Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Memories of the Alhambra: Yay! I was keeping my hopes at bay for this show because (small voice) I don’t really loooove Hyun Bin or Park Shin-hye and wasn’t sure how this concept would work in action. But I’m so glad to have writer Song Jae-jung still on her game, throwing out imaginative and mind-bendy twists and basically being the gem in the K-drama landscape that we need right now, when every other drama looks the same. I don’t know where we’re going with the game storyline, but I find the virtual reality aspect clever and the sense of humor welcome (I died laughing at how long it took Hyun Bin to pass that first level, and the montage of all his failures). The glimpse into the future that closed out Episode 2 was fascinating if almost infuriatingly cliffhangery, because it piqued my curiosity so much — thank goodness it’s the weekend already! I’m definitely watching this one for the twisty plot and cool rules and not for the romance — which doesn’t mean I hate the romance, but it just isn’t the most interesting thing about this show.

Hymn of Death: This three-episode mini-drama dropped with relatively little fanfare, but it was a well-done and thoughtful melodrama that took a topic that could have been quite theatrical (double suicide in the name of love) and gave it a sentimental, bittersweet treatment instead. I was curious to see what about it was so special that prompted Lee Jong-seok to do the work for free, and I think the based-on-a-true-story angle definitely gives it an added hook, while the acting by Lee and Shin Hye-sun makes it shine in a quiet way. It’s interesting that this story (and the Hymn of Death song) are well-known to the audience at home, but it’s a story I’m unfamiliar with, so there was a sense of discovery for me as I looked up the background history of the talented singer, her married lover, and their tragic relationship. Tragic doomed romances aren’t usually my thing, but they did this one in good taste.

mary

Bad Papa: God damn that ending. I’ve been expecting it since the fourth episode and I saw the comments last week, but it still didn’t prepare me for the emotional punches (heh) that the finale dealt. I started crying when the gangster hyung ambushed the evil promoter and just kept watching through my tears until the credits started rolling. I love this ending and I love how Yoo Ji-cheol was a very flawed lead. Not just in an “I shout at people sometimes but I’m secretly nice” way, but in the “I know I’m doing something wrong, but I’m tired of my family suffering, so let me keep doing this for a while more” way, until you miss your timing and it’s too late to fix things. It’s a more effective cautionary tale because it sends the message that the best time to come clean was right from the start, the second best time is now. It’s not a hopeful one, but it lights a fire under your butt more than a tale of redemption ever will.

Top Star Yoo Baek: Either episode two was really better or playing it at 1.2x speed hides the director’s tendency to stretch out the gags, making the show such zippy fun! Orrr Yoo Baek’s secret marshmallow staring at Kang-soon got to me. Also the promise of more Captain Lee Sparrow-yeob.

Happy to Die: This is my mood-lifter this season but I’m always a week behind on it so this comment is out-of-date *crying*. I just think it’s too early for Baek Jin-sang to be acting on his imaginary loveline. What’s he gonna do every day his romance doesn’t work out? Annoy someone until they murder him into a time loop?

Memories of the Alhambra: I love writer Song Jae-jung *conveniently ignores two years’ worth of jokes made at W’s expense* but what I love more is the beanie discussions that her shows generate. There’s always a thread for everyone and Alhambra is no exception. You have the science beanies breaking down the show’s logic, the thirsty beanies talking about Hyun Bin’s dimples, the witty beanies extending the episode’s jokes, and the lurker beanies silently upvoting everything while trying not to laugh out loud in public. The only thing missing from this batch is talk about the feisty heroine’s antics. It’s a staple of Song Jae-jung’s works and one of the reasons I love her shows, so I can’t wait to see more of Park Shin-hye’s character. Gimme the next episode, Netflix! *makes grabby hands*

missvictrix

Boyfriend: I would like to bestow Boyfriend with the award for Least Painful Drama Started in a Foreign Country. For this I am sincerely grateful. I’m also grateful for: Park Bo-gum’s smile, Park Bo-gum’s bad dancing, Park Bo-gum’s adorable fruit-selling family and the warmth that emanates from all of them, Song Hye-gyo’s regal screen presence, the colors of Cuba, old film cameras, and beautiful cinematography.

Hundred Million Stars From the Sky: I was a little behind in finishing this, trying to delay the inevitable. I think I’m still recovering from those last few episodes. The most painful part for me was Moo-hyuk realizing he had been played by Se-ran, and that the murder and mayhem that ensued at the end of the drama was all based on a well-crafted lie. It worked so well for telling the impossibly tragic story of Moo-hyuk: someone who had callously played people his entire life finally got played himself. And aigoo, it was something.

A Love to Kill: It’s time for another old school drama for me, and if this drama continues like the first episode, it’s going to be quite the ride. Rain is such a punk! Also, I’ve only seen Shin Mina in romcoms, so watching her weeping and chugging soju in a dramatic fashion is quite entertaining.

Tags: , , , , , ,

These past two weeks have been a fun week for me and my mom, as I joined her in robot-watching my all-time-favorite robot dramas:

Are You Human Too: OriShin may have my mom's symphaty, RoboShin may have my mom's affection, but it was Dr. YeYoung-hoon who had my mom's heart. My mom's thoughts after this show was, "Having a robot boyfriend is really convenient, having a chaebol boyfriend is good too, but having a boyfriend like Young-hoon is the best."

