Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

mary

My Healing Love: This show should’ve been called My Healing Companionship. Yes, I’m bitter! Maybe it’s the weight of 40 hours of watching this show, but I feel like I got tricked when they didn’t spend enough time from oppa-zone to Oppa-zone. We know Jin-yoo has loved Chi-yoo since forever, but it was only around a week or two of realization for her. And he acted more like a best friend than a boyfriend the whole time anyway. The final two episodes felt like they were just ticking the checkboxes for a romance recipe: [x] admitting their feelings, [x] cute date, [x] getting caught, [x] *gasp* family disapproval, [x] separation, [x] time jump, [x] missed encounters, [x] sudden change-of-heart of detractors, [x] reunion. The end. It felt flat. It’s not that the formula is bad, it’s just that they rushed through the whole list so you didn’t have time to soak in the feelings of each phase. If we got more glimpses of their attachment to each other, or scenes of them suffering and desperately trying to find each other, I would’ve jumped and screamed at the TV every time they were thiiis close to being reunited. But since it all happened offscreen, I’m just meh about the final hour. Or maybe it’s a ploy to make me want more of them and add two more shows to my watch list. Now I’m eyeing Yeon Jung-hoon’s Possessed and So Yoo-jin’s Five Kids. Another weekend show. Drama Gods, grant me time!

The Crowned Clown: I might have spent most of episodes 9 and 10 cackling wickedly at the screen. I can’t help it. I love Secretary Lee’s smug face every time he one-ups Minister Shin Chi-soo. That being said, I know Shin won’t really go down easily (which is why I also love him as a villain, but don’t tell him that). When Ha Seon wastes his time walking around moony-eyed for So-woon, I am a-feared for everyone on his side. Ha Seon may have the heart and the balls (or maybe just the ignorance of consequences) to throw away custom and just make decisions that benefit the people, but I’m under no illusion that it’s “being nice” that put him on the throne and kept him there. His enemies are willing to do much worse. I’d like him to snap out of the love bug and realize this soon, preferably in time to prevent the token sageuk sacrificial death. *holds the precious Eunuch Jo and Ho-geol close*

missvictrix

Go Back Spouses: All of my live watching this past week has been superseded by binge-watching this drama. It bears binging very well, and as much as I expected more hijinks than I’m getting, I really like the concept of the leads bringing their present maturity/wisdom back into the past. But let’s be real, I’m also here because of my giant Jang Ki-yong crush.

Romance is a Bonus Book: I’m sorry show, I’ll catch up soon!

Reach of Sincerity: I’m sorry show, I’ll catch up soon!

Tags: , , ,

Spring Turns to Spring: 9/10 One more zombie reference and I'll start calling it "Spring Turns to Kingdom". And could the zombies please eat the two stooges?

Legal High: 8/10 Two questions:
1: Little girl in red. Children of Nobody, much?
2: Does the title mean that whatever the writer was high on was legal?

Romance Is A Bonus Book: 6/10 Rom-com ZZZzz.... Is it Touch Your Heart time yet?

Touch Your Heart / Reach of Sincerity: 8.5/10 I'm afraid they're going to spoil the fluff with (*gasp*) PLOT.

Trap: 2/10 After the big twist, it was either brilliant or total bust. I vote bust. Spending so much time showing things that didn't happen was cheating. If I wanted to see things that didn't happen I'd re-watch Mystery Queen 2.

Haechi: 7/10

Big Issue: 7/10 Poor start, better later.

Crowned Clown: 5/10 for the series; 1/10 for the week. Ending was God's Gift level bad.

"PLOT" 😂

Tee hee hee, EXACTLY what I thought when I read @Lord Cobol's comment. "PLOT" lol!

This is exactly how I feel about RBB & TYH

My body is ready for PLOT

NO NO, NOT PLOT!

9/10 for your comments, my lord!

I'm a kdrama girl, but time to time I take a break and venture to other (though still mainly Asian) productions... and this week I watched first 4 episodes of Takane no Hana (Born to be a Flower) about a gifted girl Momo from a prestigious flower arrangement family. I usually need some time to get used to Japanese storytelling... and while I eventually loved all the weirdness and wackiness of Hana Kimi and Nodame... here I'm not sold (yet?) and all the stuff around Momo's family (and the competitor) looks... too strange? disturbing? perverted? (I only like the flower arrangements) ...Also, the story of the bicycle boy is so far meh... What I do like (and why I'm still watching) is Momo's new circle of friends... and (the main reason) Momo's journey... her pains and joys... and fight for freedom and love... and Ishihara Satomi's acting is definitely not bad either...

PS I'm still enjoying Legal High, Fiery Priest, Books and Pinku pinku 🙂

The bicycle bo's storyline in Takane no Hana left me with lots of questions. Was it here to show another form of finding yourself ? Like going on a journey ?

The flower arrangement family was toxic and I think the drama wanted us to feel the same as Momo. Compared to the new friends she made in a much better and healthier environnement.

Same here. Kdramas are my only source of entertainment but once in a while or when in drama slump I turn to C,J or Thai dramas. However I've just watched 2, 2 and 1 drama of each respectively. Since I am in a slump rn and nothing in dramaland is as appealing to bring me back, could you suggest a good J dorama?

