Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

mary

Angel’s Last Mission: Love: Jang Hyun-sung! I was so happy to find him in a squishy role right after Doctor Prisoner. I even got the decks swabbed and the sails set for shipping him with the Household Secretary(?) Alas… *sigh* Anyway, Shin Hye-sun is great as the ice princess (is she ever not great though?) I like that she’s so unlikeable on the outside that even the angel has trouble understanding her. I haven’t seen L in anything since Shut Up Flower Boy Band so I’m pleasantly surprised at how lively he is here. He can be a bit too kooky for others’ tastes, but he reminds me of the prissy Scheduler from 49 Days–except his fatal flaw is the opposite: he cannot *not* interfere in human business. Which is great because there’s a certain girl that needs lots of intervention, though she wouldn’t ever admit it.

Special Labor Inspector Jo: Two more allies! I’m eh at the corrupt labor inspector joining the team though. It just seemed out of character for him to suddenly care. He’s never been conflicted about being mercenary and selling everyone out before unlike, say, Do-ha who’s always torn between doing what’s good versus pandering to power. As for Ha Ji-man, he’s always been a conscientious (if a tad too careful) mentor to Jo Jang-poong, so I welcome him “officially” joining the team poster this week. Can you believe this show is ending next week though? I feel like this honest but optimistic take on societal problems can go on for a long time and I’d watch it happily like a weekend drama.

The Great Escape: I checked out the first two episodes of season 1 and my feelings about Kang Ho-dong haven’t changed. His desperation for screentime still comes off a bit too strong. He also seems always on the verge of a tantrum which makes me anxious. That being said, I’m staying with the show because the behind-the-scenes work is cool. The props and the puzzles have so much thought behind them. As someone whose work happens mostly under the hood, the isolation can be difficult. I’ll sometimes hide stuff in plain sight and giggle by myself, but the payoff when someone interacts with those tiny details is so great. That’s why the locked fried chicken and the fake posters had me laughing. This show gives me secondhand satisfaction from the tricks and pranks the production team is pulling on the escape team. If I’m having this much fun from the first two episodes where it’s obvious that they’re still figuring out their concept, how much more fun will it be as the season continues? 🙂

Laica

Her Private Life: What a wonderful show this was! I’m so sad it’s over. Time to rewatch! …Okay, I kid. But really, I want to pretend that the last few seconds of episode 14 don’t exist, and that the drama ended right then—because that would make this a perfect rom-com. A unicorn. (Sort of like Top Star Yoo Baek, but even better.) We have a satisfying resolution to every single plot thread, including the story of Ryan’s childhood abandonment and his painting slump, which I had doubts that they could pull off. I even cried, because Lee Il-hwa is our Answer Me mom. And we’ve seen the relationship between Deok-mi and her Lion slowly, beautifully blossom, a perfect balance of explosive physical chemistry and an even more swoonworthy growing intimacy, all without losing the initial spark or succumbing to the dreaded Episode 12 Curse. I even loved how the formerly hateful Eun-gi came to terms with his feelings for Deok-mi—his promise to her of lifelong friendship actually had me tearing up. This weird childhood connection between Deok-mi’s family and Ryan will cause all sorts of horrible conversations and is neither needed nor logical. It adds nothing to these two’s already very touching and romantic love story to have them be able to overcome the fact that her mother did a Bad Thing to him a long time ago. I found it far more moving to witness the way they found the bravery to be honest about their feelings, how they listened to each other’s inner scars and triumphs and created happiness for each other. The way that Deok-mi showed Ryan how to start drawing again may be the most beautiful act of love I’ve seen between a couple in a drama for a very long time. So yes, I’ll watch the finale because there’s bound to be an excess of cuteness, but this drama is one more example of the fact that 16 episodes is too long for a rom-com.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: The premise of this one sounded crazy, but I checked it out because I will watch Kim Young-kwang in anything after his tour de force performance in Lookout, and because Jin Ki-joo is clearly a rising talent. Four epsiodes in, it is crazy, but in the best way. This may be another iteration of the poor-little-rich-boy, exacting boss falling in love with his overworked secretary, but the addition of Min-ik’s sudden onset of face blindness and Gal-hee as the only one he can recognize means that he has to very quickly eat some very humble pie—as he deserves. I think my favorite thing is how this means he’s telling her things that would normally sound romantic: “You’re the only one I can see,” and “Everyone except you is a blur,” except that he means it all literally. And now that Gal-hee has established her secret life as the chaebol heiress he thinks he’s falling in love with, she’s put herself on the path for both romance and heartbreak. Not only are the lead actors killing it, but the drama does an excellent job of balancing laugh-out-loud humor with genuine pathos, and giving us some really great character moments in the process. I was dying of laughter during Gal-hee’s drunken march of revenge, as she sets off to kill her ex-boss along with her outraged fellow secretaries, baseball bat in hand. But there’s also her genuine devastation when Gal-hee realizes that Min-ik is firing her even though she’s spent the last year denying her own personhood to serve him; or the awful moment when Min-ik realizes that he may never be able to see anyone’s face again, and he breaks down like a little boy in the doctor’s arms. Both of these felt painful to witness, almost voyeuristic, without feeling out of place in a rom-com—a testament to the way the drama balances its tone. It’s early days so the show could easily go sideways, especially given how much oxygen company politics takes up. But for now, I’m waiting for Min-ik to fall in love—and realize he’s been looking at the same face this whole time.

missvictrix

One Spring Night: Excuse me while I SPAZZ! I don’t think I was as burned as most from Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food (or I forgave them already), so I have been really curious/looking forward to this drama. Even though I’m behind in 20 other dramas that need watching, I put it all on hold for the premiere week of this drama — hence the spazzing. I can’t get over how consistent the tone/palette of the team behind this drama is. It’s not that I adore it, it’s just that it gets to me, or gets under my skin, in some way I can’t even articulate. And it sticks to me like glue. It happened for Pretty Noona and it’s happening again for One Spring Night. The dramas feel incredibly similar, yet have entirely different set-ups. It’s early in the plot for One Spring Night, but I’m really liking the dynamics between the three sisters, and our lead characters. K-dramas are not often subtle, so when there’s a drama with subtle attractions and moments, I really enjoy it. That being said, the scene where Jung Hae-in’s character nonchalantly replaces Han Ji-min’s fallen chopstick really got me. Perfect moment.

Tags: , , , , ,

Continuing my experiment with a new scoring system to replace my old scale-of-1-to-10 system. First score now is how much I like it this week, 2nd is how much I guess a typical Beanie might like it if they at least somewhat like the genre.

Voice 3: C+/D: Just stop having mental issues and power struggles and answer the d**n phone. And somebody call them. Please. I don't even care if it's some telemarketer, just get them on the phone so they can frantically try to locate whoever it is. If it's a phone scammer I can suggest things to do once they find him.

Abyss: B+/B-: As others have said, Park Bo-young can do no wrong.

My Fellow Citizens: A/A: Was a little surprised at how quickly Hoo-ja was dealt with in day 15. I should have known better.

Angel's Last Mission: B+/A-: About 12 minutes into ep 1 I was having Zatoichi flashbacks. And if the FL ever needs any more organ transplants, her evil aunt might be a suitable organ donor -- anything except her heart. Meanwhile, FL was walking and even running just fine when she was blind, now suddenly she has trouble walking when she can see?

Her Private Life: C/A- Getting boring. I liked the secret fanatic fan photographer phase more.

Absolute Boyfriend: B-/B+ The humor saves it from being as lame as the last robot-pretending-to-be-human show. Barely. Sexbots Robots with unrealistic battery life pretending to be human is not my favorite genre. (I'm one day behind)

One Spring Night: C-/B I'm a day behind, likely drop.

Arthdal Chronicles teasers & posters: there needs to be some kind of award for generating near Game-of-Thrones-finale level of antipathy before the show even starts.

