Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

CandidClown

That Psychometric Guy: I had it all planned out. I was going to wait to start watching until at least eight episodes were out, then I could slowly catch-up without waiting a full week for new episodes. My plan failed spectacularly. I couldn’t hold off any longer and started yesterday during my commute to work. I then spent 5 hours at my desk trying to hide the fact that I was binging on a drama rather than earning my paycheck. Oops. But it’s so good!!! Lee An is adorable, and his flashes of a more serious side have me hooked (well done, Park Jin-young!). Then there’s the brotherly love that would give the Matthews boys a run for their money, and I’m hoping-against-hope this won’t be destroyed when An-ah discovers the dark past Hyung is hiding. The best part though is this slowly unraveling mystery. The show constantly surprises me with how much they reveal in each episode, while still creating more questions. It’s like instant gratification with a caveat: Yay!…What?!…grrrr.

Kill It: Only one episode in so far, but I am intrigued. I haven’t watched a real action drama since K2 (oh the show it could have been *sigh*) and began this with the hope that it will satisfy my need for smooth roundhouses and slow-mo flips. Surprisingly though, I find myself pulled in by the mysterious backstory and this shady client with their list of victims (because there’s always a list! Seriously, it’s a rule.) Also, why does Soo-hyun have blue eyes? And can he talk to wolves? Is he a Korean Mowgli? Where are we going with this?? So many questions – Must. Find. Answers!!

mary

Currently recapping: The Light in Your Eyes

Doctor Prisoner: My poor head. The four-way chess has turned into a six-way chess. There are so many deals and counter-deals and backdoor-deals and blackmail-disguised-as-deals flying around, all of them brilliant and diabolical that I keep forgetting who I’m supposed to root for and end up clapping at the other team’s genius. Or maybe I’ve always leaned toward the chaotic and this show is giving me 6x the normal dose. Is that bad for your health? Is it hypocritical to ask that in a fandom where staying up until 5AM to watch shows is normal? I don’t know anymore. Just give me more of Doctor Prisoner.

That Psychometric Guy: I’m glad that my biggest fear of An growing wiser with age was proven wrong. (Yes, the fear of Hyung being the ultimate evil only comes second.) This show reminds me of the first and only season of Mystery Queen where I’m not particularly invested in the cases, but the characters and the reluctant Scooby Gang are so loveable that you’re excited to tune in and see what they’re up to. As long as they’re not up to burning down whole apartments and letting an innocent firefighter take the blame for 11 years. *staring beadily at Hyung*

The Banker: I was so sure I’d drop this by the end of an hour. The first episode had too much going on, failing to make me care about everyone’s stories. Luckily, the last few minutes sets up the premise of the show in an “Oooohboy, a lot of someones are gonna get in trouble!” way. So I’m back to anticipating the scrapes that our crew will get into. Which is good, because I really didn’t want to miss on the squishy, honest-banker-for-the-people version of Kim Sang-joong.

Five Kids: This is the show I grabbed for comfort after The Light in Your Eyes made me sick from too much crying. But Five Kids betrayed me by showing that teensy flashback of Tae-min loving Yeon-tae back in college. Heart. Breaaaaak. It felt incredibly sad that her first love loved her back and she didn’t see it because she had such low self-esteem. How many of us are like that? We fail to appreciate and love ourselves that we push away the people who are good for us, thinking we don’t deserve it? T__T Love yourself, please, Beanies!

missvictrix

Reach of Sincerity: I’m swiftly catching up on this drama, and each episode further confirms my suspicions that Yoo Inna is cotton candy magic here. I love her in this role so much; it’s perfect for her. And that stalker boyfriend under the bed from episodes ago still freaks me out.

Kill It: I definitely tuned in for the premiere week of this drama: Jang Ki-yong, sniper rifles, and action suspense? Okay! I know this drama was meant to be dark and daring, but honestly I spent more time giggling over it than anything. I think it’s going to be one of those dramas. Jang Ki-yong kicking butt is a joy to watch, but it’s even better watching him do compressions to save the life of a stray cat. Am I the only one that laughed for days over the mock-seriousness of this scene? I love animals, don’t get me wrong, but it was the comparison of people dying without consequence and then the total melodrama of saving this cat that really got me. This drama is so off-kilter, punctuating dark, serious scenes with things like Nana throwing pens in peoples’ mouths. I can’t wait to see what else goes down.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Kill It & Confession: Beanies, do you think these two shows are good to watch? I’m still undecided due to the mixed reviews I’m reading on their premieres.

That Psychometric Guy
Jae In’s father suicide attempt (?) just sounds like an extreme version of noble idiocy (cutting all ties with his daughter) which is also idiotic at the same time since the social stigma that she faces would still exist even after his death and it appears that he has zero connection to the crimes he is indicted for. The culprit does remind me of Come and Hug Me’s obsessive father: while we aren’t exploring the psychological darkness of Sung Mo (even with the brooding), he needs Lee An to reveal the horrors he has suffered and provide him with all the moral support to start fighting back.

Reach of Sincerity
Some credit must be given with the show’s unwavering attempts to make the flood of PPL in this finale week palatable. That being said, they all were terribly obvious and unnatural, added with the relationship scandal that I totally did not predict last week coming to the foreground made it a really uninspiring watch (the way it concluded gave me chills in all the wrong ways). For the icing of the cake, the show forgot about developing everything else except the two lawyer couple until the last minute (hello prosecutor couple, old secretary + manager pairing, young secretary): zero sincerity!

I watched Kill it and Confession and both shows are good, although I must say I prefer the latter. Maybe I like Junho more but the story is definitely better, well written, a lot of suspense. Kill it has gorgeous leads and that's all. Just my opinion....

Where are you streaming Kill It and Confession? I've been streaming k-dramas from Viki & Netflix which do not carry the 2 dramas. I don't listen to early critics and usually give dramas a few episodes to form my opinion. Yes I agree with you that both have gorgeous leads.

