[Actor Spotlight] Jung Kyung-ho

It’s finally Jung Kyung-ho’s turn in the spotlight. The actor is currently starring in tvN’s fantasy comedy When the Devil Calls Your Name which not only has a great premise (and even greater source material), but a cast that can easily carry it to its dramatic Faustian heights.

Acting and television were familiar territory for Jung Kyung-ho — his father is actually a famous TV director. Though originally discouraged from pursuing acting, he not only studied theatre at a highly respected school, but passed an early audition, signed with an agency, and was off to a rollicking start by 2004. That was the year the hit melodrama I’m Sorry, I Love You propelled the careers of several newcomers, including Jung.

Jung Kyung-ho’s acting career has been a nice balance of genres, though I favor his darker and more dramatic performances over the light and romantic — for example, Heartless City over Falling for Innocence (not that he can’t do both).

Let’s look at some drama highlights from Jung Kyung-ho.

I’m Sorry I Love You (2004)

Truth be told, I didn’t fall under the Jung Kyung-ho spell until I back-watched this Hallyu classic. Jung Kyung-ho’s character is mostly a weepy, spoiled pop star, but there was an earnestness in his performance, and later depth to the role, that makes it obvious why it was such an important one. Though relegated to more of a secondary role to the ill-fated lovers played by So Ji-sub and Im Soo-jung, I can’t imagine this drama without any of the three. That’s because stronger than the love triangle was the bromance between Jung Kyung-ho and So Ji-sub’s character whose fates were intertwined.

Heartless City (2013)

Heartless City (also known as Cruel City) was a great bit of K-drama noir, before it proliferated in dramaland. Though imperfect, this drama did so many things right, and I loved the examination of shifting loyalties and love, which were the perfect themes for a drama about mob bosses and madams and drug rings and law-enforcing cops. The cast was great here, with Yoon Hyun-min, Lee Jae-yoon as the police officer that was trying to expose the crime ring, and my favorite character here, the fantastic Kim Yoo-mi. Nam Gyuri was technically the female lead, but I found her character the most forgettable in this really great cast of characters. Perhaps because the bromance was so strong, the romance lagged. Anyway, it’s nice to take a break from romance every now and then and dig deep into loyalty and friendship instead.

Falling for Innocence (2015)

Okay, not his best drama by far, but I had to stick this one in here because he was just so much fun with Kim So-yeon (girl crush!). And, um, he reunited with Yoon Hyun-min here too, which is also great. However, if Heartless City was moody, dark, and noir, Falling for Innocence was trite and tropey. I admittedly dropped this drama about halfway through — even though I loved the cast. The transplant trope was a bit too much. Transplanted organs from one person’s beloved, inexplicable personality changes, love that crosses the space-time continuum… I guess done well it can be good, but here it was a bit overplayed.

Jung Kyung-ho’s full filmography:

• Sweet 18 (2004) [Drama]
    Jung Kyung-ho had a bit part in this arranged marriage rom-com that starred Han Ji-hye and Lee Dong-gun.

• 5 Stars (2004) [Web Drama]
    Early “mobile” drama that gave Jung Kyung-ho some good visibility.

• You Will Know (2004) [Drama]
    Another small role in this Ji Hyun-woo and Lee Soo-kyung drama about a group of twenty-somethings. (And the cast probably were twenty-somethings then!)

• I’m Sorry, I Love You (2004) [Drama]
    Spoiled pop star with an obsessive mother (see above).

• All for Love (2005) [Film]
    Romance ensemble film and huge commercial success. Jung Kyung-ho played another ill pop singer, hah.

• When Romance Meets Destiny (2005) [Film]
    Rom-com about two brothers and their love lives. Jung Kyung-ho had a supporting role.

• My Sweetheart My Darling (2005) [Drama]
    Old school daily family drama that starred Lee Bo-young and Kim Seung-soo, with Jung Kyung-ho in a supporting role.

• Gangster High (2006) [Film]
    Action film about rival gangs that starred Jung Kyung-ho, Jang Hee-jin and Jo Jin-woong.

• Herb (2007) [Film]
    The story of a woman with the mentality of a seven-year-old who fell hard for Jung Kyung-ho. I’m not sure if this is supposed to be heartwarming or melancholy. Or perhaps both?