Oh, there are definitely more knowledgeable Beanies than me about jdramas... and I need to be at the right mood to watch them... but from the little I watched I liked Long Vacation, Border and We Married as a Job... and also Nodame... and many years ago Buzzer Beat 😁

"Love Shuffle"... when I followed Tamaki Hiroshi from Nodame...
There are some good Panda jokes 😁

Kimura Takuya....
*sighs*

wait, i got over him... i keep forgetting.
: D

There was a period where I used to watch jdramas quite exclusively so I feel compelled to chime in!

If you like cracky, clever fun, I always, always recommend Tiger and Dragon, an old-ish one about a yakuza who ends up becoming a rakugo apprentice. (I would liken rakugo to something like old timey Japanese stand up comedy.) It's hilarious, gives you a lot of insight into the world of rakugo, and has tons of really thoughtfully written recurring jokes or visual humour that's so weird and perfect. (Actually I'd recommend most things by the screenwriter of that drama - Kudo Kankuro).

Japanese Legal High is also really excellent - again really great humour and meta gags about the genre. Komikado is played by Sakai Masato, who is a really talented actor who somehow manages to capture the perfect odiousness/hilariousness of Komikado.

For police procedural type jdramas, I quite liked Joker (also starring Sakai Masato) and Border (featuring Oguri Shun as a detective who has a bullet lodged in his brain that allows him to speak with the dead). And if you're keen on a darker police drama, Strawberry Night is a pitch perfect example imo.

If you're keen on historical drama, Nobunaga Concerto is a great time-slip one that I loved (I may have missed the movie so not too sure how the story resolves). And this is just a super random one to throw in - Tamiou (in which the prime minister and his son switch bodies) is just a very quintessential jdrama to me - well executed, funny, and also v sincere and hopeful.

I honestly don't recall any romance jdramas to recommend - apart from Nodame which was already mentioned, and the usual recs like Hana Yori Dango and HanaKimi. And also it's been a while since I watched any jdramas so all these recs are from the early 2010s (apart from tiger and dragon which is a mid-2000s classic).

Thanks! I've been watching more doramas lately but I'm still wary about it. I watched my first dorama in 1994, Tokyo Love Story, I was so mad about the ending that I didn't watch dorama again for 23 years! Because This Life is Our First brought me to We Married as A Job and then the rest is history. I've been watching maybe about 10 doramas since 2017 but I still have trauma from 1994, I won't start a drama unless I know how it ends 😄😄
Thanks for the recommendation. Honey I will still research them first before pressing the start button 😄😄

*however
Not honey. This autocorrect is really annoying.

Oguri Shun....
*sighs*

Can you help? Do you know the name of 2 jdramas? One is about a social worker, another is about a counsellor who has a controlling mother. I lost my browser bookmarks!

Is the counselor one Ashita no Yakusoku (tomorrow's promise) with Inoue Mao in it? I'm afraid I'm not too sure about the caseworker one though... hope this helps! :)

@light There is a very controlling mother in Hajimete Koi wo Shita Hi ni Yomu Hanashi, but the main character is a cram school teacher, not a counsellor.....think pink (hair)

Thanks @telomere! Yes it is Ashita! Woop! And thanks @beantown! It isn't the title I am looking for but it is a potential drama for me to watch!

Eita.....
*sighs*

@wapzy—I'm just about to finish the 2017 j-dorama Hello Harinezumi, a charming 10-episode series about a small detective agency whose motto is "to be compassionate and meddlesome."

The cases include granting a dying woman's last wish, proving a death was murder instead of suicide, a haunted house, a man looking for his long-estranged children, putting on a children's play, and searching for treasure.

The group's synergy is fantastic—they're quirky with a lot of heart. I think it's hilarious how Japanese characters passionately declare their feelings, be it love or contrition.

And the ML lead Eita is so, so appealing. He's dork, of course, but readily admits when he's wrong. He's got wonderful, messy hair he usually wears back in a ponytail but sometimes doesn't and that's nice too. *cough*

Lastly, the jazz soundtrack by Soil & "Pimp" Sessions is daebak.

I recommend The Last Cinderella for romantic comedy, Bloody Monday (seasons 1 and 2) and for suspense thriller, and Koe Koi (2016) – Voice Love - for a sweet school romance.

dele

hokuto

am your destiny

Choosing Spouse By Lottery

kahogo no kahoko

i mostly 80 percent watch jdramas but my brain just went blank

- Completed -

The Crowned Clown: Err... I didn't like Moo Young's unnessary death, the timeskip with Ha Seon's magical return, the finale wich was somehow too convenient for the Cown and the Queen. And WHY did they have to kill Moo Young ?

Trap: I need a season 2 because the final episode had an open ending with new character and potential plotlines that could expend. Even if a reported from the production team stated they're not considering one yet. It had flows and a few complex ideas which weren't greatly developped.

- Currently watching -

Band of Sisters: ep 34. Threating to marry you isn't the best way to live happily, dear Sera Park. And I actually laughed so hard when the actress who played Michelle (the sister-in-law in The Last Emperor) showed up again... back from America ! She really makes powerful entrances.

