Open Thread #578

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Happy OT Everyone.
I think I'm something of an emotional wreck today. There were already personal issues impinging, that I didn't have control over and didn't know what to do about, causing emotional stress, then I watched The Smile Has Left Your Eyes Ep 14 - good grief!!! I'm emotionally overwrought now.

I still feel the heat in my eyes as if at any moment the tears are going to burst the dam. I probably just need to have those good cries, and then carry on.

About The Smile… - I'm amazed to recall that just 3 weeks or so ago, we were still saying that Moo Young was this unconscionable, ruthless game player who did not feel emotions and therefore did not care that others suffered or even died. He was sort of a 'bad guy'. How the tables have turned!!!

With Jin Kang's influence, Moo Young shows himself to be capable of being a better man. With Jin Gook's culpability and guilt, Moo Young evinced a whole lot of emotions, that he may not ever have felt before: loss, rage, shock, horror repulsion, regret, guilt, resentment, hope and loss of hope. He moved from being perpetrator to victim in my eyes. A poor, powerless, unwitting victim. From being wary of MY, I had moved on to rooting for him, then to feeling a great sense of injustice that MY had suffered and was still to suffer in the future.

By the end of Ep 14, I was crying for all 3 characters, but especially for MY. Watching the emotions play out in our 3 protagonists, I was getting a bit traumatised myself! What a change from the attitude with which I approached the characters before.

This show should put into perspective my own personal issues. I should have a hearty cry and then realise that compared to these fictional characters, I actually have it pretty good. Still does not really make me feel better though.

This is a far cry from how upbeat I felt at the end of The Guest, over another character that also suffered so long. At least it ended with hope. It sounds crazy, but maybe I ought to go watch some exorcisms to make me feel better!!!

[slight spoiler below] The Smile Has Left Your Eyes has seriously been an experience for me, no show since Scarlet Heart has really been able to turn me into such an emotional wreck. The show is so well done, I'm usually very analytical of shows and am able to figure out how the plot is going but I honestly can't figure out what's going on in this show and I love it. My heart hurts for all the main characters and I just want them to be happy. I'm very nervous since I haven't seen the Japanese version and all this hinting at them being siblings is seriously causing me anxiety. I'm so excited for next week's eps.

not real sibling - his mother adopted her, right?

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

The reference is not to Jin Gook and Jin Kang, the latter whom Jin Gook's mum adopted, but to Moo Yeong and Jin Kang.

The way the backstory suggests it is that MY had a sibling, a sister whom he forgot. They were separated and brought up in different places with different names. They have met in adulthood ... they end up clicking very well ... and so the anxiety rises!

the question is whether Jin-kang is adopted. The mom ran away with one child but the show didn't specify who.

@shittyhunter
I'm not too clear about whose mum you're referring to. Jin Kang, if she is the sister of Moo Young was adopted by Jin Gook's mum, as her own mum had been killed. Jin Gook and Tak also spoke of Jin Kang as the adopted child.

Or If they want to make it different - The man who was killed by MY's father was Jin Kang's father and they were all close.
Can't wait for next week. Do I need to watch this over Thanksgiving dinner?

(Not sure if I'm addressing the correct 'fan' as there are several 'fan' monikers and not all registered or with an icon to help me recognise whom is whom.) 😅

So the alternate ending that will not end with incest is that Jin Kang is another family's child who happens to be playing with Moo Young (in that isolated house in the forest though!!! Not so likely). Both get scalded and scarred by the same source of boiling water.

However Moo Young actually has another sibling, also a sister who did not happen to be there? Well... if we cannot assume that Jin Kang is the sister, then that will be fine. It's unlikely however. And then that leaves the question: what happened to the real sister.

It's going to be distracting being Thankful at Thanksgiving with thoughts of The Smile/100 Million Stars, isn't it!

"With Jin Kang's influence, Moo Young shows himself to be capable of being a better man." So he's not a sociopath at all, but his childhood experiences left him traumatized and all his life he's been "waiting" for someone to save him by true love?

@bernadett I'm wondering about this part too. I would love for the show to make this clear, but I'm guessing that's not likely.

MY himself seems to think that the reason he's the way he is, is because of the trauma of witnessing the shooting and becoming a missing child. Dr Yang seemed to think that he needed to get away in order to not be trapped by his circumstances. By that, I think he meant that if Moo Young had grown up as Kang Sun Ho, he would forever bear the stigma of being the son of the man who had killed his own wife and others - a murderer. But as a missing child, he might have a different future.

Still it was wrong of the Dr to just let a young child walk out of the hospital, without his memory. In the process he lost his sister without realising it.

Whether that trauma led to his being stunted in his emotional development I guess is possible. I don't however think he was 'waiting' for someone to save him. However when he allowed himself to be vulnerable to Jin Kang, his emotional development may have 'restarted' somewhat? At least we see now that he could feel a whole lot of emotions, but whether that translates to being able to empathise with others, is not clear.

He retains the game-player attitude and is still ruthless, with his own moral code. And he has sold himself to CEO Jang ... so he will have to play her game(s) as well. They are not likely to be innocent games either. So is he redeemed or not? 😏 😃

So is he redeemed or not? He isn't looking for any redemption, so, guess not. He is capable of loving someone but that doesn't turn him into a good person and like you said, we don't even know if he is capable of empathy.
Nothing much changed in MY for me, he remains fascinating but unlikable. The idea the doctor would let a child go and get lost from his sister and his past is totally absurd, it's this kind of thing that has turned the last third of this show to be so inferior. Anyway I hope it manages to have a good ending and by good I mean greek epic stuff.
Anyway, on a personal level I hope everything turns out to get better really soon.

Thanks my dear @lixie life is a matter of rolling with the falls and riding the swells. Each roll can take a lifetime!

I think it's only the audience (and Jin Kang) who are interested in any kind of redemption for MY. More likely he will bring JK down with him, but again, the tragedy is that it could have been prevented.