I'm Not A Robot: This show made my mom squee like a high school girl and made her hit me endless because of happiness. Although my mom had to do so many things this week, she still postponed her tasks because she needs to see what happens after Ji-Ah and Min-kyu met each other again on the train. My mom thinks Yoo Seung-ho is the most handsome guy she has ever seen in her drama-watching career and I couldn't agree more.

Your mom sounds adorable! ❤️

You have a good mom.

Awww I love hearing your mom's reactions! Maybe I will show these to my mom too hehe

Kind of unrelated but how do you make the text bold? (And italicized, for that matter?)

Sorry for replying late. Mary have posted how to format texts on her fan wall before. Here's the link for reference: http://www.dramabeans.com/members/mary/?acpage=5

Hope I helped!

Buy your mom a big box of tissues.

Memories of the Alhambra iss so good. And great comments mary, there is something in it for everyone to discuss!

😉

Looking forward to tonight's ep. This is the most excited I have been for a show and lookong forward to where Song Jae-Jung takes us.

This... and finally having to listen to the first OST.

- Completed -

Overprotected Kahoko: This drama was really nice. I loved Kahoko's Grandma and the marriage. There are still a lot of developpement to do, even more since she got married, but I believe she and her mother can work on it.

- Currently watching -

Children of Nobody: Woo Kyung's mom is actually her step-mom, so that could explain even more the way she puts distance between them.

Clean With Passion For Now: We finally know Song Je Rim's character's job. He will certainly consult the boss at one point ans seems to have a connection with the female lead.

Dae Jang Geum is Watching: Hong Jin Young's cameo was great ! It was fun to see her and San Hae gush about food.

Encounter: I feel bad for the ex-husband. In an alternativae universe, they could have had a happy married life.

Fluttering Warning: Since Milk Couple isn't happily dating I'm sad and not involved in the story.

Happy to Die: Baek Jin Sang took petty jealous to a new level ! Thankfully, Lee Ru Da doesn't see their relationship that way but because of her, Jin Sang starts to have genuine feelings and might become more aware of his surroundings.

Less Than Devil: I anticipated this drama a lot and I'm not deceived. It was nice to start off with the detective's personal revenge and how he's viewed as a bad detective. I don't agree with his methods but seeing how the procedures can be too restrictive, I can understand why he's acting this way. About the reporter psychopath, the actress Lee Seol caught my attention in After Rain (KBS drama special) and I really wanted to see her performance here. I like her acting but since it's only the beginning, I'm waiting for the more complex part of the story to come. Both actors have good antagonist chemistry.

Manpuku: On hold.

Cautious, Hazardous Wife: It's an easy watch with an episodic format about an ex-agent who became a housewife. She and two friends help other housewives in dealing with various issues.

Priest: I didn't expect exorcism to take place in dreams. It's quite fascinating actually.

SKY Castle: Ye Suh's dad had a child with his first love and it's Hae Soo, right ? Oh gosh, s*** is going to go down. Except the new neighbour, I like that the two boys' mom went up against her husband who has an inferiority complex. I hope she will find a way to help her children escape from the harsh studying sessions.

Suddenly This Summer: ep 5. The main heroine is likeable. Her determination to study and enter a prestigious university even if people don't believe in her is wonderful.

The Last Empress: The Emperor and his assistant's relationship is finally out. I was quite shocked to see the Grand Empress Dowager throwing violently her pin to the Empress. Everyone is more or less crazy in the royal family. The niece is pitiful - muínus the way she treats her nanny. This woman might...

This woman might be her real mother. Also, a new member of the family we never heard of came back to Korea. This show knows to keep viewers entertained.

I forgot to add Just Dance. The heroine's relationship with her mother is interesting and I understand both of them til a certain point. The daughter dreams of becoming a movie director and to go to Seoul while the mother wants her stay in town and to work right after high school. The mother is worried for her and doesn't want her daughter to fail but the way she tells it to her is wrong. It only pushes her to actually everything she can to go to Seoul. The daughter isn't all innocent either. She's a narcissist (her real thoughts on her friends and her manipulating the girls to join the club) and isn't grateful to her mother for raising her. I hope their relationship will get better as the drama goes.

Watch the special to overprotective kahoko as well. It continues the story in a good way and showcases their married life

OMG I totally did not see that Hyena being Yesuh half sister coming kdjdhshsj. I think it's a cheap and unnecessary coincidence for drama plot but who knows what this writer had in mind lmao. i'm gonna trust the writer for now

Hyena that's her name xD I agree it wasn't necessary but it feels like the writer wants to make Ye Suh's parents suffer and especially the mother.

Yash that's her lol but I'm starting to root for Hyena omg and I can't imagine the mess Yesuh's mom will make and about to go through

I'm rooting for her too ! But she will go through a lot :/

Healer finished it in less than 72 hours. It's one of those dramas that I guarantee won't let you push the pause button. I feel the ending is too rushed though.

Matrimonial Chaos completed. Easily one of my top favorite this year.