Big Issue: I still don't know what to think of the drama.

Liver or Die: I knew it ! The mother isn't someone to do something for her son ! Hwa Sang and Heung Man's relationship is still a big no for me and for the same as reason as everyone already. It must be the only thing I agree with the siblings in this show. And poor Chil Bok, this guy should get over Hwa Sang already.

Manpuku: ep 46. Fukuko really works hard to support her husband and his business. What would he do without her ? And she's even about to give birth ! It seems like Manpei will have a new idea to help people in need. Maybe he will use the money he got from his sponsor ?

Radiant: Even if he brings all the fun, when will Oppa get his act together ? I can't support the romance when the guy doesn't seem to try hard to be a better man.

Romance is a Bonus Book: It may be because it's only the beginning stage, but I feel weird to see Da Ni reciprocating Eun Ho's feelings. Is it because I like them a lot as friends ?

Spring Turns to Spring: Uhm Ji Won was a riot this week (more than usual) ! Bom having trouble to move and just going after her husband was entertaining and I was cheering for her. Bo Mi is actually the one I hve more trouble to root for. Now that she became a "rightful reporter" (she totally lost her mind LOL), I hope her ambition and passion will serve justice.

Touch Your Heart: My weekly dose of sweets ! This show reconciled me with Shim Hyung Tak (Lawyer Choi) as an actor. His character in Let's Eat left rubbed me the wrong way and I couldn't help but think about this specific character in his other projects (outside of variety shows). Lawyer Dan's expressions are totally killing me.

Lawyer Dan's expressions are totally killing me.

Actress Park Kyung Hye was made for the internet. I love her GIF-able face so much.

I kinda agree about your comment on RBB. I don't know for what reason I did find that Dan-i reciprocating EH's feelings a bit off. It feels skipped, like fast-forwarded. Dan-i that I knew of from the beginning was unsure of so many things as she has been absent from the real world for so long. She had been cheated by her husband and just landed a new job and is now temporarily living with her like-brother. She is also starting to open up to a possible mate, but then BANG, now she's falling for her long-time-little brother.

Yes, I feel it a bit weird.

reserved!

3D KANOJO - I'm surprised that this manga is getting anime in 2019. Airing right now.
movie is meh. time waste. anime is far better. 6 out of 10.
writer took this and that thing and change few thsinsg and created a movie. bad manga to live-action adaptation.

I'm much more into Japanese dramas these days. Thankfully we are getting fast fansub translations these days.
3 nen a gumi - became quite better now. Watching episode 09 today. 7 out of 10.
waiting for Mei Nagano's movie YOU SHINE IN THE MOONLIGHT NIGHT
Direct competition with Hamabe Minami's Kakegurui movie.
Both have worked with Kitamura Takumi.
You Eat My Pancreas. remember anyone.

Have to complete my Chihayafuru watch too.

ANIME - KONO OTO TOMARE starting in april.

@catocat

OOOOOH. Met Nagano - Even with the sadness in the plot.

Chihayafuru. Are you referring to the movies or the anime?

The anime I love. It sucks you in sooo deep, you can feel the heat and tension of the game.

Chihayafuru Movie 1 is amazing...but the other 2 just struggle. I think its that they remove the characters key motivations so they are little more than cardboard cutouts. I thought the card action was not real...until I saw the videos of the actual Karuta...WOAH!

Have you seen "Tomorrow I Date the Yesterday's You"?
Its the movie I think best shows the major difference between K and J storytelling.
**K sets up an interesting premise and then spends the entire story running away from (or ignoring) its central internal paradox.
** J finds the paradox and it becomes the story.

Tomorrow I Date the Yesterday's You got two thumbs up from me!

Karuta is CRAZY, right??? love it!

@csmith

This film is one that just won't leave my imagination...It's such a wild ride.

You meander along with it until it smacks you between the eyes. Then, the before the sorrow of their journeys overwhelms you - it finds a calm stoicism in nurturing what is about to come.

It's such an interesting take on love and relationships.

I was lucky and got to watch it as an inflight movie last spring. My husband usually likes Japanese movies even more than I do, so I made him watch it, too. We both thought it was the best thing we watched on our super long flight. Well acted, great production value, and a twist that punches you in the gut.

tomorrow i date the yesterday's you ... still confuses me when i try to figure out the time lines ... but your explaination is why i go to jdramas/movies becuase i know if am prmosed a concept they will deliver and then some more ( sometimes too much )

I logged on for the first time in a while to fangirl about my favs sorry lol

I've seen Tomorrow I Will Date with Yesterday's you 6 times because I basically made all of my friends watch it and then watched it with them every time. I feel like once you've seen it Fukushi Sota literally appears everywhere.

@catocat I lovedddd I Want To Eat Your Pancreas (I think I've seen the movie a good 4 times?) Would you recommend any of the other movies/drama based on that?

Also, oh my god Chihayafuru is life. I had watched the anime/caught up on the manga years ago and then 3 weeks ago I binged at 6-ish hours of movies in one go and basically cried my eyes out from nostalgia.

@minitwin

The anime is so important for non-javanese as it brings the sound of the poems to the fore.

