Open Thread #600

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Happy weekend Beanies!

I am always the latest one to catch on, including illnesses. We rejoiced the mass recovery of our Beanies last OT, and you can guess who fell terribly ill Friday night ;). Fortunately I was back to my healthy self by Monday.

It is the last week of the Easter break over here, and for the first time it feels like a vacation. In the past I was job-hunting or already preparing for finals, this time I binged K-drama’s! :D Next Tuesday I start my new job, and I fear I might not be able to watch anything in a long time as a result. So I made the most of it this week:

Special Labor Inspector Jo: Up to date. I still cannot shake off the Chief Kim vibes. Sometimes I feel outraged by the unfairness portrayed, then I giggle at the ridiculous counter attacks from our good guys. I love our loan shark squad and I am in love with their CEO :P

Her Private Life: I am watching episode 4 this evening. Last week felt like a cheeky wink to fandom life, this week we glare at sasaengs and the ones who give us a bad name worldwide. That one sasaeng is going to cause unnecessary trouble and make my blood boil, I just know it! :(

Romance is a Bonus Book: 8/16, I am finally halfway! While the other K-drama episodes fly by, this one holds my attention for 15-20 minutes at the most. However, our second leads finally met and everyone finally starts interacting, so I can continue watching for now.

Congratulations on your new job!

I hope you enjoy your new job. Once you're acclimated maybe you'll have a little time to watch dramas.

Good luck for your first week of work! ^^ By the next OT I *might* have good news on my job-seeking front too. Fingers crossed.

Thank you! I'll make sure to keep mine crossed as well! Good Luck! :)

Happy Friday everyone!
Need some help, Beanies. :-)
Working my way through some buzzy hits, now available on Netflix. Which of these you recommend I watch first. I intend to get through all at some point but which is your favourite:
I Hear Your Voice
Pinocchio
My Love From Another Star
The King 2 Hearts
Misty
Angry Mom
That Winter, the Wind Blows
She Was Pretty
2 Weeks

In the order of the frequency of my rewatches:
Pinocchio
2 Weeks
I Hear Your Voice
King 2 Hearts

Won't rewatch MLFAS or SWP. Haven't watched M, AM, or TWTWB.

IHYV is my favorite of the bunch.

The writer and lead actor is the same from Pinnochio and imo it's always better to start from the least recent, so IHYV.

Rewatching and rewatching again:
I Hear Your Voice
The King 2 Hearts
My Love From Another Star
Pinocchio
So I would start with these.

My Love From Another Star and I Hear Your Voice are in my personal top5 list so I would suggest you watch those two first. The female leads are two of my most favorite characters ever. MLFAS got me over my long k-drama slump. Pinocchio, She Was Pretty, and Misty are very good also. I haven't watched the others unfortunately. Do let me know later on if these are worth watching.

My Love From another Star!

Dude. Pinocchio and I Hear Your Voice hands down, and My Love From Another Star. Much yes. ^^

Recently there have been hugely popular dramas with storylines that I found deeply problematic, and dramas that I loved that other people found boring or frustrating, like Twelve Nights for example. So I thought: why not give other (relatively) low-scoring dramas a shot. And – guess what? - they added a whole heap of these on Netflix UK! Clearly a sign that this was a great idea.

At the beginning, it seemed a doomed Cloggie Pet Project. Watching one episode of Diary of a Night Watchman made me appreciate that the CGI was really as laughably terrible as the reviewers said, and I watched opening episodes of other awful dramas – which do not have to be named and shamed.

But then I watched I Do, I Do (average score 3.3 out of 5 here). Well Beanies, I really really liked it. If you enjoy Noona romances where the strong-minded career woman sees the error of her ways under the influence of a free-spirited younger man, you should give this one a miss. But if, like me, you think that trope is annoying AF because women (of a certain age) are perfectly capable of making their own decisions about their careers, lives, and bodies - without the help of some (immature) man, thank you very much - then you should check this one out. I don’t normally care that much about corporate shenanigans, but when a company is trying to fire the pregnant capable woman, I end up deeply invested in shoe-designing competitions. I could write an essay about this drama, but this Friday Open post will have to do.

Any suggestions for what I should watch next? I’m up for generally-disliked-dramas-that-are-interesting recommendations.

Hi @cloggie fellow TWELVE NIGHTS and Ye Soo-Jung fan.
Thanks for the plug for I DO, I DO. I checked and it is available fully subbed on Viki (USA). Good luck in your excavations.
I am trying to work in a few “well received” dramas from over the years that I missed. MISAENG is next.
PS. Not withstanding TN’s Shin Hyun-soo’s addition I did not start WELCOME TO WAIKIKI 2.

I keep shamelessly plugging 12 Nights :-) I think I have to give WtW2 a miss too, however much I like Shin Hyun-soo.

There are certain types of story-lines that I really like (and others that I hate) and I've come to realise that my taste is probably not particularly mainstream. Misaeng is great but it took me a couple of episodes to get into - just to warn you.

I have come to dread dramabeans squee- and love-filled posts on dramas, because I usually end up not liking said dramas.

And to answer your question, Two Cops.

I'll check it out. It's got people in it I like, so that's always a plus!

Misaeng is great but it took me a couple of episodes to get into...

That's because the first couple of episodes were terrible. Misaeng is a great show, though.

I think a lot of k dramas are like that, and I don't really know why. Like they start out trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator in the first episodes with stupid antics, which don't really relate to the tone or events of later episodes.

@jamieopso,
You make a good point. There are often complaints about drama endings. There have been many crash landings but on the other hand there have been plenty of shaky takeoffs.
My personal opinion, of course, I can think of 4 dramas that started off shaky but became enjoyable. 3 of them had poor ratings their entire run and one had decent ratings. There 3 with poor ratings: A POEM A DAY, I AM NOT A ROBOT, and CHICAGO TYPEWRITER. The one with decent ratings: YOUR HONOR.

I am really surprised at the poor ratings of the shows you mentioned! I usually don't pay too much attention to ratings, but rely more on the consensus of Beanies here as to which shows to try.

Now I try to withhold judgment if one of those shows Beanies really like seem not very good in the first couple of episodes - I give them a chance to hit their stride.

I would have enjoyed 12 Nights much more if I'd gone in knowing it would be less typical K-drama and more indie drama, plus slowly paced. In hindsight it was very well done, just not what I was expecting.

I totally understand that. I think it's actually the reason why quite a few of the dramas that I loved are 'unliked' because people expected something completely different, based on trailers & promos

I fully agree with you when it comes to I Do, I Do. Thanks for mentioning it

generally-disliked-dramas-that-are-interesting? Should We Kiss First (because Kim Sun-ah in it)? - I think I enjoyed it but don't know about others.

I watched Should We Kiss First, and I really liked it for the first two-thirds. Then it got a bit repetitive (and odd) but I'm still glad I saw it.

The Third Charm, and Hold me tight. Many people dislike it. But I Loveeeee it, LOL. flaws and all.

