Open Thread #589

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Happy OT Beanies!

I've only one kdrama left - Sky Castle and the finale is tonight! I don't want to jinx it in any way but really, even if today's final episode is a disaster, this drama is still awesome.

I am totally hooked onto C-drama Ming Lan. It's all thanks to Memories of The Alhambra that I picked this one up. It restored my faith that there are good dramas which are female centric and I tell you, these women rock! From heroines to villains, they are so interesting. As it's a period drama, it's even harder for a girl to be kickass. Don't expect gender equality or feminism but it just makes these women all the more inspiring.

"...even if today's final episode is a disaster, this drama is still awesome." Wow, that statement really impressed me because I am thinking really hard about a K-drama that ended poorly and yet I still loved it. I have not started Sky Castle but it is on my list. Well, I guess there is controversy about the way Sorry, I Love You ended, but for me, it wasn't a disaster in the same way as a bad, rip-off ending. I fully accepted the ending of Sorry. (Now my brain is racing to think of other drama endings that didn't ruin the whole experience >>>runs to drama list to start checking<<<

This is not applicable to all dramas. God's Gift was one which the ending mattered and sadly it failed. I think for thrillers or mysteries, the ending becomes more important. Most of the time, dramas that end badly already started derailing at an earlier point.

Happy 1st Friday of February! I'm going to watch/ff the last episodes of Top Star Yoo Baek this weekend, and grab some snacks while I catch up with Best Chicken, but really, my mind is only thinking of The Crowned Clown.

I am currently living in that strange longing and dread for Episode 8 recaps... my own enjoyment of good dramas has been spoiled a few times by harsh criticism in recap threads. I'm considering to just read Lollypip's recap and skip beanie comments until I've seen Episode 9. I don't want to miss the fun discussion but I love the show more. Lol. I'm weird.

I'm weird too. I only read the comments and discussions if I don't absolutely love the drama to pieces.

This is interesting. My enjoyment or not of a drama doesn't really depend on others' povs. So I can enjoy it if I enjoy it, even while others criticise it. But getting into arguments can definitely ruin it - the memory & emotion associated with the show may turn sour.

There are many things that can mar my enjoyment of a drama. The nit-pickings. Complaining about the actress's clothes or voice or tears. Complaining about the actor's eye-shape or hair-style. Too much praise for a second lead. Too much criticism on deeds that are crimes/unacceptable in some other countries but not in Korea. None of these things can change my opinion about a drama or an actor/actress, but when stated too many times they catch my attention while watching, and distract me from the dialogue and the more subtle nuances. If it is an average/above average drama I can go with the flow, whether in the drama or in the comments. But I will never set myself up to suddenly noticing the lead's eyebrows in a drama I am loving unconditionally everytime the camera zooms on him only because people have been commenting on them for the past ten days. Call me weird but I prefer to avoid it and keep my favorites intact.

I am the same. My enjoyment of a drama doesn't depend on others' comments. But I enjoy reading all the comments. It is interesting to see people's different perspectives.

Same. I do learn a lot from others comments, positive or negative especially when it's constructive.
I'd read rants too because they do have a point most of the time.

Something like this, exactly. The differing opinions in fact make the drama more fun? Because of the different perspectives.

Makes sense. I've been on both sides. I dont think I've ever ranted on here but with friends on other shows and books. Then when on the loving or just liking side I think back and wonder if I took away some of their enjoyment.
Obviously different than a good discussion.

Haha! Same here!
And I go even further!

Last time I made a short list of beanies whose posts I prefer to omit, so I wouldn't read unintentionally their posts about the drama)))
It really gives a lot of pain when smbd harshly comments what you like!

I have 9 minutes to go in TCC ep 8, I know what's about to happen, and it's breaking my heart to watch someone in terrible withdrawal with paranoia and delusions. I'll be in the recaps too, but avoiding as much as possible any negative comments.

Happy to say I haven't seen a single genuinely negative comment. The episode 8 recap isn't up yet but people are mostly blown away by it and by Jingoo's performance. And also Jingoo.

Hi Everyone! I hope you are all doing well today!

To our fellow Beanies who are in the midst of the extreme, polar weather in the Midwest of the U.S., please be careful, stay safe and warm! The weather out there is just vicious! Brrrr!

The Last Empress - Cray to the left .... cray to the right ..... it's cray all over the place ..... and I love it!

What's Wrong Mr. Poong-sang (Liver or Die) - I tried giving this a chance but unfortunately I didn't find this appealing at all ..... the family is just way too chaotic. It's too bad because I do like the cast.

Romance Is A Bonus Book - Even though I've heard about her before, this is my first time watcthing actress Lee Na-young in anything. I'm looking forward to her performance here. After watching the first episode I wasn't particularly excited about the show, but episode 2 was better.

SKY Castle - Gosh, just one episode left for us to watch. I kind of don't want this to be over yet ..... it's just been so good!

That's all for now. Everyone take care and and have a great Friday!

When a drama like Sky Castle ends, I always wonder when will we get another great one like this again?

Weather wise, I am reminded of how lucky I am when I am melting in 93F heat because the US is hitting record lows and Australia hitting record highs. Vortex? It sounds like someone brought forth by a X Men.

It will take some time, but they always get there.

I said the same thing after Forest of Secrets. And now there is SKY Castle.

@larelle, @korfan, and @outofthisworld, where can I see SKY Castle? If it is anywhere near as good as Forest of Secrets (or Stranger as it was titled where I watched it), I MUST see it! Korean Herald says it's on Netflix, but it doesn't seem to be on Netflix where I live (NYC area). Maybe I could try using a Seoul VPN?

Thoughts?

Also, is it OK to discuss these things on OT, or DB in general?

Thanks for any help!

Viki is gonna pick it up soon.

@larelle79, I spelled your name wrong in my reply to your SKY Castle-Forest of Secrets post, so I'm trying again and hoping you'll find my reply w its query re where to find SKY Castle.

Thank you!

@larelle79, thank you! Will wait w bated breath till it shows up on Viki.

I share your sentiments regarading SKY Castle. Hopefully the next awesome show will be right around the corner.

