Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

mary

My Healing Love: Yeon Jung-hoon keeps being awesome and sweet and flashing his dimples that I keep tuning in despite realizing around episode 18 (of a 44-episode marathon) that they mostly stick his scenes at the start and end of each hour. Sorry, Hyun Bin, I might be infatuated by your bad boy dimples, but responsible good guy dimples is still where my heart is at. My second favorite character is the elegant mom, Heo Song-joo, who hilariously keeps getting away with hiding the real heir in plain sight. Whether it’s burning evidence, switching DNA samples, preventing a company-wide announcement, or even just mind-conditioning everyone to stop searching for Chi-yoo, this amazing woman does it all. Alone. Dramaland’s second-in-commands better watch out or they’ll lose their jobs soon if every villain becomes as capable as Song-joo.

SKY Castle: Why am I feeling distaste for the good guys (aka Soo-im), sympathy for the bad guys (Kwak Mi-hyang), fondness for the petty guys (Professor Cha), support for the troublemakers (Hye-na and Coach Kim), and giddy anticipation for characters I have yet to meet (Se-ri)? Because I love SKY Castle, that’s why.

SailorJumun

Currently recapping: My Strange Hero

Memories of the Alhambra: Ah, this show! I swoon just thinking about it. Jin-woo’s hellish experiences between life and games have always been at the center here, but I’m glad that there was more focus on Hee-ju this week. Her character felt pretty blah for a long time, and I mostly blame that on Jin-woo for keeping her in the dark. She’s still somewhat stumbling in the dark, so I hope that she gets more involved soon.

Boyfriend: We’ve reached the halfway mark and I still love, love, love. This slow, thoughtful romance is the best way to wind down before having to prepare myself for Memories of the Alhambra. And though it was nice to see how effortlessly our couple fit together, it was also nice to see them clash a bit. I’m not happy about Jin-hyuk moving, but if that means more carpooling with the awesome Driver Nam, then I’ll deal.

SKY Castle: I didn’t think I would be, but after watching the first three episodes of this, I’m strangely entranced. It’s both fascinating and horrifying to watch, so my brain battles between wanting to binge the remaining episodes and wanting to shut it off. The latter is probably due to that one annoying daughter (yeah, you know who I’m talking about). On the surface, these rich kids are mere pawns that the parents are obsessed with playing with. And the parents have no desire to stop until they win. I’ve never been one who was interested in watching chess tournaments, but when actual lives are at stake, I just can’t look away. It’s like these parents have no idea that their prized possessions are actual children, actual people, until it’s too late. It was clearly too late for one mother, so I worry about the other three. As for the new mother in the neighborhood, I have no worries there. I think this mama is fully capable of standing tall among this group of people determined to make her feel small.

missvictrix

Boyfriend: Help, I’m getting bored. Also, the excessive colored lip gloss on Bo-gum needs to stop.

Memories of the Alhambra: I continue to adore this show! The year jump really threw me off in a narrative sense, but I was satisfied with how they filled in the timeline over the subsequent episodes, and felt it was well done, nicely edited, and purposeful. It’s also a cool (and troubling) bit of logic to think that Jin-woo continues the development of this clearly dangerous game for the sole purpose of getting to a point of being safe and being able to control it. But it definitely feels like the bigger it gets, the bigger it gets.

Tags: , , , ,

Theme of the Week: you can't be disappointed if you don't have any expectations (From a kdrama).

Priest: 3/10 Pandora's box. Amnesia. Lost & Found Love. Voodoo. Pandora's Box. Nobly Idiotic not leaving. A crying female lead. Trope salad that made me miss the energumem-of-the-week. And did I mention Pandora's Box. If hypnosis can erase memories, perhaps it will work for the memory of this show?

Mama Fairy & Woodcutter: 4/10 So they explain it all and it makes sense, and I kept falling asleep. So the winged dress had butterflies... better than moths chewing on it for 699 years. Not really better than Priest, but slightly less irritating. And by the time this show ended, I didn't have any expectations.

Memories of the Alhambra: 7/10 Still the one I look forward to most among current shows, mostly because of the strong start. Still have expectations.

My Strange Hero: 6/10 Jo Bo-ah lives up to expectations. Story and supporting cast do not.

An Empress's Dignity / Last Empress: 9/10 Far exceeded expectations when I finally got around to bingeing. Empress sure can put on an act. I've never been much of a Jang Na-ra fan, but now it seems her character is a better actress than she is. I know that doesn't make sense... But neither does an Empress doing PPL vacuuming in the palace.

Happy to Die: 7/10 For those of you who didn't watch, you really should start it and catch the first few deaths. Then feel free to drop it.

Children of Nobody: 8/10 I fall asleep in front of lots of shows *cough*Fairy*cough*, but not this one this week. With Mother in Jan/Feb and this show now, year begins and ends with good shows about abused kids played by really promising little kids. (Note: Mother is show-of-the-year for me).

Bad Detective / Less than Evil: 9/10 Also not a "sleeper".

I had to quit Bad detective because I was bored. What about it do you enjoy?

Mostly the female lead. Let's just say, not a Candy.

This is fair. She certainly is not a candy, haha

The female lead is quite riveting - I can't decide if she is truly evil and out for revenge or starting to want to help him.
But she is good!! And the chemistry between them is something else.
I'm sticking with this show for now.

Havent seen thus version but I highly recommend the original, Luther. You cannot be bored watching that, I promise!

Oh girl, I lovedddd Luther, can't wait for season 5. Maybe that's why I'm bored with this one. Luther outclasses it.

Sorry, idk if you are a girl or not, so adding, oh boy

haha I am a girl but thank you for your inclusiveness! Ugh I get SO stressed out watching Luther haha I don't know if the Korean version can ever outdo it really :|

My problem with Less then Evil is the lead actor who is absolutely wrong for the role: he is screachy, pushy, superficial and extrovert, while Luther was the opposite. He was basically a depressed introvert solving cases and getting entangled with a brilliant psychopath. The FL was great and best part of the show.

