Open Thread #619

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

ASHES - 3rd test. 9 hours per day. Australian and English visitors gonna understand it the most.

Any Sport is Pinnacle of what life is . Almost Nirvana.

This week was pure happiness.

Vagabond's new trailer is on tvn youtube channel.
After watching all scenes i'm becoming of the view that It will be criticised and mocked by many.

As for life - You say one thing - get followers.
Say the other - you get followers. World population is getting perfectly polarised. Its either u r with me or against me notion that has gained more traction.
Isaid this few months ago too - Trumpchumps r reveling in their own bigotry(i'm using the word in real sense), conveniently ignoring what goes against their set narratives, forming coterie seeking confirmation of their ill intentions and malicious thoughts. Narrow-minded approach has set them to do noise pollution and reject every reason. All phony talk to raise some social points. I don't reject them but if i feel their intentions are malicious and they r insincere then the best is to show indifference. Better raise white flag than wrecking your brain over something so trivial.
You certainly can gain a lot of followers on SNS if you do engage. I don't need much as i'm already loved by too many. heh

Hello Beanies!

Good Friday! One question for you just for curiosity.
Is there an actor or actress that you liked but performed so badly in a role that made you dislike them? What about the reverse?

Never permanently, only when drama is airing, example Go Ara, I like her on varieties and she seems like great gal, but she actress she is not.

Whenever I dislike Go Ara’s acting I rewatch Reply 1994 and it makes me fall in love with her again.

There are some people like Go Ara who I like in variety shows but don't enjoy their acting.

Yes, there are actors that I love on varieties and not so much in dramas, and I really like Go Ara, just not her acting.

I despise PARK YOO CHUN but i miss him so much on screen.

I love her to pieces in REPLY but I can't say the same with her other dramas. Eyebrow acting only fits "this" Mishil 😁.

Quick question, have you seen her in Miss Hammurabi? I really liked her there although I didn't enjoy her other works.

I do, but I wasn't that impressed with her in the second part of the drama.

Understandable.

In my case, it's more the quality of their projects and their roles than strictly their performance (I didn't expect Yoon So Hee to be this bad in Ruler tho). I become too attached to the characters and transfer my affection to the actors and actresses. If they don't play characters as impactful as the one I discovered them with or keep getting less engaging roles or less diversity, I start losing interest in them. However, I still want to give them more opportunities to win my heart back.

Song Hye Kyo impressed me in That Winter The Wind Blows (the drama that made me fall for Kdramas) and her following roles weren't as appealing to me. Darren Wang in the Taiwanese movie "Our Times" took my heart as the bad boy in love with his new friend while in his latest movie "Fall in Love With The First Kiss", his portrayal as the cold and genius student left me as cold as his character. Joo Won's projects after Bridal Mask were underwhelming. Ha Ji Won's projects since a few years don't match well with her skills (please no aegyo or rom-comy vibe in Chocolate please).

For the reverse, I don't think apart of
Kim Young Kwang in Lookout who was a rediscovery for me, nobody that I dislike wowed me as much as him. I've seen a few of his other dramas and something always seemed off to me but this anti-hero's portrayal changed my opinion and he still delivers in his following projects.

I’m apprehensive about Chocolate because I like both leads but if it’s a redo of their characters in The Time We Were Not In Love... nope, I’ll pass. I ’d watch it if it were bitter, dark chocolate. Not sweet sticky rom-com chocolate.

Their characters? Only Ha Ji Won was in that drama but I agree, nobody wants this horror to happen twice.

So I checked out Chocolate's writer and director and they're the ones behind Uncontrollably Fond (disliked it) and I'm Sorry I Love (liked it a lot). So it might be on the melo side and be bitter, dark chocolate like you said.

Yoon Kyung Sang was the second-lead in The Time We Were Not In Love. It’s the only drama where I didn’t love him (even if he played a pianist), but I was more frustrated by Ha Ji Won’s character for dragging on the relationship with him.

Ooh so it might be bitter, dark chocolate of the melo kind.

