Open Thread #581

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Sorry for raving long about my current favourite (and an all-time favourite indeed whatever the ending might be) but I'm so into Chugakusei Nikki that I can't get it out my head. In terms of dramaturgy the drama is exceptional. The side characters encourage them or hinder them. I like the way the events follow each other and build up to the climax. At the end of the episode 8 the role is reversed. This time Sensei hopped on her bike and rushed to see Akira. The question is, will the protagonists win or lose against the antagonists (all those who objects to their love and literally stand in the way of them)?

They all withhold information about Sensei from Akira, but to no avail. Ha ha. He just dropped everything and rushed to meet Sensei.

Akira's friend asked him about his feelings for Iwasaki: "What kind of 'like' is it?" "I don't have to see the scary side of me." You can tell the difference between the two kind of "like". One feeling is comfortable, the other makes you lose your mind.

Haraguchi-san never ceased to be cool, being herself and not caring how other people view what she say or do. She has quite a wealth of words of wisdom and originality.

"When you fall in love with someone, there's no right or wrong. Whether it's a real thing, or it's a destiny, whatever it is. That's not important. You just simply fall in love. You are drawn to that person and there's no way out of it. That's what love is. Poor Hijiri-chan. Without knowing that he came to see her, alone in that unfamiliar town she did her best as a teacher. To think about that my heart hurts a little bit. It makes me want to go there and give her a hug."
"My clothes. It's wrinkled. Lend me something I can wear at your place later." What a way of expressing your wish to spend the night with that guy!
"It's okay for you not to do something like that (getting married). Because we are like this because we like each other freely. It's different from when you were with Hijiri-chan."

I like that Akira don't beat the bush and get to the point: "Is it okay for me to come here again? You already broke up with that Shotaro guy, right? And you're no longer my homeroom teacher. I'm already 18 now." They are open, frank and communicative from the beginning.

"If it's me, I won't throw away my past. I can't! Because everything happened before is precious, so I won't forget them all." I hope this statement doesn't suggest an unhappy ending I've mentioned before that their romance will just linger on in their memory and they'll part company.

Under such restrictive and hostile circumstances achievieng your heart's desire makes you enjoy the sweet smell of success to a greater extent, I think. Hopefully the underlying message of the drama will be about something like that rather than about the mothers, the conventions being more powerful and being forced to yield to them. Otherwise I'll end up being heart-broken at the end of the...

Otherwise I'll end up being heart-broken at the end of the drama.

I made the mistake of peeking ahead to the raw ep 9 to see what would happen. Now I'd like go into hibernation until the last subtitle is released. The waiting is slowly killing me!

Their strong and unconventional relationship made an indelible impression on me as they indulged in passionate feelings, basked in the charm of love and mutual gratification. This drama has developed in me confused emotions connected with newly discovered aspects of my desire to be loved.

I enjoy the drama cause it shows the very large area between black and white.
I like how Akira wants to live for himself, even if I'm kinda in his mother's side cause he acts like a brat with her.

In the times we live, where everything is an issue and the cancel culture is becoming more and more preferable, I wonder if we'll all have to live with our mistakes being thrown in our faces everyday or will people finally stop being obsessed with others..

Maybe if people stop gossiping about others and giving unwanted advice, they should face their own imperfect and empty lives, which can be a frightening and upsetting experience.

When the drama started, it had some terrible reviews. However gradually the drama gripped viewers. I can see why this drama gained popularity and became a talk of the dramaland.

I also find Kekkon aite ha chusen de( finding marriage partners via lottery) is very interesting. The drama set a fictional time when Japanese government announced that unmarried Japanese( age bet 25-39) have to attend Omiai( marriage meetings) by lotteries . This crazy scheme comes from the government to try to avoid population decrease and the policy comes with a harsh penalty if you refuse their partners three times. The drama shows some attendants reasons for not get married or not be able to marry etc etc. It is really thought provoking. I have watched five eps( but only two were subbed) so far and found it really . enjoyable. Shuhei Nomura who is, i believe, reputed for his playfulness( and a playboy) portrays the main character whose fastidious disease prevents him from having normal meetings with women. I could not realize that the main character is played by him. He looks and acts so different in the drama. He finds it so hard to go through lottery induced marriage meetings but when he had a meeting with Takanashi Rin, he gradually changes. Ryohei Otani is also in the drama.
I think that the drama's point is not who become a partner with who but how they learn themselves and deal with themselves throughout the lottery scheme and what marriage means to them.( of course some rebels the government' arranged marriages)

I watch Korean dramas but nothing really caught my attention much. But River from BBC was fantastic. It seems like a police drama but it is not. ( but I would not say the detail more). Stellan John Skarsgård and Nicola Walker are fantastic in it. I personally like Nicola Walker and I hope she will be a gem( she is now!) like Dame Judi Dench as she grows older.

I think this idea of arranged, lottery induced marriages by the government is a drastic intervention in private life. I myself would rebel against it. The drama sounds interesting.

Leave it to the Japanese to make interesting, unique, quirky stories. The plot looks so interesting, might have to check it out.

Chugakusei-Nikki is the drama that brought me out of my drama hiatus. It is so well made and a pure, true, love story, whatever that may mean. In total contrast is Love and Fortune, which is dubious and ugly, more like real life. I have complicated feelings about it. The lead actress there is certainly very brave and uninhibited, though. And I liked the cinematography, editing and soundtrack a lot.

I prefer a pure love story to an ugly one. I'd like to believe that such pure feelings exist at least on screen or in books. I'm deluding myself, I guess.

haha. well written @bernadett
@akikoz i don't think the show had terrible ratings at any time.
Criticism was there but it wasn't completely -ve.
@gledis-sotiri Mother has her own issues to solve. From start you can see Mother-Son not being on same page and Son rebelling against her actions. Going after someone after 3 years with -ve feelings leading to -ve actions isn't right from any point of view.

I agree that mother-son relationship has nothing to do with Hijiri, and that's my complaint against the mother.
However, Akira not talking to her for 3 whole years is a little bit too much, especially since she was the only one she had.

Anyway, I believe we'll get the full story when episode 9 gets subbed. Can't wait to see what the father will say :)

I think I'm going to drop Fluttering Alert. It's kinda boring me and the latest episodes just seem to suggest it's going to wallow in noble idiocy and shenanigans where the male lead gets trapped being sucked into his family's BS. I'm just kinda done with these shows predicated on people not having agency to not get married because of the social power and authority their family has over them. I understand it's a bona fide cultural difference but I am weary of it.

Truth! Plus it is stressing and i hate being manipulated into stress by noble idiocy.

Yeah, me too. I only like the OTP. Now that they're apart (for so long!), it's really boring. The acting of the rest of the cast is so-so. The acting of the brother who works in the same clinic is so over the top. Oh, i thought the male lead looks similar to the female lead's dad.

While watching ep 11 today I couldn't believe we STILL had another 5 to go before this drama ended! The story is just stupid: Why would a rich father try to manipulate an unwilling son into his company? What clever businessman would want his company ruined by someone with no management experiences, and one that had NO interest? AND, how did that woman think she would be able to drag someone to the altar? What's the point, anyway? If both families wanted to do business together, just sign a damn contract! Why the need for marriage in this day and age.