It is my most powerful memory of Chihayafuru....It's not just the beautiful lyricism of the readings, it's that without that sound I never fully understood the intensity of Karuta.

KONO OTO TOMARE is bookmarked, thanks.

I've just finished the anime Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and I loved it very much. I could see myself in the main girl. She and Haru complemented each other perfectly.

I'm not much into anime. I like to see original source - The mangas.

you can try its live-action movie too. manga has lot more drama and marriage + kids.

Kono Oto Tomare has good slice of life and cute romance. something most of the male audience of manga accept and approve.

@csmith @spazmo drama lama
I waited for the translations of the movie. Trailers created excitement and still am waiting to watch the movie. ahh.
korean romance dramas usually are average media. lot filler and loafing around here and there. never reach my heart but J-doramas slice-of-life and romance always brightens my heart. Though i do like to criticise and bash shoujo romance.

I usually prefer Kdramas and films to Japanese, but my husband prefers the Japanese movies. He can't do the doramas. So, I watch a good amount of Japanese movies and sometimes I find one that I just love, like Tomorrow...

Legal High - time waste time pass.

Liver - i have not watched 3 episodes.

Babel - ridiculous drama. time pass.

Thye Golden Eyes - as said last week - good concept bad direction.

The Crowned Clown
Well, it was laughably ironic to see the same old tricks come out again: resolving the climax before the audience even has the chance to become immersed in it by killing all the villains so quickly and introducing some random last minute tension devise by having assassins pop up. This show had quite some interesting things to say about the road to hell being paved with good intentions, but devolved quite quickly into the standard sageuk power politics in the second half. Anyway, Yeo Jin Goo’s next drama is coming out soon and that’s what all that matters for the shallow me!

The Light in Your Eyes
I’m quite puzzled that the show chose to draw out the mystery behind the time-reversing watch and give us morsels to chew on when next week is already the penultimate week. Also, I’m not liking what the preview is showing (it appears that the two other conmen in the exhibit hall are becoming active antagonists), having already closed one eye for Joon Ha’s father since that was for character setup. Chanel’s death would have quite the effect on both leads without the unneeded drama of yet another police investigation which is going to waste more screen time like Woo Hyun.

Dramas to catch up on:
Reach of Sincerity
Spring Must Be Coming

These days I’m already happy when an ending is not annoying and pleasantly surprised when the ending is satisfying. So you can imagine my delight when this week I finished two dramas where the ending was actually very good . Yes – not one, but two really good endings and I will completely ** spoiler ** them for you If you keep reading.

First of all, I finally finished Heaven’s Garden which is a low-key 30 episode drama about a woman who’s divorcing her husband and moves with her two children to the countryside. The theme of the drama is one of redemption and second chances, so I hardened my heart against the guy who I thought she should really be with. Let’s face it: he is nice, considerate towards the female lead, behaves correctly whilst she’s still married, runs a coffee shop, reads books, cooks. In a nutshell: the kind of guy you’d want your best friend to date and the kind of guy who hardly ever gets the girl in kdrama. Add to that the fact that he was ranked 7th on the cast list, and you can probably understand where I thought this was going to go. But when they started dating and he was so cute about it, all my attempts not to ship like mad completely failed (this was ep 25 out of 30, I was doing well so far). So tickle me surprised when the ending came round and he didn’t get his heart trampled all over. Sure, it was more low-key than many viewers probably wanted but to have an ending where the female lead (who was amazing) says: ‘screw what society wants, I’m going to do what’s best for me and my kids at this moment in time’ and still have her make clear that he’s her choice, was a great and deeply satisfying.

I also finished Marriage Contract and like with Heaven’s Garden, I found it really hard to press play on the final two episodes because I knew what was coming. There was no magic solution. But the drama managed to create a wonderful final episode and ended on a really heart-warming note, with the message of how important it is to be happy every day because you don’t know how long it’s going to last. I loved this drama from its cracktastic beginning to its warm and fuzzy emotional end.

I know that the law of averages means that I’ll probably drop the next 8 dramas I watch or absolutely hate the ending. Or maybe I’m on a winning streak? Not watching anything currently airing definitely helps.

Marriage Contract drained all my tear supplies... but it was sooo good. And the surprising thing was, it was actually getting better and better with the episodes, no kdrama curse of the failing second half... 😉

Now I'm intrigued with the Heaven's Garden...

I thought we were heading into annoying conflicts towards the end, but nope - it was really good.

I should have guessed it was going to be fine when the Second female lead said: I'm off to Japan, I'm not going to waste emotions on someone I cannot have and I'm going to do my own thing.

"I'm not going to waste emotions on someone I cannot have and I'm going to do my own thing."

Are you sure it was a kdrama??? 😁😁

I know! Rational behaviour - who would have thought it was possible...

That was one of the very dignified send-off for a second female lead. I was surprised the writer chose to take that road.

Loves everything on Marriage Contract, even the ending!

I should have watched Marriage Contract instead of Pasta and/or starting Master's Sun.

Master's Sun is a decent 12 (if I remember correctly) episode drama. The last episodes do not exist in my mind.