Tree with Deep Roots I'm at episode 4, still don't understand what I'm watching. I need to read DB recaps before I continue.

Doctor Romantic, Teacher Kim I'm not happy spending 1+ hour to watch doctors screaming to each other. I feel for the patients of Doldam hospital...how can they repucarate in such environment? I'm still not sure whether I should drop it or keep it.

Boyfriend I can't elaborate why I enjoy boyfriend. Usually, noona romance is not for me. However, there's not much in Boyfriend that make me uncomfortable. It feels very natural and not pretentious.
Kudos for the PD and writer-nim.

Fluttering Warning I'm sorry, but I can't see doing this drama will help either YEH and CJM career. The last three episodes really get on my nerves. They spent at least 1/3 of each episodes for flashback scenes that we already watched!

About Romantic Doctor, I didn't fall in love with it until episode eight. If you can survive that long, it might be worth it? 😂

thanks for this info... I was holding out on watching the rest of this drama after watching its first episode soooooooo... I guess I need to hang in there.

Obviously, if it isn't worth it, don't force yourself! 😂
I think the arcs later are far more interesting and cathartic, but it is a looong show and it takes a long time to get there.

Okay, I can endure three hours more watching people screaming to each other.

“Memories of Alhambra I watched many dramas this week because of MoA. The agony of waiting for the next episodes is real.”
it me

Yay for another watcher of Healer! The only show with a recap thread containing more than 11,100 comments. 😆

Oh I wished I watched Healer when it was on air 😄

Well, it did air its first ep exactly today, 4 years ago. So, close enough?

Happy anniversary Healer! (Yeah, I'm not still obsessed or anything...)

Nah, we're not obsessed. It's just, that fine mix of cool action, dorkiness and little lost boy being healed by true love of another 'lost n found' soul is not at all full of feels or anything, NOT! And don't get me started on cool ahjumma, and loving dad ... 😆

ooooh a mini healer thread. I introduced it to a friend and watched all episodes with her last month.

Hi @saema It's been a long time! What fun to watch Healer with a friend!

@chandler I’m obsessed with Healer. Not gonna lie. One of my top 10 dramas.

Tree With Deep Roots: maybe read Wikipedia about King Sejong the Great. You know, while waiting for MoA :)

Thanks for the tips @lordcobol

Kisses for watching Healer Mano! 😘

@manohira—Agreed re. the quantity of flashbacks in Fluttering Warning's angsty episodes. Too. Much! Despite the uneven elements of the show, I'm hopeful that the show will still boost YEH and CJM's careers thanks to their demonstrated "chemi" superpowers.

Jaega is a bit..Fluttering Alert was a baad choice comeback for YEH, it's too much for the pedestal I had her on. Drama's also affect industry standing, and after just surviving a scandal, now this? Meh...

Ah—I'm a k-drama noob (watching less than 2 yrs). I'm aware of their other significant works but this is my first time watching either YEH and CJM. I can see being heartbroken when your bias is saddled with something less than ideal. *fingers crossed Show leads to better things*

I wish I could be as optimistic as you @tsutsuloo. I hope after FW, CJM and YEH could get a good daily/weekend drama to boost their likability. I don't understand why they never do daily drama before. I've seen many veteran actors do it. Or maybe they never get the offers?

Daily drama get less money and more work.... And only lesser known actors who do it. I mean you don't expect SHK, PBG, PSH, HB, LMH, KSH, etc... doing that
It's like a confirmation of their status. I don't think YEH would want that. But her current isn't that much better

Dance Sports Girls!
The only show i'm watching right now. Glad to find my new crack in a while 😁

It's so lovely, isn't it? 😍

I especially can't wait for next week's "woman" of the couple 😉😁

Bless him, all he wants is to be seen by her as a man, and she dresses him up in drag! 😂😂😂

Can't wait to see Seung Chan in Dress .. kkkkkk

I already feel bad for him 😂 He did want to dance with her again but not like that 😂

Me too! And seeing it as the next recap to be posted makes me so excited! :)

Yay i didn't even noticed it. I guess it's just one episode recap. But then we'll have place to discuss the show 😁

Yesssssss

Same! So glad I'm not the only one who find the show quite Addicting. And Park Se Wan is AMAZING and very charming !

I'm learning to be better manipulator and wishing I'd been a more rebellious teenager. I'm loving the two girls who can't be separated too.

I stupidly thought I was starting a 50 ep drama just when it had nearly finished - so I could binge the whole lot - only to find out that it was only halfway because they were counting 30 min episodes.

Oh well, never mind. I'm enjoying My Only Alley (My Only One) tremendously. UEE is doing a solid job and Lee Jang-woo is great. I'd never seen him in anything else before - I'm not sure why that is dramaland, give the man more roles.

I'm on ep 18 (30 min count) and Jin Kyung has just joined the cast as the rich aunt who has come back from the States to shop for a baby. I loved her in RTDK and I love her here too. She's having a blast with that part.

Was I watching anything else? Whatever was on my watchlist before, I'm not watching it anymore. Just hooked on weekend drama craziness. This stuff is so addictive.

*where's an edit button when you need one*

My only ally . Not alley . That would be a very different drama.

