Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

stroopwafel

Arthdal Chronicles: I’m stuck in a love-hate relationship with Arthdal. I hate the odd-numbered episodes but love the even-numbered episodes. Overall, I can’t shake this lingering sense of disappointment–the show could be much more than it is. The drama isn’t bad exactly, it’s more that the weak episodes make the great stuff feel a bit underwhelming. Whenever my interest starts to wane, the next episode has incredible movement that just draws me back in. Episode 4 was packed with information and plot development, so much so that I’m both excited and worried that the next episode won’t be able to deliver (I have to add, I full on cackled when I saw how Eunseom managed to “meet” Sanung). No promises that I’m in for the long haul, but for all its flaws (cheesy special effects and low-rent costumes), the show has excelled reeling me in with its characters, mythology, and world. Tanya and Eunseom are coming into their own, so maybe the show will too?

mary

Angel’s Last Mission: Love: I’m so fond of this show and digging *almost* everything about it. From Ice Queen Yeon-seo, to Kim Dan’s almost-but-not-quite human reactions, to the “I’m a bitch but I do a mean ballet performance, YOU WILL LOVE ME” challenges, to the plot twist that Auntie is just a scheming hardworker who’s now being tortured by her psychopathic daughter. I’m even having fun playing spot-the-Healer cast, thanks to the PD. (Anyone else remember angel grandpa as the Sniggering Secretary with OCD?) I have to say though that this show’s interpretation of God is abhominable. It’s like the writer skimmed through the Old Testament and took inspiration from all the smiting and banishing and angel-wrestling in there and missed the parts about mercy and love..? I’m half-ignoring the mythology, and half-hoping that this is deliberate and there will be a reveal later that Angel Hoo has been misinterpreting orders all along. But it’s a tiiny hope.

Rescue Me 2: I almost wish they didn’t brand this as a second season because except for the religion-as-a-scam theme, they are totally different shows and I love them for different reasons. In Rescue Me 2, I don’t care much about the slow-moving fake church story but I’m enjoying the village shenanigans a lot. I said bad things about Min-cheol last week which made it sound like I hate him when it’s the opposite. I love how terrible he is. I love all the scenes when he’s walking around and the crowd parts or the cops trip over themselves trying to put a safe distance between them (except for Chief). I cackle when the villagers talk a big game when Min-cheol isn’t there then turn into meek lambs when they see his shadow. I just like the characterization of the whole town. It’s very true to life. They’re all going at each other’s throats one minute then sharing chicken soup the next. They’re frustrating and gossipy and terrifying when part of a mob but they’re caring and loving when pulled out of it. There’s this thing they do in front of Min-cheol that makes me laugh every time. When they catch him doing something bad and stand a safe distance away, all “I know you stabbed someone to death, but I’m older and I’ll nag you even if it kills me.” It’s like someone challenged OCN to do a slice-of-life show and this is the result.

Lookout: First, a prayer circle for Kyung-soo who’s caught between two warring noonas. May he someday find a bit of solitude and a lot of appreciation for always saving the day. Next, a cackle (or several) for the delicious twistedness every time Soo-ji throws a wrench in Do-han’s plans. I know, I know, Do-han is bringing down the Big Bad, but I’m gonna enjoy his suffering while it lasts. If you’re gonna use traumatized people as unwitting chess pieces for your revenge, you deserve aaaaaaall the headaches that come when they start not acting according to plan. I can’t wait until Soo-ji catches you. I hope you’re wearing your most expensive suit then. Heehee.

Laica

Angel’s Last Mission: Love: This doesn’t fill the hole in my heart left by My Fellow Citizens (which is why I’m currently listening to “Snowflakes” on repeat), but it’s a bittersweet love story with a dark fairytale feel that I’m really enjoying. Let’s leave aside the muddled mythology, because it’s clearly gotten away from the writer; the heart of this show is Yeon-seo, and she is everything. Shin Hye-sun is luminous, enraged, vulnerable, icy, distraught, majestic and prickly by turns—and sometimes simultaneously—and she is always gorgeous. Every role she does shows us that her range as an actor is even greater than we’d realized. L still flails a bit too much, but he’s adorable in this role of a naive angel who is powerless to resist falling for Yeon-seo (who could?). This week was painful because we saw their brief halcyon days together come to a wrenching end, but I think it’s fitting that they had to each find their feet alone before coming back together. The scene where the older angel is vanished into dust was shocking, but the old lady’s final moments were very sweet, showing Dan that loving someone is never a waste—and also giving him his first experience of human grief. Dan is very far from the good but rather flippant being we met in episode 1. I’m looking forward to how Dan and Yeon-seo will deal with the truth about Dan’s past, now that he’s discovered it. And I’m dying to see Yeon-seo’s reaction when she finds out he’s an angel. I find it interesting how this show can be very idealistic and tender-hearted while also containing a lot of darkness. So far it’s managed to balance the tones well, but I have a feeling Kang-woo’s about to go off the rails, and I hope the show doesn’t lose its way when that happens. (I do want to see him get throughly trounced by Dan though, so let’s hope that happens.) This isn’t a perfect drama, but it’s rare in that it consistently surprises me—I have no idea where this is leading, and the jaded critic in me loves that.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: Thank the Lord, HE KNOWS. I found episodes 21 and 22 unnecessary and frustrating (and complete filler), but I’m glad Min-ik finally knows the truth about “Veronica,” even if the show had to make him find out in a truly awful way. Also, WHY WOULD HE EAT THE PEANUTS?! Heartbreak is painful enough without anaphylaxis. (This is even more perplexing than the fish CPR—at least that was funny.) I’m glad he laid out to Gal-hee in brutal detail exactly why what she did was so hurtful to him, although seeing him crying like a child nearly did me in. I do think the device of Gal-hee’s dead mother being a sort of counseling angel for her is one of the smarter things the show has done, because those conversations have been our main window into Gal-hee’s feelings of guilt and inner conflict, thus allowing us to maintain some empathy for her despite how terribly she’s behaved. After the truth comes out, once again she’s able to make her (weak) excuses to the audience via her mother, that she was so drunk on the idea that Min-ik might have real feelings for her that she didn’t realize how being deceived would make him feel. (Okay, girl. I still feel like your idea of “this has gone too far” comes at a point so beyond normal boundaries that it might as well be at the South Pole.) And it’s a relief that Veronica finally came to her senses, but I resent her for prolonging the agony. Both of these women need a sensible friend or two. So I’m glad Gal-hee is miserable, she entirely deserved to get fired, and I’d appreciate if these two made up next week to take down the evil secretaries so that I can get a full finale week of googly eyes, hugs, and confessions of love.

missvictrix

Currently reviewing: The Secret Life of My Secretary

One Spring Night: I am enjoying this show so much it’s to the point where I’m counting down the hours on Wednesday and Thursday till the next episode is posted, and then the hours till I can clear off my to do list and watch it. But I almost love it so much I don’t want to watch it — first, because I don’t want it to end, and second, because I’m a tiny bit worried it’s not going to live up to my expectations. I admit, I was beginning to feel like the plot was getting stuck a little, but this week in episodes 7-8 (or 13-16) things started to move, and I realized again that the show knows what it’s doing in terms of pacing, so I should just sit back and enjoy. Interestingly, it’s becoming so much about external versus internal pressures, much like Pretty Noona. I’m curious where it will go from here. But really, how can little Eun-woo, with that haircut and dinosaur obsession, not melt every heart?

