Premiere Watch: The Wind Blows, Arthdal Chronicles
Epic sorrow and epic action await us in our two latest dramas.
The Wind Blows
Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Genre: Melo, romance
Episode count: 16 episodes
Reasons to watch: Could it be second time’s the charm for the leading couple in The Wind Blows? Kam Woo-sung and Kim Haneul star as two people who never quite fell out of love–despite a divorce. The pair are happily married when a shocking Alzheimer’s diagnosis prompts Kam Woo-sung to suddenly divorce Kim Haneul. It’s meant as an act of love, so as not to burden his wife, but the effects are devastating for both of them. Just a few years later, the former couple meet again and realize their love for each other never faded. My love for the Kam-Kim duo is such that it’s overcome my slight aversion for melos. (I get way too invested and depressed while watching them–I’m still recovering from Hundred Million Stars!) Of course, if you love melos you know you’ll be in good hands with Kam Woo-sung and Kim Haneul as your leads.
Time slot: Saturday & Sunday
Genre: Fantasy, historical
Episode count: 18 episodes
Reasons to watch: The long-awaited epic saga Arthdal Chronicles is finally here! Set against the backdrop of ancient Korea, the drama will tell a fictionalized version of the founding of Korea’s Gojoseon Kingdom. The fantasy drama boasts a star-studded cast, with the main players–Jang Dong-gun, Kim Ok-bin, Song Joong-ki, and Kim Ji-won–facing off and creating alliances in the struggle to establish their claim to power. While our protagonists make war and try to survive, who will ultimately rule? While I was, and still am, looking forward to watching the drama, the teasers had me a bit concerned. The style all looked a bit too liberally “borrowed” from Game of Thrones. But I’m ever the optimist; with PD Kim Won-seok (My Ajusshi) and such a phenomenal cast, it can’t hurt to expect the best, right?
- Kim Ok-bin dreams of bringing a city to its knees in tvN’s Arthdal Chronicles
- Two great warriors fight for an ancient city in tvN’s Arthdal Chronicles
- Warriors assemble for Song Joong-ki, Jang Dong-gun in tvN’s Arthdal Chronicles
- Romance and sunshine for Kam Woo-sung and Kim Haneul in The Wind Blows
- Reimagining the birth of an ancient empire in tvN’s Asadal Chronicles
- Kam Woo-sung and Kim Haneul cast in new JTBC melo The Wind Blows
- Blockbuster drama Asadal Chronicle lines up Song Joong-ki, Kim Ji-won, Jang Dong-gun, Kim Ok-bin