The first season was good, but some scenes were quite disturbing. As a result, I haven't watched any other seasons. Are they as good as the first?
Finally - Idris Elba - need I say more?
*swooooon*

Love your number system. What I like about Empress is I can watch it raw and still know what's going on because it's so makjang.

Agree 100% re: Last Empress LOL every character in that drama is a great actor; and Shin Sung Rok is as great an actor as his character is. Also agree re: Happy to Die. I'm really sad about what it could have been (wacky & moving till the very end w/o the need for corporate machinations and a weak-sauce romance), but the first few deaths are more than make up for it.

When I see ML changing because of a woman, I always ask myself, "What is going to happen when they stop loving that person? Are they going to revert to their old selves?" And I'm convinced the FL ended up with Kang Ji Hwan simply because he is the bigger name. I'a also disappointed with the last time loop, because all the characters had growth that was lost with the reset.

- insert Petition to get Dance Sports Girls its own show page -
(Is it just me or has there been a lack of show pages for the ‘Currently Airing’ shows as of late? Out of the 14 miniseries currently airing from the 6 main stations, half of them do not have them! What makes me confused is that certain new ’popular’ shows are getting their own pages while ‘unpopular’ shows that have been airing for some time are left in the dark! I hope DB remains committed to covering all prime-time shows!)

The Christmas and New Year holidays finally gave me some time to watch dramas! I had a month’s worth of catching up to do (I’ve not commented on What We’re Watching for almost a month! :O) on the first two shows below which ended as well as a new addition for 2019:

Dance Sports Girls:
Admittedly, I was quite disappointed that Jang Dong Yoon’s character was used mostly for the youth romance (I know they touched a little bit on the gender stereotyping and his friends bawling together with him was hilarious), but the drama never really lost its main focus (friendship / family / growing up) due to the romance so there’s that. The show struggled the most with its romance arc with the whole parent’s-fault-children’s-burden trope: while it was able to avoid the terrible parents-meddling drama, the ending emphasised its presence in the story (forced happy ending?).

Happy to Die:
I was rooting so hard for you, Show! Instead of focusing on the oddities that the time loop brings forth and the hilarity that ensues (like the female lead screaming in shock at the end of the first episode), it went on to handicap character development until it was necessary for plot progression (hello rushed redemptions of CEO and Director Yoo before AND after the time reset), boring me with tropes from the office politics handbook (complete with family wars bonus). I do have to admit though that the beginning and the ending were really fun to watch, but the middle was a big letdown.

Clean With Passion for Now:
The ending this week made me squeal really hard because it digs at one of the most common rich-man-poor-woman tropes of the guy wrist-grabbing the girl and telling her ‘you’re mine’: in this context the male lead already knows that the female lead has already fallen for him so it makes the whole scene look less icky on his part. But the more important question is whether he’ll realise that her denial has to do the machinations from his family? Yoon Kyun Sang has been carrying the entire show but the story so far has been anything but great. Some substance please!

Am also watching An Empress's Dignity and My Strange Hero, though I haven’t caught up to the latest episode yet! (Will use the new year bells to do so hehe)

I'm joining you on the petition to get the non-recapped shows their own page. I've been waiting forever to add Top Star Yoo Baek to my My Show page.

Second that.

The web site where I was watching Top Star Yoo Baek did not have a new episode last week. I don't know where else I can watch it. Any suggestions?

If you don't mind watching it in not-so-legal sites, I think dramacool or myasiantv has all the subbed eps.

Thank you!

CHUGAKUSEI NIKKI DIRECTOR'S CUT TODAY

join us on Discord. Links in profile

That was the scene my heart wished for and got.
I don't know what fascination people have with a kiss scene.
A kiss isn't epitome of romance.

My Stranger Hero - 4.5/10. The show is low quality crap. 6 episodes for this nonsense. incoherent story as well as confused characters. painted faces and ludicrous dialogues. I'm far too generous to give it score of 4.5

Memories of the Alhambra - 6/10. show is quite slow for being a gaming fest. Show has weak support. Effects are good direction is good - music suits the scenes but Story and characters are just meh.

Spending next few days watching JAPANESE movies.

I agree completely. After reflection, I realize the pivotal moment in the series happened in episode 10. It was the commitment they made to each other, to grow into individuals who can be by each others side, just before they were interrupted by the police.

The ending was perfect, it was a fulfillment of a promise they made to each other 5 years before. The hugs and smiles reflected their joy.

Sky Castle : mind blown. The characters are great, very layered - and fast pacing's plot is a treat.
Cleaning with Passion : I just love Yoon Kyun Sang and Kim Yoo Jung together. The story is meh but I want to see them more so am staying.

@mary I have similar feeling, except for Hye-na. I was stunned with how much I root for Kwak Mi Hyang and dislike for Soo Im.

I love the other moms, and hope professor Cha will soon realize how smart his wife is. I'm all for Yebin.

Re: Prof Cha, I don't understand why he'd give up his President dreams either when he has such a strong partner in Seung-hye. Imagine her serving tea or ramyun as appropriate and converting his haters into supporters. And who says grades are important to being a future president? The more rebellious twin is oozing with street-smartness and charisma. It's gonna give him more success in a political track than memorizing quadratic equations would.

(I want Hye-na to stir things up at the castle though I feel bad for Woo-joo being jerked around like that. Poor puppy.)

He was entangled in corruption charges of his wife's father so president might be out of his reach but important party position, why not, unless he burned his bridges during investigation.

I believe in a (male) politician's power to bounce back from scandals. XD

Obviously, but his father in law supposed be his stepping stone, that why he married his daughter, without him I believe he has no other anchor in the world of politics.

I want Hyena to be expose how bad she is but after she makes Yeh Suh cray. Ok I'm bad. ahaha!

I want to shake Woo Joo, "Stop liking Hye Na! She's a snake!" Then I want to shake Ye Seo, "Stop liking Woo Joo! He likes snakes!" Woo Joo is such a goody two-shoes (read: boring).

but Chani is adorable, so I'm blind.

Chani Woo Joo is blind too to see through Hye Na's manipulation. I keep screaming at him, "Open your eyes! She's not who you think she is!"

