Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Beauty Inside: Still enjoying, still thinking it’s an unrealistic fanservice of a romance that doesn’t quite ring true for me, even though it’s super fun to watch. It sort of falls into that What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim category for me, where it’s very lightweight and I don’t connect to the deeper emotions (…ARE there deeper emotions?) but what it does on the surface makes it a very pretty, shiny surface. And I do covet everything Seo Hyun-jin wears.

Hundred Millions Stars From the Sky: I fell a bit behind, but as I play catch-up I’m a little surprised that at this stage (nine episodes in) I still feel like I know so little about the main character, and yet I’m totally sucked into his intrigue. I’m antsy to know more, but the show is really holding us at arm’s length, isn’t it?

Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter: I’m not sure what I was expecting with this show, but I don’t think this was quite it. It’s far more slapstick than I thought it would be, and if it weren’t for the casting I’d think this looks rather low-rent, in the vein of Modern Farmer. Which isn’t a put-down, since I kind of loved Modern Farmer and its unabashed silly comedy and commitment to the absurd. It’s just not what I thought we’d get when I heard Moon Chae-won and Yoon Hyun-min would be paired in a fantasy romance. The casting does keep me going, though, because I love how Moon Chae-won somehow imbues all this emotion to what is otherwise a fairly silly show.

odilettante

New Journey to the West Season 6: Finally a new season! I can’t believe we had to wait, like, a whole minute after Season 5 unceremoniously ended. The pain Na PD puts us through, I swear. But I’m actually really enjoying this “new” season — the vague disappointment I had been feeling when the guys were in Hong Kong dissipated once they reached Japan. Maybe I just like fruit more than ghosts. Whatever it is, the games and camaraderie between the guys are now hitting all the right marks for me, and I can’t wait to see how Na PD talks himself out of the ridiculously-expensive and supposedly impossible-to-pick prizes that the guys managed to win despite the odds. Maybe we’ll get another desperate bargaining session — if so, I’ve got my fingers crossed for another Youth Over Flowers spin-off.

stroopwafel

Hundred Million Stars From the Sky: Can I stan or can I not stan Jin-kang and Moo-young?! The drama has had me glued to the screen so far, but I’m not sure I can keep watching — the suspense is driving me crazy.

My Secret Terrius: What a sweet, silly, fun show. So Ji-sub does stoic softie so well (check out the movie A Company Man for another take on the stoic marshmallow version of So Ji-sub). Sure there were some big ol’ plot holes but the interactions and chemistry between the actors have been great enough for me to overlook any plot issues.

Fox Bride Star: I love, love, LUV Soo-yeon and Yeo-reum but I kind of wish the drama would hurry up and let us know what’s up with Soo-yeon’s prosthetics. Though I wish the pacing was a bit swifter, I’m cheering on Soo-yeon and Yeo-reum. I also have my fingers crossed for my favorite potential couple, Dae-ki and Young-joo.

mary

Fox Bride Star: Hormones. That’s what’s wrong with Soo-yeon’s prosthetics. Every time it malfunctioned terribly, it’s because he either saved his crush, tried to impress his crush, did a good deed inspired by his crush, or ignored Noodle Ajusshi’s instructions so he can sneak away and spend even more time with his crush. I’d check for hormonal imbalance if I were you, Noodle Ajusshi. As payment for my diagnosis, I’ll accept blind dates with other adorable-in-love guys you might be friends with (bionic or not).

Bad Papa: I love! This show is like a superhero origins story starring Jang Hyuk as Yoo Ji-cheol: a goofy dad with good morals who gets kicked around a liiittle bit too much (a LOT, this is K-drama) by life. It’s no wonder that when he accidentally gains superpowers, he starts using them to cheat for his own family’s gain. Too bad his family is still miserable even with all the money their Bad Papa is raking in. With the level of cluelessness and doofus-ness Ji-cheol has, it’ll take time for him to figure out why. Though I hope he does before his new superpowers kill him. (Hint: your wife is writing erotica to pay the bills and her fantasy scenario is a guy cooking her the perfect Eggs Benedict. No mention of fancy new cars at all.)

After the Rain: This two-hour drama special is basically KBS getting jealous over MBC’s Oh Jak-doo and going, “I want our own adorable country ajusshi, but change his profession to something else to avoid those pesky plagiarism scandals. Oh, and don’t make Kim Kang-woo too perfect. Give him some character growth for goodness sake!” Thus, After the Rain was made.

Matrimonial Chaos: This show. So good. I feel bad that it’s geting low ratings because they’ve done a good job fleshing out Seok-mu’s neurotic character and his disconnect with “normal” folks. If you’ve ever been a fussy, misunderstood person who “hates happiness” and tries hard to show your affection but ultimately fails and drives your loved ones away, this is your show. *cough* Not that I’m saying I’m that kind of person *cough* but yeah… watch this, y’all.

The Guest: In this house, we don’t talk about that boring exposition scene with Gramps in the front yard. Ever. We only talk about that beautiful final exorcism and the tri-mance of friendship that developed between our leads both on- and off-cam and how we’re thankful that the tri-mance was not broken in the finale. Also, we mourn that Yook Kwang didn’t get to see how much Hwa-pyung loved him in this life.

abirdword

Currently recapping: My Secret Terrius

Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter: I’ve only watched the first episode, but I love the set design, from Yi-hyun’s apartment to the mountain village. The CGI I could live without, but I hardly see it at all if I just concentrate on the excellent coffee brewing indulgences instead. I love all the characters except the lead–how are we to expect this guy to ever be decent to anyone?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

(A prayer here for Top Star Yoo Baek to be recognised at DB! Also, for more time to watch dramas!)

Happy to Die:
Now this is how you do a zany and wacky show without being crazy and illogical: it was a wonderful premiere with an interesting take on the time-loop genre mashed together with some social commentary. I really loved how the female lead slowly stepped into her protector role by the end of the setup and became a lot more proactive in righting the wrongs around her. There are some things that the show will have to address down the road that have the potential to trip the show up though: the source of the time-loops and President Kang’s arc which is veering close towards villainy.

Also watching (Five word reactions since I haven’t caught up to the latest episode yet!):
Fox Bride Star: Majorly disappointed with clumsy writing
Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter: Male leads are boring cliches
Fluttering Alert: Good luck Chun Jung Myung

I randomly saw Top Management on YouTube and was interested enough to scour google to find the non-free episodes. The writing is a little patchy but I like the team dynamics.

I’ve also wanted to catch a glimpse of Eun Joo’s Room: has anyone seen it on the net?

Did you find the non free episodes of Top Management?

Yes, though it is not exactly legal so I can't share a direct link here. It is posted on MDL though, so that's where you can go to find it.

Thanks for the tip!

did you find it? non free episodes

I'm doing a group watch for this show on rabbit if you want to join! I'll do it for all the eps if there's enough interest :) (signed up for youtube premium)

Now this is how you do a zany and wacky show without being crazy and illogical - my thoughts exactly

Yeayyy for Top star Yoo baek. More than in DB, I hope it will be a hit in SK. This could be a career break for the three leads.

You can do free trial of youtube premium for a month (the next batch of eps comes out Nov 16) and then cancel!