Fallen down the daily drama tunnel, huh?
Warning: Once you're in, there is no way out.

It's a long and winding alley.

Sorry, I'll show myself out.

😂👏

I had a friend who got into daily dramas - in the end, she went to prison for conspiring to murder her brother-in-law who was also her ex-boyfriend. When she got out, her frenemy from school had stolen her job. So sad. 😔

For real? Wow.

Ahhh, now I'm disappointed. Excuse me while I go hide in shame in the dark alley.

Oh my god, now I'm worried that my father is a murderer without me knowing, and has a job as a driver of the woman whose grandson has just got married to the daughter of the victim.

YOU GOT ME THERE

LOLOL! Couldn't be more makjang if I tried.

It's a weekender but the tunnel feels very similar.

When I got into Wolgyesu, I couldn't think of anything else for weeks! 😂

Wolgyesu was the only weekend family drama that I could follow through until the end😂
Lee Dong Gun being an awesome male lead helped a lot. Haha

Thank you, @mrsdimple! It's the drama that made me fall in love with Lee Dong-gun, so you can imagine how pissed I was when I found out he WASN'T playing a marshmallow in Fox Bride Star!

I'm watching... shows I didn't plan to watch (Cleaning and Boyfriend)...and enjoying actors I didn't expect to enjoy (comedic yet vulnerable Yoon Kyun Sang and warm ice queen Song Hye Kyo)...

...and I have dropped shows I thought I would enjoy watching (Fairy and Love Alert)... even the actors I love couldn't keep me in.

Forgot to mention I'm also watching Kim Gab Soo as a dancing teacher in Just Dance... and it is NOT a villain character!!! 😁

There's always time, but you're right he looks like a really good guy in this.

Idol survival is my #1. I'm obseesed. And a couple of dramas.

YG Treaure Box. Ep 4. Wow that was rather ruthless. I can picture the infighting between solo stans of the trainees immediately. Also what's with the cheesy editing? Also are you planning to debut two groups again? Did Bang Ye Dam go through 6 years of training only for a survival show? I have so many questions.

Under 19. Ep 5. Finally a new mission. Looks fun! And a BTS song, and two Block B performances! YAY! And today's episode will have the first round of eliminations. *sniffs*

Encounter. Ep 4. Really enjoying this + the reversed tropes.

Memories of the Alhambra. Ep 2. Really enjoying this but Hyun Bin really doesn't pick any likeable characters for his dramas huh? This is my third, and yet again, I don't like him.

The Last Empress. Ep 3. 20 mins. I catch bits of this ridiculousness every now and then! It's too good to pass up entirely.

Dance Sports girls. Ep 1. 20 mins. Loved the opening but where's the time to add a whole new drama to my watchlist.

Sky Castle. I really want to watch this too but where is the time? I need a Time Turner.

re: Hyun Bin's unlikeable characters

I like him unlikeable? I think if he played someone that was, from the outset, puppyish and adorable, the universe might implode into the deep well of his dimple. Just a theory.

But then the equation is do they ever become likeable? Secret Garden & Kim Sam Soon - unlikeable to the end.

But you're right. If Hyun Bin attempted a Park Bo Gum a la Boyfriend, I might just self combust.

Question*

His characters were not puppies like PBG but are nice guys in The Snow Queen and The World We Live In.

While I adore me some sweet and likeable characters (see: Lee Min-ki's Se-hee), I also like 'em dark and twisty (see: Lee Min-ki's Monster, along with the long list of sexy serial killers), and even though he often stays irritatingly unlikeable in the end, I do appreciate that those dramas don't give him a complete personality transformation, and thus keep alive the myth that the love of a good woman will make him change completely.

Re: Hyun Bin:

That is how I feel about Kim SunAh. I have watched most of her dramas. I know she is a great actor. Some of her dramas are among my top favorite. But I never like her characters. She plays them perfectly, I feel their every feeling, still I don't like them.

Also, this is one of the few What We're Watching threads where the character in the featured image isn't looking at a screen! It may be the first time I've seen one. ^_^ The power of Hyun Bin huh?

There was one where Daniel Choi was looking at a sandwich XD

Daniel Choi could be watching a sandwich & Hyun Bin could be watching us. <3

Daniel Choi was looking at a kimbap.
Daniel Choi only has eyes for Kimbap!!!

Oh man, I do wish we could insert gifs here.

I squealed to see him!

Of course you did.

😝

Memories of the Alhambra - the only drama I'm watching at the moment. Also, DRAMA OF THE YEAR so far, and the most exciting premiere I've seen in the last couple of years. (That throne used to belong to Hwayugi, and we all know the pure garbage that drama ended up being). Song Jae-jung always has the best mind-bending setups that keep me guessing. Hopefully it doesn't go south the way W did. *prays fervently to the drama gods*

I've dropped Clean with Passion for Now. I was dissatisfied with how the nonconsensual kiss was handled in episode 4. We get to see how disturbed Sun-gyul was by it, but we're also somehow expected to side with Oh-sol and dismiss his overreaction, and somehow view the kiss as cutesy fluff. It just doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I'll get back to this in time - I've been waiting for Yoo-jung's comeback since Moonlight ended - but for now that nonconsensual kiss is a pill that's too tough for me to swallow.

