Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

stroopwafel

Abyss: I’m not even sure why I’m still watching, but here I am. The drama, in a word, is disappointing. Definitely not at hot mess levels (ahem, Item) but there’s nothing holding my interest. With each passing episode, I feel my interest waver more and more. Instead of being drawn in by the storytelling, it just feels like the plot is treading water. I don’t particularly care about any of the characters (not even my girl Park Bo-young) and though I’m still curious about the Abyss, I’m not sure I care enough to watch all the way to the end.

mary

My Fellow Citizens: I marathoned the last six hours this week (ie everything that happened after Yang Jung-gook won) and I love how the conman is outraged, “Why is everyone so petty and lazy and corrupt?!” towards his fellow representatives. But it’s also sad because all that stuff about shamelessness and partisan politics are true. Another thing I loved about this show is how there are women everywhere. There’s a police chief and an expert swindler and a loan shark and a campaign strategist and they all happen to be women, and the story just flows along like your usual K-drama. I remember thinking plot-wise it would’ve been the same if you put guys in those roles (as is the usual), but the show seems to be saying the same thing in reverse: “This show could’ve been the same with a woman in those roles too, so why not?” ♥ I will miss this show and I hope the peace sign at the end as Jung-gook walks back to office is a hint of season 2. My Fellow Citizens was so good at highlighting ridiculous truths, so wouldn’t it make sense if a certain reprobate (Yang Jung-gook) is elected back into office?

Special Labor Inspector Jo: Aww… another satisfying show that finished running this week. I was gonna nitpick on the finale, but then Woo Do-ha hung his head after helping them and said, “I messed up a lot of things” and Jo Jang-poong answered, “It’s okay, you fixed a lot of things too.” How can you stay nitpicky after that? This show wasn’t perfect, but it gave me 16 hours of fan service and capers and redemption arcs. And a gang who’s always fighting hard not just to take down baddies, but to reform those they can get their hands on too. I may not remember the details five years from now, but for two hours a week for the past two months, I was immersed in a world where justice prevailed. The antics in the final episode were simplistic, but I love that the show circled back on all the people that Jang-poong helped and showed them helping back in small ways. It’s a message that I could use right now, when the real world feels so overwhelmingly evil that the guilt of not doing something drastic can paralyze you. So it’s nice that the show ended with the message that tiny decisions to do what’s right will add up if we do it together. My heart will remember being hopeful.

Angel’s Last Mission: Love: WHAAAT is happening??? You can’t do this to me, Show. I was enjoying the over-pious angel sweetly butting heads with the ice princess, but now my enjoyment will come with a side of sadness because Kang-woo’s handsome, mopey face will hang in the background. 🙁

Lookout: I forgot what zombie/apocalypse show I was looking for in my Netflix queue when I found this buried in my watchlist and pressed play on it instead. I’m loving it so far though I had to skip some of the scenes in the first two hours because they were milking Suji’s family tragedy too much. That or I just hate the evil so much that I wanted to get to the part where they start their messy group-revenge and give all the baddies their comeuppance. Which might or might not include their amoral leader..?

Laica

Currently reviewing: Her Private Life

My Fellow Citizens: I’m very behind on this show, but that’s because I’m savoring the ride. It continues to be delightful in every way, from its hilarious and detailed jokes, to its emotional stakes; from the on-point writing and directing to the wonderful performances from every member of the cast. My only complaint is that at the end of episode 26 Mi-young still doesn’t know the truth about Jung-gook’s past, and the revelation is going to be especially painful when she realizes her whole family knew and didn’t tell her—but even that is less a complaint about the show, which is doing as excellent a job as possible with a plot-centric lie like this one, and more my own sympathy for the emotional wreckage that’s inevitably coming Mi-young’s way. Siwon continues to be reliably funny and relatable, no surprise there. But I adore the women in this drama, and the way they’re allowed to be tough, vulnerable, gorgeous, violent, complicated and hilarious, sometimes all at once. Lee Yoo-young is not only a badass, she’s the leader in every room she enters (including when she’s alone with her husband—and he loves it). Kim Min-jung’s performance as Hoo-ja is my favorite of her career, and I give so much props to the show for giving us such an interesting female villain. I’m cynical by nature so this rarely happens, but My Fellow Citizens has completely gained my trust and I believe it will be great to the end. *prays*

The Secret Life of My Secretary: I’m conflicted about this show. One one hand, the chemistry between Jin Ki-joo and Kim Young-kwang, and their character dynamic as Boss and Secretary Jung, is the cutest thing I’ve seen in a long time, and it’s made this my crack drama of the moment. And although I usually really dislike plotlines where one character is lying about who they are when the relationship starts, in this case I could totally understand Gal-hee’s feelings in the beginning, because for her the charade isn’t rooted in trying to make him fall for her, but in the stinging injustice of societal structures that mean that she’s probably always going to be poor. Her desire to temporarily experience the luxurious lives of the elite she’s been miserably serving for years is so relatable. Except that this week it went too far. Gal-hee should have told Min-ik the truth the morning after their conversation at the beach—at that point she had already accepted that things were over, so it makes no sense even from a character perspective that she would prolong the torture. And it’s a little too much to keep believing that Min-ik knows nothing when the clues are continuously piling up (that sauna sequence was funny, but also, come on). Still, these actors are selling it so well, and I can’t help enjoying every moment these two spend together. I’m also falling for the ridiculous but surprisingly pure-hearted Veronica in her interactions with Dae-joo and Gal-hee’s awful little sister. Not to mention that the humor in the show kills me, as do Gal-hee and Min-ik when they share little pieces of their hearts with each other. I just wish that kiss hadn’t happened while he thought she was Veronica. That’s going to be difficult to forgive. (Imma need Coffee Prince levels of fallout and reconciliation to fix this one, you hear me, Show?)

tccolb

Her Private Life: To be fair, it wasn’t perfect and a lot of the backstory/childhood stuff felt excessive and unnecessary. However, I really appreciated how the show handled each of the characters. They were flawed and made mistakes. And, yes, it can be annoying to watch, particularly when it comes to petty second leads. But even if it was just a little bit, we were shown growth and maturity in all the characters which is unfortunately rare to see. I was fully expecting a case of noble idiocy and/or angry outbursts with the final conflicts. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised that everyone was acting like real adults, openly communicating, and showing compassion and consideration. It may not be realistic to have everything tied up neatly, but the characters and their choices felt real.

Kang’s Kitchen, Season 2: There’s a lot of similarities with Season 1, but ther dynamics are still super fun and I laughed a lot through the first episode. I’m developing a lot of fondness for newbie P.O. as well. He was so sweet in The Journey To the West 5 and 6. But I didn’t realize how good he was at cooking and how helpful he would be! I don’t know if it’s luck or fate, or just part of Na PD’s genius. But he’s really good at casting groups of people that just mesh well together on his shows. I sometimes wonder if he knew 10+ years ago, when he first started working on 1 Night 2 Days with Kang Ho-dong, Lee Su-geun, and Eun Ji-won, that their friendship and chemistry could create entertainment gold for years to come.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Abyss: A-/B+ Getting better, and good guys are getting smarter, and we have Park Bo-young :) I don't think it ever was as bad as some people say, just different from what we're used to. More deaths, fewer bodies. Hey, no-body-not-dead :) People totally changing appearance and being believed is just a send-up of k-surgery, and it's no more absurd than trip-kisses, childhood connections, falling off a cliff while injured and being healed, and all the other silliness that kdramas have trained us to accept.

Voice 3: B/C+: True to type. The emergency parts are good (though not as good as in the first half of Voice 1) and the non-emergency parts are lame (again).

Absolute Boyfriend: C/B+ for day 4. Behind and likely to drop.

My Fellow Citizens: A/A: There needs to a a "Best Casting" award for whoever hired Lee Yoo-Young, Kim Min-Jung & Park Kyung-Hye.

Angel's Last Mission: B+/A-:

Her Private Life: C/B for the week; B/B+ for the series. After suffering thru day 15 of this, I hope people will stop complaining about bad writing in Abyss.

One Spring Night: Dropped

Secret Life of My Secretary: B+/B+ Dropped after day 1 (boycotting face-blindness), now giving it another try because of positive comments here. This week was days 2 - 4 1/2.

First score is how much I liked it this week; 2nd is sorta-kinda how objectively good I think it was.

Totally agree for "Best Casting" award. I can't imagine other actresses playing their characters.

You are a very strict and demanding judge, but it is ok.
Personally I enjoy the laughs and the easy way I can lost myself in fiction because I am not too much satisfied with my real life at the moment. And that is why I can still watch things like: secret life of my Secretary or absolute boyfriend, but depending on my mood I would drop these shows.

I don't agree with you about Abyss even if I desperately want to. I kind of like the crazy, hot mess nature of it and I for one was hoping it wasn't as shallow and badly-written as it first appeared. I really thought it had potential for the writer to pop up halfway through and yell "Ha! Fooled you!"