My Secret Terius - Just the sort of healing drama that everyone needs. I love watching uncomplicated stuff like it (let's be honest, none of us really watches the spy scenes)
New Journey to the West Season 6 - So season 5 ended. Hoping for season 6 to be longer, although I wouldn't be surprised to see a season 7 too :) I love Ahn Jaehyun, that guy is amazing. And Eun Jiwon can always work as staff if he gets bored of the celeb life :D
Overprotected Kahoko - I'm late for this drama, which is good since the eng subs are all out. Anyway, I love Hajime, very much.
And maybe it's just me, but j-drmas seem to be better at character development than k-dramas.
Chigakusei Nikki - This is one of those dramas that leave you morally guessing yourself when you see it.
Do I support the main characters relationship? NO.
But is the story interesting? Yes.
Beauty Inside - This week's episodes I only watched for Eun-Ho and Sara. The main couple is kinda stuck in a repeating cycle that I got tired of. Hoping at least for a HFN..

Overprotected Kahoko was fantastic! I ignored it for a while, thinking it would be cringey and annoying - and it was, for all of ten minutes! The drama is full of great actors playing great characters - and yes, Hajime is the best of them all! XD

I thought it would be for a fictional princess, that's why I ignored it.
For some weird reason 90% of the drama synopses are different from what the drama really is for me XD..

haha. I hate teacher-student romance action but most of the times i wasn't objectively against any of those shows or movies.
1st of all - they are not in any relationship. Ofcourse, heart is facing the biggest typhoon of life but still they have maintained a order for now and we know story will move to 2018 when he's adult.

Even if a character is adult - i don't support that relationship because it ethically and professionally is wrong. I have no problem if both people involved belong to different school,collage or university.

As i always say jdramas are home cooked delicious nutritious food and kdramas are just fast food.

That's why it's even more interesting. Cause now it moved them in an "even" place. And I'm extremely curious where it will go.
Of course, watching with chi-jp subs cause I can't wait means I lose a lot of context until eng subs are available.

".. jdramas are home cooked delicious nutritious food .." - if you stay away from those awful slasher movies, like Liverleaf :)

Out of curiousity I've checked out Liverleaf. It's a disgusting gore fest. I wonder who can watch this type of movies.

I've found k-dramas very cliché-ridden and therefore boring lately (on my list are/were Heart Surgeons, Room No. 9, Fox Bride Star, The Smile Has Left Your Smile) Especially when I've been watching Sachiiro no One Room and Chigakusei Nikki. Behind these two Japanese dramas pale the currently airing k-dramas. I love controversial stories very much and Japan is very daring regarding this while South-Korea don't break out of their comfort zone. I'm kind of sick and tired of tropes like childhood connection, being orphan, and jerk male lead is healed by the love of heroine.

"It's out of public common sense. Everyone around you is against it. But even so, you still continue even though you're stumbling down. To have that kind of experience is the best, you know." The bisex woman just summarized the essence of controversial and daring stories.

Haraguchi-san is awesome. Right on point bernadett.
Kdramas likes to stay away from controversial but realistic scenarios. Kdramas also have bad habit of wandering into wishful fantasy a lot. Kdrama in wonderland.
I'm still waiting for Sachiiro on one room's 8-9-10.

i doubt japanese netizens are as vile as knetz.. and that can be a good motivating factor

I agree with much of what you say. It seems like lately I have been starting a lot of dramas, but finishing very few. Usually by the the first 2-4 episodes I can predict the ending and most of what will happen in between. It's like I've seen that same story 100 times before. One thing I noticed also is that much of what *IS* "original" k-drama content is picked up from Japanese shows or manga - Mother (Call me Mother) comes to mind.

To your list I would add the endless just plain silly and stupid slapstick - that might have been funny when Charley Chaplin did it, but that was a while back. And it includes the idea that EVERY ace detective HAS to have a totally stupid clueless partner.

I'm curious to know what path will The Smile Has Left Your Eyes follow. Do they choose the predictable 'love save people' and 'second lead becomes the villain' option which don't involve any risk or they dare to plunge into darkness like the original drama?

I agree with you about some/all of the cliche-driven kdramas lately- what originally pulled me in to kdramas was their gift of connecting us emotionally with believable characters. If I wanted to watch shows completely disconnected from real life I'd watch american tv.

So this is why I am also attracted to jdramas. They may pale next to kdramas when it comes to that visceral connection, but they do have a gift for cohesive, thought-provoking storylines, rather than beautifully posed fan service with bizarre set ups.

Matrimonial Chaos ( a jdrama remake) is my current 'must watch'. I'm only 2 episodes into Chigakusei Nikki, but I completely get why it is considered excellent.

My true love is kdramas that feed my soul for a long time past their viewing span; My Ahjussi, Goblin, Misaeng, QIHM, the list goes on....

Chugaksei Nikki is so addictive. The last minute of ep4 was so intense. My feelings are all over the place when I watch this show. Sometimes I am happy but then I realise that he is a 15yr old kid. However from ep6 onwards he is an adult.
Also this show is getting rave reviews in Japan. There were like 1.5 mil views for ep6 trailer in like 3 days. That's way over normal. The online audience is one loving the show.

I can't wait to see him as an adult. I'm always forgetting that he's only 15 years old. He's so passionate and impulsive when it's about his first crush like any other teenage boy. In the drama, they depict his raw feelings of first love very well. His frustration was palpable when Sensei began to avoid him...I'm overwhelmed by emotions, too.

I'm happy someone else watched Kahoko. At the end of the show I really felt like I watched my daughter grow up from a child to a responsible adult. It's kinda surreal in a way.

I really wasn't on board with Japanese dramas because the production value just threw me off, but once I got past that I've been enjoying alot of the shows.

The production value is not the best, but the screenwriters really are talented and at least they try.
K-drama writes all have a template they use for dramas and only the details are different (not that it stops me from watching them..)

Yeah things are more varied, even for the Japanese romance shows. And the relationships have more weight to them. Like you can understand WHY these people like each other. Sometimes in k-dramas it just seem like the characters like each other because the plot said they should.

I'm finally almost caught up with things! As soon as I am, I'm starting Happy If You Died.

Gyeryong Fairytale: Nope. Nope. The CGI takes me out completely. I'll give it another episode, but for now it's too off-putting.

Beauty Inside: Hesitant to start episode ten. On one hand, I'm already aware that it'll be tragic. On the other hand, RAN MI-RAN. What's a girl to do??

Fox Bride Star: I've never quite been completely satisfied with this drama. Right now, I guess it's because the supernatural firstly doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense (although perhaps the writer is holding off explanations of the devices for a reason, not just UNABLE to explain) and secondly because it seems so out-of-place amongst the airport drama. It feels like two shows, each of which I would have loved separately, but that confuse me when jammed together.

Twelve Nights: Beauuutiffuuuulllll~

Review Notebook of My Embarrassing Days: A really sweet romance that's reminiscent of Individualist Ji-young; a little dark and depressing, but hearty. I wish they'd explained a little more about the circumstances behind her divorce, though.

Forgotten Season: SO GOOOD. I actually can't stop thinking about this, and I've been over-analysing it for days now. Bystander effect, criminal psychology, Hamlet, Noryangjin... I recommend this so bad. It's a brutal, unpredictable thriller for very brave people!

The Tuna and the Dolphin: Their chemistry was WASTED on this boring, stereotypical drama. Thank you very much.

I'm behind with nearly everything 😭😭 ... but I managed to check the premiering shows and really liked I'm Happy If You Die (Feel Free To Die or whatever the title is).