In its place (and now that the semester is over), I'll continue with Death Song. I dropped it since I found Shin Hye-sun a tad off in the first episode, but I heard great things about it since it wrapped up so consider me intrigued. Besides, it's an easy three hours despite the tragic story.

I'll also check out SKY Castle. I'm really impressed with the sudden and considerable ratings jump considering it wasn't hyped at all and had no trendy stars. It's reportedly getting the audience it has because of sheer talent in front of and behind the camera, and I want to see that.

Red Moon, Blue Sun intrigues me. I have no idea what it's about, but I'm piqued by the vibe of the teasers, and I love Lee Yi-kyung and have a sentimental spot for Kim Sun-ah. Will add this to the pile.

I highly recommend SKY Castle. It has Women of Dignity vibes :)
The mistery around Kim Sun-ah's character in Red Moon, Blue Sun keeps me on the verge. Plus Lee Yi-kyung does a wonderful as a detective !

In the teasers of RMBS, I keep seeing Lee Yi-kyung as his Waikiki alter-ego Jun-ki playing the detective. I have no complaints about this headcanon at all. lol

Jun Ki finally succeeded as an actor :D

And he bought a nice big new house for whole gang, which is why they sold the Waikiki Guesthouse and none of them are coming back for season 2.

(And no, Jun-ki isn't coming back without Bacca because Dong-gu will murder them if they break up lalalalala)

SKY castle is such a gem!

Sky Castle's synopsis sounded boring so it wasn't on my radar. Checked it out after hearing good comments. So glad I did! It reminded me of Desperate Housewives and the acting is stellar. Happy for the ratings hike...it deserves it.

Do not give up on Clean With Passion for Now. The episode itself actually did not treat the kiss as being somehow justified or 'no big deal'- on the contrary- it actually was a lesson in the harm created by such behavior because it shows that the victim is in fact deeply effected. First, he lands in the hospital. Then, at the end of the episode we see that it has so effected his perception of her that he cannot even listen to her and ends up assuming a lot of false things about her- and fires her. This is not treating the kiss as cutesy fluff. It actually shows the harm done by such behavior. Even though our leads will no doubt still find each other- and the kiss will in time assume a different meaning, right now it is properly shown as a real bump in the road- as it should be.

Life (up to Ep. 13 now): It’s the first time ever I find hospital politic interesting and that’s mainly because all the characters are really interesting. I am curious to find out the history between the President of the hospital and the CEO-family of Hwajeong Group.

Clean with Passion for Now: It is easy and fun to watch. Nothing more.

Boyfriend: I liked the episodes of this week so much more than last week’s episodes. I guess I am in the minority who isn’t this smitten by Park Bo Gum’s bright smile. It is a great CF-smile, but it feels to over-the-top and not believable in this drama. But I like the whole set up with a female chaebol who could never live her life as she wanted. Song Hye Kyo’s performance is just elegant and I like her here.

Red Moon, Blue Sun: This drama is sooo good! I’m so curious about Cha Woo Kyung’s backstory and who the girl is she always sees. Is it herself or her sister? And what happened between her and her (step-)mother? Besides, Lee Yi Kyung as police detective is such a great surprise. His and Kim Sun A’s performances are awesome!

Memories of the Alhambra: This drama is love on the first sight … I’m intrigued by the storytelling and I like the blurring line between reality and game-world. I fell in love with Hyun Bin again and I hope Park Shin Hye will get more opportunities to shine.

Master in the House: It was funny, how flustered all four were when they saw Son Ye Jin. And I would love to see Gong Hyo Jin as master. She seemed so funny and easy-going during their phone call. I like the show because you can see the life of celebrities you can’t normally see. The dynamic between the four 'Butlers' gets better and better, and the show manages to be funny and instructive at the same time.

I'm also part of the minority who isn't affected by PBG's toothpaste CF smile. I can't help but thinking of him brushing his teeth and flashing a smile in a CF o_o

Hahahaha! You cracked my ribs!

yes, they need to tone it down. Its too much grinning.

I always think of teeth whiteners, he must be a spokesmodel for one.

It is rare that top actresses go on variety shows especially when they "have to be themselves." I found Son Ye Jin's appearance on Master in the House interesting because Hyo Jin basically confirmed that off-camera SYJ is shy and introverted but loyal to her friends. SYJ admitted that she is trying to become more extroverted in her life. These episodes really were a gift to the fans more than the hosts as Ye Jin had an unbelievably successful year as an actress.

You are not the only one annoyed by PBG's toothy smile. Way overdone - I get the feeling he would be smiling happily while paying his tax bill and traffic tickets.
Red Moon, Blue Sun on the other hand is double crack.

My wife watched Ep 2 of Boyfriend. Says, “ He’s always grinning, like an idiot”.

Um... That is exactly why I didn't like Taek. He often looked a bit idiotish. Actually the only time I ever liked PBG was in MLDBTC teaser where he was dancing and smiling and laughing quite mischeivously.