I can see your changed your rating system.

Arthdal - I have lost confidence in this show. This show's main character looks more and more like copy paste of Kingdom's Hero.
Vagabond all the way minus suzy.

ALM - The show had a short sequence explaining that the FL was suffering from psychological trauma from the death of her driver/secretary, and his gift of his eye parts to her, letting her see again after she behaved so badly to his statement that he would get her to see again.

I hope Arthal Chronicles not have Games of Thrones series ending. I am just gonna pretend that did not happening.

Lol at Absolute Boyfriend. I've barely started it, but now I want to watch more.

I was planning to pick up Absolute Boyfriend as a somewhat gleeful trash watch. Unfortunately some people are watching the Japanese original and responding to my old comments on it on KA. It has reminded about particular plot points that made me dislike the original so much.

I might wait to see if those eventuate before starting it.

I still say that robot boyfriend is creepy. Which makes her an idiot.

Update: I watched the 7th ep of Absolute Boyfriend and was encouraged because HJH was in much of the ep and it turns out he broke up with her to keep her safe from harm by someone who threatened her (even though this is a trope done a million times it still made it more interesting). However, at the end, she accepts the robot to cheesy romantic music and even cheesier romantic words. Back to creepy and zero for me.

I really enjoy the manga version of Absolute Boyfriend, and haven't seen one that do its justice, unfortunately. I like the Japanese version, merely because I like the actor and actresses :(

Re: ANGEL'S LAST MISSION
"And if the FL ever needs any more organ transplants, her evil aunt might be a suitable organ donor -- anything except her heart."

I'm with you on that one, @lordcobol. Aside from the risk of contracting some fatal disease from Auntie Dearest, I'm reminded of the immortal words of McKinley Morganfield: "You Can't Lose What You Ain't Never Had". ;-)

I seem to have fallen out of love with kdramas. They're either too silly, too cheesy or too gruesome. So I give them all and "F".
This is now, not future - I keep hoping.

@pakalanapikake Has anyone seen the movie PARASITE? It just won at the Cannes Film Festival and many have said it's probably the best movie of the year. From the director of The Host, Mother, Memories of Murder, Okja and Snowpiercer.

It's not out yet. It was screened at Cannes and will have its Korean premiere on 5/30. But since it's been sold to 192 countries (a record), we should all be able to see it very soon. I can hardly wait.

Thanks for the info!
I requested Netflix get the license.

I was worried that Quentin Tarantino’s ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD would win because it was clearly the critics’s fave but I remember Lee Chang-dong’s BURNING was also the critic’s favorite last year and it didn’t win.
The juries are unpredictable.

I’m so greedy I want it to win the first Oscar for Korea too.

I can’t wait to watch it. So much talk about it being better than MEMORIES of MURDER.

It was said the nine members in the jury voted for it unanimously. Now to hope that I stay unspoiled until its rumored premiere in my country, which is not until Nov. :(

I think we are safe since Bong Joong-ho did ask the critics not to spoil his movie. I haven’t read any spoilers.

I'm probably the only crazy fangirl who keeps tract of Cannes lol.
Picking up my list from 2016. I'm so happy to fill in another empty spot.

The Competition in order: South Korea Winners.

Palme d'Or – Golden Palm (Parasite - Bong Joong-ho 2019).

Grand Prix – Grand Prize of the Festival
(Oldboy - Park Chan Wook 2004)

Prix du Jury – Jury Prize
(Thirst - Park Chan Wook 2009)

Palme d'Or du court métrage – Best Short Film
(Safe - Moon Byoung-gon 2013)

Prix d'interprétation féminine – Best Actress
(Secret Sunshine - Jeon Do-yeon 2007) directed by one of my fav Lee Chang-Dong.

Prix d'interprétation masculine – Best Actor -

Prix de la mise en scène – Best Director
(Painted Fire - Im Kwon-taek 2002)

Prix du scénario – Best Screenplay
(Poetry - Lee Chang-dong 2010)

*Prix d'interprétation masculine – Best Actor -* is still open so I'm cheering for Song Kang-ho or the younger Ha Jung-woo to fill this spot.

I know it's not cool to say this, but a part of me still wishes DB would write something about this historic achievement. It would have been a given just a few years ago.

@sadie
I agree. This is a big deal. I do miss the good old days.

I did not see anything that made me think they liked Tarantino's movie more than the rest. I did see some predictions favoring Portrait of a Lady though. Did you see this? https://twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1132366061771272193

I read most of the international critics reviews separate from the juries' favorites.

@sadie @kiara You'll love this clip from Every Frame A Painting. He talks about Mother and what an awesome director Bong Joon-ho is.

@linda-palapala

PARASITE'S release date is May 30, 2019.

I posted the Hollywood Reporter's review on my fan wall:

A Beautiful World
Having the omniscience of a viewer, I actually believed Eun Joo when she sobbed about how she believed Sun Ho was already dead when she discovered him. However, just like what Joon Seok said, things have escalated to a point where telling the truth no longer works and it is indeed her fault that as an adult she wasn’t mature enough to admit it all. On another note, I’m really impressed by how the show gives even the smallest characters their moment and doesn’t leave any stone unturned, for this week, the school’s principal made a grand stand against the immorality that was exposed.

The Secret Life of My Secretary
Veronica definitely has a smart head on her shoulders: I find it a real pity that she is falling more for Dae Joo which will affect her ability to judge objectively eventually (I won’t give credit to him for warning her since he’s already had plenty of opportunities to come clean with Min Ik but didn’t). It’s odd to me how the attraction blossomed so quickly: the show alluded it to his frankness but I’ll need more convincing on her perspective (in comparison, I can see why the main OTP like each other). I hope Gal Hee returns the favour and shed some light for Veronica when she becomes confused later.

My Absolute Boyfriend
Even if Wang Joon broke up with Da Da due to his sasaeng fans, it’s true nonetheless that he prioritises his career over his romance as seen by the interview. I find it hard to believe what he said in the flashback about how he doesn’t want to be an actor in his next life. It’s great that Da Da heard it: that had influenced her choice to not shut Young Gu down.

Her Private Life
So we are really going down that route where the leads knew each other from childhood that was so traumatic that the leads had forgotten it: I can’t say I’m disappointed at this point since the show was never innovative in the first place. I just see how it has deviated so far the original premise of idol and fangirl and sigh to myself at what it may have been.

Abyss
Marble itself said that if the owner was dead, the next revived is its temporary owner. I’m pretty sure it’s not just myself since many Beanies are fluent in English: now that Min has returned to life, how is the Marble still with Young Chul? I’m also facepalming at how both leads exposed themselves to the serial killer but I guess death can’t cure stupidity at all.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: I hope Veronica will still keep her professional attitude even if she keeps falling for him. I would even like to see her play with him and throw him when she's done. You can tell I don't like him haha

I agree, there is something about him that just irks.

I'm a little worried about Veronica in future episodes as before this drama got started, there was some mention that Veronica finds out about the secretary pretending to be her and gets mad about it and intervenes. I truly hope Veronica doesn't end up liking Min Ik and becoming part of the triangle literally. Though I can't imagine how Min Ik could prefer the real Veronica over his adorable secretary. Well, except for the money and power thing...

Really? She was going to play along. I can't see her meddling with the leads because she has her own stuff to do and doesn't look that interested in her family's opinions. At least, I can't see her fall for Min Ik because she has her eyes set on someone else.

Oh I so hope you are right about that! I really, really want the main leads to work it all out in the end. I love them together. :-) Yes, Veronica does like someone else but I'm afraid she might just want both of them to herself.

Abyss - I guess, I took the Marble's message to be that it was with its new temporary owner until the owner dies such that it will remain with Young Chul until his death (the "temporary" meaning that it didn't stay with its current owner even after death but moved to a new owner once the current owner dies). Once Young Chul dies, Marble will then go to Go Se-Yeon as she is the next revived.

