Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

javabeans

Memories of the Alhambra: I’m not quite sure what’s going on in this world (what is reality? What is virtual?) but the way it’s unfolding is intriguing and exciting, so I am totally invested. I still don’t really care for the romantic connection (in that I don’t feel one yet) but man the story twists are keeping me going — there aren’t a lot of dramas that keep me surprised and are completely unpredictable, so I give a ton of credit to this writer for creating this compelling world. I hope it will remain consistently twisty and interesting through the end, but even if it falters I will cut it a lot of slack for being fresh and telling a different type of story.

Boyfriend: I finally started this drama to see how I’d like the chemistry — the setup is super obvious, so really it’s the execution and emotion that’ll sell it for me. Sorry to say, I’m at Episode 2 and I’m not really feeling it — he’s cute and all, but I feel no connection to Song Hye-gyo’s character and I don’t really care about their relationship. I might give it a couple more episodes just to see if things gel together more, but I’ve got one foot out the door.

Clean With Passion for Now: I also finally took a look at this one, which I’d been meaning to catch earlier. It’s… okay so far, but more flighty than I was expecting. I know it’s got that webtoon romance basis, but I still thought it might be more along the lines of Gangnam Beauty in terms of cuteness weighed against depth. It sort of feels like it’s just going for cuteness, though. I’m okay with this in a general sense, but not sure if this is what I’m in the mood for at the moment. I’ll give it another week.

stroopwafel

Hundred Million Stars From the Sky: It’s taken me a while to catch up on this show, but MAN. Broken. This was a great show but I found the ending so upsetting. I know I shouldn’t expect a happy ending from a melo, but I’d actually started to hope against all hope (and melo patterns) that the drama would provide a bittersweet ending. I normally steer away from darker shows but I’m glad I gave this drama a watch, despite all the tears I ended up shedding.

Fox Bride Star: What was that ending? I feel disappointed by the show. It started off strong, faltered in the middle, and spluttered to an anti-climactic end. You know it’s bad when I didn’t even care if Yeo-reum injected Soo-yeon with the weird green serum. I love Lee Je-hoon but apart from Signal, I realized none of his dramas have really landed (pun intended) for me.There was so much potential…what a waste.

Happy to Die: How can someone trying to be nice and good be so awful and hilarious? Watching a lovesick Baek Jin-sang who’s trying to be a better man is so cringey and awful — and I love it so much. Having caught up to the most recent episode I am on tenterhooks for the next episodes. I just want the best for Lu-da.

mary

Memories of the Alhambra: Can you imagine what kind of makjang show can be produced if Song Jae-jung writes it? She’s so good at throwing in jaw-dropping twists that she’ll probably revolutionize the whole daily and weekend drama genre.

Matrimonial Chaos: This show has been consistently good so I guess it’s no surprise that the ending was as cute, funny, painfully honest, and poignant as the whole show. There was never a moment where I got bored and thought, “All right already, just fast forward to your marriage because I’m sick of this recycled conflict.” I don’t even see the character’s “conclusions” as an ending, because this show emphasized that endings are actually the start of something else. Like most slice-of-life shows done right, the ending leaves me feeling a bit empty. Once again, I got attached to characters that felt so real, watching the final credits is like being forced to say goodbye to friends that I’ll never be able to meet again. 🙁

SKY Castle: I love this show and I can totally see why it became a sleeper hit. It’s about a group of families in an exclusive village trying to one up each other. I know it sounds boring, but there’s this understated hilarity to everything they do. It’s satire done right, because you don’t have to be screechy and throw in makjang twists to shed light on certain issues. I remember when casting for this show was announced and it’s a list of non-Hallyu drama veterans, which I hoped meant the producers were confident about the story they wanted to tell so they went for actors who can deliver that. The result is magic and I’m glad that the ratings are rewarding them for sticking to that vision. I can’t even explain how a simple toast or eye-roll by a string quartet can be so funny but SKY Castle pulls it off. If we’ve (historically) had the same taste in K-dramas and you haven’t watched it yet, please try!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

-Completed-
KBS Drama Special: My Mother’s Third Marriage: starring Lee Yeol Eum and Oh Eun Young. It should have one more episode because the mother-daughter relationship could’ve been more fleshed out. I still don’t caution the mother’s way of thinking.
Dreamers: starring Lee Hak Ju and Kim Sae Byeok. A detective lost his girlfriend and wants to see her again in his dream. There, he meets a woman who wants to meet her child. This special drama has the potential to be a mini-series. The concept of dreams could have been more fleshed out and the random sense of humor was welcomed.
Suddenly This Summer: My heart ached at some part of the story and the ending left me hoping for the best. It was nice to highschool sweethearts evolve in their twenties and encounter a couple’s problems.
-Currently Watching-
When Were Young 2018 (Cdrama): The story is set in 1996 and follows the story of Yang Xi, a high school girl whose childhood male friend, Li Yu, lives in the apartment above hers. He has a crush on her but she doesn’t know. A new boy comes to school and quickly befriends them. It reminds me so much of the Reply series. Believe me, you will swoon and laugh numerous times with Hua Biao and Yang Xi’s interactions, hear your little heart break at times for Li Yu or Hua Biao, have a good time with the group of friends, love the math teacher (Mr. Kong <3), appreciate Yang Xi’ family and Hu Biao’s grandma, etc. I highly recommend this little germ that’s available on YouTube (only 24 episodes!)
Cautious Hazardous Wife: ep 3. The fact that it’s episodic doesn’t press me to complete it. It’s nice to see each housewife’s story being explored.
Children of Nobody: That greasy guy gave me the chills (more than usual) when he asked the poor girl to him dad. I don’t know what to think about Woo Kyung anymore. Her involvement with the association against child abuse and the fact that she went so far as using violence points at her being Red Cry in my eyes. She just doesn’t know it but then we saw that she messaged him/her. It still bothers me because she’s not a reliable source, she was alone and could’ve imagined all of this happening. One thing about her childhood, I think her mother was the one who abused her. If not, why did her father try to alter her memories?
Clean With Passion For Now: Besides the fun rom-com hijinks, this show always gets me when it’s about dad and his job. I think that he might be more hurt by her hiding her real job than her actual work.
Dance Sport Girls: Finally, everything is out ! It bothered me to see how many lies she told the girls. When she told Seung Chan that she should apologize to her mother, I thought “Yes, that’s the priority but apologize to your friends too.”
Dae Jang Geum is Watching: I’m having so much fun with Jin Mi and Min Hyuk’s loveline. San Hae showed how much of an ahjusshi he was haha
Encounter: I’m starting to like this show because of...