Tags: , , , , , ,

Abyss: A-/B+: After so many Beanies complained about how stupid the good guys were, this week it was a baddie who made the epic-level mistake. RTFM dammit, RTFM!

Joseon Survival: B+/B+: I grew up with archery, and so far that part hasn't been offensively bad, unlike Empress Ki which handled archery about as badly as any kdrama ever has handled anything. Too bad the modern-day baddie seems so much like the worst of every other baddie ever.

Investigative Couple / Partners for Justice: B+/B: Investigations are good; office power struggles are typical kdrama-lame; new replacement for Stephanie Lee is not an improvement. It's relatively fast-paced and keeps my interest better than most shows.

Angel's Last Mission: What was that about a fast-paced show and keeping my interest?

Secret Life of My Secretary: C/B: I'm in a relationship - of the love-hate kind. Love the FL's performance and the threesome of secretary / Veronica / secretary-pretending-to-be-Veronica. Hate the contrived deception and the awkward situations not-Veronica has to talk her way out of. I'm behind, so this is only for day 8.

Arthdal: B/C: Somebody has to watch besides our resident sh*tposter :) Evil "advanced" big king taking lots of slaves until hero overthrows him has been done before, mostly in low-budget fantasy movies. This looks like those except padded to be 8x too long. And I don't think they could make ropes & wood framework strong enough for those elevators.

Voice 3: B+/C-: Good case-of-the-week with real sense of urgency; lame big conspiracy; exceptionally poor contrived medical/psychological issues for the leads. This would have made a better American style show with nothing but case-of-the-week all season.

Scoring: how much I liked what I saw this week / how "good" I think it really was.

So there are two people watching Arthdal Chronicles - your Lordship and Queen @sicarius

I'm watching.

Me, too. :D

me too and i quite like it!

Lol, they are definitely not the only ones. The continuation of Helper the Horse's journey is becoming what I most look forward to every week!

Hey there's a few more of us than that~~!! hahahaha

I'm watching too! I'm about to drop it after I've seen episode 5 but thank goodness I watched episode 6. Love the twist at the end of epi 6!

I think I'm in a minority of a minority, being someone who watches Investigation Couple 2 AND thinks Kang Seung-hyeon's character is an improvement on Stephanie Lee's. I actually liked Lee's character in season 1 but mainly because Stella was everything that the female lead wasn't: calm, straightforward and highly competent. But IMO she was a fantasy figure, an exotic "foreigner", and one who seemed strangely detached and even colourless under the stereotypical quirks. Sally, the replacement, is also a very lazily conceived character, but at least she has a temperament, flaws, and more connections with the other characters. And, unlike the female lead in season 1, she is good at her job. So all in all I find her quite tolerable.

I was just so happy that FL is better in second season the first season. I like Stella too in first season.

Yo, @lordcobol, I'm watching ARTHDAL, too. Thank you for mentioning the unbelievable elevators. For the amount of lumber needed to build the darned things, Arthdal should now be totally deforested. What I'd like to know is how they got all the timbers down to the bottom of the cliff in one piece. Or did they take a hint from the geniuses on the flying island of Laputa and build the towers from the top down? ;-)

What boggles my mind even more is the skimpy number of half-dead slaves manning that single capstan that smoothly and quickly whisks the elevator and its payload of human and animal cargo to the top of the cliff. Otis Elevator must be turning green with envy. Meanwhile, my suspension of disbelief got dislocated. ;-)

Hi @pakalanapikake,
I am also watching (and current!) ARTHDAL CHRONICLES. I know what you are saying about the elevator contraption. I can see how SJK can grow on one. lol.
I am also current with JOSEON SURVIVAL. Ok only 2 episodes so far. Have you taken a peak? Please do.
I think this might be a nice sleeper.
@lordcobol pointed out at his (I hope) fanwall the significance of a certain high tech object (I am really trying not to spoil) going back 450 years or so with our crew.
Early days in both dramas.
Also re JS and o/t. My first Kang Ji-hwan drama was the unfortunate CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD which became my first dropped kdrama. Certainly not because of his performance but because the poor subtitling made it unwatchable.
While we are at it, I am slowly getting caught up with NOKDU FLOWER (through episode 21). Those who wanted to see "bad ass" Yoon Shi-yoon have an opportunity in this drama. What a crack shot, though.

The elevator made me think of a line from a comic I saw maybe 40 years ago, where someone sees someone else trying to make a brick wall...
"It's your first brick wall, isn't it?"
"How did you know?"
"The pros start from the bottom"

This sounds like a George Booth cartoon in the New Yorker. ;-)

Wizard of Id

@lordcobol June 15, 2019 at 7:24 PM

Ah, how could I have missed the humor of Johnny Hart & Brant Parker?! Hart's "BC" was an even bigger fave. I had a t-shirt of the BC Brontosaurus saying "Gronk" when I was in college. ;-)

I think Abyss has been very fun BECAUSE everyone is stupid. Like this week, 2 moms accidentally help Min track down Ji Wook and Young Chul. One just being crazy, the other being a controlling chaebol mom.

I'm back to my parents house so I don't have time to watch many dramas, especially the ones on air. I will start watching movies that came out a while ago.

Dropped The Wind Blows at ep 5 after the divorce. I'll watch Kim Sung Cheol's cut in YouTube.

Forgotten: The calendar caught my attention at the beginning and suspected something about time perception. I didn't think as far as the plot twist did but liked it. Even if the coincidences are a bit far stretched. Just a quick note, Ong Seong Woo looks a bit like Kim Moo Yul in certain angles.

Joseon Survival: I'm most excited to see Park Se Wan again. The show is clearly low budget (that time travel scene in the air LOL) and the writing doesn't look that good. However, the athlete's sister and her encounter with the future "Robin Hood" seem interesting and the characters could be fun.

Perfume: Seo Yi Do's pettiness is fun to watch at the amusement park. Ye Rin/Jae Hee us doing a lot for her daughter/friend Jin Kyung but based on the photo she found, there could be a misunderstanding. JK might think YR/JH is her father's mistress. Speaking of an other affair, I don't know how I feel about Ji Na and Min Seok previous relationship or MS's courting her when she's married.

Nokdu Flower: ep 29-30. The ogre has made a comeback (noooo) and the Japanese invasion has begun.

Save Me 2: More and more people start to discover Elder Choi's true identity. It's about time. As I'm watching this drama, I can't really feel empathy for any character. There are scam artists, the real bad guys but the villagers aren't innocent either. Everyone is responsible for letting Elder Choi's influence spread.

The Secret Life Of Secretary: The secret is finally out! I want GH to suffer because forgiving her easily won't do any good to MI's character.

Why do dropped The Wind Blows? What make it so unbearable? I'm thinking to pick it up, but if it's so bad...

I'm not in the mood for melodrama so keep in mind I got easily irritated.

The husband hides the fact he has Alzheimer and behaves like a douche bag with his wife. The wife wants a baby but the husband is against it then she asked for a divorce. The husband doesn't want it and she comes up with one of the most absurd plan I've seen to divorce him. Suspension of belief is too much to ask for this drama. Something happens after their divorce and I can already see headaches and rage infuriating misunderstandings.

Thanks. I really want to watch dramas with older character (late 30s-50s). I'll wait a better option to come.

There are upcoming dramas like Chief of Staff and Aide but they are on the serious side.