I think Veronica's interest in DJ keeps rising because he keeps resisting her advances. You know..like the classic trope of a hero falling in love with the first girl ever to dump him..lol but this time in reverse. Given her social status and power, she has been used to getting what she wants until DJ came along. DJ knows when and how to use Veronica's interest to get his own advantage. I know he used it to help Min Ik and I can feel his genuine concern. but something in him bothers me...like idk. He's shady. And the only person I trust with Min Ik is of course Galhee XD

- Completed -

All is Well: I liked the second brother and the dad's journey. It's a really well made family drama that portrays people who could really exist IRL. Even if lots of problems were solved with Mingyu's money.

- Currently watching -

Angel's Last Mission: This show wasn't on my radar but I'm gald I gave it a chance because Shin Hye Sun's performance was wonderful in the premiere.

Beautiful World: ep 15. Our beloved Seon Ho... I felt so relieved and couldn't ask for more like his mother said. In contrast, Oh family is falling appart and Joon Seok has nowhere to go. His declaration to the police station makes me anxious.

Don't Fight With Fools Even When You Get Pissed Off: ep 2. This week our new employee had to deal with the jealous type of fool. I really wanted to smack his co-worker's face several times. The solution was... unique but I'm not sure it wokrs irl HAHA

Different Dreams: ep 11-12. The recent episodes allowed to spend more time with the characters and therefore made it easier to understand them. There's something that makes me quite surprised is Japanese people talking in Korean. It's not that important but I think a few scenes of Japanese people (who are against Joseon's independance) speaking Korean undermine their rejection of Korean people. That could've been a little touch for the antagonism going on.

Her Private Life: I like Deok Mi's constant support during the whole identity's revelation. We could've ended the show here but the childhood connection is coming. I'm scared of it because our couple sticked together until now. One more revelation won't affect them. I want to point out the nice progression of the secondary characters

Kakafukaka: ep 5. No matter how much Hase's childhood was, I will never sympathize with him. He's a manipulator and I don't like the way he treats her.

Le Coup de Foudre: ep 24. Yan Mo and Qiao Yi are officially dating! I guessed rught that Qiao Yi would be the one to confess properly. Another couple I like is Dachuan and Alice. Dachuan is the best friend ever. His crush on Alice is cute (childhood connection agaaaiiin) and I like how she evolves because she's not a bad person. I'm glad Best Bro and BFF aren't going to get together because they thought she was pregnant. I think she will tell him the truth soon

My Fellow Citizens: Next week is the finale and we finally got to see the third sister. Someone said in early recaps that it would be great if she was on the justice side. That was not too far! My biggest worry is what will happen to Hoo Ja and if Mi Young will discover the truth.

Nokdu Flower: ep 17-18. The episodes made it clear that we will have a lot of break because death is always around our characters. I understand Yi Kang not wanting to have a proper relationship. What's good is his new post in Donghak!

One Spring Night: I don't feel like watching beyond the premiere because it feels like heachaches and disapprovals incoming.

Save Me 2: Elder Choi is pulling strings from behind. Sung Pastor is being manipulated into thinking he can heal lost causes, which nurters his ego and make him an idol. I wonder how he will deal with the wife with cancer because Elder Choi can't fake that case. Speaking of Elder Choi, he's now gaining trust from the villager head and that's one less enemy.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: Awesome~ Gal Hee and Min Ik just have too much chemistry! I even regret the whole lie because the revelation won't go well. I'll be pessimistic, have low expectations and say Min Ik doesn't know it's not Veronica Park speaking.

I read "Veronica Park, speaking" as she said it. I'm liking that actress that played the real Veronica Park. I'll often be annoyed by her right now, but I'm loving her.

Veronica Park is just so over-the-top funny - but I love that she is also quite savy and very intelligent- except when it comes to her annoying mother.

I did too! Hahah "Veronica Park, speaking" with her signature hand gesture lol. Maybe we're not annoyed at her because her character is not getting between our OTP yet lol. And the actress playing her is giving so much life and sass. I'm enjoying it so far

Yes at this point she hasn't been portrayed as the annoying second female lead that we usually see(*cough looking at you HPL) but simply another woman who is caught up in the web of chaebol political shenanigans...

The actress leaving the show plays Ha-ni, not Veronica, unless there's another departure I'm not aware of.

Yes, you're correct. Sorry I misread!

Regarding Her Private Life and the secondary characters, I absolutely agree. They did the job of moving the story forward but didn't take over chunks of the drama with filler. The progression of Cindy, in particular, was quite nice.

Cindy's arc was well done, subtle and natural. The opposite of her mother which is ironic.

I think Cindy's mom is a hoot but only because she is kept (after the first 2 episodes) to about 5 minutes per episode. A little goes a long way.

I'm really enjoying Le Coup de Foudre. I think Qiao Yi had to confess this time around since she rejected Yan Mo confession back in High School and given his personality he would never have confessed again.

That's right. At the beginning of the show I wondered how they started dating and after spending time with them, it was obvious Qiao Yi would be the one to do it.

I am so happy to find another fan of Le Coup de Foudre! I am just about to finish ep 24 and I am dreading that fact that I will have to wait (I do not watch live shows for this reason) for the remaining episodes. :)
I was wondering what was going to be the catalyst too. Qioa Yi has some repairing to do, but I think Yan Mo just needs an indication from her and he will be all in.

I can't watch Le Coup just yet - not til I get over their roles in Oriental Odyssey, which I loved!
It's on the radar though, maybe later on this year.

To be honest, I was hoping Dachuan and Qiao Yi get together because they are cute together and totally understand each other. I like their chemistry together. LOL I read the OTP if act in another life dramas. They will be like Ten Miles Peach Blossom couple. LOL

If it was another drama, I would have rooted for them. I love how he calls her our Qiao Yi haha

I didn't see what actor is playing Dachuan - do you know?

Double Life of Secretary is the chemistry winner for me right now. Jin Ki Joo and Kim Young Kwang are so adorable together 😍 Yes, they more behave like a couple than boss and his secretary, but I don't care 😊 The biggest question of course still is, does Dominik know???

Checked Spring Night and gosh, this team behind the show still knows pretty well how to do the falling-in-love part... So far I like Pharmacist more than Programmer (from Pretty Noona). Just wish Han Ji Min's character had more spark (her Hye Ja from Dazzling is still too vivid in my mind).

Also checked Angel's Love Mission. I'm not interested in Evil Aunt and her Evil Plotting, but I like Angel and Ballerina together and I'm curious about the new Director and his agenda. (Just hope they will tone down a bit the wings 😆)

You know when the female doctor said something about the 3 moments her other patient was able to see faces...i wanted to believe that Min Ik knew it was Galhee speaking and not Veronica. But the show keeps being wishy-washy about it so I won't keep my hopes up. We better get ready for the fallout à la I'm not a Robot :(

I can't tell if the writers are being unclear about it on purpose or not, and I think that might be one of the things that's driving me the most nuts. I want to believe they have a plan, but I don't trust them. <__> Asian dramas have made me too cautious, lol.

Based on the recent turn of events (spoiler ahead if you haven't seen the latest ep)

It is now clear that Min Ik is oblivious to the fact that his secretary is playing Veronica Park. Now we know that KYK is a clueless cutie pie in suit. I know JKJ raises her voice (pitch) to speak like VP but most often she talks to Min Ik in her normal Galhee speaking voice that sometimes I wonder if he has hearing problems in addition to his prosopagnosia. Like how can he not know! Lol I guess we wouldn't have a drama if that's the case.

I've seen the latest eps, and I'm still not positive that he doesn't know or at least suspect or even is secretly hoping it's her in disguise. The writers are playing it too close to the vest for me to feel safe making any sort of call one way or the other. Everything could be explained either direction. Which I guess is one part of why I keep watching, cause darn it I want Knooooow, lol, but it's also driving me coocoo for cocoa puffs.