Encounter: I’m starting to like this show because of the side characters. The driver ahjussi and the male lead’s family are such sweet people. I even feel bad for the ex-husband but I don’t want them to get back together because their married life wasn’t for their own needs.

Feel Good To Die: I believe the time loop will start again. Lee Roo Da can’t stay like this and Baek Jin Sang will definitely find a way to bring her back (with the help of Jun Ho)

Fluttering Warning: Fast forwarded a lot except for Milk Couple. I’m just waiting for their wedding next week.

Less Than Evil: Jeon Choo Man is absolute trash. How can he cover up a serial killer’s crime? Tae Seok’s wife won’t survive but if she dies, he’s totally going to lose it.

Love Playlist: Season 3: It’s always to see a couple I like break up but they need to move one.

Manpuku: ep 36. It’s nice to see the salt production growing and the reconnaissance of the restaurant owners. Hopefully, everything is going well.

Priest: I grow more and more curious each week. What does the Priest hide ? The video with the exorcism was tightening. The policeman is seeking vengeance and I feel like he’s going to be consumed by a spirit.

SKY Castle: I understand Hye Na needs money for her mother’s hospital bills but once it gets out – and it will – she’s going to be expelled and Ye Suh will die of happiness.

The Last Empress: Oh oh, I’m starting to get really invested. Like in all seriousness! Empress finally joined the craziness and is out here to take down the Imperial family. Grandma… I already miss her (that wig throw tho HAHA) but it was bound to happen. I wonder what the Empress’s brother wants for him to come back at this exact time.

Impressive list of dramas 👏👏

You're watching Priest too? Daebang! I think we're the only ones.

I think Priest is airing so close after the Guest so people don't feel like watching another spirit/exorcism drama.

I agree Feel Good to Die will have a final time loop reboot, but k-dramas have been bad at explaining sci-fi premises. I thought the time loop broke because the fired employee died but she is still in a coma, which was the cause of the time loop in the first place. The only way for BJS to win RooDa is to have events go back to the day before he fired the employee to eliminate all the events afterward including Jun Ho meeting RooDa. The unintended consequence of that reboot would be that the evil President would win and all the employees would be trapped in a corporate hell.

Kdramas always frustrate me with their lack of explanations in sci-fi and fantastic plots. If a big time loop happens like you described, it would feel like everything happened has been useless imo.

I'm pretty sure that time loop is connected to the contract worker who is in coma after attempted suicide.

Priest, I keep my fingers crossed that there not try to fit any love line between priest and doctor.

Oh it sounds like the right explanation for the time loop !

I don't want them to have love line... It's not right as a priest.

I wrote above before watching this week episode, and boy what a twist it was!! But it confirmed my suspicion that the girl in coma is connected to time loop with the sentence that she don't want to exist in the world BJS exist. If she dies time loop will end for good, but she still hanging so there is a hope, unless writers overhauls all that they wrote until now.

I admire you for sticking around long enough to see their wedding. Does it start fake but gets real halfway?

It quickly becomes real but the middle is sooooo painful.

I've been on a Cdrama roll lately and I plan on watching When We Were Young. I was just waiting to read a good review of it. Seems like I have to go and check it out. Thanks @mango

I hope you will have a good time watching it :)

Hi @mango! I can't seem to find When Were Young on Youtube. Instead, I found another drama with almost the same name. Can you help me?

You can find it on KUKAN Drama channel. It's the same official channel that airs the other drama you found. I hope you will find it :)

Memories of the Alhambra: 10/10 So you have to level-up to interact with Part Shin-hye's character - sounds about right. Few people are on her level.

Witch's Love: 5/10 I commented a few days ago that people could worse than watch Queen In-hyun's man, and that many of us do worse every week. I'm living proof of that, finishing this one just for the bean count.

God's Quiz 5: 7/10

Priest: 6/10

Mama Fairy & Woodcutter: 7/10 The epilogue to ep 11 was their best bit yet. Actually most of the epilogues seem more fun than the main story. I think I would have preferred the versions people were talking about when DB first talked about the upcoming show --- the versions where the fairy would recover her clothes from reincarnated creepy hubby, then "make him reincarnate" again. With reincarnation on one hand, and immortality on the other, vengeance can be both sweet and repeated :)

My Strange Hero: 9/10 Ep 2 wasn't bad, but it felt like a different show than ep 1. #1 was a 10, but I fear it may have been a fluke. Anyway, Jo Bo-ah is also a 10, so I'll stick around. And it totally makes sense to study Korean really hard to get a kiss from her :)

Happy to Die: 6/10

New smart hand-phone and learning Android: reasons why I am behind on Children of Nobody and haven't started Bad Detective yet.

Congratulations on a whole new world!

I'm awake when What We're Watching is posted. That's weird.

Revenge Returns/ My Strange Hero: I really enjoyed this whacky and slightly offbeat premiere. And YSH is amazing in every frame. Cross fingers it keeps this up, because the idea that Dramaland is going to give me an awesome YSH drama for Christmas every year is a nice thought.

Sky Castle I'm a few episodes behind on this darkly satirical look at Korean high society and education pressure but what I've seen so far is really tightly-written, incisive and disturbing. Highly recommend.

Memories of Alhambra I'm not going to let my problems with the female characters stop me from enjoying the twisty-turny road this writer will take us down. I just kind of hope there's not much romance - as much as I would yet another Candy/Jerk Chaebol team up (what are the odds of that?)

Mama Fairy This show was weird and random and surreal and funny, right? Right? What happened to that? Now it's just a boring love triangle of suck.