Ha Ji Won- only time I didn't like her was in The Time We Were Not In Love( or whatever). She just didn't seem cast right. She has to play a badass. Actually I didn't like any of main characters in that show.

@wishfultoki Isn't Yoon Kye Sang cast in Chocolate and not Yoon Kyung Sang (quite confusing names!)?

Like @fan I liked none of the characters in this drama because everything was dragged for too long.

@mango Oh, you’re right! My bad. I read the casting news a while ago and the names got muddled.

yessss to this: "Kim Young Kwang in Lookout who was a rediscovery for me" -- i wasn't much of a fan of his before that drama---I think I was even wary of that show because of him---but now I totally love him. You might even say I (wait for it...) LOOK OUT for him (i'm so sorry. i really am ;).

I don't know what happened to him with this role but that's the best decision he made for his career until now.

I love Ha Ji-won in only 2 dramas,DAMO(2003) and HWANG JINI (2006).

Song Hye Kyo has been around for a long time but I never got into her acting until THAT WINTER and the only reason why I watched it was for writer Noh Hee-kyung. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed her performance.
I hope she'd do another drama with Noh. I've always love the roles of her leading ladies.

It seems like Ha Ji Won's strengh lies in sageuk and action. I understand that she wants to broaden her spectrum but she has to choose better projects. In her early days she did rom-com and it wasn't as bad as her recent projects

Song Hye Kyo did an other drama with Noh Hee Kyung before That Winter. It was Worlds Within starring Hyun Bin.

Right now I can only think about Go Soo. I like that guy so much and tried to give him so many chances to impress me but damn. NO! He is not what I wanted him to be:)):((

But this question is so interesting and I know I’ll be refreshing the page to see the coming answers!

This is so true! Although in my case the reason I liked him was because the beanies of the yore all loved him so much. I didn't know much about dramas and actors back then but he registered in my mind as a great actor. He has unfortunately disappointed me every time in the past decade+

O I understand. There are times we hear and hear about an actor but then when we go for them they let us down so bad..

I think the beanies of yore who watched him in GREEN ROSE (2005) love/ like him a lot. I had no opinion of him until I saw him in 2 sageuks and he was out of his element.

To me, he is sometimes good, sometimes bad. Until when, my fave drama was "Piano" and I loved him giving me all kind of feels (he loved Kim Ha-neul character who was his step sister in the show)

I hated UEE when I saw her in "you're beautiful", I disliked her in the fee bits I watched from "high society", but I really truly loved her in "marriage contract".
On a side note, I was watching "my husband Oh jak do" (I dropped it), and then I didn't totally liked her back again. So... I feel it depends on the role.
Although, boy, there is no role that make me warm up for Lee Min ho.... not that I hate him, but I don't enjoy him either. I have procrastinated on watching the legend of the blue sea just because of him... 😐

It's the opposite for me. I really didn't like Lee Min-ho, but Legend of the Blue Sea made me warm up to him. Although I wouldn't call myself a fan. Maybe it was just Jun Ji-hyun working her magic.

Oh UEE! I know the feeling. I watched My Husband Oh Jak Doo while FFing:)) her scenes because my love for the country pumpkin and Eric didn’t let me drop it!

And about TLOTBS, there is a scene that Jun Ji hyun and Jo Jung suk’s characters cry pearls while watching Master’s Sun drama and it’s hilarious. It’s not that bad to give it a try.

I will try. Even my sister recommended to me. I will have to find the time.

Hahahahahahhaa they were crying over dramas! If only that's how it worked, we'd all be rich.

Lol, I’m sure I’d be filthy wealthy 😂😂

Same about LMH. I don't hate him, he just leaves me completely cold.

BUT! Have you watched Faith? It is like he was born to play that role, and that role was created only for him.

I watched two other dramas with him after Faith and I was back to feeling indifferent.

