Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

mary

SKY Castle: I’m a week late. I’m sad. I like Hye-na. But at least I have four more episodes to watch before I catch up to everyone on the crazy train, waiting for the finale next week. While we’re here talking about SKY Castle though, any theories on why Teacher Jo is so loyal to Coach Kim? My bet is on him being her underachieving son who tries his best to make his parent happy. Even if “his best” includes digging dirt on orphans and driving the brattiest kid in Dramaland to and from school.

My Healing Love: My satisfaction at Chi-yoo’s reversed fortune is always marred by how very aware I am that this much cuteness and sweetness isn’t right between step-siblings. Behave, Dimples!

SailorJumun

Hundred Million Stars From the Sky: It’s been about a week since I finally sat down and finished Hundred Millions Stars and… I can’t even think about other dramas right now. Because this one has me angry at the whole world. I knew going in that this was supposed to be dark and tragic, but nothing, and I mean, nothing could’ve prepared me for those last few episodes. I’m angry with the evil, evil corporate siblings. I’m angry with these kids’ parents. With their own misunderstandings and misguided actions. With how freaking heartbreaking they are. The only people I’m not angry with are the actors for having the talent to make me feel all the emotions at their highest level. Such phenomenal performances all around. But I don’t have enough left within me to forgive them for that ending. I’m done for the day, done for the week. There aren’t enough goofy clips of Seo In-gook as Shopping King Louis to get me over this.

Tags: , , ,

- Completed -

Believer: starring Jo Jin Woong, Ryu Joon Yeol, Kim Joo Hyuk and Cha Seung Woo. It was not bad but nothing groundbreaking. If you like the cast you will have a good time.

Butterfly Sleep: starring Kim Jae Wook and Nakayama Miho. That was so beautiful ! The introspective and cozy atmosphere in the heroine house and study was wonderful. The dialogues were well written and well acted. I just admired the cinematography and the leads' conversations during the whole time.

Children of Nobody: At first, I didn't like the finale regarding Red Cry and Woo Kyung's mother. Thanks to Beanies' discussion on the fan wall, I have a better understanding and can find closure myself.

Chugakusei nikki: I wished to see their relationship's development after they meet 5 years later. It was a good drama but I think my expectations were too high thus it didn't blow me away.

Love Playlist season 3: What was the point of this season ? New characters were introduced but didn't have much screentime. If there's a season 4, count me out.

Missing: Gong Hyo Jin and Uhm Ji Won. I thought the story would be told from the mother whose child's got kidnapped's POV but it was about the babysitter's story. And what an eventful life she had to lead ! I felt empathy for her during the whole movie and for the mother too. I highly recommend thid one.

- Currently watching -

Clean With Passion For Now: Maybe it's because of the 2 weeks pre-emption that I enjoyed the romantic scenes a lot more than before. The comedy was here and YKS even upped his comedy game.

The Crowned Clown: Eunuch Jo is adorable ! The Clown is clever and has many talents so he could actually become a threat to the real king in the future. Seeing all of the palace's machinations, it's no wonder that the king grew more suspicious and went into madness (eevn without the poison).

Dae Jang Geum is Watching: I laughed at the two brothers antic during the dates but what's better is that it was finally time to stop this love triangle !

Encounter: Don't go Noble Idiocracy on me !

The Last Empress: I felt a tiny bit pleased to see Sunny and Wang Shik dance together and thought they looked cute. But not as charming as the Emperor. Gosh, I question my own sanity.

Less Than Evil: The villain is really dead this time, right ? I'm overjoyed ! It seems like Reporter Eun will be taking more importance in the story as an antagonist... Well, I'm not thrilled because her duo with Woo Tae Seok is more interesting. The other villain, the Punisher (Marvel *wink*), doesn't really catch my interest.

Like A Flowing River: ep 24. Even if it has already happened a few episodes ago, I still can't process what happened to Yun Ping.

Liver or Die: I enjoy this drama a lot. Like I said before, it's like a weekend family drama but in a week day slot with fewer episodes. The daughter really got on my nerve because she behaved horribly to her father but at the same time I see where her frustation is coming. Can Poong Sang's wife relax for one day ? If it's not her husband and his siblings, it's their daughter or her dad who are annoying. Among all of the family's mess there's a sweet noona romance between the maknae and the girl who was dumped on her wedding day.

Memories of the Alhambra: ep 2. Just started this one ! The concept is interesting, I just don't know where the real plot is going.

My Strange Hero: Bok Soo and Soo Jung were too sweet this week. Teacher Park's resignment is big but even if they failed before to keep him in school, I'm sure they will find a way to get him back or even better to kick Se Oh out.

Neighbourhood Lawyer Mr. Jo 2: This week marked the return of comedy ! I found it delightful to follow a new team with our Lawyer Jo and perhaps follow the development of the rookie lawyer. From what we saw about the chaebol family, Jung Hee's revenge could be quite entertaining since the other kids don't seem to be any better.

Priest: Soooo the demon tried to manipulate Father Oh and if it wasn't for Father Moon bad thing could have happened. Judging from the preview, something bad is happening in the hospital and it's one of the demon's doing.

Sachiiro no One Room: ep 2. A lot of bad events in Sachi's life are unveiled and she never had simple happiness until a guy (clearly a stalker) "saved" her from dying. They have a strange relationship and I won't call it love but a way for her to find happiness.Even if it's with a stranger.

SKY Castle: Hwang family's support to Woo Joo as they tried to confort him was so touching. Actually, it's the first time I'm really invested in them. Yeh Su's husband crying scene and the one with his mother were great too. For the first time, I thought of him as a decent human being. Professor Cha brought laughter again this week ! The actor played the manipulative power angry minister in Goblin and I didn't realize until now o_o As soons as the big box came in, I thought of a huge pyramid and he DID bring one XD Jin Jin's son is actually clever and is a good kid. He will be the most successful out of SKY Castle as in the most satisfied with whatever he'll do in his life.

Tokyo Tarareba Girls: ep 7. The girls try to find love and stay dignified but life is not easy. Kaori and Koyuki are well aware that their respective relationship won't lead to marriage (at least maybe not on Koyuki's side) and I'm curious to see how their storyline will wrap up.

Top Star Yoo Baek: I'm glad...

Top Star Yoo Baek: I'm glad I binge watched it because I could FF all of Yoo Baek sad scenes and Ma Dol Oppa forcing himself onto marrying Kang Soon and cockbloking his "rival". Apart from these two, I enjoy the comedy alot. Either on the island or in Seoul, the cast is having fun and so do I.

Like A Flowing River: I’m still at ep 17 but is Yun Ping going to die before ep 20?

I don't remember the exact episode but I'm sure she dies around ep 20.

Do you understand korean or do you read subtitles?

I understand enough Korean to watch basic rom-com and webdramas but that's it. I don't speak it nor do I have knowledge in grammar. So I need subtitles for shows with specific vocabulary or sageuks.

I have Like A Flowing River on my Watchlist. Decided to wait til the episodes are fully subbed. Isn't there a Season two?

I was just getting ready start watching this drama when I heard there was a season 2 and am now going to just wait until it airs to start season 1. I've already heard the main spoiler anyway.

I don't know if season 2 is in pre-production or has started filming.

Season 2 was announced a bit before the final episodes aired. I think the shooting will start this year so it will air next year hopefully.

Sky Castle: Yeh su doesn't have a husband. Maybe you mean father.

Yeah I meant her father XD

@mango The number of dramas you manage to watch each week, if you watch them all through without FFDing, will never fail to amaze me!!! 😂

I usually FF useless angsty scenes because I like to see people happy.

@mango: Oh, wait, I do the same thing! If it's a 16 episode drama I skip ep 14 and 15. Maybe after a year I'm not so emotionally invested so I can go back and watch those angsty moments. That happened with Heart to Heart (still one of my favorite dramas).