But I'm afraid they've lost me for two reasons
1. I now believe they're being sincere in their original statements about souls and appearances. With a character now getting plastic surgery that has the same result as soul reanimation, I can't overlook the subtext here anymore
2. They obviously panicked at how dumb and annoying their male lead was in comparison to how smart and awesome their female lead was. And so they've dumbed her down and retconned him as some kind of super genius. And it's a really obnoxious thing to watch.

So I hope you show up next week and yell "Chingu! You were wrong! Pick it back up!". But I'll stop watching and wait for then.

@leetennant
You are not alone on those observations.

- Completed -

Beautiful World: The ending was hopeful. The show wanted to show viewers what kind of world we would have if we handled things like the positive characters and people can change for the better. Though I was disappointed to have a Big Villain.

Her Private Life: Good OTP. A bit too perfect towards the end but it still entertained me. Less episodes and no childhood backstory would be better.

My Fellow Citizens: Yeah Park Hoo Ja! The last episode rushed Mi Young's discovery of Jung Gook's identitiy. The show even made her say they didn't have time to talk about it and had to defeat Park Hoo Ja. Beside that character's arc, I had a great time and it's one of my favourite 2019 drama.

Special Labor Inspector Jo: I binge watched for the finale and it was so good to see a kind of superhero in an Ahjusshi form backed up with a wonderful team!

- Currently watching -

Angel's Last Mission: Shin Hye Sun is killing it. The romance doesn't attract me because L could just be her friend/guardian angel and support her. The kiss doesn't mean anything for him, an angel. Her connection with LDG's character makes me more curious.

Don't Fight With Fools Even When You Get Pissed Off: ep 3. This week it was the delusional fool. Well, I felt bad for the woman being played but it brought funny misunderstandings.

Different Dreams: ep 13-14. YJ is playing a dangerous game and I'm even more scared because love and jealousy is starting to get involved.

Kakafukaka: ep 6. Why doesn't she look for an other house? She reminds me more of a housekeeper than a share house mate. I don't even want to think about the guys who use her for their own benefits.

Le Coup de Foudre: ep 30. Big Bro and BBF couple always made me anxious because they don't have the same vision of the future. I hope what the company is going though will teach Yan Mo and Dachuan to work together and bring better results. Knowing Yan Mo and Qiaoyi will get marry helps me take a backseat in their relationship and makes me more about how they interact and solve conflicts.

Nokdu Flower: ep 19-20. It's the beginning of sad events, isnt it? Sadder than before, to be more specific for the Donghak members.

One Spring Night: This friendship is a pretext for both of them to meet. If it was well intended, they shouldn't hide it. Even if JI isn't sure of her feelings, discussing with her boyfriend could make things clearer. Then again, he knows the pharmacist, they have the same friend circle, is it really worth it? I felt bad for JI's boyfriend until now but when he said he could have sex with her whenever he wants because they're dating... I had the same reaction as JI.

Save Me 2: Pastor Sung and the villagers are so blinded that they lied to the police when they asked them about Elder Choi. The last scene with Pastor Sung and the fake wife tells me the pastor knows...

The last scene with Pastor Sung and the fake wife tells me the pastor knows some things and might become an accomplice (that doesn't know everything) or he will believe other lies that will feed his ego as God's choice.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: I want the secret to be out. They "broke up" but they just delayed the fatal moment.

The Wind Blows: I started watching for Kim Sung Cheol and he's cute as a CEO for the moment. Now the leads... the whole hidden-illness-from-spouse plot and make-up plan make me surprised because it doesn't make sense. The couple is frustrating with the sick and jerky husband and the wife's desire to have a baby to make things better (LOL no).

Kim Sung Choel from to.Jenny is in That Wind Blows? I may check it out then.

Yes it's him :)

@mango
RE: Kakafukaka..............
I can't watch anymore. Even with Morikawa Aoi who I love on screen - what this show says about treating women is too brutal.

I understand you!

I'm only watching because the episodes are short and

I didn't want to add something else so there shouldn't have "and" 😅

Same thoughts on Beautiful World. It would have been the best drama I've seen this year if they'd not had the evil chaebol mess. I wanted the show to continue with it's more subtle explorations and that part felt jarring and had little nuance to it.

Beautiful World has worked on characters' flaws and gave us the hope everyone can change and isn't completely evil. Adding The Absolute Bad Guy kind of lessen the nuances and the even lessen the culpability of his family. He's the one who's punished like a criminal, others live with their heavy consciousness but it seems to easy.

Everything he did was an easy way out for the writer. I wanted complexity.

Secret Life:
I don't foresee the secret being out any time soon. I'm okay with that if the writers are planning a twist reveal where he already knew/suspected and wasn't upset about it, but I'm not okay with it it the reveal is going to mean a truckload of unbearable angst and heartbreak. No thank you.

The Secret Life of My Secretary
The heart of the show is still beating on strong with the exceptional chemistry between the main couple, though I’m left scratching my head at the iffy concept of the 12-hour affair and the way it played out with Min Ik not being able to put two and two together with all the blatant hints dropped. I am willing to forgive that as well as the questionable medical stuff for the sake of the romance, but the rest of the drama is a big negative (other than Veronica): in particular I really dislike that Min Ik got attacked because he randomly picked up a USB, with Gal Hee going to suffer the same way now.

My Absolute Boyfriend
Just when I thought Wang Joon deserved some pity for the unluckiness he faced when attempting to reverse the noble idiocy he pulled by telling Da Da the truth, the preview comes around and he’s back to being insecure once again, with him manipulating Young Gu emotionally and physically intimidating him. It’s going to get worse with the manager being MIA now since she certainly is a good anchor for the top star as opposed to the boss. I’m not liking any bit of the Diana arc since Young Gu being found means happy and cute Yeo Jin Goo will be no more. Yeah I’m biased that way.

Her Private Life
Many Beanies have already analysed the nonsensicality of the trauma stuff at length so I won’t elaborate further on it. Personally, I was really disappointed that the show decided to abandon the fangirl premise that was in its synopsis and throw all the usual rom-com elements at us. Like, where were the comparisons between fangirl love and romantic love? The differences between fans and saesangs? The prejudice against fans by the general public? Even the drama about Deok Mi hiding her fangirl identity from Shi An would be more refreshing to watch than the generic plot that played out.

Abyss
Sure, the kiss was awesome especially when Park Bo Young took the lead and made it look so pretty, however, from a narrative perspective it was pretty jarring to watch especially after seeing Ji Wook murder someone happily. I’m also not convinced how Se Yeon went from ‘oh Cha Min has always supported me’ to ‘I love him now’ so quickly, but I’ll hope next week does have a flashback which elaborates on this. Oh wait, who am I kidding, the drama moves so fast: I laughed seeing Mi-Do’s reaction to everything that had happened because likewise as a viewer I feel so dumbfounded.

Regarding HPL, I really was also disappointed that they didn't delve more into DM and SiAn's relationship post her and Ryan getting together because they obviously had the time. We see her friend's marriage was certainly affected by the whole fangirling thing. I just think there was a lot of comedy that didn't get mined from the issue. It's funny because when the drama was first announced, I was afraid they were going to have a love triangle with SiAn. I didn't want that, but I actually wanted SiAn more in the drama....but not in an angsty way.

Ahhh, so this and the childhood plots are where many beanies had issues with the drama. Because I didn't have a problem with what they showed. I didn't expect the drama to truly dwell into the fangirling aspect of it. The tone of the initial episodes told me it wouldn't go that far, even with few scenes of them. (The trailer did tease us about fangirling, though)

I have seen this more as a drama about arts and the characters appreciation of them.

I didn't want a serious exploration of fangirling in Korea, but I just thought there would be more comedic aspects to it once they got together. I mean they could have shown that maybe Sian got one shelf instead of her whole apartment. lol Just little things. I actually loved this drama even more so because I watched a few other rom/coms recently, and I realize how well the lead characters were written in HPL versus the other dramas.

Loved this shows gentle artistic characters...

Secret Life of My Secretary:
I'm completely ignoring most everything going on outside of the romance, because I don't care about it, lol.

And I think it's still possible the writers will pull a 'he knew all along/he already knew by the time they went to the sauna/he suspected the whole time/he suspected by the time they went to the sauna' twist. They can still pull it off at this point. Nothing they've done is Impossible to explain away. And because I need, Need him to have known or suspected already once they went to the sauna, so he can bring it up later and tease her about how silly she looked, lol. I Need It!

My Fellow Beanies,

Rescue Me from the Abyss of Angel L's Dimples.

He really knows how to get the most out of them.....

Heh. The dimple list is growing. :)

Let’s just enjoy our secret life as Special Dimple Inspector!

Her Private Life: I would easily watch through episode 12 or even 14 again. It's not that I hated the last two episodes but they just felt unnecessary for me. Really enjoyed the rom/com ride though I totally agree with tccolb. Sometimes 16 episodes are just too long. However, watching this couple fall in love, deal with the funny fangirling issues and truly get to know each other as 33 year old adults in a romantic, mature relationship was entirely enjoyable to me. On MDL it said this is the writer's first drama, and I'll definitely keep an eye out for future projects.

Angels's Last Mission: I've already started skipping through the toxic family stuff because I don't care, but the end of episode 8 really surprised me. I didn't see that coming.