• For Eternal Hearts (2007) [Film]
    Art film that starred Jung Kyung-ho as a professor looking back on a past romance.

• Time Between Dog and Wolf (2007) [Drama]
    Well-received action/romance with a cool title derived from a French aphorism. The drama starred Lee Jun-ki, Nam Sang-mi, and Jung Kyung-ho.

• Beastie Boys (2008) [Film/Cameo]
    Also known as The Moonlight of Seoul, this film was about male hosts that served an exclusive female clientele in a Gangnam club. Huh, this is an interesting take on the usual hostess bar scenario, and I love the cast: Yoon Kye-sang, Ha Jung-woo and Yoon Jin-seo.

• Sunny (2008) [Film]
    Soo-ae played the titular character in this film about a woman followed her husband to the Vietnam War and sang for the troops.

• Running Turtle (2009) [Film]
    Action film that set a detective (Kim Yoon-seok) versus an escaped prisoner (Jung Kyung-ho).

• Ja Myung Go (2009) [Drama]
    Historical drama based on Korean folklore that starred Jung Ryeo-won, Park Min-young and Jung Kyung-ho.

• Smile, You (2009) [Drama]
    Lee Min-jung and Jung Kyung-ho starred in this weekend rom-com about a family forced to stay with their chauffeur’s family.

• Road No. 1 (2010) [Drama/Cameo]
    Jung Kyung-ho made a cameo as a man picking up garbage in this Korean War action/romance.

• The Great Gye Choon-bin (2010) [Drama]
    One-episode drama special that starred Jung Yumi and Jung Kyung-ho as teacher and therapist.

• Rollercoaster (2013) [Film]
    Movie about an airplane in danger and the crazy collection of people that were on board.

• Heartless City (2013) [Drama]
    Moody noir with fantabulous cast (see above).

• After School: Lucky or Not (2013) [Web Drama/Cameo]
    Cameo in this Fantasio web drama that debuted the acting group 5urprise.

• Crow’s-Eye View (2013) [Drama]
    One-episode drama special about famous Korean author from the 1930s.

• Manhole (2014) [Film]
    Jung Kyung-ho tried his hand at playing a psycho killer that trapped people in manholes, and I’m pretty sure he’s terrifying.

• Endless Love (2014) [Drama]
    Wondering what I missed in this period melo that starred Hwang Jung-eum, Ryu Soo-young, and Jung Kyung-ho.

• House, Mate (2014) [Drama/Cameo]
    Cameo in the one-episode drama special that starred his peeps from Heartless City, Yoon Hyun-min and Nam Gyuri.

• Falling For Innocence (2015) [Drama]
    Lollipops and love conquers all (see above).

• Because It’s the First Time (2015) [Drama/Cameo]
    Jung Kyung-ho cameoed as a police officer in this youth drama that starred Minho, Park So-dam, Kim Min-jae, and more.

• High-End Crush (2015) [Web Drama/Cameo]
    Hilarious cameo as an entertainment news anchor alongside Kim So-yeon.

• Amor (2015) [Film]
    Romance/fantasy film that tipped its hat to classic Korean dramas/films about terminal illnesses.

• One More Happy Ending (2016) [Drama]
    Rom-com about a girl group post-retirement and what their lives were like in their 30s.

• Missing Nine (2017) [Drama]
    Underwhelming plane crash drama that felt like it wanted to be Lost.

• Prison Playbook (2017) [Drama]
    Acclaimed tvN drama about the life of prison guards and prisoners. Great cast and great production team.

• Life on Mars (2018) [Drama]
    OCN’s adaptation of the BBC show that starred Jung Kyung-ho, and Park Sung-woong.

• Deja Vu (2018) [Film]
    Mystery-thriller that reunited Jung Kyung-ho with Nam Gyuri.

• When the Devil Calls Your Name (2019) [Drama]
    Jung Kyung-ho and Park Sung-woong reunite onscreen, and that’s reason enough to watch it.

Tags: ,

i think it was Heartless City where i first noticed him... didn't finish the series, along with Missing Nine... absolutely loved him in Prison Playbook and Life on Mars!! i am a fan, and my husband is a fan of his longtime girlfriend, SooYoung of Girls Generation...
*winks*

I'm almost sure I read somewhere that he and long-time girlfriend were getting married... or had tied the knot already... no?

