Drama viewership ratings for the week of June 10-16, 2019

There wasn’t much change in ratings this week, as most of our shows have found their niche. And while plenty of these shows are getting decent numbers, I’m still waiting for someone to hit the big 10 percent mark — a feat very difficult for the weekday dramas.

At the beginning of the week, we had Perfume and The Wind Blows stay on top, with the poor Secret Life of My Secretary still struggling around 3 to 4 percent. Then for Monday and Tuesday, we had Angel’s Last Mission and One Spring Night keep their top positions as well, with Search Query: WWW close behind.

The weekend, as usual, was a little more eventful, especially with the arrival of Chief of Staff.Β  The political drama stars Shin Mina, returning from a two-year drama hiatus, and Lee Jung-jae, returning from a ten — count ’em, ten — year drama hiatus. And seeing that their premiere garnered 4.4 percent, viewers are happy to have them back in dramaland.

Drama viewership ratings for the week of June 10-16, 2019

Sunday, June 16
Mother of Mine 51 KBS 26.7%
Mother of Mine 52 KBS 31.8%
Voice 3 12 OCN 4.5%
Arthdal Chronicles 6 tvN 7.2%

Tags:

What about Joseon survival? Please include this drama too, I like the main actor!

One Spring Night seems doing fine. I'm tempted to start since I found out the main lead is a single parent. It makes him more interesting.
But I don't like Noona romance. The thing with Noona romance is why the Noona has to be super pretty, and it seems the main reason why they guy attracted to her in the first place. In reality JosΓ©phine and Wallis Simpson were not the epitome of beauty. There must be other qualities that makes these dongsaengs fall for their noonas no?

I don't see it as a Noona romance at all to be honest.

I don't think we actually know the OTPs ages, apart from the fact that the FL's boyfriend is the ML's sunbae from university and also the ML's friend's sunbae at work. But then, the FL could just be younger than her boyfriend...

If that's what's stopping you from watching it, I would just give it a go. It's great so far.

@cloggie @kurama
Great! I might give it a try.

It's not a drama about noona romance. It's not a theme of the story.

So glad to see Angel’s Last Mission Love be on top of the prime time weekday shows again. The chemistry if the leads is πŸ”₯! The fluttering of hearts they create can fly an airplane. Shin Hye Sun’s performance is insanely award winning good. Who else can pull off playing a blind ballerina who is mean like a boss yet still show enough vulnerability to let the audience know that it’s a defense mechanism and not who she really is to the point that you root wholeheartedly for her to be with sweet angel Dan? Who can play two roles in one show so convincingly and have great chemistry with everyone? It’s hard to believe she’s was never a dancer and in old interview and show clips you can see how musically and rhythmatically challenged she was. I love that the leads make me laugh, cry and care so much about them.

For the budget and hypothetical star pull Arthdal ratings must be disappointing for tvn, if other parts won't perform, we will not seen any big budget drama soon.

Isn't Crash landing love a big budget drama? They have overseas filming and a star cast the budget must be huge.

I don't see the need for overseas filming if the story is about a North Korean soldier and a South Korean heiress near the DMZ unless it is merely background filler to show SYJ's uber-rich lifestyle.

But KES will release a new drama early next year, it's not going to be on tvn?

But we don't know money behind it? I'm just pretty sure that Arthdal failure will affect drama market.

Arthdal has already made back all the money it spent by selling it's rights to Netflix. As far the production is concerned they drama is a success. They aren't focusing on local ratings for judging the success of the drama and they even put out an article about how it has been a massive hit overseas.

Netflix doesn't release audience numbers to all it's tv shows.
Care to provide a link to this massive hit overseas?

Netflix doesn't spent money out of goodness of their heart, and they don't release their numbers, but they have no problem with pulling the plug on the show.

@kiara This is just one link there will be more articles online https://news.nate.com/view/20190612n31954?mid=n1008

Netflix not releasing its audience numbers is the most genius marketing strategy. It can claim whatever drama it wants to promote as a hit and flood the internet with positive reviews and articles. It'll intrigue people enough to watch it and some might even be brainwashed into believing these mediocre dramas/movies to be good.