@ohsoenthusiastic LOL! I can't not watch it. I know I could easily tick it off as just another one of those silly rom-coms but these leads give me a hard time. They're just too good together! I don't even care anymore whether Min Ik suspects it to be her or not. When the doctor pointed out that he must like GH (when he confessed he saw her face) I knew he's already got feelings for Galhee. And that look on him when he saw her at the sauna with "a guy she's flirting with". He can't concentrate on VP anymore..

@audrey11 It's totally silly, but it's so much fun!

He's had feelings for her for awhile now. I honestly think he had feelings for her before firing her, but they were so buried he couldn't access them. It took firing her and her telling him off about it for them to show themselves.

- SPECIAL LABOR INSPECTOR JO (Ep 14): I keep repeating myself. I love this show! ❤️🤪🤛🏻

- THE SECRET LIFE OF MY SECRETARY (Ep 6): I like the idea that the heroine is in a love triangle with herself. I also like the way she is close to her brother and sister. Veronica Park’s weird and unpredictable ways make her the wildcard in this crazy story. I get impatient with the lack of logic sometimes, but I found out my sister is watching it too (lol, Fate). So I guess I’m sticking around for the funny and the cute. At least for a few more episodes. 💁🏻‍♀️🤔

- SIX FLYING DRAGONS: Completed. It lived up to expectations and more. 💯😍❤️

I'm so far behind on Special Labor Inspector Jo. I need to catch up this weekend.

*sits on the Inspector Jo bench* Hi

*waves from the Insect Control van*

*sees you on my 100x zoom camera and waves back*

I really need to get back to Inspector Jo.

'I like the idea that the heroine is in a love triangle with herself.' I hadn't actually thought about it quite from this angle, but yeah, I do too. It kind of makes you think about your own life. What areas are you putting yourself in a love triangle?

Her private life: With only one final conflict left to resolve i'm anxiously waiting for next week. This show was an absolute delight to watch and was my happy pill for these last two months and im gonna miss seeing our resident Rabbit couple every week onscreen and offscreen.

secret life of my secretary: Quite a brainless watch driven by the leads cute chemistry. Once the angst kicks in i wonder whether it'll drive the story or become a snoozefest.

With HPL, I worry about epi 15 next week. The show has been awesome in how they portray the mature romance btwn PMY and KJW. Their chemistry is electrifying and they actually communicate their feelings!
I don't look forward to extra childhood trauma tho ... whoever dropped off Ryan at the adoption centre can stay a secret.

Here's hoping it drives the story, because I'm committed at this point, lol.

Her Private Life: Love the drama and have a little bit of hope they won't go full melo with the last little kerfluffle on the horizon. Because as noted by Mary it is totally unnecessary. I give credit to the drama for actually showing the realistic reaction of an unwanted profession of love: the awkwardness/avoidance that ensues. Having EG realize how he really messed it up and apologize was something I thought I'd never see in k-drama where all too often the, "I love you..I'll wait for you" etc is met with things going on the way they did before.

Angels Last Mission: The story is set up but I'm not excited about nasty family members fighting over stuff.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: I was gonna drop it but I will hold off for a while since it is getting some positive reviews. The first 2 episodes didn't do much for me.

Touch Your Heart/Reach of Sincerity: I feel like YIA hard carried this drama. I like LDW and at the halfway point, I kinda got his character but something was just off. I also didn't care about any of the side characters really.

Abyss: Dropped after 2 episodes. Does it get better...let me know.

I also dropped it after ep2, but I have checked the recaps and no, it's not getting any better. Not at all.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: Kyaaah... 😙😙😍😍 A total squee-fest (even if I'm a bit wary about the potential angst that has came so early).

Beautiful World: The penultimate eps gave me emotional whiplash, what's with me crying happy tears over Seon-ho's recovery and also sobbing for Joon-seok whose parents had thoroughly ruined him.

Instead of watching Nokdu Flower (I swear I'll get to it someday. It's just that I don't think I can handle live-watching a show this depressing), I ended up finishing Gogh's Starry Night and On Your Wedding Day because of a certain 'someone'. Is it Monday yet?

I know this phase! After I watched Man Living in our House, I also followed Gogh's Starry Night and White Christmas.

High five on getting to Nokdu Flower soon... and also that I binged Gogh’s Starry Night because of a certain someone 😄

Gogh's Starry Night really made me fall for Kim Young-kwang. Loved him in Your Wedding Day, too. Check out Plus Nine Boys, if you can find it. He's great in that, too!

Ohhh. I, too, had to binge-watch Gogh's Starry Night because of that someone! And the movie Soul-Mate (Wonderful Ghost)..
And a couple other web dramas. Can't get over Jang Kiyoung also (loled too much with The Boy Next Door)

Re: Nokdu
On a different note, maybe live-watching a depressing show makes it more palatable. Lol like you bleed in segments, hurt for a while, then have time to heal before bleeding again.. 😆 Or maybe it's just me

My Fellow Citizens: still great. My only wish now is they have a drama about all 5 sisters and I can't wait to meet number 2. I also really hope Mi Young gets more airtime, she was missing in this last episode.

Special Labor inspector Jo: I love this drama, from the wink and smiles to Jo Jin Gab and his wife and how adorable they are.

Secret Life of My Secretary: there is just something about this drama that pulls me. Usually everything about this drama would be a NO, but the leads have such quiet chemistry, that I root for them. The storyline is also very blah, but yet I'm still entertained and I am always excited to watch it, meh.

Angel's Last Mission- Love: I love it, surprisingly. L unfortunately is outclassed by Shin Hye Sun, but he is serviceable. SHS is perfect though, when she was smiling at JHS's funeral and crying watching the video, I cried with her. Sure is my favorite part about this drama, I also find it refreshing that the gender roles are swapped.

One Spring Night: I warily like it. I also liked the first half of Pretty Noona, so there is that. I can already feel her awful father getting worse and I'm getting flashbacks. So I won't recommend until the back half.

Rescue Me 2: I'm enjoying the heck out of this. It's not so much a cult as a very sophisticated group of scammers using a church and an actual true believer to con these poor people. Our hero seems to be a terrible human being who figures out the shenanigans because he knows a terrible person when he sees one, it's actually refreshing.

Voice 3- this season is more strained than other seasons, but it's fine, I'm going to continue to watch.

My Fellow Citizens: Sister #2 appeared in an early episode when she was talking about Big Sis locked in jail. She doesn't have anything to do with the company and seems too frivolous to be an actual obstacle lol

Me too... boss-secretary troupe is not my thing, and prosopagnosia seems a bit too close to the Beauty Inside. But I am glad to decide to have Secret Life of My Secretary a try. It's cute and light without being puffy! Love KYK and JKJ's chemistry too..

Head/Shoulders: Finished last night. Such a sweet show. Loved our Dora and MoMo. Also, it was my first rabbit watch which just added another layer of enjoyment. I was spoiled to the appearance of a certain little boy, but curious to how surprised everyone else was when he showed up?

Her Private Life: While I do not think the show fully stuck to it's premise I still love it. I am not bored at all with them. I do wish that instead of the childhood connection they would focus on Ryan Gold and his new found idol brother's relationship.......what with his girlfriend being his biggest fan, lol.

Can't Help Falling in Love: The ending credits came up and I thought to myself, "I really liked that." A cute romcom movie. My first Filipino production and I found the dialogue interesting because of the way they switch languages. It was interesting to be reading subtitles and realize wait that sentence was in English.
I now want to try Barcelona: A Love Untold which has the same actors and I guess was a big hit for them.

Has anyone watched the C drama I Hear You on Netflix? I might try that or Easy Fortune Happy Life which was on some Soompi list or something.
Also on the never ending to watch list Secret Life of My Secretary, Absolute Boyfriend, and Le Coup de Foudre.

