Open Thread #603

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Hello, all:

Hope all is well with everyone. Rain, rain, rain. Spring is so iffy in these parts that i am now committed to getting outside if the sun peeks out from behind this sheet of rain.

Dramas:

Kdramas:

Beautiful Word. Beautiful Drama. Perfection. And Seon-Ho better remain perfect. Tainted, imperfect world it may be, but I do NOT want anyone tainting my comatose hero. Every good story needs a creature that is all light and goodness in a world gone gray.

My Fellow Citizen: Good solid fun critique of politics. Challenging without being preachy.

I have to catch up on Doctor Prisoner. The screencaps i saw for this drama had me anticipating the worst. Did our avenger get caught in a web he did not foresee?

Confession: Really good and solid. This and psychometric guy were the best at portraying backstories that needed to be unearthed.

Abyss: I'm liking it. Not knowing how deep the supernatural will go, i anticipate a heck of a lot of deaths and rebirths.

Private Life: Am back watching this. The angst didn't last too long. Mercifully. Have kdrama-writers caught on that we don't like them replacing true plots with noble idiocy tropes. I'd rather the true tension and stress of a real plot than false suspense. Some's gotta be related to someone else. Lord knows who? Our celeb? Da in? Somebody. I feel it!

Secretary's Secret: Ah i love this! It is so silly and fun and with the weird chaebol family dynamics it has just the right touch of pathos and poor little rich boy sorrow to keep us satisfied.

Different Dreams: Okay. I do like this time of history so am into it. It's a bit distancing.

Nokdu Flower: Preparing myself for much sorrow.

Cdramas: Legends. Lotsa twisty stuff in the first episodes. That's one thing i really love about Chinese dramas. You often don't know if someone will go good or go bad.

Jdramas:

Swim (on viki): Fun, silly, boys in high school swim competition.

Shusen Sedai: A bit like the Banker but manager is supposed to let his bank branch fail so his co-employees can lose their job. Co-employees aren't the fighting types.

Have a great weekend, all.

Regarding Doctor Prisoner, don't fret. Our avenger is crafty, or perhaps resourceful. There are challenges from all sides, as always, but he forges ahead.

I shall encourage myself with your words, fellow viewer! One screenshot had avenger looking beaten and the other screenshot had nemesis sneery-grinning. I could only be perturbed. Thanks for the good word. I shall shoulder on!

Just started Secretary's Secret, it is fun! I nearly cried when the boss glanced through her diary and saw only his appointments in it (so overdedicated and underappreciated!)

I liked SS. How I loved when she/secretary tried to interview her potential boss. lol

She's got spunk, definitely!

I have a soft spot for ditsy kdrama heroines who are overworked, have no real life or confidence, and who rock thrift shop outfits and messy hair.

Hi Beanies. Currently I am sick. On antibiotics for my sinus infection. But you see every cloud has a silver lining. I have been holed up on my couch, next to the tv watching kdrama’s all day everyday! Current obsession is Her Private Life and those of you who are watching with me would know why. There is only one Mr Jawline Waffle Prince Lion. And HE IS THE BEST!

Also watching The Secret Life of my Secretary and it is tropes galore! Yet I am drawn to it. Maybe my ill unwell brain doesn’t mind some mindless chaebol doing chaebol stuff and coming down a notch every episode here and there.

Abyss really disappointed me. Flat and dull. I watched ep 1 and I am not planning on watching the rest. It is a shame though. I really like PBY.

Also catching up on the weekender Five Enough. Nicely paced easy watch even though I yell at the tv every now and then.

The Chinese gem Put Your Head on My Shoulder has been another enjoyable watch. Waiting patiently on eng subs. I guess slice of life dramas are my fav genre.

Feel better soon and continue to have fun drama-watching!

Thank you! Thankfully it is the weekend here. I can only rest and watch dramas 😃

I hope you feel better soon! At least you have time for dramas.

I'm on the fence about Abyss. But I'll try 4 more episodes before I decide whether to throw in the towel. For some reason, Ahn Hyo Seop does not look like himself in this show! Or I'm expecting him to look a certain way and he doesn't? :-D

It's the perm. Yeah....no buddy.

@larelle79 So that's what it is. Hmm.

@growingbeautifully I have to jump in here because I thought I was the only one thinking that about Ahn Hyo-seop! I'm not watching Abyss, but what you said is what I thought just from watching the clips/teasers. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly though.

Thank you. Yes. Like I said my sickness comes with a silver lining.

Tell me something- and I have nothing against Zahn Hye Seop - why would an actress in PBY’s caliber be paired up with an almost rookie? I saw him in one of my favourite weekenders Father is Strange and his acting was very green to me even there.

Ahn*

I guess because he's on a new high on popularity after Thirty but Seventeen, and fit the bill pretty perfectly for the character? Ah, casting directors and their questionable decisions. Anyone remember Introverted Boss?

His character in Abyss does seem almost exactly like Chan: nice but slightly dim.

(and yes, he was not very good in Father is Strange and a pleasant surprise in 30 but 17)

Get well soon! I know what you mean about Abyss. My big problem was that it was moving a bit fast and had some editing issues which confused me. The humor is a bit forced because we feel the writer is trying to show that our dead pair have been friends forever. But i still feel i could watch it and am liking it...even with its imperfections.

Should i watch Put your head on my shoulder? I'll try. Thanks.

@scifiwritir Carole, I believe you can safely give the Head on Shoulder show a try. I'm having a blast reading stuff on it at http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/05/03/put-your-head-on-my-shoulder-ep-1-2-first-impressions/ and adding my 2 cents too of course!

Thanks! Will read.

I’m enjoying Put Your Head on My Shoulder, but was immediately turned off by those recappers, who think Ryan Gold in Her Private Life is some kind of sexual molester. He’s one of the sweetest, nicest, most considerate male lead characters I’ve ever Sen in a Kdrama.

Yes, he is pretty chill and accepting of folks.

Feel better soon!

That's too bad about ABYSS. I want me some Park Bo-young but I guess I'll pass on this one.