Netflix business model metric is not audience numbers but new subscribers.

@kiara Exactly the point I was trying to make. Netflix has the tendency to overstate its numbers and popularity of their original content and majority of the people will accept it at face value. Its a genius move but might not work forever not that Nielsen ratings are very reliable also.

@ Globe
.."genius marketing strategy."

I definitely agree! I hope they'll finance more films with the likes of Park Chan-wook and Bong Joon-ho. OKJA was a success and took Netflix all the way to Cannes.

Netflix is going to have more competition this November with Disney Plus so that means Disney is taking their films/tv series from Netflix. No more Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel, AVATAR etc movies on Netflix.

If they were expecting 10-20% they would be disappointed but 6-7% is not a failure for a cable show. I don't expect it will affect market if they still made profit even if it's less than they wanted.

That would be an unfair comparison because you haven't taken context into account. A big budget drama with star casts has more privilege then a small budget drama with less known stars. Look at it this way people form priviliged backgrounds have more opportunities then people from under privileged backgrounds so their achievements can't be measured in equal terms. Someone from a under privilege background achieving a masters degree for example is not the same as someone from a privileged background since they were already entitled to achieve at least that much. If you take away the context then you have false positive.

No they actually made a big profit. They sold the drama at a very high price so they made back whatever cost they had in mind. Irrespective of how poor the ratings are the popularity of the actors remains unaffected. The focus is not on ratings because money has been made and popularity has been maintained. The situation is win-win when you have big budget dramas with top tier actors. Ratings allows them to beat their success drum even louder but even without it they'll say the drama was a huge success internationally because who is counting the numbers? There are no numbers to count.

I also think that this drama made his money back thanks to Netflix. The fact that they are releasing the episodes the same day as in Korea shows that they seem to have a market for it.

Netflix has been releasing new episodes the day airing for a long time already. That’s absolutely irrelevant.

I think it will impact the pre-produced drama system most. Currently the ratings for pre-produced dramas are not high and since its preproduced, theres nothing that could be done to the storyline to pull viewers interest.

It will be interesting to see the response from the other parts of Arthdal and also Vagabond which is also another preproduced big budget drama. If it does not hit the mark, it could possibly put a halt to preproduced dramas in Korea in general.

I have to disagree with that. Preproduced drama have been hit or miss for the last 3 years now but that hasn't slowed the pace of making me if anything they have increased. Even small budget dramas like 100 days Prince and My Absolute Boyfriend are being pre produced. The reason this is happening because workers are demanding better condition for work which live shooting doesn't provide. Pre producing dramas also makes it easier to sell internationally which is how they recuperate their entire budget since Korea is not a reliable market for big budget dramas anymore but SE Asia continues to consume these dramas in bulk irrespective of quality or ratings.

To some extent I agree. Especially about hopes for better working conditions and SK not being a reliable market. It is a good idea to sell dramas elsewhere to at least breakeven.

Talking about working conditions...Arthdal is preproduced but has a bevy of working condition issues. Hence it kinda negates the notion that preproducing = better working conditions.

Imo, broadcasters needs assurance and confidence to continue taking preproducing dramas. From the current ratings, live filmed dramas are getting better response than preproduced dramas. And also it has been a while since there were complaints about live-filming working conditions.

P/s: I'm still waiting for a broadcaster to pickup Park Hae Jin's Firefighter(?), a preproduced drama that has been filming for quite some time now.

I haven't heard of a Park Hae Jin drama called Firefighter but there was one in production for ages called Four Men that was dropped due to production delays. https://www.hancinema.net/park-hae-jin-freed-of-obligation-to-four-men-128558.html

Is Park Hae Jin the unluckiest actor in kdramaland?

I'm not a fan but can't help noticing that his projects don't do well or get cold storage.