Haha I waited 2 years before watching the last 2 episodes of Personal Taste, my first Kdrama.

Heart to Heart is a great show and I remember FFing ep 14 and 15.

Don't we all ff?? There are too few second lead couples I like enough to wade thru their storyline. Oriental Odyssey was an exception.

Sometimes you have to FF even the main OTP!

Thanks for my first laugh out loud moment of the day! But if I have to ff the main OTP I usually just drop the whole thing (depending on how handsome and manly I find the lead male.) But for a perfect example: About Time, so bad I had to ff and then finally drop it even though Lee Sang Yoon was the lead.

@Lindapalapala, but did you at least see ToD's amazing double hit of the leads in About Time? So satisfying even if it wasn't fatal.

@egads: No, I didn't and I don't even know what you're referring to. ToD?? double hit? I did watch a bit of the ending and thought it was way too cheesy, even though out-of-context might be the reason.

@egads @linda-palapala @sincerelytod

Heheheh! Ah Egads, you big fan of ToD you!

@linda-palapala @egads @sincerelytod

Yes, I really tried to hang on a bit more for About Time but in the end it was just pointless angst. I dropped it and missed our indefatigable ToD in action!

@egads Re ToD, that would have been a better ending right there.

Top Star Yoo Baek: Finally, we are done with all those angst.
P.s. Ma-dol oppa, I hope you will soon meet the woman who'll love you as much as you love her.

Memories of Alhambra: I'm still enjoying it and waiting for the final twist and the conclusion for this whole adventure. And yet, I'm not as enamored anymore after this week eps. The heavy-handed flasbacks and the uneven pacing started to irritate me. I hope the finale will give us back the thrill and the emotional punch that the earlier eps managed to deliver.

Red Moon Blue Sun: Saying goodbye to this beautiful but devastating drama. The solution to its overarching mystery might be maddeningly simple, but the emotional journey the characters took is satisfyingly uplifting until the very end. And I think that's make it a good ending in my book.

Friend, Our Legend: Completed. It's gritty, complex, heart-breakingly tragic, but peppered with mundaneness of life and joy of genuine friendship that made it felt like a slice-of-life story despite the parade of corrupt politician and gangstery stuff. At first I watched this for Hyun Bin and he didn't disappoint in his potrayal of Dong-soo, a quiet but deeply damaged man. And after watching this drama, I want him to take another not-rich-nor-powerful character because he shines in this role, and it would be a shame if he kept being typecast as a hot and assy chaebol.

Top Star Yoo Baek: Ma Dol Oppa deserves a woman whi loves him as much as he will love her !

About the flashbacks, there's this other take on them that may make them more palatable?

In the same blog is a longer write-up on other reasons for the flashbacks. 😃

Oohh... this is an interesting take on the flashbacks. I was also questioning the director's choices a lot in this drama given that I've watched what he can do in project like Secret Forest. But that explanation about him trying to replicate the mechanism of a game and creating a touch of surrealism in the story actually makes sense (and also makes it more palatable).

Also, I love the non-linear storytelling. Western dramas don't do that much.

Good writing. I wasn't thinking of them in terms of gaming and logging back in/out, but I was seeing the flashbacks as a way to see what happened in the past from a different angle.
Notice that the flashbacks would happen as a way for the person to see happened a little differently. Ahaaa - that is what he meant! (or something along those lines..)
So they haven't bothered me as much as they bother others.

I like the flashbacks. That's one reason I like kdramas, because of all the flashbacks.

That moment when you see them recapped shows having custom-made pages … I guess there’s no love for the other dramas. Oh well. (I’m totally not annoyed)

An Empress’s Dignity:
Is the Emperor really deserving of redemption at this stage? It’s hard to tell if he’s truly feeling guilty or if his obsession with Sunny is clouding him to think as such. The most telling test will be when he discovers that both Na Wang Shik and Sunny have teamed up to manipulate him. Will he revert back to his murderous ways? I hope he’s greyer than that!

Clean With Passion for Now:
Now that the main couple has finally gotten together, I expect the ugly obstacles to rear their heads next week, never mind that it is a boring cliche taken from the drama rulebook. I don’t understand what exactly the male lead’s mother was trying to achieve by that shock therapy, though it great’s that like her allegiances to her son’s happiness are clear.

Memories of the Alhambra:
Even if the writer manages to explain what the hell is going on with the game next week during the finale, I don’t think she’ll be able to write off the fact that the ex-wife character is inside the story to manufacture some drama. I’m really upset that the story couldn’t even make her out to be a plausible red herring for the ultimate culprit, but it is what it is.

Still need to catch up on The Crowned Clown and My Strange Hero over the weekend!

I've wondered if they re-wrote the Emperor's storyline because so many fans wanted him redeemed. But with all the twists and turns and the good directing and acting we can only watch and wait to see how he turns out. I sort of wish his first Empress was still alive (I mean, isn't almost everybody still alive?).

I'm watching....

...healthy looking Yoon Kyun Sang (seriously lately I'm worried about majority of the main actors, they look so unhealthily thin)...and still love his take on Seon Kyul, being it the comedy parts... or the vulnerable parts...

...energy ball Boksu... and his (class)friends... and teacher Park... and still hope for Seho to get out of the suffocating influence of his mom... and to heal... (and btw, I love the directing, I think it often elevates the writing).

...sweet Seo Jun (Gagnam Scandal)... to help me fall asleep 😁

I'm not watching...

...Clown... yet... because I'm too tired and not in the right mood.

....episode 14 of Boyfriend... will wait till the show finishes next week because I can't bear the potential break up for so many days.

And...

... I'm definitely watching Alhambra this weekend!!! 😍 Hope Jinwoo will finally find his peace... (but not the final one, Show!!!).

Was watching clips of Yoon Kyung-Sang from this week’s episodes and thought how real and adorable and, yes, healthy! he looks! It really makes you think about beauty standards since he is just a genuinely big and tall man. Also that maybe sageuk clothing suits him better?! 😅

Yees~ sageuk clothes fit him really well. I hope to see him in a king's robe someday. I miss him in sageuk 😆

*Cant wait for MoA tonight 😆*

What im watching at the moment:
1. Top Star Yoo Baek
2. Sky Castle
3. The Last Empress
4. Memories of Alhambra
5. Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul Ho 2
6. The Crowned Clown

Completed:
Children of Nobody

Bok-soo's Back: So funny - my favourite scene this week was the students being kidnapped to go study. That shot of the inside of the van, crowded with all the bemused characters, killed me. This show is genius and I love it. ❤

The Crowned Clown: I don't have lot to say on this one; it's a very solid, cinematic experience, and one thing it seems really good at is building tension. The thundering drum instrumentals are gorgeous, I hope they get released at some point.

The Last Empress: I'm actually obsessed with this now. Strangely, it reminds me of Shining Inheritance - mental, with a billion sub-plots, filled with occasionally idiotic villains who show too much on their faces, and ridiculously re-watchable.

Mother: Almost done! I wish I'd watched this earlier, then I could have voted for it in all the End of Year polls.

Hidamari ga Kikoeru: Eh. It's not terrible?

I am glad you loved Mother, it is the finest drama ever made. My fav episode is the one in which soo-jin's adopted mother dies. The commentary was so good, I watched it with my dad and mom.
After that my dad never said a single complain about Korean dramas.

Another fan of MOTHER. Both, the original Japanese and Korean version.

I watched the scene where Cha Young-shin died twice because it was SO beautiful! I loved everything about it, right down to the shirt she was wearing. Bless that woman - she managed to make the character so complex, proud but tender and breakable.

I clutched my heart the first time I heard the drums at the end of The Crowned Clown's first episode. Can I have that as my personal soundtrack? Can we end every team meeting with pulsing drums? Will my teenager listen to me if my parental pronouncements are followed with Crowned Clown drumming?