I'm afraid I'll be traumatised if I watch The Third Charm... Hold Me Tight, on the other hand, sounds like the kind of thing I could well like. I'll report back once I've started watching it.

Haha... It's up to you. The Third CHarm is unusual korean drama where both the leads take unlikeable turn. But u will feel rewarded once you know the message Writers trying to convey. It's just hold a special place in my heart. Meanwhile, Hold Me Tight open up a sensitive issue about doctor dillema how to deal with patient not only a woman dilemma fighting for her illness which is common dillema, the execution is just refreshing and geniune to me. . Anyway, I have alot of show that everyone seems to hate which I liked.

I really liked Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi even though they had some questionable special effects. Same with Arang and the Magistrate. You will see sooo many familiar faces in that one.
I liked "Big" even though a lot of people didn't and I also enjoyed "Cheese in the Trap," despite not being wild about the ending.

Happy Friday Beanies! We flew 3 hours to come to this pretty place to spend the long Easter weekend. I can tell you now that this will be a great weekend because we found this awesome Korean restaurant right next to our hotel. Dinner tonight was Bibimbap with some kimchi :)

Happy Easter Beanies! (I almost wrote Bunnies :P)

It's a public holiday today and my husband wanted to go to the park. I told him it's impossible unless he can get two teenage boys out of bed on a non school day at 6 am. The weather is scorching hot. By 9 in the morning, it would hit over 85F. Instead of enjoying a stroll in the park, we would probably run back to the car and blast the aircon.

Another suggestion was to go to the airport. Nope, we aren't escaping from the heat by literally taking off but rather I meant go to the latest attraction in the country - our newest and 4th airport called Jewel. I realized it sounds weird that visiting an airport would be anyone's idea of a day out but any Singaporean would just shrugged it off. When the boys were much younger, we used to go to the airport, let them run loose in the massive place, exhaust themselves, have dinner and go home. You get to escape the heat, escape the shopping mall crowds, shop and dine. Yeah, possibly a pastime peculiar to locals.

LOL! Changi Airport the playground-cum-shopping haunt for young families ... I did that with my kids too at least once if not twice, aeons ago.

I visited Jewel before it was properly opened before the previews and again last week after the previews at night, without the kids as they are no longer little. Yeah, it was an opportunity to 'practise driving'.

It's not quite the place to let little ones run loose, but I do notice that there is going to be one of those playgrounds 'in the air' suspended between floors. It will probably open later.

What I liked about the place was that there are loads of plants and trees indoors as well as the Skytrain linking terminals right through the building. Also, the indoor waterfall's light shows were different on the 2 different show times that I stayed on to watch.

The not so easy thing to navigate though were the getting to certain floors because some pairs of escalators went both up or both down instead of a different direction each, and some skipped a floor in between. At least that ramped up the number of steps on the pedometer as we walked around and around to get to different floors!

Today we didn't go to the Jewel after all, I was afraid half of Singapore would be there.

From the pictures, the plants and trees look interesting. I'd save on the Gardens By The Bay entrance fee and do this instead.

How's your 'practice driving' coming along? Recently, I read with amusement that a British expert called for speed limits on all non-expressways here to be slowed to 30km/h. If it happens, that will be the day I give up driving.

WRT Driving practice ... We are amusing ourselves trying to hit the 1,000 KM mileage before the first servicing, although of course there's no need to actually reach it so soon. Most of my trips out only take up at the most 35 KM in 2 directions and I don't drive everyday ...

Getting used to training my left hand to NOT put on the wipers when I really wanted the indicator lights is the issue. Muscle memory keeps making me use the 'wrong' hand when I want to change lanes quickly.

My thoughts on the normal speed on non-expressways was that they should be more in the region of 55-65 KM/h.

However I looked it up and found that it is implemented in some countries and seems to be good for them.

The general findings on the lower speed limit in residential areas:

I also found this article promoting Australia's road safety. I guess the same thinking is being applied by that British expert. I'm not sure how feasible it is here though, since many of our roads are servicing both residential and business areas.

Oops! forgot to leave the other link. Here it is: https://thanksfor30.com.au/why-30kmh

I get that wiper-indicator thing too, it will take time to get used to the change.

I don't know what to make out of these road speed limits but one speed limit I wholehearted think should be enforced is that of the Personal Mobility Device. There's no use making rules when enforcement is inadequate.

I read Bunnies lol.

Happy Easter to you too!!!

Happy Bunnies!

It does sound weird to go to an airport for a day out but if your airport is Changi, not weird at all!

Hi chingu, hope you liked our airport when you were here.

I've been to some nice airports in other parts of the world but I think it's the 'greenery' of Changi that gives it a warmer feeling.

Heelllo! I've always liked Changi although I didn't get to roam the airport as much as the last time I was there. I'll be checking out that new addition when I get to visit SG next time.

I worked on Jewel :P ..

Cool! What do or did you do?

Mostly on the retailing strategy.. but yea was there from the conception of the idea -

Omg, good thing you didn't go! My mum was reading Zaobao and she showed me a photo of the crowd. There was a massive... mass of people just waiting to take the escalator!

Hello fellow countrywoman! Glad to hear we made the right decision. So the boys went to the bowling alley and I stayed home to make sheng jian bao for dinner.

The continuing churn of bad k-entertainment stories is like the worst seasickness in a Regatta of Evil. The investigations have slowly spread to the children of the upper class, non-entertainment businesses and international "investors." A few victims have come forward to release the grizzly details of the crimes committed against them. A scorecard summary of the charges and allegations so far: battery, false police reports, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, bribery, nonconsentual distribution of illicit videos, sexual assault, rape, gang rape, drugs, distribution of drugs, solicitation of prostitution, prostitution, embezzlement, tax evasion, and money laundering.

I was sickened by what I read. Although I was never much of a fangirl, this thing has changed the way I look at any celebrity these days. I'd catch myself thinking "He looks cute but you'd never know."

I can't "like" your comment, but I too am following the news every day (on Reddit's Burning Molka megathreads - up to Megathread 19 now). It is horrific and I can't look away.

Happy Easter 🐣, Beanies!
How have you been doing? It’s been around 3 months since I last posted anything. My life changed greatly 3 months ago as I went from a stay-at-home mom to a restaurant owner. I thought about opening my own restaurant for awhile but didn’t have courage to do it until last year when I came across a beautiful shop which the owner back then couldn’t keep alive anymore. It took almost a year when we finally opened and I’m happy and proud to report we’ve been doing quite well since the opening and have great feedbacks 🙂 I work 14 hours a day standing and I’m pretty much half dead but I’m content with myself right now. One of the perks working so hard is that I lost 6 kg within two months - the extra weight I couldn’t lose after having kids 🤣

Wow! I am so impressed! Is this your first foray into food business?

Congratulations! Am glad you starting this and wishing you good luck..

Congratulations on your continued success! What type of restaurant is it? Do you still cook at home?

Congratulations! Wishing you continued success.