Yes, poor Woo-Joo (who is all kinds of adorableness), but I can't blame Hye-Na for having priorities. The girl's got things to settle and thankfully she's not a typical Candy Girl, but a street-smart, shrewd and opportunistic badass who negotiates like a ninja warrior.

Look, if they're going to have The Art of War make an appearance and not have examples of some of its classic quotes, it would be downright silly.

Hye-Na
To know your enemy, you must become your enemy.

Seung-Hye
The greatest victory is that which requires no battle.

Joo-Young
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

The Cha is my favorite SKY family. They make me giggle and lol, but all the characters are just wonderfully fleshed out. I haven’t seen anything this brilliant since My Ahjussi.

Yes! I like Hye-na's character because (1) I hate Ye-seo's sense of superiority and want her taken down a bit, (2) Hye-na is a more realistic "Candy" who actually gets things done because she takes action, not because a nice rich guy swoops in for her, (3) when this bunch of rich opportunistic assholes cut off her main source of income just to win a freaking student presidency to "pad" their college applications and ego, they deserve to get their lives upended in return.

It's rare to see a character like Hye-Na in dramaland. Kudos to Kim Bo-Ra for getting this opportunity and playing her so well. This drama doesn't lack any excitement, but whenever Hye-Na is on my screen, I'm extra alert because she's so unpredictable and full of delicious surprises.

(3) Hye Na did this to herself. First, it is no one's fault her mom was terminally ill and died. Hye Na could have gotten a real part-time job to pay for her mom's hospital bills, but she chose to take assessments for a rich kid as "her main source of income," or else she would not have been blackmailed by Ye Seo's mom. Second, it is not Ye Seo's dad's fault for not taking care of his illegitimate daughter when he never even knew she existed. Hye Na is out here getting revenge when she is the cause of her own problems.

I think Hye na is realistically portrayed in the drama. It is probably technically( I do not think it is morally wrong or anything) wrong that Hyena chose to teach the student and got paid. However, if she works for other part time jobs, it would consume her time in order to pay her mom's medical bill. She must have made a calculated bet to teach her class( school) mate.
Hye na is smart and desperate to find the bottom of the reason and cause why her mom raised her by herself. She is smart enough to guess that the reason for her mom( and her) 's pitiful life is caused by Kwak Mi Hyang.

I only like Hyena for Kim Bora, like finally something that could bring more recognition for her.

@panshel (3) Like Coach Kim said, Ye-suh didn't need that presidency to get into a good college. Her parents just wanted her to become student president for selfish reasons.

Yes, Hye-na "did it to herself" by working a shady job, but isn't it funny how only she suffered while the cheating kid and his mom is still free to hire someone else to take his exams for him? I would call her losing her shady job "fair and well-deserved" if the school found out and kicked out everyone involved. Or if the person who outed her wanted to do it to correct a social wrong. But they only blackmailed her to get even waaay ahead in life, while she's only doing it to barely stay afloat.

If she deserved to be punished anyway for karmic justice, then the Kangs also deserve to get their lives thrown into chaos. For karmic justice.

(3) Once her mom died, Hye Na no longer needs to work her shady job to pay hospital bills. Her puppy even offered to let her move into their castle rent-free, so she needn't suffer. I bet Do Hoon's mom is still suffering from blackmail where Ye Seo's mom can call in a favor when the time is right.

To get Do Hoon and Hye Na kicked out of school, we need Woo Joo's mom, the social justice warrior, to find out, which I cannot wait to happen. Not only will Woo Joo's mom get the kids expelled, she will write a book about them too.

I know some people view Hye-Na as a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad girl, and I get it. But I like her and can’t really fault her for smartly using the same questionable methods (that they use) against them. Working multiple part time jobs that pay peanuts is the futile but honorable and glorified Candy Girl Strategy, and we know she’s not a Candy Girl.

I also don’t think she gave two cents about having to withdraw from the school presidency (even though eliminating the class system is a worthy and lofty goal), so ‘she’s the cause of her own problems’ doesn’t apply to her because she chooses NOT to be a pitiful victim of her choices, decisions or the situation that she was born in. She clearly understood what happened, conceded defeat and moved on. After all, in the Art of War, you win some, you lose some and understanding the difference between a little battle and a big battle is practically the key to winning a war.

Regardless of whether someone deserves punishment for their “sins” or not, at the heart of the drama, what makes ALL the characters interesting and fascinating is that they’re very human in their strengths and weaknesses with varying degrees of “good” and “evil”. They love and care about their family and, under extreme pressure and the most dire of circumstances, do their “best” (and sometimes failing tragically, embarrassingly or epically) to fight for their loved ones’ interests and survival even though positive results and success are not guaranteed.

About Seung Hye, someone said:

She doesn't try to win. She doesn't want to fight anyone or even care about anyone's business. She's the true winner tbh, not giving a fuck is the epitome of winning.

Me too.. The Cha family is my best family. And Woo Joo's family is my worst :( I know they are technically the good guys but i have a bit more sympathy for some of the others. And Sue Lim makes me want to grit my teeth and yell "People don't change that easily woman. Get to know them and help them." Its quite sad how the parents are dysfunctional and raising the same in their kids

I can see how Hye-na is an interesting character and I love Kim Bora but since I'm on Kwak Mi Hyang it means I'm also scared for her. Also how heartbroken Yebin will be. Augh. This drama is good.

Seung Hye is like some harmony into the storm.

Someone wrote "sympathy comes from your past experiences, mostly we are the same person with whom we are showing sympathy". I'm wondering about myself. I wear my feeling on my sleeve like Yeseo, but I hate her. In real life, I hate manipulative people like Hyena, but I'm rooting for Hyena. I don't really understand why people hate Hyena, she's just trying to survive and be happy.

Children of Nobody / Red Moon, Blue Sun has me absolutely and utterly spellbound. After following it via recaps only till ep 16, I’ve finally been able to download all the episodes to watch it from the beginning and. I. Am. Obsessed.