The title is quite interesting, actually! There's no pronoun in the tiTle, so it's not "I'm happy if you die", it's "[ ] happy if [ ] die". The webtoon author did that on purpose to make it ambiguous; that way, she could manipulate the story, so that the title could be interpreted from lots of perspectives! XD

Yes! With my basic Korean I understood the title and since then I'm constantly hesitant with any English version I see as I feel like it doesn't give it a justice... plus where is the original rhyming / cadence? 😂

And now you say all that ambiguity is on
purpose by the original writer 😁

I'm going with Happy If You Died - it's so annoying that there's no direct translation that also makes sense in English, but at the very least this title does justice to the main premise of the series 😂

I loved Review Notebook of My Embarassing Days!! I just happened to catch it when it aired and totally didn't know what to expect as I usually would not watch any of the Drama Specials.

The premise is new to me, so that hooked me in but I really came for Park Sung Hoon. I've loved him since first noticing him in Mad Dog, then on Black Knight and kept wishing he would have a meatier role. He is wonderful as a romantic lead and I can't wait to see more of him in the weekend drama My Only One.

BTW, "Forgotten Season" is available with subs on YouTube. https://youtu.be/T2l-llbL2lk

I know, I'd been eagerly waiting for KBS World to sub then for months! XD

My RL is too busy... so keeping it short and writing my two main thoughts of this week:

I hated the writer of Charm for yesterday episode...

...and I actually liked some sides (and points) of the boss in Feel Free To Die...

The 3rd Charm's writer is sadictic. WHY ?!

...and the PD as well with his long shots of the suffering people...

And the S.H.I.T. is again happening to heroine's people...

I will still keep watching because I loved the first 11 eps and still hope the show will get good again...

It seems like Young Jae's life is painted as an utterly mess when Joon Young is not around. As if after her return to South Korea, the only one who can help her is Joon Young. And don't get me started on her friend. Did she have to have an illness ?? I'm waiting for the finale to be about both women's happiness.

Yes, it better be!!!

Was thinking of picking up the 3rd charm but am having second thoughts after seeing all the mixed reviews.

From what I gather, most people prefer the male lead without the female lead but with the second female lead?

Right now I would say wait till the show is over and decide according the ending... I loved the first 11 episodes, but I don't like what the writers do the last two episodes...

And I personally like the female lead and think they could have a happy ending together. It all depends on maturity and communication after all... though I wouldn't mind if they don't end up together.

... just the second female lead rubs me the wrong way recently...

CHUGAKU SEI NIKKI - 9.5 OUT OF 10

I rarely give a show 8.5+ score and usually by 2nd week start to lower their rating but this Japanese Drama for 5 weeks and 5 episodes is scoring 8.5 in my list. RARE. Very Rare Rating Opportunity.

2016 - Nige Haji aka We Married as a Job
2017 - move to 2018
2018 - CHUGA KUSEI NIKKI

@mango @sancheezy @frabbycrabsis @bernadett and all those who actively watch Japanese media.
Tonari no Kaibutsu kun - translated. watching tomorrow.
Liverleaf - not for soft hearts. review https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2018/04/11/films/film-reviews/liverleaf-sadistic-school-bullies-get-comeuppance-bloody-bleak-thriller/
Also try its manga. This is real stuff

2017 - Bokutachi ga Yarimashita
2018 - Sachiiro no one Room

River's Edge - also translated. ah ha.

Chinese - Love off the cliff and Crazy little Thing

I have mostly moved to Japanese dramas and movies. Spending 1 hour on a episode of a drama is a bit too much.

Liverleaf and Crazy Little Thing were on my radar. Thanks ! I'll watch them tonight :D

I'm slowly going back to Japanese dramas and movies to "take a break" from Kdramas.

Tonari an honey and few other shoujo movies - You can't expect good content from shoujo and making a live-action movie out of it much more ridiculous idea. Most fo shoujo writers are female and majority of the audience is female and yet they write Trash romance.
Shoujo literally is low quality trash.

Better move to shounen or seinen or even josei slice-of-life romance.

BAD PAPA - is more a family drama than those so called family dramas of weakend.

Fluttering Love - Hero demands them to not ask personal questions and few scenes late is asking heroine personal questions. We see drama-writers - mostly heroine writers never getting the big break but here in Real life every nonsensical scripts gets its own drama.

When the Time stopped - dropped
The 3rd Charm - Everyone hates heroine. Trash
12 nigths - almost dropped. Writer is a fool.
Big Forest - needs oppa magic for translations.

If the source material itself isn't good and the production team doesn't adapt it well with actors, it applies to any adaptation with no regard of the genre.

Seriously, it's a shame Big Forest hasn't been subbed yet. I might watch it raw for the female lead.

I completely agree with you.
@junah @mango i made that comment regarding shoujo manga in general context. I have tried most of translated shoujo( expect those released in 2017-18) My views come from the time i've spend on shoujo manga.
I always had the view that females have better understanding and knowledge love and romance. Well, shoujo helped me correct my biased assumption.

I don't think any live-action will be able to truly portray a manga in 2 hours. That's why most Josei magazine's manga get live-action dramas these days. Live-action movie is more a commercial bet.

Again by no means i said shounen is better than shoujo. I was specifically taking about romance done in shounen manga where i felt male-mangaka were able to portray it far better than their female counterparts.

I am sorry, but if you ever read it, tonari no kaibutsu kun is great shoujo that has depth in exploring human feeling albeit taking high school as its story background. it's actually considered as slice-of-life anime (so to generalize shoujo is trashy romance is simply insulting and barely true).

it is just sad that the Tonari movie fails (in my opinion) to portray literally every characters in manga, and left out so many details that would have made the movie a little bit more sense. but it is in no way representing the quality of the manga itself.

and please, shounen is not better than shoujo since it's basically shoujo for boys.

I myself prefer shounen or seinen animes to shouju ones.

@catocat—When Cha Woo-hyun asked Yoon Yoo-jung about her father, I didn't see this as evidence of a nonsensical plot.

Rather, isn't it an example of Won-hyun's desire to know Yoo-jung better, despite the contract? He's intrigued by the fact they share a similar childhood trauma.

I've watched Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - it keeps a lot of its original charm thanks to Masaki Suda's brilliance, but it's so extra! XD

I thought Liverleaf was pretty awful. Pretty much your typical Japanese slasher movie - everyone dies.

Ready to Die - when i see annoying kdrama male leads i see some of their qualities as mine. Its is his responsibility to keep such incompetent staff and its more of his responsibility to create good atmoshpahre to get the utmost from his staff.
He's a manager and still doesn't know anything about JOB SATISFACTION. In every management course, you will easily find atleast one chapter specifically reserved for human resources.
I agree with him on some points but he needs to logically see that he's also the centre of the problem.

Totally agree. First I thought he had a point after the allergy accident but when he rejected the responsability on someone else I wanted to see him dead.

The mydramlist page of this show is blowing up. I have been watching jdramas for like almost 5 yrs now. I have never seen so much intense discussion about a particular jdrama in all this time. There was a little for todome no kiss at the beginning of the year but not to this level.
Chugaksei Nikki is hitting the nail in all the right places. It's so good when so many people are watching the show together with you and are actively sharing their views too. I love Japan for making such intense emotional shows. You don't get this in America or Korea. Korean dramas are good but they rarely go deep.

Yes PO. I'm also active there.
Chugaku Sei Nikki is able to reach audience heart and that's why its being reaching new peaks every week.