Wow! Incredibly impressive, I wish you never-ending success.

Wow, cherry, how exciting! I'd love to hear more about your restaurant - the long hours come with the territory it seems. The very best to you in your venture!

Congratulations!

Congrats!!! Is is a Vietnamese restaurant? Also, I’m emailed you back ages ago, but it took me ages to email you too!

Congrats! How exciting having own restaurant! Best of luck!

Seeing the non cut version of Park Shin Hye and Hyin Bin playing to Jenga was pretty funny :p

More suspense than some kdramas, and fewer birth secrets.

Happy 600th OT Beanies!

This is probably the week I watched too many dramas, my eyes hurt! Finished 2 J-dorama (Miracles, Sukina Hito ga iru koto) and 1 C-drama (Suddenly Summer, I did skip around 10eps and watched the end though xD)

Hopefully this is my signal to go back to Jdramaland and push me to study Kanji. If you've got any suggestions on how to study Kanji, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Enjoy the long weekend Beanies!

I didn't even noticed it's the 600th OT!

This means the first OT started like 11 years ago? AWESOME!

OOOHH I just thought 600th was such a pretty number but damn, that's AMAZING!

600, wow, how many years does that represent? Glad to be a part of such a fun K-drama community. Shout out to girlfriday and javabeans for keeping things up and running and in good form. Plus the many contributors - we can enjoy Korean entertainment on a higher level because of all of you! ♥

My answer to how to study anything—self-made flash cards. I had Kanji flash cards too. There’s something about writing it out and then drilling it that just works for me.

Noted! Thanks Ally!

Happy weekend Beanies.
THis week was one of those weeks where by body reminded me that it was aging.
I had made some drastic positive changes this year - giving up meat, eating more vegetables etc. But still the body feels like it's falling apart some days. I only in my early forties and I dread the 60's (if I live long enough that is).
I would like to workout more, start Yoga again etc. But then, I end up in my couch and start watching kdramas.
SO beanies who workout, any tips on how to get out of this slump?

Get started! This is the hardest part. Once you start making exercise part of your routine, you will find it much easier. The endorphins are real. Even though I workout regularly, I still drag my feet on some days. However, I always feel great after a workout.

Plan a schedule and reward yourself for each milestone. It can be food, time for kdrama or anything that motivates you.

The irony is that as your body ages, exercise becomes even more important. I've been working on my legs muscles to strengthen my knees and core muscles to lessen back pain and injuries. Agility and balance are also crucial.

Most important, have fun exercising. Might be more of a chore in the beginning but you will get there!

I hate exercising as a thing but I love to walk. And podcasts have made it even better. Since I'm also trying to nuture my friendships, long walks with my best friends allows me to take care of my body and my soul.

When I turned 43, it felt like all the wheels fell off at once. I felt betrayed by a body that was once so sleek and dependable. Suddenly, I was plagued by joint pain and creaky knees. I hate taking supplements but my doctor recommended B6 and B12 which really helped with my suddenly-achey hands.

Things eventually normalized but it takes a level of vigilance that I'm still getting used to.

@outofthisworld @tsutsuloo thanks for the tips and motivation.
Actually I hit a bad phase after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years back. I used to be able to run 10K’s prior to that. Ever since it’s an on and off thing. I am good a few weeks and then I hit a slump.
I will definitely remember and focus on strength training and agility.
Now that spring is here walks with music is an option for tired days.
And checking on B6. Never heard of this. I take B12 though.

Sorry to hear that, it must be difficult for you. Hopefully, you will find it easier to work out regularly.

Follow a calendar, now some online yoga teachers offers monthly calendars or programmes you can follow, that way you have a yoga session planned everyday.

Checking for some classes nearby. I seem to slack when I start yoga at home.

That's the best option, I keep forgetting about it, because at my place there is only one yoga place and what they offer doesn't mesh with me (very New Agey in a cultish way).

I hear. I am very picky about yoga centers too. I don’t wAnt the spiritual stuff neither their workout stuff. I like simple yoga classes focusing on calmness.

Pilates fan here!

Never tried it!!

Are you me? I HATE to exercise, but I have my husband to get on to me. Have you tried watching dramas while exercising? That’s what I do. Right now, it’s Her Private Life. I do 30 minutes walk-running-jogging and 30 minutes rowing. I don’t go fast, but do feel like I’ve worked out afterwards. I use my phone or iPad to watch while I work out. My husband has said that he doesn’t care if I watch all the dramas I want as long as I’m working out while doing it!

I also exercise while I watch dramas on TV (which is connected to my laptop). I don't let myself sit even if I feel like it, and I watch standing if I don't energy to keep exercising. (Good that I am the only one in the room)

Is it weird to watch kdramas first thing in the morning. I like to exercise in the mornings :). But that would be cool if I can catch up on some dramas.

Not at all! I squeeze in dramawatchng whenever I can!

Treadmills and stationary bikes at my local gym have Netflix and other choices. Work out and watch kdramas at the same time! :)

Hi everyone!
I can't believe there is only about a month left for me to defend my PHD dissertation and this means I need to have a complete draft in about 2 weeks ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am also moving back to India from USA after having lived here for 9 years (4undergrad and 5 phd) because I need to renew my passport and then get a Korean visa so I can move to Korea by the end of July to start my research scientist postdoc position at Seoul National University in August.

It's so overwhelming! I have to literally pack up 9 years of my life and move it out of USA because I don't know if and when I will be coming back. I started to get things over the years thinking I would get a job here somewhere but the only one I got was in the post doctoral research position in Korea so I am moving and now have a lot of personal effects that I have grown attached to and don't want to have to sell. (I probably will sell some of it. the doubles, the furniture, donate a lot of clothes etc). But that still leaves a lot of things.

Have any of you moved abroad and if so how did you manage to transport everything? My parents are here so they have space to take about 2 bags worth of thing home. And I will have my 2 checked bags when I go home too.
I have a lot of books (most of which I don't want to get rid of) and I also collected a lot of albums (Kpop and a loooooot of Kdrama OSTs, I absolutely love OSTs and have some rare and old ones too! my precious. yes in the Gollum voice)

What will the best way to transport them? Either to India where they can stay locked up in air tight boxes at home with my parents, or to Korea where I will be for at least 2-3 years, perhaps longer if I get a permanent position there.

deep breaths deep breaths......
aaahhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH

Sorry for the ranting.

Good luck on your upcoming defense and bravo for taking the next steps in your career. As a scientist working in Korea, will you be talking to your peers in Korean or English?

Thanks!
and I am entirely sure.
well the science will be all in English but I guess personal communication might be in Korean. Some of the university stuff might be in Korean as well.
But I think they have enough English support.
Thankfully I know some Korean (basic to intermediate). Nowhere close to fluent of course, but once I am there I definitely want to take official classes to polish my skills to be able to integrate into the community better (TOPIK probably)
haha in my correspondence with the professor I shall be working with, I address him in Korea and write the rest of the email in Eng and now I don't know how to address him in English. (e.g. 안녕하세요 우교수님)

I am impressed! Being a research scientist is already stellar but in a multi-lingual situation? *genuflects* Last night I watched my son's taekwondo class formally end the class with their usual bowing and thank yous in Korean. I chuckled, imagining them using Korean as we see actors speak it when talking to their fans. Specifically, that jazz hands double wave 감사합니다 Gamsahamnidaaaaaaaaaaah!