The weather situation seems otherworldly, but it's certainly real. I'm not in in either so I also feel quite fortunate. I do hope more comfortable temps come sooner rather than later to the areas experiencing the arctic blast.

@larelle79 and @korfan

We will get another drama as good or better than Sky Castle. It's just the question of "when". I guess patience is a good virtue or rather, good things are worth the wait!

Here is where I think the problem lies. Sometimes the studios and networks really don't know how to read the room sometimes. They either want to get the attention of the teenager or keep the adults taste in programming on a teenage lever.

Both shows we mentioned, the cast or true adult age and veterans in the industry, the faith and promotion was low or less than and then went on to just explode because it was just damn good television. People want that. People will watch that. Don't underestimate us.

@larelle79 I can't agree more!

Can't they see that what viewers want are just excellent story and acting? Rehashing the same formulas, getting the big stars, putting idols in roles too big and drumming up the hype just don't work anymore.

Watching Liver or Die makes me very frustrated. The family is a textbook of a dysfunctional family with too much yelling. I need an anti-acid while I watch the drama. I should give up on the drama for my health.

@akikoz I can understand how you feel after watching it. I only watched two episodes and I felt as exasperated as the male lead's wife in this show!

"exasperated as the male lead's wife"- this. But I'll keep watching to see how this family overcomes their problems. I want to know if PS is going to die or not.

I cannot see any fathomable story line to generate eight miracles to give each main character a "happy ending" in Liver or Die. No one has earned a redemption; their problems are self-centered and self-induced.

I felt that way about Full House. Nothing but screaming, screaming, screaming. In fact it turned me off so much that I didn't watch anything with Rain in it for a loooong time.

"polar weather"
Just occurred to me that we have both North & South Poles. Explains a LOT!

Earth is bipolar :)

I have been enjoying the Polar Vortex as a great excuse to snuggle in and binge watch some kdramas I was behind on. :)

Hi all! Happy Friday. 😄
I was quite upset at the start of this week about various things at work - and because of all the travel and other upsetting things I've been quite distracted and unproductive, but a talk with my mum one evening cleared it all up. Suddenly the positivity and hope is back! My dear mum, you are jjang! 👍👍 ^^;

Dramas - I'm really falling behind. Where is the time? 😱

*hopes not to jinx it*
*Touch wood*

*Yoongi gives an encouraging nod*
That mental image should help. However, mums are indeed very good at this as well. Strange how one small talk or even one sentence can lift your spirit, right? ;) *here are some good vibes from me as well*

The mental image is amazing! 😄 Thank you! And yes, mums are so strange that way haha. *sends good vibes to you as well* ^^

Sending more good vibes your way @greenfields 😃

To you too!😊😊

Hope I can be a mom like your mum :)

Thank you for this!😊 Sincerely.

thank goodness or jjang mothers!

🙂🙂 definitely!

Happy weekend Beanies!

It has been a week of endings and new beginnings. My replacement contract ended yesterday, but I got such a warm, heartfelt goodbye from my colleagues that I managed to leave with good memories and a promise to visit regularly. They even gifted me with handwritten cards and chipped in for a coupon for my favorite bookstore! As soon as my friend confirms the date we are going shopping!

I also managed to check off many things off my February task list this week already. Impatience can be a good thing when you plan on procrastinating, it seems ;) I do hope it does not end there, I have been putting off movies, K-dramas and books for too long as well, but I cannot seem to pick up anything despite my impatience.

I finally finished Just Dance last weekend, and Shi-Eun’s message about happiness struck a chord. Yes, having new year resolutions for a happier 2019 and life are nice and all, but that happiness requires time to manifest itself and does not have to be big. Being able to leave a workplace with a smile is a great example. January is when we make and break our resolutions. Whether I stick to them from February onwards or not is entirely up to me now, and I am glad I came to my senses.

That being said, a quick shout-out to all Beanies who tolerated my cloudy OT posts the previous weeks and gave me much needed pep talks! I can imagine how it dampens the OT mood to see a negative post in between the usual beanie atmosphere, but you are my therapy.

Hi @turtuallysarcastic That's so true about the little things of joy. I kind of dislike my work, but each time I make it through the tasks, one task at a time, 😇 there's a sense of accomplishment. And I do leave work with a smile on my face.

Nowadays I automatically notice when I'm feeling good or happy and I say a prayer of thanks. Usually it's the little things like the car getting through the traffic, or being able to get into an elevator without being crushed. 😅 😄

Oh, were you particularly cloudy the last few weeks? With your handle, it's to be expected! 😂 But seriously, this is a safe place to roost and gloom away. And some of us may even be feeling a little comforted that we are not alone??? 😆

@growingbeautifully, you are my weekly OT joy. Thank you! *big hug*
Haha, my handle is indeed a warning in itself! :p
I do not like to be that cloudy beanie every OT, but I am rubbish at faking it and it is very liberating to express my dark side and be accepted despite that. :)

I hope you enjoy your "break" while looking for new work. I found that if I had a schedule for looking for a job (the number of hours a day or a week I would actively seek a job) I enjoyed the rest of the time more.

That is really good advice! I used to spend all my time on it and felt bad if I did take a day off, so I really should schedule that. Maybe I will finally be able to schedule K-dramas as well! ;)

@ndlessjoie Mugyuljoie, Great idea!

After starting new year live watching around 13 dramas, now I'm left with one, that I'm not even sure will not be dropped in the middle. I hope some nice crime drama to come up sooon, I need my weekly dose of murder and mayhem.

Hehe same. It feels weird not watching an OCN/crime drama. XP OCN has a lineup of dark thrillers/mysteries coming up though.

Hi Everyone and Happy OT!

To all who celebrate it, here's also wishing a 🎆 🎉 Happy and Prosperous and Healthy Lunar New Year to you!!! 🎉 🎆

I'm supposed to be 'sort of' preparing for the Lunar New Year, but I'm mainly working at different things, including 'real' work. I did go through stuff that's been piling up and did dust removal. Got itchy all over, even in the nose and decided to just wash thoroughly and chill, which was a great idea, because I caught a short show that was recommended.