Plus I only watched Marriage Contract because @crysta told me it was great - I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise

I remember loving Pasta until the last episode. It made me completely furious that the guy declined her dream opportunity for her and she was just like "ok! Let's make out on the street then!"

I'm so happy Cloggie loved Marriage Contract! I recommend it to you too. Definitely Uee's best role and Cloggie really said the rest on why it's so good.

I don't know if she ever found out that he sabotaged her chances of going to Italy. But then that final scene of her begging him for a chance to cook pasta after he sabotaged her and then making out on the street was just AWFUL. Awful. I never needed to see that.

Thanks for the info, it was so awful reading that, I am proud that I did not watch it.

Marriage contract was nice, I remember liking it and did I say it had a hands-in-shirt-kiss! A rare for a kdrama. (I think the only one I have seen in a Kdrama)

Marriage Contract : Uee shines

Mary... I share your disappointment... I would gladly skipp quite some of the early episodes of Chiyoo's suffering and add courtship episodes at the end...
Go for Five Kids. There the courtship is integral and so are the obstacles... plus the smiling eyes of the main lead are 😍😍

And what's up with Eun-joo getting back with that shitty lawyer?!

Exactly!!! 😤

But I did like the ex-husband story.

Yep. :) It was a bit of a surprise that he didn't end up with Jang Mi-hyang, they seemed like a perfect match. But him being dumb and sweet and nice with his burger business is still in character.

YESSSSSS, watch Five Kids! It's brilliant! 👏👏👏

I will join the chorus telling @mary to watch Five Kids. I binged that one in less than a week. It was a brutal week, but the family kept pulling me in.

I remember! I was like that with Wolgyesu too - once you're in, you can't get out!

Trap: Finished. It was one hell of a ride that left me cold. I love dark drama, but this reminded me that ultimately, I need character(s) I can root for and connect with to fully enjoy it.

Haechi: I just like everything about this drama. The complicated political maneuver, the various relationships depicted inside, the small character moments, the occasional comedic beats, even the tiny portion of romance served to us (though personally, I like the idea of Yi Geum and Jo-hong getting together so much more than the potential coupling the drama gave us atm).

Come and Hug Me: Up to eps 20. I easily fall in love with this drama. Dark and complex (with some hateful characters that reminded me of real life's ugliness), but also lovely and heartwarming. And just like the title, I want to hug everyone and wish their troubled past away.

Touch Your Heart: At the rate this drama going, I might turned into a dolphin soon. The amount of humanly unrecognizable high-pitch squealing I emitted while watching this show is nearly uncountable.

@missvictrix I approve of bingeing Go Back Spouses for your Jang Ki-young crush. 😉 Because I'm also doing the same at the moment with Come and Hug Me. I just hope that his upcoming drama Kill It is going to be as good as the promo materials promised.

@gadis Me too! I feel like it could go either way right now...

Quiik, quiiik 🐬
😊

Here are some sardines! 🐟🐟🐟

ROFLMAO! But boy, are the neighborhood dogs gonna howl from having their ears hurt. ;-)

Ditto, about TYH.
At this point, I think DB is an ocean filled with humans-turned-dolphins.

I am already happily washed ashore and basked in the sweet pinku pinku sunlight!! 💗🐬💗
*dies by overdosing 🐟-shaped macaroons*

Me too. 🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬🐬

I'm rewatching 3 Dads 1 Mum. Or more like fastforwarding through it until I see a funny or touching scene 😅. Baby Ha Sun is very cute. And she reminds me of little Minjoo in Reply 1988. I wonder if its the same child actress but older.

In essence, 3D1M is not really heavy and does not seem to have any deep message to convey to viewers. But it is fun to watch though it might be frustrating at times.

I finished Trap. Ep 7 was kinda slow for me and I don't really get Woo Hyun's motivation. It did felt like they are preparing for a 2nd season.

Also finished FF You Who Came From The Stars. Nothing much to say about it. I did start to see ring-twisting Jaekyung. And I was not dissapointed to see his evilness but I dislike his hair and makeup as the series progressed. He looked fine in ep 1. Hua3

Is it a coincidence that You From the Stars and 3Dads both have Shin Sung-rok in them..?

No. It is not a coincidence. It is fully intentional. I have a gaping hole in my kdrama heart after TLE ended and my weekly dose of cray2 coffee-loving Emperor Hyuk was no more.

Naturally...I went back to SSR's old dramas to binge watch 😅.

Have you seen Thank You? That's got SSR in it and is really good.

@cloggie I plan to watch Thank You next. I've already downloaded 1 episode. Hehe.

@Katakwasabi,
Shin Sung-rok had a very touching character arc in HYENA, if you don't mind a sometimes bawdy romp. (His character is a gentleman of the first water.) And he sings a gorgeously heartbreaking ballad that is not in the OST.

STOP @cloggie and @pakalanapikake!!
As members of Drama Addict Anonymous we are supposed to pull fellow Beanie @katakwasabi out of the oppa rabbit hole!!! 😂😂😂

BTW Katak, please keep posting those #3dads1mum GIFs. They are HILARIOUS!!!

@kimbapnoona, I always thought it was part of our job as Beanies to make other beanies watch more dramas (and preferably ones that were good)? Did I get this wrong?