*I meant I am *not* entirely sure. haha

DHL? Or other international courier option. Anyway, congratulation, it seems like amazing opportunity.

How exciting! Best of luck and congratulations!

If you have any Koreans (from Korea) in your department, ask them about shipping. If not, see if you can find a Korean church in your area and ask them. Just FYI, it was cheaper for my mom to ship all of her stuff to the US from Korea than it was for us to do a move from state to state!

I am moving to Korea for a year and a half come August. I feel your pain. I am cutting my life down to four suitcases (two that I am bringing and two that my mother will bring when she visits in October). This is only enough to bring my electronics and four season clothes, so none of my other personal effects are coming with me. Luckily, I can leave two archive boxes of family photos and paraphernalia with my Mother, but everything else has to go.

That's great! where in Korea will you be? will yo be studying or doing a job?

I shall be traveling alone sadly, so I'll only have the 2 suitcases when I start off. I will probably be shipping several items to Korea.

Since I am currently in USA I have to basically move to 2 countries over the next 3 months!
Cutting down life is just so hard! My parents are visiting me for graduation so thankfully they can take a few things back home with them.

I am retiring (55, so yeah, old), so I don't have to work. I have been studying Korean for three years, but I still talk like a toddler (complicated sentences are hard!)

I will continue learning Korean while living in Seoul and use it as a home base for trips around Asia.

I have been giving away stuff for months and still there is a lot here. It is hard to say goodby to the things I have collected over the years, but I am saving money because whenever I think about buying anything, I remember that it won't fit in my suitcase! ^^

Wow, that sounds like a huge life change! If you don't mind me asking, how did you come to decide to live in Korea for a year and a half, to the point of giving up all your things (except 4 suitcases and a couple boxes of photos)? And what will you do afterward?

It won't let me reply directly to you (or I am just lame). Afterward I am going to overwinter in the Caribbean and then spend a few months in Europe. Eventually I will decide where I want to live.

Sounds wonderful. Congratulations on starting this new part of your life, Athena! Best wishes for joyous adventures ahead. :)

That sounds absolutely wonderful! Good luck on your journey! Hope to cross paths with you in Korea perhaps!
Hope you have a wonderful time there!

Hi Athena, Just updated my account to be able to get in touch w/y.
I'm an ajjumma myself completely smitted by South Korea (Kdramas be accountable for the beginning of the passion-Leidenschaft).
I've spent 2 Summer in Seoul learning Korean and I plan to be visiting for longer in a future - in a year or two.
I'm a teacher for German as a 2nd foreign language. I wish you the best of lucks in your world tour and, if you plan to come to Spain, I hope we can meet!
Mensi

So I went full Konmari on my clothes today. and my oh my do I have a huuuuuuge pile of clothes in my donation pile! My closet is decimated. And I still have a lot of clothes!
It sure is hard to go through clothes and deem only a few worth keeping/paying to ship overseas.

The Fiery Priest wraps up this weekend. Man, I am not ready to see the outcome from last week.

It feels like I already know and I want to be wrong.

Hope for happy ending - if it is possible.

Have you watched ep 37-38? I miss the laughter. Huhu

Me, too.

I did. I could not even enjoy Hae il in that suit that fit him like a glove because the vibe was just not there.

Hi all:

I totally forgot it was Friday and Open Thread Day.

So many shows, so many scandals in Asian film industry, i guess i forgot.

Chinese Dramas: Pushing Hands and Destiny's Love are my current faves.

Psychometric Guy is the most surprising best-plotted drama i've seen in a while. Stuff just keeps getting more complex but it never loses its main plot.

Beautiful World is a fave. Love it. Also love My Fellow Citizens. The Trump comments have me cracking up, although they were so sad and terrifying. Am trusting our hero won't go full fascist. I think Trump mentions have been popping up a lot in various dramas.
Her Private Life has won me over. I am hoping no birth secret pops up and that Ryan isn't the brother of heroine's "sibling." I just couldn't take it. I figure we'll have to deal with hero's need for family but please, drama, do not bring in some hidden relationship. Please let him not be related to flaky gallery owner either. I wish her "found" sibling weren't in love with her. Seems unrealistic since they grew up together. I like the various themes and subtexts. What is family? Parental issues? Club? So much woundedness in the show but it's so cheery nevertheless.

Confession: oh my! So good and well-made.
Kill It: I wish the writer wrote better. Seriously, what hitman would befriend those two women? The younger girl is chatty and i just want to scream when she opens her mouth to tell secrets to perfect strangers.
Doctor Prisoner: This is almost as exhausting as Legend of Haolan so i have to be in the mood for all the machinations and reversals.

The Banker is boring me because the passion for business math just isnt there. It's too people-focused.

Not much else happening...except ya know..for all the scandals.
Have a great weekend, all.

Her Private Life has won me over too, Carole! I think it's the quality of the actors, they are amazig. And I love a good "siblilng-not-sibling" trope, plus the hilarious husband/husband/wife relationship. Makes me laugh! Not to mention the museum curator/fangirl combo - love it, love it!

Psychometric Guy is so gooooood. But that last episode was really heavy. The torture and confinement. Real people probably went through that. It was hard to watch.

I think The Banker got better. And I wonder what is going on with same plots on several different dramas - like Father took the fall for his child (heart problem), or Kids who were abused (killed even).

Yes, tis the 2019 season trope. I haven't seen this week's episode yet.

The banker is really such a let down. WIth such so many talent people in front of camera in one drama become waste is making me abit sad. very underwhelming imo.

yeah, i don't want to say i'm bored with it but....

Random question, Beanies, but if you had to be in a kdrama, which one would you choose?

Personally, I’d go for Chicago Typewriter. A world in which writers are celebrities and everyone has a gorgeous library? Yes please.

I’d also love to have a past life as a freedom fighter, not to mention a typewriter with a snazzily dressed ghost/puppy attached to it.

Chicago Typewriter. I’d take either timeline.

I didn’t really like Romance is a Bonus Book but I would sell a kidney to work at that publishing house.

I hear you. I have watched that one twice and loved every minute both times.

Any one with Gong Yoo, even Big.

Wow, that’s devotion.

especially Big, he wakes up naked, remember...
*winks*

😜. Yep.

RAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRR.....
*fans self*

I'm not sure but I do know that I definitely wouldn't want to live in a nice apartment with a kind, gentle cat owner who I would end up in a contract marriage with. That sounds like absolute hell.

You know, I didn’t expect you to pick anything else, but that really is a description of a perfect life...