Started Kill it and Confession, and watched 40 mins of Kill It ep 1 before dropping it as I was just struggling to get through it. Confession is really good though, and worth watching in my opinion! Strong interesting plot with some good writing, some good suspense and mystery thrown in to boot :)

@catstreet ... I'm so glad you enjoy Confession. We're talking about it on http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/03/confession-episode-1/ in case you are interested to join in.

I think Kill It is going to be a love it or hate it thing. I'd say give it two episodes and don't feel bad if it doesn't work for you

Waikiki 2: 5.5/10 Mystery Queeen 2. Voice 2. The curse lives on? :(

Touch Your Heart / Reach of Sincerity: 8/10 Yoo In-na is a 9.5, the plot went stale and dragged down the average. I will miss it, partly because the finale was so much fun to make fun of.

The Last Kingdom season 3: 8/10 Better than season 2, not as good as season 1 or the books. (This is the BBC/Netflix show with Danes, not the Netflix Kingdom with zombies -- although both have weird-looking bloodthirsty guys rampaging all over).

Big Issue: 8.5/10 It isn't really that good, but I like it.

Legal High: 9/10 for ep 14 & 15, 6.5/10 for earlier.

Kill It: 5/10 This score is the average of a poor & confusing first ep and a much-improved 2nd, so I have more hope than you'd think from the number.

Haechi: 5/10

Psychometric Guy: 6.5/10

Confession: 6/10 Yawn. How many times can you try someone for the same crimes? How many times can they show a flashback ToD without explaining it? How patient can I be with them?

The Banker: 5/10 Bank office politics = sageuk palace politics without the swordplay. If you must do it, you must do it well. Day 1 didn't do it well. Day 2 raised the average a bit.

---

Possessed: Dropped unless/until better subs show up somewhere. Basic :)

Netflix is picking up Possesed from April 3rd onwards!

Thanks Jennie for the good news. The long shot came in (racing term). I just put POSSESSED on my Netflix (USA) “My List”
A wish. (I had this wish also for DF before its demise.)
I wish Netflix and OCN would make a deal and that Netflix would become the home for ALL of OCN’s dramas.

Somebody needs to pick up OCNs dramas so I can watch them. Netflix, Viki, YouTube, Hulu....please so I can watch with Roku and not have to sit in my uncomfortable chair but can sit on the comfy couch.

Hi @linda-palapala You've mentioned you uncomfortable chair more than once. Are you sitting on a hard stool to watch it on a computer? No chance of changing the seat?

@growingbeautifully I suppose I could go buy a comfy computer chair - is there such a thing?
Quite nice of you to be concerned...

There are ergonomic chairs, usually with well padded but firm seats and back, that you can lean back in. They are adjustable for height and even slant (more expensive). The ones I use are meant for the office since that's where many of us sit for hours working. You probably will like a chair with sufficient back support.

That being said, at home, I'm mostly sitting in an old dining room chair with lots of flat cushions for height and comfort. I like to be upright and so a non-adjustable back is fine for me.

I hope you do take care of your posture and back while you enjoy the shows!! :-)

I've had a lot of back problems... but some cheap old office chairs work fine for me. Years ago the company I work for bought fancier chairs for everyone that were supposed to be better for people's backs -- they bothered mine so I rescued my old chair after a day or two.
So don't count on chairs that are good for backs being good for your back.

Touch Your Heart made the mistake of introducting the PLOT 😉😂

Really it made the mistake of acting like it was introducing plot, and then nothing happens. I wish there was more plot but I guess it was just meant to be fluffy the whole way through.

I agree! I love the fluff, because I don't mind watching a show focusing on how two people fall in love with one another and grow from their interactions as individuals and as couple, but the the non-actualization of chaebol drama and reintroducing and mishandling (IMO) the legal case are missteps for me.

I see Junho isn't working his magic on you. Maybe Yoo In-na should do a cameo.

@mary, thank you for the "Five Kids" commentary! The heartbreak is real...

I wonder if it feels confusing @mary for you to watch An Woo-Yeon in both Five Kids and The Banker at the same time? I recently rewatched the first few episodes of Jealousy Incarnate where AWY has a small role and he definitely has been working diligently for the last few years!

Not yet! I watched Five Kids last Sunday and The Banker just this Friday. I expect the confusion will come this weekend. :D

Though there's also this key witness in a hospital accident in Psychometric who plays Namgoong Min's doctor sunbae in Doctor Prisoner. That one took me a while to untangle. XD

I think the trippiest experience for me is recently watching Han Ji-min and Lee Jung-Eun as daughter and mother in Familiar Wife where her mom in the past timeline has symptoms of dementia, then immediately watching them again as mother/daughter in The Light in Your Eyes.......except not.

Ha! You win! If the characters themselves can't even keep the relationships straight... @[email protected]

You definitely win! Also the actors for meta!

After catching up with The fiery Priest and Doctor Prisoner I added one more drama: Possessed.

Now Possessed is a drama that I did not expect to like as the OCN dramas tend to be too dark and be more of a miss to me than a hit. But thankfully Possessed had enough of humor and darkness to be interesting. The two leads embodies the characters well enough to be believable and honestly they are adorable together. I actually wanted to become their friend. And yes, the subtitles are not the best out there but for the most part I understand what is going which for me is more than enough.

Possessed is surprisingly good and heartfelt. I do understand why @PMSahjumoni dropped it (see post #31); I should've mentioned last week that I actually fast-forwarded through the horrible kidnapping. The relationship between the two leads is heartbreakingly good—those two grumpy soulmates deserve happiness and I love how their love story AND crime-fighting partnership is unfolding.

I'm thrilled that Netflix is picking up the show so that I don't have to go to dodgy sites for palatable subs. But with the show already on its 8th episode, does that mean Netflix is 4 weeks behind?

started watching psychometric guy this week and despite the cliches in storyline i'm thoroughly enjoying it especially the beautiful cinematography it really captures the tone of a thriller through the music and colour tones. Jin young is also an absolute delight who is surprisingly so good in comedy (must run in the JYP fam)

touch your heart: a cute finale that hit all my sweet notes.