Regarding HPL, I have hopes that because this drama does moving the plot along that they won't spend too much on the "hey, are you the kid we found on the playground" and get back to her fangirling SiAn. Awkward. That is a comedic goldmine.

Yes. I love the little fangirl moments that still pop up. Like when he called her and she had to collect herself before she could answer the phone.

I admit, I have always been looking forward to the fallout of Si-an being Ryan's brother and how Deok-mi will handle that. This is part of why I just don't want to waste any screen time on this past connection, since this is such a good opportunity for fun in the final week.

However, Ryan and DM's mom have already established a warm relationship in the show, so I feel like whatever healing process that needed to occur for him to move past this has already naturally happened. One of my favorite aspects of the show is how Deok-mi's mom takes people under her wing, like she's doing with Sindy right now, and that has made me more forgiving of this whole connection Ryan has to their family...provided that they resolve it all nicely.

Definitely check out Le Coup de Foudre.

I Hear You is cute and serviceable, and I only heard horrible things about Easy Fortune Happy Life.

Good to know. Some days cute and serviceable is exactly what is needed.

My school has started Eid holiday this week and it will end mid june yaaayyy more time for TV!
Psychometric Guy I'm having difficulty to finish this drama although I really really like Lee Ahn.
Confession I started it for Junho, I stay because it's still watchable for me.
Possessed This is my favorite of the bunch, but I'm still not moving from episode 12. I know my favorite OTP won't get their happy ending but I'm afraid what if the writer ends it by making one of the OTP kill the other half?
Save Me 2 I started it because the lead is hot. I've never seen him in anything before. But he's also the most despicable character lead in my history of kdrama watching. I don't know how the writer will turn him as the hero.

Ramadan Mubarak. Also as for Save Me 2, he really is just a horrible person, lol, but it is super refreshing, plus that gorgeous voice of his.

CRICKET - Warmup matches - Small grounds. flat pitches.
Today Kiwis are doing good. This is what i wish from a pitch. Little bit assistance for bowlers.

With kiwis . Final - England vs. SOuth Africa . a wish.

Dropped all shows except Brillaint MUKAI

Started new - Debate club.

Don't Fight the fools - 8 out of 10. This is the type of media i like. Slice of life.
Mukai - 8 out of 10.
Different dreams - You can see why direction is weak. Writer is also responsible for it. Generic soap opera style scenes turn even good into meh.

Politics from yesterday - Indian election took a lot of strategies from American politics and won. And trump gets india's right wing support. From broad view Trump is ahead of others.

Can't we please keep politics out of this?

ADACHI MITSURU -

TOUCH - Live action Nagasawa Masami

ROUGH - Nagasawa Masami

wow. I'm surprised. Masami Nagasawa got 2 big movies at such young age. Such big boost to the career. And at present more often you see her do Mom cameos. She's in action in KIngdom
and she did 50 1st dates remake 50 1st kisses but i don't her doing much commercials and she doesn't much appear in TOP 10-20 list of popular actors.

I usually dislike Manga to live-action because writer usually can't handle the script at hand. Writer takes easy way out and its ROMANCE.
That's why i'm hesitant to watch above movies. Heart says watch it form Nagasawa Masami. This feeling annoys me.

Special Labor Inspector Jo I really have hopes for the lawyer. Be good please :)

Wednesday-Thursday : a lot of dramas about love, TV channels could consult each other a little bit :p

Angel's Last Mission : Love The CGI are not the best, but I'm expecting funny scenes between the leads :)

One Spring Night I just loved the 4 episodes. It feels so real. I liked the sisters together, the friendship (the actress Lee Sang-Hee is so different from a role in 20th Century Boy and Girl, I didn't recognize her, but I love her character for now), the start of their relationship (their honesty), the kid who exists and wasn't sent far away, the music, their clothes (kind of plain but I like it), etc.

<b<My Absolute Boyfriend Nine Zero is cute but I never was really into robot-human love...

Her Private Life Why childhood trope >_<

Different Dreams Mazareu, you can't die!

Nokdu Flower The two brothers chose their side :(

A Beautiful World Finally, a good news for the parents!

Voice 3 I like the fact they still have other cases to handle and not only the crazy japanese killer.

Kakafukaka I just want to punch the heroin sometimes...

One Spring Night: Lee Sang Her is one of the recent actresses that captured my attention in recent works. True, she is almost unrecognisable. I kind of want to keep watching but I am scared of the future episodes.

She was so brilliant in Mistress, there's no way to describe it.

Absolutely! I watched it for Choi Hee Seo (loved her in Anarchist from Colony) but Lee Sang Hee was so good.

I was very impressed with Choi Hee-seo,and her character was probably my favourite of the main four women?

CHS was my favourite of the quartet too! I meant as a secondary role, LSH really did a great job 🙂

I guess my slump is over. The evidence:

Her Private Life: Kim Sun-young is killing it with her Director Eom. Oh, and I hear there is a somewhat good OTP too.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: I can’t wait for the reveal when we find out how Jang Do-han survived his Lookout fall. It will be the best reincarnation since Sherlock Holmes. I hear the OTP is kinda cute here as well.

My Fellow Citizens: Park Hoo-ja. That’s all.

Angel’s Last Mission: Love: I’m only a half hour in at this point, and you beans weren’t kidding this is good. I was not expecting this. Shin Hye-sun is so completely different from her persona in 30 but 17 , and I’m excited to see where this goes. (Did I just jinx it?)

Lookout Falls... 😂

That had scene totally gave me Lookout flashbacks. When he was fighting, I kept saying take out a weapon! Take the bad guy down!

We expect more from him. Did her learn nothing from Lee Si Young?

Ugh, *he

I'm going to have to start this now. Sounds like fun.

Lookout? Oh do, it's fantastic.

I'm waiting 'til half way through Angel's Last Mission to see if everyone still loves it. Unless I get bored, of course.

I wasn't going to pick up Angel's Last Mission: Love until waaaaayyyy further into the drama but then... I accidentally pressed play (honestly) and I think it's the best opening episode I've seen in a while.

*We're totally jinxing it. *

I mean, the last truly great premiere I saw was What's Wrong with Secretary Kim so...

I'm going to wait and hope I don't get spoiled too much. But I admit to feeling hopeful about it. All the comments have been so positive.

Oh yeah, I remember that opening episode being great too. That's before that show changed writer

As a student, I've done maybe the stupidest thing possible and picked up both the new dramas that aired this week - I'm now watching four Wednesday-Thursday dramas, and it's safe to say I'll probably be useless on those days for the time being.

Her Private Life: I really don't care about the Lee Sol storyline (maybe from now on, we should call it His Private Life), but I do feel like the drama handled it well considering. Just please give me some more Deok-mi development! This was supposed to be her story!

Absolute Boyfriend: Yeah... I love this.

Spring Night, which will henceforth be known be the far snappier Korean title Bom Bam: I'm so in love with this, it's insane. I just can't resist a project where you can tell that attention was poured into every frame, and the dialogue is consistently realistic, and where every minute expression means something. Whether it will internally combust later remains to be seen. (This drama couldn't have come at a more inconvenient time of year, though - good job on the CGI snow~!)

One and Only Love: I'm not really in the headspace for a drama quite so tragic right now, but it's interesting and obviously Shin Hye-sun is beguiling, so I'll stick around.

Agree with your thoughts on One Spring Night. 2019 has been disappointing to me so far and this has the potential to become a favorite. Show just oozes quality.

1. The heirs - it has been 6 years, but I finally finished watching this 😄. Not much content, but still highly binge-able.

2. Her Private Life - ❤️❤️, enough said

3. I Live Alone - I kinda fell in love hard with this, and has some 100+ Episodes left to watch 😂. Watching the ones with my favourite guests as of now, but I loved the cast. Dhalsim, President Jeon, Park Na Rae, Ssam D and the 3 idiots. Oh god the 3 idiots are such a delight to watch. They put a smile on my face.