@outofthisworld he kinda is. He seems to have no luck after CITT in contrast to his costars. His last drama that I recall hit big was You From Another Star, that was ages ago~

@katakwasabi

In the aftermath of CITT, I thought it would be Seo Kang Joon and maybe Kim Go Eun who would get affected adversely.

I found it was strange that Park Hae Jin agreed to do Cheese In The Trap movie which didn't do well in the box office nor get good review.

I guess it's unfortunate string of events but it has already been 3 years since CITT.

@outofthisworld i nearly forgot he acted in ManxMan after CITT. The drama did ok-ish I think. I do think PSW and KMJ has better projects after that: Life in Mars, Mr Sunshine etc.

I did not watch CITT while it aired so I am not much aware of the issue back then. But I did read that it was not pretty.

My luck be on his side soon. It would be too sad if his new drama is shelved too.

*may luck be on his side soon

@katakwasabi

Now that you mentioned PSW and KMJ, it does make his situation look even weirder.

@katakwasabi, I do know about Secret and I have been waiting for it as well but as that hasn't been announced too long ago I thought you have been waiting for something older. Preproduced dramas take about 6 months or so before airing. They don't have an airing date yet nor have I seen any promos yet.

@outofthisworld talking about PHJ reminds me about his YFAS casting. Initially SSR was cast as Jaekyung aka evil bro but he declined. And PHJ was casted as Jaekyung. They filmed with PHJ as evil bro, however along the way, another actor pulled out and the role as Song Yi's boyfriend aka nice bro was offered to PHJ which he took. The role as evil bro was then reoffered to SSR and he took it. SSR thinks he was very lucky. The role as JaeKyung did catapult his career when he just returned from the army.

@moonbean I follow PHJ and Secret on soompi, unfortunately there is no info about air date yet. They are still filming, and it seems to run smoothly~

@katakwasabi

I thoroughly enjoyed SSR as the villain in YFAS, I was so bored with the hero.

@outofthisworld Jaekyung was the saving grace of YFAS. Without him nothing would have happened with the plot 🀣

@outofthisworld If you really follow Park Hae Jin, you will see there’s politics in his failure to rise up in Korea despite his large international market. Unluckily is an understatement. Have anyone noticed he hasn’t been a lead on a public channel drama yet?

Studio Dragon has proven that pre-produced doesn't equal better working condition so it depends on those production companies behind the show.

Studio Dragon doesn't always have a bad track record for pre-produced dramas. The directors also need to take blame for poor working conditions. I still believe on an average pre-produced dramas have better work conditions than live shoot dramas and leave more room for creativity which is why I believe the trend won't die. Especially with Netflix entering the market with their work ethic of big budget, high quality, pre-produced drama production houses might just want to emulate it since it would be trendy.

"Doesn't always" is not an excuse but I do agree that the PD needs to be responsible like PD Ahn Pan-seok and his production company.

Yes, I think pre-producing won't die either but it's going to be hard to do as "often" as they should if they don't make a profit etc.

I don't think anyone wants ARTHDAL to fail but it's disappointing to hear about the worker's complain and even the local ratings. The truth is every drama wants to be successful at home and abroad.

you are right.. Korean entertainment is expanding right now.. and not limited to japan/china/south asian markets..

the potential has brought in big investors so highly likely we are going to see more big budget/ innovative or westernized concepts.. and soon enough.. local ratings won't even be the only target

More Korean actors and creative staff are moving to LA in order to tap into the Nextflix lucrative spending on TV shows. Netflix green lights projects, pays a premium but lets the production company alone to finish the series. Netflix needs preproduced shows because it is also feeding the binge viewing audience.

From what I have read over the past few years, Korean productions are getting squeezed because networks used to pay full production costs (in house) but now that is outsourced to independent producers who have to find advertisers, PPL, and other revenue sources to finish a project. And when money is tight, it is the staff's pay that often does not get paid.

They had to sell the drama to other countries. The casting is famous and it had to help to sell it.