I must ask those who read/saw the original if the doctor was really 'like that'.

@growingbeautifully The doc didn’t exist in the original. I believe his creation was to smooth out some wrinkles in the original. Like, we don’t know why Ryo got lost. Ryo and the detective keep talking to each other and almost tell each other their life story but somehow they still got so far as to trying to kill each other, so that didn’t make too much sense. The doc is both an information medium AND a barrier. He gets what is needed to be known either to MY or JinKook, but doesn’t share everything to keep the grudges and mystery alive.

@lixie I wonder if the doc knows he has a sister? Seems like his only reason to let MooYoung wander off is so he doesn’t face his own personal experiences. I’m not sure if that’s considered selfish or kind, I’m not sure what to think of him besides YOU IDIOT! And again we have no saints. Nobody is doing anyone good out of pure kindness. I guess the world can be so.

@geliguolu sph_7 Thanks so much! I was hoping you'd read our comments and reply to us!! 😂

So the Dr is a new character and we don't know if he knew MY had a sister (I'm thinking he did not). I had hoped and maybe still do, that the Dr would turn out to be someone who'd really be able to talk sense to MY and help him. It was hopeful already that MY kept turning up at his doorstep when he was in need of help.

I'm not sure if beyond the normal help he could give, the Dr deliberately held back too much info. He does not seem to have researched much info about MY's family if all he went on were rumours among the nurses.

Still as an added character, I'd like that show gives him more to do and possibly in saving someone or other (if not specifically MY).

@growingbeautifully I’d be happy if the doc doesn’t accidentally kill someone (it’s just that kind of drama😅) so I’m not holding my breath for him to save anyone. Right now I don’t think he’s withholding anymore info, he just didn’t have much knowledge of MY to begin with. This show has been fooling us to think the characters know a lot of things, and then you find out PSYCH! they knew very little. Just like the rich lady said, “you really don’t know all the important stuff” argh..😤

@geliguolu
I think he had to know, it was a famous situation. I think it was a wrong addition to the story because his actions don't seem possible. I don't mind characters being stupid or mean as long as it is believable, this case is not.

@lixie I think with or without the doc, MY must wander off. He’s merely there to witness it. The greater purpose of his creation may come later, OR just so the 2 male protagonists don’t have so many friendly “talks”, like the original. Similarly ChoRong took on the detective’s crime solving. The detective being both diligent crime solver AND emotional anti-protocol “savior” in the original was really conflicting. The original was less a love story but more of a face-off between the 2 men. They had a weirdly mysterious “friend and foe” relationship. The Korean version broke out many of the detective’s role into new characters. I don’t think it’s much better, but since they want to empathize the female lead more than the detective (they REALLY added a great deal of thinking scenes for her), they chose to sacrifice some of his parts.

Thanks @geliguolu @sph for giving us your insight based on the original.

I also agree that if in the original too much had been mashed into 1 character, making him inconsistent, then separating the thoughts and actions and giving them to other characters might have been quite a good decision.

I guess more could have been done with the Dr character since he is introduced into this K version. For one thing, I'm curious as to why MY took so long to avail himself of Dr's info. If Yoo Ri had informed him long ago that Dr knew him and he was in Dr's book, why not have made contact earlier to discover what happened. MY had after all been baiting Jin Gook to try to get some evidence of his knowledge or guilt. It would have been a natural step for him to have asked the Dr about his time in Haesan or his knowledge about himself as a child.

Anyway, it's a very interesting character study and 'figuring-out-of-plot' sort of show. Enjoyable for all these discussions on top of for all the great production and acting. The story of course, will break hearts I guess. 😐

great insight GB 😊

Moo-young has shown to us and himself he is capable of showing emotions like compassion, empathy, hurt and anger. But the times he has shown his good emotions has only really been with Jin-kang. We don't know if he will translate that nice emotions to others as you said.

I like though that he hasn't completely changed and still has some darkness and badness in him or else it would be unrealistic, as we saw with him working with Jang Se-ran.

I know a woman who adopted her son when he was five or six. He was diagnosed with emotional detachment disorder due to trauma he'd experienced. MY's character reminds me of him in some ways.

@missh Whoa, sounds about the same and entirely possible for Moo Young.

*sends you back some of the good vibes you have been giving me the past few weeks*
I hope everything gets better soon! :)

Much thanks @turtuallysarcastic I appreciate any good vibes that come my way!!! 😃

I just hope they have their own ending different from J-version. I have hope because what the production team said - they know the controversy on J-version, and they focus on the plot a person can be healed? by another person (I actually felt "Just between Lovers" feel at some point).

Ah @fan you hold out hope!!! That's a great thing to have. I'd have loved a Just Between Lovers ending, where it makes sense. JBL is still my favourite show of the last 2 years ... not even topped by My Ahjusshi. Both are similar come to think of it... A hurting young soul who's given up on self, but who discovers that he's/she's lovable and can heal under tragic circumstances ... always my catnip! 😃

I hope life stresses calm down soon for you!

Thank you dear @ally-le. I believe some things like life long disabilities can be lived with happily, it's not that one cannot be happy, but getting there with acceptance and in peace is the key. Figuring out how to get there for self and loved ones is hard and mysterious. 😐

I hope that things get better for you, @growingbeautifully.
I hold you in my thoughts. 💕

Thank you very much @rukia. I gather with a smile all the positive thoughts and vibes from this wonderful community. It's heart warming and inspiring. 😃

who suffered in guest? pil do?

@alasecond
If you're asking about the young person who suffered ... then all 3 of The Guest's protagonists did, but in particular Yoon and Hwa Pyung, or because of the greater stigma and great sense of responsibility... Hwa Pyung most of all. The childhoods of the 3 were totally disrupted and their futures in a sense chosen by them based on what had happened.

Hwa Pyung had many occasions of suffering, but he rose above them all. At first he was going about recklessly to fight demons and exorcise the possessed, not caring much about himself and just willing to die in the process. But that changed when he met Yoon and Kil Young.