“As members of Drama Addict Anonymous we are supposed to pull fellow Beanie @katakwasabi out of the oppa rabbit hole!!!”

Wow @kimbapnoona is a dirty liar and has said the exact opposite words to me before, claiming that Beanies must remember that it is their duty to encourage obsession.

See @mindy, that's what I thought she'd told me too.

@mindy, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.....
*feigns innocence with selective amnesia

Aigoo, @cloggie, so we are supposed to recommend dramas which are GOOD, huh?
#Iwhoforgotthepoetryincident

@kimbapnoona it's fine - it was good at the time and I wouldn't have wanted to miss #apadmadness for the world
#nolongerbitter

Thank you @pakalanapikake for the reccomendation. I'll put it on my list too. Ahahaha

@kimbapnoona let me stay in this rabbit hole for a while until another oppa comes and pulls me out...and the cycle repeats 🤣

*airdrops survival kit of instant coffee and ramen to @katakwasabi deep in the oppa rabbit hole

@katakwasabi “let me stay in this rabbit hole for a while until another oppa comes and pulls me out...and the cycle repeats 🤣”

Wow do you have no faith in the staying power of Shin Sung-rok??

@katakwasabi is currently watching 3 Dads 1 Mum 👶🏻
March 9, 2019 at 6:27 PM

You're most welcome. And since there are three other main characters, you might hit paydirt in your oppa search with Oh Man-seok as a tsundere closet romantic, Yun Da-hun who plays his pompous hyung and writer of trashy novels (for which he conducts extensive field research), or Kim Min-jong as nutcase Leech, who blew off his wedding in a drunken haze while encountering a runaway bride he calls Conch (who in turn is after SSR's chef character). Rated 19.

@kimbapnoona, I threw @katakwasabi a lifeline for rappelling down the rabbit hole safely. Some of us need company down here. ;-)

*waves at @cloggie*

Keep up the good work. I've been meaning to watch THANK YOU since a kind Beanie mentioned it on Open Thread about 3 years ago. One of these days when I continue my Jang Hyuk retrospective. ;-)

Thank you @kimbapnoona and @pakalanapikake for the survival kit and lifeline. 🤗

@mindy eventhough other oppas may come, SSR will stay~ ❤

Year 3 Class A: FINALLY! My investment in this show for the last nine weeks has finally finally payed off - to think such an adequate but predictable drama could have pulled off such a phenomenal penultimate episode! Can't wait for the finale~ 😲

My ID is Gangnam Beauty: I can't believe this day has come, but I was wrong about this drama. I was wrong! Rewatching it has pointed out a lot of good things I never noticed about it the first time - Gangnam Beauty IS NOT a bad drama, and I am sorry. 😔

Sky Castle: GREAT first episode! 😘

start was slow but these recent 3 episodes are quite good.
I'm also ready for the next week's episode.

what about ataru? I was surprised to see the news of Backstreet Girls getting live-action. 3 episodes are already translated.

Ugh, Backstreet Girls? Sounds like a trainwreck in the making. 😑

Great that you changed your mind about Gangnam Beauty - I thought it was a really cute show which tried hard to deal with the problems of lookism and superficiality. It shot itself a little in the foot with its product placement, but for a teen/youth-centric drama, I thought it was really well done. Im Soo Hyang was great as the lead, but too bad Cha Eun Woo as the male lead had a grand total of two expressions in the show.

Cha Eun Woo's limit of two expressions really, really turned me off to the whole drama. I didn't think the female lead had many more expressions either. I am pretty sure it will be a long time before I watch any kdrama that has either of those two in it. I have no clue why that was so irritating to me as to blind me to the qualities of the show, but it really did. Strange how little things like that can grow to be so huge.

Yeah, in retrospect, I think it tried really hard to explore issues like that - especially consider Soo-ah's ending. I like the twist on the second-lead stereotype her character embodies - normally, they're conniving, vicious and vying after the lead. That's it, that's just their whole personality. It was enormously interesting that the drama attributed her behaviour to mental illness and saw her get a healthier look on life by the end.

About Cha Eun-woo, bless him, I think he didn't actually have much of a chance to show a range here. I'd love to see him in more supporting roles so he can build up those skills.

This week I’ve finished 2 Cdramas “Love me if you dare” & “When a snail falls in love”. They were both really really good but I preferred WASFIL. I found the directing better, it felt like a movie.

Coffee Friends: I’ve just finished it 😔 Sad there’s no more. I don’t know if it’s the show or just me but I’ve found myself FF progressively more & more along its run. It was still a really good show.

TYH & RBB: @lordcobol put into words exactly how I feel about these shows.

I’m currently almost at the end of Forest of Secrets ❤️ this show is AMAZING. Watch it!

I have the first 6 eps of Forest of Secrets downloaded from Netflix just haven't pressed play yet.

Did it seem like the end of Love Me if you Dare and Snail were setting up for a second season to you?

Yes, definitely. But it’s not really an open ending in both cases. There are little things at the end that makes you think of a 2nd season like what just happened, is that?? But it’s not to the point where I feel like it’s an open ending. I’ve found that in both cases the writers tied the story together well at the end.
It’s not an ending that really requires absolutely a second season.
It doesn’t bother me that there are no 2nd season.