I think they are asking him to do it.
I saw Park Bo Gum for the 1st time in I Remember You. He was wonderful at being sinister and cold, no smiles back then. He's perfectly capable of showing acting range.
I feel that he's being asked to show his sunny smile too much, just because he happens to have one of those smiles that can brighten any day. But for the lack of subtlety playing the charming happy boy I rather blame the direction of the drama. Bogummy is just there doing his best.

Unnie... what's wrong in being smitten by Park Bo Gum’s bright smile??? There are so few handsome men in the world!!! If we can see at least a couple of them smiling, I feel it is a blast.
On the other hand, (and more seriously) I also agree that smiling alone is not enough to create a character, and I don't feel that either he doesn't have personality or he smiles just too much. So far I believe his character, he is young and healthy and comes from a good loving family... I don't feel he overdoes his happiness and luminosity, I feel it is natural due to his background, and I love that about him. I wish I could be 28 years old and coming from a loving family, I would also smile a lot if that would be the case.
But anyways, I agree with you:
Song Hye Kyo’s performance is just elegant. And I am enjoying so far their interactions together.

Coalgate CF is part of the character my friends, if things take a turn for the sinister and we do see an "ugly"/no Smiley face from him, I guarantee ya'll miss it first! @javinne @midnight @windsun33 @mayhemf just saying...

Boyfriend/Encounter: I think I stopped breathing for the last 3 mins of ep4. I was watching it with my roommates and there was pin drop silence in the room at that point of time. And after it ended we looked at each other and started screaming in delight and running around. KDramas make us do stuff that we never expect from ourselves.

Chugaksei Nikki: Here is one more that is making me feel all kind of stuffs. Delight that they are finally both realised they can't be without each other but I am putting myself in depression thinking what if the worst possible ending happens for our lead (there has been no indication it will). But my brain just doesn't stop thinking. If the worst happens, I am giving up on all romance dramas in the world (after completing boyfriend). I'll probably bawl my eyes out after this show ends in a few weeks regardless of how it ends. This a drama that will remain close to my heart forever. Really Jdramas make you feel emotions that you never thought you could feel.

watched chugakusei nikki after reading the comments on mdl. an absolute gem

I want more realistic outcome. -ve or +ve or Open happily looking at +ve.
I won't even call the show a romantic one.
I have tried my sister watch this drama - which i rarely do. She has seen various scenes of it and i hope she will watch in next few days holidays.

Not sure that Chugakusei Nikki will have a "standard" happy ending. There are some love stories that are not meant to be, at least not meant to be a happy marriage that will last forever. You can only do the forever thing with someone that is in the same place in life than you, and these two are not exactly in the same place. I feel for the two of them, but I'd rather have them making a sensible decision regarding their future. They give me Anna Karenina vibes, and I still remember all the pain I went through while reading that book. Not again, please.

It's funny, I went from watching nothing to suddenly having three noona romances show up-
Chugakusei-Nikki - 🦄🌈
Love and fortune - 🎟️🌂 🌚
Encounter - 🌞♥️

Dance Sports Girls: Yes, something good! Sure, I'm annoyed with the direction - the lighting firstly makes me feel like I'm in a Drama Special, and secondly hurts my eyes. But otherwise, I really love it. Park Se-wan is awesome; I should hate her character, but she embodies it with so much charm, as do the other actresses. I can't wait to get to know Hye-jin and the girls better. 😝

Memories of the Alhambra: This is the first time a drama from this writer hasn't roped me in immediately - there's so much unnecessary expositional narration, which drives me mad, and why is Park Shin-hye even here? BUT. I loved the end of episode two, and want to get there. 😑

Miss Hammurabi: Ugggggghhhhh, why is everything so frustrating and good??😍

My Ajusshi: I started it, and it's as good so far as everyone says! 😂👌

why is PSH there? Are you serious? Why are you here...

Enlighten me, then. 😂
I'm sure her character will have a purpose later, but she was barely in the first two episodes.

Ooooh, that beanie is mad at you. Why putting down PSH? 😄😄 Yeah why you here?

Either that beanie misinterpreted what you posted or I did. Either way, Fighting!!

I love Park Shin-hye, is it unreasonable to want to see more of her in her own drama? 😂

oh i thought you hated her... carry on then!

Just DAnce : Other than the lighting problems, The directing is pretty good for me. It's low budget drama so I can't expect much. But each scene is really memorable, It's really grab the emotional wavelenght and grasp sublety the writers want to convey for me.

I like that it's unique, and I think it conveys meaning well. But it's also a little inconsistent. Sometimes it's washed out and bleak, sometimes it's vibrant and saturated but dark at the same time...
Anyhow, it's something I can happily ignore for the story and characters! 😊

The lighting in Dance Sport Girls made me think it was supposed to take place in the past at first. I wish they'd fix that.

I think it contradicts the message of the show - it's supposed to be hopeful and uplifting, no? But the filter makes it look depressing. 😂

Maybe someone in the future is remembering their past. 😂

OOOOH, theories!

Or maybe someone thought it looked arty and cool, and then (because it seems to be dissipating a bit) someone else gave them a smack in the head and said "knock it off. The viewers are going to go blind if you keep this up."

That's my theory, but @ndlessjoie's seems plausible too.