It's been a while since I don't watch but scam through some scenes to see weather it's still stupid, and yes, it is😒😂😒.
This second lead girl is the worst in all dramaland (at least the worst I have seen). She is worse than the second lead in Full house, worse than the one in Stars falling from the sky, and worse than the stupid half sister in Rooftop prince.
I hate her so much, I wish Chun Jung myung would slap her, beat her, kick her or at least spit on her, because I can't stand her character, but of course that wont happen.
I wish they would at least sue her or release to the press all her stalking, but no... that won't happen either, because this is the typical drama where our candy heroine and the noble hero are just to pure to fight back against a evil person who could even threat their lives, and there you go... they have to suffer.
So I am not watching anymore. It is so stupid I can't stand it. Sooo absolutely unreal...
I can't stand it.

They killed any goodwill with me have the leads separate for an entire. Then Seong hoon walking into that photo shoot and hitting Woo and man handling Joo while taking her out of her shoot.

Yeah, I turned it off.

I finally gave up on it also. Once it got past the initial first 2-3 episodes, it just got boring. Same old cliches, over used tropes, formula plot.

I dropped Fluttering Alert after episode two. Felt more like a Product placement session than a drama. And the cliché were too out-there...I love Yoon Eun-Hye, but I couldn't...

I feel sorry for YEH. What a waste..

I promised myself that I will stick around just to support Eun Hye but I forgot alltogether that I was even watching this show! This is how bad it is!

Happy weekend Beanies!

I am relieved to report that my leave days got approved, so I am home for three Fridays in a row, huzzah! It turns out to be necessary for my health, both physically and mentally. I rarely get ill, so karma instead torments me with very bad colds that make my environment think and make me feel like I am dying… So this Monday I get a bad cough, sore throat, clogged nose,….while enduring terrible November weather and the most impossible of customers.

On top of that the same Monday my boss was forced to put a deadline on a mini project I alone am working on, so I had to finish by next Monday. Since he has to present my project to other companies, I fully understand why, but I felt so bad because I could not manage to finish it on time. After prodding from my supportive colleague to just come clean to my boss, I admitted that I would not be able to finish. Instead of disappointment or a K-drama reaction, my boss organized an instant private emergency mini meeting to discuss the progress, difficulties and damage control of the project. I am so happy to have a boss that showed a bit mercy, despite not having the luxury to do so.

In the end I still have to finish as soon as possible, but if I can get the big overview done by Monday it should be fine. So now I still have my Saturday morning shift to finish that mini deadline. My cold is also nearly gone, because I actually bothered to sleep this week and took the necessary medication. All in all, I have some hope again that it will end well.

Since there is no Korean class tomorrow that also means that I have more time this weekend to study and catch up on other things. I am also writing for this theme of the month, which I hope to finish and send in somewhere this weekend. It would make a nice sequel to the piece I wrote last year. Finally, that also means that I might be able to start watching K-dramas again soon!

it must be the season for colds right now, sighs. i’m convinced I caught the same cold from the same friend TWICE. We were both halfway through the cold and then re-passed it on to each other. I’ve also passed it on to my cousin who i’m supposed to travel overseas with in like 3 days. Stupid cold making me feel bad and guilty but HEY I only passed her the sniffles and I started coughing after her, so maybe it was a two way thing. Maybe I should quarantine myself for my own sake and the sake of others. Also means I have time to play more games/ watch dramas though I’m not particularly interested in anything lately.

There is a saying around here: "It is always a bad time to fall ill." It certainly applies to your friend, right before travelling. I hope you both get better in time to enjoy the journey! :)

@turtuallysarcastic Great that you get 3 Friday's off. I've been trying to get out of all kinds of work on Fridays for years. I'm finally succeeding now too! Yay!!! At least, I can choose to work or not, which makes it much less stressful.

Colds are nasty things. No matter how one tries to wriggle out of it, lots of rest (and that means shuteye and not lying in bed and watching a show) is needed to get rid of it.

The minute I don't get enough rest, I start sneezing and feeling a 'heat' build-up in my throat. Then even Vitamin C does not help keep the sickness away, until I rest and drink lots of water, at the same time.

Happy recovering and writing your article! I'll be waiting to read ya. 😃

I am both curious and terrified to find out what exactly you did to be able to read my OT post, despite being away ;) Not that I am complaining! :p

My mom made me take some strong coughing medicine pill every evening that makes you very sleepy. Without it, I would still be suffering now, but because I did sleep a couple of hours every night I am recovering. :)

I'm not away yet. I posted that thing about my vacation too far in advance 😂. I was thinking I'd be too tied up to get on the OT etc this week, but since I've got some moments, I'm having a ball before I go out and 'do stuff'.

I'll definitely not be home next OT, but again, I will make a valiant attempt to login or at least to read DB. I have a great problem getting DB pages to load properly on my mobile, but cannot justify bringing a tablet or laptop. So there it is. I'll just be watching or re-watching shows if I've got time on vacay, and will have to somehow binge watch everything I missed when I get back!!!! *😅 stress*

GB, heading towards me? Alas I'm in the north island. Actually, not there yet myself. Flying out in under 24 hours. How long are u staying there for? Enjoy your vacay. Sunblock and a hat will be my advisory. Yes, long drives can lull, but hopefully kids and hubby can alert you. Take care.

Hi there my dear @merry I'll be in South Island for only 8 short days. Still it'll be a great break away from city and hordes of people. I don't mind replacing them with hordes of sheep, as long as I don't have to shepherd them! 😂

happy friday beanies!
havnt been regularly on the OT for the longest time due to time differences but i’m finally here! i’m back in singapore for the next 1-2 months and well, the past 2 weeks have been real eventful, to the point where I havnt even got time to think about watching dramas. I’ve gone to the beach twice, caught a cold twice and gotten sunburnt once, ate tons of good and supposedly cheap food, but somehow still managed to go broke doing that.
since most people here won’t know me, I’m a singaporean who’s currently studying in high school in new zealand. i’ve applied for a place in a university next year, hoping to skip the last year of high school, and since uni starts later than high school does (march vs january), I decided to book a one way ticket from nz to singapore. The problem is, according to the university, they’ll only be able to tell me if I can get into university in january, after this year’s results are released, and that means i’ll not be able to plan and book my return flight sufficiently in advance. I’m kind of at a lost as to what I should do, since I’d really really want to spend chinese new year with my extended family here, but that’ll only be possible if I get accepted into uni. sighs. I’m totally not ready to adult.
On the brighter side of things, I just picked up pubg! I’m starting to see that i’m not entirely hopeless at things so that’s great! If anyone plays, i’ll hit you up in maybe a month or so when i’m confident that i won’t be a burden playing with y’all, and that this isn’t some silly stroke of beginners luck.

heh! that’s it! what a long and convoluted rant. anyways, I hope to talk to more of you over these few months!!!

Nice to meet you. OT is such great place I get to meet all kinds of people in all ages^^

Welcome home @babybeast! I hope our humid weather after the cool of NZ has not zapped your energy too much. As a reverse coincidence, I'll be going for a short holiday in South Island next week. I expect that even in Summer, I'll still need my Winter wear since I a start freezing at a balmy 20 degrees.