It's called Wind-bell, a Viki Original and a sweet and simple show in 10 little 10 minute segments. For a change it's a show not about romance, but about re-connecting and resolution of hurt, and is full of feeling, told without frills. I rarely say this, but perhaps this show could have been a wee bit longer so that moving through the negative and positive emotions did not seem so sudden. Also there could have been more chance for other developments and re-connections, which I felt was a pity to not explore. Still it was a pleasant and undemanding watch, well worth the time. 😃

The only other show I may continue watching is Romance is a Bonus Book which title sounds a bit strange to me. What is a bonus book? A book that came as an extra and is a bonus? So romance here is supposed to be analogous to being a book?

I read other people's comments about how they disliked the female lead, that she was playing the Noona card too much with Eun Ho and taking advantage of him, ... I agree that she was poor in judgement over a few major decisions, however I wondered how come I had no ill-feelings towards Dan Yi myself.

It occurred to me that since young, my interactions in mixed groups and the relationships have also had the same quality as Dan Yi's and Eun Ho's, ie easy going, good natured ribbing and generally the girls taking advantage of the boys ... and it was (or appeared to me to be) accepted and ok. I admire the guys we used to hang out with. They put up with quite a lot while maintaining their good humour and gentlemanly attitudes. So I guess, that's why it never struck me as bad that Dan Yi was constantly getting something or more out of Eun Ho than maybe she ought. And that she should have asked openly rather than taken from him secretly.

I'd like to watch that long, familiar relationship transcend the Noona-Dongsaeng barriers, and Lee Jong Seok being in love again. And Lee Na Young, flaws and dowdy clothes and all, is lovely to watch. 😆

BTW Healer-lover Beanies, 10 February 2019 (as pointed out to me by @Bong-soo @marcusnyc20) will be the 4th Anniversary of the Healer Episode 20 thread.

What say we have a little commemoration here on the OT next week? We can just post something of what we felt/remember about that show or in particular about that last episode, whose comments count has surpassed 11,190 on 43 pages. 😂 What a fun, ride and a wild time we had!

Tagging for interest: @seabreeze @blonote @cabbageleaf @heroonthebeach @astrojoy @mmmmm @pastmidnite @chandler @sicarius @giegie0384 @hyoria @cocomo @mzmeow @sam @rigby2800 @meliyasha

I can't believe it'll be 4 years already!! What fun we had watching Healer!

The community spazzing was something to behold. And all that fun with the 'Healer Ruined Me' shenanigans and giving people therapy... it was such a hoot! 😂

Thanks @growingbeautifully for mentioning again the upcoming 4th anniversary of @javabeans’ HEALER Episode 20 (Final) recap.
I have been scanning the episode recap comment counts and noticed that the count jumped from 149 for episode 7 to 1078 for episode 8 (“the kiss”). For the next 12 recaps the comment count was never below 1000 and then just blasted off for episode 20.
Unfortunately I was not around the world of kdramas when HEALER aired live but it was my first kdrama which I watched in 2016.

That’s a good idea, GB!

Oh wow! I'm actually watching Healer for the 1st time (and loving it) so I may give that a read when I finish.

Oh I envy you! That first time watching and wondering what's going to happen next, and seeing the surprising funny bits and the touching bits and the warm romance and bromance. Ahhhh!

Wind-bell was sweet and simple, I liked it. RBB is hitting all the right notes for me so ar. Happy weekend.

Beanies, have you ever feel attracted to a much younger man in your real life? While I enjoy watching noona romances I usually find men who are older than me more attractive in RL. I rarely pay attention to boys who look young.

However I met a really cute boy few days ago. He was installing CCTV at our place (as his part-time job, he was attending an university) so he must’ve been only 22-23 years old. It never happened to me before but I did found him really handsome, charming, and cute in his youthful way. So I guess I understand our k-drama heroines now 😀😀☺️☺️

I mainly like older men. Then I got into K-pop.

LOL!

This...

It has happened to me, but only because the guy showed interest in me first. I would never have thought of him otherwise. that seems to be the norm for our noona stories doesn't it? And like them I was extremely conflicted by the age difference. So yes I too understand the noona romance thing a little better now. I NEVER thought I would be interested in a guy 11 years younger. It all came to nothing in the end though. In real life, that age gap is too great to surmount in most cases.

That’s true... I think it might’ve been triggered by his intense stare at me as well ☺️ Every time he explained something to me he stared at me and then blushed a little and I found it really cute! But it all ended with those innocent looks, I just found it cute and flattering that I made a young guy blush ☺️

I love noona romances but I've never been interested in guys much younger then me (I'm alright with a couple years younger but much more then that and they seem too immature). I have found younger guys attractive of course, but I've never been interested in them beyond that.

Important disclaimer first: King of Blaze season 2 ended up really bad. I could not believe the story-quality drop from season 1. So I withdraw my rec for the series, unfortunately.

2. Is it possible to post an instagram photo on the fan wall? I tried feeding the fan wall the URL of the post and the embed codes and a couple different things and nothing worked.

3. Can't remember if this has been announced but Soompi announced Viki was picking up SKY Castle. They put it in the footnote of an article they tweeted about last week.

I had all these dramas I've been wanting to see and just last night I see SKY Castle, Beauty Inside and Clean with Passion are all on or coming to Viki. So happy! :D

And I have King of Blaze on my watchlist but I guess I'll give it a pass!

Thank you for posting that SKY Castle is coming to Viki!

The first season was good! ... it made the second season look worse.

I just watched the series YOU on Netflix. All the characters are flawed/unlikeable, but I couldn’t stop until I was finished. It was my guilty pleasure for a week. I am looking forward to season 2.

Read the book and forget that silly open ending Americans like so much. The book does have a sequel but it wasn't really necessary.

I feel the same way. He was awful, they were all awful, but I need to see what happens next. A co-worker read both books and said it only got more bonkers as it went on.

I'm in the process of watching this. I'm up to ep 6. Penn Badgley does an excellent job of playing Joe. He is a mix of charming and horrible and it keeps you watching.