Among the horrors that assailed HP for years, most recently finally finding and about to reconnect more with his father, he loses him in the most horrifying way, then his greater distress that the grandfather he loved and was protecting was the one to be destroyed. He chose death willingly in the end, not out of hopelessness or revenge or for lesser reasons, but in order to save, and he went to it peacefully. That was a very 'life-giving' move in itself. Add to that, that his friends also were prepared to sacrifice themselves to save him, and we have a very healing horror show.

could you pretty please also tell me what was the thing with pil do..
like why he became ghost in the first place and so dissatisfied

@alasecond
SPOILERS for The Guest

SPOILERS

Demons do roam from aeons ago. PID was somewhat different in that he began as a man but chose to live like a demon even when alive. It started when he was sent to Japan in his youth. Don't know what he got exposed to or how he learnt to be so evil but he started by killing the entire household of servants.

His family covered it up as they were rich. However when he went on to kill his own cousin, the family disowned him. He killed his own wife and son and then stabbed his own eye and drowned himself in the sea. It was like offering himself as a sacrifice to the evil spirits, I guess, in order to get their power.

The family driver who was the only one taking care of him was present. PID survived for days in the sea, before he died. Then his driver got possessed and the rest of the possessions seem to start from there. When the driver died his body was buried in his village.

Besides possessing a person, PID was able to command/control lesser demons to possess people who had the darkness of anger, resentment, vengefulness, etc in them.

PID seems to have chosen to reside in one or another human while sending out his minion demons to wreak havoc, seemingly just for the fun of it.

When he happened upon Hwa Pyung's family of shamans, he wanted to possess HP, because his psychic abilities attracted PID. But somehow HP even as a child was too powerful a psychic and PID could not possess him. Still he attacked HP's grandfather instead and threatened to possess HP, so grandfather offered himself instead. As a willing vessel of PID, it was not evident that grandfather was possessed. He also carried out all PID's orders. One of those orders was to dig up the body of the driver and re-bury it in his own garden. This material 'item' enable PID to be anchored in HP's home in grandpa, and to be safe from exorcism.

HP after he was exorcised by the shaman as a child, lost his psychic abilities for a time, and could no longer 'see' PID and so did not know his grandfather was possessed. Ironically he grew up and started searching for PID all his adult life, never knowing that the demon lived in his home.

Is that enough info on PID? 😃

so sad :( .. n who killed mom..hp? asa kid on d riverside

SPOILER

SPOILER

@alasecond PID in grandpa killed HP's mum and grandmother. I don't remember the kid at the river.

OT week 92! Hello, all you Beanies! I sincerely hope everyone had something this week for which to be grateful. As Thanksgiving comes this week to the US, I certainly do. One of which is a great job working with amazing people. I was honored to accept an award for my nurse practitioner last evening as she was out of town doing the very thing for which she was being recognized. I wrote the recommendation letter for her award. (I think she’s figured out that I can write because this was the third recommendation letter I’ve written for her!) I also wrote a speech (of course) which was the highlight of my evening. A woman named “Jennifer Garner” also won for a different category and she was so cute, saying, “I wonder if this is what the real Jennifer Garner feels like winning an award!” Anyway, my job is so much better because of the people I work with. I see these kdramas with horrible working environments and am that much more thankful working where I am and doing what I’m doing.
I was able to watch “On Your Wedding Day” with Kim Young Kwang and Park Bo Young last weekend, and I really liked it. KYK looks exactly like he did in “White Christmas” as the high school slack-off in this movie. One of the “wedding songs” that I put on my wall for the “Min-Min wedding” last weekend sums up the whole movie if you want to know the ending. Anyway, it’s good, everyone should see it! And I still would like a Park Bo Young-Park Bo Gum pairing at some point!

The rest of what I’ve been watching are clips for upcoming dramas to see what I’ll be watching when I come off hiatus! What are you all looking forward to in the new crop of dramas for the beginning of the year? And I’m looking forward to Highlight’s new album coming out November 20th! With a Doo-joon solo! Whoa!!!

Conversations heard in the car:

Son: Oh, sister, tell mom the story about best friend today!

Daughter: You know how I have tons of things in my pockets all the time?

Me: Sure.

Daughter: Well, we were playing a pretend game at recess and everyone was a certain character, like normal people, The Mom, The Kid, The Friend… etc. Well, best friend was, “a people-killing-world-travelling-drug-dealer,” and I was her associate.

Son: That’s awesome.

Me: So what about the things in your pockets?

Daughter: I’m getting to that. Best friend was making fun of me for having all these random things, like alcohol wipes, band-aids, mini-flashlights, hair ties, but then I asked her what she had in her coat pocket and guess what she pulled out!

Son: A WATER GUN!!! Did she get in trouble? You’re not supposed to have anything resembling a gun at school! Wasn’t there a recess monitor there?

Daughter: I know! We were all surprised!

Me: You sure she didn’t plan that? I mean, part of her job description is “people killing?”

Daughter: I don’t think so, but we were pushing alcohol wipes to the other kids, saying, “Don’t you want to try...

it? It’s so clean and has the best quality!”

Me: Omygod, daughter, are you sure those aren’t contraband? (And, really, where was the recess monitor?)

Son: Your class is awesome. I told my friends about you guys.

Moral of the Story: I’m glad I didn’t get a call from the principal’s office yesterday.

2nd Moral: #momoftheyear #morethingsformymemoire

3rd Moral: Happy Thanksgiving!

Always enjoying the story of your family. btw are they normal? kids these days? I spend most of time with older folks and hasn't kept up with kids these days. Wait, I know one 6 year old who mostly says "I know".

My kids are certainly NOT normal.

I'm glad that they are themselves. So much more fun, @ally-le...!
You have to let us know when that memoir comes out. Please?!

. . . said the exceptionally proud Mother, heart bursting with love.