Re: Jinyoung and his agency, with a goofy CEO like that... I'm not surprised. Haha

Going through a drama slump while waiting for some new on Love Alarm. Planning to pick up Dazzling but I don't know if I want to cry buckets and buckets of tears. Yes? No? Maybe? Help!

news*

Dazzling is very good and probably an easier watch since you know it's going to be sad. It has lots of boisterous humor too.

Haechi: This week eps made my head and heart hurt. So intense, and yet it was clearly just the beginning of a dreadful storm.

Kill It: Apparently, I need to adjust my expectation for this show. I thought it would be a dark and deep drama, but it actually much shallower and it allowed me to not take it too seriously. It's slick and fun, with cool action scenes, good chemistry, and over-the-top dramatic backstories for all its characters. So far so good.

Touch Your Heart: Finished. I'm sooo happy that the finale week gave us back all the cute and fun fluff we love. Those characters are all good people who deserved their respective happy beginning.

Haechi is my go-to drama for the week. The story flows in the most unpredictable manner. The saeguk feels are real.

The world between us 8 / 10

rest later

The World Between Us - 8.5/10 2 episodes watched. HBO original. Taiwan drama. Its such a good drama. must watch.
Argon was all about Investigative journalism but this drama is all about TV media and its affects on general populace as well as neglected or ignored mental issues which results in violence affecting everyone.
Argon was quite tame compared to this show.

The Brightest Star in the sky - 3 episodes youtube subbed. Heroine might impress a lot of viewers here but i find her a bit annoying so far.

The golden Eyes - dropped. This is trash. Writer and director has made the whole show a big trash.

I'm So Pretty - meh
Destiny's love - meh
Nice to Meet You - meh

I have dropped all of these shows Except Brightest star.

Where did you watch World Between Us? I'm adding more and more Taiwanese dramas.
For me, Golden Eyes got better and better. Now at the latest episodes I'm wondering if he'll die or will be able to cure his Golden Eyes.
Nice to Meet You seems meh, but I thought I'd try for the 2nd lead that I really like. Is there a way to ff to only his scenes?

its now on sites. I downloaded it from Avistaz. So golden Eyes have started its main plot? I dropped it at 26.
@hyoria @linda Too much jumbled up family. Leads look quite but there too much nonsense build around them and that infuriates me. I also like 2nd male lead but dropped it at 5th episode so don't know how much screentime he got.

@catocat
I can't blame you. It has way too many deadbeat dads and evil stepmons one can handle. On the other hand I'm glad it's not just a love story that's 36 episodes. I'm curious about the building up to the openings scene!

I am starting World Between Us as well..

I'm on episode 5 of Nice to Meet You and I kinda like all the complicated families' secrets. It's a bit hard to wrap your head around them at times, but the show has plenty of lighthearted moments with the cute leads and the shiny juwelry.

I'm assuming Golden Eyes is more kishotenketsu (4 act play) than a western 3 act play, because it 1) introduces the characters, 2) develops the characters, 3) introduces complications: twists, new characters, etc. that may not seem like they have anything to do with acts 1 and 2. Act 4) reconciles act 3 with 1 and 2. This might be why it seems like the "plot" wasn't introduced until later in the series.

I downloaded the first two episodes of The World between us. Glad to know you're enjoying it :)

Kill it - its average and i'm expeting some cooments on heroine but overall i have not uh issue with this timepass. I think heroine is better compared to all other over the top aggressive heroines.

Confession - violence is big -ve for me. Junho looks good and i've no problems with the heroine.

Doctor Prisonor - This show is decent. What a game of 4 episodes. Hero is overly confident when he has very few things in his hands and he is depending a lot on that rich lady but so many players and characters so easily switching positions make this drama quite an interesting one.

Legal High - Trash.

Legal High - It would have been better if the show was about a guy who always loses but always gets favourable results for his clients and heroine being more greedy whereas hero being weird but quite soft in his own ways

BABEL - This one is big family Orgy. Yes

Hero - affair with Married Heroine
Heroine - married yet being involved with other guy
Heroine's Husband - Involved with his sister-in-law
Sis-on-law's husband sleeping with other women
Father - having a mistress and Heroine's Husband born
Mother - Having extra-martial affair as far as i know
Sister - loves hero who is her step brother

This one is crazy sex addict family.

@catocat—I flove your irreverent reviews. We've hate-watched/dropped some of the same shows but your notes on Tower of Babel take the cake. I bust my gut laughing when you described the lead as always sobbing and hungrily kissing the FL. I'm not watching but I love your reviews. Fighting!

@catocat,
I'm not watching BABEL, but it sounds like the drama version of HORNY FAMILY. ;-)

Lucky Romance: Ryu Joon Yeol is the truth... what an actor! the scene where he walked backwards whilst speaking with the FL gave me the flutters. Best ML falls first drama I've seen in a while. I fell in love with K dramas again and he has unseated Park Bo Gum and Park Seo Joon as my number 1 eye candy. However, I wasn't happy with the turn the story took after ep 13.

Wakiki 2: not sure yet.. there were some great moments but I really miss the old cast particularly Kim Jun Hyun. I really appreciate just how good he was in the first Wakiki.

Kill it: hmmm...not great but it could get better. What did I take away from this? Nana is not a bad actress and Jang Ki Yong is a tall drink of water.

Live - Sooooo good. Thank Goodness for netflix - I can download this and watch it on my commute.

@mary Oh I forgot to add that I love Five Kids too - Sang- Min + Yeo-tae forever!

At first I didn't understand why Five Kids fans liked Sang-min. He was so full of himself. But he's surprisingly thoughtful and sensitive. Plus how can I hate him when he's suffering in a hell of his own making? He built himself up so high that Yeon-tae refuses to believe he likes her even with a direct confession. XD

IKR! I loved the way he courted Yeon-tae. Their scenes were my favourite. Sung Hoon may not be the best actor but he knows his strengths.