I’ve created murder board on my mind maps app. I’m rewatching eps to put together a timeline. My best friend hasn’t seen me in weeks. Why is it ending so soon?

This show is my weekly crack. And this week's episodes were lit. I was just like everyone who thought Red Cry needed to kill Ha Na's father. His death was the most gruesome so far and i loved every minute of it.
Hope this does not make me psychotic?

Nope, his death was utterly satisfying

Lol, well you and Ji Heon share the exact same sentiment on that particular murder, and he's the most mentally stable character on the whole show, so I wouldn't be too worried. XD

Tbh though, RC's seriously been scaring me the past few eps. I get the feeling like he's getting more and more out of control. Like, it's one thing for him to go around killing off people like Ha Na's dad, but Bit Na's mother did not have to die --the woman was already going to prison if not counselling-- and during that last scene with Ji Heon, I was legitimately frightened that RC would just get rid of him so he'd stop getting in his way.

And now we have Woo Kyung in the position of a kinda-sorta backstabber to RC. I know Ji Heon's techie hoobae said the identities of everyone on that site remain anonymous, but we all saw how RC was in personal contact with BN's mother and seemed to know exactly who she was. And I honestly can't imagine someone as smart as RC operating a site where he genuinely cannot find the identities of all his informants if he needs to. And after what he said about being even more furious over a betrayal...

Tl;dr I am extremely concerned about many things.

Am obsessed too over Children of Nobody!

I still have no idea about who Red Cry is, but I'm glad there is less focus on Woo-kyung being Red Cry. I'm thinking though why the Director of the Children's Center is being emphasized lately? 🤔

JH asked WK who knew about HN's case. WK answered my colleagues, in a general way, but my mind immediately went to that doctor friend of hers who had a china dancing girl music box...

I rejected this idea in the beginning of the episode because I thought HN would have recognized him. But then they showed him wearing a mask...

SAME, SAME. Her doctor friend being RC would fit how they've profiled him as someone who knows how to psychologically read others as well. He's a counsellor to both adults and children, after all. Even in the first few eps, he was the one who noticed the little sister hidden in the drawing rather than WK.

Honestly, a few eps ago my main RC candidates were Eun Ho and teach and tech's little brother, but now WK's doctor sunbae and the director of the orphanage are on my list too. When will this journey down the rabbit hole of suspects end!?

Please do not be deceived, I'm loving every minute.

I know :)) me too!

For some reason, I was thinking the same the last time WK talked with him. He came across as someone who wasn't to be trusted.
Then again, that could be half the cast - which is what makes the show so crack-tastic!

I swear it's that shady-anime-guy way he pushes up his glasses, lol. He did it in ep 10 when WK defensively asked why he kept pestering her about the GGD, and it made so many alarms start to blare in my head.

I KNOW, IT BUGGED ME TOO. The fact that Eun Ho's so loyal to him and said 'the director is like my family' actually raised a huge flag for me. Because Eun Ho loves kids, whereas the director acts like kids are just a means to an end for him. If he really was someone who only cared about the centre making a profit and nothing else, I can't imagine Eun Ho would be so attached to him. Which makes me think that some of his sliminess has to be an act. And you have to admit, acting like you don't care about traumatised kids beyond the money they bring in would make you the least likely Red Cry candidate.

Then again, Eun Ho's super snappy around Ji Heon, and he likes kids. Though, maybe Ji Heon's soft demeanour around children doesn't really make up for how harsh he acts around Eun Ho. I mean, I love Ji Heon, he's my favourite, but even I want to slap him upside the head sometime when he's in his nasty interrogator mode.

SKY Castle and Children of Nobody were going strong this weak but rest of the dramas this week let me down by stepping in potential mess territory or disappointing ending (Happy to Die).

I started watching My Strange Her and My Id is Gangnam Beauty because Kwak Dong Yeon is my new crack, #confessiontime ;)

Kwak Dong Yeon is love 😍😍😍. Have you seen him sew a doll?

This scene in Moonlight Drawn By Clouds was very funny!

Oh, gosh! Now I'm remember, I'm so slow, but it's because I was perpetually distracted by perfect and immobile side bangs.

Kwak Dong-yeon is love when semi-conscious he gets his teeth brushed 😻😻😻

One of my favourite short dramas was Adolescence Medley (on KBS World with subtitles). All the casting was great and Kwak Dong Yeon was an antihero that everybody took for a hero. It was pretty funny and touching.

I can't watch him in My Strange Hero, I was out when he's giving speech in front of reporter. I know it was just acting, but it was scary!

What I'm Watching

The Last Empress: I never knew I'd fall madly in love with this show. Started to watch it for fun but got sucked in big time. It's absurd, entertaining and addictive!

Sky Castle: The show gave me Misty vibes so I gave it a try. Why, why, it's as good as Misty despite not being familiar with half of the cast.

Just Dance: I didn't watch the last two eps on purpose to reward myself at the end of this week just in time for my Winter break and I can't wait! This drama is just right and I wanna try dance sports, too! Also, I just found out that Park Se-wan is Kkot Bi in Radiant Office, which is also an all-time favorite.

Matrimonial Chaos: Will also watch the finale tonight. Also, I adore Bae Doona!!!

Brooklyn Nine Nine: Something I watch in between to balance my drama watching :P

Is it bad that though i commented only because i saw brooklyn Nine Nine? I'm such a Peralta and Santiago fan girl lol

OMG! I started watching B99 a couple days ago! High-five!

There go my plans to watch more kdramas, lol.

I hope everyone spent a fun and happy Christmas and are having a great watching dramas !

- Completed -

Caution, Hazardous Wife: The finale left me for more and i could have been better for the heroine. I thought for a while that the main couple could turn out like Mr and Mrs Smith.

Dance Sport Girls: Loved, loved, loved this drama ! It reminded me so much of the time I was part of the school choir and it's one of the best memories of my life. Hapiness in small things, heartwrecking stories, friendship, family, dreams, uncertain future, all of this were so well executed that I didn't want to part from the girls replayed their message to their teacher a huge amount of time ! I tried to find the documentary the drama is based on but could only find snipets of it. If anyone can find the documentary or the movie version of it even without subs, I'm interested.