I couldn’t stop watching it either even though I can barely tolerate anyone, their personalities are like floppy raw pasta that is inedible. The only thing that kept me watching it to see what Joe would do next, his mind progress is horrifying and it really is interesting to see what someone like Joe put his love interest on a pedestal and does all kind of horrible things just to be her knight in armour type of person. It reeks so much like those guys online who complains about not being in a relationship, they goes great lengths like Joe would to attain a status as a boyfriend, that’s all it matters to those type of guys. It’s interesting to see Joe who appear like a charming person who have good social skills, you would think he would have no trouble getting dates, turns out the problem was the way he view his love interests and becomes overly too invested in being the perfect boyfriend.

Hello Beanies! Good Friday to everyone!

I'd like to know if anyone has some recommendations for melos?
I don't mind the slow pace or cliches as long as the characters are real and there is some logic to the plot. It can be a jdrama too.
Some examples of like and dislike always make recs easier so here they are
Liked - Secret, 49 Days, Moon Lovers, On the Way to the Airport, My Ahjussi (for the OTP), Valid Love (first half) , Money Flower, Go Back Couple
Disliked - Come Hug Me, Just Between Lovers, Innocent Man

Not a melo, but have you seen MISAENG? It ticks all the boxes you mention except full-blown romance (bromance yes, and touching friendship).

Yes, it was good, I dislike some of the messages it sends so it's not in my favorites but it's an above average drama, great cast, realistic story, nice ost, thanks!

I think you are the first beanie I have encountered who disliked JBL. I didn't dislike it, but didn't like it particularly either.

And to answer your question, I don't know it Scent of a Woman is considered a melo? It is my most favorite drama ever.

About JBL, I tried for the first eps, it wasn't for me, forced situations and I didn't even like the characters. Scent is one of those classics I never tried because I like the actress so much I run away when she is put in a sad story. I know it's crazy, I just like her way too much.

Everything felt forced! Exactly!

If you like Kim Sun Ah so much DO watch it, please! It is a great great great show!

Personaly, I liked JBL until the sickness part. It made me deconnected from the story, it was too much.

I am guessing you've seen Soredemo Ikite Yuku?

That's a really hard-hitting one....

Or Nagareboshi, Arifureta Kiseki, Soratobu Kouhoushitsu and Boku no ita Jikan? All sort of slow and melo-ish...

Gosh, seconding Soredemo, Ikite Yuku!

Yes! Soredemo was my first asian drama and it's the best melo ever! The others are now in my waiting list. Thanks @alua!

Hi @lixie I know we usually have a different take on shows, but I just remembered one that you might like. Have you watched 'Heard it Through the Grapevine'?

Yes, I liked it! It should have been shorter about 10 eps but it was a very good show. We do agree sometimes GB ehehehhe!

The Smile Has Left Your Eyes is considered as a melo? The acting was really great.

Yes, big melo! I liked the first half very much!

You didn't mention Mask, have you seen that one? I liked it so much I went back and watched it a second time, a rare thing for me.

Yes, Mask was too crazy for me but it was still amusing.

melos? I assume romance (with some sad part)?
Seven Day Queen, Live Up to Your Name??, Bad Papa, Familiar Wife, Misty, Should We Kiss First.

Not sure if this was a melo or not but it seems similar to Secret: Kill me heal me.
Another recommendation, for some reason it reminds me of Money flower: The last empress
Does Sky Castle count as melo? its kind of dark?

I haven't watched it but The First Half of My Life. Been intrigued by it, lol.

Haven't watched many melo dramas. My Ahjussi and JBL both of which I loved.

The best Kdrama I saw in 2018 for feeling good and enjoying a happy ending was, What's Wrong With Secretary Kim. But then I don't think I've ever watched anything that Park Min Young was in that I didn't like. Sungkyunkwan Scandal was my favorite one of her's--and that's because I loved everyone that was in the drama. Secretary Kim is a close second, when it comes to that kind of story.

I'm not watching anything at the moment – in part because I was just on internet detox (10 days Cuba, although I must say the WIFI situation continues to improve there), in part because nothing really catches my attention.

How is "Romance Is a Bonus Book"? @Lixie are you watching? Also need to check if there are more subs now for the Japanese drama (forget the name) with government's love lottery, I was quite enjoying that.

I have not found a new sub on government's love lottery. However, I heard that this drama is based on manga and wonder if you can find the manga in English( I guess that is also a very slim chance,,,sorry).

Ha, manga sounds interesting. I should just get back to studying Japanese again.... That's really the best long-term solution :-)

I love LJS and I'm also searching for a romcom so I'm trying to make myself like RIABB. I haven't gotten past the first 30 minutes but I'm confident I'll keep trying for the first 2 eps at least. Here is the thing, he is amazing, looks way too young to be in his 30's but he's already a super writer, has a big job, and he's also a college professor. I kept waiting to discover he was actually a cartoon straight from W but no, he is just all that. The girl on the other hand is a total mess and seems to have no anger and no real sense of humor. They are bffs but don't really talk about anything that matters. People said it gets better I'm choosing to believe them.

I'm not too encouraged by your observations so far! I peeked into the recap (the comments) of Ep. 1 and... it makes me wary. Hmmmm...

you are talking about kekkon? - 6 episodes subbed.
watch yuube and kareshi.

Yes that one... that's as far as I have watched... :-(

Happy Friday!!!~

Gosh, I was going to start The Crowned Clown tonight because I thought the Sky Castle finale was actually tomorrow…. But I guess it’s tonight! Ahhhhhh, I hope the finale is good and on par with the rest of the show.

Started watching ' A story to read when you first fall in love' by Kyoko Fukada. I usually do not like the actress except when she was in Kamikaze Girls but I find her good in this drama. The story line goes like this; She plays a cram school teacher whose life crumbled after she failed to get into Tokyo Uni. She is unpopular teacher without a passion but her attitude/life changed when she met a delinquent student. It is a romance drama but I particularly like when she says things bluntly honest with her life to her students.
I also marathoned 'Annatural( Unnatural)' by Satomi Ishihara. The story is about how Ishihara and her team discover truths of deaths in Unnatural Death Investigation Laboratory. No romance but it was fun to watch it. Luckily not much gruesome scenes that often come with police or death investigations.