Those drums are the highlight of the show!

Goodness, what hasn't reminded you of Shining Inheritance! So are you watching it for the 117th time?

Haha, I've almost finished this rewatch now, but I don't want to act like a broken record! 😂

I was planning to finish the last 4 (or 5?) episodes of Falling Stars... but seeing SailorJumun's comment, I think I will only read the recaps... I'm not strong enough 😨

Hi @dorotka. I would suggest finishing HMSFFTS if only for Seo In-guk's fine performance. From my reading most beanies (including me) were disappointed with the Korean version's ending. You can decide for yourself.
Also I noticed above (#4) that you are a fan of Yoon Kyun-sang.
Did you watch his performance in REBEL: THIEF WHO STOLE THE PEOPLE? If so, what did you think? I have not entered the Hong Gildong kdrama world yet.

Best Love - just finished it and I regret not watching it sooner. It was pure joy. With a heart. Cha Seung Won as Dokko Jin was ridiculous in the best way possible.
Memories of the Alhambra - despite the flaws in logic/science I still find the drama extremely enjoyable. It helps that Hyun Bin's managed to make his character a compelling hero and got me invested in his fate.

Best Love 😍
I still have the main song as my ring tone 😊

Every so often, I just go on the binge listening to that song. I love that song!

Best Love is why I still look forward to a Hong Sister's drama though I've been burned with their shows a few times. When they get it right, they really get it right.

That's why I'm cautiously optimistic about their new drama that is supposed to be broadcast this year. I hope it will turn out more like Best Love rather than Big

I love Best Love, but I feel like the success of Best Love, with its more hero-centric story, has led them onto a path sidelining their heroines. I'm hoping for them to get back to putting their heroines in the spotlight.

Best Love = ❤️ Cemented both Gong Hyo-jin and Cha Seung-won as some of my all time faves if not favorite. A classic.

Best Love is one of my favs! Watching that drama and reading the recaps was one of the highlights of my drama watching.

The Crowned Clown: I’m loving the show and also having interesting conversations on recap threads. It’s been a while. 😊

Best Chicken: Super prickly female lead tries to ruin super Beta-male lead’s restaurant. Of course it backfires because he is killing her with kindness. If only his first love didn’t have to waltz in this week. 🙄

Children of Nobody - I'm satisfied with how it ended. It was realistic, although RC's reveal became anti climactic once EH exited. He played his role really well. What I'm not happy about is Wk's stepmom is still allowed to hang out with her daughter. Whether she really did the deed or is still lying is irrelevant. Also SY's step brother was a last minute addition and it wasn't resolved well. And JH's apprehension regarding kids and the reason why he broke up with his GF. Did she lose her child or abort? I don't remember.

Bad Detective - Can we move past JHM finally? I'm interested to see what happens now that ESJ is not what it seems to be.

The crowned clown - I feel the supporters of the royal couple in the palace can be counted on one hand. But hopefully they would be enough.

Priest - I hope it doesn't turn out like in father Oh's subconscious and our main characters are ok .

I watched few webdramas as well.
No time for love -Story about 2 students struggles while balancing their college, job searching and of course love.
Miss independent Jieun- Short and sweet romance of 2 colleagues.
Why - 3 friends go on a trip after one of them has a horrible breakup and their experiences on the trip.

"Did she lose her child or abort?" I am not 100% sure, but my memory is he was totally unhappy about it and she knew so she had an abortion but that was in the earliest episodes and maybe they were never clear about it.

Yes, @superwhopotterlock @sorrynotsorry
They were never clear about the child that Ji Heon was supposed to have fathered. I figure the guilt and the reason for the anger of ex-gf was because she had aborted the baby.

Kdrama

Boksoo's Revenge- Stan Soojeong. This show is getting better and better every week and I appreciate that this week's eps put some spotlight on the Wildflower Class's kids, it's about time anyway.😆

The Guest ep 10- Great. As always. And I did a happy dance when Yoon cared for Hwa-pyung. Hohoho~😁

Anime

Fukigen na Mononokean Tsuzukiep 2- Cute. Getting better, and more new characters are being introduced. And of course Mojamoja is mojamoja like always.

Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue ep 2- SUPER CUTE. MC who hates people and socializing ends up adopting a cat and they start to heal and open up to each other, with some heartbreaking backstory. What's not to like? Fluffy and meaningful.💘😆💐✨

Kaguya-sama ep 1- Extreme tsunderes who refuse to acknowledge their feeling and so the game of push-and-pull begins. Interesting 1st ep. Stan Chika-chan💖

Dororo ep 1- Not enough to keep me interested. Perhaps I will pick it up again after few eps later.

Grimms Notes The Animation ep 1- Dropped.

Egao no Daika ep 2. Wow. And here I thought it's gonna be some light fighting with a mix of slice-of-life about cute princess ruling the country but what a plot twist at the end of ep 2. Didn't expect they would go there.

Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai ep 1- Entertaining. I loved the views from the planes.

Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka ep 1- Just okay 1st ep. Will keep watching.

Meiji Tokyo Renka ep 1- zzzzzzz. Please, don't be so absent-minded and helpless, dear FL. =_=

Jdrama

Queen ep 1- Solid start. Takeuchi Yuko, Mizukawa Asami, guhhh my kokoro, couldn't ask for more. A mix of 24 Hours and Charlie's Angels but with less violence and more law. Fun and enjoyable.😍

Trace-Kasouken no Otoko ep 1- Had to check this one out because of Nishikido Ryo. No English subs yet, so I didn't understand a thing 😂. Ryo is okay but the old guy is too over-acting, not a fan. Someone please fire the music director, the BGM is so tacky and unsuitable with the tone of this drama, I kept wondering whether I was watching a crime show or Parapara Sakura movie.

Chugakusei Nikki ep 4-11- SPOILER ALERT. I need to rant about this show. This show is a very good and interesting human drama, but the romance is one of the worst ever. I picked it up back and finished it last week after dropping it at ep 3 few weeks ago, and rewatched it this week, to know whether my opinion will change. Nope, it doesn't. I tried really hard to look at the relationship in a positive light but red flags start to show up all over again. I never on board with this couple. 1st, because of the age, I will never support a relationship between adult-underage, but I tried to give it a chance because every story has a side that we don't know and I want to understand the reasons behind their actions. The mistake with the director is...

Dance sport girl: I finally had the the time to watch this short drama and it was everything I expected. So bittersweet and thoughtful, and the characters were so lovely and relatable. Park Se Wan was incredible in this and I’m glad I got to see her in a role that showed her acting talent. Same with Jang Dong Yoon who was the only male lead character but never felt out of place. Definitely the best kbs drama of 2018.

I freaking LOVE this drama. I cried a lot while watching it, ahaha~😂

...oh, don't tell me... but I don't regret a single tear...

Same. The mother made me cry a lot

Jang Dong Yoon did well here.

Shall we fall in Love 7.5/10

rest of the comment later

Busy busy busy.

All Japanese Movies half watched. Jumping from 1 movie to another.

Another good news - now we are getting continuous Japanese raws.

Alhambra - 7/10. Guys don't cry blah blah blah. People Get scared, people do cry. Crying not means you are weak. There are people who easily cry(irrespective of gender).
Maybe He-Joo or Shin Hye has an eye infection, Maybe she drinks too much water, Maybe Writer gets pleasure from watching Shin Hye cry whatever the reason it still doesn't make Hee-Joo a weak character. OFFFFF. I'm surprised how this foolish view is still strong with people.

Liver Or Die - Such a predictable 2005 drama. Thankfully they didn't turn it into weakened 35-50 episodes drama. Story is a bit incoherent. Transition from one event to another, one scene to another is not smooth and annoyingly done. Few characters look so extra. But, still i am enjoying this show a lot. This show has those emotions and heart that makes you want to see more.
Future assumption - All 5 siblings will fall apart. Its time now. Then they will somehow come back together. At the right moment eldest brother won't get help from any of his 4 siblings. But then a home run will be scored.