You are enrolling in the Uni in NZ? I guess it's pretty tight to know if you should book a flight back to school just after the Chinese NY. At least CNY is in the first week of Feb and may give you a chance to catch a day at home before flying back. All the best!! 😃

oooh!!! have fun in NZ! The weather there is pretty unpredictable, one day could be scorching hot and the next, freezing, so yep! better to bring all the gear you would possibly need! bring loads of sunblock too! when I first arrived, (last year around this time) i realised that the NZ sun is ridiculously hot, but the wind is surprisingly cool. Standing in the shade felt like brr aircon but once you’re in the sun it feels like it’s hotter than singapore. Anyways! I hope you enjoy your time in South Island!

But yep! I’m enrolling into a uni in NZ! Maybe i’ll just yolo and stay past CNY! (I can’t possibly miss out on all the goodies 2 years in a row)

@babybeast
CNY goodies - this is a great time to start on them. I just went to the neighbourhood stores (Ang Mo and Sheng Siong) and they are stocked with fresh snacks all ready for the celebrations. The salted egg fish skin snack is the in thing now and it's great! Bought a tub yesterday, and it's almost all gone today!! 😋

After binge-ing in December, you may not mind going back to school on time. 😆

Oh my goodness I love the salted egg fish skin, its so yum!!!! Kinda weird that it’s not even christmas yet, but CNY goodies have already started selling. Not that i’m complaining ;)

I'm having a tough time this drama season. Maybe i'm just triggered by cruelty, esp when it's done by entitled people with a lot of power, money, and media pull but wow, Love Alert and Encounter are putting me through the ringer. I find that i'm avoiding watching the episodes because all that character torture upsets me. I never used to hate second lead ladies to this degree but i am now convinced that dramas will train innocent newbies to hate women or to assume stuff about them. And knowing that a redemption arc is coming for these cruel second lead ladies or oppressive parents/inlaws isn't helping matters either.

Then there are the confusing second lead situations. What the heck is happening with Mama Fairy? Falling in love with someone because you "think" it's your husband is not enough. Will we be dealing with a situation where the kdrama trope of marriage being forever will be put aside for the professor?

And then there's Feel Good to Die. Ah me, why does this have to turn into a love story? First, i gotta say that Kang Ji Hwan is amazing as Baek Jin Sang. Humor, pathos, narcissism, and emotional frailty all in one. He is a seriously good actor. But why must he fall for Roo Da? I was really enjoying the second lead actor getting her but now will we have the heroine falling for a nasty Bad Boy who becomes good? Why can't Team Leader end up with his nemesis? Is this another story where bad men can change but bad women are punished? Why not redeem her since she isn't so bad?

So upshot, i've been stressing about watching some of these episodes. I can't deal.

Fate and Furies seems like it'll be some serious makjang fun. And Memories of the Alhambra is fun as well.
I watched Love and Fortune, a jdrama on Netflix. Pediophilia-lite and erotic and with the typical Japanese "happy ending" or what Jdramas can approximate as a happy ending.

My greatest joy has been watching Chinese dramas. I highly recommend, Ever Night. It is the best drama i have seen in ages. Eternal Love 2 is good as well, but you might have to watch the first one to get the gist of it.

That's about it. Have a great weekend, all.

ooh, forgot to mention Coffee, Do me a favor. I keep thinking coffee will require payback in the end, but i do wish there were more dramas where cute hot guys fall for overweight women. Overweight Seul bi is not getting a lot of screentime....which is of course usual for kdramas.

I think there's going to be a kdrama based on Drop Dead Diva, which the very premise you are referring. I loved that show in the US!

I loved Weightlifting fairy because she was different from the typical beautiful, frail female lead.

She was strong and had a temper and the male lead loved her for it.

Ok, now I want to watch it again.

Thank you for saying that about Happy To Die. I really want Gong Myung's character to end up with RuDa. Baek Jin Sang is the lead of the show but I want him to be the second lead of the love story. If that happens I will truly be happy with the show. Otherwise I am really enjoying the show. Also love the 'creative' ways in which BJS keeps dying! haha or when he commits suicide by making people wishing him death

Where can I watch ever night in the U.S? I am looking for my next Chinese drama!

on viki.com

I'm so loving Hyun Bin in Memories of the Alhambra! I never read anything on the show, just watched it on a whim, and I stayed on for ep 2! He's the best looking in here compared to his other dramas that I've watched. I think it's the hair?

I've been a big Hyun Bin fan since he starred in My Lovely Sam Soon and Secret Garden. It's his dimples and smile that stands out especially at the end of ep 1 of Memories of the Alhambra.

Ha! So it’s not only me who think he looks absolutely stunning in MoA. And I can’t pinpoint why is that exactly. Everyone knows he’s a good looking man, but he’s seriously on the whole another level in MoA.

Also he gained weight. It looks good on him.

Well, I finally started watching The Last Empress and I like how it almost looks like a parody sometimes.
It's exaggerated and fake and the heroine is not 16 years old, but acts like that. I can't wait to see how many stupid things they'll throw in there :)

On the other hand, anyone got 400$ to give me?
I begged YGEX in my mind to release all the recordings of Daesung's fanmeets last year, and they actually did it.
50 hours of content from 39 shows... all in Japanese in one collection for 400$. I might have to pick up some extra shifts at work and try harder with my Japanese lessons...
Why am I not a chaebol yet ????

The makjang and stupidity in Last Empress finally drove me away. Too many plot holes even for a parody.

I still want to see how Choi Jin-hyuk gets his revenge (btw what happened to the bullet in his head).

He's taking pain pills for it.

I hv two question pls
Firstly I cnt register,it send d username sud b A 2 Z n 1 to 9...secondly
Apart from park min young character bn strong n independent,do u think her characters are d xame....I mean do u tinl she is acting d xame character in her dramas

Keep showing....
(Correction)

Excuse me, I didn’t get your problem. What’s wrong with saying the username should be A-Z and 1-9 is? All are like this.

I try to register with different username bt it still not working...how long sud d letters b dat actually wat am asking...try to understand pls

It actually shows ...username contains invalid character

Hey, sorry I missed this SOS. Can you try again but without uppercase letters?

If you go to the bottom of this page and click the "contact us" button, you should get a page that lets you email Dramabeans Staff. I'm sure they can help you get registered. @mary

Tanx guys

@detola You did it! Welcome newly registered Beanie!

Aww, congrats dear and welcome. Happy to see your problem is solved☺️

Hello Beanies! I hope you are all doing well!

As it's a super busy day today I have to run, I can't hang out in OT ..... *sadface* ..... but I'm just popping in to say "hello" and to wish you all a great day!

Take care everyone and enjoy all the dramas you're watching!

You too korfan!

All the best amidst your busy-ness @korfan!

I hope you have a calmer day tomorrow for K-drama watching ;)

Thanks for saying hi!

Have you ever been spoiled regarding a show (either from webtoons, or other source material like books or an original version of the show that aired in another country), been unhappy with what you've learned, and quit a show because of it? And what would be the enthusiasm-killer for you? Tragic Ending? Frustrating plot twists?

How about if the second lead gets the girl?

I'm asking this because there are not one but two shows on right now where this could potentially happen, and I was spoiled on one of them, and it really frustrated me, enough that I don't want to watch the show any more.