I love your stories, Dr. @ally-le. The description of the bits and bobs in your daughter's pockets just filled me the memory of love for my mother, who died almost five years ago. She was an oncology RN and we had alcohol wipes (and other medical flotsam) everywhere. Pockets, the glove compartment, bedside tables, medicine cabinet, lockers, backpacks, kitchen counter. Even the smell of rubbing alcohol reminds me of her.

Your mom sounds like she was an amazing person! Oncology RNs have the highest emotional IQs. I’m sure you miss her.

Thanks, @ally-le. Mom will forever be the voice in my head (and heart.) Both in that motherly touchy-feely way and ... "Are you sure you want to wear that skirt? It doesn't suit you. At all." ;D

I totally meant to mention. If anyone needs a pretty good browser, I’ve been using ALOHA this week (it’s in the apple App Store for sure) and it has its own VPN! It’s been working well!

So! Netflix has Gotten Some Things since last week. First up, my favorite C-Drama "Love O2O" (2016) suddenly showed up there this week. I was off sick with an unusually severe cold and found it in the new releases. I don't know whether it was just time for them to pick up some more back catalog releases or if someone went shopping at the DramaFever Fire Sale.

BUT! BUT! Bigger news. Variety announced it got Memories of the Alhambra which will be a simulcast and not held in a batch!! ALSO Kingdom has been renewed for a second season! That's right! The Doona Bae starring Netflix-financed Korean Zombie Apocalypse Sageuk has been renewed before it even airs. (It airs in January). Source: Variety! (https://variety.com/2018/tv/asia/netflix-korea-drama-series-memories-of-the-alhambra-1203029339/)

Finally, Netflix has secured Love Alarm starring Kim So Hyun. I found it in their listings and added it to my queue already though it's not coming out until 2019. (https://www.netflix.com/title/80168068)

Thanks for the heads up about the Netflix releases (in particular Love Alarm)!

Wow, this is BIG news indeed! Thanks for being our correspondent from Variety. So excited to hear that Alhambra will simulcast 😍

Indeed! I have added it to my queue already. https://www.netflix.com/title/81004280

Bonus, I found a Loreena McKennitt concert while I was searching for it. XD

That’s a name I haven’t seen in a while. I played and memorized The Lady of Shalott because of her.

Awwww, I love Loreena McKennitt too. I may have to check it out.

@alessar, @ally-le, @jozie,

Another Loreena fangirl here. Her album "The Visit" is one of my faves. A musician friend turned me on to this album many moons ago.

I think I've watched that Loreena McKennitt concert on Netflix. Was that the concert at the Alhambra? You can really hear the Moorish influence in "All Souls Night." BTW, Galicia in northwestern Spain takes its name from a Celtic people.

I've posted a few items on my fan wall for you guys. (I didn't see your message until after I was done, @jozie. You're included, too.) Enjoy. ;-)

The fun starts here:

I have that CD too, and all the songs still memorized.

Indeed it was!

Oooh I have to dig out my copy of her Christmas album and rip mp3s from it...! I don't have it in my cloud it's so old.

I'm glad they got Love O2O! I was in the middle of watching that when DramaFever went down and haven't been able to finish it. Now I can! I just found Meteor Garden also on Netflix (Chinese version of Boys over Flowers) so I have started watching that.

Memories of the Alhambra is one of the dramas I am looking forward to so I am happy someone is picking it up. I am glad Netflix is now releasing episodes as they come out instead of holding onto them like in the past.

The Meteor Garden they have is actually a new remake that was just released a month ago. JavaBeans was on it like crack but she only gushed on her twitter since the site's K-drama focused.

Also I am happy to meet another LO2O viewer! I liked the show so much I hunted down a fan translation of the novel. One thing I'm not sure of is that I think the copy that Netflix has is a tiny bit different cut than DramaFever had. It could just be that a different translation is throwing me but there keep being tiny scenes and lines I don't remember and I've watched the show 3x. I wouldn't be shocked if the cut was like 2 minutes longer per episode and they added 1-2 lines per episode. (But I don't know why they would.)

I probably wont notice any changes since it will be my first time watching (I was up to about episode 15 when DF went down). But I noticed the Chinese dramas sometimes get cut or edited a bit differently. For example, Ashes of Love has 63 episodes but Viki only has 60 even though it's all the episodes. The episodes were just edited a bit differently which caused the episode count to be different. So maybe the same thing happened to Love O2O?

I tried watching Meteor Garden and gave up - much more bland and boring - and too long - compared to the Korean version.

YES! Saw that the other day and it made me so happy. One of the saddest things about DramaFever going under was that all of a sudden, I didn't have a place to watch this particular drama (Song Jae-Jung is my favorite writer, of all times!) and I almost cried my eyes out. I'm so glad Netflix is finally paying attention to what's going on outside "the white people sphere" (aka, the US, England and a little bit of Europe). Yay for K drama world domination :)

I was shocked at the ending of episode 14 of A Hundred Million Stars Falling From The Sky. So now, the question on everyone's minds is: Are they siblings, or not? If they are, it's going to be mindblowing. I think that they'll go the safe route and reveal that they are not. Even then, I expect Jin kang and Moo young to believe that they are, and for deaths to occur as a result of that false belief, the likeliest being Jin kang.

If anyone wants to watch Quiz from God 5: Reboot, then you can check out my wall. It is subbed by tvN Asia. Softsubs is available on Subscene.

Looking forward to Top Star. I hope it fills the spot Terius had.

I liked the ending of Terius, but felt like the last 2 eps lacked for focusing so heavily on the spy portion. They need a little more Joon Joon twins, Ae-rin, and KIS.

Need to watch last 2 eps of Hundred Million Stars. *sigh* I'll probably really need a new happy show.

Two new songs on repeat this morning.

Aurora by Jonghyun. It came up on Spotify and was partway through when I realized I needed to rewind and listen better.