He reminds me of Song Seung-heon.

Sung Hoon's portrayal of Sang-min made me have so much affection for him as an actor even though My Secret Romance almost turned into a hate watch for me. Now I want to check out Sung Hoon in his latest drama I Picked Up a Celebrity on the Street just to see his growth as an actor. For sure Shin Hye-Sun has come a long way from her role as Yeon-tae.

Five Children also has one of the most astonishing fantasy date sequences I have ever seen in family K-drama. I should have studied up on dating tips when I was in my 20's.🤣

@kimbapnoona I'm so proud of Shin Hye-sun while watching this too. ^____^

Waikiki 2 - i found 2's 1st week far better than 1's 1st week.
Someone left a baby and no one knows and then a guy keeps on running for whole day holding that baby and even smacks into a door - no food, no diapers, no crying. It felt too nonsensical and wrong for it to be fun.
Whereas 2 has lot of Toilet Humour and didn't look as violent and i genuinely laughed watching it. 1 was quite boring and illogical compare to 2

@corneliafudge,

Yay for LIVE! Glad you're enjoying it. It was one of my top dramas of 2017.

LIVE wasn't recapped on DB, but avid discussion ensued in the comments on this casting news post, starting with #20:
http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/11/noh-hee-kyungs-live-recruits-shin-dong-wook-as-loyal-policeman/. Enjoy. ;-)

Memorandum of Okitegari Kyoko (J-dorama) it's 50 first dates, sleuth edition. I don't really care about the mysteries most of the time. I like the first one and the one in episode six about the last script of kyoko's favorite novelist. I'm more invested with Yakusuke, I feel sorry for him. I really hope in the last episode there will be some closure like Drew Barrymore's 50 first dates. But it's doramas, I can't expect much.

Touch Your Heart currently watching episode 16. My poor pillow...

I love Okitegami Kyoko to bits, and Aragaki Yui was wonderful there. I loved the main couple and how the series managed to be unexpectedly sweet and romantic despite romance seeming impossible due to Kyoko's problem. Suddenly I feel like re-watching it 😊 ...anyway I'm on a drama slump without anything to watch (except for The psychometric guy which is being lovely so far).

I think I'm also in Korean drama slump hence I started watching and finish one dorama every week
Iirc, I think it was you who recommended me memorandum of okitegari kyoko. I like it, but the fact there's not much Yakusuke can do due to Kyoyo's condition really annoy me 😄

LOL, I know what you mean. Do not despair, it gives some nice closure for the romance. 😉

The Banker: I like it. I look forward to Mr Noh mission to clean up the corruption. And i look forward to him teaming up with young ones. Him and his mama boy subordinate make a fun pair. Haha

WGM S1 Shin Couple: diving into cheese for Shin Sung Rok circa 2009. Only a few eps, but not all are subbed huhu 😅

The Fiery Priest: watched half of ep1-2, but suddenly the subs dissapeared. Will do a rewatch some time later. The ratings keep climbing. So I want to see it too. Heh

Doctor Prisoner: on hold. Might pick up later.

The Fiery Priest is on Viki with 100% subs each time.

I kind of want to pick up The Fiery Priest again just to watch and know why they made Kim Nam Gil dress up as a gorgeous woman.Kagegurui season 2 is airing tomorrow, isn't it ?

- Completed -

Radiant: Thanks to the staff, the screenwriter, the cast and especially Kim Hye Ja for this beautiful work. It will stay with me for a long, long time.

Romance is a Bonus Book: It was a low-key, nice watch that I might remember later but nevertheless spent a good time watching it.

Touch Your Heart: Something rare for me happened with this drama: I liked it when it didn't try to have a serious plot which lead to Noble Idiocy for some reasons. I wished for more scenes with Lawyer Choi and Lawyer Dan, not the best friend and his (ex) girlfriend. But then, Pinku Pinku couple gave us sweet scenes. I guess, we can never be satisfied in life ?

- Currently watching -

The Banker: First of all, I like No Dae Ho's Ahjusshi jokes. The current present obviously appainted him as an auditor to shake things up. I think he will mostly stay rightful since everyone seems to be deep into dirty affairs and manipulation. Soo Ji might make us question her intentions between personal greed and doing something morally good. Her character looks interesting so far.

Big Issue: I haven't commented on Soo Hyun's team yet. I love how there are mostly women working with her. Soo Hyun's interections with the victim allowed us to know more of her backstory. Yes, she's ruthless, but it didn't happen overnight and she still has a sense of justice. Not the same kind as when she was a simple journalist but it's still there. This week's case with ther newbie actress has a good(?) timing considering what's happening in South Korea right now.

Confession: Ah... daddy issue for our young Lawyer Choi Do Hyun and confrontation with Detective Ki (love Yoo Jae Myung <3) things already look complicated. The actor playing the suspect/culprit, depending which case we're refering, is good. The change in his facial expression when he told his "secret" to the detective was shivering. Concerning the (future) team dynamic, I'm still not sure about the reporter friend but I already love Madame Jin or let me correct myself, I love her efficiency. She must certainly be linked to Attorney Choi's father.

Emily's 5 Things: ep 8. It feels like there is nothing mysterious in the message inside the bottle. It's more like a way to push the female lead to be as confident as her former self.

He is Psychometric: I'm beginning to think Hyung isn't going to turn evil by the end of the drama. Since he has a sinister aura and just simply has so much in mind, he gives off "Evil Villain" vibes. And his scenes with Ahn are cute. I like the ladies too. Concerning Ahn's training, I would've thought like Noona, having "physical" training instead of reading books looked more efficient to develop powers...

(continue)

Then again, practice and theory go together.