I've never had that happen before, but I can imagine it would be frustrating.
I'm the kind of person who flips to and reads the last page of any book before I buy it (blasphemous, I know) and I also look up the source material before watching remakes, so I guess I wouldn't watch a show if I knew I wasn't going to like the ending. I'd watch a show if I knew the ending, but the process of getting there seemed interesting.

Cheese in the Trap, I start reading before drama started, liked it up to second season and got so fed up with male lead that when drama started I didn't even want to check it out.

I've quit a few shows after getting spoiled (not by source materials, but by not keeping up with episodes), and the main reason is hearing about a tragic ending for a favorite character (not even always the lead!). I'm like @shinayame now in wanting to know the end ahead of time - in some cases I just wait until a drama ends, then decide whether I'm going to finish or not, based on discussions here. Saves me some heartbreak that I don't want to endure!

It's already the 7th of December, and I am waiting impatiently for the Year in Review posts to start. Hopefully it will start with the Bean Count just like in the last two years. That post is a hoot.

I think I'm getting tired of Kdrama or Kdrama is getting boring. I can't really decide which. Is it me? Because right now I'm not watching much and few things hold my interest. I've dropped more dramas this year than I've finished watching. I don't know if it's that I'm finally tiring of them or if they are getting more and more rehashed and boring.

@TJ Might be a slump?

You might be in a slump but I agree ideas are rehashed

I am with you here "..dropped more dramas this year than I've finished..".

It seems to be that the quality of dramas has been going down even while the quantity goes up. Perhaps they are having trouble finding good writers and directors and end up defaulting to the same tired old plot devices. So far "Children of Nobody" is the only truly original drama of the new crop I have seen, and the only one I am hooked on. "Bad Detective" looks promising, but only seen the first two episodes.

Some that I would like to see are Sky Castle and God's Quiz, but only subs seem to be on the pirate sites.

I've been thinking that maybe the influx of licensing money from sites like Dramafever (RIP) & Viki is enabling more dramas to be funded, but isn't increasing the number of good scripts.

Dramafever is gone. Shut down. I never used it anyway. There was a merger and they decided to shut it down.

For me, Dramafever was part of my gateway drug into Korean dramas, so I really miss it!

I'm not a fan of Korean crime dramas anyway. So no relief there. I'm an American. We make much better crime dramas. If I weren't already tired of them after 3 decades of Law and Order, Criminal Minds and CSI. lol I still like a good Saeguk and even a decent melodrama if it's done with some kind of twist on the standard. I think dramas have gone down hill since I started watching. For one thing they've become way to "sanitized" Koreans are not this "conservative" in real life. The networks have pretty much watered it all down so much it's boring.

If you think k-dramas have been watered down, look at some of the recent Chinese ones compared to just 4-5 years ago. The one thing I really hate about American crime shows is that EVERY SINGLE ONE is totally solved in 45 minutes. But yeah, despite the larger number of k-dramas, I am finding fewer that I actually finish.

Syndication is big business. That is the end game and procedural is the way to go. There is a reason a show like 24 did not last. They have to be in order for it to work.

I've been wondering about Children of Nobody. I tried the first fifteen minutes and it seemed so bleak that i wondered. Lost, stolen, hurt children are a tender point with me.

"Less than evil" just seemed too evil with the big bad being the prosecutor, so i dropped that after the first fifteen minutes as well.

I've been wanting to watch sky castle and top star (both dramas with top star out of water) but yeah..only pirate sites.

I am in the same situation. I think it is because in the first half of this year, the acting in the major dramas were far superior to the actual story writing. Currently, I find most of the acting average and story telling about the same.

I think there's been some pretty phenomenal acting in kdramas this year. Skip over the goofy-girl-meets-cool-but-mean-arrogant-boy dramas w silly tropes and try more-adult ones: MOTHER, HAND: THE GUEST, THE SMILE HAS LEFT YOUR EYES, MISTY (just be prepared to be seriously disappointed by the ending), LAWLESS LAWYER, LIFE.

I'm sure there are some I left out. Haven't started BAD DETECTIVE yet, but LUTHER (the British drama it's based on) is one of the best dramas ever--across all time and space.

MONEY FLOWER--how could I have forgotten that?! See @pakalanapikake's post about it below in response to someone's question about whether it was worth watching.

I didn't want write in drama thread because it doesn't fit the atmosphere, but I couldn't not notice how hot Lee Yi Kyung looking lately. He never was on my radar, but now damn, he is so fine!

Ikr. I can’t believe he’s the “gwenchana” guy from Waikiki. XD

I'd seen him in a few different dramas and never cared for either his acting or his looks, but I have to say, he's changing my mind on both in Children of Nobody.

@shach @giegie @missh
Yes, yes and yes! I've not really noticed him much before, but I do so like his rendition of an earnest and honest cop, serious sunbae, and broken-hearted boyfriend. He's got certain moves and looks that are most winning!!!

Ikr, till not long ago he just reminded me of Waikiki and that he was dating Jung In Sung when they were still filming the drama.

Yes, to all of you! 😁

To think that he was that long-haired guy in Go Back Couple! I think it must be his hair style in Children of Nobody! The hair maketh the man! 😉

Oh gosh, I can actually imagine him with that horrible long-hair wig! No wonder I never took him seriously. But he's so great over in this show, I'm watching scenes just to stare at him!!!

I've never been so excited about Open Thread before because I'm dying (ha, pun intended) to talk to someone about the biopic Hymn of Death starring Lee Jong Suk and Shin Hye Sun! I binged it last night until 3am and it was like putting my heart through a shredder - but I don't regret it one bit. The acting (even the supporting roles who were all big name actors) was top-notch, and every single frame was beautifully heartbreaking. Stunning cinematography aside, I couldn't take my eyes off the exquisite period outfits SHS wore so elegantly, like a screen siren of a bygone era (of course, LJS filled out his 3-piece suits nicely as well, but we knew that already, ha.)

Apparently, there's all this hoo-ha about LJS's comments regarding how he felt "the narrative and emotions...was a tiny bit lacking" but for once, I disagree. The characters were fleshed out across the 3 hours better than in most 16-episode dramas - their personalities and motivations were clear and consistent, and most importantly, believable. I was most surprised with how convinced I was about their *spoiler alert* suicide pact at the end. I won't even try to broach the moral quagmire that the subject comes with, but I was incredibly moved by the writer's interpretation of how they came to their decision. They were both forced to make impossible choices between love, filial piety, loyalty toward one's country, and loyalty to one's personal beliefs. Without romanticising the act of suicide, I could see why the tragic pair chose to be with each other in death, rather than be apart in their longing.

And to the friends I complained to about LJS being a bit vacant in the first episode (hi @saya!), I take it *all* back. It might have taken him a bit of time to warm up, but in the latter 2 hours, he inhabited the 'tortured poet' persona (silent, manly tears, natch) in a way that will stay with me for a long time.

I could go on, and on, but in the spirit of 'show, don't tell' - just go and watch the darned thing if you're up for good cry after a long, stressful week at work/school. Happy watching! (Tissues not optional)

Your review is the first positive one that i read, and it raises a bit my expectations while i wait patiently for the drama to show up on Netflix.......