All I want for Christmas is Yoooo (Seung-ho) ~

I dropped Mama Fairy even faster than I dropped "Mambo Girl" (a horrible 1950's Hong Kong movie). https://youtu.be/g-0zGfLILLc

Lol that's so random.

Once in a while YouTube kicks out some really weird thing on searches, and that was the latest one - I felt it needed sharing :P

i am actually confused what are people hating on PSH's character..

neither is she written weak nor portrayed weak.. but fairly regular girl

I have the same problem with all of this writer's female characters. It's why I put off starting MoA until I could mentally compartmentalise it. She... really doesn't know what to do with women in her texts. It's so weird considering she is one.

🎵 Is this real life or it is just fantasy 🎵 That’s basically the song that runs through my head when watching Memories of Alhambra! I have heard of the writer before but this is the first drama I have watched of his/hers and I honesty want more. Such a fresh idea and so unique and plus Hyun Bins dimples make it more better 😃

Look, Bo Gummy is basically the sun! He shines wherever he goes and spreads rainbows and unicorns in his wake! He can never go wrong! I have so much affection for him and I decided to let go of my biggest NOPE of all time - noona romances- to give Encounter a chance. I LOVE it!

I thought My Strange Hero will be another school/revenge/unrequited love drama that I didn’t think much of it. But I am absolutely enthralled by the brilliant second lead/villain even though we have just met him! I will continue for sure.

It looks like this year will end with a bang with all the good ones showing at the moment and I am all for it!!!! Bring it on!!!!

That is probably the most accurate description of PBG I have read 😂

Hahaha! He makes it very easy! Just add sugar and spice and everything nice and tada! you get PBG 😃

I dare anyone to come up with a more adorable serial-murdery psycopath ala I Remember You in Dramaland!

I don't know if I regret watching I Remember You or not. Park Bo Gum was SO compelling, so twisted, yet so childlike - I never remember character names years after a drama, I only watched I Remember You once while it aired, but for me I look at Park Bo Gum and I think 'Min'. It was a performance and a character of a lifetime, and he just hasn't been able to let me forget it in his following projects, which is why I've never been able to get sucked in and go along for the ride in any of his other dramas. I respect his acting, and applaud his effort. I WANT to love him and get swept off my feet. But whether he's playing a saucy crown prince, or a shy, retiring boy next door or an energetic guy in his twenties with a dazzling smile, I can only ever see the lonely boy craving attention from his brother with the soundtrack playing for 'I Remember You'. Darn it.

You know what I haven’t watched it! Should I not?

Re Bo Gum @coffeprince4eva Thanks for putting my thoughts into words! Yes and Yes! For the longest time I refused to watch noona romances but I’m loving Boyfriend/Encounter!

😃😊

I hardly ever rewatch dramas especially when they're dark like I remember You, but here I'm wanting to watch it again right now.
Tl;dr go watch it!

well one theory is.. that all of this is/was game from the beginning.. the death that he is seeing.. the reality becoming non reality and vice versa.. all part of game..

think american psycho

1. Memories of Alhambra - still watching this for Hyun Bin, and the beautiful scenery. Agree with Jb, I am not feeling the romantic pull yet. Such an interesting plot and the ending of each episode left me wanting more. 🥰🥰

2. Feel Good To Die - Baek Jin Sang is so full of himself it’s downright funny and entertaining to see him falling in love and not understanding that Ru Da is actually not really ‘liking’ him. Hahahha. Still the drama that I look forward to the most. I love Kang Jin Hwan, and he seems like he has the time of his life playing the role.

Yet to watch - Encounter, Clean With Passion, Sky Castle

Recent week was the busiest week of the month as we're going to the end of the year soon and i couldnt slacking off during days. So i spent a lot of sleepless nights to download my current watchings and to snap the gifs 😉

My current watching list so far hasnt changed and hopefully the list stay that way till 2019.

These are the dramas that contribute to my panda eyes:

Twelve Nights
Clean With Passion For Now
The Last Empress
Top Star Yoo Baek
Sky Castle
Children of Nobody
Bad Detective
My Strange Hero
Memories of Alhambra

Dont ask me how i keep up with this list. Just look at my panda eyes 🐼🐼🐼😂😭

Memories of the Alhambra: Can you imagine what kind of makjang show can be produced if Song Jae-jung writes it? She’s so good at throwing in jaw-dropping twists that she’ll probably revolutionize the whole daily and weekend drama genre.

@mary, we got that mkajang drama with jaw-dropping twists that is a revolutionizing Kimbap’s world! Last Empress is like Red Bull laced with crack. It is a hella fun and delirious ride while watching, but afterwards I got nothing but a serious headache from all the insane plot twists accompanied by the octane-fueled soundtrack. Watching this drama with Beanies hosted by @Justme is officially the funnest experience after Meteor Garden!

My question is that the show's alternative title is Empress Dignity. When would I see anyone dignified in this drama? 😆

Don't make me watch it. *is already in queue*

😆 Mission accomplished!
I would just say that kimchi slap is for amateurs in An Empress' Dignity.

This week I find myself with many enjoyable dramas and have trouble keeping up, but luckily winter break is coming up for me and I look forward to drama indulge myself even more than usual:
Top Star Yoo Baek
Boyfriend
My Strange Hero
The Last Empress
Memories of Alhambra
Dance Sports Girls

Dramas on hold:
Clean with Passion for Now
Happy to Die

Really want to also check out Chingumode's (@leetennant) recommendation of Love Sick on Netflix which will be my first foray into Thai drama.

Looks like we're watching and enjoying all the same dramas right now! It's been exhausting, but fun to get this into so many dramas again. My (relatively?) new boyfriend is a bit surprised. Lol, I don't think he realized how intense it can get. And all this before I start my marathons of SKY Castle and Fates and Furies this weekend...

Fates and Furies was pre-empted by soccer this weekend. *sob*

Buckle up. It's a whole new world.

In the Thai BL space, Lovesick is almost a blueprint. It was pretty well the first big BL they did and most of the others are either variations of it or responses to it.

I just hope they add season 2 soon because the first season is almost like a prologue.