Kill It: I don't know why I enjoyed the premiere so much... until the deer scenes happened. Wait... what ?! Whatever. Then the replacement for the real daughter reminds me of the makjang Hide and Seek. Not sure if being reminded of a makjang is really a good sign.

Manpuku: ep 80. Now that Tachibana is out in jail and has been in a secured position for 8 years, I wonder how his encounter with the family will "wake" his inventor instincts.

Mother of Mine: I'm curious to see how Mother will deal with her eldest daughter's in-laws. Because her daughter just put all of her frustration on her when it's Mother-in-law who is shameless. Thankfully there's Father-in-law who puts her in her place and doesn't approve of her acts. Judging from the preview, he will take care of the grand-daughter. Hopefully, they will realize it's not easy and will apologize. About the 2nd eldest daughter, I like that she isn't cold to Mother like she's at work. It's a nice contrast, since successful children don't often show their love for parents in weekenders. I hope the youngest one will start to grow up and eventually write a good script or novel once she matures. Even if Mother doesn't support her (her ex boyfriend Jaebum doesn't seem to be that big of a deal tbh), having another outlook of her surroundings will help her write.

Possessed: ep 4. Thanks to @LollyPip recaps, I started this show. I like the leads flirting with each other even they both are dentying their attraction. The team is adorable too ! The evil spirit gets on my nerve si it's a good sign, right ? Something I will never understand is why do people think they can control evil spirits ou even have the upper-hand on them if they free them ? They aren't evil for nothing.

Welcome to Waikiki: Why was the action scene for the intro so well shot ? LOL Junki and Rebecca are actually the real OTP of Waikiki. They've been through a lot together ! The humor didn't click well with me in the first episode (the same thing happened in season 1), but the scenes with the guys defended their first love were the greatest ones. I like the humor, however the show shines with its characters friendships and them sticking to each other. They might be losers but losers with loyalty.

MANGO - YES YES YES

Kakegurui Season 2 starts from tomorrow. But i think we get raws from other channels which gonna air episode on 1st april. IDOL competition it is. I think this season is more of a promotion for Live-Action Movie.

Emily - wow you are watching it. Iron Ladies actress is what i'm in for but nothing much happens which is quite annoying.

The Banker - I'm expecting better.

I might watch even without subs. Just for the crazy expressions LOL Oh more live-action movies?! Please can one of them be good ?

I'm watching Emily because of the actress too. Liked her performance in Iron Ladies !

Ah you just reminded me I need to finish Kakegurui! Is the second season gonna have the same cast?

I think it does :)

Item

Spoliers

This show takes dumb to a whole new level. So many things that left me screaming and gnashing my teeth. How could you leave a little girl alone in a shack while you go to deal with the bad guy, knowing that you track record is 0 - 1000? Bad guy wins all the time, you've proven that time after time. And you leave telling the poor girl, "We'll be back soon". Are you kidding? Two more episodes. This show will go down in my drama history as the dumbest I've ever seen in a long time. I'm only suffering through it for Joo Ji Hoon.

Touch Your Heart

Spoilers

I thought the story between the single mother and the poetic ex-detective was sad, but very real. It didn't end happily for them, but then that's life. You like someone, but it doesn't mean that that someone would like you back.

That Psychometric Guy

My favourite among the dramas I'm watching. Lee An is dazzling. The brother is suspicious. Maybe he set the apartments on fire. Maybe the guy in the mask is a red herring. All the references to masks make me think he's the arsonist. And is there going to be a love line between him and the girl? He seems to like her a lot. Their scenes together sizzle with chemistry and an undertone of subtle attraction. It makes me uneasy, yet fascinated at the same time. But I'm rooting for her and Lee An. That guy radiates sunshine and goodness, I love him to bits.

Item: "takes dumb to a whole new level." Well said.

@yyishere YY,
Even my love for Joo Ji-hoon couldn't prevent me from bailing after only a couple of episodes. I'm hoping that Namgoong Min, Junho, and Jang Ki-yong have better luck with DOCTOR PRISONER, CONFESSION, and KILL IT, respectively.

I got my yesasia parcel and so this week I was mainly watching 1% of Something (the new short version with Jun So Min and Ha Suk Jin). Still love it (and some of the side characters are gold!)... and despite a low budget production it is my happy pill and I felt like re-watching the moment I finished the last episode 😆 (the BBC Pride & Prejudice syndrome 😆 )

I checked the first episode of Kill It and sadly it didn't work for me (I explained more in the first episode recap). Waikiki on the other hand... the moment the 3-second-short-term-memory assistant was introduced, I was laughing like crazy 😂 and got back the feelings of the first season... (and LollyPip recaps again!!! 😊).

From the other shows I'm current only on Psychometric, it strangely works for me... though I'm not there as much for the murders as more for the main characters, their interactions... and the humour 🙂

I really liked Something about 1% when I watched it a while back and it does lend itself to a rewatch sometime soon, I think. Hmmm...

HSJ being schooled by a kickass grade-school teacher JSM is so fun to see. The off the chart chemistry makes it an addictive watch!! I still don't understand the random idol dance scene, but who am I to deny good natured fluff and eye candy?

OST? Dramax? Idol PPL?
...but who cares indeed 😁

@kimbapnoona reading your comment about HSJ reminds me of THAT gif. Kinda glad you can't post gifs on this thread. 🤣🤣

@jenmole, I can never disassociate 1% of Anything and THAT infamous GIF. Heck, I don't know if I can unsee it every time looking at HSJ now.......but how can I fault a man for simply wanting to feel comfortable while talking on the phone with his girl? 🤣🤣🤣

Woohoo Waikiki 2 I'm not a fan of Kim Jung Hyun and found the story about Kang Suh Jin's character too much, so I'm pretty happy with the new cast and the story for now.

That Psychometric Guy I'm more interested in the story of Kang Sung Mo and Eun Ji Soo, I found their characters more interesting, I like to see them working together.

Kill It The 2 episodes were not so good. Kim Soo Hyun nearly speaks and Do Hyun Jin has this tendency to meddle with everything under the pretext that she is from the police.

