like "He looks like an actor.", you see. Actually when you see an actor, there is some aura and you wonder how he looks like that. I don't know if I have that aura someday, but I think I am an actor you can meet easily on the street. My acting direction hasn't changed. When acting, looking cool is necessary, but I wonder if I can really say/act like that if it is real situation. I want to make a common choice if possible. I want to stay close to the viewers. I'd like to be...

an actor who can shine and touch people even when I choose a very common role. I think the word "Ordinary actor" contains everything- Personality or acting-wise. I want to be a good actor who I think is an actor when actors, director-nims and staffs can say "I want to work with him.".

Continues...

Continuing with Kim Seon-ho's interview. This one was done recently.[Star news,CBS no-cut news]
Q: You've lived for 100 Days My Prince for about 7 months.
Kim: When broadcast ended, I felt sad because we always spent time together while filming. We also watched the show airing together several times. In the wrap-up party as doing the last greetings, I said "We don't have get-together anymore? No more meet?" I felt sad and disappointed that we couldn't play together any more.

Q: Why you chose this project?
Kim: I joined late. Director-nim(Lee Jong-jae) said he thought of me first when he got the scripts. But I said I needed to take a rest because I didn't have energy to do another project. But I was contacted again. I haven't done a sageuk. Saguek is hard, you see. Speaking tone etc. I worried a lot. But I decided one day before the script reading. I thought it would be new experience for me. Sunbae-nim around me advised that since Saguek doesn't have same speaking tone (as modern shows), once you do it, you get to express your emotions more clearly, and acting spectrum can be widened. Second reason was that Jo Jung-seok (from Two Cops) whom I adore said Kyung-soo's personality was very good. People were so nice, you know. (Kim)Gi-doo hyung, Jo Hyung-sik hyung -I met them in "Chief Kim". I think I have to do a project with the people I like if I don't want to get tired while working on a project. Jo Sung-ha sunbae-nim never once frowned when he had shoots until late at night. He bought us ice cream a lot saying "I do a project to buy you guys treats."

Q: What did you feel doing Saguek for the first time?
Kim: Before we started filming Ji-hyun said I would feel satisfied once I do a sageuk and costume is very pretty. Everyone said "It is funnier than you think." I can't watch a drama objectively, so I liked people gave such response. My parents liked it too. My mother loved my pink Hanbok. I have to admit- I felt strange with Saguek tone. People in the palace spoke in standard Saguek tone, and people in Songjoo village spoke Saturi, but I didn't have any clear tone between them. I acted according to my circumstances.
Q: It must've taken some time to get used to Saguek costume.
Kim: DoPo(outwear) was uncomfortable. When I put my hair up, my eye brow kept going up following it. I was busy to pull my eye brow down.
Q: You had to show various tones which was not too heavy but not too light.
Kim: There were parts I felt lacking. I joined late so I worried if I could digest the character well. I wondered if I was fit to my character, and how it would come out if another actor acted my character.
Q: You were "brain man" in the show. How are you for real?
Kim: I am the type who does not like boring or dark atmosphere. Even on the set if someone looks having hard time, I try to say something. So I talk some silly talk. I think I am "Too Much Talker/TMT", and reflect/regret after throwing the words first...

...I am a type who get exhausted after talking too much. But when working I stay quiet and memorize my lines staying in the corner alone. I try not to get exhausted at least during filming.

Q: Jung Jae-yoon was a person who couldn't get promotion because he was born as son of concubine. And he had "Face blindness". It must not be easy to act.
Kim: It came out well after editing because it was a broadcast. I worked on gaze part. I said I recognized people by their outfits or voice tones. I tried to act according to that, but I am not sure it worked well. Je-yoon didn't even recognize Yul due to his illness. But there must've been time viewers thought "What? He recognized him too quickly." I didn't have time (to resolve my Face-blindness issue) because they couldn't afford to give me the amount of time needed. I tried within what I was given.
Q: You did the stuff you didn't need to do, so people gave you the nick "Jung-gooddi"(insisted doing), are you the type to be meddlesome like that?
Kim: No. The word "Jung-gooddi" was so funny. You do something you don't have to do... I myself murmured "Jae-yoon ah, please don't do anything." reading the scripts. We did SongJoo village filming in Moonkyung, and the distance to Seoul was pretty far. I watched saying "Don't go Songjoo-hyun if you going to do that.", "You go to Hanyang again when you were in SongJoo-hyun?". He was very "Jung-ggoodi", different from me. I am the type trying to solve the problem in one place if possible.
Q: You had face blindness, but you fell for Hong-sim at first sight. What part of her you think you liked?
Kim: Face blindness is illness, yet he recognized Hong-sim. So I thought- maybe she resembles to someone he misses. His mother and father were passed away. I guessed she resembled only face he remembered and knew, and I thought that was his mother. When I thought that, it made sense and was easier to act. I can act only when I can reason certain setting and persuaded. The image of Hong-sim to me was easy-going. She was modern woman who was honest and brave. Since Je-yoon was open-minded, maybe he was attracted to her such image? Hong-shim's charm? Saying she doesn't like when she doesn't like? Even though Je-yoon was not low-rank, Hong-shim was not intimidated and sincere. Je-yoon was no coward either. I think he thought "Oh, she resembles me" looking at her.