Happy to Die: I had fun with Baek Jin Sang's antics but seeing him change for a better person was great. Except the fact that he and Lee Ru Da ended up together, it was a good ending and a feel good drama.

When We Were Young (2018): Viki picked it up ! Hopefully, the subs will be better than the ones on KUKAN Drama channel. I loved following the friend circle, their inspirations, their problems and their parents. The ending might not please everyone, personnally I expected it to go the bittersweet way and yes, it is. Yang Xi, Li Yu, Hua Biao, Er Tiao, Hue Mei, Deng Deng, their family and Mr. Kong, thanks so much for making me feel young(er) again.

- Currently watching -

Children of Nobody: What if Red Cry was actually all of people working at the center minus Woo Kyung ?

Chugakusei nikki: ep 2. Because of Christmas and reports for uni, I didn't have time to binge watch it :( Since it's only the beginning, it feels like the boy has just a crush on his teacher so I'm curious how it's going to evolve.

Clean With Passion For Now: I like this drama for the com and kind of dramatic part but not the rom. So this week's scenes with the two leads weren't that interesting to me.

Dae Jang Geum is Watching: I had a nosebleed at Jin Mi and Min Hyuk kiss scene. Is her power breaking the fourth wall ?

Less Than Evil: I'm so mad because I'm thinking of dropping it. The acting is not a problem but I just can't stand the serial killer. I wished the show would get ride of him for real and let the story unfolds with Detective as the antagonist. The fight scene whit Woo Tae Seok and Reporter Eun carrying a huge harmer (she reminded me of a cheap version of Harley Quinn)

Like A Flowing River: ep 7. I have vague memory of China's economics and history from high school but even if you have no knowledge of this time period, it's easy to follow the story - at least the first episodes.

Love Playlist season 3: Jun Mo and Do Young are my favorite couple of this season.

My Strange...

My Strange Hero: I switch between hating and feeling for Se Ho in flashbacks but the first feeling always beats the second.

Priest: We finally know what happened 8 years ago and it's what I suspected - minus Priest Moon who hypnotized them. Speaking of him, I don't think he's dead - or at least still exists somehow. He may come back as a spirit who serves demons, who knows ? Sister Lee looks suspicious. Even if she founded 635 Regia, her appearance is too much of a good timing.

SKY Castle: Professor Cha was hilarious waiting for his daughter and talking about her HAHA She doesn't study in Havard (or studies and parties a lot if it's possible) judging from the outfit she wore in the airport.

The Last Empress: For a split of second, I felt bad for the Emperor. If it wasn't a makjang fest, it could've turned as a sweet romcom between him and Oh Sunny. The vlog scene was cute.

Lol I am looking forward to watching Professor Cha's face when he discover's his beloved daughter's truth??
Also I cringed together with the twins when he was talking "cute" with Seri on the phone.. also the airport hugggg XD

Watched When we were young.. It's all sorts of cute :D

Loving My strange hero more than I had anticipated.. YSH can make me cry hard :'(

Professor Cha is pure comedy gold XD

Enjoy the cuteness of WWWY because it has a few sad scenes too x)

Same for My strange hero ! I enjoy it a lot but don't know where it's going.

I hope MSH is headed towards romance, bromance and minimal angst ;)
WWWY ended.. :'(
I think I'll actually end up feeling bad for Professor Cha by the end of sky castle :/

@mango I was a little disappointed at the 8 year old love story, though I'm not sure why. As for Father Moon, I also expect him to show up in some form because his death just came too early in the show. Perhaps Sister Lee's appearance is meant to fill the gap that Father Moon left, but somehow, it just doesn't. I'm looking forward to what today and tomorrow's episodes will bring.

Late reply, sorry ! Something about Sister Lee is unsettling. But then again, I easily get suspicious of people in mystery/thriller dramas.

I finished watching Chugakusei Nikki. That boy looks like a full grown adult male. Lols. Kinda hard to imagine that he supposed to be a 15 yrs old. CN is a good drama, have fun watching.

He looks 20ish so a highschooler would have fit better haha

The later eps require him to be an adult though

Binge-watching "Sky Castle" on Christmas holidays. OH MY GOD, those tiger moms are really scary! The secret is out one by one. I can't wait to see what Kim Joon-young's motive in tutoring those kids and her idea asking Seo-jin to move Hye-na to their house when she knew Hye-na is Prof. Kang's daughter with Eun-hye.

There's something addictive in "Empress Dignity" despite the fact that the writing is so-so. Can't wait for next week.

"Children of Nobody": when they finally got a clue and almost catch the killer, they lost it! The last homicide was so scary...

"12 Nights": to appreciate this drama, we need to enjoy it slowly, then contemplate. I love to finally all the characters come to a term to fix their relationship with the people they love: Chan with her mother, Yu-kyung's mother, and even YK and HO. This drama underlines "making decision." We made errors while making decision, we regret it, and try to make a better decision. Meanwhile, this drama is also about "do what you love, and love what you do", like what Lee Ri has finally decided by selling her studio to Chan's mother, travel to Africa, and takes photos.

If you've finished the final episode , can you tell me what just happened? Coz I think the finale was a total let down . It was fine until episode 12 😭

Yes, I've watched the final raw, and was trying to guess some conversations. I love how they drew the final episode where all the characters "settled" with their resentment, but the ending scene a year later, was a bit force to me. I didn't get it when Yoo-Kyung was shown in Seoul, like she's about to open a studio. Did she move to Seoul and open a photo studio? Or when Hye-ran met with Hyun-oh. Everything seems OK, even though the year before, Hyun-Oh didn't take her call while he was in East Coast with YK. The ending scene was a little bit rush to me...

I wasn't expecting the final episode to be so short! I was hoping the writer would finalIy give some narration and spelk out clearly what happened in that year.I liked how yoo kyung and hyun-woo said goodbye and wrapped up their romance, it was beautifully shot. I was so happy that Chan and his family had moved forward together.
I thought Hyun oh broke up with hyeran when she told him she knew about his diagnosis, I think he just kept the job as choreographer instead.