And July by Heize. This I've heard before. I watched the video when I kept seeing it pop up in places but it didnt really click for me. But it was another random Spotify play that I had to stop and see who was singing.

@bcampbell1662 I'm already watching 'safe' and lighter shows to offset 100 Million Stars/The Smile. It's too taxing on the emotions. 😉

About Terius, I felt that there really was no place for the little kids in the last 2 episodes. Parking them safely in Jeju-do calmed our nerves (not to mention Ae Rin's and Bon's) while the adults did their spy work. The time skip one year later was expected but not convincing because they do bring back the twins, who have not grown by 12 months at all!! 😆

Hi Everyone! I hope you are all doing well today!

To those of you celebrating Thanksgiving next week, I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Matrimonial Chaos - Omo! That ending on this week's episode! That ending! ..... What is going on?

My Secret Terrius - I only have the final episode to watch. *sadface* I'm really going to miss Bon and everyone else from this show!

Happy To Die - This show certainly has it's fun moments. ..... Ru-da's boss' fault may be that he has no filter when dealing with his team, but he does seem to have a sense of what's right and what's wrong.

Player - Good to see the Team did get the baddie ..... and aww, they looked out for Ah-ryung until the very end.

Room No. 9 - I'm soooo behind on this. I need to catch up and I don't know where I'm going to find the time!

That's all for now. Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Happy Friday @korfan!

@ndlessjoie Happy Friday to you too! Hope you have a great weekend!

OMO! (in caps is needed) for Matrimonial Chaos. And I normally don't really watch previews. But I did for this one since we only got one episode this week. Now the wait!

The Player was not the greatest but it was satisfactory. I enjoyed the banter between the four. What a cute family they've formed!

Have a great weekend!

Heh! You're right! Caps are needed! ...... Is someone imaging things? Did someone really run into someone else and then, well, things happened? What? I have questions and I want to know! But, ugh, the wait!!

Regarding Player, I'm glad the team worked well because I have to tell you, Byung-min was making me nervous for a couple of episodes.

You have a great weekend also!

Why didn't I think of that? Maybe someone is imagining things in Matrimonial Chaos. Either way, I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Well I am not worried for Matrimonial Chaos (I trust J-version). I enjoyed later episodes of the Player (want to say Big thanks to the recapper). I was very frustrated watching Terius, but spy stuff was not their forte, so that's that.
Nine room is good too now- looks that I am enjoying most of shows I am watching. I am waiting for next holiday so that I can watch Heart surgeon (and finish The Guest). Happy Thanksgivng to me.

Happy OT, everyone! I hope you all had a good week and are looking forward to a relaxing kdrama-filled weekend - or the other way around. :-)

I have a question to those of you who stream your kdramas (with subtitles): Do you have a good alternative to Dramafever? Viki and Dramago don't work properly for me, and I really want to watch Room No. 9 and Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter...

Alternately, maybe someone has a good tip for how to watch these dramas in a non-streaming way?

Thank you!!

@alexgabriel In my part of the world, there are no legal sites as alternatives. Using browsers like Chrome, with add ons like Video Downloader, you can find sites from which you can download and watch shows. They are mostly fan subbed I believe.

I personally use Viki and Netflix. But since DramaFever went down about half the kdramas out there went away with it. So I have had to use illegal sites which I am pretty against, but I am desperate! One I use is called quickdrama.com. You can either stream or download the episodes there and out of the lot of them it has worked the best for me.

For MAMA FAIRY AND THE WOODCUTTER you might try here:
ROOM NO. 9 is also available there.
(I use Adblock and have not had any issues.)

Unless the policy has changed here, linking to pirate sites is not allowed.

I’m currently fostering the cutest grey tabby kitten, and dreading the day I have to give him back to the shelter. It’s amusing to see my husband’s transformation from a “don’t even come close to me kitten” to “come sleep with me and love me forever”. He’s been so gentle and kind to the kitten, I’m so pleased that he finally realized that he is a secret kitten lover. We will both miss the little guy so much.

On the drama front, just finished Familiar Wife which was pretty good. Currently watching Life, which is a little slow, but I feel like the slow burn will be rewarding. Also re-watching Chief Kim with hubby, and still love it the second time around.

Happy early Thanksgiving to those who are celebrating next week!

Oh, but can't you keep the kitten?
Have you followed the saga of Paris Zarcilla on Twitter? (@ParisZarcilla) He's the London filmmaker who found a strange cat in his underbed sweater box one day and she'd had four kittens. Their story together is pure joy.

I love Paris's Twitter feed!

And now he's made two calendars for the new year 😺

My aversion is more powerful than my affection. I never even allowed family dog to walk near my room.
I can only sympathise with Mr. cleaning hero for falling in love with heroine.

I wont let myself foster pets because I will either end up keeping them all or be really upset I shouldn't keep them. I am especially a cat person so good luck on letting the little guy go!

I loved Chief Kim. I was very skeptical about it at first but it was such a fun ride.

I never expected Chief Kim to capture my heart the way it did, that was a fun surprise.

I can't foster for the same reason, just allow one willful rescue cat to run the house and me 😻

My real life is so hectic and stressful, am not able to bring myself to watch HMS/TSHLYE. I know I should, I know I want to, but am not ready for the heartbreaks.

Looking forward to the Thanksgiving weekend. I need the break!
I plan to read books and not watch TV, lets see how that goes ; )

@mayhemf I'll congratulate you if you can read instead of watch a show. Don't think I've properly picked up a book in a while with all the shows that keep teasing me to pay them attention. 😐 Let me know how it goes!!

Happy snowy Friday everyone! It's freezing here in Baltimore. It's the perfect day to play hooky and curl up with a drama. I'm really into 30 but 17. I love both of these characters and the people around them. I love the hints at the various backstories. I'm on ep 14 and, I can't wait to finish it. I'm also watching The Smile Has Left Your Eyes, but it stresses me out. I'm on 4 and I keep waiting fro something bad to happen. I do so love Seo In Guk.