I loved Sung Joon in Shut Up Flower Boy Band but after Discovery of Romance, Hyde Jekyll and Me and High Society I avoid any drama that he's in. I disliked all three of these dramas and am not sure why I didn't drop them (well except for High Society which had a wonderful secondary romance in an otherwise really (and I mean horribly) bad drama).

Same with Jung Eun Ji. I loved her in Reply 1997 but hated her in That Winter, The Wind Blows. This drama also made me dislike Kim Bum.

Same with Sung Joon! His role in Shut Up was perfect for him. But I disliked all of his later shows and roles. Imho he was promoted to lead status much too soon.

Yes, one of my first kdramas was Can We Get Married? And I really liked Sung Joon in that, but have disliked him in everything else. (I haven't seen Shut Up Flower Boy Band, yet.) I really disliked Kim Young Kwang because I hated his character in CWGM. Now, I adore KYK - between loving him in Go Ho's Starry Night and Lookout, I would now watch him in just about anything. And forgive all kinds of character nastiness!

My theory about Sung Joon is that he's a good actor he just picks terrible dramas lol.
At least that's what I've found.

He was good in White Christmas, playing a guy without feelings. kk

Model Avengers ftw

After reading the interviews and watching the BTS on how steadfast she wanted to play her role, I think Son Ye Jin performed very well in Something in the Rain to the point many viewers disliked her character and her character's choices.

I've always loved Son Ye-jin. I think she is very talented and can deliver in any genre. I'm not much of a rom.com fan but first saw her in GREAT AMBITION (2002) and the movie CLASSIC (2003).
She is one of those few actors who has a solid ground in both Chungmuro and dramaland.
I love her in NOONA despite being irritated with the 2nd half of the show.

I'm not a fan of the writer of her new drama with Binnie but I'll watch it for them.

Funny I don't even remember Son Ye-jin in Great Ambition. I love loved Jo Hyun-jae (was it his first drama?) and admired his handsomeness. At the same time I didn't like Lee Yo-won who looked too tall (lol She doesn't look tall now since everyone is tall, but when she started, she stood out because she looked so tall.)

I loved them all. Son Ye-jin, Jang Hyuk, Lee Yo-won, Jo Hyun-jae and the young Jang Keun Suk. GREAT AMBITION was probably their first sageuk.
Jo Hyun-jae was one gorgeous Joseon prince.
I loved how naturally beautiful each of them were in those days.
I'm glad they have solid acting career after all these years. Hopefully Jo Hyun-jae and Jang Keun Suk will get a career reboot in a good drama.

Loved, loved and loved Son Ye Jin in Classic! I was blown away with her and Jo Seung Won's performance. The same can't be said for Jo In Sung who was greener than grass at the time. Thankfully he got better with the years.

Son Ye Jin is a really great actress (one of my favourite) and I think she just doesn't choose good dramas while her movies are more interesting.

Yoona Im... so much I can’t join friends to watch Exit in theaters because I refuse to pay for her movies.

Sorry but I’d love to add Hwang Jung Eum to my list! There is something with her acting that I’m unable to understand!

Not really performed badly but I hated his character so much in She Was Pretty, I've never seen anything Park Seo-joon since.

As for the reverse, it's Lee Yoo-bi. I always thought she was awful and I've seen most of her works. I never liked her until she became Woo Bo-young in APAD and now she's my girl.

Truck?
I'll bet most of us like in a few roles but hate in most.

😭😭😭😭😭
I will try to frame it as being the one you love to hate the most, focusing on the word love.

omg, Han Ji Min in Jekyll, Hyde (which was a total train wreck anyway). Since then I can't even see a photo of her without cringeing. I won't watch anything she does.

This is what I think - actor/actress look good or bad depending on the show and role. Yea, Han was bad in Jekyll, but good in Lights in your eyes. Another thing I notice is it depends on who the co-stars are. Rookie actors seem to do much better acting. When they act with veteran actors.

I detested her in Hyde but then she was great in Familiar Wife and I was back to liking her.