I feel the same way about Abyss! We got hit with a train of information and are still trying to put all the pieces together. After watching Kim Jae-Wook in Her Private Life it's hard to find Ahn Hyo-Seop attractive now... >.<

I hope the infection clears up all the way soon. I'm kind of liking The Secret Life too.

Yeah I don’t mind it either. And I never liked the guy - saw him in the movie On Your Wedding Day with Park Bo Young. But I don’t mind him here. Maybe because of his exposed forehead? Hair can make or break you know. Haha!

He was amazing in Lookout.

Get well soon!

Thank you! I am doing well already!

I'm getting a little behind in my dramas lately. Part of that is from playing a lot of videogames lately, but part of it has been from shows not being available for me when I want to watch them. Part of that is a cluster of shows in the same time slot, but then one of my favorite shows is My Fellow Citizens and the subs have been lagging a week behind in some cases. I really appreciate the efforts of the unpaid volunteer subbers at Viki, but sometimes the team is understaffed or loses interest in a show and the subs take several days to finish. Well in this case they've been taking up to 6 days to get the last half-hour episode done. At this point I kind of am thinking I might as well wait for the show to end and then binge it with no interruptions. (I will say this for the now defunct DramaFever and now Netflix: the people doing the work translating are getting paid and the episodes are released regularly.)

My other favorite drama is Her Private Life which I'm keeping up on. It's so funny I'm shocked its ratings are relatively low.

I haven't had the chance to start Abyss on Netflix yet but it's high on my list. I was also enjoying the Jisoo drama on Netflix "My First First Love" which is kind of a generic 20 somethings at a share house romcom but well done. I dropped Possessed for now because it was just too dark. If you like a taut thriller go for it, but a serial killer possessing his copy-cat killer and also trying to open the gate to hell for yuks is just way too dark.

Another international title to look for is The Wandering Earth which is a huge blockbuster Chinese Sci-Fi film that Netflix acquired; they dumped it on the service with no warning (and it wasn't listed on the official release schedule) last week.

I still have to watch Wandering Earth but i did see Reset on amazonprime. So if you like time travelling mothers, it's a god flick.

Just watched Wandering Earth yesterday. All I can say is, take into consideration it's China's first try at real sci fi. I think it tried to follow American heroic space epic adventures (not the good ones) and if you've seen one you've seen them all. Even though it was sf and you can expect anything outrageous, I don't think they bothered to research anything scientific at all.
What I did like was the lack of American actors...
and that Qu Chu Xiao (Bloody Romance) was the young lead. Yup, he was mostly the reason I watched.

True. But eh, american blockbusters are generally either super good or not. Avenue X says the director's cut of Wandering Earth probably is better. But how much better? Who knows?

Good morning.

I'm just watching Her Private Life and Put Your Head on My Shoulder.
They are making me so happy.
I will get back to The Story of Minglan. I think that one makes a nice weekend drama when I can line up a few to watch.

Also, fifty percent in to a book. Have balance right now that I like. Hopefully this weekend start the new Mercy Thompson book.

Over 90 here to day so wearing a new white shirt.....and now that horrible thought of is the material too thin?

@bcampbell1662 Beverly, I'm actually looking for a plain, thick white shirt or T-shirt. It's harder to find than one would expect!! There're lots of white tops but they are thin or translucent or lacy or too short. Where I am, it can get so hot I don't want to have to layer under or over.

In more recent times, when I did get lacy or see-through tops, I used them as accessories over tank tops and stuff. But it's not always cool enough to do that for the whole day!

I'm so enjoying the Head on Shoulder show too. Having a ball of a time commenting on it with a fellow drama 'bitch' which makes the watch more memorable than I think it actually has a reason to be. ;-D

You would think by now they'd be able to perfect white clothing.

It is always fun when others are there to squee with. Watching the last few eps on rabbit has made it a lot of fun.

funny how we seem to be on the same wavelength, including the search for a white top. I have a couple in linen and did not think about the see-through. I think if you have a beige or flesh bra that should be fine, no? Though I recall reading that black beneath is it. Love DB as we can discuss even this.
off to warmer climes next week. the trouble is I walk to work and then inside, the a/c is full blast. I'm thinking of alternatives to blazers or pashminas. Hmm.
Impatient with PyHoMS subs. Then realised its currently airing(?), so I have to wait. Can't get enough of LCDF (I want to know what happened at the reunion!). indeed, they are more slice-of-life than rom-coms. That LCDF is autobiographical makes it really interesting. Like what I felt for nodame cantabile (Jdorama) when it first aired. Been so long (and the leads have moved to the next stage of life, middle).
Had a binge of the battle of changsa story (weird title on YT; starred the Huo actor ). skipped battle/war scenes for being heartbreaking and realised my heart can't take in the angst anymore. It served a good contrast of emotions to move me out of procrastination. Have a good weekend, gb, and all beanies.

Have a great week too @merry. The only 'issue' that we may have with LCDF is that according to one synopsis, when the OTP find each other again, the guy is already in a relationship with someone else ... so ... our female lead is going to be actually the 3rd wheel?? If show can manage the little switcheroo sensitively, that will work.

Oh, I don't think it is that serious. it is a childhood arrangement or something. the guy doesn't take it seriously. there will be someone for the childhood friend from the looks of it.

A new Mercy Thompson? I love that series!

Hi Everyone! ..... I hope you are all doing well today.

To all the Beanies who are Moms, may you have a wonderful Mother's Day on Sunday!

My Fellow Citizens - Just caught one episode this week, but oooo, the ex-assemblyman taking a gamble and doing his own thing with Jung-gook will be all sorts of fun!

The Fiery Priest - Finally finished this. This show started off a bit slow, but I'm glad I stuck around because things did pick up after a while. They said they'd be back and I can imagine a second season of this actually working.

Doctor Prisoner - Doctor Seon, this far along and you still think you can beat Dr. Na? I mean, Dr. Na has a plan and then another plan and then a third backup plan in case the first two don't work.

Confession - Ok, so the recording device ..... someone will find it, right? Right??

Her Private Life - I can't believe I'm behind on this, but I am! After looking at and reading all the fun posts by the Beanies on the fanwall about what happened this week, I really look forward to watching the episodes!

That's all for now. Everyone take care and have a great Friday.