@maiaeva Oh yes, 30 But 17 was a lovely show, flaws and all. One of those healing, Don't Think, Feel Good shows.

Speaking of stress! I'm having quite a lot of it already, and then The Smile has to reach it's last few episodes with much darkness. So dark, so good.

I'm almost at the end of TSHLYE and Seo In Guk has been amazing. Your going to need to find another sweet drama to balance it out.

*you're

Glad you're enjoying 30 but 17!

I'm not currently watching The Smile Has Left Your Eyes but judging by everyone's comments, it's quite the show.

Stay warm!

SIG is amazing.

I'm in the middle of a Thirty But Seventeen marathon (ep. 12). It would seem I missed out on a lovely little drama earlier this year thanks to The Slump. I love it so far!

CHUGAKUSEI NIKKI

NAme is enough to show the effect.

Headache. Cold. Winter.

Clean with Passion - gonna compare my habits with hero.
At times it becomes illogical as well as discriminatory but that's what everything comes out on surface.

It reminded me of Age of Youth scene when girls start to distance from kang yi na. especially cleaning the toilet seat.
I do that every time and never use public wash rooms.

Wow! This week's episodes of The Smile Has Left Your Eyes were just amazing. Sad, but amazing acting by the 3 leads all around. I feel so bad for Moo Young and Jin Kang-can this drama be saved for a happy ending for these two characters? I'm bracing myself that the answer is "no". It's too bad this quality production isn't getting more ratings love in South Korea, but I understand since it's not a show that appeals to everyone.
Off topic- does anyone know what is going on at the Outside Seoul tumblr site? There haven't been any postings in a month now. I really enjoy her thoughts and reviews of K dramas. Did Outside Seoul shut down?

She has two sites. Which one? The episode from Outside Seoul? She probably just hasn't seen dramas worthy of blogging.

Her other site is still active. She just posted yesterday.

Thanks for your response @drawde2000. Yes, I was referring to Episodes from Outside Seoul tumblr. I didn't realize she had another site. Could you tell me the name of the other site?
Thanks so much!

Her other Tumblr is Outside Seoul. Btw, she has a new post for Fluttering Alert #1 at Episodes from Outside Seoul

Thanks so much! Glad to know that she is still posting.

Though this site is anything and everything. Not necessarily drama related.

Thank you very much for the link. Much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving to all US Beanies who celebrate! For me, I finally sat back and saw that the holiday was an orgy of eating foods that I don't enjoy, followed by people staring at sports that I loathe and now you can't even discuss how you feel about the founding of the country (much less where it's headed) 😱 And so I've become The Grinch of Thanksgiving and stay home, eat Italian food and indulge in kdrama all day.
Yes, I can't stand turkey or pumpkin or understand why anyone wants to eat soggy bread full of sage and "fall" spices. Bring me some Tex-Mex, please! I will give thanks for Indian food, and for not having to watch men deliberately trying to injure one another while calling it sport. Give me Viki and TCM and salad!

I like the way you think! How many carb loaded dishes are necessary at one holiday? I do like the turkey, but I skip most of the rest including the concussion causing sports.

Thank you! I know it's un-American and it started with realizing that I hate pumpkin and developed with thinking about explaining the meal to non-Western guests. I can do a whole detailed rant on each dish but now realize I really should have saved this for my fan wall ☺️🤦🏻‍♀️ Everyone feel free to dump on me!

I think it's very American - freedom of expression.

And YOU are RIGHT 🇺🇸🔔🇱🇷📜🇱🇷!!!
But like, nobody (but Beanies, yay!) gets that 😬

@ndlessjoie mugyuljoie, @bbstl,

Manseh for freedom of ingestion!!

I love Thanksgiving dinners haha. But I also do love Italian food and Indian is one of my favorite ethnic foods.

Thankfully my family doesn't like sports, what they do like is what I like. So we spend the Holidays binge watching kdramas, movies, playing video games and other games and just chilling with each other. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because I am close to my family (and we have similar likes) and get to spend it with them.

Yes, my family is now my friends and I am thankful I can see them all the time and let them spend the holiday with their relatives 😁

You're not the Grinch of Thanksgiving, you just have your preferences .... you know what you like and what you don't and that's fine. When it comes to food (and the holiday), everyone should eat what he or she likes. I do like turkey, pumpkin and some of the other holiday foods, provided they're prepared in ways I like, but certainly not a fan of soggy bread! And yes, some people overdo it on the sage, unfortunately.

Have a Happy Thankgsiving enjoying and being thankful for what you like! :)

Thank you! And by soggy bread, I mean stuffing.

I'm thankful for dramabeans, Beanies, the new and improved DB with stroopwafel and for all Beanies who love Thanksgiving!

America is a very diverse country of many different cultures brought here from many different countries. I view Thanksgiving as a reminder to give thanks for the founding of this country as a safe haven for such diversity (kind of). It's also just a good excuse to leave real life and hide in kdrama world for a while. I don't feel the need to take part in the other traditions of the holiday that don't pertain to my own, so bbstl, let's be Thanksgiving Grinches together.

Oh sukkie, my favorite dongsaeng, I love you 😘
I am thankful that you are young enough and I'm now old enough to do what we want on Thanksgiving, hurray!!!
It's a great feeling, I wish it for everyone at some point 🤞🏽

not doing Turkey Day with siblings on either side -- so our T day menu is up in the air!

Please report back!

whodathunkit... my husband wants turkey. i was thinking japanese food...
: [

@spazmo same here... my family decided to eat turkey anyways. turkey is such a dry meat, and any amount of greasy gravy or whatever won't fix it. I was hoping for some good chinese food..

TBH, I am grinch of Thanksgiving. That is why and my hubby and I and three kids are going to Vegas and staying at Palazzo hotel with Prestige lounge aka Kids love it because they food there all day long. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Uh.. I am kind of grinch of some holidays except Mother’s Day. Hahhahahah That is another story.