@beantown @bernadett would you like to discuss ChugaKusei Nikki with @mango here or at discord?

Mei Nagano - 3-nen a gumi - Waiting Translation

Kemonare - Now i understand why ratings dropped after 1st episode. Its boring. I like Yui Aragaki but the show has no translation and the one translation available is quite rough and takes meaning out of conversation. Understandable but not fluent enough to make right notes.

Kekkon - dropped. -ve

Flipped - chinese magic - dropped

Yuube wa Otanoshimi Deshita ne - 8/10 - Good Manga and good 1st episode.

Emily's 5 things - Taiwanese drama. Heroine is worth watch but everything else is meh.

About is Love - Low quality trash. Why every 3rd chinese drama has same rich dude and dumb heroine?

I's - Cute prince of legend female actor doing some AHEM scenes here. Atleast that you can imagine like the hero. Why tv drama? Anime is the right medium for ecchi manga.

I'm sailing Seriously aka Maji de Koukaishitemasu - yes yes yes translated. Kdrama writers need to learn a lot. see

Rent a Boyfriend aka Kareshi wo ron de kaimashita - 4 episodes. entertaining. Sarcastic take on society and the way it apply roles for both genders. It is mostly a parody. I like ERINA MANO.

@frabbycrabsis Sugisaki Hana's new drama
Haken Ataru
Competing with Mei Nagano. fun

Rent a Boyfriend seems it could be fun, will try it.

Weirdly I'm finding Kekkon more interesting now.
I saw the fansub map, and I'm glad we're getting so many new dramas.
Mei Nagano - 3-nen a gumi .. if eng subs don't come I'll just watch the spanish ones 😌

Its a Chinese show. Nichkhun's comedy romance.
Its fun. Songs are good. Story is typical. There are illogical scenes a hallmark of Chinese dramas. But, i'm enjoying this show

Here is the main song -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VPGZGl8Bdg

I hesitate to pick up this one. I will decide after your final thought on it :)

@beantown @bernadett @frabbycrabsis @fanwho @newso @gledis-sotiri @lixie lets try new manga to live-action JOSEI ROMANCE

31Female and high school student!!?
1st episode's translation is out -
Hajimete Koi wo Shita Hi ni Yomu Hanashi aka A story to read when you 1st fall in love Female actor can't act well but whatever let's give it a chance.
Yuube's 2nd episode translation is also up.

I'm in :D

I just downloaded it.
Plus, aoihachi is doing Haken Uranaishi Ataru next.
I'm going to trust them and give the series a try.

Nichkhun's adorable. Illogical scenes are a hallmark of Chinese dramas? Hmm, I haven't even noticed but then I'm a highly illogical person.

This week we have a school drama (Strange Hero) and Ko Hyun-Jung (Neighborhood). But if those are your thing, better just (re)watch Queen's Classroom.

Memories of the Alhambra: 9.5/10 Explanations. And things happen.

Priest: 6/10 Hard to score. It's slightly better after the reset, but I still don't like that fast one they pulled on us.

God's Quiz 5: 7/10 Final ep explained things well but just didn't click with me.

My Strange Hero: 6/10 Standard underdog-vs-corrupt-authority rerun of stuff I have seen 826,534 times before. Which is 826,530 too many. But I will probably stick with it.

Crowned Clown: 7.5/10 I thought the real king was overdone and not very believable (since historical king was a war hero), but the rest was ok. The less we see of real king the better -- is it possible my wish is being granted ??

Bad Detective / Less than Evil: 8/10 Better now with new villain.

Neighborhood Lawyer 2 / My Lawyer, Mr. Jo 2: 0/10 Dropped partway into ep 3. Actually even far worse than Strange Hero in the rerun-of-stuff-I-have-seen dept. There's a point beyond which acting, directing and execution in general can't make up for a lame plot.

Children of Nobody: 7/10

An Empress's Dignity / Last Empress: 9/10 Princess Ari!

Crowned: Hmm, I've added it to the watchlist because everyone seems to love it so. Your 7.5/10 makes me rethink it might be okay to not like it, since I really couldn't get into it the first time I tried. And Yes, Princess Ari! What a great little actress she is! Writing and directing for her are spot on!

7.5 isn't bad by my standards... and the character I like least might be less prominent next week (?)

FYI, this remake is not about Gwanghae anymore, as the producer and actors have stressed over and over again - he’s purely fictional in the tv version.

Finally caught up on all the episodes that are currently out of Boyfriend. Now I'm live-watching and stuck in the anxious mode of waiting for the next episode and the next recap.

Aargh, live-watching is hard; but waiting to binge-watch a show later (and thus missing out on having a conversation about the show in the recaps with smart, insightful, funny Beanies) is hard, too!

I prefer to watch along with the community, to scream, sigh and squee together. It makes the shows that much more fun!! 😆

Heheheh @sailorjumun I feel ya over Hundred Million Stars From the Sky. It was an abrupt and shocking end and that was it. I felt so cheated. Somehow the way the end was executed spoiled the good parts of the show for me. Although it might have been the ending that was planned from the start of the writing, the way it was played out made it feel like it was shoved in at the end just to ensure it was a tragedy.

What I'm Watching
Red Moon, Blue Sun - I finished this a couple of days ago. This was a thoughtful and thought-provoking exploration of the judgement and punishment of child abusers. I liked how the show played out all the mysteries and the 'crime of the day', the reveals and the hints that enabled us viewers to play along. It was a suitable ending, realistic and not pat. I liked how no romance was involved, but that there was friendship that withstood reasons to mistrust.

SPOILERS - If there was anything to complain about it would be that not enough information was given to us about the real baddie until nearing the end, that there was too little backstory of Ji Heon and Soo Young, and that it would have been nice if all 4 leads had survived. At least the closest we got for a happy ending for our cops is Ji Heon acknowledging Soo Young as one of his people, and Soo Young gets his open offer to call for a partner if ever she faced her abusive step-brother again.

SPOILERS - The ending for Woo Kyung remains open. There is hope that Woo Kyung will get over her guilt over the death of her sister, (because it happened on the same day that she pushed her for wearing the dress). That she will forgive her step-mother fully and be at peace. That with Se Kyung awake and well she has family again to rely on.

A heart wrenching yet vaguely hopeful show.

Memories of Alhambra - It is better than W - Two Worlds. The game concept and environment remains awesome. The logic although not explained, has remained more or less consistent for the latter episodes, which keeps me mollified but does not stop me wanting explanations anyway.

This show was meant to be about 1 protagonist's adventure into another reality, beating the game at it's own rules or winning despite the rules. It could have remained that way all through and still been a great show. Writer Song's admission that romance was added as an afterthought makes this much more evident, but I do appreciate how she tried to give Emma a significant though low-key role. Not enough but better than nothing?

Boyfriend/Encounter
This is something I wrote about Boyfriend/Encounter in the kfangurl blog. Show genre? Although the main thrust is romance, I do not consider it a comedy. A serious romance with an exploration of whether someone so controlled and nurtured to serve and accommodate the interests of others, and to not rock the boat, would be able to take the steps to really free herself.

The show is also called Encounter, which may help to balance out the perspective of the relationship and reality from both sides ie Jin Hyuk's and Soo Hyun's perspectives. But show is also entitled 'Boyfriend' which might be more accurate for me since I feel this show is more about Soo Hyun's growth. Calling it Boyfriend refers to seeing the world from Soo Hyun's perspective.

I am interested in the development of Soo Hyun's character who finally dared to be happy, dared to stand up for herself and regain or get for the first time, agency in how she lived. What it took was a chance encounter with someone who was not as fettered as she was, and who dared to stand up for her, when she was unable to stand up for herself.