There were apparently talks about a 2nd season in both cases but I don’ think it will happen since it’s been so long now and nothing concrete has come out about it.

You should definitely watch FS. I’m taking my time with it since it is such a well written show I don’t wanna miss anything. There will be a 2nd season for this one.

@bcampbell1662 -

Just to be helpful, may I suggest the following WARNING.................

AVOID any spoilers for Forest of Secrets.

Snail seems it is will be second season. I have not finished Love me if you Dare. LOL It was pretty boring to me. 🙈🤣😂

I really hope there will be a second season!

I understand why some people may not like LMIYD; I think it’s a show you’re either gonna really like or think it is silly

I found the opposite to be true: Snail was boring I couldn't finish it but I loved LMIYD.

Press play! You won't regret it.

I guess you know Love Me and Snail are both novels from the same writer? You should read the online novel, wow. Much more intimate detail and the epilogues are a few years later when they have kids.

I will look them up. I tried the online novels of Boss and Me and Love O2O but they didn't work for me. Not sure if they had bad translations or just badly written.

Yes, I've tried other novels but LMIYD was the only one I liked enough to finish. Here's the link (it's called When He Comes, Close Your Eyes).

Oh I didn’t know they were from the same writer. I’ll take a look at them

I can't remember how the dramas ended, but Love Me If You Dare's web novel did end up getting a sequel that is currently being translated so that totally make sense to me

WASFIL had such a beautiful opening theme. I also liked it a lot more than love me if you dare which I did not finish as I dozed off.

I did not watch much of anything this week.

RBB: I just have such affection for these characters. I will miss it when it is over as it has been a great weekend watch.

SHINee's Back: I completely fell into Taemin and SHINee rabbit holes this week. What made me laugh was that I listened to a podcast right before watching this variety. On the podcast the hosts (Shawols) mentioned that Taemin should enlist so he is not alone for two years and have embarrassing incidents .....I'm assuming they meant like trying to dance off stage early. Then I hit play on the first ep of SHINee's back and all I keep hearing is, "Taemin dont touch" "Taemin put it back" .

The Great British Baking Show season 3: so easy to relax to an ep of this after work. It is nice to also be able to follow along while doing other things like cooking dinner.

So much of my week was filled with Taemin and Mary Berry......have to love being able to access world wide entertainment.

Once again, The Light In Your Eyes is the only live show I'm watching this week. While it remains very good, it is becoming more and more depressing. I'm getting scared that she will never be able to "turn back time" because in real life none of us can. And her quest to do so, if the show's themes stay what they are, will ultimately be fruitless.

I am still mostly concentrating on older dramas and this week watched Pasta and started Master's Sun.

And, wow, Master's sun is bad. And it's not bad in a 'Hong Sisters' way - it's just bad. It's so badly written I'm mostly just laughing at it. It's like a low-rent horror film with a bit of The Ghost Whisperer thrown in. And a bog standard Candy/chaebol romcom thrown into the mix.

It's like the word's worst stew
Like, somebody made wholesome chicken stew and another person decided what it really needed was pineapple and someone else decided what it really needed was Sichuan chilli.

I honestly don't know what to say about Pasta that wouldn't take up 3000 words, most of which were swearing. But I guess I add it to the list of awful OTPs pre-2012. What a horrible, borderline-abusive relationship. Wow. And yet Gong Hyo-jin and Lee Sun-kyun have fantastic chemistry (yowza! chemistry). You know who Gong Hyo-jin does not have chemistry with? So Ji Sub.

...but...but... Master's Sun gave us "kojo" 😁 ...and OST I still love to listen to...

Yeah but if you watch it on Netflix (as I think @ChinguMode is doing), half the OST has changed :-(

Having the dog dance to the wrong song did my head in.

Yes it's the Netflix version but I've never seen the original so I won't know what I'm missing.

I think the OST was probably why I continued watching it, especially that song Last One. And I can say the same for the Crowned Clown, I enjoyed the music the most.

@leetennant
I wish Master's Sun had kept the darkness is set up in ep01. I think it lost its motivation once it ran away from the overwhelming fear she lived with. (I actually had the same thought for Eun-Tak in Goblin)

Its not that I like horror, its that lived fear grounded those characters. They were always at the whim or larger forces. Its like every moment being forced to deal with the immensity of the the world...something we all put to the back of our minds just to get through the day.

I guess borderline-abusive relationships were a 'thing' pre-2012.

@midnight...
So past borderline...its full on abusive relationships.

Assault, gas lighting, isolation, harassment, stalking and abuse....it's like watching Stockholm syndrome in the making.

I really never understand how it's seen as 'romantic'. It's why I couldn't watch Memories of the Alhambra. That relationship was so regressive.

@midnight
I forgot to add - enslavement.

Despite my love for Gong Hyo-jin and writer Seo Sook-hyang, I couldn't get past eps 1 of Pasta. People kept saying that it's a breezy watch, but the male lead is awful (and I usually have a high tolerance for jerk male lead). Not even Lee Sun-kyun could make him bearable. And now reading your comment, I'm glad I didn't force myself to continue watching it.