Dear My Friends has a great older cast with the youngests being in their 30s. Woman of Dignity is female centric and has women in their 30s. Heard It Through The Grapevine has a teen couple as the leads but the adults play a huge part (great if you like dark humour).

Thanks @mango

Chief of Staff is Aide.

I loved Dear My Friends is a great drama with an excellent cast.

Five Children. Interesting couples, best main female character in a Kdrama EVER! (that happens to be middle-aged). Trust me on this.

Andwaeeee~ i never thought about JinKyung misunderstanding that Ye Rin is her father's mistress. Please don't go that route. Huhu. I'm iffy about Ji Na and Min Seok too, even more when she said she got with him previously just to annoy Yi Do. By the way, iirc Ji Na is divorced but she kept it a secret but Min Seok knows.

Oh I missed the divorce part! Still, MS pursues her while he thinks she's married and she doesn't want have anything to do with him.

Some correction JN left her husband, not sure if she's divorced. But I'm still iffy about MS-JN, she doesn't want anything to do with him. I have a feeling MS is Yi Do's relative. Because Yi Do hates relatives, and he doesn't like MS most 😂.

@mango,
I gave a JOSEON SURVIVAL plug above. I liked the time travel scene. It was so retro like something out of the 60's TV show Lost in Space.
I am embarrassed to admit that I did not recognize Park Se-wan from her role as Pi in INAR! She looks like she will have fun as sister Seul-ki in JS.

I liked this scene too. It just made me laugh because I didn't expect them to do that 😂

I didn't recognize her right away either even after seeing her again in Marry Me Now and Just Dance. Her character looks really fun to watch.

If only an Angel could come to Earth on a last mission to write me a truly great drama. That would be something. A new Sky Castle or My Strange Hero or, hell, even a new My Fellow Citizens (I miss show).

Where’s a tortured fallen Muse angel when you need one?

So, yes I am still watching the trashy YA novel that is Angel’s Last Mission and still marvelling at Shin Hye-sun sitting in the middle of this mess acting the shit out of everything dancing circles around everybody (mic drop).

I somehow and for some reason watched every episode of Shadowhunters and so I guess I’m in this for the long haul too. It is just so silly. And she’s just so extraordinary. Her performance in episode 8 in particular blew me away.

Meanwhile, Absolute Boyfriend impresses me more every week, although my negative expectations for this show are no doubt a factor in my perception of the show. I really love Jingoo’s performance here and the writers have managed to keep original plot points but make them work in the way other adaptations haven’t. They also have a serious theme here - love should be mutual, honest and between equals - that they’re managing to explore intelligently and with subtlety and that I find so refreshing in a kdrama. i’m disappointed the writing isn’t getting more appreciation. But there’s still so many episodes left for them to screw it up too.

For the last few weeks, I’ve been ridiculously invested in HIStory3: Trapped despite the really bad plotting. The writers do not know how to write an action genre and it shows. It says something about the series that I stayed shipping the main couple even as it became clear that in the real world, this relationship would be a hard nope. There was a lot of chemistry here - so much so the writers copped an unfortunate amount of flak over skipping a scene where that chemistry... culminated (and then quickly threw their audience a bone - literally as it turns out).

So, yeah, while the rational part of my brain knows this story wasn’t great it turns out my endocrine system disagrees. But that’s HIStory for you.

Also, for those who were worried, I can confirm that Tang Yi's sister in Trapped re-emerged finally after her stint in the warehouse. I'm sure we're all grateful they finally remembered she was tied up there - it was almost four full episodes.

I agree so much for Absolute Boyfriend !

I watched HIStory 1 and 2 last week, and although they both had their issues (low production values, poor writing, unbelievable plots), I enjoyed them overall, particularly the second series. However, HIStory 3 is SO BAD that - despite my deep and abiding love for m/m romance - I just can't watch it. I will keep trying, just to give it support, in hopes of encouraging more LGBT dramas, but it is really, really bad, and so much worse than any of the other stories as far as acting, writing, and just everything. Too bad.

The acting is... okay... for the first half. But the back half acting is really bad. Chris Wu (who plays Tang Yi), in particular, is really not capable of handling the material later on. Some of the dramatic scenes later are really embarrassing and not just because they're poorly written.

At least Chris Wu is cute. His love interest is so dorky looking! I actually like the 2 second leads who are - I think - being set up as a couple. The actor playing Jack (Andy Bian) is adorable, with a great smile, and I also like the actor playing the food-loving, dearly-departed-grandma loving, young cop who Jack appears to be attracted to. But oh, the plot is SO BAD.

It's hilarious how even this BL dramas still have to have all the silly tropes, like the "save" that has them in each other's arms, and the "fall that accidentally makes lips meet," that are so silly and tiresome in the regular romcoms.

Heheh

BTW did you read the blog post I wrote on it around episode 12?

Also I think Jake Hsu is frigging adorable but then I've always been Team Hot Nerd.

After not live-watching anything for about 4 months, I'm now watching 3 currently-airing shows. It's kinda fun to be back.

I'm absolutely loving One Spring Night Every single female character is interesting and nuanced. I love the main lead, her sisters, her mother (especially after power move against the sister's abusive husband), her colleagues and his colleagues. They all feel like they could be my friends. I'm so impressed. Also, the writer trusts that the audience are paying attention. For example, when our pharmacist's friend finds out that his female chingu and the newsreader are sisters, he buries his face in his hands. A lesser writer would have him repeat what he'd said to explain his mortification. This writer trusts that we'll have remembered. If I might have one minor quibble, then it's that our pharmacist is a bit too perfect. I was almost relieved when he said he didn't like books! Phew - a flaw at last!

I am still enjoying Angel's Last Mission and My Absolute Boyfriend. Both these shows ask me to suspend disbelieve and with both of them I'm now doubting that the shows are actually making the point that I thought they were making. Never mind, this happens to me a lot and I'm just going to enjoy them while my delusion lasts. I'm also marginally intrigued by the fact that both of these are written by male screenwriters (according to MyDramaList at least).

I always intended to pick up One Spring Night but was waiting to see how people felt about the back half. is it safe to pick it up now?

(Although I can't take responsibility if you hate it.)

We're up to ep 8. There's been a lot of angst. It's also amazing.

I would have to point out that I never watched Pretty Noona, so I'm watching it without having any scars from the previous experience.

Cloggster, we're watching all the same shows for a change!

I just need to find Joseon Survival somewhere...

And I'm willing to take the blame if you hate it - even if @frabbycrabsis won't. I think I've been there before.

Screenshotting this for future use.

I say this out of love, but I never expect my dramas to meet @leetennant's standards! It's just always a nice surprise when they do! 😂

@cloggie June 15, 2019 at 4:27 AM,

I just watched ep. 3 of JOSEON SURVIVAL raw on TV Chosun's live stream from the US, starting at 2250, Seoul time. You don't have to be a subscriber. (I also watched GRAND PRINCE this way.)

The resolution fluctuated a bit, but was watchable most of the time. Your mileage may vary. ;-)

Thank you!

It comes in totally blurry through my Roku, so I had to postpone Joseon Survival. Hope someone else picks it up.

@pakalanapikake,
This is what I get for not reading through all the comments! Apologies for the comment above because obviously you are taking a peak at JOSEON SURVIVAL, raw a la GP of happy memory!
@cloggie,
OnDemandKorea has the english subbed version of JOSEON SURVIVAL. I believe it is available on the free version and on their Roku app.
I recently paid a year's subscription to ODK. I just checked and ODK has 4 current dramas available subbed in english and one recently completed drama (CONFESSION).
My hope is that ODK will offer more english subbed kdramas particularly from the non-Kocowa cable stations.