Hajimete Koi wo Shita Hi ni Yomu Hanashi The last episode was a little bit flat. There was no suprise.

Otto no Chinpo ga Hairanai The english title "My Husband's Dick Won't Go In" and it's not a metaphor. Only Japaneses can do this kind of drama. But surprisingly, the couple was very cute and touching. I liked their story.

<Hit-and-Run Squad The casting was great, the story on the other hand...

"My Husband's Dick Won't Go In"... my gosh that's what you call a catching and intriguing titel XD I might check it out !

LOL

It's on Netflix in case :p

When I saw it on Netflix I had to try it just because of the title lol. I can't say I liked it - Japanese Dramas just aren't for me, apparently - but the title is catchy.

I think they were light on the issue, I mean they are ways... But for the question of the place of sex in couple, it was pretty interesting.

😱😱🤣
Just for clarification: it won't, or it can't?

Hum, I'm not sure of the difference. But when they have sex, they have to stop because when he tries to go in, it hurts her.

My Husband Won't Fit is in my Netflix cue. The more accurate translation is "My Husband's Dick Won't Go In"? Glad to hear it's well-done. I'm really warming up to Japanese dramas. They're a little weirder but I like how they're more frank about sexuality.

Japanese film and TV flips the Western dynamic. They don't like gruesome or explicitly violent TV and will include, e.g., parental warnings for this sort of thing, but they are more okay with sexual stuff.

Omg l actually scrolled past ts but your comment caught my eye and I almost choked on my dinner.

Reading DB is actually a choking hazard because Beanies be funny.

DB should come with a warning. And now I'm thinking too much about that title and really hope that lady gets treated for vaginismus...

@mango,
Holy guacamole, Batman! Talk about a literal translation. I'm just glad I wasn't drinking something when I read your comment, or I would certainly have sprayed my keyboard. This is hilarious. ;-)

Hit-and-run Squad disappoints me too. I have high expectation because of the cast (plus that Jo Jung-seok and Gong Hyo-jin reunion!) and thought it would be a thrilling, action-packed movie, but the story is meh. Sigh...

When did Chinpo got a drama? Ohho ho with the Title.

Hajimete - I'm gonna complete it with Survival Wedding

Survival Wedding was fun. The vitamins for each age category was demoralizing but the chief was hilarious!

@mary is making me want to watch another weekend drama - I loved Five Kids and Wolgyesu - but I know if I get into another one, I won't watch anything else for weeks.

Cheese in the Trap: Isn't it funny that I couldn't remember anything after episode twelve? This all feels like new territory, because when I rewatched it last year, I stopped before this point. Am I making a horrible mistake? Probably. (Still, this soundtrack soothes my soul.)

Little Forest: Rewatch! ♥

Hibiki: Dammit, I was looking forward to this, and it's just so stupid.

(To be honest, I've been watching a lot of Glee recently, and between that and studying, I've had no time for dramas.)

Glee !!! I used to watch it when I was in middle school :D Though I stopped when they graduated and the show focused even more on Rachel.

No, I never watched that far either, and I don't plan on it. I can't watch episodes after Finn's death! 😭

I can't either :/

I rewatched the first half of Cheese this week. I had forgotten how very good it was in the beginning, and you're right, the soundtrack is great.

My first kdrama OST CD. I will never get tired of it; still a fabulous listen!

I knowwwwww, it was so good at first!

@frabbycrabsis @egads
It was! It was my first live watch (I ❤loved❤ the webtoon) and I really went off the deep end.... with @3 views per episode BEFORE subs. I spend a lot of my workday with international guests- I've had to learn to read physical cues pretty well- and I thought Park Hye jin was brilliant in this role. He captured 'ambiguous' so well.

I'm only watching Five Kids and you already saw that! What are you planning to watch?

Father is Strange, maybe?

Highly recommend.

Yessssssssssss

Do it! 💪

@mary, I'm so glad you are enjoying Five Kids. The main OTP is just so nice and real in a way that we don't often see in dramaland. I wanted to be their neighbor, or coworker, and maybe enjoy a meal with them once in awhile. But not pizza. Their pizza toppings are not right.

LOL I've yet to see that *only* scene where Five Kids "went wrong".

😆 Never say no to lowering the risk of urinary tract infections!
BTW, I am not sure that I would want to be their downstair neighbor despite 5 (unrealistically) perfectly well behaving kids!!

Not necessarily neighbors in the same building (because, let's be honest, that MIL would be a bit of a nightmare), but the same neighborhood. I could have a lovely rooftop apartment next door.

LOL no. My pizza should not have medicinal benefits, especially for my urinary tract. (Is this the weirdest thing I've ever posted here? No, probably not.)

Wait-- is the abhominable pizza topping just... pineapple?

I'm Team Pineapple.

@mary, no it's not pineapple. I have become resigned (but not accepting) of the subset of humanity insisting that pineapple combined with cheese and tomato sauce is an acceptable thing to eat (it is not). I won't hold your bad pizza taste against you because I know our husband Oh Jak-doo would think I was being petty and small minded.

(Okay, truthfully I am petty and small minded. You pineapple on pizza people are wrong. There are no arguments that will convince me otherwise)

#Teampineapple

So I take it you wouldn’t be a fan of the toasted ham, cheese and pineapple sandwich then? 🤔😉

I can’t believe we can accept pineapple as Oppa’s hairstyle but not as a pizza topping. This is hypocrisy! *stomps feet*

@michelleb, oh my gosh no. Just no.

@mary, Pineapple hair is refreshingly spiky and fun, not unlike the tart zing a bite of fresh pineapple gives you. I will impale myself on the spikes of my stance on this debate because I am thoroughly unreasonable about cooked pineapple. *slams the door*

Pineapple on pizza is... good.

@mindy, I feel....strangely betrayed.

It's okay. It's all right. We can all coexist peacefully. No need to start a feud because everyone is entitled to their palates, even if they are wrong.