I've always wanted to watch Unnatural but I'm worried about the twist. You know jdorama's plot twist can be really shocking, sometimes it took a while to recover from it. Having said that, please tell me is there anything that I should know before I start, I don't mind spoiler for jdorama 😄

Unnatural was probably one of the best Jdramas I've seen. Some of the eps were really touching. Highly recommended.

Was surprised by " A Story to Read When You First Fall in Love" as well since, like you, I don't usually like Kyoko Fukada's acting. It doesn't hurt that the 3 men competing are all good looking!

Happy Friday fellow Beanies! I've been watching tons of kdramas lately so I'll just give a quick overview and my rating of the drama thus far except for Mother which deserves essays be written about it.

Mother 11/10 This drama was absolutely phenomenal. I managed to watch this in 3 days. I have never cried in a drama this much before (not even Marriage Contract which I bawled in). The acting, directing, music, writing, and emotions behind this drama were all amazing. The whole drama is about mothers and their relationship with their daughters and I absolutely loved that. I am sad this drama didn't get more love and recognition as it was so powerful, beautiful and heartbreaking.

Stranger (Secret Forest) 9/10 This is very well acted and written. I usually can figure out who did what in most dramas and where the show will go, but this one kept me guessing until the end. I kept making guesses of who did it (which ended up being wrong) and flip flopping on my position of Lee Chang-Joon's motives. I still have 1 more episode to watch.

Go Back Couple 7/10 This was a cute and fun watch. After this and My Secret Terius I've fallen in love with Son Ho-Jun as an actor. This drama had a fun premise and a wonderful ending.

Encounter 7/10 This has been a cute noona romance so far. I like how the drama doesn't touch so much on his age, but on the fact she is so different from him socially. I also love the power dynamic of her being the CEO and him the employee (which you rarely see in kdramas). I just sometimes hate how he treats her like an incompetent child.

Memories of the Alhambra 8/10 This was an enjoyable watch but I didn't care for the ending. I wish it gave a more concrete ending and one that actually had Hyun Bin in it. I was also disappointed in Park Shin-Hye's character. She served almost no purpose in the drama and could have easily not been in the drama. But overall a very different but entertaining drama.

Thirty but Seventeen 7/10 Finished this. It was a cute drama and Shin Hye-Sun was adorable in this. All these various actors are rising to the top of my favorites list. Had a cute and satisfying ending.

MOTHER was my fave from last year. I'd love to see more film writers in dramaland but it's much harder to bring them from Chungmuro than film actors.

FOREST of SECRETS was my other fave from the year before.

Hopefully CROWNED CLOWN won't be forgotten like MOTHER at the year end awards.

I can't sing enough praises about Mother as it was so well done. I went through so many tissues and my eyes were puffy by the time I finished the series haha.

I am really wanting to watch Crowned Clown (I liked the movie) as I've been hearing amazing things about it, but I like to binge watch shows so I'll wait until it's completed, or almost completed, before I binge watch all of it.

Yes, MOTHER was phenomenal on so many levels. I was surprised it didn't have a lot of mentions in last year's reviews. I cried so much watching it, Oh my I cried. I think it is probably due to the fact that I'm adopted so I understand that the maternal bond is not always biological, blood is not always thicker than water, blood doesn't always signify PROTECTOR.

Mother is on my list to watch. I agree with you about Stranger (Secret Forest), I pride myself in being able to figure out who done it, but I stuck out with Stranger. Both leads in Stranger are excellent actors

I achieved another milestone in my kdrama watching career. I finished my first noona romance ever, Boyfriend/Encounter, with the help of dozens of dirty laundry. It's a win win for me. I finally added noona romance on my kdrama resume and at the same time burned some calories. Boyfriend didn't leave much impression on me except for SHK's unworldly beauty. I enjoy it while it last, but I'm sure I won't rewatch it.

Catched a terrible cold🤒 from my brother and I’ve been bedridden for three days now. (Feeling much better now tho! Thank you, chicken soup!!) 🙏
Although that won’t stop me from watching the Sky Castle finally tonight. I would have to be freakin unconscious to not watch a kdrama I’m obsessed with.
One of the symptomes I’ve had this week has been crazy headaches, so instead of watching dramas or anything with a bright screen I have been rereading The Grisha Trilogy.
Heard Netflix picked it up for a series, which sounds amazing.

Question for Netflix beanies, does anyone know of any good non-K-drama family friendly movies/series to watch? It's an ongoing struggle to find things that don't have exorbitant amounts of sex/sexual jokes, profanity, or gore. The other night we ended up just picking a movie from the kids section...

Anne with an E is a family show. I've not seen it but it's based on Anne of Green Gables which were books I read when I was young.

A Series of Unfortunate Events is another show. I watched the first season which was good but the style isn't to my taste. Kids seem to love it though.

Troll Hunters is a CG series that I found quite entertaining.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I don't have kids myself so I don't watch tons of 'family friendly' series.

Umm I wouldn’t watch Anne with an E of looking for a family show. I was excited about it since I loved the book series, but they made it much more dark...

Do you like mysteries? You could try the Agatha Christie series “Miss Marple” or “Poirot,” I watch those with my family (the newer episodes have ~sexier~ storylines but still little is seen or said compared to many of the other shows out there). Also the US tv shows Psych and Monk were relatively clean (again, mystery shows, sorry, it’s my genre).

We haven't watched a lot of mystery shows, but we'll give it a shot. I've caught an episode or 2 of Psych before and it was pretty good. I'm not familiar with the others though so I'll have to check them out!

I second Psych! I loved that show and it's very clean. Might not be as enjoyable for kids though as it's aimed for an older audience.

Thanks for the recs! I don't have kids either but during holidays and family gatherings we like to put on the tv in the background and it's hard to find something that children to grandparents can find enjoyment or at least not be offended by.