While doing chores I usually have a C-drama on so I don't have to read subtitles and not feel like I have to pay my undivided attention. Excessive flashbacks won't even bother me because I probably miss them the first time. But as it turns out Our Glamorous Time is not even be good enough as a chore drama because I cannot FF all the boring non-OTP scenes while washing dishes!!!

I had to drop OGT after it became dire. Have you tried Story of Yanxi Palace?

Yes @dramafan12! I think I made it through 40ish episodes but just got a bit haremed out 😅 But I do plan to pick it back up soon.

Those women are lethal!

Ah, so you understand Mandarin? Lucky you!

"Haremed out" is my new verb of the week. But how will I it fit this into casual speech? 😛

I'm up to 54 on Yanzi Palace but would be finished if I didn't have such good self-control...
Am enjoying My Only One as well as Children of Nobody and Less than Evil. Will get back to Happy to Die after Yanzi is over. It's my daily fix.

I just finished OGT yesterday and yup, I ff-ed eeeeeverything non-OTP moments.

😂 C-dramas, when will you change your business model and start making dramas with much tighter story telling??? Please don’t do 50+ episode dramas if you ain’t got Nirvana in Fire epic tale!!

The script felt like it went through some sort of high-level Better Business Bureau wringer. How could something that started with a literal explosive meet-cute end up becoming a crashing bore?

I gave up on OGT at around 25 eps. So much unnecessary filler, even for a c-drama.

So, this week I finally started Great Teacher Onizuka. Despite most online comments saying it was too old. God, guess I'm old too since I have no problem watching stuff from the 90s.
Finished all subbed episodes of Kyou Kara Ore Wa! )8/10) and I like the maga way of the story, so I started Yuusha Yoshihiko too (since they have the same director)
Watched the last subbed episode of Chugakusei Nikki, and I think I won't watch episodes 10 and 11 until it's a confirmed HEA. Yes, I'm a little petty about that.
Else, I dumped We got married as a job, because it wasn't pulling me in.
I'm starting the original Japanese version of Matrimonial Chaos.
Since there's a k-drama remake, I'm starting Legal High too.
Also watched the first episode of the short j-drama "Kono koi wa Tsumi na no ka"
As for K-dramas :
Watched the first 2 episodes of My Strange hero. I'm here only to watch Kwak Dong-yeon and Yoo Seung-ho. The story seems unoriginal.
Memories of the Alhambra - It's a good pastime, but I'm gonna need some character development here.
Clean With Passion for Now - It seems like the screenwriter needs those weird cliffhangers every Tuesday to keep the viewers watching, but I dislike it. The ML is great when the writer is not in her crack mode.
An Empress Dignity - This is the drama to top the dramas and I wonder how much more tropes they can stick to it.

G.T.O. and Saikou no Rikon! ♥

I didn't watch the latter's SPs those. There's just too much rage in the reviews. XD

The first GTO was not bad, but all the following were nothing but a rehash of the first.

Oh... must be why I like it so much haha I only ever saw the first. >__<

The Takashi Sorimachi version of GTO? I love that! I remember watching it when I was a little girl. That was the first Japanese drama exposure for me as far as I can remember 😂

I remember Great Teacher Onizuka was very popular when I was in college, but for some reason I never got to watch them.
I never have problems watching old stuffs (my eyes beg to differ tho..). But the problem is where can I see it? I live in place where the only legal sites for dorama are VIU and Netflix (and VIKI, but most of their dramas are not available on my region).

I use illegal sites for j-dramas. It's not my choice, but it's the only way unfortunately.
Just search on google "drama name episode 1" and try the links. I hope you have a good add-block :)

I don't mind living dangerously 😄 But if there's a better option I'd go for it. Last time I watch old stuff was Hundreds Million Stars from Sky, the 2002 dorama version. I got bad headache for days after watching it. My poor eyes...😄
Thanks, I hope I'll get one with better resolution.

Kissasian has it in 720p.

isn't it funny (actually not) that we try to focus the low-res images in 360 or lower to try to sharpen the picture in our minds.... headaches, YES...

I liked Legal High, I enjoyed both seasons.

NigeHaji - is in my all time top list - Slice of Life Romance.
Kenomare is quite interesting too.
Kyou Kara Ore Wa got it well deserved recognition a bit late.

Nigehaji was adorable 🥰
Probably the only drama where I don’t skip the ending theme song. They were too cute dancing to that song. Haha. And it’s the drama that introduced me to Hoshino Gen. Adorable. 😋

Eita is the best, well all four of the main characters are great, but my fav was the super neurotic husband played by Eita!

Children of Nobody - I love this show and moments in episode 8 had me so genuinely uneasy I almost threw up. Kim Sun Ah is obviously great but man Lee Yi Kyung is just killing it as Ji Heon. We’re still getting more questions than answers but it’s such a compelling show that I don’t even mind.

My Strange Hero - Jo Bo Ah is usually playing characters annoying enough to make me drop shows so I’m so happy to see her in something different here.

Clean With Passion - Im still enjoying this and while I like our leads together I did find myself wishing she would be with Mr Choi for a second. I just really don’t enjoy the way Oh Sol is spoken to sometimes by someone that’s supposed to be falling for her.

Boyfriend - This show is cute and I don’t really need it to be anything else. Its thoughtful and sweet and a nice show to get my mind off of the horrible things I just watched in Children Of Nobody.

Less Than Evil - I’ve never seen the original Luther but I really like this.
Also Luther fans are very annoying.

"Also Luther fans are very annoying."

They are indeed. Always making comparisons to underline how the kdrama doesn't live up to the original.

By contrast, fans of Life On Mars embraced the remake, just for the sake of being told again a story that they love and getting to see again characters and relationships to who they couldn't say goodbye.

Hmm, maybe I better keep my thoughts on Less Than Evil to myself.

I must clarify that It's the constant comparison that i find annoying.

However, everyone is allowed to not like Less than Evil/Bad detective and to consider it a bad drama without having watched the original.
I won't contest that it had its flaws....