Episode 06 ratinsg will tell us how much the show has grown but episode 06 views on youtube are huge.

Where do you stream Chugakusei Nikki?

google AOIHACHI(He/she has both twitter and livejournal) for translation. (also can check D-addicts from translation)
download episodes from site J-raws or bagiguy.
There are dozen illegal sites where you can find episodes.

You can also join us viewers on Mydramalist page

Thanks! I found it on Kissasian and J-raws indeed and I am already at episode 4. This is going my crack drama!

- Completed -

2018 KBS Drama Special: Review Notebook of My Embarrassing Days starring Jeon So Min and Park Sung Hoon is a cute rom-com. There's no need to dive deep in the plot because it's a no-brain watch. Just pure fun.

The Tuna and the Dolphin starring Yoon Park and Park Gyu Yong (Joon Young's sister in The Third Charm). It was a cute story, good enough for an one hour episode.

It's Okay to be Sensitive: It's a 12 episodes webdrama on Studio Onstyle's youtube channel. We follow a female college student and her friends who deal with sexual harrasment on various occasions (college, work, relationships). It was good to watch a show telling people they were not at fault for thinking is wrong when other people don't seem bother by it.

My Little Monster: Jmovie starring Masaki Suda and Tao Tsuchiya. I remember watching the anime a longtime ago so some scenes felt really familliar and were satisfying. It was good that the hero's extravagent personnality was a bit turned down. It was already hard to believe in the anime so for the live-action it was a good decision.

Revenge Girl: This movie is Kiritani Mirei's show and I'm not complaining. It's a nice watch when you're bored and want to have a good time.

The Great Battle: Historical Kmovie starring Jo In Sung, Park Sung Woo, Nam Joo Hyuk. The movie screams big budget but I wasn't personnally invested in the plot. Even if there were a good few characters, something felt off.

Warriors of the Dawn: Historical Kmovie starring Lee Jung Jae, Yeo Jin Goo, Kim Moo Yul. It feels like ages since I've seen Bae Soo Bin. The story was more about the people than the political aspect. Daerib forces will always be in my heart and they made this movie worth to watch.

- Currently watching -

Bad Papa: Now that Ji Cheol and his family are happy together it leaves the pills storyline and Min Woo's defeat to conclude. Daughter's competiton is still present but it seems like whatever the outcome it will end up being about reconciling with her rival and keeping chase her dream.

Dae Jang Geum is Watching: The couple imaginary scenarios with San Hae and Seung Ah were hilarious !

Fluttering Warning: This show received quite bad responses due to its premiere and personally I was neutral. But this week's episodes made me certain that I liked the main couple. How sweet they are together when they're not even dating officially.

Happy to Die: The team leader is a real jerk. I hope to see more ridiculous deaths !

Hide and Seek: Almost all of my energy is gone. So Secretary Kim has something up her sleeves and Chae Rin is going back to this horrible family ? Please, give her and viewers a break.

Matrimonial Chaos: Seeing Jang Hyun suffer and sobbing was so good. Not just because he deserves it as a cheater but also he needs a reality check. A story that happened in highschool can...

(continue)

A story that happened in highschool can traumatize someone but it isn't enough to lead to cheating.

Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter: Err... I went into it with no expectation and it doesn't appeal to me. Coming from tvn, I'm surprised to see the low quality CGI (such a scary cat !). The story of the fairy and her presumed reincarnated husband doesn't interet me so far. I will wait for it to be completed before deciding to pick it up later. And finally, Seo Moon's sister announced she wanted to divorce ehr husband ! Yes ! It was nice to see her son with Hwi Roo and Mi Roo. His parents divorce might actually be benefic for him, (I hope) he will see his mother happier so he won't be a "bad kid" anymore.

Manpuku: The whole family left Osaka because of air raids by the US forces. Fukuko, her husband an her mother went to the countryside. It was bound to happen that even some parts of the countryside could be bombarded. Manpei who got the draft notice twice and was too sick to enlist will probably find a way to serve the country. He's an inventor after all, like Fukuko said.

Miss Ma, Nemesis: Lee Jung Hee died and I won't miss this character. The real Miss Ma got back and I can't wait to know what will happen.

Player: So every member of the team is related to the case ! I don't think there will be deaths but I still cross my fingers >_<

Prison Playbook: ep 10. I'm attached to each prisoner, that's crazy. Min Chul might be my favorite. He's such a teddy bear !

Room No.9: Okay, so Hwa Sa and Hae Yi got their bodies back. HS got out of jail on parole (I didn't understand how because she wasn't supposed to be able to) and HY got arrested for Chairman Ma's murder. I can't understand Yoo Jin's love for HS while she even lied to him when he helped her swapping bodies. Chan Sung is one dangerous kid. He's more frightening than his father.

Terius Behind Me: I missed Joon-Joon so much this week even if the humor was still present.

The Beauty Inside: Do Jae drinking with friends is a whole concept that I never thought I needed. And the siblings ! Can we get the siblings, Se Gye and her friends around a table just having a good time. The storyline ? What is that ?

The Smile Has Left Your Eyes: My biggest fear came true. Jin Gook hurt Moo Young and by extension hurt Jin Kang. It feels like the puzzle is slowly getting complete.

The Third Charm: The shows takes a perverted pleasure into making Young Jae and Joo Ra suffer. Why can't they go on happily with their lives ?

Top Management: ep 1. So far, it's good and fun. I like the female lead. She appears in quite a lot of dramas but her name doesn't stay in my mind.

I raise white flag.I can't compete with power name Mango. hehe. well, i will leave this place by mid 2019 as i have a big goal to achieve in 2020. So, yeah, YOU are the real king of asian drama world.

Fluttering - The show is trash but our hero-heroine are the ones trying to make it go forward as much possible.

Noooo don't leave us XD

I can smell frustrating characters aka Woo Hyun's family and the second female lead coming but fastforwarding is my bf in this case.

I just noticed I wrote a part of my comment about Matrimonial Chaos in Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter's part XD

❤️ @mango Imma use you as my review guide on what to watch.

Will definitely check out It's Okay to be Sensitive

Aww that's a real honor :3

I hope you will enjoy this webdrama :D

Wow...I thought I was watching lots of dramas but you really are my sunbae in this...how do you do it?

Be a broken student who procrastinates lol

Hahhh.....but I have to say that's one hell of a long procrastination....

Happy if you died- The death scenes are hilarious and progressively more and more unbelievable (sudden death in his 40's? I know not funny, but in the context...). But some parts feel disjointed to me. They never showed how he survived the dinner after our heroine's outburst. I wanted to see the process of her successfully saving him (unwittingly, when she didn't even want to).
terius behind me- now that the team has gathered, I'm excited for the final showdown. I'm pretty sure who's the mole in NIS, but we'll see. Also would love it if KIS joint hands with NIS.

About Happy if You Died, at the end of ep 1-2, I think the only reason she let herself even have that outburst was because, at that point, she'd been reliving the day over and over and had become convinced she couldn't escape from it. Her narration explains at the end that she thought there'd be no tomorrow so none of this would matter. I think she likely gave up on trying to save him that night. Admittedly, the show didn't take us through how he survived, but I kind of inferred that it was because the heroine had finally lived the day how she should have, venting her frustrations at him and looking out for her team members. I'm encouraged by the fact that the heroine is still attempting to reason through why exactly all this is happening, the more it doesn't make sense or things don't resolve the way she expects them to. She keeps everything grounded for me. By the end of ep 4, she seems to conclude that she needs to change his character to truly save him and break the time loop curse or whatever this is? The show is crazy, but so far I'm pretty happy with the execution.

