Drama viewership ratings for the week of July 22-28, 2019

Is anyone having a hard time catching up with all the new shows? Because I sure am. To make things worse (or better), we have yet another newcomer, with plenty more on the way.

This Monday and Tuesday, we had the premiere of JTBC youth drama A Moment at Eighteen, which brought in 3.0 percent. Not bad, considering the show is chock-full of rookie actors. Another Monday-Tuesday show, Perfume, ended its 32-episode run with 5.9 percent. Its direct competitor Investigation Couple 2 was pre-empted, so we won’t be seeing that finale until next week.

Meanwhile, it’s been a tight race for the Wednesday-Thursday dramas. Everyone’s settled into the 5-6 percent area, with sageuk Rookie Historian in a modest lead. In cable, Search Query: WWW ended with its highest rating of 4.2 percent. And, finally, for the weekend, we have Ji Sung’s Doctor John already reaching double digits. Perhaps this will be the next hit medical drama, a la Doctor Prisoner.

Drama viewership ratings for the week of July 22-28, 2019

Sunday, July 28
Mother of Mine 75 KBS 26.9%
Mother of Mine 76 KBS 31.6%
Watcher 8 OCN 5.1%
Hotel del Luna 6 tvN 8.7%

Tags:

It's with a heavy heart that I bid adieu to WWW 😿 It was great, and it just flew by!

While its ratings wasn't bad the show was definitely much better than its ratings.

I saw comments on finale and they reached thousands of upvotes, mostly from women in their twenties and teenagers, I'm curious how many views this drama had online.

I agree. While WWW doesn't have very high TV ratings, its youtube clips are pretty interesting in that there's a lot more Korean comments than English ones. And those comments have a pretty high number of upvotes, too. It's probably pretty popular in online streaming or maybe it just has a very vocal and dedicated fanbase.

Naver is a good way to get a sense of if a show is popping off with Korean netizens online. Search: WWW clips would always appear in the top 10 every episode on Top 100 Videos. It was well received by a lot of women, judging by the % of upvotes/comments.

Mother of Mine is doing well with around 30% ratings but KBS had those kinds of ratings in that time slot for years now. It almost has no competition. So I was surprised to see extended for another 2 weeks without being a phenomenon at 40-50%. Good for Hong Jong Hyun after the disaster My Absolute Boyfriend was I guess.

I think the extension has more to do with starting the new drama at a particular time.

In weekday miniseries you are right. Sometimes they time it based on competitor's offerings, sometimes they need more time for the next drama. But as I said there really is no direct competitor in this timeslot anymore. MBC weekend series are now 4 episodes in a row on Saturdays. SBS has them on Fridays and Saturdays. KBS is the only channel that is offering traditional 50 episode weekenders on Saturday-Sundays. There was still 6 weeks left to the finale and the next series has been lined up and announced so I didn't think it was for the next show's benefit.

I guess 30% is not a rating to be scoffed at at this day and age.

Chuseok is September 13 this year, so pushing the premiere of the new drama makes sense to avoid the weekend when everyone is away. It will affect a drama that’s already airing less because it has a steady following. Adding 8 episodes will push the finale beyond of the ratings slump weekend too.

Doctor John is pulling the ratings. Nothing like star power and a good time slot to top the charts.

I still think that Perfume was one of the underrated dramas out there.

Hotel Del Luna is still pulling solid numbers. I expect that it will raise a little. It is such eye candy, visually pleasing in all aspects, that I doubt that it is going to disappoint.

I'm finding it stronger on odd numbered episodes so that might account for the dip rise. A slight dip after the even number the week before, slight rise the next day after a great off number. But honestly, this show is packed full of entertaining moments, so even the less stellar episodes are still well worth watching.

Oops HDL for above.

I want to check out Perfume because Shin is so attractive to me lol. I was a bit turned off by the premise but I've it's actually quite enjoyable.

Perfume is definitely underrated in my books. Perfume did get positive reviews from kviewers who watched it though. Yay!

The rise of Hotel Del Luna's ratings made me happy! I hope the show stays good and becomes even better as I can see its ratings rising more.

And I am really happy that Search Query: WWW ended with its highest ratings. We all know this show is better than its ratings and it also ended on a pretty solid finale but it is still a cable show so ratings tend to be lower than shows from public broadcasting stations.

And Perfume deserve better ratings!

Yes! Perfume deserve better ratings!

I hope what comes out of Perfume is more opportunities for typecasted actors/actresses like SSR and HJS. Actors who usually play villains keep getting villain roles, and actors who do not conform to the standard beauty standard keeps getting funny sidekick roles.

May Perfume be an eye-opener to kdrama makers that the actors who usually play villains, 2nd lead roles, secondary roles, comic relief and those who are the outliers of the standard kdrama actor/actress look, deserves a chance to shine in a lead role especially if their acting skills are well-established and known. I think Perfume showcased that. It gave an opportunity for SSR, resident kdrama villain to be a romcom lead and boy did he deliver. It gave the opportunity for HJS, the comic sidekick in kdramas to be a romcom lead and she shined the brightest in this role.

I am really enjoying OCN’s WATCHER. Interesting that through the first eight episodes, the ratings for the Sunday night episode have been consistently higher than the Saturday night episode. The competition must be tougher on Saturday.