... it pains me to say this but the only thing I have liked Ji Chang Wook in is Healer... Healer made me love him; everything else made me question his ability to act at all. 🙄
I never saw the fuss about Lee Seung Gi until Hwayugi which pretty hilarious.

opposite. I hated Healer but liked Suspicious Partner but maybe just because the kisses were much hotter in the latter. am not convinced somehow my his action / sageuk roles. too pretty for a ninja?

although, there is a manga I liked and I would imagine him as the main character who was in fact an actual ninja. but it was more of a ninja romance than a martial arts comic.

LMAO
Suspicious Partner, despite kisses, drove me up the wall with it's second half.
And is role in Healer I adore not so much for the action and ninja-ness, but for the portrayal of an awkward, socially starved and abandoned loner.

I fell in love with him in Healer but SP was dropped without doubts.

Exactly how I feel about JCW.

I have always liked LSG a LOT despite not being a great actor, but Hwayugi convinced me that soldiers are allowed to take acting courses during their time in the army! His improvement was jaw-dropping.

He was great in Hwayugi. Excellent even, despite the rest of the show.

I couple of other actors that I've developed a dislike for primarily due to event that they probably had nothing to do with but I still blame them for the drama debacles that resulted.

Seo Kang Joon - I believe the whole Cheese in the Trap debacle is because the director of this drama fell in love with Seo Kang Joon and decided midway through the drama to make him the lead. Suddenly Park Hae Jin was sidelined with his scenes cut and replaced by scenes with Seo Kang Joon. I haven't like Seo Kang Joon since.

Same with Jung Yong Hwa in Marry Him If You Dare. I believe the truly crappy ending we got was because the writer/director didn't want to offend Jung Yong Hwa's rabid fans and decided to offend us viewers instead. This drama remains on my "all time worst dramas" list and I've for the most part avoided dramas with Jung Yong Hwa.

Yep.. I’m still a Seo Kang Joon hater. Not like actively bash him, but I still avoid his dramas. And I don’t even like the lead actor of CITT that much. I just felt things got shady halfway into the drama so I dislike him and his management.

In reverse, i think i hated KIM JI WON in THE HEIRS, but after FIGHT MY WAY, man did i like her a lot. She's even the more reason i signed up for ARTHDAL CHRONICLES.

I was gonna comment the same thing so yeah, that makes the two of us😁

I dislike certain actors or actresses but not because of a bad performance or anything like that.

Hwang Jung Eum was excellent in Can You Hear My Heart and Secret, but every other drama I've watched with her, I've given a worse rating because of her performance. The screeching and the constant over-acting nearly ruined Kill Me Heal Me. She tends to get better as the drama progresses but it's always the same.

She was capable in GIANT.

Ooh, I haven't watched that one. Thank you for the tip.

Hello Fellow Beanies

Hope you guys have a nice friday and a good weekned
This week went by so fast it's so weird. I'm finally getting used to the whole school rutine which is great. I can't wait till September with all the new kdramas coming.
Right now I'm only watching Let me hear your song. Been reading the webtoon series July Found by chance, so I'm excited for the drama. Hope its just as good as the webtoon.

Oh dear September, could you please come sooner?!^____^

It’s just some hours to September but it feel like it’s gonna take forever!

Indeed since I’m not watching any dramas these days( except Doctor John which I put it on hold because it breaks my heart) and waiting for the ones airing in Sep^^

I avoid BL
I cringe at bad CGI
I laugh at zombies
I fail at xianxia/fantasy.
I started The Untamed last weekend and would have finished if I didn’t have to work or sleep.

Welcome to the club, haha.
This is a show I shouldn't liked at all based on what you written above, and yet I keep obsessing over even after finishing it.

Same! I might give The Untamed a chance.

The first couple episodes of The Untamed stays quite true to the novel makes it a highly confusing watch for those who have not read the story. I would highly recommend reading the first few (perhaps 10) chapters before start watching. Besides giving one more understanding of the setup, the novel itself is truly a pleasure to read!