Heartland is a long running Canadian series. The first ep is sad but otherwise very much a family and family friendly drama. Lots of horses and other animals.

I like Hart of Dixie too. Not really a kids show and some sexual situations. But Ireally liked the friendships that developed.

North and South. I'm not sure young children would be interested but it's so very good.

If you look up Heartland it looks like some other shows of that type turn up, though I haven't watched them.

They have Gilmore Girls that I love.

Thanks for the suggestions! My mother went through a Hart of Dixie stage and it was a fairly easy show to sit down and watch with her. I'm pretty sure I've seen North and South mentioned on Dramabeans before so I'm intrigued to see what the hype is about it. I'll add Heartland and Gilmore Girls to the list of shows to try too.

North and South is a BBC period drama. 4 episodes. Good luck having it as background TV because the story is captivating and Richard Armitage is outofthiswordly handsome in it. ❤️ It’s set in UK during the Industrial Revolution, so it’s also educational and a bit gritty. It has nothing sexy beyond touching hands and um, the final kiss.

I don’t know if they are on Netflix, but my family used to enjoy watching old series like The Waltons, The Three Stooges or Roy Rogers/The Lone Ranger (any Westerns really).

Personally, I am a huge Horatio Hornblower series fan, but they have a few PG scenes.

I highly recommend Merlin - It's free from the things you listed, and it's just a solid show in and of itself. The friendships are lovely.

I looove Merlin and it's also ruined TV for me. I couldn't watch anything else for a long time after finishing it cause there's just nothing else like it. I had a really surreal experience where I was introduced to it while teaching in Korea, so me and my 600+ Korean students watched it for the first time together. I was always mildly stunned to walk into a classroom of teenage boys leading the rest of the room into banging on their desks and chanting "Merlin, Merlin!" I must have introduced the show to nearly 1,000 people (I also watched the first episode about 25 times in the course of 2 weeks lol) while I was there. The kids asked for links for where to watch it at home, all my co-workers started watching it with their children, even my landlord invited me over to watch it with their kids. It may not be a perfect or award-winning show, but it's basically a masterpiece of a show in my eyes!

Merlin is that good? I use IMDB rating to pick TV shows, since Merlin only got 7 in rating I didn't bother to check it. I have to watch it now 😄
Thanks!

Daaaang! That’s so cool!

I totally agree, it touched my heart in ways that many critically-acclaimed, gritty TV shows haven’t even come close to.

I’m not sure if I can properly express why I like it, and I know it has its’ flaws, but it’s so wonderful. I love that it’s fanciful and hopeful, but also rooted in real emotions, and characters that feel like our own friends. It taught valuable lessons and grappled with interesting subjects, and the morally grey characters like Uther and Morgana were portrayed in a way that left me not quite willing to hate them. (Although I do believe Morgana was done a disservice in terms of her character arc in the long run.) It’s a beautifully bittersweet coming-of-age story.

Yep, yep, yep! There are some disappointments about it, like the lack of time given to side character arcs like Gwaine and Percival, but overall my colleagues and I found it to be just delightful. I laughed, cried, squeed, and squealed the entire time. Sometimes all you want in a show is a world and set of characters to immerse yourself in and so, even without anything fancy or ground-breaking in it, it becomes a perfect show to indulge in. I really wish there more shows like it, especially since it's a rare series that can entertain and inspire love from truly all ages.

@hobakky Preach! Yes, it’s so dear to my heart for all of the reasons you listed, and the simplicity of the story merely strengthens my love for it.

@hobakky,

What a great Real Life(TM) story. ;-) As someone who has immersed herself in sageuks, it tickles me to pieces to think of all your Korean students geeking out on the Arthurian legends as told from the standpoint of young Merlin the warlock and dragonrider.

The cast was dandy, in particular Colin Morgan in the title role. Bradley James was the bee's knees as Arthur. Richard Franklin was memorable as Merlin's guardian and mentor, court physician Gaius. Tony Head (aka librarian Giles in BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER) projected a truly kingly Uther Pendragon. And I loved John Hurt's voicing of The Dragon.

I don't recall exactly, but methinks I fell down the Kdrama rabbit hole with DR. JIN around the time MERLIN's five seasons drew to a close.

*whispers*
I didn't particularly like the show Merlin.
That's why, paradoxically, I wrote buckets of Merlin fan fiction.
If that makes sense.

it's like I loved the show's setup and its characters and its potential but then it just never seemed to go where I wanted it to. So I wrote my own - and lots of it.

@leetennant
Oh.
My gosh.

I’ve read your ff before.

I’m a bit mind-boggled right now, let me sit down.

Wow @bammsie, are you serious?

@leetennant

The most serious, yes! Is there a more eloquent turn of phrase that means “shook”, because I want to use it.

When I was watching the show, the thing I was most dissatisfied with was the treatment of Morgana’s arc, so I did end up looking for FF for her. I haven’t read in a whiiile, but your fics and a brick’s I remember well.

@bammsie
Mind. Blown.

@leetennant *incoherent* 🤯

@leetennant
ChinguMode
February 6, 2019 at 8:58 PM

Thanks for the link. I just finished reading your "Memento Mori" and enjoyed it.

Truth to tell, it's been so long since I thought about MERLIN that I've forgotten a lot of it. I do recall being a bit put off by Château de Pierrefonds, the restored medieval French castle that to me looked too modern for Arthur's time. I also realized that I had conflated the Dragon in MERLIN with the one in the film DRAGONHEART that was voiced by Sean Connery. So much for my memory. Pffft.

@pakalanapikake
Wow, you read one of my fics? Awesome!

Honestly, the one thing that struck me about the show was how it was set in this kind of fictional every-past that mashed up elements from anywhere between the 900s to the modern day.

Tomatoes and high heels and a 14th century castle and a physician who adheres to the scientific method. And yet Camelot seems almost like a city state rather than a kingdom. So it never really fit into an historical time period. I kind of liked that (although there were times I found it frustrating). It meant the show could be eminently flexible.