My Fellow Citizen: I just started it and am looking forward to delving more into the drama given the positive reviews.

Beautiful World: A thoroughly beautiful ending for a beautiful and hopeful show. Aww, it's nice to already have a personal Show of The Year even before the first half of the year ended.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: This week eps is both cute and wistful, and I'm continue dreading the inevitable confrontation and falling out between our leads.

Nokdu Flower: With Beautiful World ended, I finally has the attention span needed to savor this drama. I'm slowly catching up to the latest eps, and it's clear that the writer and PD put so much thought in each and every scene. The sea of white clothed peasants with their bamboo spears gave me goosebumps (especially with that Bird, Bird, Bird song in the background).

Bird, Bird, Bird elevated that gorgeous scene! I was ready to stand on their side.

Secret Life:
I'm choosing to be blissfully ignorant to the possibility of s*** hitting the fan, because La LaLa LaLaLa, I Can't Hear You, lol.

ALALALALALA I'M AWAKE
Shouldn't be tho.
Watching:
Angel drama. Just started. No opinion. But 1 Corinthians 13. LOL.
Secret Life of My Secretary. KYK is KYK. It's cute and funny. But I hope the lie is cleared up asap.

Probably gonna start:
Arthdal. Cos Campy fantasy trash is my crack.
and something else but dunno what!

Finished:
Her Private Life.
Review is on my wall lmao.

I'm going to wait Beanies' review about Arthdal. I generally have trust issue with fantasy k-drama, and the terrible promo materials for this show is not helping. But if it turned out to be epic, I might be persuaded to pick it up.

I will make sure to update you on how it goes then :P

My family went viral - Episode 8 was so good and this drama always hits the human side. The stuff that you keep inside until it explodes and suddenly becomes bigger cause of the hurt.
Kakafukaka - The heroine is a typical tstl. I love how the other female character tells her the truth. I hate all the guys here.
Majo no Jōken - i don't know if it was the 90s or just it's a melo but damn, this drama seems to have been created more so you can curse at the characters, then for you to believe their love.
Second Love - I'm trying to care, but the drama is too slow for me.
Pride - Aside from the weird camera work, I enjoy this old drama.

Also I'm enjoying my time as a red velvet fan privately, cause if anyone knew I'm a vip and like red velvet, the gg stan feminist squad would come to get rid of me. Sigh... How did this world end up like this with people having to judge everyone for everything 😔😣

MUKAI is awesome show. Quality Content. All those generic romance stories can't stand against him, leave alone competition.
. I have reserved this name for final episode and 2 weeks later comment.

Someone made an article on HEISEI dramas. And i was surprised no one mentioned Kyoko Fukada's

God, Please Give me More Time -

The only one i can think who would have watched this drama among present members is @JOHN

I find more Main stream Japanese Drama - average at best.
I just don't get pride.
Sam with Rich Man, Poor Woman.

Hehe I can understand that threat.

My Family Went Viral ✅

Ugh, I love Majo no Jouken and Pride! 😍

I watched Pride not to long ago and do want to try more of Takuya Kimura's past work.

I watched Mr brain too, but I put it on hiatus in episode 2 cause i am in the mood for romance.

My Fellow Citizens: Although I wasn't a big fan on how Hoo-Ja and Mi -Young, overall the drama was a fabulous experience. The characters are sooooo human. The disgust with how rotten politicians are. Hoo-Ja awkwardly playing off mistakes. It was also HILARIOUS, DJ Wang-Do on the 10s and 2s. Just an underrated well written show, with fabulous women characters. I'll recommend this to everyone.

Special Labor Inspector Jo: What a bloody joyous ride. It wasn't perfect, but it didn't have to be. I loved every piece of it, from the wink and smile to Jo Jin Gab's sense of justice. 😍😍

Secret Life of My Secretary: Are the leads cute? Absofreakinglutely, Do they have chemistry? In Spades. Do I like the lies? NOPE. It sours the whole thing especially when they kissed. It is a consent thing and I don't like because she could just tell the truth, and although it would suck, it would make things more consensual. Ironically, although he is her boss, she has the power in the relationship. It is one sided, it'll be interesting to see how they resolve it.

Angel's Last Mission- Love: Shin Hye Sun is truly a gem. She is so excellent in this role that she elevates L. She makes him more interesting. That being said the drama is coming along smoothly and I'm loving it. The kiss was 🤔 interesting. Hmmm

One Spring Night: I was reminded in this last episode why i hated Pretty Noona. The utter unnecessary angst. The drive of the characters to be unreasonable when simply communicating and telling the truth wiuld solve most issues. I'm not saying it would be easier, just thst it would solve a great many problems. Seo-In, break up with your boyfriend, sit down and tell the truth to yourself about your feelings regarding Ji-Ho, deal with the fallout, and then date Ji-Ho. Boom. Will Ki-Seok be upset? Of course, will he get over it in time? Yes. It is especially frustrating because in Her Private Life, they are open, communicative, and honest. I hope it gets better or I'm going to dtop it.

Rescue Me 2: Our resident horrible hero has unfortunately hit a rock. Nobody is willing to be on his side because he sucks as a human bring. Even now he is only going after Elder Choi because he wants to be proven right and not because he cares the vilkagers are being scammed. His treatment of his mother is disgusting and I'm kind of glad he was tied up. That being said I am so disappointed in the pastor, I thought he was better than that. Meh, hopefully he doesn't go fully dark.

Her Private Lufe: The romance in this drama was perfect. They communicated, supported each other, loved each other, fought in an adult way, and for the most part were't swayed by nonsense. 😍😍😍 I do have some criticisms, the writers having Deok Mi forget a whole brother was too much, I have never bern so blown by such nonsense in my life, all I could ask was, what in the ridiculous amnesia kdrama nonsense is this? That being said it was resolved quickly and it led to a scene with two of...

On how Hoo-Ja and Mi Young ended.

CRICKET - Terrible 1st week. Trashy Opening Party.

I want competitive matches. SUMMER Heat is annoying me.

Japanese - Mukai - 8 out of 10. This show fit so well the modern self-centered interent world.

Kakafukaka - I dislike Shoujo trash and story is so generic but someone is quite interested in it so i'm thinking about trying this show.

My true friend - trash. dropped at episode 04. Watched few scenes here and there. Its still bleh. 4/10

Just an Encore - dropped. Another runof the mill Chinese Youth drama. the exact porn. 3/10

My Commissioned Lover - Low budget soup. this one is soap opera. 4/10

In past few months several movies came and i'm the only one who talked about them. AMusing.

Hello Debate Opponent - average. Translation. Another Youth drama but still have quite likable characters. 7/10 i'm enjoying the debate competition the most. WRITER seems serious about the theme of the show but know nothing how to move forward. He/ She has topic at hand and knows the outcome but doesn't know how to achieve the outcome. result - lack of logic in various episodes and as usual nonsensical forced ROMANCE fanservice.

I still Consider Kdramas better than Chinese usual trash.
Chinese Market is just pandering to the needs of young blood teenagers. Don't expect any logic or rational from a chinese drama, especially romantic one.

TOUCH -

Yesasia - 66$ for a CD - yes no dvd. no blu-ray. A CD. Movie budget is quite low too.
CD JAPAN - 55$ for a CD. I buy lot of my manga stuff from here.
Why do you want to loot your customer?

Meeting Adachi Mitsuru fans is difficult. That's why I keep mentioning him here because few years ago there were 2 guest members who excitedly discussed Adachi Mitsuru's projects. Don't know whether they are active here anymore or not.

I need an excuse to watch the movie. That's why looking for someone to accompany me.

TOUCH and ROUGH.

Adding to your cricket review : even fansigns spend more than they spent on that opening. And whoever had the idea to invite one celebrity and former cricketer from each nation should be given the award of 'the most lazy and ridiculous idea generator of any world cup (in any kind of sports) ceremony' (and I thought last football WC in Russia had it bad)

Completed Her Private Life. I could live without the childhood backstory but there is no noble idiocy portrayed so I’m ok with that. Kim Jae Wook should probably has an insurance coverage for his high cheekbones. So sexy😍

Angel’s Last Mission - so far so good. I’m only up till the 3rd episode though but I’m really looking forward for next episodes.

One Spring Night - ah, this gives me On The Way To The Airport feels (which I love so much) and I’m sticking with this. Can’t wait to see how they’re gonna beat the odds to be together.

Yes! I think One Spring Night is much more like On The Way To The Airport than Something In The Rain. It's more somber and it's story is more mature feeling - two people who've seen life's ups and downs and still find a way to fall in love with each other.