@korfan Ooh yeah, that recording device in Confession ... so dusty. It had better feature as an important thing after the camera has zeroed in and lingered on it more than once!

Thanks for the Mother's Day wishes!

@growingbeautifully My thoughts exactly regarding the device! We've seen it too many times for it not to be of some significance. As a side note, I'm just amazed that no one in that dining establishment has dusted that area of the room ..... for 10 years!! 10!! 😲

@korfan Imagine if someone hit the wall hard enough, they'd have a snowstorm of dust balls peppering the food!

*laughing*

I know!! The whole time I keep on thinking, "Who's in charge of cleaning at Hwaye? It's a restaurant!! All corners should be spotless and dustless!!" ...... I suppose it should be bloodless also, but at least they've taken care of that it seems.

I worked in a few restaurants as a teen. It's actually sadly not that unrealistic that a place hasn't been deep cleaned for years. Companies and establishments across industries in general just clean and fix what can be seen with the naked eye as long as they're not caught. This includes hidden areas and machines. Unless Hwaye has a custodial staff like some corporates (unlikely, it's usually just waitstaff that does this stuff) some things can go untouched for years.

It's a miracle more people aren't seriously ill on a daily basis after restaurant visits.

Forgot to add. Unless there are big renovations, it's really apparent things arent getting properly cleaned from top to bottom when a restaurant is opened 6-7 out of 7 days a week. Waitstaff will the minimum.

i really should just sit back one day and marathon fiery priest. Honey Lee is one of my faves.

she's so cool and funny -- and she rocks those suits she wears in all shades of colors... love all the spring/summer colors in the wardrobes on the dramas these days. if i wore something that bright here in the PNW, i'd turn heads to be certain -- but looks of ridicule, not admiration...

I love seeing pops of color especially on grey days. No looks of ridicule from me.

Thank you @korfan for the early Mother’s Day greetings. 😘

@korfan @tofuetoffee @gemwendz

Confession - What do you know, we were just chatting about the recording device and Wahlah! :-D Ep 15.

Yaasss! I've said this before and I'll say it again - I love the pacing of this show. Everything our Dovengers need isn't shoved in front of them packed into the middle or just in the last episode. They've got bits and pieces everytime, enough to string the bad guys along and rile them up. It's satisfying to see this discovery and knowing that they have painstakingly now gathered the necessary pieces for a showdown in the final episode.

@growingbeautifully The only drama I am watching at the moment is HPL. I haven’t seen Confession yet as I am not much of a fan of legal drama unless the cast is one of my biases in kdrama. Is it good? Ratings seems to say yes.

@growingbeautifully I haven't watched the episode yet, but ok! Finally! Good to know.

Just got back from a cruise to Cuba, so I am a little behind on my shows. I am only on Episode 10 of Confession, 14 of Doctor Prisoner, 3 of Nokdu Flower, and just finished episode 2 of The Abyss.

I expect to be caught up by the end of the weekend ^^

Still my favorite is Doctor Prisoner, with Confession slide in at second. I finished Haechi and it was good but not rave worthy. I am coming up on my finals, so I am not going to add shows willy nilly, but if the right one comes along I know I won't be able to resist.

@sychotic1 Athena, glad you're like Confession too, and good that you're giving your finals some priority in your drama-watching life! :-)

Both Doctor Prisoner and Confession are fantastic. Glad you're enjoying them!

Cuba? Wow, how was the trip? I saw Battle Trip and 1N2D trips to Cuba, looked fascinating and relaxing. (a little sniff for 1N2D being gone these days . . .)

I saw that episode of 2D1N, and of course "the Boyfriend." It is quite beautiful and colorful, but quite poor. I would love to go back and spend a week there.

I want to watch kdramas but the Little One has decided that napping in the afternoon is optional....and meows for my attention if I try to watch one during waking time...

Oh well, thank goodness for dramabeans...

Finally finished that Psychometric guy this week though! Even though it had been predicted and foreshadowed, hyung's ending surprised me. I shoulda known when they kept flashing to Jisoo and the sunflowers before Kang Geun Taek got to her (sunflowers signify warmth, happiness, adoration and longevity according to Prof Google).

Hi Everyone and Happy OT and Happy Mothers' Day to fellow mums!

I actually do not expect my kids to do anything for Mothers' Day. They seem to have passed the first phase when they happily made stuff to give (usually these would be school projects!), and have yet to reach the age when they think more about others *eyeroll emoji*

Just had my new car serviced but I'm thinking the pick up (power) is not a good as before the servicing!? It should be the other way around or be the same. I'm going to wait until Monday before I 'complain'.

As for shows: I'm still enjoying the Head on Shoulder show. I've watched to almost the end and am beginning to believe that the last few episodes might be a bit lacking in conflict. Everyone is happily in relationship so there's nothing else except the little bickerings and misunderstandings to get through, I guess. However it's been fun watching what I feel is a slice of life on romance with some scenes seeming to be extended dating sequences. Relaxing and comforting!

Confession - Despite a few flaws, this show has been pretty good. A couple of things are puzzling but on the whole, my checklist of things I wanted in this show has been surprisingly fully check marked, so I'm extremely happy with how show is going. I look forward to an exciting and satisfying denouement.

Abyss - I mentioned it above thread. I'm hoping that time is given for us to start really liking the main characters, or else we're not going to be all that invested in their predicaments.

Thinking of starting another cdrama the one that several Beanies have mentioned and seem to like: Le Coup de Foudre. This one may end up as a slice of life of marriage! :-D

Looking forward to the final stretch of Confession also. At this stage of the show and with the way things have played out, I feel like anything can still happen. We'll see!

I hope everything is ok with your car. 🚗

This is how I feel about Confession. Even if some things aren't fully covered in the end, I think so far they have done well with fleshing the big things in 14/16 episodes without undermining the pacing or overall tone that I don't mind the leftovers. I bet if I were to marathon this drama (as I usually prefer to do) and didn't have so much time to think in between I wouldn't even have noticed the other bits.

@growingbeautifully, Happy Mothers' Day to you and other Beanie mums.

I think you'll enjoy Le Coup de Foudre. The characters are very well written and acted, and the various relationship dynamics make the show such a delightful watch (so far). There's even a stepdad who just beats many dramaland parents hands down.