I want KIS to flush out the mole for NIS!

"The Smile Has Left Your Eyes": ah, we're getting closer to the truth of Moo-young's past. Jin-gook is getting so much worried. But the whole two episodes I'd just thought Jin-gook is selfish regardless his reasons.

"Twelve Nights": Oh, I JUST LOVE IT! I love its phase, the story, the characters. I feel like watching "Before Trilogy" again.

Jin-kook is the true villain of the show 😠😠😠

I watch KBS drama special that starring Jun So Min and the other one "innocent...." Something. I forgot the title, but I like both of them so far. It's simple, not many conflict, easy to watch, and memorable.

For the drama, I watch fox bride star (seriously, both of them are so adorable), beauty inside (how can I gef a man like Lee Min Ki??), 100million (Seo In Guk 😍😍😍).
I also watch Running man when the guests are D.O and Jo Jung Suk. D.O is so adorable, and it prive that when he is around someone close to him, he would be silly and cute. D.O always do anything so well, even thought that's his first time. I really miss to see Exo in any variety show. Glad to hear that Baelkand Sehun appear at Happy Together.

This week time was tight. Didn’t get to catch up on HMS - guess s*** hit the ceiling fan this week. Will know this weekend

Caught up with Matrimonial chaos, which is my favorite show now. SeokWoo is really growing on me. I love his top 10 animal list. I want to make my own list too :))

Also watched Love Alert on Ff mode. Watching it just for the leads. They are nice and behave like adults. His mother is the worst of the lot.

His animal list is hilarious, with the emu at #1. 😂

Because it's cute.

there's so many shows airing... but i'm falling into a drama slump currently. right now, none of them give them the perfect amount of substance, good writing and emotional depth to keep me going (but then again my standards are very high).

tried Terius, and I think it's the most digestable so far but I don't have enough motivation to put myself through another episode of trying not to fuss over the spyplotholes.

I think Happy to Die might save me, but I did something really dumb and spoiled the ending for myself. I kind of had the same reaction as when I read the ending for Hundred Million Stars.

Mama Fairy is the most entertaining! just waiting for the next episode but I don't really have high expectations for this.

either ways, I felt there hasn't been a good drama since My Ahjussi and Let's Eat. kinda sad, since it's my holiday and I really need some meaningful entertainment to get me through this bore :< i guess it's a sign for me to take my eyes off the virtual screen and focus on improving the main character of my reality, me.

Terius is what I like to think of as an unapologetic pleasure. Those plot holes that are apparently messing with you are usually fun for me. (Hey, he's back in that super cool sports car he left on that bridge in last weeks cliffhanger... tee hee.)

I feel like people are taking Terius way too seriously. Spy shows rarely make sense and I feel like it's lack of sense is gleefully deliberate.
I admit I had constructed a mental plot that made more sense to me but I'm not annoyed about the holes and inconsistencies. The show is just so much fun.

Hundred Million Stars from the Sky: Jin-kook has all but moved past the stage of forgiveness for mine. Stabbing Moo-young? I mean if Jin-kang and Moo-young are siblings and he has known it all this time but hasn't said a thing... just tell them!

And even after ep 12 things still aren't clear. Moo-young's real name is Kang Sung Ho but that doesn't mean they aren't siblings because as we know Jin-kang had her surname changed so that it would be the same as Jin-kook's.

Also, they had a lovely duet in this OST that has played in the last 3 eps. Love it 😘😘😘

youtube.com/watch?v=_AtEYYf-iug

Jin kang...maybe Jin kook kept her family name, Kang.

yes, i just heard it in my recommendation. SIG surprisingly has good and soothing voice.

He was a singer before he was an actor.

He’s a professional singer, he actually became an actor later.

I listened to his voice n my heart melted. Ughh, like I wasn’t already in love with this amazing guy🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

Currently watching:
Where Stars Land: The airport shenanigans are kind of boring me now so I'm just watching for the cute scenes between the main couple. The elevator scene when YR reaches for his hand and laces her fingers into his was so romantic, it made my heart flutter. At least now he realizes that she doesn't care that he's different and likes him regardless. Looking forward to the next episode!
Terius Behind Me: Streamed the last two episodes but have yet to watch them with subs. Even though I didn't understand much, "Seductive" Bon with the lethal combination of Careless Whisper and slo mo had me gasping with laughter.

a million stars Those many many many sweet moments. The long stare on the lake before MY ask JK to sleep together, the gentle strike on the hair when MY give permission JK to go. I swear what PD throw here is just cruel, too cruel. It's like giving the calm before the storm. four more episodes to go, my heart's still not ready.
my little monster / tonari no kaibutsu-kun live action i'll stick with manga and anime. and hoping they will go with drama series. it will do justice to amazing characters in this story which movie fail to capture the magic of it.

1 little of tears just revisit eps1 this morning. how can they don't make this kind of jdrama anymore ? nobuta wo produce, 1 little of tears, under the same roof, tokyo love story ,any of old takuya dramas in 90s are so well written. now jdrama seems to exaggerate everything and so typical, it is just hard to relate with them anymore.

Hundred Million Stars is breaking my heart, and hurtling toward an ending that I don't want to happen, but I think that it is, and my heart will be broken in that final episode.

I think the ending will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Let's all cry together during the ending please. Seriously tho, I might need a support group huhuu

Where should I sign up?
My eyes know what they are going to go through. HELL!

count me in.

Drama world was super busy whilst I was gone. So many options! ^_^

Finished:
Guest Fantastic. I loved it all the way through and it’s definietly one of OCNs best if not the best horror kdrama. The directing and cinematography was spooky yet almost noir-like, the acting (I keep saying this) was incredible- including the chilling, hair raising cameos and the trio were fantastic. It wasn’t just that though, the plot was solid and never really meandered or lost too much focus. I loved the moments of laughter, the sidekicks, the burgeoning friendship and the high octane suspense throughout. The last episode was a little lackluster in comparison but still pumping. Desperate water drinking will haunt me for a while.

Started:

12 Nights I’m loving the softness of the drama. The way it just flows and takes us along the journey. It seems very indie like and I’m already rooting for the couple. So cute! The father-kid storyline is also heart tugging so yay for more marshmallow-ness.

Goodbye to Goodbye I started this on a whim because I needed something to watch before sleeping and this drama had the perfect darkness ratio palette which made it ideal to watch in my room during the night without getting serious eye glare. Initially my frustrations were high and it still is regarding the ass of a husband/provider/father but I’m relishing in how character driven the drama is and I’m waiting to see if redemption is on the horizon.

To watch: Every other drama that I missed. T_T

I loved Goodbye to goodbye! First half is anger-inducing but the second half made me emotional. My favorite was the womance between JungHyo and her future mother in law.

I guess I’m still in the anger inducing part then ^_^ I’m waiting for the MIL to come around and start sheltering JH

Beauty Inside I didn't watch the last episodes. I agree with @javabeans about Why Secratary Kim and this drama, the couples are really good but all the stuff around tends to become boring. I like lovey-dovey couple but I need more in a drama.

Fox Bride Star The couple is really cute but there are other stuff that make me interested in the story. But it will better if they show more professionalism in this airport...