Soo Young already said in an interview around that she has no plan to get married soon.

around March*

I see, I see.

Jung Kyung Ho!!!! My bias before SSR came into the picture but he remains in my top 2 bias list. Haahahah

It was LoM that introduced me to JKH. I might have watched him before but LoM was an eye opener. He was so so so good as Tae Joo. I've watched or rewatched nearly all his previous dramas/movies after LoM.

Out of all his dramas..for now my faves are Falling for Innocence and LoM. LoM is kinda heavy for a rewatch, FFI is lighter and I've rewatched FFI scenes so many times. 😆

Falling for Innocence was the first kdrama I watched - back in my naive days when everything I now think of as tropey seemed new and innovative including heart transplants and Trucks of Doom. Sigh.
I have fond memories of those days.

So yes, everything that's happened to me since watching that drama (including finally getting to that Rooftop) is all thanks to Jung Kyung-ho and his comedic timing.

On a more serious note, I loved him in Prison Playbook.

I feel I need to share this quite sweet moment in Naive Cloggie's kdrama-watching career (which still makes me laugh at myself):

The plot of FfI is basically about this guy who's about to die from a heart disease who wants to take revenge on Bad Chairman as the last thing he does. The secretary starts to work with ML and then there's a scene where the Chairman finds out and ... HE HITS HER! In front of LOTS OF PEOPLE!

And Naive Cloggie thought (wait for it): that's it! they've won! because HR will get involved and the Chairman will get fired and....yeah, that's not how that played out.

However, I do still like the story/character arc, because the ML gets his revenge roughly halfway through the drama, realises it's not all it's cracked up to be, he's also not going to die, and now he has to figure out what to do with the rest of his life.

Even now, I think that was quite a fun way of pacing the drama.

Why do I feel this was me writing it, it was also one of my very early dramas and I loved every moment of it, all the troupes were new and heart transplant was genius, I could take even few more transplants and I loved the revenge plans and all the company politics and every part of romance, hahahah!

And Jung Kyung Ho secured his place forever in my oppa list !

Hahaha 😂 HR would come in and fix everything! That is a good one.

Oh, those naive days when you thought HR would get involved with a little workplace slapping. Good times. Good times.

Possible FFI spoilers ahead:
@cloggie,
FALLING FOR INNOCENCE was early kdrama days for me. HEARTLESS CITY was my fifth kdrama and made me a fan for life of JKH and Yoon Hyun-min. CITY HUNTER was next followed by FFI.
The main reason I watched was that it reunited buddies JKH and YHM. Sorry to say I am now a little shaky on the plot but fair they were childhood friends who wound up being enemies (I think).
I remember thinking at the time (and learned later to recognize this trope) that trauma/violence in childhood can wreak emotional havoc when the child becomes an adult. JKH’s character’s “ship” eventually straitened up but YHM’s character (dealing among other things with unrequited love) never did and it was heartbreaking to watch.

Heyyy @obsessedmuch... how, how many of his dramas have you seen again? Was it... was it all of them? I uh... can't quite remember 😜😜

Hehheheh I wish! But no! Just... many... but not even half off the list! I have watched every drama of his post Heartless City and almost every cameo! :P

Girl get on it then!!! Where's the loyalty!!?

*hurries back to my laptop and watches every JKH drama possible*
Nah
I have to live a real sucky adult life instead 🙄

I watched about 12 of his projects (ffwd button in hand), you aren't missing anything. Hahaha. Imo, his newer dramas are better 😂.

Don't watch Endless Love - you'll tear your hair out at the ending! I loved him in it, but tptb decided to cut the drama short by 4 episodes, so even though the whole what, 56? episodes? he loved, protected and was loyal to her, they cut to too many years later with him and the 2nd lady lead married with children. Aargh. And she was supposed to have "endless love" for the leading guy (JKH was 2nd) and they had zilch chemistry. But JKH acted his heart out.

Im Soo Jung was in I'm Sorry I Love You! Gah! I was sure while watching WWW I had never seen her before. I should pay more attention.

Also: now I'm curious about Jung Kyung Ho's cameo in Sweet 18.