I want to be the fifth member of the Avengers Social Club. I'll be there to plot comedic revenge on annoying people.

Chicago Typewriter in the old timeline so I can just stare at YAI, (so shallow). Matrimonial Chaos, Just Between Lovers and My Ahjussi if I can be part of the gang and hang out with my found family.

TGIF! Good Friday! Every Friday is good! Hope everyone had good week. I started(well, continued) "Possessed" thanks to excited recapper(Thanks Sunny and LollyPip) and enjoying it- It felt more like regular big bad story with subtle romance. Yeon Jung-hoon was scary yet interesting possessed chaebol villain, and I was sad that his screen time was done. I looked for his interview and he had one when My Healing Love ended.

According to wiki and namuwiki, Yeon Jung-hoon (41) debuted with the drama "Wave" in 1999 and did dramas like Yellow Handkerchief(2003), East of Eden(2008), Jejungwon(2009), Vampire Prosecutor(2011), Mask(2015) Bravo My Life(2017) and My Healing Love and Possessed(2019) among others. In addition, he did a few films starting with My Wife Is a Gangster(2001). He is best known for his roles in East of Eden, period medical drama Jejungwon, and crime procedural Vampire Prosecutor. He recently received Top Excellence Award for My Healing Love in the MBC drama awards(2018). Yeon's acting life has been quiet one without controversy or criticism about roles he worked on.

His father is veteran actor Yeon Kyu-jin. Yeon lived in the US for seven years as he graduated in college as well as middle and high school in US. He has BA in Industrial Design and MS in Product Design. His specialty is Kendo and hobby is drum playing and car racing. He also sang and produced the album All for you in 2003 and Yeon Jeong Hoon single in 2013. He did a few variety including Running man in 2015 where he appeared as a partner of Yoo Jae-suk.

With a considerable collection of cars, He had hobby of collecting supercars. Thanks to such enthusiasm, he made official motor sports debut as a member of the Racing Team in Super 6000 class, top class race in 2010. Since then, he has appeared in the Ferrari One Make Challenge race, an International Race for a while, and again in the race GT class as the Indigo Racing Team in 2017. He also appeared in Top Gear Korea show in 2011 which he left due to his personal schedule conflict from Season 4 in 2013.

He also seems to be interested in camera and photography. In 2013, he received the Grand Prize at the "Innovative Sweden" photo contest held by the Swedish Embassy in Korea and a camera company. He was also noticed for his expensive watch collection- For example, in the drama "I Summon You, Gold", he wore F.P.Journe which costed about $45,000. (It seems family is rich from real estate investment)

Yeon is known for his actor father Yeon Kyu-jin, but most famous for marrying his actress wife. Yeon married the actress Han Ga-in(Moon embracing the sun, Mistress) in 2005 (who was popular along with Kim Tae-hee) after meeting her during shooting "Yellow Handkerchief" and dating for 2 years. According to interviews, his father said to Yeon, "If you think that she is the one to marry, do not hesitate." (I don't know if this is true since Yeon never mentioned about this but-) It is a romantic love story that has succeeded in marrying a childhood friend- Yeon lived next door of Han when he was young. When they married, Han Ga-in was only 23 years old, and he was four years older.

The news of dating Han became talk of town when Yeon had the press conference out of blue to say that they planned to marry before starting shooting of "Sad love story". After marrying, he enlisted in active duty. Yeon served as a full-time reserve in the 52nd Infantry Division. It was said that Han Ga-in came to meet him almost every day so the chief asked Yeon to stop her from coming because it affected the morale of the soldiers.(heh?) While Yeon Jung-hoon's major work was "Vampire prosecutor", Han Ga-in has suffered from foot-acting criticism in most of her projects (and is still controversial in terms of acting). After 11 years of marriage they had a girl in 2016, and expecting their second in May.

Now onto the interview. [Starnews, 2019.03.12-13] Yeon Jung-hoon played daddy long legs Choi Jin-woo in the drama who had a lot of talent, soft charisma and warm heart. My healing Love was weekend family growth drama.

Q: 80 episodes of "My Healing Love" ended with 14.3%.
Yeon: We did our best to present all parts we could having a lot of fun among actors, staff members, director-nim, and writer-nim for 6 months. I was sorry it ended because I enjoyed it, and we parted with a promise to have fun again next time.

Q: You had the troubled romance while playing the role of daddy long legs with So Yoo-jin in the show.
Yeon: So Yoo-jin is an actress known for being able to act a comic parts as well as melo well. So I thought she was suitable for Chi-woo role. From the first time I saw her, she was bright and showed a lot of concerns about her work. She whined that when she plays melo, people laugh, but as the person who acted with her, I found So Yoo-jin managed to play Im Chi-woo really well. At any given moment, she took and gave reactions well and played comfortably so we had good team work and I learned a lot.

Q: You did a lots of melo/romance acting in the past, but it has been long while since you did melo.
Yeon: I did a lot of melo acting before going to the army, but I wanted to expand my acting spectrum after I returned. So I appeared in "East of Eden" and chose "Jaejoongwon". I wanted to challenge a character who led a company, and ended up choosing the melo genre.

Q: The show had lukewarm response in the beginning, but as episode continued it received the attention of the audience and ratings has rebounded.
Yeon: From the beginning, the show was not portrayed as exciting or provoking, so the viewers might not be attracted right away. As the show continued viewers recognized a lot saying "It is My healing Love!". It seemed to have received responses from the public when we shot outdoor in the latter part.

Q: Do you remember any comments/response for your character?
Yeon: I am very satisfied playing the warm character. It had many reactions like "Jin-woo is likely to appear here." with him being a nice guy saving the situation.
Q: You showed a warm and good character with Choi Jin-woo, but have to show the inhumane evil character Oh Soo-hyuk in OCN's Possessed.
Yeon: I am happy as I build up my acting spectrum. I am grateful for people finding me with polar opposite characters. I don't want to limit myself to certain character as I want to grow as an actor. There is a desire to worry and create new things. In the past, I felt burden when a difficult character was given, but now it seems to be fun to build and play a new character.

Q: How about chemistry with other casts?
Yeon: In the past, there were just two waiting rooms of men and women for casts, so there were many chances to talk, but as private waiting rooms increased, there are less opportunity for chat now. But when we did "My healing love" we did script practice often. So I met even actors who I didn't work together in the scene. And we went to the concert, had field day, get-together etc. Actors and staff members met a lot so that I thought "Is it ok to have these many gatherings?". Mood maker was So Yoo-jin ssi. I just helped her by side.

Q: You received the best actor award in 2018 MBC awards for this show.
Yeon: I didn't know I received this much love. When I first met director-nim and writer-nim, we said rather than having expectations about ratings, we would just make an enjoyable set because it was director Kim Sung-ryong's first project. Director-nim asked me for a character who is softer and wittier. Since there were not many people who asked me like that last few years, I liked it. I starred in the show because he said "Let's work together having fun." But it received more love than I expected so I felt good, and I thought it was still ok for me to do melo.