Yes, because everyone me included assume that those names, and good team with proven track record + Netflix money will guarantee quality watch. Now it possible that people won't put that kind of money upfront, and studio lost some trust as reports of it's value plummeting indicate.

Are You Human Too didn't really discourage them. The fact it was preproduced was a good thing, because all the CGI were good. But the scenario was disapointing at the end and robot stories are not the favourite theme of Korean. It was very expensive drama and ratings were not very good. It's sad for the casting because they were pretty good.

Netflix will still keep putting in money since they are trying to crack the Korean market. Their numbers have more than doubled since last year so they are happy to keep experimenting. They have no ceiling for project costs. Netflix is very generous with their budgets and they don't cancel a show even when the numbers are poor. They only cancel a show when they don' t approve the concept anymore like they did with Sense8 despite its cult following. Personally I never liked Sense8 so I was not sad to see it go.

I agree. However, I think if they focus on making 30 episodes and have budget with costumes and less cgi and places. I think it will get high ratings. Happy Father’s Day!!!

Perfume has been surprisingly good and the ratings are reflecting that. Shin Sung-Rok is killin' it. I can't wait to see his character growth.

One Spring Night is also killing it. Best romance I have watched in a long time. I was trying to think of one I liked better and I am having to go all the way back to my Kdrama roots to find one that I loved quite a much.

Shin Sung Rok, Go Won Hee and Ha Jae Suk are amazing in Perfume and I can't imagine anyone else playing their roles, to the point I'm glad Eric, Kim Ji Suk and Go Chun Hee declined this. Hahahaha

Fun info: KBS achieved an all kill with drama ratings recently. All KBS current airing dramas (prime time, weekenders and daily dramas) achieved no 1 in its respective time slots. Congrats to all casts and crew!

MBC's new time slot seems to work in its favor. However, it is not yet sure if the new time slot will be continued or they will change it back to 10pm. Some viewers are complaining 9pm is too early. Regardless of timeslot and ratings, Spring Night is ranked high on the buzzworthy drama list and both JHI & HJM are topping the buzzworthy actor list.

I thought everyone agreed Perfume is bad ? The rating is great !

Not everyone thought Perfume is bad. It does touch sensitive issues. And it depends highly on how a viewer views and interpret it.

Korean viewers comments in general are: the show is more interesting then they thought it would be and they find it fun, plus they like the actors and are singing praises for them.

All in all..it all depends on preference. Perfume had an okay start, hopefully the story does not go into shambles as it moves forward. Ahahaha

I'm not commenting on my own opinion since I didn't watch it, it's just you're the first positive opinion i've ever seen (in a mass of many negatives one haha). But good that it satisfy at least few people. I'm just surprised.

I think it’s just international viewers that have an issue with the fat shaming. Korea doesn’t see that being problematic at all.

Search Www is a gem. It deserves more ratings.

Not one single weekday drama reached double digits this week

Chief of Staff rating is higher than I thought ... anyone tune in? Comments? :)

it is good. the way small issues have been moving too fast and getting resolved is a bit of a stretch from reality but it is entertaining, and the long term plot seem intriguing so far, acting and chemistry are great

Ooh! That looks promising! Thanks for the comment :)

Another vote for Chief of Staff ^^ agree with comment above that issues blow up and get fixed a bit too fast - in another drama everything might have taken 4-6 episodes to unfold - but it's great fun to watch. The pace is like that of a movie (which has a much tighter time window than drama). Acting (by everyone) is stellar. I can see why Lee Jung Jae decided to come back to the small screen for this.