Agreed. It seems like Jeong In is the bad party here for cheating on her longtime boyfriend, but there’s a change of heart and its not the fault of any of them.
Much like in OTWTTA, the characters found solace in each other.
Or maybe I’m just attracted to this kind of plotline. 😅

I will be a bit harsh but kdramas are losing their edge . Chinese dramas are upping their game. Try out the series 'Le Coup de Foudre'. Its on YouTube with English Captions . From the first few minutes you will fall in love with the main characters. There is no over the top cringiness like other c dramas and kdramas now a days. The series has the best op, secondary leads, parents , stepfather and romance and also nails the coming of age . The series has a sort of 'Reply Format' which I love and NO NEED TO WORRY about love triangle because the second lead is main characters brother and probably the best brother in drama history. And as it is coming of age it comes into full showing our chatacters youth as well as their adult life in a very nice balance. Well I will stop preaching , JUST WATCH THE SHOW GODDAMIT , its on YouTube and you can watch it for FREE. 😆😋

I am very open to c-dramas, and I'll probably give this drama a try. But there is no getting over that a lot of c-dramas are way overlong for the story they need to tell. K-dramas are 2 to 4 episodes too long and c-dramas can be 10 to 20 episodes too long. Here to Heart burned me so bad, I haven't really been able to do much in the way of contemporary cdramas though I loved Story of Minglan and Story of Yanxi Palace.

Story of Minglan was my watch to do list. I hope one day. I have time to watch this drama. LOL 😂

I watched Ming Lan but didnt finish it. The reason i started to watch was to see how Ming Lan uses her wits and intellect to destroy her unsuspecting enemies who underestimates her. The pay off for her mom's killer was really good but later i kind of feel like they loose that touch and it seems that Ming Lan has so many enemies and it will be overwhelming for her to tackle so many of them. I will get back to it though , i was kind of waiting for the show to finish so that i can marathon it because its pain waiting for new episodes to come out .

True that .. most cdramas are 30+ and moreover its painful to watch if u knw that they are just dragging the story . Thats why i moved from english series to kdramas in the first place. Because after couple of seasons it becomes evident that they dont have any more story and now they are just milking it. But there are some dramas u feel even 40 episodes arent enough because its that good and you dont want to let go. In other words they completely use those 40+ episodes, because that story required this many episodes , they don't overstay their welcome and give u satisfying ending . Le coup de foundre' fall in that category. It has 35 episodes but towards the end you will be worried that not many episodes are left but u dont want to let them go.

I'm definitely going to give the drama a try. Like I said, I got burned and it's been hard to jump into another contemporary show.

I understand, i also got burned sometimes. But this one is worthd. Hopefully you like it 😊

"In other words they completely use those 40+ episodes"
I think Guardian 鎮魂 did that pretty well. I wasn't bored for a single moment during those 40 episodes.

Oh okay. I will check it out. Thanks.

I never watch Chinese dramas because I cannot stand dubbing, but uploading dramas on YouTube is extremely convenient.

Yes dubbing is my off button

I even refuse to watch anime dubbed. I need to watch in the original languages and voices.

There is literally no way to dub something live action, and it not be weird. It's always obvious that the voice coming out of the character is not their voice, and there's no way to match the voice with the movement of the mouth so that it's not noticeable. Live action is just Not animation, and it never will be.

I used to think that all Cdramas are dubbed, but some aren't or only dub certain actor's voices.
I prefer those.

Ya. I hate dubbing as well. Luckily 'Le Coup de Foudre' is not dubbed.

I'm glad you made this comment about c dramas upping their game and k dramas losing their edge cause I've been feeling the same. Aside from their length, I've totally enjoyed c dramas lately. But something I've noticed in k drama and c drama both is a leaning toward almost autistic male leads. These guys hardly say anything, just stare at the main female lead a lot and do her a few favours. We only know they're great because other characters tell us they are, but really they seem utterly boring except they're good at their jobs. When I started Coup de Foudre I even said in my head, please give the male lead a personality but at least in the first few episodes it ain't there. I'm trying I Hear You on Netflix too and same thing.

But never mind me. I'm one of the only people I know that criticized Because This Life is My First because I thought Lee Min Ki was ripped off of a role - I would NEVER have dated someone so boring.

- SPECIAL LABOR INSPECTOR JO: Completed. I will miss this fun show! It reminded me a lot of CHIEF KIM with its team of underdogs, zany humour, and optimism in the fight for justice.

- THE SECRET LIFE OF MY SECRETARY (Ep. 6): Confession time... I didn’t like the early episodes. I kept watching because I had nothing else to watch. The turning point was the Bubbly Bike Ride of Love. Something clicked for me: It was crazy yet romantic. Yes! I’m a goner when Kim Young Kwan smiles anyway, but I didn’t know he’d be so cute fumbling around. Just gimme more of that, please.

- FATHER IS STRANGE: I just started this, with some trepidation since I’ve recently finished OJAKGYO BROTHERS and SIX FLYING DRAGONS. So far, I can say that Jung So Min is adorable. I love her already, even more than sassy Lawyer Unnie.

- ADOLESCENCE MEDLEY: 4-episode KBS minidrama (2013). It’s pretty good. Kwak Dong Yeon stars as a shy high schooler who decides to live recklessly when he’s transferred to a rural school. He bumps into bullies and catches the eye of the top student (Lee Se Young).

Yay for Father is Strange and Adolescence Medley.

Yes to the "Bubbly Bike Ride of Love"!

Secret Life has my heart and soul, and I am not ashamed, lol.

I'm watching and loving Angel's Last Mission aka 100 Days My Angel. Fierce Ballerina reminds me of what a friend of mine used to say : just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that nobody is following you. I like that both Fierce Ballerina and Cute Angel are in the wrong, she to trust nobody and he to trust everybody. It makes me hopeful that both characters will end up learning a lot and have a satisfying arc- my favourite kind of drama.

I really really want to watch the final 2 episodes of My Fellow Citizens but subs aren't out yet, so I'm waiting. I really enjoyed the first 16 episodes, even though when uri Loan shark isn't on the screen, it's less gripping. Luckily she's on the screen a lot :-)

In the mean time, I've picked My husband, Mr Oh up again, as it turned up on Netflix (not in the US I've been informed). It's fun and even though I've been told that it won't be as good in its final stretch, it kills the time quite nicely as I wait for subs for my current dramas.

Steal themmm.... steal the subsss... pirate it.... join us....

@mary has his the jackpot in watching this week.

*hit
I did read that one sentence 5 times before sending it, I promise.

LOL @ally-le

Lol. My IPad has a life of its own. When I hit send words suddenly change. I don’t know how many times it has tried to change “hyun”, which is common in Korean names, to Hyundai.

Finished watching My Fellow Citizens. It was a fun drama and overall it was a satisfactory watch.

I did not continue watching Angel after ep 2. Just not in the mood, especially after ahjusshi died. And angel wings protects her from a falling chandelier. Pfft 🙄. I don't think I'll continue to watch it on my own for now. If any beanies are doing a rabbit watch for Angel, please inform me, I would like to join too~ hehe

Other than that...I'm waiting for Perfume! 2 more days! Be good please! 🦄

Special Labor Inspector Jo: This drama was so much fun! I loved everyone on Team Jo and their antics and "dramatic" entrances. Big wink and grin.

My Fellow Citizens: This was another fun drama with some smart commentary on politics. Overall it was a satisfying watch although I'm disappointed that Mi Young was under developed as a character.

Secret Life of My Secretary: There are so many dumb and problematic aspects to this drama but gosh darnit, I like the OTP and Veronica Park.

Angel's Final Mission: Love: I'm on the fence with this one. I find Dan entertaining, but I don't generally care for storylines involving angels. The twist was surprising, but it introduces the possibility of yet another plot that I'm not particularly fond of.

Beautiful World: I have hope for Joon Sook. I hope Sun Ho and his family, Dong Hee and Dong Soo, Teacher Lee, etc can make the world a little more beautiful for themselves and others.

The Wind Blows: Well .... I'm always happy to see seasoned actors in drama land. I knew about the Alzheimer's but wasn't expecting the wife to go to such lengths to get a divorce. How do writers come up with stuff. Don't know if I will continue.

One Spring Night - This show elicits such passionate debate among it's viewers and whilst I don't really fully agree with either side (cheating vs non cheating) it's been interesting to read. I will say i'm beginning to have a little issue with the way the relationship between Gi Seok and Jung In is kind of only being shown from his perspective, he's not a very good person but by choosing to show the relationship like this it really frames him in a positive light and Jung In isn't getting that same opportunity. I've seen so many comments defending him and ignoring things he says or does that are actually problematic like his views on consent and his complete non defense of his relationship and Jung In whenever his father brings up marriage etc. It's clear that both parties have lead to their relationship being in the negative place it is now but only one is getting blamed which is unfair, not being a bad person doesn't mean you're good either. The preview for eps 5/6 look like they'll give me some explanation for Jung In's side though hopefully. All in all, i'm enjoying this so far.

Her Private Life - If I had to describe this show in one word it would simply be pleasant. It was easy watching with none of the dramatics that I usually hate but maybe missed a little bit. I still enjoyed it though and it was nice to see Kim Jaewook in a romance drama, the man really can do it all.

Honestly, concerning Gi Seok and Jung In, I don't think one of them is the "villain". When he talked about marriage, I think Jung In started to see their relationship differently. Before it was comfy, but now it has a "for the eternity" side. She hesitates because she doesn't think they have this kind of relationship. Gi Seok continues to act like he used to, like everything is normal and doesn't understand the way Jung In acts. When Jung In has a lot of doubts and questions their relationship.

Agreed with your take on One Spring Night. Hoping for more episodes that will delve more on Jung In’s side of her story and why she fell out of love.