Will watch soon as quickly as possible once I’m done with my exam :
- one spring night
- angel’s last mission

My favorite I Live Alone episodes are when the Rainbow Club members get together. They are a riot and my throat hurts from so much laughing😂

I continue watching because of them too 😍😍

My fellow citizens - sangjin was gold this week. Can't wait to see Hooja out to wreck havoc again.

Angel's last mission: I'm drawn to SHS's crying scenes after Mr Jo died. Apart from that the show is okay.

When he popped out of the bushes I cackled, but the crying was the real winner. Lol

The bushes was my favourite. Why on earth did he think emerging from bushes was a good idea haha. The crying was icing on the cake, he was obviously faking it. Kudos to assemblyman Kim, his reactions made Sangjin's actions more hilarious 😆🤣

I just finished Produce Ep 4
I feel like Nuest w songs are the hardest to sing in the competition? I like the perf of both team.
7th Sense Team is full of babies: Lee Jinwoo, Kim Mingkyu and Song Hyun Jung.
Team Lullaby is my fave(well my top picks are there). Other teams I like: Loveshot,Clap and Boss.
I wonder why Jinhyuk not took the main rapper part instead of teaching Yohan.
Park Sunho has really an aura of an actor.

Still continuing Her Private Life, Waikiki season 2 and Ten Miles of Peach Blossom.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: Out of the 8 dramas I am currently watching this is the highlight of my week.

I was pleasantly surprised last week by how comfortable these two are with each other. They have spent one year with each other quite intensely and as a result of her duties Gal Hee knows Min Ik quite well and as demanding as Do Min Ik was as a boss he was never stuck up. After Gal Hee was rehired and the their dynamic changed we started seeing the level of comfort between them more and more and I find this very refreshing. Physically they get into each other’s space quite often without getting conscious and are openly criticizing each other, make honest comments. I still enjoy the craziness that is Veronica Park and couldn’t care less about the rest. I found the sister’s plans of becoming an actress coming quite from the left field as she was portrayed as a hard working student who could get into a good American university. Still swooning over Kim Young Kwang’s physique. He can also be so sweet…

Can they leave a blind man all alone at home? Can he be that self sufficient?

The so called bestie is such a boring character.

Blind doesn't equal incapable. He appears to be otherwise healthy and in with all mental faculties in place. There's no reason he needs to be supervised 24/7.

I didn't mean it in a 24/7 sense. Both his sisters were gone for days. Surely someone needs to help him with certain tasks he cannot do for himself. I just didn't see anyone else but the sisters around.

I find it annoying that the layout of their home isn't conducive to being blind. I want to go fix it. Rocks in the courtyard with raised stepping stones?

Same, bugs me everyone I see it

Drama writers aren't used to writing stories about people with disabilities, unfortunately. I was honestly pleasantly surprised to see a drama that included a character that was disabled, and he's such a fun character that I'm willing to forgive some of the little things they've gotten wrong. (I actually quite liked how they have rope tied up outside so he has something to hold while walking around. I thought that was a good touch.)

Mother of Mine: Episode 18 was my most favorite ever. There were not one but two big face-offs in this episode. I am glad Mi Ri finally told that so called mother everything she should. As expected the CEO tried to convince both her daughter and adopted son to break off their relationship and also tried to send Mi Ri abroad. Thankfully they are going strong and even took their relationship one step further both physically and emotionally despite or may be because of her interference. Of course when she couldn’t get what she wants from them the evil witch brought out the big guns and ratted on them to the chairman. They both stood up to her (and Tae Joo to his father as well) and said they are not breaking up but the circle around them is tightening.

I sometimes wonder how Mi Ri will take Tae Joo’s hidden identity but then I remember that Mi Ri is keeping a very big secret as well and they are both equally secretive so neither can really blame the other.

But more than Mi Ri and the CEO’s face off I cheered so hard when Mi Sun told her mother in law everything she should. With what she said I finally realized her husband is like that because of his mother. He is equally selfish, takes just after his mother.

I still don’t care for Mi Hye’s story but more than that his ex is annoying me. As if him acting like her boyfriend after he dumped her wasn’t enough when he revealed why he dumped her I couldn’t believe his selfishness. He doesn’t have self confidence that’s clear but really, that was too much.

Angel’s Last Mission: Love:I really didn't need another drama on my plate but what can I do? I like this so far...

My Absolute Boyfriend: This should be right up my alley but I cannot get into this drama. I don’t care about or root for this robot. He doesn’t have a personality. I read criticisms that he is acting like a human. I find the problem to be just the opposite. He does all the programmed swoony things but seems to me quite mechanically, without real emotion so they are meaningless. I really cared for Nam Shin 3 in Are You Human Too. Here I care more about Wang Joon but he acted so badly that I can’t support him either. So this drama doesn’t appeal to me emotionally.

I’m quite impressed with Hong Jong Hyun as his vibe in the two dramas is very different. Yes, the role and the styling is different but he even looks at the other characters and carries himself differently in the two dramas so you never confuse his characters. I don’t think of Tae Joo when I’m watching Wang Joon and vice versa.

Abyss: I think I ranted enough about this one this week….

Her Private Life: I also think this drama should have ended at episode 14. There was enough of birth secrets without that unnecessary childhood connection. I hope they don’t make mom responsible for Ryan thinking he was abandoned at the 11th hour.

Unstoppable High Kick: Jun Ho is really falling for the teacher. It is the best part of the show for me right now. I hope she doesn’t get back together with the uncle.

Delightful Girl Chun Hyang: Finally got back to this after a long break but the makjang plot driven by the evil second leads continue. No wonder I don't have much desire to finish it off.

Sending you ❤️️❤️️❤️️ on behalf of my bias, thank you!

@moonbean,
Color me stunned to learn that another Beanie has been watching DELIGHTFUL GIRL CHUN-HYANG. I know exactly what you mean about the tail-chasing makjangery – but that didn't stop me. I eventually concluded that transforming the classic Joseon tale of Confucian piety and true love into a makjang melodrama was the variation on the theme.

The Joseon flashbacks are great. Alas, a couple of the episodes I watched had been shorn of their outros, and I really missed them. There are several Joseon interludes in the final episode. Pay careful attention. They’re there for a reason.

It was a delight to see Jae Hee in action. He was phenomenal in the movie 3-IRON, and I liked him in the sentimental drama THREE FATHERS, ONE MOTHER. (Shin Sung-rok and Jo Hyun-jae complete the trio of buddies looking out for their hyung’s bereaved family.) He was 25 when he filmed this in 2005. Here's hoping he's in more shows. If Kim Jae-wook, Kim Dong-wook, Shin Dong-wook, and Kim Ji-suk are all finally getting cast as leading men, there's no reason why the same cannot happen for Jae Hee.

There are holes in DELIGHTFUL GIRL CHUN-HYANG, and generally skimpy characterizations. The continuity left a lot to be desired at times. The heavy-handed use of tropes, cliches, and stereotypes got to be a bit much, but perhaps that's part of the show's charm, which wears thin in spots. I found myself repeatedly wishing adamantly that Chae-rin would be struck by lightning – or run over by a Taxi of Doom.

I knew from the beginning that DELIGHTFUL GIRL CHUN-HYANG was a retelling of the Joseon pansori "Chunhyangga," with twists in the manner of the Fractured Fairy Tales segment of ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE. But it's not only the characters and events that get updated and tweaked. The very genre of the storytelling switches from a tale of moral piety to a frothy romantic comedy that morphs into heavy-duty melodrama with a coming-of-age component plus a touch of crime thriller. The cockeyed melodramatic treatment – with scheming Chae-rin and hopelessly-smitten Byun Hak-do – became bearable when I realized it was supposed to be excessive and as far from the pansori as possible.