Well if you want to watch sth new with ISJ, go for Chicagi Typewriter. That and WWW are the only dramas she has done since I'm sorry i love you.

I remember watching I'm Sorry, I Love You back when I was still a grade-schooler because my Mom was a big fan of melodramas but I couldn't remember him there. Fast forward to 2018 where I loved him in both Prison Playbook and Life on Mars, two of the best dramas that year. Haven't watched him in any of his past works yet but his performance on his ongoing show When The Devil Calls Your Name was excellent, both his acting and singing skills.

But the first time I remembered seeing him was on the Dispatch news of him and Girls' Generation's Sooyoung going on a date. They are really a cute and lovely couple. HAHAHA

Although its hard to pick just one he is my favourite male actor because i fell in love with his versatility and his adorable personality. He always shines in every role and his screen presence makes every show watchable as long as he is in it. Heartless city will always be my favourite work by him and my favourite bromance in dramaland. I hope he keeps rising as an actor because his talent is so underrated

agree with every word you wrote! he had my heart with heartless city too and i am loving him in when the devil--- i fell hard and i'm not coming out of it!

I think my first drama with him was Time Between Dog and Wolf, but hw was the bad guy so I doesn't remember very well :p

Smile, You with Lee Min-jung is a nice family drama. It's not my favourite genre of drama but this one was nice and funny.

Heartless City was his post army drama and he looked stunning in this drama! His clothe's style, his haircut all was perfect and really suited him. My favourite drama with him! He was really charismatic in this drama.

In Endless Love, he was the second lead and I had a second lead syndrom...

InFalling For Innocence, Prison Playbook and Life on Mars he could show how he's good in comedic roles too.

He was so much better in every way in Endless Love: his acting, his chemistry etc. First male lead was awful in every way.

His character did all the work too. It was pretty frustrating to see.

And to think I watched it twice, hoping I mis-remembered the ending the first time! Plus, as many times as JKH got severely beaten to within an inch of his life, I'm surprised he lived thru it.

I think the first time I saw him, was on Time Between Dog and Wolf ... at first I was there for Lee Jun Ki, but ended up loving also Jung Kyung Ho's character as well. The dynamic between those two is amazing, especially seeing their childhood. And I think it's a classic drama (memory loss!!) with all its elements. I also loved Cruel City/Heartless city (wasn't expecting those twists! you got me there drama!). And I am enjoyig a lot When the Devil calls your name, I admit. PS: would it be possible a second part (season) of Time Between Dog and Wolf ????? Oh i would love that

i second your PS! i loved that show also.

I first caught him in MISA, and then Time between Dog and Wolf. He has some an impressive drama choice in his earlier career. Time between Dog and Wolf. is still hold a place in my heart.

The Highlight is his heartless city character and performances for me. I always fangirling his performances there, and his character is make me feels to the core. So memorable.!

Now. Because of that performances I have to endure when he keep picking lackluster project. Thanks to life on Mars, that drama save me.

The second project I love he is in is Smile you. His chemistry with Lee Min Jung is off the charts.

Second the enduring part. No matter how bad a show is I do give it a chance for JKH but I am not a really good fan, I give up too soon on bad scripts. Thankfully he has started picking or getting good projects again.

At times I give up after watching the first 2 episode. For example, one more happy ending. I try to be a good fan.. But at times the bad execution is too much. I know actor is not always lucky get picked by a good production. But as his admirer. One can hope. I hope he pick project more wisely from now on for my health sake. Ha2..

I loved Smile, You! I was so bummed Viki dropped it.

Ahhhhh one of my favourite ever actors!!

I first saw him in One More Happy Ending- a show I took up for Jang Nara, and I remember saying, "why does the guy look so weird? Who even is he?" after watching the trailer with him dressed as a pregnant lady! Fast forward to the last scene of the first episode and I am a goner. Such a goner! I finished the second ep and then while waiting for next week's episodes, I marathoned Falling For Innocence (not a perfect show but JKH there was crazy funny! It probably has some of the most hilarious moments I remember from kdramas!)
After finishing this, I went on to Heartless City and I knew then that there was no looking back. He was brilliant there. Again, not a perfect show but wow did it come close to perfection!