The ending was so short and felt unnecessarily rushed .. I felt that they should've given more screen time to all the characters because they all deserved it! ( I mean after seeing them grow in the previous 11 episodes)

@sinbin123

I don't know why the finale had to be 30mins long. It feels like a cop-out. Maybe the production ran out of time to film extra scenes before Christmas.

I know what you mean, it feels like the characters have been cheated, we spent so long getting to know them!

I watched Just Dance... and didn't regret any second of it. Complex characters, touching stories... and Kim Gab Soo as an awesome teacher till the end 😍😁

Putting it together with Lingerie Girls... on the shelf of little gems...

I'm on 4th ep. and screaming in disbelief when belatedly informed that it ends at 8th ep..
Hiing ~~😭😭

@dorotka Agree with every word. Little gems they are.

Quite bored this week with the ending of two dramas I've been watching - Just Dance and Happy to Die. Just Dance's ending seemed a little hurried with Seung-chan suddenly knowing his Dad's secret and appearing in front of Si-eun and they're back together again. Never mind the ending of Happy to Die - it didn't make sense to me.

Happy to Die was one of those lucky dramas with incredible source material, and yet they messed it up horribly.

Finally finished Chugakusei Nikki and i will miss that show very much. It was hartfelt and beautiful.
Empress Dignity - I wonder how many times will Chin Woo-Bin get hit in the head before the drama ends...
Clean with passion for now - so the drama became a typical K-drama. However props for that last minute change on the male lead. Anticipate more useless scenes.
My strange hero - now What? That is my mood for next episodes.

Matrimonial chaos jp- I am completely on her side. 100%. He can stfu...
Alhambra - Can Park Shin Hue do anything please?

Will start :
Cheer dan
Player
3 guys and a baby.

Do you mind me asking where you are watching Chugakusei Nikki? Thank you!

You can download the subs from Aoihachi.livejournal.com and the raw from j-raws.me/chugaku-seinikki/ or, it's on Kissasian!

Thanks! will save it for the weekend :D

Bok-soo's Back: Phenominal! 👏👏👏

The Last Empress: Woah, this shit just gets crazier and crazier. I'm up to episode seven now, and I feel like I've watched enough plot for two whole shows! ✌️

Miss Baek: 😭😭😭😍😍😍😭😭😭

The Last Empress might be the first show I have watched that each episode feels twice (or thrice) as long not because of boring but so so so much happens in 30 minutes!

I was surprised when Wang-shik betrayed Sunny, since it makes the most sense for them to team up! With her power and his strength, they'd be pretty formidable. What's the point to gaining the Emperor's trust anyway? He's going to kill him in the end, either way! 😂

Makes the most sense? Sense? HAHAHAHA
But I can come up with a guess.....Wang-shik needs to gain the Emperor's trust because uri OTP needs to learn to trust each other! 😂

If uri OTP get together, I'll do something crazy. Like reply to every post on the fan wall for that day! 😂

I'm not watching The Last Empress, but the ratings for episode 24 was 17.9 (nationwide) and 18.9 (Seoul)?! Is it that good?

Its a case where "good" has to be operationally defined 😂 if by "good" you mean "having a great time laughing as people get slapped and/or murdered", then yes it is extremely good!

It's definitely the kind of show that would be slurped down in Korea, where weekenders and makjang dramas have universally always received the best ratings!

I feel like this is not your garden variety makjang though. Its so much faster and more tongue in cheek, and definitely takes jtself way less seriously.

Last Empress is makjang that is smartly and hilariously mocking all the jang.

I am OBSESSED with that show! I'm happy it's getting great ratings. I tend to skip shows like that (historical dramas with politics and plots to overthrow the king etc...) but I kept seeing bits of it on Instagram and thought that it looked interesting but not enough for me to start watching it.

Then I saw a clip when the main female character started to be more assertive and thought right I need to watch it and oh boy what a show! Everyone is dodgy and has ulterior motives and not to mention how great the actors are! The guy who plays the emperor is so good and his character is very complex and can't help for feel sorry for him sometimes.

Anyway I could go on and on about this show but it's best if you watch it make your own decision. What I'd say though is that I haven't been this excited about a kdrama like this since " Because this is our life"!

I too hope to be able to assert myself one day by pulling my enemy's hair and shove her down the floor! Jk jk but JNR was soooo good in that scene!

That's the scene that made me want to watch the drama lol! And the men were just like o_0. My fave scene this week was WS and MYR on the bridge where he was like 'mess with me again and see what happens!'

The last scene made no sense with the flow of the previous scene but it does look like WS staged it for the emperor to see it. Can't wait for next week's episodes!

(Replying to your comment below) yeeess during that scene us rabb.iters were chanting "Drop her! Drop her!" Join us oj rabbit it will be even more fun if thats even possible!

I've been in Slumpville City for awhile (I've only fully watched 5 Korean dramas this year), and SKY Castle is my current IT drama.

But you've piqued my curiosity and your enthusiasm is contagious, so maybe I'll check out a few episodes.

The last empress and sky castle are the only dramas I'm currently watching. I've become really impatient with kdramas if by ep 3-4 it's not interesting or gripping or it's another cinderella story I'll drop the show and not look back. So I'd say those 2 shows are keeping me entertained.

I was wondering if there was anyone watching these two dramas and enjoying them equally. As the saying goes, time waits for no one, and it's such a valuable asset; once it's gone, it is gone. So, I only have a short list of dramas to check out after SC ends.

NIF2 - I still haven't continued since stopping at episode 24, but other beanies have given positive feedback about the rest of the episodes.

The Story Of Minglan (Zhu Yilong, nuff said)
Like a Flowing River
The Last Empress

Maybe Dance Sports Girls, Red Moon, Blue Sun and Memories of the Alhambra.

Picked up a couple of current K dramas

Top Star Yoo Baek: Waves at Granny 👋
Just Dance: Like it so far, at Ep 3
Father is Strange: About 1/2 way through, although one of my devices binge watched the whole series without me. 🤔
Jeong Do Jeon: Now watching on desktop to slay annoying adware.
C drama Ming Lan: Yay
C film, In The Mood For Love: Enjoyed it*

*The BBC released a list of Best Foreign Language Films, ITMFL was #9 on the list.