I personally would not describe the title character as delightful. “Sassy” is a much more apropos adjective for the leading lady. Or “feisty.” The production values, handphones, fashions, and hairstyles are old-fashioned, but there's an early-Hallyu vibe that I find appealing. The Hong Sisters have clever ideas, but not enough to fill the allotted number of episodes, so they resort to repetitious push-and-pull, and endless bickering that gets tiresome. Seventeen is an oddball number of episodes, so I'm left to wonder whether an extra was added, or the show was cut down from 18. Despite all that, DELIGHTFUL GIRL CHUN-HYANG had me laughing out loud, and I'm glad I watched it.

More comments in #44 below.

@pakalanapikake,

I have many oldies on my to watch list and try to slowly make my way through them while keeping up with current shows. If I get into the oldie it's a nice binge watch that doesn't last over a couple of weeks. But sometimes I get stuck there for a while, which was my experience with Delightful Girl (I agree Sassy works better by the way). It's been 3 months since I started it and when I get busy I forget I was watching it, I never have a burning desire for the next episode.

My comments above were particularly for the episodes I watched this week (12-14). I did laugh quite a lot in high school parts, but I did not find this to be as laugh out loud as other Hong sisters dramas. I loved the Joseon bits in the end. That is more like Hong sisters' style and I would have loved if the whole drama had that tone.

There are two other factors that make me critical of it. One is the fact that it is a Hong Sisters drama, the other is that some dramas don't stand the test of time too well. I know most beanies love Hong sisters but there are a couple of things that really irritate me in their dramas. The first is that most of their earlier work is driven by evil second leads and this I think is also the reason this drama doesn't stand the test of time too well. I really really hate stories built on the main couple's misunderstandings, trials and tribulations due to obsessed outsiders and I am really happy that Kdramas are recently moving away from this. I could not stand Chae Rin's sickeningly cheerfulness. Had I watched this when it aired I might have enjoyed it so much more, but 14 years after it aired it feels really old fashioned to me (old clothes and technology doesn't bother me at all but apparently old fashion storytelling does). Those who are rewatching would feel differently as the element of nostalgia regarding how they liked it at the first watch would affect their experience. Another of my annoyances with Hong sisters is the requisite separation and time jump towards the end (another cliche I am happy to see Kdramas are leaving behind).

I haven't seen Jae Hee in anything else. I sometimes wonder when I watch an older drama with a lead I never heard of what makes some actors really big versus other never get another leading role. It is not always how good looking they are or how well they can act.

@moonbean,

Like you, I have many older Kdramas on my to-watch list, many of them sageuks, which was the only genre I watched when I started circa 2012-13. I consulted the DB ratings, recommendations in Open Thread, and recap comments as I made my list.

I share your dislikes and reservations about Kdrama tropes and conventions, including those employed by the Hong sisters (e.g., evil second leads, mandatory separation, time jumps -- the whole enchilada). I'm surprised at how many of their shows I have watched.

As for Jae Hee, I recently watched MAY QUEEN. He plays one of the main trio of characters. In addition to acting (including a 123-episode daily drama in 2015! and 2 films released in 2018), he's been running an online shopping mall since 2007. He's busy.

I've long suspected that management is a big factor in actors' careers and visibility in this very competitive industry.

@pakalanapikake what older dramas are on your to-watch list? Most of my favorites are definitely the older ones, with the exception of some extremely popular ones like Coffee Prince, Healer, Heirs which were probably already too old by the time I watched them and had seen those cliches done a hundred times already. If they'd been the first kdramas I'd ever seen I probably would have liked them better.
My first drama was Maids, which got low ratings because it was nothing new and just "average", but it was so new to me I loved it enough to watch it 5 times. Then came Slave Hunters, Fantasy Couple (all because of Oh Ji ho). Then I discovered Gaksital and everything Joo Won. Then came period pieces and Song Il Gook, then Kang Ji hwan and Kim Nam Gil.
I'm getting nostalgic...

@pakalanapikake I just remembered: telling my friend about how good Maids was. She asked what's it about so I said something about a woman's journey from chaebol to maid and what she learned. No, what's the plot? she asked. I dunno, was there a plot? There has to be a plot. Well, I guess halfway thru Oh Ji ho finds out he's the king's son and the king wants Oh Ji ho to get the royal seal.
Okay, my friend says, that's the plot. How can that be the plot? You don't even know anything about that until halfway thru the drama.
Years later, @pakalanapikake introduces me to Kishotenketsu and the 4 act Asian drama with the "ten" part being a twist or complication. Now that fits much better than Western thinking. She still doesn't understand.
Which reminds me also, in the article reviewing Parasite, the writer mentions how the director mixes genres. Guess he doesn't realize that's how Asian storytelling is. And I love the genre mixing but my friend doesn't understand that at all.

The American university was a made up story. Penn has two n’s, not one as shown int fake envelope and poster. The ML pointed it out to the FL...

I love their dynamic as well. It feels very natural and like they have a strong understanding of each other, something that can often be lacking in asian dramas.

HER PRIVATE LIFE : Honestly I quite dissapointed since this drama didn't really fleshed out Sian aside of being Deokmi's idol and Ryan siblings. I'm also afraid that all of Deokmi's mom good deeds washed away if she was revealed to be the one who put Ryan in an orphanage. And after the draw me like one of your French girls scene, I am not ready for letting go of Succesful Fangirl & Waffle Prince Lion :( can I secretly wish for dating news of KJW & PMY???

ANGEL'S LAST MISSION: LOVE : What's up between childhood connection & k-drama? urgh are they like Peanut Butter & Jelly? Somehow it feels like watching Shin Hyesun is tragic and watching L is like a slapstick. AND I LOVE IT.

PRODUCE X 101 : WOW this season is sooooo annoying and I have so many things to complain, either with the horrendously boring editing, bad camerawork, blatant favoritism, lack of outstanding trainees (they have some talents, but honestly there is no strong characters to me like Kim Jaehwan, Ong Seongwu, Yoo Seonho, Kang Dongho & Lee Daehwi), and also ambiguous judging skills of the trainers. I don't want to hate Lee Dongwook, but honestly he doesn't belong in there, anybody who did his makeup makes me horrified (from harsh contouring to his face & neck makeup paler than his hand), as well as I don't think he has the credibility to judge the kids talents either.

I finished watching Put Your Head on My Shoulder and so far it's my favorite drama of 2019. I thought it was better than A Love So Beautiful (which was also from the same writer) since I much prefer a storyline where the hero is pursuing the heroine versus the opposite.

Chinese dramas just seem to be getting better and better and for the most part seem to avoid those common tropes (like noble idiocy, nasty second female leads) that have caused me to suffer a minor bout of k-drama burnout.

ONE SPRING NIGHT (Pretty Noona 2.0): It has started off checking the same elements of Pretty Noona except that Spring Night is more reserved with the two leads initial spark. The main leads' acting is more wooden than in Noona, which began with a chemical explosion and burned out in the second half story lines.

ANGEL'S LAST MISSION: Almost dropped after first episode's bad CG and the tired evil-aunt to Cinderella premise. Giving it a chance based on Shin Hye Sun's last two series.

Labor Inspector Mr. Jo: I couldn't imagine other actor would play this role other than Kim Dong-wook. I still have soooo many questions about Do-ha...

Angel Last Mission: Oh, I love the first two episodes.... I love Shin Hye-sun... I love her as ballerina... (Gosh, watched the behind the scene where they practiced about 2 months for the "Swan Lake" performance). PS: love the first OST by Lee Moon-sae.

Save Me 2: this is less thrilling compared to season 1. I found it a little bit funny as we know what Elder Choi has done and his lies. Poor Pastor Sung just went along with his plot knowing about nothing... :(

One Spring Night: Jung Hae-in looks so gloomy with his haircut and character. PS: I love his haircut in Pretty Noona more...