Encounter: LOVE it! This might just turn out to be, hands down, the romance of the year for me! The more I think about all the little things that happen in this show, the more keyboard smashes I started doing. I wonder how long it has been since a romance last got me this excited, & turned me into a ball of feels. I will have to go do an MDL check on dramas released last year & backwards.

Memories of the Alhambra: I wouldn't say I am completely immersed in this show like everyone else is. The game itself is interesting enough, & the action fun enough, to keep me coming back for more. I don't feel anything between our leads yet. Which is probably a bad sign, but we will see. I will, however, be really excited for this show if Emma turns out to be the FL.

I really liked your whole 'Rapunzel' analogy and you should repeat it here. You made me want to pick this show up!

@leetennant

Cool. Did someone else also pick up on the Rapunzel.
Can you point me to where as I am so interested to see what their take is?

She mentioned it on the rabbit chat forum. Hopefully she'll wander by when she wakes up and post it here too.

@leetennant
Thanks so much.

FYI, just in case your are intersted my Rapunzel take is #8 Comment on the Ep5 recap. (Sorry I can't link it as I am not registered)

Thanks DramaLama - you should register and join the fun!

Mine is not as detailed as yours but yes, I do also feel that Boyfriend is like a modern day Rapunzel retelling, except that this Rapunzel is beaten down & has no magical hair that will help her get down the tower & run away. This Rapunzel will have to confront her oppressors herself if she wants to leave. & the ML is not a sword-wielding prince on horseback who will slay the dragon & rescue our trapped princess. He is, instead, the kindly fruit seller who comes to talk to Rapunzel everyday, the person who gives her comfort & strength, giving her the encouragement she needs to battle her way out to freedom. That's all that he can do, & wait for her with a getaway carriage ready. Cause Rapunzel's battle is not his, never was & never will be. And all that he can do, is more than enough for her. In fact, if there IS a typical prince charming in this story, then it's her ex-husband, who tries & tries to win her with his brawn & might, but fails to see that that's not what she needs at all.

@christina41218

Hollychopstics!!!!. I am so glad someone else saw that.

It took me until episode 4 to realise as I was distracted by the Roman Holiday remake in episode 01. (Roman Holiday wrapped inside a retelling of Rapunzel...thats some story structuring).

I am amazed that when you re-watch the opening of Ep01 (news montage + the animation) the entire story is there.

I'm... definitely watching the tango in Just Dance this Monday! 😄

So am I! Can’t wait. I usually don’t like tango and ballroom dances, but this show made me make a playlist with Buble’s Sway and Ed Sheeran’s Shape of You the girls were dancing to. This show is a low key jem. The blurred camera work is interesting too, even if I don’t understand it completely. Let’s hope it won’t disappoint until the end.

Still enjoying Clean with Passion for Now a whole lot ! 😃 maybe not here, but at least I have somewhere else to gush about it 😁

However, a post on another place makes me wonder about how it would have been if the male lead was still Ahn Hyo Seop.. 🤔
Despite all the flaws, would people still watch it only for, say.. visual? Because then the male lead would be younger and slimmer and anything you had hoped. And people would have said and shared pictures that the couple looked cute together no matter how silly the story was..

✌ I'm just curious.. 😉

That's a good question. I'm curious myself if it would have made a difference. Sometimes visuals play a role without people realizing it.

Yes, sometimes I wonder if there's "Halo Effect" which influences people's choice to watch a drama..

Like, just because there's this one actor that you like, you tend to assume that everything else in the drama is fine no matter how bad it is on other people's point of view..

And this "Halo Effect" can also be applied in the opposite conditions. When it's an actor which you dislike, you tend to nitpick every single thing in that drama

(Sorry for my bad English 😁)

I definitely think that goes on while watching dramas. Which I can understand, we all have our preferences. What i dont appreciate is when people attack others based on their looks. Which unfortunately is what is going on in CWPFN. I can completely understand why this show isn't for some people, but some of the hate towards the male lead is unfair. Especially since he is a really good actor. I love his portrayal of Seon-gyeol.

So, yes, I think there is some type of "Halo effect" as you mentioned.

By the way, don't apologize for your English. It didn't even cross my mind that English might not be your first language.😊

What bad English? I don't see any bad English. Seriously, don't apologize you English is not bad.

Unless my reason for disliking an actor is a moral failure on their part (see the many many discussions about abusers and sex offenders who continue to get work), and is rather that I find their acting lacking, I try to go into a drama with an open mind. Different writing and directing can sometimes bring a previously "bad" actor to a completely new level. Sometimes. If an actor is not an aesthetic ideal, I actually like this and hope we will see more of it in the future. More un-perfect please, and less insistence on faces and bodies with certain specifications. Abs are great, but not every body can achieve a six pack healthily. Besides seeing the variety of shapes human bodies come in means we won't get bored consuming the same old same old.

speaking of bad English, ignore the typo

I think the male lead is killing it. He is somewhat older, but he still manages to convey a youthful vulnerability. I love his broad shoulders and height. I love everything about this show.

Thank you for your compliment for Yoon Kyun Sang 😊 (I don't know why I feel like a proud mother whenever someone gives him compliment and feel sad when he's sad. I guess it's a side effect of being a fan girl 😂)

hmm..let c, I watched the drama for KYJ, but now I really reaally like YKS in his role, because he has great comedic chop, without being OTT, and I'm happy enough with his visual to the point that I could not imagine other actor as the male lead in this drama.
There, I hope my comment could contribute some ideas to answer ur question :)

Thank you 😊 I appreciate your insight @azkiya

I loved AHS in Thirty But Seventeen, he was like a cute puppy. But after that, I watched him in Top Management, and he was pretty bland. So I'm happy that he's not the main lead in this drama.

YKS is good in this. And he's not slim as other korean actors, but he's not fat neither, so I don't see any issue with his apparence.