I really dont like how they handled the first 2 ep. I think they should have shown him dying then gone immediately to the past. I was super confused about what was going on. Since you have no clue who all these characters are you miss tons of subtleties and the emotional impact of the reunions. Once the drama caught up to the present day I then went back and rewatched the first 2 ep. again so I could catch onto those things.

Yes, I tried to start it last night but the beginning confused me. I was expecting them to go straight to the past after the guy fell off the cliff, but then it was some guy in a house with blood? I decided I was too tired for it.

If you don't want to read the novel first, @bcampbell1662, @trinpie made the excellent suggestion below -start the drama with episode 2, 29' mark (YT vid) which takes you from the beginning of the story. Watch until Ep 33 at 13' which takes us back to the present time line, go back to episode 1 & 2 before continuing Ep. 33.

Ya. I would suggest to just skip to the end of ep. 2 where it starts in the past. It took me until about ep. 6 or so to really get into the drama and then about ep. 12 is when I started getting addicted. When I started it I texted my mom (who had started the drama weeks before me and said it was really good) asking her wtf was going on and saying I was super confused. It was definitely poorly handled (which is pretty much universally agreed on). The drama started out with pretty bad reviews but the reviews got higher and higher as the drama progressed until it ended with rave reviews. So I would suggest to stick with it if you are patient 😁

I definitely recommend it. The first 2 ep. were poorly handled imo and you could even skip over them. I personally didnt really get into the drama until like ep 5 or 6 and then I got obsessed at around ep. 12. But then I just got more and more addicted and even days later the Untamed fever hasn't subsided. This drama still has its hooks in me. I cant stop thinking about it or looking up stuff on this drama. I think the only thing i can do is rewatch it (I've held myself back hoping my obsession will calm down) or watching the anime or reading the book.

My Mo Dao Zu Shi obsession almost makes me medium manic! I switch between reading (novel), watching (drama, donghua, bts, interviews, fan vids) and listening to (songs, instrumental OST, audio drama) throughout the day for the last few weeks. 😅😅😅

Welcome to the club! <3
The power of drunk Lan Zan! Lol

Why weren't we given a drunk Lan Zan scene with their love bunnies? Waaaeee??
*rips forehead ribbon off and throws onto the ground

Do you want those innocent bunnies to witness drunk LZ tying WY up? Lol. LZ is not in his right mind when he’s drunk and his eyes is only on his precious WY.

When drunk LZ might not be in his right but definitely in his most honest mind. His desires are just barely underneath his perfectly serene surface. This man after all has decultivated all of the pretense of innocence away during those long 13 years.
*lights up an incense burner to reflect upon the past

@kimbapnoona Incense burner???? 😂 oh, woa duh yao!

And my apologies. I thought you meant novel LZ above, I’m getting things mixed up.

Omg drunk Lan Zhan is the best. He is so adorable in those scenes.

He is in his best version when he’s drunk! :D

Definitely recommend reading the novel for more drunk sexy LZ antics 🤣😝😍

Last week the part of Incense Burner Part 1 audio drama was released - Flirty tease WWX's pure innocent dream about retiring with LWJ. Tons of comments rhetorically asking LWJ to reflect on why his dream couldn't pass the censors 🤣🤣🤣

🤣🤣🤣 OMG!! That's hilarious!!

There is YT video made by a fan compiling sound bites from various parts of the audio drama to give us a sense what their daily "night hunt" might sound like after marriage....BTW the video starts with the stern warning "Must Wear Earbuds" 🙉🙊🙈

*fans self and engages in self imposed timeout in the Quiet Room

🤣🤣🤣
The Untamed has been pushing the boundary of my obsession. I not only have watched the drama, enjoying the novel tremendously, slowly making my way (just because it has not yet finished airing) through the donghua, and will soon start its manhua.

I had to stop listening to the audio drama while driving so I would not be a public danger being too engrossed in the story.

Yeah, this story is the demonic cultivator of my bottomless obsession.

Must close my 9 YT tabs of bts, interviews, OTP compilations, fan art.......