😂 Except Mother's Day hahaha! I like how your mind works there 👍🏼
It's very nice to meet more Thanksgiving Grinches, and I get the feeling we are inspiring others for the future. Like all the moms who get out of town for Chuseok or Lunar New Year, I think it's great!

Yes, you should eat what you like! One year when we didn't go to family we had kimbap as our main dish for Thanksgiving - it was great!

Char siu for the win, if you can find anyplace that makes it right (that would not be me - 3x fail).

I like the turkey, everything else not so much. My interest in pro sports is right up there with watching rocks grow.

@bbstl,

Manseh for giving yourself permission to celebrate in your own way. It's the thought -- and the gratitude -- that counts. I'll be watching Kdrama all day, just like you.

I, too, am a hater of pumpkin in every way, shape, and form. Horrible, musky-smelling stuff. Yuck! Oddly enough, I discovered to my great surprise that I adore squash pie -- which is usually made with a winter keeper variety such as blue Hubbard. The kind you need an axe (or a chainsaw) to cut. Frozen pureed squash used to be made from that variety, and that's what Mom used for her pies.

I'll gladly eat your share of stuffing as long as it's loaded with Bell's Seasoning, which one buddy exiled in the Rockies calls "the archetypal fragrance of a New England Thanksgiving," or words to that effect. For me, it's an aromatherapy time machine back to kidhood at my grandparents' house.

One year, Mr. P and I went to our favorite Indian vegetarian restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner. That would have been following the disastrous Year of the Voodoo Turkey. Half of the upper heating element in the oven failed to work, and it took 9 hours to cook the doggone turkey instead of about 3-4. At least the vegetables cooked on the top of the stove came out well. ;-) Unfortunately that was the year we had my folks and 2 siblings over for dinner... It was like suddenly finding ourselves in the middle of a Jean Shepherd story. Luckily we're all Shepherd fans, so the ridiculousness of the situation was appreciated. My family are such good sports. ;-)

Disastrous cooking for company stories are the best! We should do that as a thread one day. I had the opposite experience of yours and did a turkey in a Weber grill with, apparently, WAY more than enough coals banked up the sides because that bird was done in no time flat! We ate really early that year.

High five on the pumpkin ✋🏽

@bbstl, I bow in awe that you avoided charred turkey flambé, or worse yet, the dessicated, cardboardy version. As a kid, I always liberally buttered the bread for leftover turkey sandwiches because of the dryness.

Some years ago, I bought a table-top infrared convection oven after seeing it used in a demo to cook grass-fed beef, which has less marbling than the feedlot variety. One Thanksgiving I cooked a fresh 14-lb. turkey from a local farm in it. The turkey came out succulent and baked to perfection. I nearly keeled over in shock. ;-)

I'm so glad to meet a fellow pumpkin antifan. However, kabocha (Japanese pumpkin) is fine by me. It's the ones that look like jack o'lanterns I cannot abide. ;-)

I do not know through what miracle that turkey not only survived but was not overdone. But it seems to me it was cooked in something crazy like two hours LOL.
As for the pumpkin spice, the affliction came upon me later in life. I can't even smell it now without gagging. Weird 😖
But I can slice up jack o'lanterns with no problem at all!

@bbstl November 18, 2018 at 1:23 PM

So it's actually the pumpkin spice that grosses you out? Interesting. I'm fine with the spice. It's the actual pumpkin I cannot abide.

Pumpkin spice is usually a ground combination of ginger, mace, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. It wouldn't surprise me if it were nutmeg or allspice that tastes bad to you now. Nutmeg can trigger allergic reactions. Large amounts of freshly-ground nutmeg, and its oil, has psychoactive effects. Maybe your bod is warning you to avoid it.

As a New Englander, I like all of the constituent spices, and used to make sure to sprinkle nutmeg on my eggnog. Mace (the reddish net-like covering of the nutmeg seed) has a more delicate flavor. Mom always put it in her pound cake. ;-)

Aiieeeee, nutmeg! I can hardly even read what you wrote, I hate it so much. Cinnamon, almost as much but nutmeg is like a cross to a vampire for me.
I will steel myself and read the link, thanks very much! 🤢 Really.

But honestly I dislike alllll the autumn flavor spices. I tend to think most spices and herb stuff taste like dirt. And I'm one of the cilantro tastes like soap people. What a weirdo. 😣

@bbstl November 19, 2018 at 7:59 PM

Wow, I'm thoroughly boggled. Sorry to have nauseated you just by writing the names of the offending herbs and spices.

Cilantro was an acquired taste for me, and initially tasted soapy. But it's used in Thai and Indian cuisine, and I have grown to like it very much.

In talking with a food-testing scientist years ago, I learned that some people cannot smell patchouli. Perhaps there are other flavors and fragrances whose detection is subject to genetic factors. Maybe they taste different to you than they do to folks like me who like them.

If it's any consolation, when I was a kid, I could not abide the pink color of Campbell's cream of tomato soup. I couldn't stand tomato in any form other than pizza. I wouldn't even eat spaghetti sauce. Perhaps I had an aversion to nightshades or something. Anyway, simply visualizing a bowl of cream of tomato made me throw up once. I think it was the fact that it had milk in it that grossed me out. I wouldn't eat macaroni and cheese back then, either, because the idea of putting milk on perfectly good pasta was just GROSS. -- And because of my hypersensitive sniffer, I would't touch most cheeses, even cheddar, with a 10-foot pole. It was American or bust.

I shall eat your share of stuffing (or dressing if that is your term of choice), as it is my favorite.

It's a texture thing. I'm with @bbstl on this one. No dumplings for me either.

but I will eat your dumplings! You mean western dumplings with gravy, right? (I'll eat your Eastern dumplings as well). I guess I'm ok with bland, solid wet bread *hangs head in shame*

@bbstl, I'll see you your Knödel (dumplings) and raise you a passel of Spätzle! My idea of heaven.