SPOILERS - There are ups and downs in her growth of course, and I was observing a down with the last episode as Soo Hyun stared at a painting of a female body, painted from shoulders down only and in a dress more like a shroud. The headless, 'dead' lady was a poignant comment and reminder of how she had lived her life for many years.

SPOILERS - There are ups and downs … and I was observing a down with the last episode as Soo Hyun stared at a painting of a female body, painted from shoulders down only and in a dress more like a shroud. The headless, 'dead' lady was a poignant comment and reminder of how she had lived her life for many years. And how she might continue to choose to live.

The animation as preview and epilogue of several episodes strike me not so much as being light or magical, but rather in the fairy tale tradition of the Grimms Brothers, …more grim. Not all epilogues were positive.

SPOILERS - Soo Hyun continues to live in the real world while having a foot in a fairy-tale romance. In the last 2 episodes Soo Hyun will face the wrath of those whose control she has disdained, and the woes of Jin Hyuk's family (and friends?). With serious reality as the underpinning of this show, I'll not be surprised if the ending was opposite from what I guess the majority want, ie, if it was NOT a happily ever after. That, to me would be much more interesting, but at the same time, that is unlikely to be the ending because it would require that the writer and PD be very daring to brave the ire of knetizens.

I would like to read more, can you tell me the link of the blog?

Sure thing ... it's a blog with very well written reviews called the Fangirl Verdict.

https://thefangirlverdict.com/2019/01/19/dropped-boyfriend-encounter/?c=59396#comment-59396 This review states why the blogger dropped Boyfriend. I found it interesting. 😎

Thanks GB! This person said pretty much what I have been saying about dating an employee, it's just not done, and even when it is, not like that. However show keeps pretending to deal with reality while denying it. It's not my only issue with Boyfriend but it is the main reason I don't get any emotion from it.

I haven't read this, want to watch it at some point, but I do really enjoy her reviews.

I read this earlier today, and your thoughts as well. I ended up saying something similar as well. I still really like this one. I'm sorry she dropped it, but the heart likes what it likes. If you're not feeling the connection, it's no use forcing it.

Agree with the blogger. I am still half heartedly watching, but have never been able to see anything in the drama but two very pretty actors reading scripted lines and being told how they should respond. Worst, most stilted, unrealistic dialogue I've EVER heard in a Kdrama. And the literary allusions, constantly dropped like product placements, are clumsy and pretentious, and do nothing to advance the story or the characters. It's just a big shout out of, "Look at how meaningful and arty this drama and these people are!"

Someone here commented that while My Strange Hero has a much thinner storyline, and much lower production values, the story is far more interesting to watch than the much more expensive, visually stunning Encounter, becuase in MSH, the actors are doing a great job selling their characters, and you end up caring about what happens to them.

I think Boyfriend is the first Kdrama I've ever watched that I've never been able to forget for one second that I'm watching two actors delivering lines some screen writer wrote for them, and pretending to be characters in a drama. That it's two super talented actors like Song Hye-kyo and Park Bo-gum who are coming across this way says a lot about how badly this drama is filmed and directed.

I was just reading the comments to the review (I found thefangirlverdict some weeks ago searching for The love knot), and there was one I agreed with. I looked at the name of the author... and it was you!
Is the Ally two comments below @ally-le? I like that comment and the insight into the characters of SH.

I reading this blog, too, and I love they way she thinks about the shows and her breakdown of how their made really adds to my enjoyment of them. I usually agree with her take on things, and while I really appreciated her thoughts on this - it made me think and I think she's probably right - I still like the show. I don't love every little thing about it, but overall am enjoying my time spent with Boyfriend.

MOA: Normally I won't comment on MoA because I like it a lot. I always knew it was totally about him and everyone else is a peripheral character, including her. Interesting note the "romance" was an afterthought for the writer. No spoilers, but uh-oh.

Completed
Red moon,blue sun The ending was perfect, never in the world they ever had explained the title of the drama so well.
Catching up
Boyfriend A lot to catch up here but its a real gem in the way its written and characters are fledged.
The priest I don't know why am I so slow in catching up with this drama.
The Sky castle It lovely to see reality on TV about the teenage I lived, where exam scores and entrance exams ruled life, no one has time for romance.

@oppafangirl
I was still wondering about that title of Red Moon, Blue Sun, what was it about the brother and sister and one taking the place of the other? So much guilt borne by those who were not at fault?

I was 'supposed' to continue to watch Priest, but after the twist with the memories, I can't seem to get myself to go back to continue.

I will come back to your question soon, I am still trying to articulate my thoughts on the ending scene of this show, I don't want to do it injustice.

So here I am back and my take on the final ending and the name:
First a remark on the gender, the sun and moon are both female in the book she is reading. And to me it is her (WK) guilt over thinking "Thank god, its not me". Its her wish that when her sister like the moon cried in the night that she was scared of darkness (in her case darkness maybe a metaphor for evil stepmom) she like the sun should have decided to switch spots with her younger sister. Thus the kid who cried i.e, the red moon would have found lived (in the poem leper the kid was eaten away, a reference to her step mom killing her younger sister) and shined by becoming the sun during the day and WK would have been able to end the fury which was inside her and become the blue sun which which shines in night as the moon.
I would also interpret the color red as the redness in the eyes of the kid by crying and blue the color of fury as its the hostest color in the flame.

Although I think there will be many other interpretations of this ending, what is yours?

I've actually been wanting to do a final review comment on RMBS all week, but have been hesitating cause I'm still stuck trying to unpack the full meaning behind Red Moon, Blue Sun. It's clearly meant to be the over-arching motif for the entire show, but it's not an easy one for me to figure out either. I was wondering if it might have something to do with the idea of sacrifice and human nature since the Sun willingly plunges itself into darkness in order to raise the Moon to the brightness of day.

There's definitely a theme going on in this show about choice and how we make choices that don't always go along with what would be expected of us. Humans are very interesting creatures because we're not necessarily 100% moral beings but we're also not entirely self-serving. A question that's been coming to mind a lot while trying to digest this show is "why do we forgive and give second chances?" Logically speaking, human beings may be the only creature on earth that does this and I have a feeling that the RMBS symbolism may be related to that concept. Like, maybe it's an expression of human nature in that we're able to make decisions that may cause ourselves pain or be otherwise illogical just for someone else's sake? I'm still working this theory out in my head though so I'd be really interested in hearing other people's thoughts about the ending line in RMBS.

On a quick note, I think there are many more creatures who forgive than just humans, like dogs and many pets. There are lot of pets which keep on staying with abusive owners and so on.
I can think of many other animals who make illogical decisions just for others sake, I don't think its very human but very in the nature of what the emotions are like love.
But I am still thinking ....
Thank you for your lovely comment. There is so much to unpack in that show.

Now that RMBS is ended and I can binge-watch, reading everyone's comments about the ending will make it much more interesting to watch - I'll have to pay attention for a change.

sure, tell us yours once you are done.

@oppafangirl @linda-palapala @hobakky
On the Name of this Show I was trying to find an English translation or summary of the tale of The Sun and the Moon but only found a blurb in 'goodreads'. Then I found an English animation of a story that might have been what was in the storybook that WK read.

First the Youtube version. Note I'm not sure if this is the same version as in the book that WK read, but the 4 protagonists (2 Children, Mother, Tiger) are there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HpdEpXbmO4

And here is the blurb from goodreads:
""A long time ago in Korea, there was not enough light. It was before the sun and the moon had been created." So begins one of the most treasured folktales of Korea. Reminiscent of Little Red Riding Hood, this ancient tale reveals how a hungry tiger tries to trick a young boy and girl into thinking that he is their mother. But their sharp wits and a measure of good luck are enough to save the children and reunite them with their mother, high above in the sky. Together, they bring the first rays of sunlight and moonlight to the world below. …" I may add to that, that the Tiger was relentless in searching out the children and threatening them.