I literally have watched shows cuz he cameoed in them! That is what I was doing while waiting for him to be in a drama! And then he came with Prison Playbook and while initially, I was disappointed that he wasn't the main lead, the show really gave equal importance to him as well. Next came the drama that is part of my Top5 now and really, how great was Life On Mars!!!! It was perfect!

The guy has been choosing brilliant scripts and doing so well! I dunno but I think like his shows aren't crazy hits and his popularity is also kinda understated, but I kinda love that as well!

I am now watching him in When the Devil Calls Your Name and I am enjoying his portrayal a lot! Also, wow, he looks so good in that hairstyle!

You sound just like me! All the way from One More Happy Ending and Falling for Innocence to Heartless City, etc. Took me a long time to find Time Between Dog and Wolf!

Life on Mars brought Jung Kyung-ho to my life, and it remains my favorite drama of his. I went back and watched Heartless City, Falling for Innocence, One More Happy Ending, Prison Playbook and tried but dropped Missing Nine. He is a versatile actor, good in both dramatic and comedic roles, but I tend to favor the serious ones over the rom-coms.
When the Devil Calls Your Name is a good dramedy so far, and hopefully it will continue to be a gem 💎 !

I love JKH and am glad to see his projects laid out like this, it makes me feel better about his career (which always feels a bit under the radar). His bromances with Yoon Hyun Min are the best!

Wow does he have a long filmography! I’ve only seen him in Prison Playbook. I always have to remind myself that he’s male when he comes on screen though, because he’s so pretty! I think his features would do well in a saeguk, something with a long, beautiful, mane of glory and a gorgeous costume. Goryeo period drama next please! #imhereforthepretty

Also waiting for that sageuk... He looked good in JA MYUNG GO but the drama was boring. I only stuck through 4 episodes to see him.

I couldn't stand Ja Myung Go either, but only because of the lead female. She's well loved but I could never stand her acting. Script wasn't great either.

@missvictrix
thanks for the essay. I'm a little surprise that there was not more emphasis, like a mini exposé (similar to what was done for lesser shows like Falling for Innocence) for his great acting in his latest projects, Prison Playbook and Life On Mars. I absolutely looooved him in both shows.

i didnt know he was in PP so i miiiight just watch it cos it has a lot of people i like in it.

JKH was excellent in a somewhat low key role in PP. He had some lovely and comedic scenes with Kim Kyung-Nam who played his sweet younger brother.

I first watched in him Cruel City and it sealed the deal. He's one of my favourite actors in dramaland, even though I don't always agree with his choice of projects. I think I like him best in dark and moody works (perhaps influenced by my first encounter with him in Cruel City), but I also like his comedic turn in Prison Playbook.

He and PD Lee Jung Hyo (director of Cruel City and Life on Mars) are my dream team. When they work together, it's magic for me. The two of them and Yoon Hyun Min are such good friends and good bros in real life. In an interview after LoM ended, PD Lee said he and JKH promise to do 5 works together, so they still have 3 more works together to look forward to ^^

Heartless City was my very first non-romcom Kdrama and I’m grateful. I fell in love with his performance and I’ve been a mega fan since. I even had my mini ‘spotlight’ maybe a year or more ago on the wall.
I’ve seen almost every drama he’s been in post HC even though I didn’t finish some. I also prefer him in darker characters. I want to watch him play a character similar to Paksadeul! I’m honestly so glad he’s gaining more and more recognition!
He’s a talented actor who’s seriously underrated!

When LOM aired I commented that JKH had 2 solo scenes where he did a sort of Paksa-adeul cameo. In other words he had 2 kick-ass scenes where I said to myself “Paksa is back!”

One of my favorite actors alongside Lee Sun kyun. I always prefer writing over watching a show for an actor. But these two actors make sure that even if the story's going to allwrong places, they will save their show on their accord. I am so glad that JKH has been picking good shows after Prison Playbook. I especially like that he ad libs quite often. Such a scene stealer, I hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

I love these two actors too! There's something about them that makes everything right, if not better, hahaha...

Why is he sooo handsome in your cover photo?!

Love JKH, one of faves (lols but I did forget to write his name in the list and now I also remember I forgot LJS @yyishere @katakwasabi @obsessedmuch)

First drama is Heartless City then totally fallen for him on Innocence. Another great is OMHE then current one is Devil!
He is a great actor with a handsome face and an awesome winning smile!