The male lead was a raging misoygnist. Stupidly I kept watching even though I knew that 'misogynism' isn't a trait you have personal growth to get over. Which is on me, really.

I know exactly what you're saying about the pre-2012 abusive relationships but but but...

...I did just watch a North Korean drill instructor take out a South Korean prince with a mob in the Ladies (King2Hearts 2012) and maybe I have to change my opinion on this.

King 2 Hearts!! 😍
(The drama where Lee Seunggi showed me he can act...)

But but but... no I won't say it. I'm glad you're enjoying King2Hearts.

I enjoyed the first episode. That's all I'm saying.

I hated the first episode. Like there's no way they could just let her be badass without first outlining in excruciating detail how she's definitely super girly and just wants to get married.

They did finally let her be badass in the back half but by then I was a bit over the whole thing.

The only couple I really cared about was redacted and so I didn't like redacted.

Screw King2Hearts, I'm still mad.

I didn't mind her wanting to get married. Going into a boxing match hoping to still be pretty enough at the end of it to go on a date, made me laugh actually.

I was worried that they were going to potplant her - you know, save the kingdom through her new-found love of crochet and cooking - and I'm glad to hear she's still badass in the back half

@leetennant
"...no way they could just let her be badass without ....how she's...super girly and just wants to get married..."

This is why I love Bae Doo-Na's character in "Forest of Secrets". She just is cool.

I watched Pasta because of Gong Hyo Jin and Lee Sun Kyun, but YES omg I kept wondering why this was one of those "must watch" ones people kept telling me about, PLUS it was meta-referenced in Jealousy Incarnate - which I hated, so it really must be a kdrama type of show that I should stay away from.

I thought Master's Sun was interesting as a romcom horror - I felt it paved the way for other shows to do supernatural/ horror rom coms, like the delightful Let's Fight, Ghost!. The last couple of episodes with the fake enforced separation plus return as a rich woman was... stupid, and didn't happen in my imagination, so if you tune that part out, I thought MS was not bad.

For Gong Hyo Jin, try the 2002 drama Ruler of Your Own World

Adding Let's Fight, Ghost! to my watchlist! I've always liked Kim So-hyun and was wondering if this drama was any good. Haven't really ever seen anyone mention it.

I watched it! I liked it much more than I expected too. Kim So-hyun is great and Taecyeon surprisingly endearing.

The drama is a hidden gem! The 1st episode is slow but once you get past that its a great watch! Kim So-hyun shines in her role and makes me wish she would do action comedies more often.

Watch it @nightmoon! Like @cloggie and @Cindy say, it's such a cute little gem. Very light and non-serious; good for a non-stressful binge.

Kim So-Hyun's experience definitely upstages Taecyeon who is usually a passable actor, BUT he was very well-cast in the role, and performed surprisingly well.

It's NOT that scary on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the scariest, I'd rank it at a 2. I don't mind ghost/horror shows, but if you're the kind to get a bit scared, just watch it in the daytime :D

I actually like some supernatural elements thrown in in my dramas, so it sounds just like my cup of tea!

This is quite cute. Worth the watch if you are in the mood for something not too scary, quite light and not exactly high-end drama.

You might be the first person I ever read preferring Pasta chemistry to Master's Sun. I totally agree with you. Pasta was my gateway into Korean dramas and it was 100% due to seeing this jawdropping chemistry. I saw MS later but didn't quite see the chemistry others went completely ga-ga over.

I'm ashamed to admit the chemistry was what kept me watching - not that the writers capitalised on it in any way.

OMG, once again you speak my mind @leetennant about both Pasta and Master's Sun. I hated both those dramas.

I saw both Pasta and Master’s Sun. I thought they are both okay.

@leetennant thanks for the laugh! World's worst stew, indeed. Zero chemistry between Gong Hyo-jin and So Ji Sub, which is a crying shame. I have tried to start Master's Sun more than once and cannot get past how BAD it is! I feel validated.

It's awful. It has definite trainwreck qualities so I watched more than I should have. I wonder if Gong Hyo-jin and So Ji Sub were the problem or if it's just that the Hong Sisters are bad at characterisation and their setups are always overly stylised.

I've got to think it's the Hong sisters. I've seen Gong Hyo-Jin have chemistry with everyone and So Ji Sub has had plenty of chemistry in other things. I even watched that horrible Venus show he was in because I found him alluring...

Haha, I also watched "that horrible Venus show" because I liked him.

*wheezing with laughter at stew analogy*

I binge-skimmed The Master's Sun in January because of my current Gong Hyo-jin kick. I found the show to be a pleasant, low-stakes distraction and marveled at how the Hong Sisters later recycled some elements for Hwayugi. I find So Ji Sub to be a Korean version of Keanu Reaves. Handsome, generally wooden but appealing in the right role.

@tsutsuloo

The Korean version of Keanu Reeves!! That's a perfect comparison! I think that wooden quality is what made him so perfect in Terius, but not so great in some other things. Now, if you sprinkle in some bathtub scenes -Lookin' at you Venus- I'd probably watch anyway.