I'm so shallow - I won't watch Le Coup de Foudre because the leads were in Oriental Odyssey and I didn't like them together. He was the 2nd male lead and many fans thought they should've ended up together instead of her and Mu Le. I couldn't take that, so now I'm prejudiced against him. It might take up to a year to get over it. My excuse is since I'm a Scorpio I tend to keep dislikes and grudges for a long, long time.

That "time" aspect is what is important to me right now. It does seem to be going into plot mode a bit too quickly but i am liking it.

I'm watching Le Coup de Foudre. It's entertaining enough, but the production values are really awful. The costumes are ugly, the camera work is distracting. The scenery is blah. And I particularly hate the way the 2006 background part of the story looks like it has a white film over everything. Or maybe that's the cinematographer's personal opinion of being "creative" with his filming, but whatever, it's just a really unattractive, cheap looking visual experience for me.

I am watching Put Your Head on my Shoulder, and like it much better, plus it's much more visually appealing in every way.

I also watched the film, Love O2O. I MUCH prefer every single actor cast in the TV drama series with one exception: oh how very much I wish the TV drama had cast Angelababy as Bei Weiwei. She was beautiful and feisty, and convincing in the love scenes, unlike the actress in the TV drama, who was ditzy and giggly, looked like a terrified sexual assault victim every time Yang Yang got close to her, and was so cadaverously thin that she couldn't even wear a swimsuit at the pool scenes. She came close to ruining the drama, and seeing how great Angelababy was in the role made me a little sad. I really liked Love O2O (the side story of Hao Mei and KO, played by Zheng Yecheng and Zhang Binbin, was so adorable!), and having a better cast female lead would have made it perfect.

Exceptionally cold May we have this year, more time for dramas, but new offerings didn't catch my attention this week. Save Me 2 look a bit promising, I actually didn't watch first season, due to my dislike of Taecyeon acting. On the downside the cold make me eat more so no chance in losing that winter kg yet.

eenie meenie chili beanie here, too. But that's about to change this weekend! I love summer!

I liked Save Me 2. Lead actor is good and his character is interesting.

@shach After Taecyeon appeared with Kim So-Hyun in Let's Fight Ghost, his acting became a lot more credible. It was like she washed away the awkwardness he had at becoming other characters. In Let's Fight Ghost, there was such a connection between the two characters that as a team they were terrific and very believable. I was afraid that once he was no longer acting with her that his acting would once again become awkward. But that didn't happen. He really did well in Save Me. He had come onto his own. Maybe give him another try some day when you are bored and can risk wasting time.

To all the beanies who still have cold weather, would you like to trade. It’s 42 degrees C where am I am ( 107-110 F.) it’s hoooooott 🥵 🔥.

That is definitely hot. Take care, stay cool and hydrated!

80s in seattle this weekend... i'm melting, but my recently planted tomatoes and herbs are loving it!
: )

I'm loving it too! One more day!

Happy weekend Beanies!
The word of the week is blurry. I just got back from my yearly optometrist appointment, and some droplets made my pupils all wide, and creepily black. My sight will be back to normal by tomorrow, but the temporary blur is annoying. Next week I am visiting the optician’s office again. I wonder if the cute specs dongsaeng from last year is still around ;)

Work life is blurry as well. Last week I feared for my job because I was deemed too slow, this week everybody pretended nothing of that sort happened, so I wisely joined in on the charade. Yes, I am still doing the same task, and no I did not manage to speed up. However, I took some notes from the work manuals and consulted some colleagues, so I learned quite some handy tricks and became better at the job. If they keep delaying my formation, then I want to at least improve and do useful work on my own every week. Thank god they do not delay their paychecks or employee benefits. :P I hope that this is just a small setback before the formation and the real work adventure starts.

My biggest challenge is getting enough sleep. I noticed that I lacked sleep because I regularly broke my curfew studying Korean, watching Romance is a Bonus Book and reading books or Dramabeans articles. After finally finishing Romance and my book chapters last weekend, I decided to try a distraction hiatus this week…which ended up being what I actually do whenever I am in school or working anyway. :) There is simply so much to take care of after school/work hours and so little energy left, that sleeping sort of becomes the only hobby for me during those times.

My only condition is that I want to be able to catch up on Her Private Life and enjoy some Korean lessons and Modern Farmer episodes with my friend during the weekends. As much as I want to catch up on Special Labor Inspector Jo or start any other spring romcom as well, there is simply no time for me to do so. :(

Glad it's still status quo and hopeful in the office @turtuallysarcastic. Good that you've taken the initiative and are showing your interest in the job. There are usually tips and tricks that the experienced staff will know and hopefully they are willing to share.

Sleep is more important than all the other stuff actually. Not enough sleep and getting sick gets easier. The weird weather and temperatures don't help. Take care of yourself!

Time for me to hit the sack too!! Good night!

As an night owl, having a curfew has always been a nightmare (ha!) for me. I used to sleep without waking up once, but nowadays I wake up during the night and then about 15 minutes before my alarm goes off. I guess my body finally realizes that I am no longer a teenager ;)

Wow, I don't even own an alarm clock. The perks of being semi-retired.

well, i have that biological (gotta pee) "alarm clock" that refuses to let me sleep in as late as i want... the pitfall of being of semi-retirement age....
*sighs*

"Simply no time" - that has been my problem as long as I remember - my social life had to suffer the most. Modern Farmer? I enjoyed it and Honey Lee was great in it. (I disliked the toilet humor tho). btw Hope you get to have full sleep (drama won't go anywhere).

Not too fond of toilet humor either, but I love the absurd humor, the musical cues and the great cast of Modern Farmer :) Interacting at work is enough social life for me, so I enjoy weekends with K-dramas and solitude. Maybe someday I can do that on week evenings too, but everything at its own time ;)

Ive been following your story @turtuallysarcastic. Just soldier on! You're still new to the job; it takes time to get adjusted. Interesting, I have recently been moved off the watch list for my eye condition, after several years monitoring. It's good. They always advise bringing someone for the tests as you cannot drive after. But never really affected me.
Sleep is important. I recently convinced a friend to get this 'fit' watch I just impulsed bought (mainly for being a third or less in price for those watches in the market) because it has a sleep monitor (which you get in the phone-app). She is waxing praises on my advice; so glad I helped another human. It tells you how much of your sleep is deep or light. I try to find my pattern and can think of some. I get deeper sleep if I do my exercise/walk after dinner or eat heavier than usual, that kind of thing. don't know how scientific it is but whatever works is fine.