Ahhhh @mary, I would say that there are many things which I enjoy looking at but not necessary feel the compulsion to put them in my mouth......and this is such a case. I am with @egads on this one.

Is it cranberries? That's the only topping they mentioned out loud so far.

Then I propose a temporary truce on this pineapple debate and join you in the fight against cranberries

#Teampineapple

I think there's the misconception that Confession is a crime drama about catching psycho criminals. So far, it's not Criminal Minds but more like Law Order and Order whereas even if you have a suspect you have to nail them for it in court. Thd vibe is completely different from those 2 American shows but that's the only parallels I can come up with.

The Light in Your Eyes (finished ep.4): I feel like there are 3 waves of Beanies for every show—the premiere check-it-outers, the ones who get drawn in by first wave Beanies, and then the third wave ones like me who get curious after everyone raves about the show when it has ended.

No regrets picking this up, even if it means all my other... 8? dramas are placed on hiatus for the Nth time (does anyone else have this problem of drama infidelity?). This is a drama that knows the value of understated moments and silences.

Something I'm puzzled about, though: why could Hye-ja's dad only stare at her with sad, almost lifeless eyes whenever she talked to him or packed him lunches? I know the change is hard for them, but damn if she isn't trying her best to do what she can to stay upbeat. I guess I understand that he's wrapped up in his own pain, but it seemed so cruel that he didn't even try to smile at her.

Go Back Spouses: Just started on this with my mum! She doesn't seem too sold on how ditzy the 1999 version of the leads are, but I'm hoping she sticks out this buddy watch with me, because it seems particularly apt for someone who has been in a marriage for a long time.

The Light In Your Eyes this show won't disappoint you. Come and look for me if it does.

About Dad, you are not alone in your questions. Be patient and you'll be more than rewarded.

I really liked Go Back Spouses, hopefully you'll keep watching! I really liked the concept of both leads time travelling back in time. Their mechanism of time travel is fuzzy but it's the realization and heartfelt moments that make the show shine. Especially the mother-daughter relationship :)

I did continue, and now I'm stuck between wanting to watch more episodes and wanting to space out my watches so that it won't end so soon D': My mum was very baffled by the time travel mechanisms (especially how their memories worked), but I was happy to set the specifics aside since I was primed by Beanies to look out for the human aspects of the story instead. I'm not halfway through yet, but this drama's a real gem.

At one point you'll have an epiphany about dad's sad eyes.

The interesting thing about TLIYE is much of the early viewer confusion was *purposefully designed-in* and serves to increase the impact when all is eventually revealed. What comes across initially as sloppy writing turns into a master-class in story telling.

@outofthisworld @linda-palapala and Bob: Thanks for the heads up! I accidentally spoiled myself about the twist while scrolling through a previous What We Were Watching, but I'm still a bit confused. (I don't know the details, only the condition that was revealed.)

I shall wait patiently to see how the twist fits in with earlier episodes!

Reach of Sincerity A satisfying ending. I’ll miss CEO Yeon and uri pinku-pinku and ukulele couples, but I have to give a special shout out to Se-won. He clearly had an agenda when he moved in with Jung-rok and didn’t stop till he met his goal, all the while proving himself to be the Best Friend Ever. The scene where he mediated between CEO Yeon and Jung-rok was so much fun to watch. I’ve always liked Lee Sang-woo and his role here was outstanding. Yep. A lot to like about RoS, all told.

Fiery Priest Still enjoying this a lot. Yesterday’s ending was jaw-dropping. The tables keep turning and Team Tsunami gets more impressive by the episode. LOL at the quirky nun’s approach to retrieving those runaway congregation members. That woman is so suspect.

Legal High Playing catch up. It’s been a good show but I’m ready for the finale.

I picked up The Banker and really liked the first couple of episodes. If it continues in this vein, I’m in for the long haul.

For all the RoS characters (so many lovable ones!) I definitely have the steepest affection growth arc for Se-won. I thought because of the last minute cast change the writer would not be able to give him a full personality but he turns out to be one of the best bro a somewhat emotionally stunted Jung-rok could have!!

In addition to his teasing and the mediation scene for both JR/YS earlier and JR/CEO, I also loved that he exaggerated JR's suffering to YS during his noble idiocy phase to prompt her into action. 🤣

I have watched a few episodes of DR. PRISONER. It is just too slimy. None of the main characters has a moral pulse. It seems like the plot is a race to see who can do the worst evil, wins. I will probably drop it.

I hate that I can't even watch for my bias. Sorry Hong Jong Hyun, your abs were gorgeous but I need more. Mother of Mine on hiatus.

I can't even continue Reach of Sincerity! At first, it was because I was reeling from the awesomeness of The Light In Your Eyes finale. Then I got all the warnings of noble idiocy. My interest waned and now I don't know if I'll ever go back and pick it up. Whatever happens, this show has rekindled my love for Yoo In Na, she's the cutest ever.

Zero kdramas and the culprit is this C drama - All is Well. I don't think I'll see it mentioned on DB. Most C dramas mentioned here are mainly fantasy or rom coms. One huge hurdle is lack of subtitles, I doubt there's any English subs anywhere. However, if you can find them or understand Chinese, please try this drama. It's the best family drama I've watched.

The characters are very well written. There's no clear line between who are the protagonists and who are the antagonists. As the drama unfolds, we learn more of each character. An excellent analysis and insight into the workings of a Chinese family, the relationship between parent and child, between siblings, husband and wife, in-laws etc.

This is my first Chinese family drama. Never thought I'd watch this genre although I've watched a few Korean weekend or family dramas. I usually watch C period dramas and very few rom coms. I didn't expect the production standard to be so good. The styling and camera work are impressive but of course, the most outstanding is the writing and helmed by absolutely top notch acting.

Yes, I'm also not thrilled with Mother (Pretty Daughter)... Hong Jong Hyun and Kim So Yeon are the only two I like and am interested in... will give it still a chance (as a weekender usually has a slower start)...