Thanks @kurama 😊 I hope we can enjoy the drama until the end

I completely agree that it would have been a totally different and IMHO a better show with AHS (who was really good in 3017 and could have rocked this).
The current lead is fine but I dont buy them as a couple. He is so much older (in appearance and IRL) that seeing them kiss makes me uncomfortable. I dont think he is fat but he is physically so much bigger that it makes her look even more childlike which elicits more squirming from me...😬
Even though it's already a Cinderella sort of story the age/size visual creates a diff dynamic in their power imbalance that wouldn't be as disturbing to me if it was AHS. Perhaps all that is deliberate but throw in the pretty factor (sorry but if I'm gonna watch a face 40+ inches of 4k tv I will have an opinion) and I cant help but be sad about it.
Been stewing about this since I started watching and since KYJ so good (and insanely beautiful even in the cleaning clothes she looks like there should be birds, mice and other small woodland creatures helping her clean 🐀🐦🦋🐇🐿🦉.) I keep watching.

😊 I see.. Thanks for your reply, I hope he'll get a lead role which suits him the most soon too..

I agree with this. I like Kyun-sang and he's definitely the superior actor to Ahn Hyo-seop on skill alone, but a romance - especially a romcom - lives and dies by the chemistry between its leads. He's doing very well as Sun-gyul when he's by himself. But I simply don't find him and Yoo-jung having that squee factor together as an OTP, and therein lies the problem. Hit romcoms like Why, Secretary Kim and Strong Woman Do Bong-soon had paper-thin plots, but the leads were just so shippable, people watched in droves to see the chemistry. That kind of must-watch romantic appeal isn't present in CWPFN.

I do think Ahn Hyo-seop would have been better with Yoo-jung and the whole romcomy chemistry thing. But we'll never know that now.

True! I'm not feeling any kind of chemistry between them. When he scolds her, I get this grumpy uncle vibe instead.

@noelle Elle @bluekitchen
Aah yes.. Feelings are subjective and sometimes can be the strangest thing which can't be understand by simple logic

Like, you can show me the most famous real life Song-Song couple or BoYoo or another most known dramaland couple and I still can say I'm not feeling them at all.. It's weird indeed.. 🤔

true @keiru! Sad thing is that I want them to have chemistry. The BTS videos show them laughing and they look so cute. Their off screen chemistry seems better than what I see in the actual show
. Maybe because he's always frowning? Anyway I'm strangely hooked to this show. I liked EP 7 (but I may be getting 2nd lead syndrome hahaha) and waiting for EP 8 subtitles.

Just out of a drama slump and so I am watching a grand total of ONE drama -

Memories of the Alhambra At episode 3 now. I can't say the show sucked me in although I have sunk into the Dimples Abyss. In comparison, W hooked me in from word go. Sadly, it didn't end well so I hope the writer do better this time nonetheless. I think if it's not for Hyun Bin whose character is a charming ass, I'd enjoy it even less. I do support this writer's works even if they weren't always consistent from start to finish. Kdrama world needs writers who give us something different from the run of the mill stories.

Dramas I am considering to add to my watchlist:
Boyfriend - Is Jang Seung Jo reason enough to watch this? How much screen time does he have?
Sky Castle - This drama caught my attention when I read that it surpassed Alhambra with a cast with only a few faces I can recognize. I love an underdog.
Happy To Die and Top Star Baek - I need a comedy. Partially watched both premieres - I don't know what to make of Happy to Die. Is it like Groundhog day? I'm wondering how long can the gag entertain? Top Star Yoo Baek could do with a shorter episode.

Felt like I haven't seen you forever Outie!

Jang Seung Jo doesn't have much screen time yet in Boyfriend but his character is interesting and his motivation mysterious. But I am really liking the drama's wistfulness and it is a delightful watch.

I am loving Top Star's wackiness and heart, and find My Strange Hero has a really strong start with a great balance of silliness and gravity.

Hi there kimbap noona! I'm back in earth's orbit.

Thanks for the heads up, I think I will wait and see how Boyfriend turns out.

I'll probably pick up Top Star again. I have a soft spot for both leads.

@outofthisworld

RE: Boyfriend. This show is way more interesting if you look at it as not just a romance but a prison break.

How do you plan an escape without anyone noticing and how do you find an accomplice when everyone around you is a spy.

You wrap it in a romance and everything is a test. BOOM. Love is so much more.

P.S. the show sets this frame itself in the very opening of ep01. We just forget that fairytales are never what they first appear.

No matter how many dramas or movies Mr. Dimple has played, wherever he spoke in a low voice, I could remember vividly him as Sham-shik in "MNiKSS" and tried to persuade Sam-soon into something... Oh My, I just can't forget that character, LoL.

Watching KBS drama Special starring Kim Mo Yul and Bo Gyeol. Spoiler: It's an unique Story, the story take side a psychotic point of view and his insecurity.

Just Dance : the only airing show I get invested in right now. The latest eoisode really make me cry, because i relate so much to the protagonist insecurity.

Yes! Someone watched Forgotten Season!
I loved it so much, I basically wrote an essay on it!

I want to read your essay.

Kim Mo Yul you say? I'm in. Is this on the 'usual sites'?

It's on the KBS World YouTube channel!

KBS world channel upload it with eng subs. You just search the tittle on youtube.

Thanks @missjb and @frabbycrabsis

I am so going to read your write up once I watched the drama.
The last attempt I tried to pour out my love for My Beautiful Banker Bride, I only managed incoherent words like push-ups, pull-ups and tight pants.

I run out of steam at the end and it's all broken thoughts 😂

I got feeling that the writer feel that same because after interesting start it became just Kim Mo Youl running and running and running.

Kim Mo-yul <3. Why can't he be in a sageuk with PD Kim Ji-won?

Lol IKR?

Spolier alert

The Last Empress made me so frustrated. That dungeon is like a hotel. People get thrown in and locked up and it's okay, because they just have to wait for you-know-who to show up, and say grandly, "Get out of my way if you value your life."

So who killed the grandmother?

A. The evil mother
B. The evil nanny
C. The evil Yura
D. The evil emperor

I'm looking forward to Memories of The Alhambra. I'd like to see more romantic scenes between Hyun Bin and PSH. I think that they sizzle together, that flirting and smiling and dimpling, and that shyness and sweetness and her face so openly revealing how much she likes him. And he knows it.