Now that you've said that, it's so plausible! 😂😂😂

That's what i thought at first, so i was confused when the smartphones appeared 😂

I was staring at the Hyun Bin picture on top and I forgot the other dramas I was watching.

Ah.

Just dance - really loving this show. Such a simple sweet show. The female characters angst and suffocation feels real.
Dropped - love alert
Twelve nights - still watching.

Oh yes. And Encounter.

Damn HyunBin, it’s all your fault :)

Excited what Ep 3 brings us tonight! Sucks that I have to be elsewhere first. sigh. Real world, my nemesis.

I alternate loving and being slightly annoyed with Twelve Nights.

My feeling exactly with Twelve Nights.
I love the dramas's mood, but this drama is also putting me in a mood.
Why don't these two just get each others' numbers from day 1 and start texting (i.e.communicating) like everyone else in their 20's??

LOL. Atleast after Ep 4 when technology became more widespread.

I have started using FF button for the last few episodes. esp the backstory/recap scenes

Twelve Nights was made for a rabbit watch. There's plenty of time for snarky comments during all the rehashing and remembering. (I understand that some of it's necessary due to the weekly format, but it's starting to get to me.) I'm renaming it Waiting Game.

Memories of the Alhambra: I had no idea what it was about, but as soon as Hyun Bin watched the sword descend from the ceiling into his hand all while the man in the background stood in front of the urinal, I was bemused. The montage of him failing to level up again and again, had me intrigued. But it was the smile at the end of episode one, the smile and dimple lit by the gods, that hooked me.
Fluttering Alert: Was I watching this? I don’t think I am anymore. The leads are nice people, but I can’t watch episode after episode of mopey nice people entrenched in noble idiocy. Especially if the rest of the cast and story is just bad.
Happy to Die: Why did this turn into a typical office drama of the little guys fighting the greedy corporate big guys? The coats are good though. So many good plaid coats.
Clean with Passion for Now: Problematic for many reasons, but I might stick with it to see if, for once, dramaland deals with a mental illness logically and ethically. (probably not)
Dance Sport Girls: Motley crews of misfits are my catnip.
Five Enough: Sometimes when I’m having trouble sleeping, I start a drama that I think will bore me to sleep. This was not a good choice. Talk about nice lead characters. The kids are adorable, but not in a sappy saccharine way. Of course there is crazy parental (and in-law, and ex-husband) interference and drama, but at its core, the message of this weekender was both sweet and bound in the realistic problems of modern families. I was particularly pleased to see them show the physical and mental toll of all the invisible labors mothers do each day to keep a household running smoothly. So, I didn’t sleep much, but I did enjoy this one.

I loved Five Kids! The leads had such a pleasant relationship - so many people were just there for Sung Hoon and Shin Hye-sun, who admittedly were incredibly cute, but it was the main couple that stole my heart and all their beautiful babies!

Sung Hoon and Shin Hye-sun were cute, but their angst was too drawn out. The main couple were so grounded and real, it was a relief to see a mature relationship written with such care.

Besides the ex, and the in-law craziness, my biggest quibble with the show was that the sister-in-law NEVER looked pregnant. She was pregnant for months and months and never had a baby bump.

Ah, I never thought about that! I think there are some people were don't show much at all, but still. Her character was quite annoying. I quite liked her husband's storyline though - he took a few weekend dramas for some cash, which I thought represented him finally maturing, and then decided he hated it and retreated back to film! 😂

I loved Five Enough. One of the better weekenders... and also a reason why I'm still following My Healing Love (which is not as good, but they share the main heroine).

Top Star Yoo Baek: Somehow, this feels like Three Meals a Day sitcom version. Funny, heart warming, and full of characters I can easily love. Actually the overall plot is very much like old school romcom, but I found myself enjoying each and every minute. Besides, it's fascinating to watch this while marathoning Problematic Men. The sweet  hint-giver Brainvely suddenly turned into this arrogant and prickly top star.

Memories of Alhambra: A very strong premiere that got me sucked in. I'm already preparing myself for the not-as-stellar second half, but this honestly has the potential to be a drama that push the boundary of conventional writing.

Red Moon Blue Sun: The mystery is intriguing without being convoluted. And the little girl in green dress continue to haunt me just as much as she does Woo-kyung.

Oh, you watch Problematic men? How is KJS's character there? I know ha seokjin is the brainy engineer oppa. Just curious.

Kim Ji-seok is a hopeless romantic and also a sweet hint-giver. They always dubbed him as the generous angel because he kept giving crucial hints to other members only for them to get the answers right long before he figured it out.

Top Star Yoo Baek is such a great stress reliever without the need to check out your brain! I enjoy every minute of it and all the main and side characters. And, yes, KJS is an absolute hopeless romantic despite the seemingly tsunderie front. How wholesome is JSM's female lead - acting-wise and character-wise.

Clean with Passion for Now maybe it's not the best drama out there, but I really enjoy it 😊 it's been ages since the last time I passionatelly feel the need to post comments/anything in DB for an on-going drama, but once again I found myself in a minority.. But it feels alright now.. A few numbers are better than nothing. I've experienced something worst last year in an empty comment section where I had to write comments by myself in a quiet recap like a crazy fan girl 😂 it had traumatized me a bit I wouldn't want to open DB for weeks but it became a memorable moment for me as a beanie 😊

I'm a week behind from latest episodes of The Last Empress and Just Dance, but I'll definitelly check them out after I finish checking dozen of CWPFN instagram posts on my timeline 😆

@keiru Which show was that, that had no comments except yours?