@merry Sounds like a swell watch to own! My main watch has bit the dust. I've got only 1 that is working but the strap should be changed ... should I look for a new interesting 'fit' watch that does sleep checks? It works with an app? Not inexpensive I guess?

not expensive at all. my conversion says around Sg44(?). I can think of more expensive dinners than that. I don't like to make public product endorsements, but it has mi as name. app works of any android.

Thank you for the support! I always feel like I annoy all Beanies with my stories, but posting them is a good exercise on self-reflection. :)
I am glad the tests never affected your driving. I do not have a license, but I needed help because I could not estimate anything properly. Walls looked far away, and yet I bumped into them, letters and numbers looked as if the ink was smudged....glad I can see clear again! :)

I'm glad this week went better! As you adjust you might find a little more time for dramas. Hwaiting!

Thank you dear friend! A little more sleep and clarity will do for now. :)

Hey there, beanies! TGIF, right? I can breathe a sigh of relief after submitting a side job that I completed this week. I am part of an art journal exchange and I have two backed up that I need to work on. It's really fun - the group is made up of 12 people (which equals a year long project) each who creates a work of art in another person's journal and mails it (book rate, $3.48) to the next person, etc. The project will wrap up in August, and I will have the original journal with art pieces from 12 different people returned to me. And I get to create 12 art works too. Can't wait!

K-dramas: Her Private Life confession - forgot how much I love those kissing scenes. (Remember the fountain kiss scene in Love Rain?)
Just started Secret Life of My Secretary, still watching Doctor Prisoner, and rewatching LEt's Eat 3. Du Joon is my favorite actor in this. I'd forgotten the clever mention of Highlight and Beast as names for their soccer team in this kdrama. I have come to love Radio Star, Happy Together, Immortal Songs 2, Masked Singer, Sketchbook, Aks Us Anything, and Take Care of My Refrigerator as shows to meet celebs and get to know a little about them. Some are lesser known, but Korea is a small country and celebs are a big deal there - at least in Seoul.
The other night we made bibimbap and I heartily yelled, bashit-da!

Had to show my love for the Live Rain Fountain Kiss, that’s an oldie but a goodie!

And Doojoon and Highlight meta references! Thanks for making me smile!

Hi @ally-le Ally. I have missed it but did you (or do you) have any thoughts on the new drama ABYSS. I was just wondering if you and the family discussed it with your adopted son Chan before he committed to the drama.

It must be very hard at that age to pass on the offer of a lead role. I am a fan of both Park Bo-young and Ahn Hyo-seop and I wish them both luck with their new drama ABYSS. I picked up 30B17 because of your recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I haven’t watched the early episodes yet because I will be traveling for 2 weeks and will be out of kdrama touch but I will try to pick it up when I return home. The early DB return on ABYSS seem to be mixed. A plus is it’s availability on Netflix.

I’m thinking of picking it up when I go on vacation and Chan (AHS) made a great choice with PBY as his co-star! We’ll see. I think if they make a compelling story about life and death like Goblin did, it should do well. That’s funny when you say that traveling takes you away from kdramas, because I tend to watch more when I travel!

Back after sometime of being inactive on DB thanks to my kdrama slump.

I've picked up Abyss yesterday, it wasn't good enough of a plot to make me continue to the 2nd episode and also the characters aren't likeable enough for me to keep watching. The concept of reviving a dead person back to life with a glowing ball is interesting but the plot overall isn't that good enough to continue watching so I'm dropping it.

I've pick up where I left off on Shopping King Louis last week and I find that I'm still not feeling it so I put that on hold once again after I've finished the 2nd episode. I'm thinking of picking up Marriage Contract or The Light In Your Eyes this weekend, haven't decided on which one yet.

Have a good weekend, everybody!

Talk about a kdrama slump. Mine is so bad I've taken a hiatus from them and am watching C-dramas instead. I got tired of the angst, pathos, yelling over-the-top emotions, and that's why I loved kdramas to begin with. I just needed something more calm for awhile. C-dramas are usually a lot less outwardly emotional and calmer.
With the exception of The Evolution of Our Love. There was some arguing and screaming a bit in that one. What's interesting (?) is people hated this drama. It only got like 8.6 on Viki or something, but it's become my favorite relationship drama. Go figure. I seem to usually like low rated dramas and don't like highly rated dramas!

Hmm I am doing the same ie watching Chinese dramas and also noticed that I enjoy the lower rated shows. Go figure!

Oh, you're totally right about Low rated shows being usually better than high rated shows because low rated shows tend to be more story driven, wheras the high rated shows just focus on drama to entertain their audience which I know is the point of Kdrama but that shouldn't be the only element. If it's the only element of the show, that's how you know it's not going to be great.

I would like to know if there are any good C-drama you can recommend to me as long they're not too long.

Hmm...not sure I agree about the low rated shows being more story driven. I'll have to give that more thought!
"...as long as they're not too long..." ha! Not too long is a bit subjective. Since C-dramas are usually only 45 minutes and then you take into account that 45 minutes includes pre and post music, each episode is really only about 40 minutes, then that seems a bit shorter than the over an hour long kdrama. So a 60 episode drama isn't really that long...??
But here goes, I'll just list my favorites lately (some are quite good, some not so good but I liked them anyway):
Wu Xin: Monster Killer. (20 episodes) Sad end.
The Legends (Xu Kai). subtle humor.
Bloody Romance: sadistic
Evolution of Our Love: I could relate
Golden Eyes: lesson on valuable artifacts
Love Me If You Dare: Wallace Huo
Only Side by Side With You: drones @ Wm Chan
Medical Examiner Dr Qin: 20 eps, Xuang Ruoyun
Age of Legends: really bad but I liked it
All Time Favorites:
Wu Xin, NIF2, Legend of Fuyao.
Movie: The Wandering Earth. China's first sci fi movie, epic (but really bad imo). So why am I going to watch it again???
Most of the above listed aren't on anybody's else's "like" list as far as I know...I usually get a response like "I tried your recommendation, but eh, no, I didn't like it..."
Good hunting!