Wed-Thurs dramas are getting interesting. ALML and OSP is halfway and while i am rooting for OSP, i have read good reviews about WWW too. I like im soi jung too, will watch once OSP ends. I hope MBC stays with the 9pm timeslot, 10pm is too late to livestream. Hoping OSP will continue to be good. I am still cautious as i remember the 2nd half of SITR lol

I see that Nokdu has been having relatively similar numbers..at least it has its own followers week after week. Its combination of great acting, fast pacing, cinematography, good writing that most of the time stays close to the historical reference events actually deserve a little more love from the audience. I've said this before but I'll say it again.. I always feel like watching a veeeery long movie about the Donghak Peasant Revolution. Now with the latest eps it's become more than that--like a glimpse into the history of South Korea at the time of the Sino-Japanese War through the eyes and lives of these fictional characters. And how amazing is that? Gosh. Wish I could force people to watch this great piece. I'm sad that it's about to end.

Hats off to SBS for hiring a competent writer and pd which is usually the weakness of many sageuks lately.
In addition, most of the cast are on top of their games. Some are showing the best performance of their career.
NOKDU is definitely the sageuk of the year, at least for me.

It's the best sageuk this year for me too! The writers are doing an amazing job balancing scenes that push the fictional storyline and the historical events altogether. Having the romance on the side is a plus, too! Like it's definitely affecting (both YK-JI and YH-MY couples), but it doesn't take center stage which could've turned me off. And yes, the cast--best performances from the lowly butchers, slaves, to highest ranking officials (even the actor playing Takeda who purposely talks in awkward korean). Can't say enough of this drama, really.

I actually really love the YK-JI romance. I always feel romance in sageuk is a bit too forced and awkward for my taste, but i'm in love with the relationship of those two. And like you said, it's good because it's a side romance, and not the main story. This is what makes it so great.

Yup! My point exactly. Sometimes when writers get swayed and put so much focus on the romance the other important stuff get pushed to the sidelines. But in Nokdu the writers are staying true to the story they want to show before anything else. It actually contributes to the weight of the romance..because stakes are higher. It makes us realize how easy it is to love, but so hard for two people to be together when there are too many issues far greater than themselves they have to face. While YK-JI love story is on a national level, YH-MS seems more like a reverse Candy story - Romeo&Juliet mash-up.

Not apropos of much but this is the same network that last year cut 8 episodes each from two dramas in the same week: 30B17 and YSY’s YOUR HONOR.
It is to SBS’s credit that both of their sageuks this year HAECHI and NOKDU FLOWER are excellent.

Oh. Right. Maybe it's always a hit or miss when it comes to dramas. This is true for all broadcast networks. Sometimes they have good writer-bad director combos or vice versa. Or sometimes they have good both and so we get beautiful pieces like Nokdu.

i'm seeing people talking about it being the sageuk of the year... But it's like the best sageuk i've ever seen lmao. If ever you have good sageuk recs, don't hesitate !

I'm trying to motivate my best friend to watch it too, but it's hard :( Such a good drama though.

Poor The Secret Life of My Secretary it deserves better 😞

I agree. I know it's not the most popular of all the currently airing dramas, and a lot of people really hated the lie, but I've really enjoyed the story and the characters. It's better than people are giving it credit for.

It's the characters that make this drama good anyway. The writers actually did a good job making me feel emotionally attached to these characters enough to stay until the end.

The characters are 100% the driving force behind this drama. If it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't love it so much.

This is what keeps me around. The premise itself isn't anything special, which is why I wasn't originally planning to watch this, but I love all the characters and their interactions with each other.

Yup! rare to see the 2nd female lead actually rooting for our heroine to be together with the lead. Lol.

Still watching Secret of My Secretary, still loving it, still wishing more people liked it. But ah well, guess that's life.

It's okay. It's one of those under appreciated dramas in terms of ratings but we all know how a lot of beanies watch and enjoy it. I'm still in for this cute couple rain or shine, they make my heart flutter and that's enough. I'm excited for reconciliation. I hope writer nims will make it up to Min Ik for all the pain they caused him. Lol

I'm so excited for the moment when the two of them finally work things out and officially get together. Because they're so incredibly cute as a couple, and they suit each other So well.

I know that Abyss is going to be a late trending OnDemand drama event. It might not right now but even if the first couple episode aren't interesting, if you watch a bit more it gets interesting.