I think it was Clean with Passion for Now (CWPFN) but not that there weren't comments - that @keiru felt she was in the minority by liking the drama a lot.

*apolgies to @keiru if I'm wrong, and if I offended with my choice of pronoun*

@growingbeautifully @ndlessjoie
It's Doubtful Victory 😁 usually, when I came to a recap there were already several comments (I have never been the first). But in DV, there's nothing in it 😁

I still wanted to discuss something about it, so I had no choice but posting a lot of comments in the Doubtful Victory recap even though no one shared the same interest as me. After posting 10 comments or so with no one around, I left DB for a while because it started to feel hurt 😌

I think clean with passion is cute and fluffy. It is NOT made to be watched with logic, and that's completely alright. If you want your brain to rest, its the definite show of the week!

😄 It's all kind of fluff which brighten my Monday Tuesday

I love Clean with Passion for Now too !

I love all the exegerations : face, effect, etc. It's so funny and not cringey.

I'm not expected a serious way to treat the subject of trauma/PTSD because it's a comedic webtoon and it's not the point. I like how the heroin is "healing" him :D

I third this!!

Yes, CWPFN is not a drama for a deep analysis. But I understand too that people have different range of what's cringey for them and what's not. Also, how do you expect a dorky psychiatrist in a comedic drama like Choi Goon to treat Sun Kyul? 😁

@missvictrix You're watching A Love to Kill? I did, so long ago ... so much angst. I recall feeling frustrated. And that ending ... I can't say it made sense, but then, maybe it did?

What I'm watching ...
Children of Nobody (Red Moon, Blue Sun) - the best of the currently airing that I'm watching. This is the way to make a mystery-thriller. Keep giving us loads of hints and clues, Show, we just can't stop analysing them. Make everyone a possible perpetrator or victim, we love to keep guessing. Most of all, keep getting those children saved, you hear?

Encounter (Boyfriend) - Much better than expected. OK, I know some dislike it or find it boring and others are swept away by it. The story is simple but uplifted by wonderful music, great cinematography, much emotional turmoil under a deceptive calm at a pace slower than our hectic lives. It is refreshing in offering cliches that we thought would tell us what to expect and then surprised us. The music is the same ... some are familiar pieces that have unexpected sequences which get our attention, fitting the mood, all are lovely on their own. I thought the pensive mood of our lonely heroine was amazingly reflected in the music. Made me feel so much.

Less Than Evil - A true anti-hero show. Shall we be morally recalcitrant and start rooting for our lead to do more 'bad things' to save some lives? I think Shin Ha Kyun is better for these more serious roles than for the comedic ones, although I did like him in All About Romance.

Memories of the Alhambra - It’s intriguing for the high likelihood of reality and VR/AR merging seamlessly in a player’s mind. There seems to be hints of a portal into which players can disappear, which I’m itching to know more about. How the lines get blurred and how one can be extricated after being sucked into the AR world, is the draw for me. I’m also hoping to watch an epic battle between Jin Woo and his nemesis in both reality and AR, with Jin Woo winning, of course.

Fluttering Alert/Tingling Advisory - On hold temporarily until the good subs and proper synchronisation is done. It's hit the cliched misunderstanding and separation part which brings the show down, because it was only ever fun when the OTP were interacting with each other.

12 Nights - We should have come into 2018 for the final 4 nights. I'd like these to be more eventful than the ones past, with rather a lot more scenes of the OTP together, please! 😋

"Less Than Evil - A true anti-hero show. Shall we be morally recalcitrant and start rooting for our lead to do more 'bad things' to save some lives? "

I wasn't personally rooting for him to let people die, bad or not but i wasn't surprised that the drama went here.
It seemed logical based on the psychology of the main character: this "hero" is not here to waste his time, so he does what he considers to be necessary to reach his goal, which is not Justice but rather selfishly his peace of mind.
I wonder how far he will go: from letting someone die to kill himself?
Eun Sun Jae's influence here will be decisive.

People be watching alhambra and boyfriend while i'm out here being obsessed of SKY castle. SKY castle is a whole mess you think life will never reach up to but deep inside you know little everyday life they show on the drama happens in our daily life. Also love how they always put funny and silly music whenever things got intense lmao

All the beanies reviews about sky castle makes me want to watch it, I will probably check it out!

The drama's so.... Weird...and absurd.... And messy.... But it's all in a good way. It's like women of dignity but with less creep and more adults acting like children

Aha! This is on my to-watch list too. Alongside Children of Nobody. Your words might just push me to start it earlier than I planned!

Tbh I was like "huh?" when I started but it got me hooked

I'll watch out for the "huh" moment and hope I end up liking it as much as you!

It's on my queue :D Gotta finish the last ep of Chaos and Fox Bride Star first, because Bean Count!

Oooh! I think you'll love it

I would like to watch SKY Castle. But it's not available legally in the US. So, cant do anything about it.

That’s unfortunate.