Red Moon, Blue Sun is a story of children, who are mostly siblings at the mercy of a bad adult (Tiger)
- non and even step siblings (WK and older SK, Soo Young and her step brother, unrelated siblings like Director and Eun Ho),
- brother & sister (Shi Wan and sister, boy killed by WK and his sister),
- sister and sister (WK and younger SK, Ha Na and dead baby sister?),
- brother and brother (Red Cry Yoon and Eun Ho)
(The only ones who do not fall into this category are Bit Na and son of Park Ji Hye).

The Tiger tries to trick the children into thinking her their mother - as WK's step mother keeps claiming that she brought them up for 30 years while suffering. Just as Bit Na's mum says she hurts her daughter out of love, as Ha Na's father pretends to want her back to protect himself, and in the way that Head Director is considered by Eun Ho to be like a father to him. But they were actually the Tiger.

They were hounded and abused for a long time and their only respite was when they were taken to the sky (they died). In the case of abuse, it was often the elder child that survived but with great trauma, profound guilt, with memory loss or a a desire for vengeance against the Tigers of the world.

Being the victim who survived or even the sibling of a victim, did not mean one grew up to be better than the abusers. Eun Ho who suffered and his brother who is enraged at his suffering become killers.

WK and Shi Wan (and Killer Red Cry?) suffer from survivor's guilt that they did not get abused and killed "Thank goodness it wasn't me!"

I was trying to reconcile the story in the children's storybook with the last words of WK's voice over in Ep 16. - "Terrified of the dark night, the moon cried every night.
'Sun (Unnie) I'm scared.'
The Sun, who felt bad for her sister, decided to switch spots with her.
That's why the blue sun came to shine upon us at night, and the red moon now shines upon us during the day. That's how the red moon became the sun and the blue sun became the moon."

I believe that WK 're-wrote' the story for herself in these last words. In the actual tale, there was an older brother and a younger sister and both were taken up to the sky (where they may have reunited with their mother, who had been killed by the tiger first), while the tiger who had hounded them to eat them fell to the ground and died.

Bit Na said that she had interpreted the story differently. That she had thought her mother was generally good but sometimes turned into the tiger, meaning that she identified the tiger with her mother.

WK changed the tale to say that there were 2 sisters and the younger one (the Red Moon) was afraid at night of the dark (the abuse), so the older sister (Blue Sun) exchanged places. Only in WK's life that was not what happened. Instead, she lived with the Tiger, treating her as her mother, while the exchange of places was not between the real siblings but between the step sister and her real sister.

I guess WK will never be free from the burden of guilt. She not only pushed her sister away the night that she died, but she lost her memory after that, and 'forgot' her sister. She had bought into the lies that her parents told her and had innocently become complicit to the crime of her parents (neglect or abuse? And hiding the body/crime).

Possibly her voiceover may mean that as part of her survivor's guilt and the guilt of forgetting her sister, she wishes that she could have taken Se Kyung's place.

In any case, the title of this show is poignant and profound and so very sad, based in a sense on a tale to tell children to beware of those who pretended to care for them. 😔

Thanks so much! That adds so much to the show.

Thank you very much!

never in the world they ever had explained the title of the drama so well

Sooo true, the drama isn't without flaws and there are things I wish they would've done better but that ending soothed a lot of my complaints.

Red Moon, Blue Sun: Good job everyone involved.

Memories of Alhambra: I had stalled at episode 5 but jumped back in and found I had to turn this into a background drama while I putzed around doing chores. I like the concept of this show but the execution didn't quite work for me. Hoping it wraps up well.

Fate & Fury: I really enjoyed the first half but having trouble watching last weeks episodes. I don't buy the lead guy falling that quickly that he's thinking marriage, and the gal is doing such a convoluted revenge scenario that seems unnecessary.

Encounter: I've totally stalled after episode 9 but I will finish since it is ending this week and I'm curious about how it concludes but the drama has lost its charm for me.

C-Dramas:

Story of MingLan: This could end up in my top five favorite c-dramas. With Red Moon/Blue Sun ending, it is the drama I most look forward to and this is with a show putting out episodes every day. MingLan mentioning how she needs to consider the lowest aspect of a man and if she can live with it was so true, and I'm wondering what she thinks the lowest thing is about her soon to be husband.

Story Of Minglan: Same! Drama is now my favorite as well. Slow-burn show but it’s getting better and exciting as the story progresses. A rare thing for a C-drama! Sheng family annoyed me at first but they grew on me, and find them amusing now. Same with Gu TingYe, I really disliked him in the beginning. But his promise to MingLan which made her finally accept his marriage proposal is one of the best I’ve ever seen in dramaland. And I’m taking back my word. I don’t dislike him anymore.

I love seeing someone enjoying it as much as I do. One of the things the drama does well is showing that none of these people is perfect including all three of the main suitors. I don't dislike the 2nd male lead because he couldn't make his marriage happen and doesn't think outside the box. I think it is very realistic. I like that GTY had to learn a few things the hard way in life because, in the end, it made him stronger but it was a painful path.

It is like a 73 episode Song Dynasty version of an Austen novel.

I'm glad to be live watching Ming Lan because it's so fabulous and I'd hate to have missed it because of an episode count that would normally get a 'nope!' from me. It's definitely becoming a top favourite over here too.

So how do I watch Minglan when I don't like the actress AT ALL? I hated her in Mystic Nine and Legend of Zu. (This is the same actress, right??)

I guess my question is do you think she is a bad actress or did you just not like her characters in those dramas?

I started watching this not recognizing she was the actress in Boss & Me which is the only drama of hers I'd seen before (as far as I know). I planned to watch Princess Agents but heard it went south and apparently she was in that.

So if you think she's a bad actress, I don't have anything to offer. I am just one of those people who doesn't have particularly negative feelings about sub-par actors; I'm in it for the story so I can overlook bad production, editing etc Heck in C-drama, how many of us watch crappily produced dramas - including some questionable acting - because we love the story. (And I guess K-drama as well.)

Anyway, you'll notice I'm not telling you to give it a try. It's 73 episodes so if you don't like the gal, don't put yourself through it. However, I think she's doing well in her role. There has been only one time where I felt some of the anguish in a situation didn't come through well enough but in 38 episodes, that's not too bad. Realistically her character is someone who's had to hold everything in because of her situation so she could have played it just the way she was supposed to so if you feel she over-acted, that's shouldn't be an issue here.

First of all in Mystic Nine she almost ruined the drama for me, but other fans loved her, so go figure, it must be a subjective thing. I didn't like her character for sure, but there was something about her portrayal too which I can't remember right off. I think it was the too saucy overacting. I'm going to watch it again since it's on Viki now. Legend of Zu I thought her martial arts skills were terrible, she just whirled around supposedly looking cool, but nah, it was cringe worthy. I liked the character in Legend of Zu because it starts out she's married to the young William Chan, I just didn't buy her acting. Or maybe it was the directing...plus she was the same personality in both dramas, that female that drives me nuts.
In other words I really want to give Minglan a look to see if it really is her as an actress or if it was the roles she played in the other two. If she's still over acting in Minglan I'll pass. If her character is subtle and it comes off well, I'll know it was just the other roles. Whew.

Okay, with what you've said, I'd give MingLan a go. If Story of MingLan was a so so drama, I'd have you just give it a pass but - though it takes a while to lay the foundation of all the characters - it just gets better and better and better....

So if you have time, give it a go. It will seem like every harem drama you've seen in the initial episodes but stick with it. It really is about the entire family and other characters as well. (After the first polo match is when you'll see more forward momentum in the story)

In my honest opinion, she does not overact but all these people in this drama are flawed and more realistic than normally seen in C-drama. I'll cross fingers you'll like it!!