Or maybe she is not dead at all and is just faking it and is going to make a grand entry with her wig off and cushion in hand ready to fight again! Gosh I am gonna miss her!
(I think it's 'A' for now)

Thank you for making me laugh so hard. I needed it!

💙

I think Yura did it. The hairpin seems to be the clue, since we saw her do her flying dagger stunt at the mirror, targeting Yura.

Hmmm possible!

You know what, with the show is going, I won't be surprised if the grandmother's secretary also turns out to be the one responsible for it!

The way things are going, I wouldn’t be surprised if Grandma reappears as a sword-wielding zombie a la Alhambra.

*waves from the Top Star-ssi ship*
You are outdoing yourself in your role as the island @yyishere. 👌🏖

Thanks. If all works out, I may be taking on a challenging role next year. @ally-le will be writing the script. It's called The Last Alley. I'll be playing the alley, of course, and it's going to move everyone to tears because I'll be the last alley standing, the rest having been wiped out.

I’m thinking zombie movie, where zombies have no where to live and love except for alleys, but they are being exterminated due to their cannibalistic nature. And the alleys end up obliterated as well. The Last Alley has the double meaning: the last area zombies can live in peace, the last place humans haven’t destroyed.

that flirting and smiling and dimpling

Best parallel construction of the day.

Dance Sports Girls: 😍

Bok-soo's Back: 🤤

My Ahjussi: 😭

That's a great list!

Haha, I want to pick up Boyfriend too, but my Mum is insisting that we watch it together but has no time for me! 😂

I haven’t posted here in a while. I’m pleased to report I am out of the Slump! 😊

I’m watching Top Star Yoo Baek and enjoying it immensely, bad subs and all. Lee Sang Yeob is pulling out all his charms to induce SLS, but man, Kim Ji Suk is one good-looking fellow. A superficial beanie cannot resist. 🏄🏻‍♂️⛵️💪🏻💪🏻😎

I also caught the premiere of My Strange Hero/Bok Soo is Back. I adored episodes 1-2. Ep. 3-4 turned a bit dark, as expected, but I hope the whacky humour continues... Also, Kwak Dong-yeon’s psycho cold eyes gave me the creeps. I expect a worthy villain for this show. 😅🏍💗

Time to watch episode 5 raw?

And by that I meant Top Star.

Is it out? *reaches for laptop*

How bad are the subs for Top Star? Like Google Translate bad? Like random English thrown in a blender? Please share 'cos I love this stuff.

I believe they were translated into English from Indonesian subtitles with help from Google Translate. I am grateful to have any subs of course, but sometimes the sentences make little sense and the sudden swear words knock me off my chair. 😂

Ah, I see. Too bad the show lacks an organized effort like the Avengers Subbing Club.

What i'm currently watching:

1. Memories of the alhambra - so many questions about the game. Or has JW gone bonkers and start to imagine the game in real life 😨

2. SKY castle - glad i took the leap and watch this after great reviews. The drama has depth. its very disturbing seeing to what extremes some parents go to for their childrens 'success' despite sacrifing their happiness.

3. The Last Empress - i decided to join in on the fun. And boy what a ride. I've watched up to ep 7, and will probably continue ep 8 later today. So makjang, so much crazy but its addictive 😅. I wonder what happend to Hyuk, he seemed very happy with his late wife but now he's just bad 🤔. I want to smack emperor hyuk and also yura. Both are despicable human beings. I dont know how can hyuk be redeemed. Sunny deserves far better. And i'm glad Sunny seems to come out of her shell and start to stand up for herself. Hopefully she gets a happy ending~

I wouldn’t mind if there isn’t any love line between HB and PSH because the story itself is quite unique and compelling. Plus I just don’t see HB’s character caring genuinely for anybody. All we’ve seen so far is that he’s ambitious, ruthless and calculating. Also hot.

I'd be so so so so sad if there's no romance between the leads. I'd be so so so so so so so so sad.
😢😢😢😢😢😢😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

He's so hot yes. Do not cross that out.

I can't believe it has finally happened in like more than an year but I am watching more than one drama! It feels so nice to be rid of the recurring drama slump!

Currently Watching:
Memories of The Alhambra - It's honestly one of the best dramas airing right now! I don't know when the hour passes and all I wish for is more!

The Last Empress - I was watching it for the over-the-top crazy but I think I might just be falling for the extraness that is this show!

Just Dance - This is not anything new but it has a lot of heart! It reminds me of AM97 with the female lead being headstrong and loud and the male lead being a wuss in love. The dance till now is nothing great tbh but I am watching his for the story and not the dance. Plus I am gonna wait for the warm friendship that is bound to develop among the Dancesports girls.

Boyfriend- I am with Javabeans on this... I still haven't watched ep 6 and don't know if I want to. Maybe I will wait for the recap and see what is going on...

Feels Good to Die - I am trying to catch up! How I wish there were recaps somewhere so I could just skip the unnecessary parts!

YG Treasure Box - YG is an ass. But the trainees are talented kids and I am basically seeing him make and break the kids' lives. What sort of evil am I participating in!

On YG Treasure Box - the editing (as I keep saying to you) is horrendous. He wants to debut Team A (minus Do Hwan(?) I think) + Haruto. He's also giving time to a few others on screen, but I think those 6 have gotten the most screen time. YG is an ass. * nods * I don't understand why I'm watching these kids be tortured but here I am. Watching.

That guy who looks like SHINee's Minho also gets a lotta screentime, probably because of his looks!

Many from Group A are gonna make the cut for sure!

Oooh good catch - youre right. As did Park Jeong Woo & one other fellow. So lets see.

Boyfriend: Like the twist on the tropes. Mom doesn't give a darn about her daughter, mom-in-law thinks she's the best thing for her son, the ex does the most solid noble non-idiocy in k-drama history. I have enjoyed the low key romance but episode 5 was a little slow for me. Things perked up in 6 and I think we have a gal who is getting her spark for life back, and I'm invested in her growth almost more than the romance.

Memories of Alhambra: I think the story is set and we are ready to rock and roll. It's fine but I don't find it addictive yet.