Q:Eventually Yul and Hong-shim had happy ending. It was closed ending. Were you disappointed?
Kim: Well, if my ending was good, it wouldn't be good for Yul. While there were much talk, I liked it because it had happy ending. I thought it fits to the drama well. One sad thing is that I kept thinking "Je-yoon must've met a good woman."
Q: Je-yoon was a figure who felt conflicted between prince Yul and love Hong-shim. How was it working with those two?
Kim: They have wonderful personality. I was moved by Kyung-soo. We might have prejudice with idol. But he approached and...

...and talked to me first and listened to my concern, so he was such grateful dongsaeng. Ji-hyun was the person who was never frown whether it was 3, 4 or 5 in the morning, so I didn't have to worry about team work.
Q: I heard actors went to EXO concert?
Kim: We tried to find a seat in a cafe nearby, but there was none within 2km range. I heard all neighborhoods had (EXO's) "Growl" turned on. Watching that, we said "Our drama wouldn't fail!", "Look, everybody came to see the concert."
Q: What was the scene you were impressed or liked while filming?
Kim: I feel there is no scene I felt satisfied. But there was a scene I laughed feeling happy. That was the scene Songjoo village people came to Je-yoon's house in Hanyang. People already sat occupying their spot without saying anything to me beforehand. Looking at it suddenly I felt so happy and joy. I was happy working with them.

Q: I heard the set atmosphere was good.
Kim: There was no bad person. Well, everyone listened others' stories and enjoyed laughing so I liked it very much. Living in hanbok in our quarters together without going home, I felt like we were playing, having fun. Everybody's personality was good in addition to their good acting. I heard Jo Sung-ha sunbae-nim was nice from other team already. He always told us to cheer up and said "You are the main of this drama." giving strength. He was such gentleman that I felt I wanted to be like him when I become a sunbae. I was most impressed with Jung Hae-kyun sunbae-nim who played Hong-shim's father. During a break he seemed to be trembling, so I asked and he said because he was nervous. I was shocked when he said "Nervous when filming. I am." Because it didn't show when he acted. There were times we had to film only two days after receiving scripts, and he worried if his acting might hurt the show. He always came prepared. Sunbae-nim said it was because his part was small, but no, He really prepared a lot before he came. He was really humble and had lots I could learn from. He said gently when he talked about his ideas. One time there was an item out of place on the set, and he asked "I might say this because I don't know much, but this shouldn't be here, should it?" I thought I have to learn such attitude from sunbae-nims.
Q: I heard Lee Jun-hyuk who played Town official Park was so funny.
Kim: I said I almost threw up from laughing. Staffs also said they really respected him. They said they were grateful from staff's point of view that a person who was senior did acting happily and led such atmosphere.
Q: Lee Min-ji(kkeut Nyo) said "Seon-ho oppa has some silliness", do you?
Kim: I have silliness. Whenever there is a drinking occasion, I get drunk fast and run away, in 2-3 hours. I am just playful oppa. Actually Min-ji and Ji-hyun were very understanding like noona.

...Q: Last ratings in finale were 14.1%.
Kim: I didn't expect that rating. But I liked ever since it had 5% in the first episode. We went to Kyung-soo(EXO) concert. Watching so many fans in cafes around the area I joked "Our drama won't fail.". As I watch ratings climbing, I thought I worked with good actors. I couldn't even believe 5% at first. Everybody asked what the secret was. Of course Kyung-soo and Ji-hyun's acting were good, but I think people in the palace and Songjoo-hyun portrayed their roles perfectly.

Q: Did you check the viewers' responses during broadcast?
Kim: I checked the talk in portal real time. It was fun. "What's wrong with magistrate?", "Work, rather than spouting non-sense", "Ah, Here he comes, the story will be sweet potato (=frustrating)." -these things. The image of Magistrate became strong. Wherever, whenever people recognize me they say "Right, Magistrate?" and then ask my name. My parents enjoyed very much. They complemented Kyung-soo and Ji-hyun a lot. The owner of a restaurant I frequent said he was Goo-dol (Kim Gi-doo)'s fan. As various age groups liked the show, their favorite charactgers were also different, seemed like. Hanbok, scenery were pretty and it was really happy drama.
Q: When more people recognize you it will be hard to live as "natural(common) man" like before.
Kim: I still ride the subway. I still go to the restaurant alone. They just greet me. If the time comes when I feel uncomfortable because they recognize me too much, I will worry that time. For now I am just grateful and happy when people recognize me. "Ah, Are you that person?", "I am having so much fun watching." they usually say that so I am still ok.