Thanks @marcusnyc20. Obviously doesn't work in my region, but that's what VPN is for :-)

So I decided to watch the first to episodes of Joseon Survival because it looked like a bit of fun and I could use some fun right now.

And, wow, these characters are annoying. I was going to say the female characters were annoying but in fact the male ones are too. While I quite like the premise and the show so far, I don't care about any of the characters.

Like how much angst? On a scale of 1-10, 10 being crying every episode. I want to watch it but I don't want to sad. It's the summer and I only like fluff in the summer. Sad is for winter. lol.

hm, on a scale from 1 - 10, I would say a 5. It's more angst for the characters than for the viewers.

It's getting better. I was super frustrated with episodes 1-6, but 7-8 have made up for it.

So far I really love it... but, it still can go south... next week the confrontations will probably start and then we will see if it goes Pretty Noona or if it keeps its awesomeness... I have a hope, because so far majority of the characters are good... and the sisters have a great bond... and the mother supports them.

Ha I have been debating also. I guess I'll.take the plunge.

Go ahead! Its a real jem!

ah. I just started it 20 minutes ago. how is it Jung Hae-in looks younger in every successive drama?

okay, here I say it, it's the best show ( One spring night) airing right now and after Red sun Blue moon and its awesome like awesome, all the female characters are super well written and male characters as well, other than one character who is clearly horrible but found almost in every other house, the male characters are also a delight to watch.
It is slow burn and that's what I love.
And its nothing like pretty noona other than what @missvictrix says about the conflict, but at the end of ep 7 if you were not screaming that our female lead has what it takes to fight without noble idioticity, we are watching different shows. And watch out for conversations, making you swoon!

I was almost relieved when he said he didn't like books! Phew - a flaw at last!

😆 That speaks volumes (heh) to how well written his character is that you, @cloggie, still like him despite this very particular flaw!!

@kimbapnoona, I firmly believe that he only said that because he hasn't read the right one yet!

Absolutely! He obviously has not yet picked up one of the Lotte Meerman novels!!!!

started watching angel's last mission and i'm in absolute love with Shin Hye-sun and L, AHHH it's so good! <3

Bom Bam: Ugh, this drama! I just love everything about it. I always leave the episode screaming with anticipation for the next one. I rewatched Eun-woo hug Jeong-in so many times.

Absolute Boyfriend: Every time I think I'll be put off by impending angst, I find myself drawn further in. This drama is lovely and addictive. Well, I didn't like what happened with Bo-won Hyung and Woong Noona this week, but I can glaze over that.

One and Only Love: Less enthralled this week - the best part of Dan and Yeon-seo's relationship has ended, so I'm praying the playful banmal and drunk dancing will come back. Still, the ballet conflict is keeping me planted here.

Joseon Survival: This is... everything I like about time travel dramas. You know, except the serial killer. He can stay missing for a while.

Thirty But Seventeen: Rewatch! I've realised why this drama is exceptional to me - for others, it's just a nice romcom, but for me it's a chance to immerse myself in a perfect world. In this world, the boy you had a crush on as a teenager is living in the house you grew up in. In this world, everyone has a chance to heal, and there are no villains. This drama means so much to me.

Oh yeah, I didn't like the Bo-won & Noona moment either. Seriously, if someone was going to wash his face in a fountain after accidentally kissing me, I don't think I'd be smiling.

Bo-won Hyung is in a completely different drama. It's the one thing that's not working.

I love him and his brotherly nature, but ughhhhhh that scene really turned me off.

@frabbycrabsis,
Actually, I wasn't put off by Bo-won's reaction, which was exactly like Lucy's response to an accidental smooch by Snoopy: "ARGH! Dog lips!"

I think this is simply an indication that the marketing team at Kronos Heaven has completely missed the boat. They could make a killing if they offered a Bromance Bot option for wealthy nerds and jocks -- with an AlphaGo Of Your Own option. Brainy geeks like Bo-won need love, too. I suspect that Young-gu is his walking, talking alter ego, which is why he was so appalled at the thought that his android hyung was going to end up in the clutches of sadistically destructive whackjob Diana.

Investigation Couple 2: I still really enjoy this drama. The cases are interesting. The first case was far more interesting than this second case, but I still love it.

The Secret Life of My Secretary: Finally, he knows. My goodness though Kim Young Kwang was excellent here. I am going to be honest; I hope he doesn’t forgive her quickly. What Gal Hee did to Min Ilk was honestly truly awful. She took advantage of his disability and violated him and his trust. She took a piece of him and ruined his friendship with Dae Joo(I just can’t like him). So I hope he stays angry and sad because it would be justified. As for Veronica, she tried to help and she is my favorite character. On a lighter not, Veronica and Gal Hee squealing over their crushes was a really sweet moment and I hope they get to be friends.

Angel’s Last Mission-Love: SIGH. These last two episodes have been silly. The entire concept and execution that apparently the kryptonite of God’s angels is human women. Why? The writer has essentially anthropomorphized Angels. S/he has made it so that Angels are like humans and thus they make God look petty or jealous. It has kind of taken me out of the drama and I am not even a Christian. Very odd writing. That being said Shin Hye Sun has once again wowed me, her emotional range is astounding. When she was dancing the sadness of Giselle, I felt that. She is amazing. L on the other hand needs work, He is not very good at the more serious aspects of this drama. I didn’t feel his pain at all, I honestly rolled my eyes, mostly because noble idiocy has been done to death. I understand the point was for him to discover that he used to be human, but whyyy? These past two episodes have just not been it, if not for Shin Hye Sun I would probably not be watching. Also, Ru-Na is a straight up psychopath, but not in an interesting way either. Meh

On a lighter note I hope Shin Hye Sun’s next drama is with someone who matches her skill, maybe Seo In Guk

One Spring Night: This drama is growing on me; I am enjoying it more now. Up until the last couple of episodes I have been both annoyed and exhausted by the back and forth, however we seem to be moving forward and I like it. Also, I really wanted Jung In to apologize to Ji Ho for wanting him and his son to sneak out the back like dirty little secrets. I know they forgave each other, but words would have been nice. Also it seems like Hi Seok’s dad encouraged him to marry her even though she specifically told him she didn’t want to, what is wrong with these people. I also just adore Jae In, what a ride or die sister. Finally, Young Jae realizing why Jae In asked him about Seo In was HILARIOUS. He was so upset. Anyways, onwards and upwards.

Rescue Me 2: This show is so freaking good. I wish more people were watching it. It gives great examples of how people become cultish and the power of mob mentality. It shows how people can be conned and destroyed. It shows how desperate people become bad people...

Yes to all you said about the Spring Night. Though I loved it from the beginning 😊
I also loved how the sisters got together by Emergency... and what a twist! 😱

Sometimes working with a better actor elevates a performance. But in L's case, working against Shin Hye Sun has only highlighted his shortcomings. The mismatch is stark.

Really? On the contrary, I felt that L has come a long way . I loved his micro expression of pain and shock and thought that he really managed a good job of balancing the comedic and the serious acting parts. Especially each time Yeon Soo needed a saving he appears out of nowhere and speaks in such a nonchalant but endearing way, it's very subtle but too sweet. At least I personally love the way he has been doing that. Like that scene from some episodes back when he tells Yeon Seo to dance only for her.