SHS has been a feast for the eyes since the release of the promotional material : she looks in every pic, positively like a model coming through a period drama fashion show.

Beanies, have anyone of you watched Money Flower? Was it good? I’m tempting to watch just for Jang Seung Jo but I don’t really know what to expect from the drama.

Does he have enough screen time for me to watch it? 😁

I DID !!! I loved it. It was a solid drama.

I liked it. Even though some list it under the makjang genre, the twists and turns were mostly well thought out and executed. JSJ was really good and held his own against Jang Hyuk. The romance is a bit lackluster, but since it's not really the main focus, it's ok. I felt it ran out of steam towards the end, but it's still good enough.

I say go for it, he has a pretty good character. I'm not usually into dramas about company struggle because they are boring but MF is the exception, the writing and pacing is very good. It was my first time meeting this guy and he played it so well he could actually almost steal a few scenes from Jang Hyuk. It was my favorite kind of second lead, you never know just how good or bad he will allow himself to become.

He was so good in that and it's hard to upstage Jang Hyuk.

@cherryinbloom,

I live-watched MONEY FLOWER for Jang Hyuk as well as Lee Mi-sook and Lee Soon-jae, who are great as the major villains. If you like revenge dramas, this is the show for you. The level of scheming by the protagonist is right up there with that of Prosecutor Jang Do-han in LOOKOUT.

Jang Seung-jo gets plenty of screen time, and turns in a nicely-nuanced performance as a spoiled chaebol heir in an arranged political marriage who falls in love with his unsuspecting wife in spite of himself. All the while, Jang Hyuk's corporate lawyer engineers his masters' skullduggery while sowing the seeds of retribution -- and dodging the daggers of opposing factions with designs on the corporation. There are plenty of twists that kept me guessing in this show. Alas, it wasn't recapped. But it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Jang Hyuk turned in an intense performance, as I had anticipated. Lee Soon-jae was magnificently diabolical, to the point that I had to watch episodes of HIGH KICK! 2 THROUGH THE ROOF as a palate cleanser. Lee Mi-sook, who was terrifyingly twisted in TEMPERATURE OF LOVE, projected evil incarnate. She was terrific.

I loved the music, and posted on my fan wall all the tracks, including instrumental music, that I could find. Just keep scrolling down from this one:

I just posted the full OST here:

If you enjoy MONEY FLOWER, consider watching MAWANG / THE LUCIFER. I'm not a big fan of revenge, but it is another intense tale, also with great music. I watched it after MONEY FLOWER. You can find it with very good subtitles on KBS World TV on YouTube.

So Jang Hyuk and Jang Seung Jo love the same woman? Because I don’t want to watch two shows where he longs for someone who doesn’t love him back simultaneously.

@cherryinbloom,
JH's character is very much like Jang Do-han in LOOKOUT, who focused all of his energies on revenge. There had been a past history between JH's and Park Se-young's characters when they were school kids. He left the relationship in the past, with regret and deeply-buried attachment. She actually did still have feelings for him, but did not know his identity or whereabouts. The situation and vibe were different from those in GREASY MELO / WOK OF LOVE, if that's what you mean.

I really could have done with recaps to clear up the fine points while the show was airing. To that end I just checked out this series review for reference:

I don't know if that helps with your decision, but it was a good memory-jogger for me. ;-)

@pakalanapikake: your post is totally spot-on. My first post at DB was about Money Flower, and it remains one of my favorite dramas ever. It was elegant, intense, beautiful, symphonic in its unfolding. And the instrumental music was so moving--slowly building to crescendos that were not melodramatic, but were powerful indicators of something to come or graceful elements accentuating the action, highlighting but not overwhelming.

The cinematography was pristine, pure, not a misstep anywhere whether in a Joseon-era-type estate or a wildlife refuge. Indoors and outdoors. The lighting--like the music--underscoring and highlighting the action without distracting from it.

I also watched for Jang Hyuk (who is the BEST eye actor ever; well Kim Jae-Wook gives him a run for his money--would like to see a drama starring the two of them, with no words just eyes). But discovered Jang Seung-jo, who had plenty of goofy, sad, but affecting screen time.

Tense, moving, slowly unfolding. You have to stay w it, and will end up loving it!

Howdy, @isbjorn! Long time no see. Thank you for your kind words. I can't agree more with your comments on MONEY FLOWER. ;-)

I first became aware of eye acting courtesy of Jang Hyuk and Cha Seung-won, who was dynamite in MY SON with Ryu Deok-hwan, who also speaks volumes with his eyes. You might want to catch JH in BAD PAPA with his impressive boxing and MMA scenes and plenty of eye-emoting. Lee Joon-gi and Kam Woo-sung are a couple of my other faves.

It has been a blast to see younger actors letting their eyes do the talking: Seo Kang-joon (ARE YOU HUMAN TOO & THE THIRD CHARM), Lee Joon-ho (JUST BETWEEN LOVERS & GREASY MELO), Do Kyung-soo (100 DAYS MY PRINCE, films PURE LOVE and MY ANNOYING BROTHER -- with the marvelous Jo Jung-suk), and Yang Sejong (playing 2 clones, their donor, and one clone impersonating the other in DUEL -- truly a powerhouse performance -- with nicely emotive turns in the otherwise disappointing TEMPERATURE OF LOVE & cutetastic THIRTY BUT SEVENTEEN). They are a few who come to mind.

After his psycho killer turn in VOICE, Kim Jae-wook was terrific in GUEST, as was COFFEE PRINCE castmate Kim Dong-wook, who has been excellent in both installments of ALONG WITH THE GODS. There are a passel of intensely excellent performances in LIVE, and also LIFE ON MARS and ROOM NO. 9, three of my top dramas of the year. Oh Dae-hwan has been terrific in the latter two.

Hi Everyone and Happy OT!
I just woke up. I am supposed to have been awake, but I guess a little emergency 2 nights ago is still taking it's toll until now. It was at 3am on a Wednesday that we got woken up to see to my father-in-law, who felt unwell. For everyone's peace of mind, we harried off to the hospital with him to the Emergency Department. Since we were still considered outpatients, it was a longish wait. To cut a boring story short, I ended up making a back and forth trip to bring my father-in-law home at 8am, before heading off for some work and errand running. The good news is father-in-law is quite OK, but the consequences for us is that we got no good quality sleep.

I thought that I had gotten enough rest over the last 2 days, but I'm continually wilting at the PC. I'm sure I'm going to slide under the table again after just waking up now! And I'm still packing and getting ready for my vacation to NZ, during which I hope to watch some episodes of currently airing shows.

Speaking of shows... I'm surprised that I'm watching 5 (or maybe 7). I thought I'd manage only 2-3. At the top of my list is Children of Nobody (Red Moon, Blue Sun) for it's pacing, characters and well executed mystery. Super intriguing and compelling, especially as we do not even know if we can 'trust' our lead(s).

In 2nd place for me is Encounter (Boyfriend) for the soulful depiction of loneliness, enforced rigidity and how it makes me feel about it. The look and the sounds are great. It's a slow burn romance and growth and everything, with surprisingly nice characters and just a couple of ridiculously awful ones who are needed to give us chaebol-conspiracy conflict, because just 2nd lead romantic conflict is not enough.