Q:What was the reason 100DMP was loved you think?
Kim: Kyung-soo and Ji-hyun digested their roles well. I think drama wouldn't feel complete if leads can't portray well. I didn't know while filming but Jo Sung-ha sunbae-nim was scary when I watched the drama because he was so friendly on the set. Songjoo village people were so entertaining. Everyone digested their roles very well.
Q: The drama was popular with middle-ages too. What do you think is the reason?
Kim: I think grown-ups like Saguek. More important thing is that the show was able to approach the viewers more easily, because it focused on the life of villagers in that time period rather than typical Saguek's historical plot. The reason people get married in a village is because there is no rain- such topic seemed a witty approach. I heard the show was shown in the neighborhood jjimjilbang a lot.

...Q: You did the drama special "You drive me crazy" with Lee Yoo-young. Viewers' response was good.
Kim: I still feel grateful to director-nim. "You drive me crazy" had a typical and easily found plot. Although there were lacking parts in acting, it was the project I did worry about something realistic. When there is a moment someone has to decide, what decision do you make? I still get emotional when I think of Rae-wan. In episode 2, I lived as Rae-wan. I was happy because I felt I finally met RW. I am thankful for director-nim and writer-nim who gave me the role. I was happy viewers liked it. I thought "I knew it! Even if we talk about something relatable to us like this there are people loving such stuff".
Q: You also played an immature Chaebol in "Deliveryman". You seem to be a person "He is not the person who is completely evil." even though you play a villain role.
Kim: I think there is no one without own story. Pure evil only exists in psychopath with mental problem? A person can be selfish and bad to someone, but I think he has reasons for that. Maybe because I believe there is always a motive/cause, I look into the character's inside first when I receive a script. And then I build the character. If there is no "Why he does that", I find the character changes every time.

Q: You were second male lead in most of past projects. Don't you have desire for the main now?
Kim: It would be nice if I look cool as the lead. But I think joining the project itself is already nice if people and project are good. I want to have main lead experience, but how I have fun is more important than the extent and amount of the role. Actually I have never dreamt of playing the lead. I feel I don't deserve.
Q: Don't you miss a stage play you debuted with?
Kim: I'd like to do a play if an opportunity is given. I still walk listening to the music we had when I did the play. I have expectation that me who is a lacking actor can grow and fill lacking area doing a play. With dramas many times you do the project in hurry, but with a play with more time I can use myself to build the character better. And I like the fact I spend more time with people.

He sounds like a nice guy. KSH fighting!

i really like how he approach his characters:) i've liked him since Chief Kim, followed by Strongest Deliveryman, but personal fave would be You Drive Me Crazy!

again, the interview is much appreciated!!!

Thanks for the translations, @fanwhoπŸ’–πŸŒΊ

Thanks @fanwho !

Thank you for the translation!

He's 34?? I thought he's a lot younger, maybe 26-27.

It's Friday I'm in love (with Terius Behind Me). Have a great weekend of kdramas all! I'm going to be trying to stay up to watch ice skating (the NHK Trophy in Japan is killing me).

did you watch last weekend's Helsinsky skating? such a joy to watch Yuzuru, tho i thought he looked fatigued...

This is weird- I clicked on REPLY to continue, but it created new comment - well, life is never perfect :(

I really hope you are right. I will just go with the flow.

This was REPLY on wapz comment in comment #1 above. I give up- I will just do lurking/checking comments.

I found you so no problem 😊

All out happy dancing. Finally watching My Girlfriend Is A Gumiho. Only took 8 years to find a legal copy. I know Netflix has it detractors but for a K-drama fan in South Africa, it has been a godsend. And Misty dropped yesterday. My to-watch queue brings such happiness.

Happy Fridays to most Beanies and Happy Saturday to some Beanies!

I'm on a road trip atm and a little over too late but got too much time (after found some good food) to check on some of the current kdramas..

i watched Mama Fairy ep. 1 for the first half but the storyline wasnt getting any better. I totally stopped when i get to the part where the granny discussed "urine stream" sound whatever it is i dont wannna know but it gross! Dont decide yet whether i drop it or not. Maybe i shouldnt watch during eating.

Atm i watch Terius, Players and Twelve Nights only.