* to dance only for him.

L has come a long way, but he still isn't that good of an actor. He is at best a passable actor. In the comedic moments he is far and away more believable than in the dramatic moments. Even then he is a bit over the top. All this to say I hope he continues to grow and improve because he certainly has since shut up flower band. Maybe in the future he will be more than passable.

Real Life too busy... current only on Secretary and Spring Night. That dinosaurs on Jung In's phone made me teary... as all the conversations between Single Dad and his Son... that little cutie is taking my heart 💕

Despite the lack of comments, I’m still watching Search Query: WWW! I’m just too busy to watch all of it at 1x speed given limited time in real life (yes, shade intended for the other shows). But I did see Jang Ki Yong’s smooth request at the end of episode 3!

The Secret Life of My Secretary
This was the week where I finally warmed up to Dae Joo as I can see how he valued Veronica’s opinion when it came to love, more importantly, it was finally revealed that he is as equally clueless in the company politics as Min Ik was. I find the secretaries’ alliance really pointless to watch especially when it is obvious now that it is just a plot device to induce tension: it might have worked if they compared them to the directors and commented on the class divide (they did hire four actors for that). The same issue also applies to Gal Hee’s blind brother: the face blindness vs being actually blind.

My Absolute Boyfriend
We’re already halfway through the drama and I’m still struggling to see the relevance of certain characters in the plot. Yoo Jin (the male guy in the makeup team) has done nothing despite all his scenes (the poor actor) while Ran (Diana’s secretary) is just waiting for her backstory to drop before she has more lines to speak (the writer finally started to drop some crumbs before I wrote her off as a crazy chaebol, though to be frank it’s going to be very hard to convince me to even pity her given what’s she done). But all is well if Yeo Jin Goo is the gift that keeps on giving: that kiss yay!

Abyss
There’s a little bit of difficulty on my part understanding how information flows within this drama. First, how did Hee Jin find out about Abyss returning to its original owner even before the marble showed that? Second, how did Park Ki Man find out about the Ji Wook’s secret identity as Tae Jin with just a photograph of the real son? Questions aside, there is yet more incompetence highlighted this episode with Ji Wook being able to saunter into the ICU and kill his father (who is a known murderer btw): I doubt his foster father’s corruption had to do with it given their not so amicable exchange.

I remember that Hee Jin called Min and asked him. Min was waiting for SY to come out of the bathroom, but we didn't hear the complete conversation.

Yes Hee jin called Cha Min asking about the Abyss. Also Ki man investigated a lot about OYC

I just take it as Min tells everyone everything he knows. That’s basically how it’s been.

@radily
Apologies...but there is nothing smooth about dating on the premise of a dept owed.

Mo-Gun (Jang Ki Yong) was just stalker territory in ep03. How many times must a woman say NO?

Don't get me wrong, in ep1 &2 not only was he an interesting character parallel of elements of the virtual world in WWW (emotion vs analytics), he was interesting as her equal and I totally believe the mutual attraction. They were interesting because of their actions not just words or begging. Now the story has reduced him to a sad reflection of who he was.

I agree. I quite liked him in first 2 eps but ep 3 was stereotypical. Still he is waayyy better than many kdrama heroes so I'll give him that. He did improve in ep 4.

Morgan is smooth and I am loving him. I really appreciate how straightforward he is without taking it too far. When she seriously told him no, he backed off. She could have told him no again when he said to answers his calls and texts but she didn't.

I completely understand her reluctance in dating him. I mean 10 years is nothing to sneeze at. With them being in the same industry, they will always have to hear people gossiping about them.

I didn't realise that a woman's "NO" has to be a "serious No". Not just a regular "no".

Good to know.

Sigh. You know that is not what I meant and that is why I intentionally did NOT respond to you. But ok...

That is the thing with comments, at times we all get trapped by wanting to be short. However, there was no way I could have known that is not what you meant.

In my defence, your post actually structures it as her issue as she did not repeat NO rather than not respond after her first of many NOs.
...."She could have told him no again when he said to answers his calls and texts but she didn't"...

I've just discovered a weird C-drama called Bureau of Transformer. Unfortunately it hasn't been subbed, but the first episode, though rather OTT in the usual C-drama way, had me in stitches. Like so many shows these days, it has mutants with superpowers -- except that all the superpowers are the result of the DNA of other animals, while the hero's power is simply that he is a trained vet. From this premise alone, one suspects that the show's creators have their tongues firmly in their cheeks. They also seem to glory in crappy CGI and other cheap and cheerful effects (like claymation and furry animal costumes), not to mention shameless piss-taking of other shows and genres. I hope the other episodes live up to my expectations.

CRICKET - Rain more rain. No matches. 1 sided matches. I was all excited and full of energy for this world cup but ECB, ICC and rain smacked my feelings out of the ground. Its hurts.

I was contemplating whether to watch ROUCH and TOUCH or not.
2 weeks and i was able encourage myself but this one is another ball hit right in the middle of the face. Ouch.

This is why i highly dislike Manga to Live-Action adaptations. You can't take ADAChi Mitsuru's media for fun and hahaheehee.
Bad scripts. Bad direction. Nothing to talk about music and acting.
1st of all no one is watching it except me. I sternly advice to everyone don't ever try watching these movies. Waste of time.
Read the Manga - It will 5 to 10 hours to complete both manga. But that experience is vastly more amazing than any airing drama right now from any demography.

Hello Debate Opponent - the only one i enjoyed this terrible summer.
Aide - 5/10 Concept is good. quite good. but terrible execution. This one is a soap opera disguised as a political show. Trash writing right away. dropped after 1st episode.

- 4/10 That trash time show. I'm gonna win gold and propose. heh. Every other kdrama ever. too fake and copy paste. Too predictable 1st episode and hero facing all those known troubles. Cheap Cheap product. Dropped

Growing Pain - All is Well. Waiting for translation.

Trolled - Hero trolled both groups, audience as well as his own group. He was there to destroy the union and he actually saved their alliance. total waste of a show.

I also liked Hello Debate Opponent but couldn’t find subs after episode 14. Guess the subber quit subbing....

Month of MAY was too good and to balance it out Month of JUNE is going terrible. Saw one of the best - Love -
I love Slice of Life media with a sprinkle of love or romance or very subtle love or very slight taste of love makes a Good Love drama. As i said long ago - non-romance romance is best romance.
Kdrama and Chinese drama writers+directions intentionally make out Physical proximity = Love.(In Japanese Shoujo you can see all of it and i throw rotten tomatoes at them)
For them Romantic nonsense and hijinks = epitome of love.
This is why i hardly consider K+CN romance dramas one of the worst tv media out there. 1 in 1000 is above average. That's how much trash they produce. These dramas are made for young bloods to get advantage of their rising hormone levels. Guys media involve - action, violence and ecchi fanservice and same for the girls( stereotypes).

Ahh i just wanted to loudly say it.

@catocat

I love it. One of my partner's best words of wisdom is "You are never too young to be cynical" Thank you for calling it as you see it and shining a light on the underlying messages ( backed up with reasoning).

Ah Mitsuru Adachi. I have never been able to enjoy any of the live action of his work. There’s something about his manga that somehow didnt translate well into live action, or is it only me? So far I only managed to finish H2.