Then somewhere after 3rd place, there's an odd mix of antagonistic thriller in Less Than Evil which is great for Shin Ha Kyun's comeback, beautiful scenes with twisty game-playing revenge with vacuous leads in Memories of the Alhambra and the insanely low rent Fluttering Alert/Tingling Advisory. The latter title is still my fave among it's many names.

Somewhere in the 3rd-4th place might be the moody 12 Nights, and I'm still undecided if I want to give Priest a second chance. It somehow failed to grip me in it's first 2 episodes. *yawn,.... literally* I'm only thinking that I may watch it when it gets boring in the long nights that I'm on vacation and have no access to the Internet.

I find that I'm still more drawn to the mystery-thriller genre, and would actually prefer either no romance in a thriller or an out and out nice pairing in a real romance.

So what do Beanies suggest? Forget about Priest? Just survive for 7 days on re-watching this weeks' episodes of my currently watching list (above)? Or quickly pick up a show to binge watch on my trip? 😃

I would recommend Priest , it's not so compelling like Guest but for mystery lover it's a pleasant watch on drama slow day.
Have a nice holiday, I'm very jealous ;)

Thanks @shach when can you manage to take a break or go on holiday?

Soon I hope but I'm more jealous about NZ, it's such a beautiful country, but so far far away from where I am, there is miniscule chance for me to ever visit.

@shach I bet it's not farther than from here. I'm pretty much on the other side of the world.

@lixie, I'm from Europe so basically same:) Seoul is closer than NZ.

@shach South America. Yes, Seoul is closer for me too :)

I am glad to hear that father-in-law is okay, but I am a bit worried that you are not getting enough sleep, right before your trip. I hope you can catch up on sleep in time, or sleep enough in NZ (not too much, you need to see NZ too while you are there!) ;)

LOL @turtuallysarcastic I envision myself in NZ, going "Ooh! So beautiful" over the scenery one moment and then knocking off along the road, lulled to sleep in any moving vehicle! 😂

@growingbeautifully,

I'm glad your father-in-law is okay, and hope that you recover well from the stress and sleep deprivation. It sounds as if you're suffering the delayed effects after the adrenaline wore off. Fingers crossed that you can pace yourself enough to recharge your batteries before leaving on vacation. Remember, it's supposed to be a treat, not a treatment. ;-)

I've been enjoying PRIEST, which has a different vibe from GUEST. Initially I wasn't planning to watch it, but I gave it a try, and am intrigued to see how it plays out. It's kind of nice to hear Gregorian chants. (I posted the Latin "Pater Noster" on my fan wall.)

As for mystery-thrillers, I've been enjoying GOD'S QUIZ: REBOOT, which has a new medical examiner case every episode, along with an ongoing story arc that involves revenge for past mishandling of a case 9 years earlier. I'm also rewatching the first season of GOD'S QUIZ, and plan to work my way through the rest of the seasons. As an old CSI and NCIS fan, and a Ryu Deok-hwan fangirl, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I loved it when the show referenced his role in WELCOME TO DONGMAKGOL, one of my fave Korean films, with a beautiful score by Studio Ghibli's Joe Hisaishi.

Take care, and feel better soon. And have a wonderful trip to the Land of the Long White Cloud. ;-)

Thanks @pakalanapikake As you probably have guessed, I have listened to some Gregorian Chant in my lifetime. My dad before he passed away, used to play the organ and told me about how it was more challenging to play from the sheet music as there were only 4 lines instead of 5 on the score. I of course never figured it out.

Thanks for the recommendation. I feel more willing to invest some time now that I've read your comments on those shows. 😃

Good morning my beautiful fellow Beanies! Hope you have all been watching some lovely shows. There are a couple shows I am eagerly waiting to watch like Boyfriend, Clean With Passion and Memories of the Alhambra. But I don't like to watch dramas until they have finished (or almost finished). So I have a good awhile to wait. I'm off to my Mom's this weekend to finish the last 2 episodes of Fox Star Bride and then we will start watching Beauty Inside. I love both actors in Beauty and heard it was good. But right now I've only really been watching 1 drama this week...

The Rise of the Phoenixes I am pretty far into this really long drama (ep 53 of 70). I am dreading what comes next as this is the start of the conflict between the 2 main characters (Ning Yi and Feng Zhiwei). Up until this point they have been allies, friends, trusted confidants and more recently, lovers. So after spending 50 episodes of these 2 characters helping each other out I am not really looking forward to the conflict between them, especially since they both just recently came to the realization that they love each other. I still love Feng Zhiwei and the actress who plays her (Ni Ni) is doing an excellent job. I've grown to like Ning Yi's actor, Chen Kun, but he still isn't my favorite. Though I have realized I don't really care for his dubbing, and maybe it's that rather then the acting. It's a conundrum as there are scenes I really like him in and others not as much. I do really like his character though which also adds to the conundrum. He is very intelligent, manipulative, ruthless and determined but he is very loyal and kind to those he feels deserve it and genuinely wants to do well for the people of the kingdom. It may have been a bit slow for me to get into but I am quite enjoying this now. I hope it ends well with lots of love and kisses.

ive also wanted to give Rise of the Phoenixes a try but I just couldn't push myself in due to it being super duper long. Wonder what other beanies' thoughts are for this one.

Unfortunately I watched all the episodes. I would suggest just forgetting about watching the last 5 to 8 since it was one of the worst ending I have seen in a Chinese drama. Our strong, smart heroine turned into someone I didn’t recognize and was played by everyone. “Sigh’. Why, why, why do they do that to us?

ahhh i hate it when that happens!

Oh no! I have 10 episodes left so this makes me really sad. I've enjoyed it so far, especially because of Feng Zhiwei. I shouldn't be surprised though, as it's always a gamble a Chinese drama will end well :(

It's Friday, yay!
I'm rather behind in drama viewing mostly because there isn't anywhere to watch without a huge uploading hassle. It's discouraging as I'm not very tech savvy. However, I am watching Oh My Ghost on Netflix and I'm not sure why I skipped it when it originally aired. It's so good and chock full of some of my favorite male and female actors! On another note, I just watched The Man Who Invented Christmas; it is very well done! Recommended for sure. Happy weekend! ♥

Thanks @owl22 and Happy Weekend to you too!

Are you watching the Korean or Thai version of Oh My Ghost? IMO, the Korean version is better.

The Korean version with Park Bo Young, Cho Jug Seok (cutie pie), Kim Seul Gi, Kang Ki Young (cutie pie 2), Lim Ju Hwan, and kwak Si Yang (cutie pie 3). It's so fun!

@owl22
OMG - Jo Jung Seok was on the point of breaking into laughter a few times at Park Bo Young's antics. It was a cute show!

OT Week 95! Yay for another week of survival! Again, a busy day, I’m hosting our clinic party which I do every year, and it’s always a grand time. As such, this will be pretty short today.

Watching: LoveO2O and Memories of Alhambra
Similarities: Both about gaming, both with beautiful men who game (I don’t really know if they exist in real life though).
Differences: The game in O2O is an ancillary character there to bring our leads together. In MoA, the game is a lead character itself, ready to devour all the other characters. The game is the most intriguing thing to me.