Hundred Million Stars From the Sky So much emotions and questions for this one.

The Guest It was a good drama. I loved the trio and the story let a lof of blurred zones but it doesn't matter, it was a non realistic drama in the first place :P

Mama Fairy Not sure what to think. I need more time to make an opinion.

Third Charm I'm curious about the third part now.

100M Stars : I’m impatient for the grand finale, enjoy the cast and their performances.
matrimonial chaos: Going along. Shame that I pretty much know how this show ends too.
Woodcutter Fairy : Didn’t last five minutes.
Martial Universe: Wth ending . Enjoyed the show and the characters
Story of Yanxi Palace is ready, yay !

There’s a second of Martial Universe, did you watch it too?

Yes, the 2nd part , the ending was ambiguous 😐

(That should second season*)
Did Lin Dong and the whiny girl end up together? I didn’t watch the second season because of her, she’s so loud and screechy in season 1.

Yes, and no. They lead you believe that they will be together but in a lame way. She was shot in BlurryVision, so it may have been a dream or yet to materialize.

Cdramas and their sometimes strange endings! -_- Legend of YunXi has the same bizarre ending.

Also watched episode 1 of Boys Over Flowers.
Watched another episode of Father Is Strange, but seeing Jung So Min getting smoochy in one show and bullied in the other, I have to leave FIS for the time being.

Hang in there on Father is Strange- The character arc on the bully is fabulous- You hate her now (with good reason) but just wait and see what happens with her- and how you will see her by the end of the show.

I'm having the opposite problem. It wasn't until like episode 6 that the "bully" was actually a bully and didn't get why Jung So Min's character was still hung up from high school. I still don't, but at least the "bully" did some bullying to make me feel kind of feel sorry for JSM.

If you are up to episode six then you are just about to get the first curve ball from the bully. One that starts the first great twist in the whole story.

Oh, and if someone is possessed, get them in the bath tub or drown them in the ocean and no knives for them either🔪 Park Il Do !

The Guest - I hate to admit that I was kind of disappointed with the finale.

Hundred Million Stars - I have way too much to say about this weeks episodes so i'll wait for the recaps but Jin Kook is psychotic and manipulative and i'm absolutely sick of him. You spend so much time calling someone evil and the devil and then go and stab him because that makes sense?? Ridiculous.

Happy To Die - Having the same evil boss as Jugglers is a bit much for me but I really did enjoy these first 2 episodes. Gong Myung is adorable. I will say though that I really don't want the leads to date i'm not feeling that at all.

Fox Bride Star - I'm still enjoying this despite having to skip all In Woo scenes. But, we're way too far into this show for the prosthetics to still be such a mystery. There's also no reason for Soo-Yeon to still be at the airport now that he knows both that he is a danger there and that Yeorum likes him and will still date him even if he leaves. I just want the story to move...

Beauty Inside - I'm starting to lose interest. I agree that this feels like Secretary Kim in the sense that I just feel like I'm watching a live action fanfic.

at hundred million stars , exactly my thought. JG starts to irritate me. like in what way that will protect your sister? at most, it seems that he wants to get rid of MY so bad because he feel insecure about his own sin, and that MY will open the dark secret of his past.

It looks like that he’s more afraid of revealing his dark secrets than afraid of JK and MY committing the sin for which I absolutely detest him.

Loving Matrimonial Chaos. So happy that the show did not disappoint me since I love the leads. In fact, all the characters have depths. Btw, isn't Cha Tae Hyun's character similar to his Producers character?

Beauty Inside is mostly fluff to me although Mum scenes are quite heart-wrenching. Our OTP makes me giggling as much as the OTP from Queen In Hyun's Man. Plus, Ahn Jae Hyun is soo swoony. It is refreshing to see the girl is playing hard to get and the guy is the one chasing after the woman. And it doesn't hurt that I think he is like that with Goo Hye Sun. Hehehe.

Journey to the West 5 & 6. The Hong Kong trip was a hit & miss for me. There are funny moments but I guess they building the rapport with PO. P.O is a great addition to the team with his rapport with Mino and his terrific reaction/expression. In fact, I am watching Great Escape, a variety show with Kang Ho Dong & PO and I am pretty sure PO got cast due to his reactions.😂 Anyway, looking forward to the next episode for the trouble PD Na got himself into. I hope it will lead to Kang's Kitchen's season 2. Hehehe.

I forgot to mention that in Beauty Inside, I find that the drama is exaggerating the face blindness condition. Correct me if I'm wrong or being insensitive but I feel the condition is not that bad. I'm sure there are difficulties in recognising people but if he just let people know, I'm sure most will understand and help him. I don't really see how the condition affects his ability to lead or being a CEO.

I'm also watching NJTTW and loving it. I'm also hoping Na PD gives us another spinoff. New crazy and old crazy are hilarious and Kang Ho-dong and Soo-geun are bringing it like always. Mino and PO are stealing the show and putting friendship goals out there.
I also started Great Escape because it's finally getting subbed and I about burst something laughing at the zombie episodes. I would be so scared as well, but I can't help but laugh at them. I'm taking my time with the ghost eps because I just can't, I don't mess with things like that, but it's just as funny.

PD Na and crew have a good knack in picking up the members and bringing out the chemistry. I think he made the new members comfortable and puts no pressure on them. Although I'm sure there are various reasons, I am a little disappointed that Seunggi didn't join them this season.

Great Escape have been my new favourite variety. The zombie episodes were hilarious. All the cast members are great. But I think Kim Jongmin is restraining himself. He was never scared of ghosts so I would think he have no problems opening the doors.

I also wanted Seunggi back, but he has branched off and is leading his own group with Master in the House, which I'm enjoying very much. So, I am happy for him, but I do hope he does something again with Na PD.

I agree that Jongmin is restraining himself. Out of all of them, he seems a little less scared, but who knows maybe the group mentality was strong and he ran with it. Talking about Jongmin, can't help but feel happy and a little proud when he does something to get them closer to exiting since it is an individual game an all, lol.

Feel Good to Die's episode 1 is so good! xDDDD

Where Stars Land set a more contemplative and quiet tone for this week's stories except for that unnecessarily dramatic cliffhanger (which I really hope will be resolved satisfyingly in the next eps). While 100 Million Stars brought all the heartrending melo stuff and the bad kind of crazy (I still feel like screaming bloody murder at Jin-kook). And it seems like I found a good dark comedy to balance my week's drama consumption with Feel Good to Die. Life is good. *content sigh*

Finally, I have decided to drop Where Stars Land after watching this week's episodes. I just keep loosing interest.

I started watching My Ahjussi last Saturday. I finished it today. It is really good! Almost all characters are well written. It is now among my top 5 dramas.

We don't like people misjudging us, but we tend to judge people like we know everything. Judging people does not really define who they are, it may define who we are.

I feel bad and hurt to watch well written stories of the characters, and the drama also comfort me at the ending "you are decent people".

It is now one of my top 5 dramas, along with Prison Playbook, Signal, Forest of Secrets and Misaeng. All of them are tvN dramas after I decide to kick Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim out of the list.

It really deserved to win daesang in Seoul Awards last month.

So glad you enjoyed watching My Ahjussi! And yes I agree with you about the awards. I feel like more people need to recognize the gem that's called My Ahjussi.