Oops, I left out one of my all time favorites:
An Oriental Odyssey. Quite campy.

Welcome to the club of people liking low-rated dramas lol.

Clearly there are some low-rated dramas that are just awful, but other ones get lower rates because they have more 'challenging' stories or subjects, or viewers expected the drama to just be 'cute' and didn't enjoy the more realistic story.

Whereas I love those.

Probably the lowest rated (on Viki) one is 8.0 and it's one of my favorites - Mawang (The Lucifer/The Devil).

I really like The Producers (8.4), Twelve Nights (8.2) and I Do, I Do (3.2 on DB)

Currently watching Her Private Life - just the tonic I need after this crazy week at work. Can't wait to complete this week's episodes!

By the by, are there are any beanies who live in London? My friend (also a k-drama fan) and I would like to plan a meet up with any London beanies. We can get barbecue and soju and discuss how good Kim Jae Wook's license photo is...

@saya is in London and has Beanie meetups semiregularly, I believe. She’s on twitter @notnowsaya where you may be able to communicate more with her as well.

Thanks for this. Is this @saya of Drama over Flowers podcast?

Oh cool! Well if there are other London beanies out there it would be cool to get to know you!

I forgot to include that I am currently watching BTS run! on Vlive and it is hella delightful. Their variety show shenanigans is quite hilarious.

thanks for the heads-up @ally-le! (Also you give me far too much credit - I go along to stuff other people organise because I am lazy like that!)

@corneliafudge I'm out of commission for the moment but I highly recommend @cloggie and @unatuna for making things happen! There may be something planned for later in the month - are you a local, or passing through?

Hi Saya!

I am a local. Thanks for the suggestions :) I am not the best organiser, but I think it would be great to meet up with some fellow beanies. Hopefully when you have more time in the future we can meet!

I'm in London and am definitely up for a meet-up

Hi Cloggie

I am new around here so I don't know everyone else. Not sure what everyone's availability is but I am up for a meet up if you guys are.

TGIF! Happy Mother's day for all mothers (and mothers-to-be)! I'm just happy for another weekend when I can catch-up with dramas I couldn't watch during weekdays. Even though we don't have a crack drama, I'm glad we have variety of dramas these days- roncom, fantasy, thriller, thought-provoker, sageuk(and the like), or simply feel-good ones. I used to be able to squeeze one family/long weekend drama in, but I can't these days because there is a C-drama(and/or J-drama) I watch too. Too bad I have to make choices- Who'd thought I'd have headache deciding which one to watch. Gah, talking about No 1 world problem.

There are actors who appear in more than one project in recent shows playing different character (evil and good?), confusing viewers like me -Choi Won-young (Dr.Prisoner, Nokdu flower), Yoo Jae-myung (My fellow citizens, Confession). And there are also actors who show consistent character giving familiar feeling. One of such actors is Kim Sang-ho who plays Han Ye-ri's assistant Deok-ki in Nokdu flower (after playing Joo Ji-hoon's assi in Kingdom). I looked up his interviews and a few were done when the film "Witness" opened in the theater in August last year.

Kim Sang-ho (49) was born in Kyung-joo, Kyung-sang province, and high school graduate with GED. He met his wife when she worked in the library and ran a ramen restaurant before he moved to Seoul to pursue acting career. (He said marrying his wife and becoming an actor were two biggest achievements in his life) He debuted in the musical "Fiddler on the Roof" in 1987, and the play "Jongro Cat" in 1994. His filmography is long but bio is short- nothing much on the personal side. Kim is known as an all-weather actor with no genre or character. He won Best Supporting Actor at the 2012 KBS Drama Awards for his performance in "My Husband Got a Family". He film debut was with The Last Witness in 2001, and continuously did the films including recent The Witness, The Negotiation(2018) and Package(2019), as well as dramas starting with The Kingdom of the Winds in 2008 to recent Missing9, The Lookout(2017) and Kingdom, Nokdu flower (2019).

[mk.co.kr/Daily Economic Star Today, newsen, dailian, 2018.08.10-19] In the film "Witness", Kim plays a detective who follows the killer in an apartment complex. "I sympathized with the collective selfishness my character clashed into." Kim said, "I was happy because he was different from detectives in other movies. They usually go to the scene, find the clues and start looking for the killer, but here he is blocked by collective egoism and can't chase the killer."

"Witness" describe a situation in which murder occurs in the middle of an apartment complex, but residents do not cooperate with the police with the reason like they do not want to be involved in mischief or the price of the house would fall. (Me thinks this can be a drama too- Didn't we see this in Sky Castle too?) Kim plays detective Lee Chung-ho who finds a witness "Sang-hoon" (Lee Sung-min) among the people who are tighly lipped, and becomes busybody to open the witness's mouth. Kim said it was appealing to show how public power was powerless in front of group selfishness. Despite the fact that hundreds of households are living there, there is not a single witness, and when he finds potential witnesses they refuse to testify. "The scariest thing was the person. It was not as visible as the horror of the ruthless murderer, but the fear of some collective selfishness was substantial. Actually, the situation of all the characters appearing in the film was so realistic that you can't be not engrossed. So all the actors seemed to feel like the real situation- One day, a terrible murder in the middle of an apartment complex. I saw the murder scene, and the murderer saw me- I became a witness who cannot tell the truth because being threatened with family.- Who can easily report it in that situation?" The film contains situations that can happen for anyone. "It is so realistic that we called "experience thriller".

"When I had scenarios at first, I liked the charming genre of the thriller, the resolve not to be shaken by temptation, and the alarming immersion. It was even more attractive because of the setup a residential space which has to be friendly and cozy, the safest place has become a target of fear and threat, and the setting contains a cruel aspect of reality so vividly, not a fiction."
Kim said that he had a strange experience of courage building up doing the film. "At first, I thought of course I can't report it thinking of my family and my wife. But as I worked on the film and watched it as an audience, my thought changed. If it is a fear that can't be avoided, we are all safe only when we finally catch the culprit. I thought, "Nevertheless, I have to report it." Not because of some justice or sense of duty, but ultimately to protect people precious and you are afraid to lose. I think that's the strength of this film."