Watching: Boyfriend/Encounter:
Take home: I have nothing intelligent to say about this show; I’m drowning in PBG, and have no earthly idea why he does this to me.

Conversation:
Me: Park Bo-gum’s face and smile is …. *struggling to find a word that is not shallow: “gorgeous, pretty, amazing, bright and shiney” all won’t do*
Hubby: Sincere, trustworthy.
Me: Um, yeah, that’s totally what I was thinking.
Hubby: That’s because he smiles a lot. People gravitate towards people who smile because they look truthful and sincere.
Me: You took the words right out of my mouth, honey.
Hubby: And I know he is total eye candy for you.
Me: *Heart eyes*
Later that night (during a quiet moment):
Me: You know, I wouldn’t trade you for a million Park Bo-gum smiles.
Hubby: I wish I could say the same about Wei Wei and you.
Me: *While my hand is under his arm, slides it up to his axillae (arm pit) and makes him jump*
Hubby: Wait, I suddenly don’t feel very safe with you this close to me.
Me: What do you mean? You’re the one that would replace me. Why wouldn’t you feel safe?

Moral of the story: Honesty is not always the best policy.
2nd Moral: Enjoying my post-hiatus drama-watching, a lot.
3rd Moral: Have a fun weekend everyone!

I wonder if MoA-Game will join us here at Dramabeans and discuss its actions (like ToD so kindly did)???

I half thinking that @yyishere is cameo-ing as the game

I'm touched that you thought I was the game. Sorry to disappoint you, but that's not me. @pakalanapikake I'm not the sink, either. I'm busy being the best island I can be.

First Moral: that is not honesty but nonsense ;)
Second Moral: I am really happy to read that you are able to watch and enjoy dramas again. Can you send some of your good vibes my way, so that I may finally overcome my busy schedule as well? ;)

*sends prayers to the universe for you!*

Is anyone watching Happy to Die? I really want to talk about the show. So far I like how everything is happening. I like that Ruda now thinks of BJS as a friend but is going out with Kang Joon Ho (Gong Myung's character). I like that she is opening up to KJH (though not about the time loop yet) but they have had some really cute moments.

I really want this drama to focus on the time loop aspects and keep BJS and RuDa as co-workers working to fix the timey-wimey mess. For once if this Kdrama rules in favor of Ruda with KJH and not the lead of the show I will be happy since that is what makes sense right now (according to me)

Secondly, I said this in the thread about the Mama Fairy, but all I want from the show at this point is for them to give Geum a happy ending. He deserves it. Is that going to be with mama fairy or someone else, I almost don't care. Unless this is repentance for some grave crime he committed in the celestial sphere our little Geummie deserves a chance to be happy and not be thwarted by his own subordinate.

I agree with Happy to Die. The drama is underrated. RuDa is fiercely loyal and quick witted. She is a worth candidate for a wife of a chaebol. For once i want to see a wife of a rich man has a normal common sense, a good heart and business ability. I also like to see KJH eventually show his business acumen and validate himself that he can stand at top of the business. This way, they can break the hard mould of a typical K drama trope, that I love to see!

As for Geum, I love to see his happy ending as well. He is genuinely nice and very caring. I feel that he should not live in this world but move back to other realm that he originally belongs to.( is it where he used to live?) Actually I think he and Mama Fairy are better match.

Junior year kicked my ass this week, and I got Not Enough Sleep every day. I didn't dedicate any time to watching kdrama and I still felt exhausted. That sucked. I've never been so glad for Friday to come, if only because I have a little more time to watch drama. I want to check out Red Moon, Blue Sun and catch up on the second episode of Memories of Alhambra. Also need to watch today's episode of YG Treasure Box. I hope these shows can take my mind off school stresses for a while. Happy Weekend my friends!

Stress is not funny. Little sleep on top of that is even worse. But having zero time to watch K-dramas when you really want and need them to unwind is definitely the worst.

I hope you can watch as many episodes as you want soon, or at least the ones you planned. I always get extremely grumpy when real life destroys my little K-drama time ;)

Did you catch YG Treasure box? Thoughts?

Happy Friday all! I’m super excited these days because I’ve been told I’m going to attend a work conference in Tokyo next month!! I’m going to be taking some time off to explore the city and maybe catch a trip to Kyoto. What makes it even more exciting is that it’ll be the firs alone trip I’ve made without husband in 10 years!! I’m a little nervous because it’s the firs time my 8 month old and I will be apart. I hope he will understand when he’s older that you don’t pass up free vacations. But I’ll miss my baby!

Ok I need advice. I want to carry as little as possible. Can I wear a pair of loafers for work and sight seeing or will I freeze? Any other fashion+ comfort advice is welcome. Thanks!!

You will freeze. I assume you mean mid December, and it gets really cold in Tokyo - not the below freezing type, but mostly in the 35-45 degree range. Best source is the Trip Adviser forums. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g298184-i861-Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html
For weather, see this site https://www.holiday-weather.com/tokyo/averages/

Depends on what weather you are used to. For me 35-45F in winter is downright balmy. But if you are from a warmer climate, you might feel differently. Layers are your friend. Light, but warm layers that pack small will be most practical, and comfortable shoes you can wear warm socks with will also be good. For myself, anticipating those temperatures, I would also pack some gloves, maybe a hat in case the wind is cold, and a scarf or wrap that can also be used as a pillow or light throw on the airplane.

Most importantly: HAVE FUN!

wool coat, sweaters, scarves/mufflers (gloves?), don't worry about an umbrella - you can get one at any convenience ("conbi") store for less than $5. comfortable boots might be a better bet for walking - and you will be walking ALOT, and that's the fun part!

do not miss RUSH HOUR at the Shibuya Station Crossing!! amazing mass of people crossing all at once!

@dramamad Beware, you have released the travel 🤓 nerd!! I am envious of your upcoming solo trip!

Yes, packing as lightly as possible will make a huge difference. Stick to a carry-on and focus on multiple light layers (squish-able down vest/coat and a minimalist mix and match wardrobe (3 colors) will work very well, especially if they're pieces you love. I always bring one dress, usually one I can layer. My current favorite is a sheer black long shirtdress which can dress up or down. Leggings under all for warmth! I begin packing/planning sometimes 3-4 months in advance (yikes). I also seriously fangirl over items that can play more than one role.....does anyone remember hye won's "skirt from a scarf" in Secret Affair? I had a sweater cape I took to visit Rome last winter, it served as a coat, a blanket, and a pillow!

Shoes are most critical; I love the weightless walking shoes and will usually walk 5-7 miles daily on trips. They work on all terrains, in any weather. Be aware that it can be difficult to find your size overseas, so test shoes beforehand to make sure they'll work. Re: beauty products, jewelry, and electronic media, my suggestion is simplify, simplify, simplify.

I see travellers struggling with massive bags daily- and it really limits them. It is so freeing to have a small maneuverable bag that I can manage without help.

Btw, the longest I've gone is 6 weeks to Seoul with a carry-on.....

Two words: Packing cubes. You can save space and don't forget to leave room for clothes, gifts that you are bound to buy while there!