It’s rare to meet another fan of the mangaka in this forum. I wonder what is your fave manga of his? Mine is cross game. I reread that too many times to be counted. I have a huge softspot also for niji iro togarashi, and a love and hate relationship with touch.

- THE SECRET LIFE OF MY SECRETARY (Ep. 11-12): Good episodes. I welcome this kind of angst because it’s integral to the story, not caused by random external conflict.

- JOSEON SURVIVAL (Ep. 1-2): Better than I expected. There is a time-travelling team, a handsome serial killer, and legendary outlaw Im Kkeok-Jeong. Crack drama stuff.

- NOKDU FLOWER (Ep. 1-12): Loving everything about it. I hope to catch up in time for the finale.

- FATHER IS STRANGE (Ep. 15): ooh it’s getting interesting now. Also, I want a pet turtle. I even have a name for it: “Kanmoreu” 🐢

- ARTHDAL CHRONICLES (Ep. 3-4): I liked the horse and his boy, but that’s about it. Dropped. I’m already watching too many dramas 🙈

I LOVED Father is Strange! The eldest sister has to be my most favourite character in all of dramaland! She is beyond bad ass!

@wishfultoki,
I am pleased that the early returns for JOSEON SURVIVAL are so positive. I hope the SK viewing public comes on board.
Also last week I began a major catch up on NOKDU FLOWER. I am with you. Great drama.

Just started with the Angel's Last Mission and yes, I remember angel grandpa as the OCD bastard secretary from Healer - which was the first time I saw him and it was so striking that I cannot take him seriously in any "nice" role ever since - no matter how sympathetic they try to make him, the shivers always go down my spine...

Totally agree, he will always been imprinted on my mind as the creepy ahjusshi

@turka kimchiturka,
Apologies I am not watching ALM but are you referring to HEALER’s infamous Secretary Oh portrayed by actor Jeong Gyu-su? I don’t see him listed in the cast on ALM’s Wiki or AsianWiki page or JGS’s AsianWiki page.
I have been watching him in the current NOKDU FLOWER.

I am sure you and @kafiyah-bello would agree with me that Secretary Oh earned a nomination to the Kdrama Hall of Fame of Villains.

Accurate

Yes, it is him. And yes, definitely the Hall of Fame.

The thing with the The Secret Life of My Secretary is that this premise would have worked so much better with a 12 episode arc. Stretching the secret was frustrating for viewers because as @laica says, not only is it unnecessary and frustrating, but it also results in lots of filler. However, I do appreciate that they didn’t reveal too soon, and then be forced to add in some nonsensical plot such as another illness, surgery abroad, kidnapping, or well, you get the idea. Anyway, I should hate this show, but Kim Young Kwang as Do Han Min-ik keeps drawing me back. I might still be waiting for Key, Kim Seul-gi, and Shin Dong-wook to show up. I can’t help it. (@mary, Do-han is precious and is only using traumatized people to help them.) (Why DID he eat those peanuts? Punishing your “mother” by giving yourself a severe allergic reaction seems counterproductive, but then Min-ik is my very well dressed dim bulb, so I guess this is in character. How is he a successful businessman? Does he do any kind of work at all?)

Why am I still watching Perfume? I don’t know. Maybe I hope that in the end the female lead will NOT be her beautiful twenty-something self, but will instead be a confident version of her real self who quietly pushes her husband off the balcony. This drama is weird, off-putting, often offensive, sometimes triggering, and well, I don’t know. I’m invested in the daughter’s story, and I hope she doesn’t get hurt too badly.

I feel like I’m watching more, why is my list so short? Oh well, I need to get back to My Fellow Citizens but am traveling at the moment and want to savor it without interruption.

TSLoMS - On the peanut allergy stuffs, I think DMI was hoping (and testing) that VP would save him a la what JGH has done during their first date. That's why we can see him spooned a mouthful of peanuts twice (while maintaining his stare at VP) when he clearly should not do that. After all, this happened after that telephone number incident indicating his suspicion towards VP.

Nevertheless, I would say the REVELATION is beautifully orchestrated and slowly built-up by the writers culminating to that theme park scene T_T.

There are lots of great Beanie names but "GotToKnowAllTheAcronyms" is one of my favorites!! 😂😂😂

Thanks chingu!It was clearly a struggle for me to get familiar with all the shortened forms during my early days as kdrama noob 😆

@egads,
I've been exasperated by Gal-hee's lying, and am glad she's finally paying the piper. She gets no sympathy from me for her crass betrayal of Min-ik. Cry me a river, toots.

Re: Peanut Episode #2. My take is that he is testing Veronica to see if/how she will react. Also, it underscores the fact that this is the first time his "mother" has ever shared a meal with him. And that she doesn't even know that he has a food allergy -- or if she does, that she simply could not care less. It is a subtle way for Min-ik to determine that this Veronica Park is a different person from the one he initially met who reminded him of his secretary -- who is hypervigilant about peanuts. I agree that it was a dumb move. He should have had some antihistamine handy before conducting this test. Oh, right. His secretary is the one who carts all his stuff around in her tote bag.

I mean, from a storytelling standpoint, I know why he ate the peanuts, but from a food allergic standpoint, the amount of physical discomfort that follows is not worth it. Just watching it made me itch.

@egads,
I suddenly developed an allergy to shrimp some years ago. The sensation of my throat closing up was scary as hell. Plus the hives were the pits. The thing is, such allergic reactions can manifest out of the blue, and can also become more pronounced without warning, from what my doctor told me. He advised keeping OTC antihistamine handy, which I did. The one time I accidentally ate shrimp, wouldn't you know, I was carrying a different handbag, and had forgotten to swap in the antihistamine capsules. Sheesh.

Been there, done that. Had an accidental prawn exposure on the last day of our Hong Kong trip, and because I was so loopy on antihistamines the family was able to get me on the gondolas that climb the mountains to the giant Buddha statue. I’m glad I went, but it was terrifying. Both the heights and the allergic reaction.

My brother developed a prawn allergy when he was about 18. He loved prawns, it was completely out of the blue. He nearly died just because he had no idea what was happening.

Over the last 30 or so years the allergy has extended to all shellfish so he can't eat crabs or bugs either. He is not happy about this.

@egads June 15, 2019 at 1:48 PM
Would you like a side of vertigo with your anaphylaxis, madam?! Talk about being a glutton for punishment. Yowzer!

Antihistmines used to knock me out when I was a kid. I would have just wanted to sleep them off. But if you were sightseeing before leaving for the airport, there probably wasn't anywhere you could have crashed anyway. I hope you can laugh about it now. ;-)

@leetennant ChinguMode,

Sorry to hear about your brother. It truly is a disconcerting sensation. I recall that my scalp became itchy as the hives broke out, and my neck became itchy, exactly as it did with Min-ik's peanut allergy.

My Mom suddenly manifested a severe allergy to North American lobster after eating it all her life. She was in her mid-to-late 40s at the time. Dad had no problem eating the same beastie, so it wasn't food poisoning. She had to be carted off to the hospital on two occasions when I was young before she caught on that she truly had an allergy. It was in the 60s, when information was less readily accessible.

I do wonder whether the unnatural diets fed to farmed fish and shellfish might have something to do with the phenomenon. In nature, these creatures do not eat corn or soybeans, let alone Roundup-ready GMO versions of these terrestrial plant materials.