Kim said he also lives in an apartment which he bought earlier this year. He said he is not worried about the price of the house going up and down, but he can fully sympathize with the feelings of being afraid to be retaliated by the perpetrator. "Even if the same thing happens in our apartment, I don't think I will worry about the price of the house, because it's enough for me for my wife and kids to have a protected space, but I'd feel scared when I think someone can invade that space."

The movie does not explain the serial killer Tai-ho(played by Kwak Si-yang). At the end he is described as "Like people eating rice when they are hungry, he just killed a person. There is no logic." When asked about the acting breath with Kwok Si-yang, Kim said "I remember his confident image. Sung-min hyung said he is "Sexy actor" looking at Si-yang, and I agree with him." For working chemistry with Lee Sung-min, Kim said, "It is always comfortable to work with a person who is acting well."

Kim picked "comfort" as "Advantage of actor Kim Sang-ho". He said he hears he is a rural person when he is in the countryside, and the local when he is in overseas. What if the role of a Psychopath is offered? "I think I'll ask the director-nim. I would take the role if the character is understandable and sympathetic. Directors seem to have both sharp eyes and strange desire. Because of my humane appearance, they suggest such roles, but because of such image, they have a "desire to twist" and give me a villain role. I accept any role with gratitude. I am happy I can do various works." Kim has been acting for a long time and has already received a lot of praise from his accumulated experience. "I feel happiest when I hear I am good at acting". He added, "As with all actors, once take on a role, I try to be that person. I study fiercely. (In my case), I tried to be most faithful to the script that appeared in the scenario."

Is it because of such mind? His performance is filled with sincerity, and makes it easy for viewers to immerse and feel relatable. His name is preceded by the qualification of "luxury/brand name supporting role". Kim doesn't like the term. "Of course, I know it has a good meaning, but I dislike the word "luxury support role". When there is no "Luxury lead role" why having such word for supporting role. I do not know how to interpret the word. Does that mean there is cheap supporting role? or does it mean that there is middle class supporting role, too? Rather, It would be nice to hear "strange" when you take on a strange character, "scary" if you play a scary role, and "warm" if you play a caring role. Wouldn't it be the biggest complement when the word fits the role?"

When Kim Sang-ho's face appears in a movie or drama, the audience feels relieved. His acting skills have been recognized through numerous works but he expressed himself as "an actor still in the process." "I am embarrassed and see lacking parts every time I watch my acting. Apart from age or my career, I am still walking. I want to grow a lot through more diverse experiences."
When asked if he has greed for the lead actor, Kim responded, "I would like to play the lead, of course. How nice it would be if several billion won is invested in the name of Kim Sang Ho? However, playing the lead is not the ultimate goal as an actor. It's just a process. It is just one role passing in my acting life. And the station I want...

...to reach eventually is the role "Good actor". I do not want to stop at the station "lead role", even though I want to get to that station. I'd like to be an actor who hears "He is a good actor" or "I feel good when I see the actor." if I could."

When asked "What is a good actor?" Kim said "An actor who is remembered as fun and acting well. I do not know what it means to be acting well, but I hope the audience will have fun watching my acting. My goal is that people, after working hard, get comforted watching a movie or drama I have starred in. Of course it is ok having fun cursing me. I think I would be a good actor if people remember me like "He was fun, he acted deliciously, and he was good. When I watched him, time flew." when I quit being an actor. I cannot get there now. It is a dream that can be achieved later after I'm gone."

Kim is a graduate of middle school as his final formal education. He attended high school twice because he had to work due to family's financial situation. "I had to make money because my family was poor. When my friends were high school senior, I was a freshman again. I worried about what I should do to make a living, and I thought "I should leave a trace living in this world." So I decided to become an actor. When I first joined the theater house, they asked "Why San-ho ssi does the acting?" I remember I said "I will make money. I am confident I can make money with my acting."

Kim has played his characters with a unique charm and has been attracting attention as a scene stealer in films and dramas. When asked why the works keep coming in all the time, he said, "How can I say that it is because I am acting well with my mouth?" Even though he plays a scary evil role, he is still "favorable actor" which is his advantage. "I wonder if my eyes look innocent even if I play all sorts of evil deeds. I think they resemble cow's eyes. Of course I'm not that naive now."

Kim said that he loves his job as an actor. "It's fun to make a scene, make it a bit more precise, and make it through the process of asking myself if it makes sense to me. I feel great when good results come out. Because I always try my best I tend to feel less stressed. For TV drama, it is fun interacting with viewers real time, and making it together. For films, I feel strange catharsis when the result is good." Kim accomplished the promise he made in the past, "Since I am an actor they say I am a person who already achieved my dream, but no, I am in the process. I wonder- When I die, will I be viewed as "A person who left after having achieved his dream." .

KSH fighting! He is one of actors I think we will see for a long time. Lee Sung-min, Kwak Si-yang- One trend I like recent years is that we can see same faces we are familiar with from dramas in films too.

Thanks fan for putting the spotlight on actor Kim Sang-ho. He probably was my first recognizable kdrama character actor. He appeared in 3 of my first 6 kdramas: TEN, TEN 2 and CITY HUNTER.
He came from a very poor background but is rich in that he found the 2 loves of his life: his wife and acting. Lovely.

HELL YAH I was waiting for this all week!!!!!

You. Guys. I'm in dire need of help. I just finished Haechi and That Psychometric guy and I don't know what to watch anymore!! I'm currently on Her Private Life (which KJW is just mmmm delicious), but I just started my college summer breaks and those are LONG so I don't know what to watch anymore!!! Please, please, PLEASE get those recommendations coming my way cause I actually might die of boredom. I don't want to get started on new dramas so if you can please recommend me oldies but goodies. Thanks!