I've watched a number of her dramas, and the two you mentioned were ones I couldn't get into, though I love Ming Lan. I haven't liked Zhao Liying in everything she's done, but when I like her in a role, I really like her.
Her characters in Rookie Agent Rouge and The Journey of Flower were pretty different, so it's possible you'd like her in one drama and not another. She's pretty inoffensive in Ming Lan (i.e., she's smart in a quiet way). It's sort of a low-key role, so, if anything, you might find her character underwhelming more than annoying. I liked her the most in Ming Lan and Princess Agents, personally.

It did take me awhile to warm up to Ming Lan since the childhood version was outspoken and take-charge and played by one of the best cdrama child actresses I've ever seen. That kid had presence! Via her mother's death, Ming Lan learned to never stand out, so we start off with older Ming Lan (Zhao Liying) appearing sort of blank, indecisive, and colorless. It takes awhile, but the drama slowly shows us that she is still that clever kid and that she is capable of feeling strongly. And then you really root for her and admire her for the way she takes care of things from the shadows and without going too beyond the bounds of propriety.

I think Story of Ming Lan stands out from a lot of the cdramas I've seen by being the Chinese equivalent to those british period dramas, which are slow yet riveting.

Slow yet riveting was one of the most compelling reasons I liked Nirvana in Fire 2. I love the slower pace of the Chinese dramas I've watched.
Besides NiF2 my favorite cdrama this year is Oriental Odyssey which is totally the opposite. It's fairly fast paced, quirky, cute, and a lot of fun. I love all the characters. On the 2nd watch I've realize the writing is far more clever than I'd given it credit for. The first 30 or so episodes actually take place after episode 44. But you don't realize that, you think it's all linear. It's kind of hard to explain except that it's obvious they were fated to be together, both in her kingdom where he's a slave and in his kingdom where he's a gorgeous prince. It has to do with memory loss and was very well handled.
In other words, my favorite dramas this year, both kdrama or cdrama are the two above.
I won't get to Ming Lan again for awhile since I have about 30 on my watchlist.

Yay! I was wondering if I would see any love for Minglan, my new addiction. I really like this one, too. Strangely enough, I'm having trouble getting through the last episodes of Memories of Alhambra, the other show I'm watching, while I suddenly can't get enough of Minglan. The pace of the latter may be glacially slow, but at least we seem to be moving forward and the series seems to get better as it progresses. I'm close to tearing my hair out with each flashback in Memories of Alhambra. I feel like shouting at the screen, "Please don't tell me you are going to spend the entire episode backtracking so that we can finally continue the cliffhanger at the end of the last episode! Argh!" It's one step forward, two steps back. It's weird how 70 episodes became less of a slog than 16.

Yeah, as I said, I had to turn MOA into a background drama. I will finish it up but it is my least favorite of the dramas I've seen from this writer. She has solid concepts but can't always pull them off. Unlike many, W didn't bother me even though it jumped the shark and whimpered to an end. I loved the first half so much, I didn't mind. Anyway, I'll finish MOA today or tomorrow and look forward to what everyone thinks.

Regarding Minglan, I know it is not for everyone. Many dropped early, but I find it so satisfactory that the time we put in learning about all these people in those initial episodes is paying off now. I find myself not even worrying about the 20 episodes of filler that would be coming my way in a regular 70+ episode C-drama. It's just not gonna happen here.

So I've tried Minglan 3 times and couldn't get into it. But my favorite cdrama of the year, Oriental Odyssey, was just not serious enough for most viewers, plus they thought it was a bad ending - which it wasn't! he came back to her. And I love MoA. I think flashbacks are either to give a different pov or to fill in info of why something happened. I love flashbacks.
Just to give you a different pov! MoA was all about him and somewhere here someone posted the writer wasn't planning a romance. I'll bet the people with money said no, you have to have a romance and a female lead or else we won't make enough money.

I think this is spoiler free:
There are a few people who will undoubtedly hate the last episode of MoA and especially the ending. But I thought it came to its logical conclusion.
Addendum to flashbacks: I now remember Only Side By Side With You. Sometimes Chinese dramas don't understand the use of flashbacks and use them totally for filler.

Sky Castle ! The latest death is so deliciously shocking and like a good whodunit, everyone is a suspect.

MoA : I guess it is too late to expect a logical ending, but thank you for thrilling moments and HyunBin. Bring on the ending !

Encounter : *roll eyes* gonna switch to recaps
Empress : Started this to check out the hype, absolutely need all craziness after sitting through Encounter ( where nothing happens )

I'm watching Hyde, Jekyll, Me to see more of Hyun Bin. @abz008 said that I should watch it for Hyun Bin, and not for the plot, and she described the perfection of Hyun Bin so perfectly that I had to watch it. So here's what I think. Hyun Bin was gorgeous then, in 2015, but he's absolutely breathtaking now. That smile in 2015 has deepened to become even more charming, if that's possible, the eyes are even more mesmerizing now, and those dimples have become even more pronounced. He had no chemistry with the actress in Hyde, and the story is annoying, and repetitive, and draggy in parts, but watching Hyun Bin gives me the strength to carry on. I'm at episode 6 now, and what an eternity it has been. Compare that to Alhambra, where episodes whirled past so fast, and his scenes with PSH left me swooning, and I'm just amazed and grateful that I got to see Hyun bin at his best in 2019. He's in peak form here, looks-wise and acting-wise, and I'm so excited to see how Alhambra concludes.

The Last Empress continues to throw my heart and mind into turmoil for shipping the girl with the villain. Lee Hyuk moves me, and his chemistry with Sunny is why I'm watching the show. I even wrote a fanfic on his moments with Sunny, but I don't even know how it's going to end. It's a biased, selfish fanfic based on my ship, and that ship, even though it's headed for the rocks, is in its own private, alternate reality in my book. You can read it if you like, but beware, it's only for die-hard Lee Hyuk-Sunny shippers.

Gulp, your description of Hyun Bin (fans self). I couldn't watch past episode 10 of Hyde even looking at him didn't work. Thank goodness there are dramas and movies with him that can be re-watched! I still want to re-watch Late Autumn (longest kiss in kdrama history).

Just read your fanfic. Nicely done!

LOL, "what an eternity it has been" . . .

Watched episode 6, and fastforwarded it. Couldn't finish it. She's drunk now, and is supposed to be cutely drunk, but she's annoying me so much. If this drama was a failure, it's in many ways due to her character. So annoying, and the blinding brilliance of Hyun bin's smile cannot make up for the sheer stupidity of the plot. She turns up at his house and moves in one day. What??????? No wonder the drama flopped. So tell me, how do I finish episode 6 without damaging my teeth further? She annoyed me so much that I had to grit my teeth throughout the ordeal of watching her hapless, "cute" face....I hate it when the heroine acts so blatantly cute, because it doesn't work for me. It makes me want to do violent things to her, and I'm such a peace-loving person, who lives to spread joy and love to the universe and beyond.

Yes. It was a show and she was a character that inspired violence. Pitchforks come to mind. It started for me in the first (second?) ep when they jumped into the pool that was 20 feet deep that common sense would tell anyone was a reflecting pool of 10" max. But no, down they went, and logic was drowned. I think the show never determined if it was a cartoon or a straight drama, so it was neither. She was awful. I seem to recall that HB picked her as the actress he'd most like to work with or some such, if that's even true (she was the dowager Queen in Fatal Encounter and reviewers thought they had chemistry). They were awful together but 90% was her. I will go out of my way to never watch that actress again lest I suffer fatal heebie-jeebies. Yecchhh. I ground out the whole show somehow - but don't recommend it. Why should your rods and cones suffer when I'm here to warn you? It doesn't get better. 👹 booga-booga! Stop now or FF all the way ➡️

Try watching Late Autumn trailers and kiss videos as a palate cleanser.
Also, YT has some great press conferences for The Negotiator with Son Ye Jin. He's so cute there.