There are abundant of lessons about life that can be listed endlessly, about family, brotherhood, social circle, society, meaning of happiness etc.

Happiness is expressed in so various ways and perspectives, whether it's giving up the world like Sang-Won, sharing hardships like the community in the neighborhood.

The stories of the three brothers are really deep and well-written. Despite their distinct personality, they really understand each other.

I also how we’re given some background to Kwang-Il, Ji-an and Ki-bum relationship, that Kwang Il used to like Ji An, getting hit by his own father when he stood up for her. Dong Hoon really put it clearly. Because of one bad adult, they were hurt so badly. Because of his feelings towards her and his father was bad, he has lots of inner conflicts after she killer his father. This may not justify Kwang-Il’s subsequent actions in abusing Ji-an, but just like Dong-hoon said about Ji-an's, he may also killed Kwang-Il's father if he was her.

The OST, cinematography, dialogues, monologues, acting and directing is almost perfect.

There is no perfect ending but it shows that life does get better when you work for it and live with no malice in your heart. Final scene with both of them meeting again during the day with smile really heartwarming.

It really gives me feels like I am not mere watching them, but interacting too. This drama will definitely remain in my memory, and of course I will re-watch it again when I feels like forgetting it.

"I have been spending hours to read viewers' review from various sites to learn something that I may miss during watching, while listening the OST album."

So glad you enjoyed My Ajusshi. I'm still not over that drama. Have you visited the fan site yet?

My Secret Terius: 8/10 One of these days a baddie is going to watch some kdramas and figure out that he should just destroy incriminating USBs instead of keeping them at his house.

Mama Fairy & Woodcutter: 8/10 The way the fairy changes appearance and the guy recognizes her -- it's Beauty Inside, Fairy Edition.

Happy to Die: 9/10 Unpredictable and fun. Brilliant start but showing signs of possibly veering towards the office kdrama, office politics norm, We'll see. But how many of the people who worked on this show have had those kinds of experiences with their bosses? How does the PD treat the staff?

The Beauty Inside: 6/10 Plans and secrets are coming unravelled like kdrama plot threads. It's kinda good, but after Happy/Woodcutter/Terius it seems slow and bland.

Fox Bride Star / Where Stars Land: 4/10
Ep 8: Mostly unpleasant people acting unpleasant and making an unpleasant episode. Better at the end.
Ep 9: Ok until the end. The contrived malfunctions and extreme magnetism were just too hard to believe.

Lovely Horribly: ep 11 Always a mistake to jump back in at the middle after being away for about 6 weeks.

@lordcobol I'd really not recommend giving your time to Lovely Horribly.

LOL your description of Terius - I rolled my eyes so hard, ... and of Mama Fairy - quite apt. 😁

I'm starting Happy to Die next week, when I can binge the first four episodes. The trailers make me cackle and it looks like delicious fun.

The Guest - It ended ... and rather sweetly I felt for a horror show. *wistful sigh* I'd like a lot more of our intrepid trio in a mix of scenes where they hang out together, solve unexplainable crimes together (with Det Go) and visit grandpa. I'm not sure that after all the horrors they've been through, they could settle into normal family life, but I'd like to imagine them together for the long term.

As a show itself, it really was a pretty good horror show, without going all out gory or ugly-scary. It had great angst and suspense, but great warm moments and good humour as well. I still found the lighting rather on the dark side and that it was hard to see some scenes, but like @odilettante says, it was effective in hiding the really horrible things, and just left it to our imagination. I also felt that the lack of lighting was a statement on how so many characters chose the darker route and gave in to the darkness within them, rather than embrace the light.

The epic scenes for me were the exorcisms, which looked rather true-to-life, although I've never witnessed one. While I watched in horrified fascination, I also felt a certain hope, and much positive vibes. I loved how a show about demons taking over souls ended up giving me an upbeat perspective, about fighting the good fight, and never giving up. This is one show, plot holes and all, I'd recommend.

Fox Bride Star - This show is great in marrying the many sub-plots and episodic sub-dramas against the background of the over-arcing mystery of Soo Yeon and his need to accept his reality. It remains fascinating and compelling, a great turn in perspective for me when before I'd wondered if I was up to watching mere airport shenanigans.

Terius - I really like the pace of this show, the KIS and King's Bag characters and the cinematography. This is such a bright, pleasant watch. It's also lots of fun to poke at all the ridiculous bad guy and spy stuff. Suspense has amped up a bit now that infiltration into bad guy territory is underway. And now we even have added anticipation over whether we get 2 couples instead of 1, while waiting to see if we guessed correctly who the mole is.

Hundred Million Stars From the Sky - Intriguing, tragic. Watching with many sighs. Cannot look away.

12 Nights - It's a long, hard wait for the one episode a week. We need to be as patient as the couple who don't even know how to contact each other, possibly over the next 8 episodes!!! But it's still a gentle, arty, moody show to relax with, as we hope the OTP find themselves and each other more quickly.

Fluttering Alert - I really want to keep watching this. It's supposed to be a nice fluffy break from RL and serious shows. However that means I'll just have to stomach watching what looks like a weekend soap opera (in production value) and soap opera style chaebol machinations to block and pull the rug out from under the OTP at every turn. I...

... from under the OTP at every turn. I was hoping that we'd get a lot more genuine couple sweetness by Ep 4, but that's not really happening properly yet.

Mama Fairy - It looks enchanting and enchanted, but what bothers me is that it looks too fairytale-like. I felt that I'd made a mistake and was watching a kid's show, in that nothing was to be taken seriously and nothing bad would ever happen, because it was meant to be safe. 😄

Mama Fairy is based upon an actual fairy tale- but the writers have already changed it a lot- and it is supposed to be really light hearted.

@oldlawyer I do like fairytales. The fairytale look in itself is fine if it's whimsical, but this show has made it kind of childish and campy in style, that spoils what I'd imagine should be a more poignant mood for fairy's finally finding husband, especially since fairy herself is playing her part with a degree of seriousness. It's like it's a bit of a joke for everyone else, including 'husband' but not for the fairy who is the main character.

I see your point- and it is a good one. Lets us hope that the director and actors clear this up soon. Because you are right about the female lead (or leads? since two actresses are playing the young/old version of the same character? but it is the younger actress that you are referring to)

@oldawyer
Thinking about the 2 actresses, I see them both displaying the same degree of earnestness in trying to achieve their goal. There is a weight to their great longing to be reconciled with a loved one. However aside from the sweet Kim Geum, practically everyone else comes across as a little fatuous.

I feel the show should decide the way it wants to go.
1) My preference is for a magical, whimsical fairytale ie based on the starting credits and the scene of the fairies in the water, show could have continued in the same vein. Husband seemed to have been dreaming of the fairies. Show could have gotten him on board with discovering why he keeps seeing a particular fairy in his dreams and discover his past life.
or
2) Show should go all out zany, with loads of hijinks in husband and wife refusing to believe each other and trying to compete to prove their point.
or
3) Show could have gone with a more thoughtful and sentimental touch. He had trouble sleeping, and on finding fairy's coffee which gave him a good sleep, he decides to be around her more and so their relationship re-develops.

But I'll watch it as it is and see where it goes. 😉

I was in search of something fluffy and have been completely captivated by Fluttering Alert. (My favorite machine-translated title is Tingling Advisory.) I don't disagree with a lot of the production criticism but it's far from shambolic. Given that contract relationships are my catnip, I'm always curious to see how the story transforms an old kdrama trope.