Where Stars Land: Finished up and glad it was set in an airport and not a hospital, law firm or office. Just left with a feeling they could have done something more because they had a talented set of actors.

Happy to Die: Is it bad that the more he dies, the happier I am? Hilarious. This drama reminds me how much I love this actor and I wish he did comedies all the time. I will admit to occasionally skipping some corporate politics.

Children of God/Red Moon-Blue Sky: Probably the most addictive drama I'm watching. I got in late which meant I could binge. The 30 minute episodes actually work for me on this drama and I realize how I don't think about time when I'm watching. This writer did Achiara and I dropped that due to pacing and the story spinning its wheels. She's upped her game here big time so kuddos. Hope she can bring it home.

My Strange Hero: Solid start and am looking forward to more.

The Last Empress: I heard it was silly and passed. Heard it was fun makjang and jumped in and - yep - I have to skip some stuff because I can only take so much, but it is a lot of fun and I hope/look forward to Sunny finding her way (I am behind).

Story of Yanxi Palace: I have stalled with 10 episodes left, but no way I don't finish this after watching 60 of 70 episodes.

In other news, I noticed Viki getting more J-dramas. Subsequently heard that they've done a deal with some Japanese companies so hopefully they'll get some solid J-drama offerings as time goes by.

Children of Nobody: Same! It’s my current addiction as well! Drama is making my brain work full time and I love it.

I live for Children of Nobody. It is my only real crack right now, though Less Than Evil is climbing up there. Fates & Furies is looking interesting, but not totally committed to it yet.

Really? I have to check Viki out then..

@sorrynotsorry

Boyfriend: I think you are underestimating her political awareness. She lost her innocence in the marriage and now that they won't leave her be...she has been planning a way out.

Ep06 declaration was verbally shown as romantic. But all the signs are it was a fully intended political grenade. She knew exactly what this would do to both mothers and her father.

There are too many clues she has been bidding her time waiting for a chance to escape. Hiding her plans under reserved demeanour. She knows to never give more powerful opponents a warning.

Mary, you are tempting me with the SKY castle...

Revenge Returns (I like this title more than My Strange Hero, so I will keep using it) ep 1-2: It's been a while since I really liked a drama premiere within just few minutes into it. Yoo Seng-ho and Jo Bo-a have a good chemistry. The teenage romance is really cute and make my heart flutters. My chest felt like going to burst when Soo-jung kissed Bok-soo. On the comedy side, it is so hilarious. The BGM choices is so brilliant. It is the funniest and most heart fluttering romcom among dramas in my current watching list. I think I finally found my crack drama in this season.

Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter ep 11-12: It's so painful to watch Geum looks so down and sick. I completely agree with Geummie ship captain (Shin seon) about Geum and Ok-nam. This is the biggest SLS I ever have after Chilbongie.
I can't wait to see what is the revelation they have after the kiss (ugh... I don't like it that I literally threw my phone when i saw it, but fortunately i was watching on my bed so it's safe).

Clean With Passion For Now ep 5-6: I love O-sol's team. They care about each other. I love the secretary too, she is like mother to Seon-gyeol more than his real mother. On romance part, I'm just enjoying the push and pull between O-sol and Seon-gyeol.

Memories of the Alhambra ep 3-4: Even though I think the mystery get more interesting, I still can't feel any suspense while watching it. I still don't care about characters' well-being. I don't know why.

Dae Jang Geum is Watching ep 17-18: still fun to watch, except the love triangle.

Top Star Yoo Baek ep 4: I was a bit confused about the scene when young Yoo-baek is hugged Kang-soon, it felt jarring. Other than that I'm still enjoying the dynamic of the islanders.

Feel Good to Die ep 17-20: I just hope the writer has a good explanation about the time loop, why it started and what made it ended.

While I hope the time-loop didn't really end, because.....

I think the time loop ended because contract worker who in my opinion initiated time loop and is now in come has some medical emergency that worsened her condition, and for time loop to have happy ending she must be convinced to not to wish to die by BJS.

Top Star Yoo Baek: Ha! An eps dedicated to Kang-soon battling her wayward and naughty thoughts. Girl's imagination is just👍🏼😂😂🤣  And aww at our leads spending the night together on the beach. That was the most carefree I've seen Yoo Baek so far.

Memories of Alhambra: Song Jae-jung isn't playing around with this drama. We're only 4 eps in, but the fun and addictive game element already turned into something much darker and sinister. And with game characters crossing to the real world, we seems to be getting a seemingly unstable hero and a heroine who anchored him to reality. And I can't wait to properly meet Emma!

Red Moon Blue Sun: Once again, this drama showed me that I knew nothing about these people and their criss-crossing relationships and stories. When you couldn't even believe in narrator whose point of view you watched through, you pretty much has to question every scrap of information you've gathered all these eps.

I’ve been pretty absent watching dramas lately as I binged a whole season and a half of sense8 in 2 days. Drama wise only Alhambra has kept me on my toes. I don’t know where happy if you died is going but I love Kang Ji Hwan as Baek Jin Sang (nothing new) and the premiere of My Strange Hero was pretty good but need more episodes to form a solid opinion on it.

Dance Sports Girls The heroine was so selfish, I'm happy that things are clear now.

Bad Detective and My Strange Hero I watched 1-2 by curiosity. I will watch the next episodes before forming an opinion.

Clean With Passion for Now I'm still loving all their funny interactions.

Red Moon, Blue Sun One of my favourite airing drama! There are so much new elements in every episode, my brain has a hard time trying to handle all those informations. But it's very exciting.

An Empress's Dignity This drama is crazy O_O

Boyfriend I'm hesitating in dropping it or just watching it for the secretary and the restaurant owner :p

SKY Castle The story was a little bit slow in the last episode.

Priest I'm behind for this one.

Memories of the Alhambra Reasons to watch it : 1. Hyun Bin 2. Hyun Bin 3. The story 4. Spain (I'm happy they're still in Spain)

Top Star Yoo BaekI'm behind for it too but the fault to the subtitles >_< For once, a top actor has nice clothes ! (I mean when he is actually wearing them and on the island)