@leetennant
ChinguMode February 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Yessiree bob, I did indeed cast my orbs upon your story. ;-)

I had a similar sense about Camelot's era in MERLIN. The castle in particular had so many disparate elements that it felt homogenized, pasteurized, and fortified with anachronistic bits into generic pseudo-antiquity. I don't recall whether there were any long barrows, standing stones, or other megalithic features sprinkled across the landscape. They would have been nice.

Gaius reminded me of Benjamin Franklin. LOL!

@bammsie,
Thanks for reminding me of Bradley James as Arthur in MERLIN. He fit the role to a T. What a great show! ;-)

Yes, indeed! That entire cast was amazingly strong, I love them so.

If you want family-friendly kdrama, the Reply series are all pretty good. I never know what exactly is on Netflix at any given time but I watched Reply 1997 on there recently. 1988 is also great. For younger kids, there's a series called Part-Time Idol that's very similar to the shows on the Disney channel.

I don't know about if it's on Netflix, don't have a tv at home, but there're lots of quality BBC mini series like Jane Eyre and so on. But I love Father Ted, it's unbelievable funny, but not for everyone, someone could feel offended. French series Returned or Spiral is very good as well.

Hi beanies,
Hope you all have a happy feb, not to spoil the fun but this year is complete disaster for me ( funny it's just been a month) , even small things depress me and if something goes wrong I just find myself crying and am kind of feeling like a completely different person. It is sad and I just can't find the reason why I feel that way.

PS.
And after a long time of silent stalking I really didn't want to post this stupid thing in DB but I can't help myself, am really sorry.

🙏 for the year to get better for you!

Hi minniepie, I'm not articulate enough to type anything motivational. I'm probably just going to reiterate that there is much pain in RL, it could be pretty cruel and ruthless. We all have it cut out for us, it is the pain of the life we live, but we have to move on, we have to soldier on. Isn't that why we watch kdramas and read books, the escapism really helps. Kdramas are my antidepressants! (Lol). I pray things get better for you dear and this year becomes your best year yet.

We’ve all been there. Don’t apologize. Sending you hugs across the vastness that is time and space. Fighting! Here’s some Day6 for you: https://youtu.be/RztNSuRp_z4

No apologies needed -- like the others said. I think I speak of all of when I say we're glad you felt you could say something <3 <3 When you are up for it, come play with us on here-- we will send you oppas and OSTs and gifs and all kinds of fluffy bits of distractions. In the meantime, hugs to you. Aja! Fighting!

This is really a giant support group masquerading as a kdrama website. So feel free to drop by whenever you need to vent or talk something out.

Hugs, I hope things will be better soon.
as Chingu mode said above feel free to drop by our fan walls and if you have some time, you can join @hotcocoagirl 's love February theme post on the fan walls. And cry with all of us.
Here is a small poem to cheer you up:

We cried too much yesterday and today as well.
We cried too much the last month as well.
We cried too much the last year as well.
But not before that,
Before that we had some dreams, before that
we had some happiness
before that we had smiles of childhood,
but even before that,
on the day we were born
our mother had her first sign of relief
that we cried and we were alive.

Love, February

Though not to overwhelm you, but here a few funny and great people who I would like to tag and hope they will cheer you up by giving you hugs and telling you it's okay! and more... They are the people who cheer me up a lot.

@kimbapnoona @bammsie @justme @greenfields @leetennant @sicarius @wishfultoki @raonah @ally-le @moana @anothernicole @khalessymd @hotcocoagirl @oppafangirl @egads @waadmay
@shindy @snarkyJellyfish

Honoured to be part of that group, @oppafangirl

The DB community is a special corner of the internet. Don't apologize for speaking your truth because seeing your words might help someone else know they aren't alone in feeling the very same way. Also Beanies are great ralliers, and will, as you've seen here, gather round to listen, offer you a shoulder, give advice, or maybe just find the perfect song to help.

yay DB surely is that place where you can seek solace, I realized it. Thank you friends for hearing me out and for making me feel better.

Feel free to vent or cry or rave or rant at any time, Minniepie. This is a safe space. I'm sorry you're going through a rough time, I hope tomorrow and the days after will be brighter for you. <3

P.S. Do you have some favorite things in nature that you like? I'll see if I can take some pics for you..

I hug you with all my heart <3

PS.
Talking makes one feel better, and I've found beanies are lovely, here, so don't be sorry and write every time you want.

Thank you all for the kind words, it really warmed my heart. To be true, I felt good after writing it all and hitting send but then I saw your all your comments and genuinely felt better. I don't exactly know what else to say rather than thanking you guys, I hope those words will carry my sincerity.

@carmen @bammsie @oppafangirl, the poem is full of soul, thank you. @leetennant @ally-le, the song is beautiful, thank you. @keiko @khally @anothernicole

TGIF! Hope beanies had good week. So were you shocked on the ending of The Crowned Clown(ep8)? (more on next post). And I can't wait to watch the finale ep. of SKY Castle tonight. I am sure we will have interviews with the casts of the show left and right, and some interviews including ones with young actors/actresses are already done. (btw The one I saw interviews with the largest number of casts was for "What's wrong with Secretary Kim")
One of early interviews was with Jo Jae-yoon (45) who played Dr Woo. In real life, he graduated Seoul Institute of the Arts majoring Theater, and made his acting debut in 2003 film "Please Teach Me English" and his first drama included H.I.T and Yi San (2007). Since then he has starred in numerous films and TV series, including The Man from Nowhere (2010), The Chaser (2012), Gu Family Book (2013), etc. In 2017 alone Jo appeared in Voice, Defendant, Save me, Mad dog, and Black, and in 2018 he did Wok of Love, Heart Surgeons, and Sky castle. Jo also appeared in the variety-reality shows including current City Police/Urban Cops and Coffee Friends. He received the acting award for "Descendants of the Sun" in Korean drama awards in 2016.

[OSEN, StarNews 2019.01.25-01.27] SKY Castle tells a story about four families- Kang, Hwang, Cha, Woo, and some of their obsessions with kids' education. Jo Jae-yoon played Dr. Woo Yang-woo, husband of Jin Jin-hee(Oh Na-ra) who was comical character. SKY Castle kicked off with 1.7% viewership but surged to the highest rated cable drama with 23.2% on Jan 26th episode(19). Here is Q&A session.