Hope your trip will be fun. I live in Kyoto so I can tell the weather here. It's been mild so far this year but we cannot count on the current weather for the weather prediction since Kyoto is notorious for bad weather. some say that Kyoto winter is worse than Hokkaido winter. That means that coldness comes from the underneath water currents in Kyoto City so this coldness really penetrates into our bodies!(generally cold and humid!)
If you like to visit temples( and some temples only have wooden paneled floor.), I should suggest to bring extra pair of socks. Pairs of socks are easily found here and cheap( if your shoe size is up to 25 cm for female and 27cm for male). My husband always bring extra pair to go to temples and put them on once he is inside of temples. Otherwise you feel your toes are frozen! As for clothes, any clothes that can be layered are good. if you are willing to shop, we have Uniqlo shops( and of course, other clothing shops) in major cities and they are generally well constructed, and well priced. I cannot live Uniqlo under layers in winter.
We also sell disposable hand・body warmers( in a pack) at local pharmacy chain stores and we can buy them for 2-3 dollars. I just attached two samples below.
https://www.biccamera.com/bc/item/3035747/- this one is for your shoes.
As for shoes, wear good walking shoes.
Most tourists go to Nijyo castle, Golden pavillion or even Nishiki market, Gion area but we locals do not go there. They are too crowded. But we like to go to Gion area at night strolling. If you are willing to go to Inari shrine in Uji area, go early as possible. By 8:30 am it is getting crowded but most do not go further. We go there very early( my husband goes around 6am) and climb to the top. Having said that the road is quite a challenge, nothing is flat and stairs are uneven,,, but it is worth climbing.

anyway, enjoy your trip!

thank you so much! definitely going to get a sturdy pair of walking shoes. since you're a local, can you give me some advice on whats acceptable to wear to the office?

Welcome. If the office means the work place you are going to attend in Tokyo, female workers seem to wear low heal pumps or flats. I have hardly seen Japanese female here who wear revealing clothes, ie deep cut top or quite short skirts. Monotone clothes seems to be preferable. Having said that, as far as you are from another country, anything except extreme clothes(ie, too striking colors with much revealing top or bottom) should be ok.
We tend to have a bit rainy days during the season( or else snowy), some flats/pumps with waterproof materials might be a good idea.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

@dramamad, congratulations on your trip! Like most people here, I'll weigh in for many layers of, if possible, thin genuine wools like merino. Synthetic fabrics are the worst, except for hi-performance fabrics designed for low temps (like my Land's End puffer jacket made for 0 degrees F). Number 1 requirement is the tested comfortable walking shoe or boots. It's a good trick to wear with two pairs of socks to promote warmth and avoid blisters. Soak your feet in the hotel tub and elevate on pillows at night if they hurt or swell, because you have to be ready for the next day! To blend in with locals, peruse the Uniqlo catalogue online and dress like that. Lots of scarves. Definitely lined gloves. If you yourself will be responsible for lugging your bag around a lot, I support your goal of going as light as possible. If you will be in a nice hotel, checking in one time directly from the airport and not dragging bags around much, I wouldn't stress about packing but take a bigger bag so you can relax on your prep and also buy stuff. The kids clothes are killer. And if you don't have the time for Kyoto, you can take a quicker day trip to Nara which is also a lovely and ancient city of temples and parks.
Wow, have a great time! My best advice is, don't let the preparation ruin the trip ☺️

Great advice! Thank you!

What are the truly great kdramas post 2016?

Mother, Just Between Lovers, My Ahjussi, Prison Playbook and Live have all been well loved by people here. I'm sure I'm missing many from 2017.

Forest of Secrets :)

The Guest, Rescue Me, Avenger's Social Club, Life on Mars

In my book, they would be Six Flying Dragons, and the two seasons of Age of Youth.

Though, technically, two of those ended in 2016.

Forest of Secrets, Just Between Lovers, My Ahjussi, and BTIMFL

I want to add Woohoo Waikiki, brilliant comedic writing, acting, and tomfoolery

It feels so good to be back!
No Facebook group can compare to dramabeans, the pro's are obviously here.
Been a busy bee this month.
Started watching Story of Yanxi palace and was determined not to start anymore drama's till I finished the 70 eps. Before I knew it, I was watching Hymn of Death, and then I started Encounter/Boyfriend and shelved Mama Fairy till I don't have anything to watch.
Because I enjoyed PFJ/IC I tried an episode of PRIEST, freaked out, and spent the rest of the night dreaming of zombies trying to break into my house.
That about sums it up. Your turn...

True - have tried a couple of the Facebook groups, and far too superficial - seems like every other post is a bunch of squeeing about some almost kiss. Soompi is not much better. This is the only place I have found for any serious discussions.

Oh don't get me started on those groups, the questions they post and the discussions they would start on a drama that is 8yrs old was too much for my poor heart!

Hello Beanies!
I've not posted in OT in for-ev-er, which is basically a good thing since for the longest time my posts in OT were updates in the life, times, and tragedies of me. Its not so much that its all smooth sailing (my boss has called me Tara for the last 3 days. Like seriously, WTF? I've been here 6 months! And that is nowhere near close to my name).

I have successfully introduced the lady I'm staying with to Kdramas. She is loving WYWS. We're up to ep 4 and after every ep she's like THIS IS SO GOOD, and then she makes intense eye contact in case I think she doesnt mean it and repeats herself, "SERIOUSLY. I am LOVING THIS"
What am I loving? The awesome tv in her living room. I have only ever watched dramas on my computer, or my decent enough tv via a roku. she has a 4d fancy pants smart tv and HOT DAMN does everyone and everything look amazing. I want to rewatch every drama ever on this thing just for ogling purposes.
I am really liking Encounter/Boyfriend these days. I cant wait to start PSH's new drama this weekend.
Oh! And I have a crush.
He has Jackson Wangs arms.
PBG's smile.
Dimples Dimple from Strongest Deliveryman
AND SEEMS NICE.
He doesnt speak a lick of English. And I understand a great deal of spanish I dont speak any. So, I stare at him in a state of swoon.

@isthatacorner, I am so pleased for you! First of all the lady sounds sweet and being able to watch on a big screen is such a great luxury. This wonder man sounds like a delicious adventure. ¡¡Buena suerte, mi amiga!!

That's why I watched Healer again, on my brother's 80-incher. JCW larger than life is good.

Learn SPANISH, it's easy, basically English but easier, with rules that make sense. And you can already read it, I bet. I'm stoked about your crush! And I've been touting the wonders of HD, LED, kdrama-watching since Goblin. Does she have 7 channel surround sound--because that's where it's at for all those gorgeous OSTs.

SHE DOES! My OSTs sound so sick on this tv thing!

I want to know spanish. I know more spanish than I give myself credit for. I have no confidence, is the problem.
I took spanish classes in 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, grades. Spanish 1-4 in college. Conversational Spanish 1-3 and a Spanish Language Lit class (I dropped it). I can understand a lot of spanish when its being spoken to me--and I probably have locked away even more than that because all of these classes are from like 10 years ago. Its a matter of unhinging my jaw and saying words.

And the best way to keep your language up is to “practice.” Sounds like a wonderful learning opportunity to me!

Say the words! He'll love that you are trying, and might even help you practice. Maybe ask him the Spanish word for dimple.

LOL! I miss being in a state of swoon!!