What kind of dramas di you like?
K-drama recommendations:
Life on mars, avengers social club

J-drama recommendation:
Kyoko fukada's latest drama with the looooongest title ever... I'll google it and get back to you later

Movie recommendation:
Extreme job

Variety show:
Return of superman (park gunhoo is boss baby)

The title is "Hajimete Koi o Shita Hi ni Yomu Hanashi". Another drama that I would like to recommend is "Tonari no Kazoku wa Aoku Mieru"

Storm Cursed. It came out on Tuesday.

So, I was all set to start working full time in retail. I had given myself a pep talk and said that it was only temporary and that I would soon enough find myself in an overly cold library. It will be fine.

I had my first day. I was there for 8 hours. 7.5 of those hours was sitting in the back taking the most redundant courses on how to retail in the entire world. None of the videos had actual actors---it was just weird photographs that they kind of made dance across the screen? Should have been my first sign that the kids weren't all right.

So, my last 10 minutes I tracked down the store manager. He had promised me a department head full time position. I was excited. I love their home goods section and I felt like this would be a passable way to spend a few months since it takes months to get into the library system. And, most importantly, I'd be able to keep my bills paid. When I left for my lunch break I saw that they had a table set in the front of the store saying that they were hiring department heads ASAP, full time with benefits. During these last 10 minutes I asked the store manager when I would get started with one of those positions. He looked uncomfortable. He shifted in his seat. And then he says that I can't have one of those after all because my older brother is only part time in the store and if they made me full time they would have to make him full time and he doesnt want to be full time. Now, the department head of home goods has NO AUTHORITY whatsoever over ANYTHING. I would not be in charge of scheduling people in my section---literally all it means is that I would spend my 8 hours in the store keeping that area exclusively clean and organized, making sure that the back of the house area was neat and organized and easy to locate things to be replenished. And know the price of stuff. Thats it. How do I know? BECAUSE THATS WHAT HE TOLD ME THE DAY HE OFFERED IT TO ME.

So. He told me that the most he could get me is 20 hours a week. Maybe. Hopefully.

I went to indeed.com the very next morning and applied for EVERYTHING I could get my mouse on. I was offered a position at a Montessori school the morning that I interviewed--on the spot. The director offered my assistant teacher--the highest position you can hold without a degree in Montessori education for the 3-5 year olds. Making 25 cents an hour MORE than when I was working in the library. Then she introduced me to someone else and said that this person would be my boss and walked away.

I started the next morning. My boss said that I was NOT an assistant teacher. That I was going to float between the pre-k classes. She then said that my schedule would hoover around 37.5 hours a week---as long as I didnt take a lunch. Lunch isn't paid for so you have to sign out, so you can choose to not have a lunch or have a lunch and only get paid for 34 hours. And then she said I get benefits but they dont kick in until 30 days after I work 40 hours a week...

And then she said I get benefits but they dont kick in until 30 days after I work 40 hours a week consecutively.

This is NOT what I was told.

I was told that as the assistant teacher I would be in charge of the afternoon in my classroom--so, I'd do an enhanced storytime: read and sing songs for an hour and then do activities to enhance the reading and then free play/outside until the parents came to pick them up. My first day I spent 4 hours outside (it was FREEZING out to this KY girl) The teacher left and I had no idea who was actually in charge of my classroom but one assistant would tell me to do something and the other assistant would tell me that I wasnt allowed to do that because I hadnt been trained yet.

Yesterday was my second day. I told my "boss" this. She said--and I shit you not--that its "too complicated" to try and train people so just jump in. And do whatever. And then she told me the order to go around and give people their breaks. Ok. I would ask the assistant teachers and lead teacher around me if I should be doing something---oh, just stand there. And then they would get PISSED at me (like red in the face snapping at me) and go off in a corner and talk about how Im useless.
This is my SECOND DAY.

The second classroom that I was in I was told to help the kids in the bathroom. I told the woman in the room I was told yesterday I wasnt supposed to do that because I hadn't had some sort of training (that Im apparently never going to get....?) and she told me its fine. Just help them. So, I did.

You guys. I was hired in off the freaking street. I put my app in the day before and was hired on the spot. No background checks were done. I didnt have to go and submit to fingerprints anywhere. Now, Im a good person. Ive never hurt a child and never would. BUT NOT ALL PEOPLE ARE LIKE THAT. You hear about child abuse EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I am HORRIFIED that they are letting some unknown person alone in the bathroom with kids.

For two hours during the littles naptime my job was to go from child to child and rub their backs to help them get to sleep. There were 3 who flat out refused. They werent tired. I could respect that. So, I told them that they could sit quietly on their mats. So thats what they were doing. It was easier than going between the three and slamming them down and yelling at them to sleep. But about AN HOUR in to this one of the teachers (who had left me alone in that room with 27 sleeping and 3 awake babies) came in and YELLED at the 3 not sleeping that they can go to this other room if they cant sleep and DID THEY WANT THAT? And then she glared at me like I was supposed to know to threaten them.

And when it was time to hand the kids their homework back she threw it at them. It was the most disrespectful thing I have ever seen. She kept saying she was tired so I hope thats the case and shes not really a monster who treats kids like crap on the reg.

Siiiiiiiiigh

Gosh! what a horrid experience you had this week. I really wish you'll find something better soon.

Sounds like the school and the Principal/Directresses should be reported. This is absolutely not the way a school is to be run and of all things a Montessori one, where children are supposed to be especially respected.

Thats what I've always heard about Montessori and I was really excited to learn more about the process but Im not convinced that what they are doing is really Montessori. It reminds me of how business people put "Amish" on their products because people know that the Amish make good stuff but they aren't Amish at all.

I'm guessing that they are not true Montessori. They're just using the name as you say, so that they can charge more as well. I hope you can get an alternative job soon, a school that treats the children and staff without integrity will be untenable to work in for long!

Guys guys, uff just uff!! I have no words to describe the amaziness of this group!! Like honestly I felt like my reaction to this performance is just like the audience. XD <3
Sorry beanies, that I am sharing it like just a link, but it’s safe I hopefully promise. The fanwall just won’t accept it. ☹

Not sure if I have a MyDay 6th sense or what, but I clicked on this just out of random curiosity and was very pleasantly surprised! DAY6 are ❤️

Heh, that would be an awesome sense to have. ;)
I'm glad you watched and enjoyed.
I just couldn't help but share. <3