My wife dropped My Strange Hero. She watched a Brit series, Cadfael

Oh wow, I read the Cadfael series years ago and always meant to watch the television show. Thanks for the reminder.

What is your first impression of The Story of Ming Lan, John?

I like it so far, just got past the childhood stage

which chinese series worth watching?

i have heard yanxi is good but somehow can't start..
ever night is ok.. i actually fast forward a lot.. just watch important scenes of NQ

I started watching The Rise of Phoenix (available on Netflix) couple weeks ago and loving the first 18 episodes so far! It is a tightly woven story and made with so much love. This is the first time for me to watch Chen Kun and Ni Ni and they are both fantastic in their roles and their characters well written. Seeing @mollyp's FW posts about how the pace will really kick off after episode 20 or so also encourages me to continue my binge.

If you want to get a sense of the set up and don't mind being spoiled a little, I find the Problematic of the Unproblematic post really helpful:

Three Lives, Three Worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossom

For a film, I can recommend In the Mood for Love, starring Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung as next door neighbors in early 60’s Hong Kong. Things get complicated when they discover that their spouses are having an affair with each other.

Yanxi Palace doesn't earn the title "The Most Googled Show on Earth 2018" (credit to BBC) for nothing.

Believe me, it's good and crack-tastic. I binged watch in 3 days (thanks to BBC article and recommendation) and loving it so so much. Simply fantastic and twitter is on fire with live tweets. I so can understand the hype.

I second Dominika's Yanxi Palace recommendation. It's an excellent drama.

Have we had this conversation before?
I've heard Like A Flowing River is really good but I've yet to start it. Ever Night is really good (I ff too) but I'm bummed the young lead actor playing NQ won't be doing season 2. And that's when the story really begins.
My favorite light-hearted fantasy is An Oriental Odyssey and watching it the 2nd time is much more entertaining and revealing, especially with the time switches, which is some of the better time slips I've seen. And it's a happy ending, regardless of what some people think.
Need more suggestions?? Do you like modern or fantasy? Do you like when the story is about high schoolers or more mature? I usually watch which actors I like and occasionally try new ones. I love Liu Haoran in Nirvana in Fire 2, and I love Zheng ye Cheng in Oriental Odyssey.

@linda-palapala
Ever night is a series? I saw reports about dylan wang.. but this guy is doing really well in this role, i wonder why they want to change him

If you don't mind, could you please explain me what is the overarching story of ever night, as in through the series

@linda-palapala
'm open to everything as long as doesn't make me yawn (which typically taut scripts won't)

E.g. love so b'ful nice but now if another show follows the exact same plotline or similar it would be boring unless backed by mind blowing acting/narration

But definitely superpowers NEVER HURT :P ; eye candies never hurt; romance done well is always welcome; nice magic - action - sci fi stuff is good too (e.g. ever night still better.. but was watching this show where a young child's mother dies and leaves him with a bracelet which has the soul of his or her teacher and this guy teaches our young hero to become a cultivator/superpower guy - execution made it boring and the lead guy is some ex-EXO chap; then there was a romance where the girl has a scar on her face and she love reading about poision and somehow gets her hands on poision book , marries king - Snoozefest.. it was so boring)

ash likes fire , peaches - done

do you know a version was supposed to be launched of - good bye princess i think

John, have you tried Ashes of Love? If you have netflix, watch it from there instead of viki. My fave Cdrama 2017 was TMOPB, I thought nothing can replace it until I watched AoL. I still love TMOPB though (still on my #1 drama), but I think AoL has a better story (just my personal opinion).

My wife watched Ashes of Love.

fun looking over the list, watched these from the list and loved them...

Ikiru was an unexpected riot!

93. Raise the Red Lantern (Zhang Yimou, 1991)
82. Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
79. Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)
78. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
76. Y Tu Mamá También (Alfonso Cuarón, 2001)
72. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
68. Ugetsu (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953)
54. Eat Drink Man Woman (Ang Lee, 1994)
37. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
29. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
26. Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988)
12. Farewell My Concubine (Chen Kaige, 1993)
4. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)
3. Tokyo Story (Yasujirô Ozu, 1953)
1. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

I'm surprised I've watched 19 out of 100 films on this list, and 9 of them are the same as yours. There are definitely a few that I'll never watch again because they totally traumatized me :-D

93. Raise the Red Lantern (Zhang Yimou, 1991)
82. Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
78. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
76. Y Tu Mamá También (Alfonso Cuarón, 2001)
71. Happy Together (Wong Kar-wai, 1997)
56. Chungking Express (Wong Kar-wai, 1994)
54. Eat Drink Man Woman (Ang Lee, 1994)
47. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Cristian Mungiu, 2007)
42. City of God (Fernando Meirelles, Kátia Lund, 2002)
41. To Live (Zhang Yimou, 1994)
38. A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991)
37. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
29. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
22. Pan’s Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)
18. A City of Sadness (Hou Hsiao-hsien, 1989)
12. Farewell My Concubine (Chen Kaige, 1993)
11. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960)
9. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
4. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)

oldboy...
: |

And let me add City of God.

93. Raise the Red Lantern (Zhang Yimou, 1991)
83. La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)
82. Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
79. Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)
78. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
72. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
52. Au Hasard Balthazar (Robert Bresson, 1966)
37. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
33. Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)
30. The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
29. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
26. Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988)
22. Pan’s Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)
13. M (Fritz Lang, 1931)
12. Farewell My Concubine (Chen Kaige, 1993)
11. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960)
10. La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
9. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
8. The 400 Blows (François Truffaut, 1959)
5. The Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir, 1939)
4. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)
2. Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio de Sica, 1948)
1. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

wow!

Thanks for the link - I'm rather pleased with the number of those films I've seen. Mostly I've been watching Chinese films for as long as I remember.