No dumplings of any kind and I accept my strange limitations.

@ndlessjoie, @pakalanapikake and I will gobble up all the Eastern European and German damp doughlike foods, do not fear. Spätzle! I made those once, what a good time. But for problem textures, I will pass on to you all sausages except salamis and most ground meats.

@ndlessjoie mugyuljoie, does that include ravioli and mandoo? If so, I call dibs to spare you the horror. ;-)

Pasta that isn't overcooked is acceptable.

@egads,

For me, turkey is the substrate upon which to serve the stuffing. And for heaven's sake, NO giblets in the gravy!!! An abomination... Just skip the gravy. I'll moisturize the turkey with jellied cranberry instead. ;-)

@pakalanapikake Turkey is the bland base for the stuffing and giblet-free gravy. Throw in the cranberry sauce and it's grand. Friday you might find me making a turkey/stuffing/cranberry sandwich, because you have to taper down the carbs after the overload on Thursday. If you go cold turkey (so to speak), it might be bad for your health.

Now I'm wondering why cold turkey? What a strange phrase.

@egads,

Turkey can also be lubricated with well-buttered mashed potatoes, or baked sweet potatoes or yams.

As for "cold turkey," here's some background:

Heavens, you guys are close to making me retch.

@bbstl I apologize, but I will still enjoy my thanksgiving stuffing with gusto.

@egads, no, I apologize and I wish you many happy servings over the weekend!

Good morning fellow Beanies! Hope everyone had a wonderful week. I'm super excited for US Thanksgiving next week. One of my favorite holidays as I get to spend time with family and binge watching kdramas.

Fox Bride Star I'm really liking this one. Lee Soo-Yeon is so insistent to just live his life quietly and unremarkably but his innate goodness and a troublesome woman seems to be against him. I really like both characters. Han Yeo-Reum might be opinionated and a bit of a mess but she is a good person. She means well but doesn't always know how to express that or think things through. Overall I am enjoying this rom-com and the daily lives of the various airport employees.

Meteor Garden When I was young and into anime/manga Hana Yori Dango was one of my favorites. It is actually what led me to kdramas because my love for the anime/manga prompted me to give Boys Over Flowers a try. And after that the rest is history. So while looking through Netflix for a new show to watch while I work I saw Meteor Garden (which is the Chinese drama version of Hana Yori Dango) and decided to give it a try. There are some changes to fit the Chinese setting and culture but overall it's pretty similar. When compared to the kdrama I personally find Dong Shancai and Hua Ze Lei so much better as characters (and actors) compared to Geum Jan-di and Yoon Ji-hoo. I do however, have a harder time comparing Dao Ming Si and Gu Jun-pyo as characters. They are a bit different from each other but I personally like both. Except, what is up with Dao Ming Si's hair? Instead of curls they just rolled chunks of his hair into weird spikes and he looks like a hedgehog. Overall I am enjoying it so far and think it's a better production then what the Korean Boys Over Flowers was (which let's be honest, despite being weirdly addicting it wasn't very well done).

The best part of Meteor Garden was Ah Si's hair (IMO...long live the pineapple!) . I do agree that the show was weirdly addicting.

I watched all three versions (T, K, J) and cartoon. Somehow I enjoyed the cartoon the most (even though pineapple hair was hard to forget). Then again it was so long ago.

Beanies, I think I fall in love with Chun Jung Myung.
Look at that face, look at that smile. He has similar charm like South Korean president. His face makes him look like a very kind person, although of course nobody how he is in real life.
What kind of prayer should I send to drama Gods so he can revive his career? I need to see him more on my screen...
Can he do a family drama for his next project? Pleaseeeeee....

I love you, Mano! :D
Enjoy your new “guy month”. ;)

You know me too well 😂😂
I love you too 😘

LOL..I love Mano's affection for each of her "guy month".

I'm with you there, @manohira. Am obsessed with Fluttering Alert/Tingling Advisory/Love Warning. My God, he and Yoon Yoo-Jung are so delicious together that I can barely hear the audio over the sound of my own squees. I predict this show will go far to reboot their careers because of how they've captured the most natural, charming, lovable on-screen chemistry I've seen in ages.

Seriously, though. How many times have I asked myself, "How can two people be so f***ing cute?!" while watching Fluttering Warning. I love them to pieces. Under less stressful conditions, I would've flooded my fan page with essays and GIFs of our lovers. But RL and sleep won't allow it. ;)

I hope you're right @tsutsuloo, I hope you're right. I'm very glad Yoon eun-hye took FW as her comeback. It's a low budget and the writing sometimes looks like written by a 10 year-old, but the characters suprisingly are very normal and act like people in their thirties should act.
Have you seen episode 6?? OMG, they expressed their jealousy in the cutest and funniest way. Now, my face is hurt from giggling and squealing.

I agree so much! They are so cute! And the rest of the drama is so insane.

I'm just happy they're on the screen 90% of the time.

@cloggie—With that in mind, I've placed three Quiznos subs on my dramagod altar with prayers that the show keeps the 9:1 ratio of OTP:everything else.

I still haven't found the time to watch episode 14 of 100MSFTS yet! I accidentally scrolled through the beanie fanwall yesterday, and there were spoilers galore, although not too explicit. It just gives me even more anxiety about Moo-young's fate. Super scared to continue watching.
Next week is Thanksgiving Break! We have a whole week of school off, and I should be really excited, but I have an interview for an internship on Saturday and a piano recital on Sunday before I can finally relax for the break. My stress levels have been steadily rising since last week, and today it's pretty much at a high. I can't wait until I get the weekend over with so that I can choose a drama to marathon through break.
On a happier note, this past month I've been slowly getting through My Ahjussi, and I just have the final episode left. I'll withhold all my emotional ranting for the WWW thread, but this drama has really been the only thing getting me through the trenches of high school. Hwaiting!

I finally dropped 100MSFTS - just too depressing, and I was starting to FF a lot of episodes.