Q: What was the response you remember?
Yeon: My mother-in-law liked it. So I felt sense of achievement.
Q: How was your wife Han Ga-in's response?
Yeon: We don't tend to talk about each other's acting. We don't touch own idea about acting.
Q: We know Yeon Jung-hoon acted with Han Ga-in in 2003's drama Yellow Handkerchief, married in 2005 and had first child in 2016. You are expecting the second child in May.
Yeon: I don't worry much but have big expectations. All I want is baby to be born healthy. My life sunbae who are married said "You have to have the second child." Now I am in the positon I can provide advice.

Q: Is there anything you do for prenatal educational care?
Yeon: I am doing like what I did for my first child. I try to let the baby hear dad's voice and read many good books. My eldest seems feeling jealousy because she gets in the way if I try to do something and tell me to look at her. So I am taking care of her.
Q: How do you have time during busy drama shooting schedule?
Yeon: In the beginning I didn't have many schedule, but now as I film Possessed, time I spend at home decreased.

Q: The direction of selecting a role will be different because you will be father of two children?
Yeon: I do not want to restraint my role and want to do a lot of things. I want to be a father who has career as actor regardless of the genre and role. My daughter seems to know that I am an actor, but I do not know if she really knows. One time when my wife said she would go to wrap-up party after shooting "Mistress", she exploded, "That is Not shoot!" So I called my wife and said "I think you should come home soon".

Q: What changed after the marriage and the birth of a child?
Yeon: Giving my daughter bath and washing her hair when I have time became my main task. In addition to that, I try to maintain my physical strength, so I exercise a lot. I used to race, but I think I should stop because I have a second one. One time a racing athlete had a baby and became a world champion, and when a reporter asked him if he was going to have a party he said he would spend time with his family. It was like my story. I am very happy now. Since I had a long marriage life before I had a baby I feel like I am in the second stage of my life now. I like it very much.

Q: It seems that the child has changed the value of life a lot for you.
Yeon: The difference between whether there is a child or not seems to be huge. Personally I think it is better to have children. My child now seems to have her own thoughts, and I can't wait what conversation we would share later. She is interested in ballet as she sleeps wearing toe shoes recently. She has never learned to play ballet, but suddenly she said she would go to Russia.

Q: What is your attitude doing "Possessed" after doing "My Healing Love"?
Yeon: Because "Possessed" was pre-production, the filming was all done. It became a mental stabilization for me acting...

...(good and bad) opposite roles. I felt frustrated thinking "Where in the world such nice man exists?" doing My healing love, so I loved it when I played the villain in Possessed. On the other hand, unlike playing a villain role, I felt at ease doing My healing Love. I acted as it brought calmness in my life.
Q: What is Yeong Jeong-hoon's goal as an actor?
Yeon: I hope I can continue acting. I want to become an actor who is recognized and wished to watch continuously by viewers, rather than a hot actor.

Song all for you, 2005

Yeon couple, 2014

I wonder how he finds time to act when he has so many interests. (Most impressed for me? His good English) YJH fighting!

It seems there are more actors and actresses doing multiple projects or dramas back-to-back (How I delighted to see nun from Fiery Priest in My Fellow Citizens^^). One of such actors is Kim Tae-woo who is currently playing the (sly) vice president in "The Banker". He had an interview after "Romance is a bonus book" which was his first romcom.

First a little intro. According to namuwiki, Kim Tae-woo(48) started his career as a contracted actor/talent in KBS in 1996. His film debut was 1997's "The Contact" and he received the KBS New Male Actor award for the drama "The Lie" in 1998. During his 24 years of acting experience he did films like Joint Security Area JSA(2000), The Face Reader (2013), The Pirates (2014), Rampant (2018). His first drama was KBS's First Love(1996) and did dramas like "That Winter, the Wind Blows (2013) ,God's Gift-14 Days (2014), The Jingbirok (2015), Goodbye Mr. Black (2016), Good Wife (2016), Black (2017), Queen of Mystery 2 (2018), Secret Mother (2018), Romance Is a Bonus Book (2019) and now The Banker.

Kim was a model student studying hard and had good grades faithful to his appearance and image during school days. So when he decided to become an actor after majoring in stage play, his parents were greatly upset. Eventually his father allowed him after his persistent appeal, but his father seemed to have different expectations. "My father said, "Yes, if you really want, go major in theater and work hard. When I asked around, I found that there are people who became professors studying in that area." So he gave me permission not for me to become an actor, but to be in teaching profession. Even when I started my career as an actor, he opposed saying "Why you don't take the teaching profession?" However, even if I was not a top star, my parents seemed to be surprised to see how I was accepted in the area in acting easily, and he even said "Take after your brother" to my brother who became an actor." He said he was proud hearing that.

Even though not very popular, Kim has fans and he continues to appear in director Hong Sang-soo's films. He played a lot of elite and intellectual roles because of the glasses and the impression. Also, when he takes off his glasses, he has a pretty sharp impression which may landed him evil roles. In 2015, he played King Sunjo in Jingbirok and his performance portraying pathetic King Sunjo were well received, and viewers watching were angry and frustrated so that they joked it was enough to cause a cancer. He won the Excellence award at the KBS Acting Awards for the show. Most recently Kim received the acting award for Secret Mother in SBS awards in 2018.

His wife was his first love- he met her when he was 20 years old, and married to her after 15 years without any other dating experience. His younger brother Kim Tae-hoon is also an actor. He also played many evil roles (My Love Eun-dong!) for the same reason as his hyung (sharp impression. I...

...thought dongsaeng looked older heh). As side story Bae Yong-joon who was rising young star doing "First Love"(1996) liked kim so much that he asked the production team to increase Kim's screen time. Originally Kim had the role to appear shortly in college scenes, but Bae said he wanted Kim in every scene he appeared.

[Starnews, 2019.03.21] Kim Tae-woo used to play many evil characters but broke his image when he transformed doing the first comic character with "Romance is a bonus book". Romance is a romcom about the story of people who make books in a world people don't read books. Kim played the president Kim Jae-min in the book publishing company 'Gyoru', who has a businessman sense as well as a cool boss temperament.

Q: Romance ended with a highest viewer ratings of 6.7%.
Kim: I liked the work as an actor, but I liked it as a viewer too. There was a lot of humane smell in the drama, and a small story was told as it contained the story about the book. Various characters were introduced while drawing the triangle and square relationship of the central figure.

Q: You challenged your first comic character through Kim Jae-min.
Kim: Until "That winter, the wind" I had been asked many times whether I wanted to play a villain. Since That winter though, I played evil character in "Pirates" and "Secret Mother". And now people say "Why you are only doing evil roles?" People think that I am serious, but I am more cheerful person than people think. I was attracted by the fact that Romance is a bonus book was a cheery drama. I also got acquainted with PD Lee Jung Hyo doing Good Wife. It was also nice to play with actors for the first time except Kim Yu-mi. The script was very good, and the actors were good that it was very fun to go to the shooting set. And I enjoyed it as a viewer too. So I could not be unsatisfied.