True to form, I am absolutely loving two shows that everyone hates!

I am fascinated by One Spring Night
(and you'll be boggled to know that I can't get enough of Rachael Yamagatas song on the show so have it on repeat during my day😜) I have a major weakness for threshold moments where all hangs on the cusp of a life-affecting decision, and it is excellently captured here both by the brilliant acting and directing.

My other show is Kakafukaka. It reminds me of very young puppies trying to walk- theres a lot of painful stumbling all around. I see this as a window into a social landscape very different from mine...I am befuddled (and scared) by the lack of social competence. This is not limited to Japan.

I've dropped everything else.

I am also only obsessing over One spring night and I have dropped everything else and I also love the OST.

Me, too! I love One Spring Night and it's loud OST. I was just wondering when the next song would be released. I have the songs from this show all day long, and I'm not sad about it. I think it helps that they're actually good songs that bear repeating - Stand By Your Man could not hold up under this sort of repeating!

I'm waiting to see the end reviews for One Spring Night.

I understand lot of viewers feel that way @ndlessjoie

I stayed away from Pretty Noona until after all the hype/furor settled down- this was not due to prescience- I was just so turned off by the early (bad) subs that I just couldn't continue!
So, I absolutely loved it- but then HITTG is my top five fave series. The only thing I would change is 'Stand By Your Man'! But maybe there's some deeper meaning behind driving us INSANE with that repetitive water-torturing drivel.

Idk!

We will let you know ;)

Her private life: Finally it's over ! I wanted to finish the drama but the motivation wasn't there since few episodes already.

My Absolute Boyfriend : I'm getting tired of Ma Wang Jun, and even if Dada doesn't end up with Younggu, I really really don't wan't to see her with her ex. I keep smiling at every dumb but cute stuff Younggu does, so yeah, i'm still enjoying the show so far. Jingoo really fits the role well.

Angel's Last Mission : I only started because i wanted to see how bad it was (and because i'm an Infinite fan) for one episodes or two. But i'm in. I'm surprised at how entertaining I find it to be. I will keep watching for now. Exciting to see how will evolve the OTP's relationship. The revelation at the end of last episode definitely made it more interesting to me.

The Nokdu Flower: The real masterpiece of this drama season. I usually can't get too much into sageuk, but this one keeps getting better. There's just so much happening and never the time to get bored. I'm also a big fan of the relationship between Yi Kang et Yi Kyun, it reminds me so much of Shunji and Kang To of Gaksital.

Shunji and Kang To... The first bromance that broke my heart. I see the same outcome for the brothers.

Right, I remember crying every night for a week after the end of the drama lmao

I remember binge-watching Gaksital (during my exam week!) and crying bloody tears when the two fought. Ah the heartbreak. So raw it still hurts.

Watching with my son cartoons. :-D I've forgotten about Howl's moving castle. It's so beautiful and so on point that when one person who started everything just because of her vanity decides to stop a war it's like a magic it can happen! I discovered Kubo and the two strings and is lovely. Very scary for a little child with vivid imagination. But real world is more scary somewhere out there...

Now I know why children love to rewatch their movies and series. They capt little by little all the stuff and it's good to watch with them to explain some things. It's good to not have a TV, like this he's encouraged to learn other languages as well. He's funny when talking his gibberish mixed words telling it in almost perfect english accent.

ALM - I'm curious how it will turn up.

Howl's Moving Castle is one of my favorite Ghibli movies and one of my favorite children's books. I relate to Sophie on a very deep, spiritual level.

I didn't know it was inspired by a book. Thank you, have to check it out.

Do! It's a children's classic.

her private life: a wonderfully done rom-com that had a lot of poignant moments and nice character arcs. could have done without the childhood connection cliche and maybe introduce the dead brother storyline early on to provide more story to cover in the middle of its run but with leads like PMY and KJW i can't really complain. gonna miss seeing their bts interactions though :(

secret life of my secretary: this week made more sense as to why she is pretending to be Veronica as i couldn't really see why she had to keep pretending when she could have stopped it from that first meeting. Do Min Ik continues to dominate with his heart eyes and puppy face and its gonna be sad watching him be crushed when he finds out the truth. On the other hand LOVE Veronica. She's absolutely zany but not totally one dimensional and her budding frenemy relationship with Gal-hee's sister and budding interest/romance with Dae Joo is my favourite part of this show.

special labour inspector: This show was an absolute delight from beginning till the end and the band of misfits with Kim Dong Wook leading was the highlight of my week. i'm definitely gonna miss Kim Kyung Nam as Deok Koo and his romance with badass Mal Sook which was a surprisingly cute storyline. That wedding scene was everything, that sums up this show and its characters.

Dae Joo bothers me, idk if its the character or the actor, but 100% agree with you on Veronica. Awesome

I know he seems shady but I think that’s his appeal and why I think he’s suitable for Veronica

Special Labor Inspector Jo It was a pleasure to see Jo Jin Gap win them one after the other.

Wednesday-Thursday, love in all its forms days :

Angel's Last Mission: Love Their bickering is the best! I'm very curious about the last scene!

One Spring Night My favourite one! It's so refreshing to see grey characters. They're not bad or kind, just human. Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ignore :)

My Absolute Boyfriend I'm not sure I want to continue to watch this drama. The male leads are meh...

Her Private Life They have a way to handle kids in Korea that is very different in my country. We don't take lost kids in our houses, we let them in orphange suddenly, we don't hide their death, etc.

Different Dreams I'm behind...

Nokdu Flower Yi kang can't die, it's all I ask !

Voice 3 I want Do Kang Woo to be more open and honest with Kang Kwon Joo. Otherwise, I like how they use the same song for the 3 seasons but in a different style : ballad, rock and metal !

Beautiful Worl I think some things could have been better, but it was a great drama.

Arthdal Chronicles I'm curious for the PD, writer and actors. I'm worried about the costume and the plot...

They have a way to handle kids in Korea that is very different in my country.

Preach! Dramaland Korea often makes no sense when it comes to children's mental health or well-being. May I add to your list? Here's a few from my collection:

(1) Did your son survive a kidnapping and witness a suicide? Force the child to play along as you let your other son co-opt his brother's kidnapping trauma and nurse resentment for a couple decades. (What's Wrong With Secretary Kim)

(2) Did your husband just drop dead? Tell the children that Appa's gone on a very long "business trip." They'll eventually forget about him anyway. (Terius Behind Me)

(3) Has Omma been murdered by a serial killer? Shhhh. Give her daughter a doll at the police station and don't answer her questions about when mother's coming back. (Possessed)

(4) Did your grand-daughter witness her father die in a motorcycle accident? Ride out the amnesia and consider it a blessing. (Live Up To Your Name, Heo Im!)

(5) Did you conceive a beautiful but troubled daughter who can see the dead because her father's a Grim Reaper? Don't tell her who her father was and let her think she's crazy. Also, yell at her. A lot. (Black)

If only the cop said the truth to his "sister" the end of The Smile Has Left Your Eyes would have been a happy one >_<

The same for the psy... No no, it's better for a child to end up alone in a orphanage and not treat him for his trauma...

The best part about Terius was when Ahjussi disappeared for a day or so and the kids were way more traumatised by his disappearance than their actual father's.

That show would have worked way better if they were divorced and he rarely saw the kids.

Her private life

Different than most beanies here, I was not annoyed with the childhood connection. I didn't love it either, but it made sense somehow in my eyes. Now, what I wish I could have seen (other than more of Si an, and he finding out who DM was) is Ryan communicating with or at least talking more about his adoptive parents. He did it a couple of times, but after finding out the moms and their guilt, he could have talked more about those who raised him longer than real mother or Ahjumma future mother in law. He could have said: don't feel so bad, I really was raised with lots of love and got a good education. I feel the writer didn't realise an adoptive child can also develop a deep connection with adopted parents, which sometimes would become even more important for obvious reasons.
I don't mean to say he should have rejected his real mother, but he could have said now I have more... He still has to have the love of his adoptive parents, doesn't he?? He could have mentioned to DM he would introduce her to his adoptive parents in New York...
Anyway... I was still happy with this drama because people were matured and unbelievable healthy taking into account emotional traumas from childhood.
I wish Cindy would have also known who DM was.
I wish DM fangirl side would have become known so that she didn't have to hide it, because there is no reason to hide it, but anyway...
Instead I got the almost best male lead I have seen in long long time, so I am ok and happy 😅

I was glad that Ryan mentioned to DM that he was raised well in America with his parents who gave him love, but I did feel the same disconnect re: adoption that you did. Someone on MDL posted an article that explains how adoption is seen in Korea though they are trying to change it. This made me reconsider and think the drama was trying to be subtle perhaps about a still-taboo issue.

Also because of the tense he used, I thought his adoptive parents might be dead but someone noted that in Korean, there is a certain tense or something when they speak about the dead so I am not sure what is going on there and, yes, that's on the drama. I know people who are adopted. Some don't care about finding their biological parents, some do. I think it totally normal RG would want to try and find the truth of his past, but he needs to call his mother in the US once in a while. It was all just very vague ....and don't get me started that he has no curiosity about his father.