One Spring Night - I was eagerly waiting for this one since Pretty Noona, which I loved including the angsty secomd half. It did not disappoint me. The leads have subtle chemistry and side stories all had an interesting premise. Also love the fact that the kid is there and not in some hostel so that the dad can carry on with the romance. Also that chopsticks scene will go down in my kdrama world as the most romantic. I am signing in for the entire 16 episodes.

Her Private Life meanwhile sort of disappointed me with the childhood connection trope so will watch the last 4 episodes only after it ends. Also I want the KJW to finally get the girl .

Ally’s catch up week, aka, vacation week.

He’s Psychometric: last 4 episodes. Jin Young was just great in this. He was the perfect mix of goofball and tortured orphan. Because if the Beanie wall, I stopped this and only picked it up to finish it. I was more upset that Ji-soo wasn’t intubated during surgery than I was she died. *eye-roll* Life is messy and this show pulled no punches. Barely a happy ending. The criminals were punished, and life goes on, except for Ji-soo. I was just starting to like her character too.

Put Your Head on My Shoulder: the last 4 episodes and the special. I did participate in the Rabbit watch with @kimbapnoona’s live-translations and squee-ing which was great, but I wanted to watch it hearing the actors as well. My niece (who is 4) watched it with me. No, she didn’t understand it, but being 4, she was content just listening and hanging out with her aunt. It was easy and non-stress-inducing which is exactly what you should be feeling while on vacation! These two actors are everything adorable, even when they’re in a fight.

Her Private Life: ep 13. So, I got to the reveal of Ryan’s confession to his mother that he’s her son. And now I kind of am scared to continue because I can’t imagine giving up my school-aged kid to an orphanage. Maybe a baby or toddler, who won’t remember me... and it’s these story-lines that give Kdramas the opinion that they are nothing more than soap operas. I already know there’s a childhood connection, which makes this show too contrived for me. I’m too close to the end to drop it though. And Kim Jae Wook is still easy on the eyes.

Radiant: stopped indefinitely...I’m just not in a good headspace for this.

Secret Life of my Secretary and Absolute Boyfriend: hopefully, I’ll get to these today.

I am so glad that I was spoiled and warned for Radiant, as my own headspace is in a terrible place for it. What I saw was excellent, maybe too excellent.

The childhood connection in Her Private Life makes me wonder if studios have a checklist they force writers and PDs to work with: "You must check at least this many tropes from column A, and this many tropes from column B, and don't forget the Dyson.

They don't have a checklist, it's a dart board. Or maybe a spinning wheel like on game shows.

I’m glad too (being spoiled, that is). I can prepare myself which is a good thing!

It's safe to watch Her Private Life as far as how they handle the mom's story. It makes sense and is heartbreaking. It may become less bearable and make less sense next week, but this week is good.

And you get to revisit the church from Lookout. Hot Priest Shin Dong Work does not make an appearance though.

I just watched it and I cried. That was heart breaking. But it was probably one of the stronger episodes.

Mr. Sunshine, for the third time...

Tell me about it? I am stuck two episodes away from the grand finale because I don't want to see any of my dear characters dying! 😔😔😔😔

Completed

Confession

Currently watching

A Beautiful World
Absolute Boyfriend
Angel's Last Mission: Love
My Fellow Citizens

I agree wholeheartedly with Laica on both dramas. So spot-on.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by L's performance.

ONE SPRING NIGHT: it's beautiful. Without a doubt it has Pretty noona vibe (story, actors, cinematography, even houses), but I don't regret watching it, and I only worry about the music and the hysterical parent (the father, this time). I loved all the leads interactions. Can't wait for the recap!

MY FELLOW CITIZENS: I thought ep.32 was the last, and I was like: "There is not enough time! Where is MY? Why are they introducing sis. n.3 when we have only 30 minutes left? There is no time! Aaaaaa!". And then, I realized it wasn't the last episode...
Lately the show has lost something, but it's still enjoyable and I'm glad I picked it.

HER PRIVATE LIFE: Ryan's mum's explanation was a little unbelievable and I really don't like the childhood trope (that time could be use in more interesting ways, as other beanies wrote), but Ryan/DM couple is one of the best I have ever seen in a show. I love the way they love and support each other and the fact that they talk and act in a mature way.

ABYSS: finally I had time to watch this! I was so curious! The first half of the pilot was a little boring, but then it got better, and now I am liking it (I'm at ep. 4). I don't find it boring, so far the crime-thriller storyline seems well written and I like the FL. Only, when the "instructions" appear on the marble, it's awkward...

° ON HOLD °

- THE SECRET LIFE OF MY SECRETARY: I watched only 4 30-mins episodes. I didn't like the overacting of the FL and the ugly-duckling style, but I liked the way the ML showed his helplessness vs the illness. I fear the identity misunderstanding since it's not my favourite trope,but I read only positive comments about the drama, so I'm thinking to give it a chance.

THE LEGEND OF THE BLUE SEA: I have only 5 episodes to watch, but I can't decide to press "play". I liked the love story both in past and present time, but was bored by the ML's family.

IF I CAN LOVE YOU SO: I'm at ep.18. I don't know what to do when "medical" things happen in this show: to laugh, to scream, to report the writer...

DIFFERENT DREAMS: only watched the very first episode. I hope to have time for this, too, it seemed so well done, and I know almost nothing about Korea during that period of time.

MANY OTHERS...

° STARTED AND DROPPED°

THE PROMISED NEVERLAND: finally I have had time this month, and I wanted to binge watching an anime. I was liking this, it reminded me of "Never let me go" by Ishiguro... till the arrival of the monsters... I wanted an interesting, gripping story. Mystery, thriller and even horror are ok, but I can't stand monsters...

Monsters don't show up in the anime of The Promised Neverland if it can help you.

But... they were there at the end of the pilot...

Yeah, they did. And also at the beginning as well.

I meant they don't show up as prominent characters. Since we don't know much about them at this point if the story. I wasn't clear enough.

Oh, ok, it was a misunderstanding :)

The Secret Life of My Secretary

Yep. This is it. This is the show that got me out of my rom-com slump. I wasn't sure during the first 4 episodes but after that, things started falling into place. As Laica said, the leads are killing it. There are not cringey moments between them and everything feels really natural. There's equal amount of campiness, humour and genuine empathy.

I came for Kim Young Kwang and stayed for Jin Ki Joo (and their chemistry). I'm also glad there is no second lead fighting over the ML or FL and that everyone has their own storyline. I have to admit, the face blindness trope is so well used here. Can't wait for next week!

I am unabashedly in love with Le Coup de Foudre, a currently airing Chinese drama. I was a skeptical watcher at first and almost dropped it. Then it began to grow on me and I was a casual watcher enjoying it until a conversation between her and her stepfather resonated with me. The show is as much about the love between parents and children, sister and brother and between friends as that of romantic love. In this and other ways the show reminds me of the Answer Me series, especially Answer Me 1988. Throw in humor, pathos, fleshed-out characters (with relatable flaws, strengths, and quirks), and excellent acting and it makes a delicious drama I just have to consume in one bite. Did I mention that this drama probably has the best sibling relationship I have seen--up there with the Father is Strange siblings?
Any other fans out there?

I like it a lot too, and I rarely enjoy Chinese dramas. I agree about the relationships.

Zhao family is the best thing in this drama. In my case, episodes focused on Yan Mo and Qiao Yi's relationship are the weakest when they can be considered good (the separation part always annoys me in every drama). It's how much the family relationships is well done. Can I name Dachuan as the BFF of the year?

Dauchan is definitely a matchmaking genius. I love his relationships with Yan Mo and Qiaoyi. I also have to agree that the Zhao family dynamics, particularly in the earlier episodes = heart warming.