@kimbapnoona! I was just wondering what have you been up to and what shows you're watching. What/who do you love the most about this show?

Hi Outie! I would have been spamming and gushing over The Untamed all over the fan wall and WWW threads if rl hasn't been so unexpectedly busy this past month!! (And thank you @zetteceniza for all the awesome gifs representing us hardcore fans!! 👏👏👏)

I love so many things about the "Mo Dao Zu Shi" phenomenon so the answer to your question is a difficult one for me. But what I love the most is the story itself -the hero's journey, his descent into darkness, and ultimately redemption.

I also love so many of the characters and how the writer is able to give each of them depth. There is no love that is not deserved and there is no villain without understandable motivation. The world building is really amazing......(somebody make me shut up!! Help!!)

You summed it up exactly. I love the journey of the hero and the whole idea behind throwing conventions out the door. Just because you dont follow the conventional path does that make you wrong or evil? I think it was really the characters the give this drama power, especially Wei Wuxian. He is an extremely likeable character and even though his actor was awkward at times he embodied WWX and made you fall in love with him. And all the lovely interactions between the various characters, especially between WWX and Lan Zhan. The drama even made you fall in love with characters that didnt have tons of screentime. And the whole atmosphere of the drama, especially the music. I love the music, especially the flute and zither instrumentals. I am so horribly addicted to this drama 😍

I have been enjoying reading your UT posts @trinpie! and I cannot upvote your comment enough times!! 😂

I am so drawn to the characterization of our hero Wei Ying. I always have soft spot for characters who talk a good game (like Goo Dae Yeong in Let's Eat .) Wei Ying's verbal diarrhea the cutest thing ever!!!

I am actually really impressed by Xiao Zhan's portrayal of our misunderstood hero as a relative newbie. He is playful but never feels saccharin. My heart breaks for him when he sees that the whole world has turned against him despite doing what was just. Xiao Zhan was able to display his hurt and vulnerability that made me cheer for his resilience and completely root for the hero. I cannot imagine anyone else in that role and yes, he has made me his fan.

Definitely @kimbapnoona! When I first started I was not that big into him. He felt green and quite awkward at times but as the drama progressed I couldn't imagine anyone else as WWX. He embodied his character. He did feel awkward still at times, like when he was scared of the dog he would overact in those scenes, but otherwise I loved him.

And thanks! One of my few outlets to my obsession is to spam the fan wall lol.

You're welcome! If only I could find a video with white hard subtitles, my gif-ing would be out of control. Haha Well said, these are my thoughts and feelings exactly. I'm making my way through the novel and I have the donghua. I'm so grateful we can enjoy this story in so many ways.

Why stop? I went to bed shortly after posting on OT and woke up to all these notifications.

For me, it wasn't love at first sight. Not because of the confusing start. I don't follow fantasy stories well, no patience for hocus pocus but this one was relatively easy to get on. The BL theme was the biggest hurdle - it's the reason why I won't read the novel although it's the first time I feel tempted to for a drama.

Story wise, it exceeded my expectations. There's no cardboard villain or hero who's above everything. It deals with man, morality, society more than any xianxia I've come across.

But what really pulled me in despite my aversion are the main characters - Wei Wuxian and Lan Zhan. I'm probably biased but I find myself charmed off my socks by yet another C actor. They may be rookies but have charisma in droves and screen presence.

Looks wise, I'd say that WWX and LZ are the ultimate xianxia MLs. Xiao Zhan is perfect for period roles and I think he's got huge potential to be more. I'd normally not give someone like Wang Yibo a second look but gosh, I keep staring at Lan Zhan's face. Probably too much. Last night, in a certain state, LZ's face popped up in my mind.

@outofthisworld, you sums my feelings perfectly. And I'm curious how they future career will fare, Xiao Zhan already have big projects in making even before Untamed was broadcasted, so it's seems he will be more successful one.