Hong Jong hyun was the only reason I tried. But this was so in-your-face, no subtlety at all about the tropes. The make up is awful. Tone it down a little! I haven't given up quite yet but HJH might not be able to keep me interested.

So I wasn't the only one. If you do continue, keep us posted.

I put off watching Reach of Sincerity episode 13 & 14 for a week and dreaded the worst, but it was actually not as painful as I imagined it to be (perhaps due to tempered expectation.) That is to say, I was afraid that the noble idiocy would ruin JR for me as it did for Ji-ho in BTLIOF but it didn't. In the end I appreciated the beautiful (although unnecessary) tears from LDW and YIN. I love and appreciate these 2 actors so much more after this drama.

The backstory between CEO and Jung-rok was really touching, and the ukulele couple is as cute as ever. I have not watched 16 yet, but episode 15 brings back the cute full throttle and it makes me just as happy as the first 6 weeks!!

I did the same with 13 and 14 but I actually enjoyed them because of the other characters and storylines. The NI was definitely a sore thumb in a drama that handled several other tropes well, but it wasn't a wreck for me either.

Who knew that all my pleading on the FW for the Writer to minimize the chaebol angst came to bite me!! 🤣 I rather wish that the drama dealt with the whole chaebol drama more and eliminate the whole noble idiocy plot.

Emotionally it would have been much more satisfying to see YS to fight against the psychopath (why is he so one-dimensional?) in court to take her revenge in the way she has grown so much while working in Always Law with JR by her side. But then again for my happy pill I might not want to be reminded about the 1% rich and powerful drugging women in the entertainment business in night clubs, but the victory would have been cathartic for many viewers.

You're not the only one who expected (and wanted) an extended resolution of the psychopath CEO storyline. I wonder if there was a toss-up between that and the Black Widow Spider arc, with Show opting for the latter and that unforeseen twist.

@kimbapnoona—You know stuff. When you get to the last episode of Touch Your Heart/Reach of Sincerity, can you tell me the name of the tune played at 55:31? It's the scene featuring Eun-ji and Doo-seob. The song appears elsewhere in the series but I can't remember when. It's not part of the OST. Fighting!

@tsutsuloo
The little snippet of the song is quite beautiful, isn't it? At first I was convinced that I have heard it somewhere else before, but then you pointed out that it had appeared earlier in the series. I have re-watched the earlier episodes quite a few times already especially while GIF making now I don't know why it sounds so familiar anymore!! 🤣🤣🤣

I tried to see if any Chinese fan sites have mentioned it but without luck. I will keep an ear out!!

I hope All Is Well will be subbed since I want to watch something different than rom-com/fantasy/period Cdrama. Your comment makes me want to watch it ^^

My impression of subbing is that only the popular ones get subbed. This drama has been topping the charts in Mainland China and I can see why. However, I am not sure about its appeal for international viewers.

Have you seen Like a Flowing River, @outofthisworld? It might be another non-romcom and fantasy drama you would be interested in checking out. It is definitely made with lots of love, and focused on the lives of these villagers and their families during a turbulent time of modern China. It seems like another solid production from Daylight Entertainment which made Nirvana in Fire and who can say no to Wang Kai? 😆All episodes are subbed and available on Viki.

Have you finished LaFR, @mango? What is your final verdict? Would your recommend the watch?

Are you watching LAFR @kimbapnoona? All Is Well is from the same team that worked on LAFR and Story Of Minglan? iirc. I want to check out All Is Well even if I’m not into family dramas but subs are nowhere to be found. I don’t think it will get subbed anytime soon either.

@outofthisworld Are you still watching The Legends? I regret starting this one because now I’ve run out of subbed eps to watch. Subs are too slow to come out too. :/ Drama is not that good but I love the leads. Kickass herione and MoQing is such a good char. I noticed Xu Kai’s better acting as well. And they’re so pretty!

@giegie0384 I have not yet watched a Chinese family drama so after reading @outofthisworld's review I might try it out soon! I watched the first dozen episodes of LaFR with my parents (who loved it) while I visited them during winter break, but at last it is not the kind of drama I usually gravitate toward and Ming Lan obsession took over! 😆

I think from now on I will always check out anything Daylight Entertainment produces. I love The Story of Minglan to pieces. Anyone who would like to check out a well-made period C-drama, Minglan is my solid #2 recommendation and #1 OTP.

I watched the first 4 episodes of Legends but then put it on hold. Would you recommend it, @giegie0384?

Yes, totally! Even for someone who has no prior knowledge of Chinese economy and is allergic to this theme about all countries, it's still engaging. The characters are interesting to watch and sometimes you want to slap them but there's a reason generally. I would like to add
Yang Shuo (also acted in Ode to joy 1&2 as Bao Yifan) for a good reason to watch it.

Guess I'll add LaFL back to the watchlist. Thanks for all the comments on c dramas!

@giegie0384 Re Legends, weirdly I noticed today on YouTube ep 40 is mostly subbed., but Ep 4 no subs. Good thing I know the story already. But the music is fantastic, the story is fantastic, geez I love this show.

I had already tried LAFR but put on a hiatus. This one has more chance of me picking it up again because I liked what I saw but it had a slow start. All Is Well is the type that grips you from the beginning although I find it amusing even as I write this. It's not a thriller or anything but it's so darn fascinating.

You are right about productions from Daylight Entertainment. I'll probably try all their future shows.

@giegie0384

There are actors from Minglan and NIF1 and 2 in All is Well. It's always interesting to see familiar faces in a very different role. Have you watched NIF2? There's this transgender or androgynous villain in there. He's one of the main actors in All is Well and his acting is superb.

I have dropped The Legends. I tried @linda-palapala method of FF but alas, I am quite bad at it. I am beginning to see why I've dropped many C dramas. They have so many eps and not all are totally engaging. If you aren't good at FF, it's difficult to continue.