Q: President Kim Jae-min had the characteristics of a business man while also possessing the humane aspect. How did you play the two tones?
Kim: It was not difficult to apply to reality. Everyone seems to live adjusting to the real situation. While acting I could understand that Kim Jae-min showed the nature of the business man when he runs the company, and showed another humane side when he was with Eun-ho.
Q: There was no awkward part in acting the first comic character?
Kim: The actor's next piece is chosen by the character image from the previous project so even though it is good that a person who plays a bad villain well may play a bad villain, but it may be better when a person who seems not being able to play a villain plays an evil character. Then, when the verification/evaluation is made somewhere, the acting spectrum gets expanded. That was also the reason I played the villain since That Winter.

Q: Comical role- You think you can do well again next time?
Kim: For 17 years, I was asked the question of "Do you reject a villain role?" I always answered the same, "Will there be opportunities, I think?" I do not know if comical characters will be offered after this work, but I think it is not the end of the acting life since I am going to act for 20 -30 years. My standard is a "good project" rather than a character.
Q: You had a love line with Kim Yu-mi in the latter half which ended well.
Kim: I had doubts about making all pairs personally. But it seemed that the writer-nim painted us well so that it didn't feel offensive. I liked having our love line later. (Joe) Han-chul and (Kim) Sun-young stayed being separated and it felt realistic.

Q: Kim Yu-mi dropped the button several times in Kim Jae-min's room. Did that scene mean anything special?
Kim: It was because it had to show the link between the two. That moment became the button. It seemed that it showed the laxity of director Ko and my meticulousness as a link. It was portrayed cute.

Q: In a decisive scene, Kim Jae-min made hand gesture with his index finger with "Uuung" sound which added cheerfulness in the show. You took a lot of ideas at the shooting site and Director Lee Jung-hyo reflected it well, I heard?
Kim: Director-nim is the type who tries to accept everything. Relationship among casts was so good that there were many occasions we laugh carefree, and director-nim even had to sort out the set atmosphere, asking us to be quiet. And there were many scenes I did ad-lib- after Lee Na-young ssi left the company, I said "What do we do?" as sitting down etc. When I did ad-lib all other actors took it and responded well. Jo Han-chul, Kim Yu-mi, Kim Sun-young, etc. all of the actors did ad-lib in the right place at the right place. Because all were acting experts, they were laughing loud at one moment but acted focused right away when shooting started.

Q: You made Kim Jae-min's finger gesture yourself.
Kim: This was the first time I played a sunny character- Even though I had image of my character in mind from the first episode, since I have never done that before, I felt burden from my first filming for my comical character. The first filming part of 5th episode was when I was drinking with Jong-seok. In the scene where we exchanged the lines to show off each other's coolness, that gesture came out. It was very comfortable scene, and I showed comical side with my finger. When he watched the full shot, director-nim said the gesture looked good and fun and added it to my character. So you can think it was made with director-nim together. Jong-suk said he did to Hye-rin(Jung Yoo-jin) because he liked it, but he was so embarrassed that that he made NG like twenty times and had hard time.

Q: what kind of empathy you had with Kim Jae-min character?
Kim: President Kim showed his realistic view when he fought with Eun-ho. Because he was in the position...

...leading the company as president, he said a poetry doesn't sell and Cha Eun-ho said they had to publish a poetry having philosophy, so I think actually company operated well with such conflicts. I was on both sides.

Q: You did the most acting with Lee Jong-seok.
Kim: I acted feeling really good. He was good dongsaeng. He did well in difficult filming situations.
Q: How about Lee Na-young?
Kim: I had seen her in my past activities. Na-young yi was still nice and still laughed easily. Really same as before. She couldn't hold the laugh so we lost it laughing. I feel she is a person who is more comfortable, enjoyable and nicer than Gang Dan-yi.

Q: This drama was characterized by an episodic story. Which episode was the most memorable for you?
Kim: Story about me and (Kim) Yu-mi was good, but everything was really good. The plot of (Jo) Han-chul hyung and (Kim) Sun-young was good. And I saw Yu-mi after a long while but did filming with her feeling comfortable.

Q: Is there a person like a book to yourself? And what kind of genre would you compare yourself to a book?
Kim: A person like "book" would be like a "treasure". My mother, brother, wife, children are all like books to me. My genre seems unspecified and I am just an ordinary person.

Q: Kim Tae-woo has an image of "an actor who shows consistent image".
Kim: I appreciate it. I've never been popular, but it seems like my popularity has never dropped, and I was able to act for 20 years steadily. I am thankful good projects have been offered for me. We (actors) merely make a faithful work of projects given, rather than deciding on projects. Above all, I like the acting as my profession. My dream in the second grade of my junior high school was an actor, and I am so grateful that I am doing this work when I wonder how many people do what they dreamed of doing. It could've been difficult if I did it to show it to others, but it's been possible because I enjoy doing it.

Q: You are also known as an actor who does not do SNS.
Kim: People around me have been fussing so much that I have been doing kakao talk(group chat) for a few months now. It was because I just don't know about digital culture rather than me thinking I shouldn't do it. But I still do not carry my cell phone in the filming set. I think Analog sensibility fits me. It feels more comfortable. But nowadays I read the articles and do group chat, going with the flow.

Q: What does Romance is a bonus book mean to Kim Tae-woo?
Kim: All works are like my children, and there are no painless fingers. A work that didn't do well rather than a popular ones such as JSA or Romance, is a "sore finger". Since I do my best for every project in the actor's position, I feel sad it if does not shine.

Awwww a guy who married to his first love (after dating 15 years? Is this guy real??) KTW fighting!

Hello Beanies! Happy Easter!

This week, I was watching Her Private Life and I found myself enjoying the show. I am looking forward on the development of the romance department. Heee! I also keep seeing Secretary Kim in HPL because of Park Min Young unnie’s office outfit. She’s really beautiful!

I also finished watching Healer. I couldn’t be any happier with the way they wrapped up the show. Thank you so much to all the people who were part of that beautiful drama! Eternal Love is now officially my most favorite kdrama OST.

Can anyone tell me where I can binge watch Goblin?

Netflix has it~

I don't see it on Netflix. It might vary by region.

Looks like it was removed from my region too :( but just in case, its Netflix title is Guardian: The Lonely and Great God.

Beanies,

Anyone watching Her Private Life?

Me! I love this drama ! Park Min Young looks beautiful and Kim Jae Wook looks manly and charming :)
And episode 4 has made me grinning from ear to ear hehe
I love all the characters so far; even Geonu is super adorable as SeonJu's son. Too bad, it is not being recapped on Dramabeans!

I knowwww..... the chemistry. The wackiness...the beautifulness.... i need weekly recaps/fangirling sessions because I feel like that's what watching this drama is gonna beat

holar everybody.