Still, I really did love the drama but there are sometimes things that are a little awkward to an international viewer.

Exactly, we international audience share some other values, not that they are wrong..... But again, I am so relieved it didn't turn into a pathetic melo 😂😂😂😂

Mother of Mine: The time has come for Tae Joo to choose between his family’s wishes and his heart’s desires and it’s good to see how steadfast he is. While he might not agree with all the harsh words Mi Ri said about his stepmom I was glad to see he was able to tell her how disappointed he is in her behavior lately. But I think the timing of his proposal was wrong. He first needed to come clean about his identity so Mi Ri could make an informed decision (or not delay for a minute once she accepted him). I wondered whether the proposal would make Mi Ri confess. Her reaction and initial refusal shouldn’t have surprised me considering what she told her mom about her lack of confidence regarding marriage and being a good mom a while back.

I wasn’t expecting the Chinese lady’s advice to the chairman which messed up CEO Jeon’s plans. But in 50 episode dramas baddies usually find a way to turn everything to their advantage. Just when Mi Ri and the chairman relented selfish so called "mother" meddled and destroyed both her children's happiness causing part of the truth to explode in the young lovers' faces. So now it’s time for Tae Joo to learn how much secrets can hurt and damage. And we will see how much of her own secrets Mi Ri will now reveal.

I can’t stand selfish people always trying to justify their actions. I don’t sympathize one iota with Mi Sun’s mother in law. I am tired of seeing Mi Sun sprinting from work in her heels to pick up her daughter while mother in law is playing golf, husband is leisurely doing who knows what. If I was her I would just quit my job.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: This show is still the highlight of my week. Kim Young Kwang's pouts and goofy smiles are killing me but him battling a pantyhose was priceless comedy. ROTFL.

While I did not like Gal Hee to get sucked into yet another - and this time quite extended - date with Min Ik it allowed them to walk in each others’ shoes for a bit. Min Ik is so obviously falling for the real Gal Hee without realizing it that it is making Gal Hee's deception that much harder to forgive (if he wasn't so obsessed by the idea of Veronica he would have realized it). He also said very bluntly that a second betrayal will make him lose his faith in people. The obligatory episode 8 kiss was really unforgivable in this case. At this point I feel so much more for Min Ik than Gal Hee.

I am loving Veronika Park and the bratty sister's chemistry but still not feeling the so-called friend. Veronica is still carrying their scenes single-handedly.

'The irony of this budding relationship is both leads in a way are jealous of themselves.'

That's an observation I hadn't quite made for myself, but it's so true.

Angel’s Last Mission: Love: This is the third show I am enjoying. It is funny and touching.

Abyss: I think this week's episodes improved a lot and I am looking forward to the gang of five's adventures. If they minimize that boring villain's role and the level of stupidity in this show I am still hopeful for an entertaining watch.

My Absolute Boyfriend: Still not feeling the romance with the robot, not only due to the way the robot is portrayed but also the fact that Da Da is still clearly in love with Wang Joon. The show is feeling very old fashioned with its heavy reliance on misunderstandings to keep Da Da and Wang Joon apart.

Her Private Life: This was the most ridiculous (and unnecessary) childhood connection ever.

What I liked about this couple was their portrayal of a natural relationship with Deok Mi staying in Ryan's house most nights.

Time jumps mean characters change their hair and Eun Gi proved to be yet another example of awful hair choices in Kdrama leads with hair covering their forehead. He looked quite dashing after the time jump. I was expecting something between her and Cindy and found them cute together. I am glad they didn't force the other possible loveline. They are better as friends.

Talking about hair, the flashbacks proved my point that the centre part does not suit Park Min Young at all and I am glad they realized this and changed along the way. They also gave her more interesting clothes that fit an art curator instead of the uniform like pantsuits I wasn't a big fan of.

I loved that the final episode included our favorite scenes of the babies falling in the dojo.

Unstoppable High Kick: Well, unfortunately the uncle ship is sailing. Pout.

You are right about My Absolute Boyfriend being old fashioned. Zero Nine is becoming more cheesy because I keep forgetting he's a robot programmed to love and not a human. Ma Joon's jealous fits and Da Da's misunderstandings are getting old.

I don't think the show is capable of pulling off a robot romance. They would have been better off if Young Gu is human.

I'm hoping both Tae Joo and Mi Ri remain steadfast but in the 50 episode drama it highly doubtful that they will (just hope it doesn't go the way of a lot of family dramas where they breakup and are apart until the final episode).

I'm taking Mi Sun's MIL and Mi Sun's husband as the comedy relief in this show (the MIL is someone you can really love to hate). I think Mi Sun could afford a babysitter if her husband didn't hoard his money to spend on himself or if they moved to a less expensive apartment. The MIL reminds me of what my mother told me before I had children: "I raised my children, I expect you to raise yours." Of course, she immediately recanted once my daughter was born and whined that she never got to babysit...

I'm afraid Mi Ri doesn't have self confidence enough to be steadfast so I am expecting it will fall on Tae Joo to persist and try to convince her. I was surprised how quickly they got together and enjoyed their relationship but that's all the drama has going for it. If they separate them for 20+ episodes it would be unbearable. But that's how they hook viewers, every week you hope it will be over. Sigh.

I've selected 3 out of the 7-8 that I'm currently *trying* to watch.

Le Coup De Foudre - I’m picking ad hoc episodes to re-watch because I realised after reading a blog that I missed a whole lot of nuance at first watch. I also realised that I missed Ep 4 and now that I’ve watched it, I’ve come to realise the significance of the wallet left in the pocket and ending up in the washing machine, and when plus how Yan Mo discovered how he felt about Qiao Yi.

There were several thoughtful beats on learning about self and expectations, and great fun in a drunken Yan Mo. The careful portrayal of growing up and communicating or failing to do so, and the grand love story realistically told, elevates this show somewhat from the normal roms or coming of age shows.

Angel’s Last Mission: Love - Equal parts delightfully cute and poignant, this show looks and sounds good and offers much growth possibilities for several characters. Set against a Judeo-Christian understanding of life and God, we are set to watch a battle between what Dan himself remarked upon... how where there is darkness there is light, amidst evil there is good and that death sits alongside life.

There is the temptation of Kang Woo to remain ruthless and self-serving so as to re-enter the rigid world of ballet and gain fame/glory for self, while at the same time, there is the invitation from Dan to let go of past hurts, to forgive and be grateful, to live and dance freely and give joy to others.

Regardless of the ending, this show with it’s funny and profound moments is a keeper.

One Spring Night - Thoughts show evoked ... What is commitment between a couple, and where is the line drawn that determines thoughts and behaviour which count as betrayal and which do not. Show and it’s oft repeated OST is pushing the idea that seasons change and so feelings change and what is implied is that this is supposed to justify betrayal.

With what understanding and promise did two people decide to be a couple with marriage in view, or does not yet being married mean one should still be looking around? And if it’s ok to change partners with changes in one’s feelings, where does true commitment stand.

This is a meant to be a grey, almost moody work exploring couple relationships through the experiences of 3 sisters. I wonder if show dares to go the difficult path of having characters do the unpalatable ‘right’ thing according to their conscience and their values, and still be happy.

Absolute Boyfriend - Da Da’s steady thinking and reasonable behaviour keeps this from going too crazy too soon. Male characters are somewhat wanting. As hoped we are getting more on the troubled, dangerous Diana, but we need more of her personal tale to care about her and her scary robotic hand.

We also need show to help us get more invested in Wang Joon. A really great ending would actually be that Da Da goes on happily without attachment to any guy or robot. This,...

This drama however is unlikely to be one that will go the road less travelled of ending without any true romance.

Watching:
One Spring Night:
- Not really looking forward to how the story progresses... Both leads seem to be on the fence.
- Watching mainly because of Jung Hae In... although for me, his best character to date was Han Woo Tak (the best Male Second Lead ever!). Why can't he pick a project where he smiles more???

Abyss:
- I only understand the gist, probably need to rewatch but don't feel the need to unless something happens in the next episodes that I need to go back and recheck the details. 🙄
- Still watching to get for more info about the "abyss"
- Loved the cameo of "The Smile has Left Your Eyes" leads

Completed:
Well-intended Love
- Cliche but better than expected

Kingdom
- OK but was so frustrating that they showed so many instances of how others were infected.

The Moon Embracing the Sun
- Actors playing the younger versions were mostly better that the older versions.

Bom Bam: I love this even more than I did last week - everyone is doing a great job, I'm finding all the angst very compelling since Han Ji-min's boyfriend reads as a pretty decent guy, and the soundtrack is aces.

Absolute Boyfriend: Didn't catch it all this week, but it's still very enjoyable. Number One, come back~!

Her Private Life: So disappointed. I've said tdhis once already, but they should have called this His Private Life.

One and Only Love: Going into the second week, this is far better and I'm finally on board. Lee Moon-sae's beautiful OST made that dance scene at the end of episode three so poignant.

Hehe you’re using Spring Night’s Korean name. It sounds so cute.