I am loving Perfume. It doesn't do one-note fat jokes and you can see the character gaining confidence, and not just confidence because she is suddenly cute. They showed it to us in the elevator scene when she refused to be shamed and get off the elevator just because she is heavy.

Is it good? I watched the first epi and not sure if I should continue watching it.

I like it. I like that I don't know exactly how they are going to solve the situation. I look forward to it every week.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I saw some snippets of it in Instagram and it looks hilarious.

@mary i thought i was the only one that did spot the healer cast😁. That was all i did while watching episode 7, especially during the board meeting. I was even tempted to search if it's the same production team. The show is giving a very laughable translation of god (small letter intended. This in no way represents the God i serve) but i will excuse them if they tie it up as a you can't know what the Almighty is thinking, even angels don't. They just do as they are told without questions. So i hope they close that plot hole nice and well without a crack or dent.

Just finished CHIEF OF STAFF premiere, and it was truly exciting hour! I'm in for good political scheming and backstabbing.

SAVE ME2 - why I can't help but chuckle every time MinCheol get beaten up? Shame that Yong Sun won't remember knocking him out. I really hoped Pastor and MC will team up for rescue mission but I give it to writers, that what they come up with was way better plus someone finally said it in dramaland, DON'T SHAKE UNCONSCIOUS INJURED PEOPLE! I don't even recall how many times I scream that at screen. And that twist at the end, nobody is truly without skeletons in the closet in this drama.

PARTNERS IN CRIME 2 - good procedural, way way better than Voice 3.

As I wrote on my wall this week SEARCH WWW was a let-down for me in character development I feel only Gayoung stayed true to premiere self, rest became even more tropey, and I didn't like the case they come with to discuss impact of live search rankings.

NOKDU FLOWER - best historical drama this year imho, Yihoon spiralling in the darkness is masterful, I thought this character will be goody two shoes rich boy, but I couldn't be more happy with this development.

@shach
WWW: Thank you!!!! I thought I was going crazy and it was just me. I can not believe how quickly the show cast aside the fundamentals of the characters it set up in ep01.

Seriously, Ta-Mi of ep03 would have been eaten alive in the ep01 hearing. In addition, ep01 Ta-Mi would never have been threatened by Scarlett (or her violence). In fact Ta-Mi would have known that Scarlett's resorting to violence is the sign Scarlett has lost the encounter.

The other characters are even more problematic. Oh where did these interesting professional and savvy women go...and why do we have to put up with half-assed conflict as the default substitute for "strong" female characters?

The Secret Life of My Secretary: We finally came to the big reveal and typical of old fashioned dramas because Gal Hee postponed it so needlessly long Min Ik learned it in the worst possible way. Poor Min Ik, what a crash it was for him from the highs of being in love to this betrayal and heartbreak. First the woman he loves, then his friend and now he has zero support in that viper’s nest. I have no idea what’s up with the secretary rebellion. I know what Gal Hee did was wrong and we were all expecting this to happen but I hope this get resolved soon because Min Ik, Gal Hee and Veronica are all such dorks when they are in love that it is very entertaining to watch.

Secretary Park really cracked me up. I want to watch a drama with her and Gal Hee and her sister (not the dull guy though!)

Veronica dresses flashily but not really bad. I wonder why they dress Gal Hee pretending to be Veronica so bad (those giant shoulder pads!).

Talking about clothes, the fake brands are also entertaining me: Frada Malano, Cucca, Cardio.

I wonder why Min Ik did not give the real diamond earrings openly. If I owned a pair of diamonds I would like to know.

Angel’s Last Mission: Love: I love Yeon Seo and I love Dan and I love them together but unfortunately everything else seems to be falling apart in this show. So many things annoyed me this week that I am struggling to find what I liked.

Mother of Mine: This must be the week of separations, this my third show and another one the main couple is separated.

I seems like the show is going around in circles with CEO mother. She keeps telling the same things over and over. I still dislike her intensely and thus love every time someone tells her off like mom did over the phone. I hope the show doesn’t try to whitewash her in the end and make the chairman take all the blame (but I fear we are heading that way, this is one thing I really don’t like in weekend dramas). Regardless of what he did before and does from now on she is still the one who abandoned her child for money and never looked back. I don’t even understand the mechanics of this silliness. He gave mom money to send her daughter overseas. I mean she was a little girl. Who was she supposed to go overseas with? Who would take care of her? And how much money did she give that it was enough to raise her into adulthood?

Mi Ri and Tae Joo’s relationship is one step forward two steps back at this point. I wonder whether Mi Ri sees the irony of how parallel what she is doing to Tae Joo is to what her mother did to herself. Yes, she was angry about his secret but she is also keeping a very big secret. Corporate stuff is sooo boring but unfortunately with the changed circumstances, break-up and Tae Joo’s move that’s the only way we will see these together for a while so all the joy is sucked out of the drama. It’s not even halfway point yet so I am glad he finally made a move as I cannot take 20+ episodes of Mi Ri giving him the cold shoulder (and she is only deceiving herself and torturing them both. She did not like to see that he had taken his ring off).

Mi Hye should have released Jae Beom long ago. I love Pride & Predudice but of all the people I would never liken Mi Hye’s story to that. Whether he can be Mr Darcy is debatable but she definitely is no Lizzy. I don’t find her as irritating as I did in the beginning but this storyline still doesn’t touch me.

Abyss: Still watching this but gave up hope that it will shape up as the stupidity continues. I am hoping Young Chul is gone for good though as that will be improvement.

Arthdal Chronicles: I find the older couple’s relationship more compelling. Yes, many things don’t make sense but it still piques my curiosity as it delves into fresh territory.

My Absolute Boyfriend: Behind on this this week as usually this is not calling for me to watch before the other shows. I can’t get invested in Young Gu’s story but the show insists on focusing on that.

Perfume: Only watched one of the two episodes yet but I can’t believe we have yet another childhood connection.

Unstoppable High Kick: Still watching but sitcoms are slow so no progress in relationships.

Delightful Girl Chun Hyang: Still on ice as I cannot keep up with the new shows.

Diamond earrings are not a boss-secretary gift. Admitting that he gave them would be admitting that he sees her as something more. I don't he was ready for that yet.

I would like them to show up again. Not necessarily him revealing to her but for example she is wearing them and his mother makes a comment or something.

I hope that, once they're in a relationship again, she learns about the diamond earrings. Can one imagine if GH does some spring cleaning and tosses them away thinking they're fake? Yikes.

Exactly, or gives them to a friend.

Only watching Perfume.

The premise is childish, but the actors and also crew are giving it their all. Jaehee/Yerin and Jin Kyung has won my heart as characters I'm rooting for. I hope Jin Kyung won't be hurt too much. As for Jaehee, I really hope she will be happy with how she is and learn that life is worth living despite it not going her way, be more confident and actually leave thay awful husband of hers.

Yi Do is simply RH in frumpy clothing 😂.

All in all..Perfume makes me laugh and with the literature/books writernim is infusing in the script, it makes me want to go read the book. Haha

Arthdal Chronicles: still looking forward to new episodes. They sure do know how to reel people back in with cliffhanging interesting endings.

Chief of Staff: thought it was going to be a watch only one episode thing but i happen to actually like it. Looking forward to episode 2

Save Me 2
@mary I agree with you about you. I love the villagers. I'm gonna miss them when the drama ends.

Confession
I completed Confession but I don't remember most of the story that I have watched for 16+ hours. I don't even remember Junho's char name. It doesn't left any impression on me. In fact, I'm surprised that I could finish it.