Today is the day where I admit that I've been binging on every drama currently on air, and some that aren't as well. Out of all of these, my self inflicted pain-loving heart is particularly caught up over two dramas: "My ID Is Gangnam Beauty" which aired a year or so ago, and "Beautiful World" (currently on-air gowatchitnow).

While many had their share of things to critique on with "ID Is Gangnam Beauty," let me present to all of you, some more positive marks of the drama. Bringing to light the hypocritical beauty standards found not only in Korea, but also most of the world, it shows that the situation is a whole "damned if you do, damned if you don't" mess. The two leads, Im Soo-hyang and Cha Eun-woo, are both generally quiet characters (reflective of their webtoon selves, might I add emphatically) and tickle hearts in their clumsy attempts to navigate through the dizzying world of college, genetic alcohol tolerance, peer pressure, and young, awkward love.

"Beautiful World." The drama that had me tearing up within the first ten minutes, and I don't think I've stopped crying since then. The manner in which the premise of the main story is presented is almost itchingly irritating (in a good way) as the audience and the parents are left with five dozen odd bits of information with no way of assembling it quickly in order to see the big picture. There's something about the drama that is extraordinarily predictable, but it's still heartwarming/wrenching and it gets you invested into the characters.

The line between "good" and "bad" is a bit smudged in this drama, but not to the point where even the teenage assailants don't feel the scratchings of guilt and fear. They know they've done wrong, but they're not necessarily sure where it went wrong. (Lastly, Nam Dareum is my precious onscreen child and it'd be nice to see ten consecutive minutes where he's not suffering physically or emotionally).

In other news, "He is Psychometric" has drawn me in way more than I thought it would, and it's half due to the shiny pretty fight choreography pulled off perfectly by Jinyoung and Ye-eun. I love me some chest kicks.

Help, please! I'm looking for a new crack drama to watch, something I can rave about and switch the mood. I'm watching He is Psychometric right now, which is super cute and I love it... but it's not quite the high quality tone crack drama I'm looking for.

So I need something to fill in the gaps, and I've looked at my to watch list a dozen times but nothing is standing out. I need reviews. ^^ On it we have:
Life on Mars
Come and Hug Me
Hospital Ship
Live
Prison Playbook
Romance is a Bonus Book
SKY Castle
The Smile Has Left Your Eyes
... any suggestions from here, or otherwise?

I don't know if I want to go into a hit like Ajusshi just now, recommending a solid medial drama would be a plus as that's what sort of Korean I'm working to learn at the moment. Also considering a Chinese drama, I need to study that againㅠㅠ why is my drama life suddenly my work and school life tooo??!ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

Thanking you in advance beanies, you are my only hope! Ahahaha^^

Ok. Recent developments within myself, I think I'm narrowing it down to:

Radio Romance
Memories of the Alhambra
Prison Playbook

Yes. I see that they are vastly different dramas, with probably vastly different quality levels. But the question is, how well does each do what I want it to? (effectively change the mood of my drama watching experience, keep my drama momentum going) thoughts?

Of your choices, for a crack drama I'd take Life on Mars or Alhambra (although if you're like most people, you won't be happy with the ending of Alhambra). Both are a "different" kind of drama experience and, I think, likely to keep up your momentum. 😁

I vote Life on Mars.

I want to suggest something out of your list: Return. I personally think its a fantastic thriller, it kept me on edge when I watched it. But its not cute and fluffy though 😅. Trailer: https://youtu.be/bblIsqFv4x0

Out of the three you've narrowed down..i say PP. Because it was fun to watch and the characters were well developed. The downside is the eps were long, I think it was to cater the many characters the drama had.

Personaly, I didn't like Radio Romance.

The story of Memories of the Alhambra was fresh, fun and interesting. But all the interesting part is about the male lead, the other characters are not very interesting. So if you don't care, it's a fun drama.

Prison Playbook was really good. It was pretty fun and all the characters were interesting and the casting was great.

Radio Romance was kind of bland but kind of cute, dropped Memories of the Alhambra after 2 episodes, loved Prison Playbook but it's kind of slow and long (I stalled out at one point and then picked it up again).

I'm one of the few that watched all of Hospital Ship. Unless you absolutely love one of the leads and would watch him/her in anything, I'd take it off the list.

I concur. I finished HS and at the same time plodded through and finished TEMPERATURE OF LOVE (unfortunately also not recommended).
All this was before “dropped” became part of my viewing vocabulary.

I also watched all of ToL but I was compelled due to Kim Jae Wook. If I were to do it over now, I'd fast forward through all but his scenes and still be disappointed that his role turned out the way it did.

I’d recommend Live first. It’s gritty and realistic, but incredibly well done. The acting in it is phenomenal. I liked it better than Prison Playbook, which was also good, but I agree, way too long to properly binge-watch. The only other one in your list I saw was Radio Romance, and I liked it, but a lot of people didn’t. But I have a huge soft spot for Yoon Doojoon. So much so that my phone knows how to spell check his name, lol!

Otherwise, Life on Mars and Sky Castle were pretty unanimously thought of as high quality and engaging on DB, so definitely watch those. There’re both on my list as well.

Memories of the Alhambra has amazing production quality, probably the best of all of them. So, quality wise, this might be just what you’re looking for. I really enjoyed it, but people were frustrated about how the female lead was written (@leetennant’s famous “potted plant” piece was inspired by her- http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/12/2018-year-in-review-im-not-a-potted-plant/) and even the writer stated that there was no romantic arc to begin with, but she was pretty much directed to write one in because of who the leads ended up being. (Crap, I’ve read a lot about this, haven’t I?) but I would recommend it if you want something different, entertaining, and Hyun Bin-ge-worthy. Good luck!!!

@cozybooks,
Can I add a suggestion to your list. If you haven’t seen it I would recommend the 12 episode GO BACK SPOUSES.
That was a recent catch up for me and my introduction to Son Ho-jun. Jang Na-ra I had seen in HELLO MONSTER. Also in the cast is the wonderful Kim Mi-kyung. It tugs at your heart but has a lot of humor. It climbed into my favorite list.

Sky Castle, Prison Playbook and The Smile has left your eyes.

All are excellent. My personal favorite was Prison Playbook. I didn't think I would like it, but I sat through the first episode and by epi 2, I was hooked solid and it never let go.

Where is javabeans and girlfriday?

Jus a little update/status would be great!

Hi All - New here. I need help trying to identify a K-Drama. It's about a woman who lost her memory because she was in an accident when a truck turned over. No one knew who she was or how she got in the truck. Fast forward. The woman has found her father and goes to see him, but arrives at his funeral. It is found out later that the step sister saw the little girl in the bank of the truck, but turned her back and pretended not to hear the little girl calling for her. Long story, but both girls end up having the same mother in the end.

this sounds soooo familiar!!! Seems to be from a while back.....was the little girl trying to get bread from the truck? and then the truck started driving off or something?

Hi Cyndi~ just letting you know your question was posted here: http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/05/name-that-drama-and-other-non-drama-things/