It's so snappy and sweet! 😂

After really liking both Put Your Head on My Shoulder and Le Coup de Foudre, I decided to give a couple of other Chinese coming of age dramas a try and so far am enjoying Hello Debate Opponent and Just an Encore. I like that all four of these dramas lack the OTT nasty characters/parents that are so common in Korean coming of age dramas (looking at you Sassy Go Go).

Just a Bite Season 2 wrapped up nicely with everyone getting a happy ending.

I'm a week behind with watching Abyss and Mother of Mine (which I'm just watching for Kim So Yeon/Hong Jong Hyun and am hoping that the show doesn't go the normal/expected route with them breaking up for the next 30 episodes).

What a week, outside of dramas.
Watching:
K dramas: Nokdu Flower , really enjoying it.
Love Me Actually , dating show, guilt free fun

C dramas: The Legends & Listening Snow Tower, like Legends more of the two.

J dramas : Mukai no Bazuru Kazoku (My Family Went Viral) : Really enjoyed 1st Ep, I like her Namahage alter ego.

Annatsuraru (Unnatural): I enjoyed it, looks like they left it open for a followup season. I enjoyed the CSI cases, no resident “genius” or anyone with super powers, staff members have their own “skeletons in the closet”, traumas and flaws.

I'm so glad someone watched Unnatural! It's one of my favourites! ❤️❤️❤️

I loved The Legends with its sweet hero and badass heroine.

Absolute Boyfriend I love this actor but I keep comparing him to Shin3 and thinking he has way too many micro expressions, Shin3 had a lot more experience with humans and the real world and still felt much more like a robot, he was perfect. Maybe Jin Goo didn't think about that or the fact that he has to be charming made the director have him act like a real person.

Also, I am still on ep 3 but I remember I watched the original and I don't want her to get too involved with the robot because, it's a robot!

I want second lead to get redemption and for her to get more self confident, ZeroNine is fine remaining a lovely machine.

Secret life of secretary: cute. The prolonged catfishing is getting slightly annoying, and I'm unhappy that last episode had little scenes with galhee and minik (rather than "veronica" and minik). However, next episode shows signs of lots of galhee and minik. Hopefully minik gets his brain cells back and is able to quickly piece together that the one he loves is galhee. Still a cute watch but not too developed

Angel's last mission: Shin hye sun is such a talent, and L has really improved his acting since his old days. Their dynamic is adorable, though the evil aunt thing is annoying.

The Fiery Priest: binged the entire thing and it was well worth the 20 hours. I have discovered a love for Kim nam gil, Lee hanui, basically everyone in the cast. It's so funny. It's well casted, well acted, well written, well directed. I also never knew Kim nam gil was so hot. Pictures really don't justify his good looks.

'Lookout' is incongruously renamed 'The Guardian' on Viki if you go looking for it. (Is every show going to be renamed 'Guardian eventually'?) Kim Young Kwang gave an another-level performance in that series which, I recall, was my first experience with the K-drama half hour serious drama format.

Good Morning Everyone,

Kingdom: Complete. I love it.

My Fellow Citizens: Complete. I love it.

Different Dreams: waiting for today episode.

Princess Silver: Behind. At least, everyone knows that the tea owner is princess who suppose to marry the prince. Now, she is married to the general.

Listening Tower: Caught up with episodes. I swear main OTP should be called Sick and Stubborn Couple. I love the way they make up on episode 33. I have been ff Xio Tai and Ming He part. I do hope Jing Rong know that eldest brother is alive soon.

Le Coup De Foudre: Behind episodes.

Put Your Head on Your Shoulders: Complete. It was really cute. Kind of remind me of my college years regarding the friendship of the girls.

The only thing I am looking for in June is Novoland Eagle Flag. So far, the OST of beginning theme song and ending theme song is really good. Cinematography seem to be top notch. I hope plot and story was good too because it seem they spend a lot of money of this Chinese drama. LOL
Have great weekend.

I love Le Coup De Foudre and Put Your Head on Your Shoulders was so cute!

I watched about 10 episodes of Princess Silver but found myself laughing at the supposed romantic-martial arts scenes. But I did like the general hehe... she marries him? Oh-oh, this might be another of those Cdramas where the heroine can’t choose and ends up alone or dies... or they all die. How far did you watch?

Up to episode 15. The wedding is on episode 15. Prince Li find out and took her away on episode 16. I watched they episode raw. Lol I am waiting for fully sub.

Absolute Boyfriend: cute and lighthearted :)
Angel's Last Mission: I really love L (never watched anything with him in it, so I am really surprised how good he is). Last episode had a really cool twist!
Hajimete Koi wo Shita Hi ni Yomu Hanashi (A Story To Read On The Day You've Fell In Love): j-drama. I have not watched j-dramas in ages and this one is so cute and lovely. Fearless pink *_* (although I am seriously concerned about the japanese obsession of falling for your teacher. lol)
One Spring Night: heavy from the start but I will give it a chance.

forgot to add Le Coup De Foudre! Lovely drama. I read the novel and the adaptation is really good.

@Laica, on Secret Life of My Secretary - yes to everything you said. I feel exactly the same way about this show. Also, I don't think it needs a villain willing to kill.

I guess I watched Princess Silver too much to fill the void that others become less attractive, although that is not the case at all. Anw here it goes...
Her Private Life
I have only watched ep 15, and I find myself fast forwarding many scenes. The scene where Eom So Hye reclaims her daughter is interesting though.
Angel's Last Mission
I was definitely here because of L, but after watching this week's ep, I am not sure if I will continue. The aunty looks petty and sub par for main villain, the art director is unclear and appear to be more scary than the aunty...and the story is very clear and not as interesting as I thought. Too bad though. I like L in this, but the storytelling...not very much.

All, Happy Weekend:-)
Abyss: dropped after episode 4, i think, probably will follow through via the recap posts.
Absolute Boyfriend: i feel like i want to continue watching this but am terribly behind.
Secret Life of My Secretary: i really enjoy the office-romcom trope, and i have only seen Kim Young Kwang in 'Sweet Stranger and Me' (which i have yet to finish), so i was really looking forward to this show, but its not working for me at all but atleast i'm up to date on the episodes atleast on this one!
My Fellow Citizens: starting to watch this weekend
Her Private Life: am really behind on this but overall its fun, just going along with it, i guess!
Legend of the Blue Sea: since i'm still catching up on kdramas (first watched them in October 2018), just finished bingeing on this one, which held my complete attention. This was my first time completing a Lee Min-ho show (i assume at some point i may continue watching BOF and Heirs) and second time for Jeon Ji-hyun (You From Another Star, this was so good!), i thought they both were so good here, and the other actors too did a good job.
Welcome to Waikiki: still on season 1 but i need breaks from watching this every now and then coz my tummy hurts from laughing sometimes...:-)

I'm deep in RomCom-Land. Both of those dramas came to life via great acting and charisma from almost all players.

Her Private Life I already wrote this on my fanwall but I'm just so dissapointed that Deok Mi didn't become an artist in her own right. While I thought their relationship was great and very equal I would have wished for Ryan to not only think about his trauma and problems but to help DM realize her medium. Her becoming an artistic photographer like the novelists love would be an organic growth from her fangirling (she mostly fangirls through fotos anyway). It's a missed chance and infuriating to me.

Secret Life of my Secretary Veronica! Oh how I love thee.... The OTP has amazing chemistry and KYKs pouting and smiling and everything else is very funny and very swoonworthy. Just like Laica said, the deception has been going on too long to make sense for the characters and KYKs character is unlogically dumb to not get all those clues. I serioulsy question that they both think the other hates them? Why? Also - why doesn't he recognise voices, especially the one of his best friend since childhood?

My wife and I are watching "Because This Is My First Life" so I am behind on everything.

Is it a first watch or re watch?

It is the first drama I watched live.....loved it.

I have seen it before- it is a great drama.

Because This Is My First Life is worth throwing everything else to the side. :)

I agree.

Aww, good for you. Such a beautiful and healing drama.

I went from watching zero, ZERO dramas for the past few months and now I'm watching four.

My Fellow Citizens
The Secret Life of My Secretary
Angel's Last Mission: Love
Her Private Life

same thing happend to me, funny how life goes

currently watching save me 2. really like it tbh. it's a really diff vibe but it's something i enjoy especially seeing the motivations and personalities are different this time around. the siblings are ot. i had no idea who uhm tae gu was but lord...he's hot

finished labor inspector jo. i love that show full stop. the friends, the family, the love. it was absurd but it really was a superhero and like love curse the world story. the message we need most is that we all live on this planet, so why not be the best we can be and try to help others? why do we have to struggle to get money for the top, when the top can't even part with their funds to help us.. long live the worker etceteraaaa the characters were wonderful and the women were amazing. i just love that show. it's fun and cheerful and loving, i'll never forget it.

started avengers social club and i love it. found family shenans again. right up my alley.

i will start nokdu flower..

in terms of non kdrama stuff, i have been watching this thing about the crusades (LOL, just a youtube vid) and i am going to watch ava duvernay's miniseries when they see us on netflix. the original story is one of the worst like incredibly current public events to watch and know asa black perosn. im sure it will be traumatizing but i heard it's wonderful so if anyone knows the story, give it a try. there's also a documentary on this story of the cp5 so if you dk much about it, i would def recommend researching and watching that !