Then it isn't just me!! Ah, the relief...I can't stand her acting, and I can't stop staring at her upper lip. It doesn't move when she talks or laughs. It stays frozen. She's being stalked by a killer, and wow, she's wearing a BRIGHT RED COAT and has her hair coloured BRIGHT RED!!!! She walks alone at night in that eye-catching ensemble, and she's either an attention-seeker, or has a death wish, or is just dumb. Maybe it's all three. And she's supposed to be in THE CIRCUS, writing those in caps, because they tell us every five minutes, and until now, I haven't seen a horse or a dancing puppy or a tiger. All I've seen is a man riding a unicycle and a trampoline. She's supposed to be a tightrope walker, they tell us that every ten minutes, but I haven't seen her walk a tightrope at all. She draws her plan for her show, but she can't draw. Sooooo annoyinggggggg. I can't stand her arghhhhhhh. She puts on this I'm so kind, but I'm feisty too, I'm so adorable, every man alive loves me face all the time....arghhhhhh and Sung Jung is in the drama and I love him, but they're going to make him fall for her, too. It's as if there's no other woman out there and these guys are so desperate. Hyun bin has tons of chemistry with Hyun bin. Just kill her off, and have Hyun bin act with himself.

@yyishere you gave me a coughing fit from laughing so hard 😂 Oy, that upper lip drives me INsane as well! And about all you ever see from the "circus" is a boa or two 🤦🏻‍♀️ It drive me mad. Have you seen the part yet where HB sort of zip lines (with her?) only it's so fake that it looks in defiance of gravity? *shiver* The director deserves a fish slap, too. You're right, HB had all the chemi with HB. 😍

Current shows Crowned Clown, enjoying it, really pretty scenes, good cast.

Liver or Die Chaos family. Shin Dong-Mi as the long suffering wife.🏆 Love the cast ❤️

Ming Lan
Watched a movie, Seducing Mr. Perfect & Eat a Bowl of Tea

Father is Strange 1/2 way through

I wasn't a fan of Feng Shao Feng but I really love him in this series. I love his character and I love Ming Lan. They are my fave couple on tv right now.

Another K movie, How to Use Guys with Secret Tips

Children of Nobody: While the finale was somewhat anti-climatic, I was satisfied. I’m glad I watched this drama.

Liver or Die: This is basically a sped up weekend drama which is okay because I like weekend dramas (I’m “watching” three at the moment). I REALLY dislike Poong Sang, but I like the wife, maknae and surprisingly, the bratty twin.

The Crowned Clown: Still enjoying it.

My Strange Hero: The good: I’ve been waiting for the Wildflower class to fight back. The bad: I don’t care about Se-ho or his issues at all.

What three weekend dramas are you watching? I've put a few on my Watchlist but the episode lengths are fairly daunting.

Currently watching

My Strange Hero
The Crowned Clown
Memories of the Alhambra
Encounter

Completed
Children of Nobody- One of the best dramas I have watched

Still enjoying:
- The Empress Dignity: did the writer re-write Hyuk's character? I found him to be so completely different from the earlier episodes. The 'double date' in the last episode was so awkward. Still, this drama is the most entertaining one. Too bad, it's only one episode this week.
- Boyfriend: emotionally drained! Don't be a Noble Idiot.
- Red Moon, Blue Sun: Ah, it's ending now.... OMG, Kim Sun-ah deserved Daesang!
- Crown Clowed: Awwww... Hasun... <3 <3 <3

I've been wondering if the Emperor's part has been re-written because so many fans want him to be redeemed. But the writer continual changes things. I'm fine with him flip-flopping, it's more interesting.

@sailorjumun and that is why I have been putting off watching since Ep 12!

Have finished watching Children of Nobody. Great performance from all casts, amazing writing and plot. Applaud to the writer and production team. "I'm glad it's not me" is one of most touching lines to me.

Started watching SKY Castle right away and caught up to latest episode already. It is really a good one to handle with withdrawal from Children of Nobody. The comedic relief of Prof Cha and Dr. Woo’s family, hence it is not too dark and depressing. It is kind of upsetting with the way Woo Joo's parents handling to prove his innocence. It is painful to see her mom to beg with Seo Jin.

It will be real withdrawal next week.

The Crowned Clown is good too. Wish to see more Yi Heon in upcoming episodes. Yeo Jin-goo's performance is really amazing and shining.

Lost interest in Memories of the Alhambra. Still watching just to know whether the writer has improvement from her W.

@ordinaryguy92
At the moment, with 2 more episodes to go, Alhambra has turned out better than W. We hope it continues that way til the end. 😉

Still reserve my comment whether it is better than W or not until end final episode. However, k-netz comments on episode 15 (and previous episodes too) make laughing so much.

It's a Hyun Bin show and he's fantastic. Guess the ending will either be "happy" or "not so happy" for him.

Jin-goo is amazingly talented. Just the most natural actor I’ve ever seen. Nothing ever looks contrived, even when everything should be contrived. Even as a kid, the had this sincerity to him that you just can’t fake. I haven’t started Crowned Clown yet, but will once Boyfriend finishes up. He’s really one of my favorites to watch.

He is the main reason I choose to watch the drama besides Lee Se-Young, as I don't really like watching sageuk.

Children of Nobody: While some thought that the reveal of RC was anticlimactic, I liked how it went because it meant that it wasn't about finding who RC is. But about the broken children, the broken adults, the lessons that children can teach us, our guardian angels that watch over us and help us remember who and what we truely are, especially at times when we are angry, afraid, horrified and lost. Hats off to this show. You will be remembered.

It is the hectic time in my life so I am watching only two at this moment..

CLEAN WITH PASSION FOR NOW -- I'm glad they didn't stretch dr.Choi unnecessary meddling into Seon-Gyeol/Oh-sol's cohabitation for too long. Just one episode and that's more than enough!! Oh-sol's acceptance to Seon-Gyeol' confession is relieving, the kisses are beautiful. I love this week's CWPFN ended with my screen filled with pinky hearts. Love is in the air

EMPRESS DIGNITY -- still putting up with over-the-top makjang but somehow don't get the same enjoyment from this show as I used to. It starts to feel boring. I don't know what more will they pull out for the next 10hours worth of episodes

On the side, I'm binge watching 3 MEALS A DAY SEASON 4 just for Yoon Kyun Sang and his cats Mongie and Kongie. And to top that, for my daily dose of YKS, assorted scenes from REBEL, which remind me how great of a drama it was. I will for sure rewatch the whole series when I've got enough time.

Hi @molly. You may have answered a question I posed to @dorotka (#8) above concerning REBEL. I am considering starting it as my intro to the Hong Gildong story/world.

Hi @bong-soo, REBEL is one of my top ten quality dramas. By quality I mean not only the story, the screenplay, cast, directing, OST, cast, simply the whole production.

Certainly worth watching if you are into period drama. It won many awards at its home broadcast station (including MBC Drama of the Year) also many others elsewhere. The cast was impressive, from the child actors to the adults and elders.

Be prepared for 30 hours of rollercoaster full of joys, laughs, tragedies, tricks and intrigues, politics, heroism, fluffy romance, hertbreaks, BUCKETS OF TEARS (!!), dance and sing along, clash of giants, humanity,... everything. Just like other quality dramas, it lingers looong after the series ends. I think it leaves a permanent dent in my brain, in a good way.

Thanks for your response and recommendation. I have become a fan of Sageuk dramas. On the side I have watched 22 of 50 episodes of JEONG DO JEON (2014) which is the longest episodic drama I have attempted.
I am enjoying THE CROWNED CLOWN and 2019 is shaping up to be a very good year for historical dramas.