Happy weekend everyone! Despite of the long hols week, i'm still unable to finish some of the ongoing dramas im following. But here is my humble list:

Completed:
Feel Good to Die 😵
Twelve Nights 🎒

Currently watching:
Children of Nobody 🤱
Top Star Yoo Baek 🕺⏳
Memories of Alhambra ⚔
Sky Castle 🏯
The Last Empress 👸
My Strange Hero 🤺

Dropped:
Clean With Passion For Now 🚽

Sky Castle You know what I hate most about this show?
The WAIT for the next episode. Gaaaah!!! It's marvelously paced and always makes you hunger for more.
The camera work is quite interesting, they like to zoom into the character's face in such a way that the head looks enormous. The effect is hilarious and it works especially well with characters like Prof Cha. Last week, they captured the conversation between Tutor Joo Young and her minion Mr Jo behind the office blinds. The resulting feel was sinister as it intended to be.
I am with@mary, I find myself delighting and supporting the baddies although I do want to see them get their comeuppance. Soo Im bores me.

Just Dance The show got me at Jang Dong Yoon dancing in gag but of course, it's more than that. It's a beautiful coming of age drama which you should watch.

Memories of Alhambra 🌩🌩🌩😞😞😞😢😢😢😭😭😭🌊

Nice progression of your review emojis for MoA! 😂
I am a week behind on the show so there might be context I am missing but I gotta asked.....has the show enveloped you with waves of emotions or wiped you out dead?

its raining more often and she is crying more often and now even the actual weather seems to be moving towards rainy climate , so you see it's a deluge

The latter.

When Hee Joo's face starts to crumple, I develop the same reaction as Jin Woo did to the sound of thunder - Horror. Think Pavlov Theory.

ohh, the tutor's minion Mr. Jo! I can detect that Mr. Jo feels a bit uncomfortable to take her order. He tries to guess what the tutor's intention and probably he feels that she is in the wrong. I wonder if he might give a fatal blow willingly or unwillingly to his boss.

I think I will be afraid for my life if I was Mr Jo. Imagine a boss like Tutor Kim? When she says you are on the chopping block, you might be more than fired!

I absolutely agree with you. I would be scared to death if I were Mr. Jo.
But at the same time, I can feel that he has been tormented that his action through her orders put some people in grave danger. Poor Man! He should vanish somewhere very remote, run run run!!

Tutor has shown us too many times, very subtly how he feels in response to his boss. Something tells me at some point he is going to be crucial to her demise.
I think his role is very important to the story.

We shall see. Can weekend come faster?

Ikr?

I too have been memorized by the camera work. The focus on the hands during a conversation is quite expressive of their separate emotions.
Also when they show a person half in/out of a mirror or partially out of focus.
Interesting what they are doing to add to the feelings of the story.

<Dance Sports Girls Clearly the dance wasn't the strength of this drama. But I loved to see those girls trying to find their future.

My Strange Hero Mistunderstandings are strong in this one...

Clean With Passion for Now It's a typical rom-com and I love it :D

Red Moon, Blue Sun Everytime you think that you will know the truth, it's not the case. But surprisingly it's not frustrating but exciting.

An Empress's Dignity Poor Prince, the only normal one.

Boyfriend No episode this week, I didn't miss it.

SKY Castle The Professor Cha is so funny. I wouldn't like him as father but he and his wife are really funny.

Memories of the Alhambra I want to know the message >_< I love the little sister!

Top Star Yoo Baek It's a cute drama.

Dance Sport Girls: Came out of nowhere, stole my heart, and now I can’t seem to press play on the last two hours. If I don’t watch it, it won’t be over. Right? Probably the best depiction of the real life struggles, friendships, love, and hopes of teens I’ve seen in a kdrama. Everyone felt real, the place felt real, and mom is breaking my heart.
Clean With Passion for Now: Still watching. Still like Song Jae-rim’s amazing track suit collection. Glad Song Jae-rim isn’t talking about “protecting” the female lead anymore because that was a bit of paternalistic creepiness. Hope they don’t magically “cure” Sun Gyeol’s OCD with O-sol’s love. Kinda hate the twist to become a cohabitation drama. I would have gotten tearful too if I came home to that mess. Pretty sure that’s not how you “cure” someone who obsessively cleans.
Happy to Die: Well, that’s over. The coats were amazing. Except in the last episode, that pink sweater sleeve coat, and the green and white plaid with the bright pink furry collar were not amazing. Well, not good amazing. Anyway, show would have been better without an OTP. Dramaworld, you don’t always need to go that route.
Empress’s Dignity: Oh boy, this show is a rollercoaster. His Royal Hotness may look deliciously good all the time, but he is one rotten to the core egg. It’s not a good habit to kill people whenever they cross you, even if you are the Emperor. Anyway, I’m pretty sure most everyone will die by the end of this drama. Right now, I’m betting that Prince Younger Brother will become emperor, dismantle the monarchy, marry Jang Nara’s sister, and happily run the restaurant…..that is until season 2 when the Emperor’s daughter finds a way to take power in South Korea and tries to kill him, his wife, and their children.
Memories of Alhambra: I’m just going to enjoy the puzzle of the game, and Hyun Bin’s dimples. I hope the writer will make the female lead be more proactive, but at this point I’m not gonna hold my breath waiting for that to happen, so I’ll just sit back and watch it all unfold. (Maybe the little sister is Master. That would be cool)
Top Star Yoo Baek: Rather, I would be watching if there were decent subs somewhere.
Dae Jang Geum is Watching: The last thing I expected from this drama was a realistic (and hot) kiss scene. Hopefully the love triangle and noble idiocy ends next week, and Shin Dong-wook will yet again show his ridiculous side instead of the mopey side we got this week. I do appreciate that even while feeling heartbroken he takes care to pick just the right restaurant and food for lunch. Priorities firmly in place.
Matrimonial Chaos: @waadmay you were right. I love it. I’m only one hour in, but already the level of acting talent, plus a good script, lead me to believe I will not be disappointed. Besides, beanies have assured me this does not devolve into a tropey mess. (waadmay, I’m still not ready to watch The Priest though...