Currently Airing

ANGEL’S LAST MISSION: LOVE: Honesty, this drama just isn’ doing it for me like it seems to for other beanies. There’s no doubt SHS is an amazing actress, but I don’t have any feelings about her character. And Dan is adorable, but he doesn’t bring anything new. I know the big spoiler coming up, so hopefully that will grab my attention. (ep. 2-4)

ONE SPRING NIGHT: The leads are sinking into the Pretty Noona murk of lack of communication, living life through the expectations of others (parents/society) and an immaturity level in decision making. I am starting to get annoyed by Hae In's single father status (personal freedom to lead a single life) vs. being an actual single parent (living with and raising his son).
ANGEL'S LAST MISSION: I thought new director Ji's character was not was it was supposed to seem (I thought an uncovered detective to unwind all the family mystery) but the end of the last episode was an unexpected twist.

Her Private Life -- I think that I'll remember it mostly for Ryan Gold (not Heo Yoon-jae).

The Secret Life of my Secretary -- please, GH, tell the truth to him now!

Angel's Last Mission -- At this point, I'm more interested in discovering who Kang-woo exactly is. Can't wait to see more clues.

Arthdal Chronicles -- I'll take a look to see what the buzz is all about.

Watching The Secret Life of my Secretary and I am loving it.
Everybody wants Gal Hee to tell him the truth now but I don’t know.. My heart aches for him but well, I’m watching a drama! There are still twelve more episodes and I think I prefer watching some more cute fake Veronica-related scenes than seeing everything revealed, heartbroken MI, separation, reunion, and running out of new ideas around ep 12! I just don’t want to see the writer go for MI and GH’s childhood and things like this!:))

Good point. That is more interesting conflict than missing USBs and company politics anyway.

Eight*

I'm pretty sure last weeks eps are the last of her pretending to be Veronica. She made it clear, finally, that she doesn't want to see him, and he seemed to accept it. Not to mention this weeks eps look to be all about him getting closer to the actual Gal Hee, which I'm all for.

I’m living for the moment Min Ik starts believing in his feelings for Gal Hee because he has already fallen for her yet he is not aware of it. But what I meant was that based on most of recent rom-com drama ending episodes, the writers sometimes seems to be unable to keep the story exciting. But you are right, today’s episode might be the ending of pretending. I can’t wait.

Well, the last few years of Kdramas have been a time of experimentation for writers. We've been seeing them do a lot of new things with their stories, especially when it comes to finding ways to maintain the excitement.

Granted, I don't think this drama is going to break too far away from most of the common tropes and stereotypes of Kdramas, but I do have hope that it will find a way to keep the momentum going without relying on a big lie the entire time.

I am in full catchup mode after being out of kdrama touch for a couple of weeks.
I completed both antihero dramas DOCTOR PRISONER and KILL IT. DP was by far the superior production but I would love to see Jang ki-yong and Namgoong Min together in a drama.

Dan, Only Love:
I love this...I think about it...I wanna watch it...help...
Female lead is amazing from the beginning. Male lead has grown on me and now I ship it. Plot is so good <3
I Loved You From the Start:
The writing/plot is nowhere near as good as Dan, Only Love but it's really fun and has great characters. And the 2 leads have a lot of chemistry.
Live Up to Your Name:
Struggled with this drama in the beginning because of the juvenile humor, stupid sound effects, and does anyone ever have a regular bowel movement?? And why are they making the male lead so unlikable? But I'm able to overlook the male lead's strange toddler-like behavior for now and focus on the overall plot.

For me the male lead was adorable♥️

He's so dumb but so smart? I don't get it. I hope he becomes more adorable to me.

To-watch list grows.
Completed:
Her Private Life: Sweet show. Loved couple's rapport. Sad:No more Geon-woo.

My Fellow Citizens: Finale eps were not that funny, and it had half-baked ending(to me), but the show has been very entertaining. Loved most of casts, and OST.

Inspector Jo: Has been fun ride. Too bad-I wanted to see more actions with new team Jo with Do-ha.

others:
so how many dramas finished with the kiss scene this week?

Secret Life of My Secretary: Can't wait until identity issue clears out, but the title-"Secret life of my secretary" bothers me. Couple is too cute.

Abyss: WTH ending? It's getting better-more interesting now that identities are revealed.

Angel's Last Mission: WTH ending? Love their bickering.

One Spring Night: Loved When kid said "Mom?". Relationship feels realistic here (poor guy/guys), and hope she decides soon.

Arthdal Chronicles: I enjoyed the first ep.-it is different. CGI? I'm ok with it. Nice to see many familiar faces.

Now off to watch more.

ARTHDAL: enjoyed the pretty landscape and half naked warriors but it felt like a westernized K-drama. I guess they were going for the global appeal since it's a Netflix original.
I have to watch it again for the story. I kind off ff through it cause I was in a hurry.

I only lasted 5 minutes, partially for the reasons you mentioned, but also because - you don't start a drama with anonymous warriors. Introduce Song Joon Ki first!
And I didn't realize it's actually mythology. Supernatural, fantasy, all things that make myths after a few thousand years. And I thought the CGI was meh.

I fell asleep watching Arthdal.😔 I may look again later.
Off to watch the next episode of Nokdu 😌

Enjoy NOKDU. Love this week’s episodes but then I say that every week lol.
PD Shin worked with the writers of ARTHDAL twice so it makes the Saturday line up interesting.

I have a couple of bias in ARTHDAL but so far I’m not impressed with their acting. Don’t know what do....

Hi @kiara. I am really interested in you take on AC. I am hoping it is watchable and more so.
I am so far behind on NOKDU. Yesterday episodes 24 of the scheduled 48 aired and I have to pick up at episode 13. So I am half way through the first half of the series.
I really could use a preemption like for a sporting event or Presidential election. (Because of the election preemptions a couple of years ago I was able to binge and get current with CHICAGO TYPEWRITER. Lol.)

I'm kind of digging Arthdal. I thought the dance was beautiful! But I also thought the opening credits was weak Game of Thrones with the buildings and there is a definite westernized feel as you say. I don't know about the acting, it seemed okay to me, but I've been watching a lot of cdrama lately and Koreans are much better actors on the whole so nothing's jarring. What I quite like is the pacing. Not terribly fast but far from slow. I feel no need to binge it but I'm looking forward to episode 3 next week.

GRANTING YOU A DREAMLIKE LIFE: Somehow I've gotten sucked into this one. Don't watch it, you'll just pick it apart bit by bit, and I could do that too except there's something about the characters that has drawn me into their lives and their story in spite of the flaws. The intro to the characters takes a few episodes and they start out as caricatures: 2nd lead, too good to be true (he's taller and more handsome than the lead) but later his anger issues surface. 1st lead (Zhu Yi Long) is the Han Solo type, a roguish good guy. Of course they both love the same lady. She does Chinese opera and it almost made me not watch because well, who likes Chinese opera? But the opera is so well done and in small doses and intriguing enough that I would like to find out more about it.
It's a dual story: beginning and end are modern times, the real story is about her grandmother's love in the 1930s. Love those period costumes, the cars, the whole vibe of that era.
This should be a B- but after the first couple episodes I was hooked on the characters, even though it's full of cliches and platitudes. So for me it was an A, maybe because I've watched soap operas for so many years that the flaws don't bother me.
It's interesting that usually in dramas conversation is for exposition. In this case (and maybe most C-dramas?) the conversation is to spout platitudes of the evilness of greed and power, and the goodness of sharing and non-violence. And I'm all for that.
Of course since it's the Republican Era, he dies saving the life of his love. I cried buckets even though I knew it was coming. Then it goes back to modern times and this generation (played by the same actors) has a happy ending. I still cried buckets.
I seem to only be able to watch one drama at a time. This drama does have its slow moments but then I just take a break and do something else (or watch favorite scenes from old dramas).

I am watching this show after seeing Zhu Yi Long in Guardian. Not perfect but l can't stop

Sorry!
Not perfect and the CGI is just not up to par but l like it. I have noticed that people think the ML leads looks are not on the same level as the second lead. Both are good looking but for me there is some about the ML looks that give him the edge.
Right now I am at the part where the second lead is now a police officer and the female lead is giving him the cold shoulder. As viewers we know why he did it but still it seems like if the female had bothered to think about it she could have come to the correct conclusion. So I guess this is the point where the second Male lead becomes bad.

This is where the other side of his nature starts to show. She's only seen the "perfect" side of him. If he would have had the courage to remain a doctor and believe in non-violence he could have totally won her heart.
This drama is far from perfect but there's something undefinable about it that makes me stay.

@kapp70 Just finished re-watching the whole thing. I have a theory about why it's "far from perfect". It seems almost like a play, the editing, the scene changes, the imperfection, but actually, she's telling a story, a story about her grandmother, and isn't this how a verbal story would be told? A little disjointed, sudden scene changes, etc? At least I'd like to think so because it makes the story telling a little more perfect. I noticed in the end when it's modern times the scene changes, editing, etc., seem more realistic. And what a beautiful ending, one of my favorite endings I think.