Q: Is filming done now?
Jo: I don't feel like the filming ended. I played a husband of one couple among four couples. There wasn't much screen time if you look at the drama as a whole. This drama starts with Han Seo-jin(Yeom Jung-ah) and Kang Joon-sang(Jung Jun-ho) couple and story progresses with people around them. I only met two people- Oh Na-ra who was my wife, and Jung Joon-ho hyung who played Kang Joon-sang, so I've never imagined I would receive this much love.

We have reward trip planned thanks to the show's popularity. Back in December, I didn't know about the reward trip, and actually planned a family trip leaving on 8th. Reward trip is on 10th of Feb, so regretfully I have to miss the trip. As I mostly filmed with our family in the show, I didn't get to meet other people. So I am very disappointed I can't join the reward trip. Actor Kim Byung-cheol(Prof. Cha) is very busy but he said he would go. Choi Won-young (Dr. Hwang) contacted me asking to stop by.

Q: How do you feel about the drama being so popular? SKY Castle recorded the highest ratings for cable dramas. Did you predict?
Jo: When I received the first and second script, I found it was very fun. But first ratings came out with 1% and we said "Are we ruined? We had 1%". But we thought it would be ok since there was strength in the scenario. After the first broadcast, from midnight to next...

...morning there were only talks about SKY Castle on the internet. The ratings went up to amazing numbers in ep 2. I thought it would do well.

When ratings don't come out well, people around me just say "I enjoy watching." But when drama has good ratings or movie does well, they contact me first. Not just my junior or high school friends, but even top stars who I work/worked with send me texts like "DaeBak", "It is fun". Those were the most popular texts I have received. But the question they asked more was "Who killed Hye-na(Kim Bo-ra)?". It seems I got the most messages with the SKY Castle.

Q: Are you surprised at the ratings?
Jo: Many people say not to concern about the ratings, but how can I not? Actually we(actors, staffs) had a bet on ratings (for finale). I said exactly 28.2%. It is my wish. When I read the final script, I thought it could pass the ratings I hoped. When I read the script for ep 19, I thought it would go over 25%. After reading the script of ep 20, I thought it would even go higher. It was interesting and I was curious to the end. Last script came out a little late. Writer-nim gave that much thought. I am curious about finale ratings. I hope it gets 28%, then I don't think any other project can break the record.

Q: How was the set atmosphere when it passed 22%?
Jo: It was good, but we didn't make fuss. It is like how you feel after you drink gentle coffee. I felt good all day in subtle way. Everyone smiled saying "How are you", "Glad to see you".
Q: You were perfect match with Oh Na-ra and your couple even had a nick. Is there a behind story for chemistry two of you made?
Jo: I discussed with Oh Na-ra ssi how we can avoid being mean characters. Oh Nara ssi worried a lot if our characters would be hateful. I made suggestion we could make up a name to be addressed. That was "Jjin Jjin" (how Dr.Woo called his wife) since her name was Jin Jin-hee. "Honey" or "Daring" expressions are nice too, but I thought there were many times Jin Jin-hee whined, and if there was whining trait with our family, it would look cuter. So I asked Oh Na-ra ssi and she liked it. We added subtly and naturally because it might pull negative reaction looking doing on purpose if we do too much. I was worried about response but didn't know people loved it that much.

Q: Which couple had the most ordinary family?
Jo: I think our Woo family was the most normal. Still I don't think we were that normal. I think we just wanted to be in the middle. Most of people belong to middle you know. The man who lives under his wife's thumb, The man who has son who is not a good student grade-wise. I think that is the ordinary family image, and why Woo Yang-woo and Jin Jin-hee family felt most relatable.

...Q: The private lesson was a topic in the SKY Castle- have you ever worried about this as a father who has a child?
Jo: I am still thinking about it. I discussed with other actors who have children too. We got together asking how were private lessons in Daechi-dong, Gangnam, Mokdong etc. People had no idea so we even contacted the writer-nim. She said she wrote based on real story to certain degree, even though it was not 100% real. I don't plan to force the private lesson on my son. But there are regrets that I didn't have more education. There are things I want my child to learn though- music and language.
Q: Have you thought about your child's profession?
Jo: I want him to be an idol. I even handed him microphone on his first birthday (On the first birthday, the child get to pick an item presented in front of him/her for his/her grown-up profession - adults think). I think my child is not good at study, but has ggi/talents taken after his mom (who is a show host) and dad.

Q: What is the factor for the show's success?
Jo: I think if there weren't Yeom Jung-ah noona, SKY Castle might've taken different path. When you build a beautiful tower, you have to make good steppingstone, and Jung-ah noona made it well. First, Yeom Jung-ah noona did well, and writer-nim and director-nim. I have two special people I'm particularly thankful and they are director-nim and filming director-nim. They set up the community which was one part of the process to make the project good. Our filming director-nim was the person who did Reply series. There are difficult times on the set when director-nim doesn't make quick decision and gets angry, and as trend is director-nim becoming younger, filming director-nim seem getting more power. So if he gets upset, situation can get difficult, but our filming director-nim and director-nim talked warmly looking at people in the face. As we had such horizontal structure, set was really enjoyable. In addition, the filming never passed midnight (Last Empress take note! No overworked production crew). It couldn't be better. Because such areas were so perfect that I think this drama was able to set a new milestone.

Also I wondered what else is the reason we are receiving this much love, and I think it is team work. We are very close one another. Our age were close and we chat a lot. It was even better because some portion in the story in the drama was relatable to real life. They usually say "Drama is the writer's project, Film is the director's project", but personally I think teamworks are more important. When I look back popular projects, I realize actors, directors, writers, and staff members gathered together frequently, resulted in good team work.

Q: How about your bromance with Jung Joon-ho(Kang Joon-sang)?
Jo: I met Jun-ho hyung for the first time in this show. He told me he was glad to work with a cheerful friend. And he said he knew me well, so I felt comfortable. It is not common...