The Secret Life of My Secretary
I just started this week and I love it. I'm upset they kissed as "Veronica Park" and Do Min-ik. If I were Min-ik, I would be furious when I found out she's been using my disability for her advantage. But overall, it's a fun drama. Veronica is a riot and the Dr Gi is a sweetheart.

TSLoMS - You mean Dr Gu? I am very much uptodate with the series and currently missing him in the latest episode; him with his 'winged hair'. His interactions with DMI are just hilarious. :D

No, Director Gi Dae-ju, Dominic's best friend. He helped Veronica finished her business by singing patriotic song as loud as he could 😄

Typo: I agree with you about the villagers.

Confession is slow and predictable, and main chars are so slow at figuring things out I can’t count how many times I rolled my eyes while watching the show.

And hello, Mano!

Hello Giegie!
Yes, it's so predictable. Seriously I don't understand how I could finish it. It's such a waste of time. It would be better if I hated it (like Goblin or Lucky Romance), but I don't.

WWW - This week had more of the romance than the business and a little mix of both. I liked seeing both sides, but didn’t feel like gushing over any specific scene. There were cute moments and witty & thoughtful dialogue though.

Voice 3 - Since last week’s episodes, I began to feel tired of Kang Woo’s story. It was already a major plot point last season. I wish the main leads would work together soon. The weekly cases are still engaging even though they feel a little too formulaic. On the other hand, crime procedurals tend to be like that.

Beautiful World - I’ve been steadily watching this drama. I think it is a good drama to binge because of its slow plot. The show is well-written though and the acting top-notch. I only have ONE episode left! Gi Chan’s crying makes me cry. I didn't expect that at all. I’m trying to finish this soon so that I can pick Nokdu Flower back up.

Arthdal Chronicles - Easy watch. Action scenes are cool. Good for the weekend. Interested in seeing more of Tagon’s character. Last week’s odd-numbered episode did feel weak and a setup for the even-numbered episode so the show could improve on that among other things.

My viewing of BEAUTIFUL WORLD was interrupted by travel. When I returned I had the last 8 episodes to watch. I think it took me 2 weeks to watch those episodes I could not binge.
( I just deleted a comment about the final episode. Let me just say I was not disappointed.)
The whole cast, crew, Director-nim, writers-nim etc can be proud. A wonderful drama.

I guess I didn't mean a typical binge-watching pace, but I watched 1 episode most nights or 2 episodes back to back. I liked that I could continue onto the next episode without waiting too long. ^^

That was about what I could handle a night also.
Did you watch the final episode yet?

Yesss! I'm satisfied with the finale and overall really happy with the drama. :) Moo-jin and In-ha are seriously one of my favorite drama parents of all time.

Secret Life of My Secretary: Poor Do Min-ik.

Search Query: WWW: Still enjoying it.

Arthdal Chronicles: I liked Episodes 3 and 4 less than the first two. The tribal leaders and their machinations bored me. Internal thoughts are a common storytelling device in k-dramas, but it is done SO badly here I was cringing in embarrassment. I was also cringing at the “acting” of many of the actors and extras.

Chief of Staff: Serious political dramas are usually not my thing, but I had to try this for the cast, and I thought it got off to a good start. Strong acting plus some twists and turns.

Investigation Couple 2 Korean families are crazy !

Angel's Last Mission: Love Childhood connection of course. We know 4 angels and 3 fell in love with a human. I think they should change something in their cursus how to become a good angel, because the poor ones, they end up vanished in the air.

One Spring Night I just love everything in this drama. Jiho is not a perfect father but he's trying and it's the cutest thing :D

Search Query: WWW Tae Mi is really a good character. She's strong, very good in her job, except when she is with Park Morgan, suddenly she becomes like any girl in a drama... Their relationship is what I dislike in this drama for now.

Different Dreams I'm not in the mood for this drama.

Nokdu Flower So good until now.

Voice 3 Less sick Kang Woo and more police work, please.

Arthdal Chronicles I feel like I missed the train and I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what this story is about. Like if it was a big introduction and the plot will start soon...

Absolutely agree on Tammy comment.

Good point as to the angels falling in love- and I have to wonder if this time will be different. And then God will have the curriculum revised to repair this obvious hole in angel education.

I just want to know : Will angels protest against the new curriculum?

Just what we all need: Another Rebellion in Heaven.

Nothing new this week. I am rewatching YOU'RE MY DESTINY/ FATED TO LOVE YOU (Jang Hyuk-Jang Na Ra) and it brings all the good times I had while watching it (pain included. I almost skipped the parts that hurt, but I am glad I didnt).
I love how crazy (with the sound effect from Jaws whenever he enters the room!) and subtle (his micro expressions are amazing, I think) Jang Hyuk is in his depiction of Lee Geon. I think this role suits him best. Of course I like his other dramas too, especially but I love him best here and in Beautiful Mind. I love his role in Wok of Love too.
Jang Na Ra...I love her role here as well as her role in Confession Couple and One More Happy Ending where she gets to convey people that old me and new me are both me, however different they might be. I also like her role in Hello Monster.

I dropped...
Princess Silver because of lack of spark between the leads, however, the settings are goooorrrgeous. I love how they paid attention of architectural details and made it look more...modern, like a mixture between cultures. I guess you can do that in fantasy country.

I put Absolute BF, Angel Last Mission and Voice 3 on hold, but thinking to grab JINN, a netflix series.

Princess Silver is a novel. From what I read, the novel is better. Also, this supposed to be even sadder then Goodbye My Princess. Which, I do not see it at all. I like General better than Prince Li. due to, at least he shows some emotions and good actor. The actor who plays ML is good but omg he have one expression of every emotions. I can’t tell if he is sad when he cried or he is angry or anything at all. At least you are right about the settings. I like their costumes, ost and cinematography so far.

@bunny,
I totally agree with you about Jang Hyuk in FATED TO LOVE YOU. He's awesome, especially in the opening shampoo commercial shoot. And I loved Choi Dae-chul as Lee Gun's fanboy, Director Tak.

I love Jang Nara- and FATED TO LOVE YOU was the first show that I ever saw her in. It was a re-make of a Taiwanese show- and was better than the original.

I started watching Fated to Love You hating Jang Hyuk's overthetop Le Geon character. I ended up falling in love with the character and Jang Hyuk has been on my top 5 actor since.
Jang Na Ra can cry so goooood. When she cries, you feel your heart breaking with her. Her acting in Fated and Confession Couple were top notch.

Chief of Staff ❤️❗️
Nokdu Will watch later today
Love Me Actually
The Legends
Finished My Family Goes Viral 😌

A like for The Legends.

One Spring Night: still my weekly favorite. Feel the same as @missvictrix. Just counting down to thursday (have to wait for subs) and then end up watching it on Sunday or Monday just because I dnt want to wait too long until yhe nxt episode. Lol. I like every thg abt it. Am really curious abt how it'll end.

Angel last mission: love: almost dropped this, but picked it up again so I am late. But for me it's just an okay watch. I'm not too into it and I dnt know why. I particularly do not like the aunt who seems too over the top for me, with the schemes getting too predictable, hence annoying.

Her private life: finally, go through episode 16. This almost was one of the best romcoms for me...up until episode 14. I would have been seriously fine with the series ending at ep 14. But, still it is amongst my fave romcoms