It's the floppy hair. Everyone looks better with floppy hair. (May be showing my age with this comment.)

he needs to keep his long hair. i loved him in life on mars. he looks like that one dude from that kpop band 'winner' (i used 2 love them lemme not play) something about him! and sooyoung and he are so cute. i love it. he's also super funny!!!!!!

something about LoM....i was bored of it att first (i was busy around this time, probs wasnt paying attn) and i still majorly hate the abusive tactics used by the cops (yea yea i know) but the show was so beautiful. one of the best things OCN did that year. the last few episodes i could not stop crying. that team was so good. such a bizarre fun beautiful show. he really brought his character to life and meshed so well with the rest of them.

the tvn drama sounds soooo good so i hope it is good (and stays that way.) he's working with actors i respect!!!

SMILE, YOU ^^ overly long but he and lee min jung are so pretty together

First thing I ever saw him in was Princess Ja-Myung. And so help me, I liked it. (I don't know why. It ended HORRIBLY!) Why are there so many historical (or fantasy) dramas that I like??

I first saw him in PP and wondered why I hadn't noticed this gem until that show. Like most of you here, I started watching his previous dramas while waiting for Life on Mars -and... a wonderful ride of shows it was! No matter how bad the writing turns to be, he saves the show with his versatile acting. Can't decide which I like better: Han Tae Jo's growing pain, Lee Jun Ho's understated loyalty, Kang Min Ho's childish acts, or Paksa-adeu's charm. JKH is so underrated, but I love that he does not seem to bother. He seems to pick projects that challenge his acting skills, and
I also notice that he keeps in touch with his co-stars or cast and probably agrees to be cameos out of favor :) Watching bts of LoM, I think he is a dorkable person.. Soo Young is lucky!
Hope the current show shines..

yes to this! I love that he seems like such a loyal person. I saw the WGM episode of Kim soyeon- he was so sweet giving that letter ala Sassy Girl

Let's not forget his voice cameo (or maybe we do want to forget 😁) as Jeum Dol the Egg in Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter.
But seriously, I love Jung Kyung-ho. He is definitely on my top ten list of favorite Korean actors.

love him even though his *good* dramas are too dark/heavy for a rewatch.
I have so far seen:

Cruel City - my top1 JKH drama, brilliant, best bromance, best 1 vs 100 in an alley fight scene

Smile, You - light and cute, background show while doing some chores

Rollercoaster - I remember thinking "why am I watching this crazy movie?", but later finding out about his relationship with the cast and crew which was just so sweet

Missing nine - quite possibly a trainwreck but I finished it

Great bye choobin - adorable! I wish it were longer though

Prison Playbook - my top 2 fave show of his, great story, cute bromance. there was a scene of him in the cinema where I honestly wished I were the girl

Life on Mars - top 3, but too heavy to be rewatched at least for now. another unique challenging storyline

Laws of the Jungle in NY - reality show and his personality seemed so chill and cute in real life. Ailee is also in this season which was another plus

my must watch after this spotlight:
Sunny
Manhole
All For Love

I'm not sure if I should give his romcoms a chance but might try FFI just to see him and hyunmin in 1 frame together again

Couldn't agree more! Try FFI, he's funny..
I'll try Rollercoaster when I have time :)

He is my ultimate favourite in korean shows. What a talented actor he is. He makes the characters that he play so unforgettable. To this day i have never forgotten his role in Heartless City, the very first drama of his i watched. He is doing more quality shows now. Life of Mars, Prison Playbook etc. Good to see him growing into a more refined actor than he was before. I am so happy to see him on screen.

Jung Kyung Ho is seriously one of my favorite actors. I fell for him after seeing him in Heartless City for the first time. I’ve seen 6 of his dramas so far (thought it was more lol). I like that he has taken on various roles. From comedic to dark & mysterious ones, he’s been awesome. I still really need to watch Prison Playbook sometime, but Life on Mars is one of his best dramas. I’m glad his popularity seems to have risen lately. ^^

I adore his bromance with Yoon Hyun Min too. (Just hoping YHM gets that next great role as well.)