I really like Watcher too. It's more like "who is the good one" than the "who is the villain". :p

Indeed. I seriously have no idea right now who's good and who's bad.

I like it, too. Great performance from all the actors and the story is really intriguing...

Search: WWW deserves better but I'm happy it ended on a high note and the actors all seem to receive a boost in popularity. Im Soo-jung said she won't forget the role, and Lee Da-hee said this is her life's best work. πŸ’–

Hotel del Luna experienced a dip for ep 5 but peaked up again with ep 6, getting quite close to 10% in Seoul. Started getting annoyed at some details, but the show is entertaining enough.

Search: WWW ratings were an interesting case. In the 25-45 range, it achieved the highest ratings for a drama airing. Although I had hoped it would've reached 8-10% for the finale, on the bright side the ratings stayed consistent without dropping in half and that's a good thing.

Plus the online buzz judging by Naver's comments and the clips circulating online being well received, I think the drama's most important legacy was creating a positive impact for female viewers particularly in South Korea.

I think I'm going to try it. Aside from Rookie and Hotel Del Luna, which I'm enjoying, I've tried so many where the premise looked great but I dropped in 4 episodes so I'm afraid of wasting time like that, but everyone seems to be enjoying WWW and I like that it's popularity coincides with my age range!

Usually in 3 episodes, you can tell if the show vibes with you or not. If it doesn't it's probably not for you, and that's fine too. Sometimes people hit pause on something and come back to it later, and some people actually come to enjoy it. But it's worth a shot :) !

I think apart from just ratings it'd be great if we could get the weekly popularity charts as well because they are closer representation of what has caught audiences attention. Combining them also helps understand that ratings alone aren't a sufficient indicator of what drama is performing well or vice versa.

That's actually an interesting idea. Usually if a show has online buzz, I see Naver has a Top 100 list for videos and I see shows that are doing good in ratings do better online.

Although it might be a bit more work for the posters :D. I see the weekly popularity charts for both talents/shows, and its interesting to see which star is gaining traction online that week.

I agree that it's a time when the number of new dramas is overwhelming. I'm actually having a hard time keeping track of them especially since a lot of them don't seem to appeal to me (I think anyway). I'm just watching Hotel Del Luna right now but I have finally started on the excellent Stranger aka Forest of Secrets

What rating numbers make a show a "hit"? Does it need to be in the double digits? Or are double digits only seen on the non-cable, free stations in SK? Do the numbers only include SK viewers?

I just wonder what factors PDs look at when they choose new dramas, and when they are making casting decisions. How important is the "box office draw" factor? Because I can clearly see that dramas with popular actors/idols do very well, even when the drama/acting/etc are mediocre.

There are quite a few factors defining a "hit" drama. Loosely speaking, anything with ratings above an 8 will count as a hit (for 2019). Shows like Boyfriend/Encounter and The Crowned Clown fall into this category. However, the former was generally regarded as a piece of crap and the latter had literally nothing going for it except its rating numbers. True "hit" dramas need both ratings and positive hype. In that sense, other than Sky Castle, no other drama in 2019 really hit the jackpot.

Well I hope both Rookie and Hotel Del Luna make it then. Both have positive hype, and Hotel cracked 8 so hope it keeps increasing. Don't know if Rookie will crack 8, it seems to stay about 6.

Hey! I can't reply to the other comment but to answer your question yes! It's considered a hit thus far, and I wouldn't be shocked if in the next week or two it hits double digits. By then, this show will be the late Summer buzz title.

Looks to me like Mother of Mine is far surpassing the other dramas, including the two you mention, and as high as, or possibly higher, than Sky Castle.

I haven't heard any hype about it, although perhaps some people here at dramabeans may be watching it, and I just don't recall their comments. (I checked, and it is available on Viki, but only has an 8.8 rating there, and a 7.8 on MyDramaList. But then, I've noticed that the more popular (ie handsome) the male lead is - and especially if he's a Kpop star - the ratings on Viki and other sites are ridiculously inflated).

You can't really compare a weekend drama to a weekday drama. In terms of content, weekend dramas are more geared toward older folks who sit at home and watch them primarily. Whereas, weekday dramas are geared towards high school/college/working folks. So the content is more finite as in what they depict and such. Since people are busy working/doing something, when they've have some time they might catch an episode or two.

Weekend Dramas:
β€œThere are also morning dramas, daily dramas and weekend dramas that are targeting middle-aged housewives, which still portray the traditional values such as family and patriarchy,” said Lee.

β€œDaytime TV shares more characteristics with US soap operas or telenovelas, operating in a more melodramatic mode and with more reductive gender roles,” said Tilland.

So basically there's probably a reason why Dramabeans doesn't cover it b/c A) It's way too long (not 16 episodes but 100+) and B) The 2 quotes above.

Sky Castle/other cable dramas (JTBC/tvN/OCN) can't be compared ratings wise to network tv (SBS/KBS/MBC) because network tv is more widely available to the public unlike cable which is a pay by service. If a cable show has over 3%, its doing ok but if its 5% and more then its considered a success. If its double digits for cable (10% and up), its now in the range of show that has caught the nation by storm during its airing.

Yeah, I don't watch the really long weekend dramas so don't use them as comparison. They not only can have an incredible number of episodes but their pacing is soap opera slow for the most part (from the few I've watched).

So does that mean Hotel del Luna on tvn with 8.7 can already be considered a hit?