The warmth and kindness expressed by Yoon Eun-hye and Chun Jung-myung elevate this story. They're so lovely together. Both actors are new to me and I've cued up their classics to watch later. Yoon Eun-hye is so frickin' adorable I want to put her in my pocket! And Chung Jung-myung is kind of punkin-headed but is so charming that he gets better looking the more I look at him. Plus, he has a beautiful voice.

Like you, makjang machinations make me queasy but I'll tolerate them as long as the OTP relationship continues to sparkle.

I can't wait to start this one. All other rom-coms leads these days are annoying the heck out of me, either because I've already seen the leads in other dramas and they were way better there or I am just getting fatigued by seeing them too often. So I figured since I haven't seen Chun Jung Myung in anything and it's been a while since I've seen Yoon Eun Hye which I adore, it should be at least watchable.

Who knew that just being generally decent could subvert the usual tropes? And Yoon Eun Hye—I don't think I've ever fallen for a kdrama actress this fast and this hard. Could she be any more adorable? She's killing me.

watching generally decent people is my new catnip

You have to watch Heart to Heart for Chun Jung Myung! It's one of my favourite drama with him :)

Thanks @kurama, I've just added that to mydramalist!

@tsutsuloo LOL Tingling Advisory!!! That'll be my new way of referring to this show.

I was comforting myself, that despite the way it looks, at least there are not going to be 20-50 episodes of it. Yes as long as their relationship becomes and stays great, I'll probably watch it til the end, regardless of my grumbles.

I am enjoying Fluttering alert- even more so since I have now watched all 4 episodes that are currently available- at first I thought it would be just a fluffy rom-com but now I am seeing potential for some serious back story mystery: For instance the main male lead believes that his own father tried to have him killed when he was only ten years old. I highly doubt this- I have a working hypothesis as to Who Dunit, and think that said wicked person 'framed' President Cha for it- just as his prospective daughter in law 'framed' him for our main lead losing his contract at the prestigious clinic: A classic case of Foreshadowing.

Even better- we have not one but three Wicked Women in this story- and one of them is our main lead's mother. We have some good women as well, but let us face it- it is the Wicked Women who give us the best drama.

Fluttering Alert may end up being the best contract relationship rom-com since Because This Is Our First Life.

@oldawyer I'm glad you're enjoying Fluttering Alert or rather 😈 Tingling Advisory! Just for the change in title, I'd watch this show!!. 😂

I missed that part about Cha Woo Hyun thinking his father wanted him dead. Usually sons (and even daughters, regardless of whom their mums are) are still useful to the family who puts them on the family register for future 'use'. They are not likely to get offed, since at a pinch (like in the present case) they can be 'made' to contract great marriages to increase prestige and wealth for the family.

I do agree about the being framed part. Father is being rather lenient in taking on the blame for stuff he did not do. Did he even protest his innocence over wanting to kill Woo Hyun?

Of the wicked females, I actually like the step-mother best. She's upfront about hating and engineering circumstances to keep Woo Hyun out. I'd have really liked it if he had agreed to team up with her to stay out of the family conspiracies.

All these plots and counter-plots make the show feel even more like a weekend drama to me. It's not that I won't enjoy it, but that I've to change my expectations, after seeing the great visuals of other shows like Terius. 😉

The remark asserting the diabolical attempt to do him in is made by Woo Hyun when he is talking to his father in the fourth episode. And your reasoning as to why it is highly unlikely to be true is exactly what I was thinking when I realized that father had probably been 'framed'. My next thought was this- who would have a motive? How about a stepmother who blames the eclipse of her own son upon the mere existence of Woo Hyun? Instead of acknowledging that her son was screwing up all on his own?

And you are right- This is beginning to have some of that weekend family drama feel. That feel was certainly there when we discovered that the whole idea that Woo Hyun should marry Kang Hye-joo was apparently Kang Hye-Joo's idea- after she overheard him talking to his mom on the phone.

I love how you’ve aptly described both 12 nights and Guest. They’re both such great shows! I need more episodes of 12 nights though. One per week keeps me on my toes.

I just watched Ep 5 of 12 Nights - That was a somewhat painful watch, and I'm a little down after that 1 hour plus. After 5 years and on the 5th night, there was nothing much, except memories and emotions, and missed opportunities and time passing by.

I'm thinking the greater pain came from the cringeworthy attempts to act from Cha Hyun Woo's friends. They just looked so out of place, obviously trying to figure out what to do next for each part of their scenes. I was wondering why there were no 'real' actors to play their roles.

The other part of the pain - too many flashbacks and repeated ones. These were to show that our couple were remembering, over and over again their times together, but the preview had also shown us the same scenes just minutes earlier!

As is true to life, our main characters may have moved on, but they are kinda lost again. They lost each other, and maybe their drive to keep pursuing their original 'dreams/loves' as well.

It was not unexpected, but still affecting to see that Chan had grown to become a bitter 17-year old, and his father still none the wiser about how to relate to him. And it looks like even Koo Wol who used to write, has given it up for an office job, if he could get hired.

As for the rest, it was still beautifully shot and the music was great. The emotional level was high, as the OTP just thought about each other, while doing nothing to try to connect, until the very end. Perhaps Yoo Kyung's job quest to sign the contract with her old teacher, especially if it fails, will bring her back to figuring out where she is truly happy. But in the mean time, it was hard to watch. 😒

More like what I am reading.

The Guest: bad guys got away in the end but at least the trio lived. Be happy from now on you 3 ! T.T

TBI : sad, cliffhanger.

3rd charm: from bubbly to 3 layers of darkness real quick. These people need therapy.

Fox bride star: lagging behind

My secret Terius: hmm...well reading the recaps is still interesting. Go defeat the bad guys dear OTP!

Mama fairy & woodcutter: whacky start, seems fun XD

Hundred Million Stars I was captivated by this show from the beginning, but now somehow it has began to bore me. Maybe the pace is too slow and nothing much is happening?

Bad PapaLove the way Yong-dae is genuinely concerned about Ji-cheol. But I think JC will die in the end though.

La la la la I can't hear you. I don't want JC to die. I think it's a possibility, but I could also see JC losing everything again but the family pulling through because of the lessons they've learned.

I think that's what's gonna happen too. .___. And Sun-joo will write a book about his life.

Nooooo! I hope that's not where they are heading. I've been super busy and am behind a week or more worth of episodes. JC is such a great character and would hate for him to have a tragic ending.

@prettysup,

Re: BAD PAPA, your postulated ending has occurred to me, too. Maybe I'm just paranoid after having worked in product marketing at a pharmaceutical company. I really don't want it to turn into OLD GOODBYE, dang it.

Currently watching:
100 million stars
Terrius behind me
Fox bride star (one episode behind)
God's quiz (completed first 2 seasons)
Manifest (English drama)
Planning to watch Happy to die

After being constantly run over by SUV PPL in The Ghost Detective's bad plot and ending, I have gone from slump to drought. I have passed on Matrimonial Chaos because the characters were unappealing; Happy to Die because nothing can beat deja vu comedy than "Groundhog's Day,"; and Mama Fairy/Woodcutter because the main characters were annoying.

I went to my bookshelf and found a copy of the 2005 French miniseries, DOLMEN. I caught this show halfway through in 2013 when it aired in the US. It is a complex murder mystery story set in a small island village. I will rewatch this series until something new comes along.