@shach I see more potential in Xiao Zhan than Wang Yibo. I can easily imagine him in a different roles so he's got that edge in versatility. Yibo has the 'idol' stamp which will be harder to shake off and though he's cute, that can be a disadvantage.
I feel more so than Kdrama, it's super competitive in C showbiz. They would need more than good looks and talent. I think Xiao Zhan has that X factor which might give him the edge.

@outofthisworld, without a question Cent is way more competitve and harder to break in than Kent. It's no wonder that so many Chinese hopefuls try to jump start their career in Korea, everything to gain edge. Xiao Zhan has this "it" factor no doubt, but I think Wnag Yibo has a potential too, once he got grasp on LZ character he was pretty good, I think idols are at disadvantge because they lack real life experience, they are trained and coddled since very young, so they live in a bubble.

@shach The Chinese hopefuls going to Korea and then back to China seemed to have worked for quite a number. Anyway, I have a bad opinion of the kpop idol industry - I think the kids pay too high a price for a shot at fame.

You are right about Yibo. I love his interpretation of Lan Zhan. It's just that with his looks and idol background, I'm afraid he will get typecast.

@outofthisworld, I think ent.industry in general is a very toxic and unhealthy place for young kids but in Korea the dark side is more in the open, they took weirdly pride in all the sacrifices this kids make.
Fantasy styling doesn't suit WY imho, I was shocked how good looking he is when I saw him without LZ costume ;)

I just heard a terrible thing about kpop days ago from my husband who knows zilch. I mean I shouldn't be shocked after the Burning Sun scandal and the filth that came out in the aftermath. Still, I am utterly disgusted.

I have a very different opinion wrt Yibo as Lan Zhan. I think he looks rather 'ordinary' in modern garb but so beautiful in fantasy.

Just in case you don't know. A warning about the donghua's 2nd season. From what I read, it's only 8 eps and quality has declined significantly, especially the script. Certain style of Chinese-made donghuas generally suffer from big quality decline after the 1st season. I was hoping MDZS popularity would make it an exception. Apparently not.

Similar has been said of the manhua. Apparently the lead artist has lost her passion for the material and has become sloppy in places. I'm not too picky here so I think it's still good enough.

Audio drama has maintained its high quality among all paid audio dramas. Probably because the fans are willing to give good sometimes huge tips, adding money to the production budget.

This is hands down my favorite cdrama. Even above my previous favs. I watched this in less then a week and since then I've been reading and scouring the web non-stop for stuff about the Untamed. This drama is definitely not the greatest done drama out there but it evokes such strong emotions in me that I am able to look past all that. I cant even tell you how much I love the last 5 min. of the drama because of how powerfully it affected me. It was so beautifully done and I had to rewatch it about 6 times in a row before I forced myself to stop. The whole drama was just beautiful. ❤

Happy Friday to you beanies! How was your week? I've started too many Dramas at once. So it has become a little challenging keeping up but I believe in me, a little difficulty doesn't mean its impossible. SONG SEUNG HOON, here i come.

I know what you mean regarding the challenge of watching and keeping up with all the dramas you start! There don't seem to be enough hours in a day.

But you can do it! :)

And I keep dropping dramas for a change :)

I love this as regards drama-viewing(!) and life in general: "...it has become a little challenging keeping up but I believe in me, a little difficulty doesn't mean its impossible."

I believe in you, too! Martin J Simwaba, fighting! :D

Thanks @jamieopso

@pakalanapikake you will be pleased to know I am finally watching THE KING’S DAUGHTER SOO BAEK HYANG. I started 5 days ago and somehow reached Ep. 30. Reasons I like it so far:
- The acting! The drama has no frills, no special effects, just actors doing their job.
- The story: fast-paced, my first Baekje drama! Baby switcheroos and female characters with agency. A king with priorities and surprising pathos. The parallel stories of the sisters and the two cousins.
- The characters: So many great characters! First of all, SEO HYUN JIN rocks, but I can’t understand why people say she’s not the pretty sister. They’re eyes are wrong. Her sister with the shifty eyes reminds me of female characters in C-dramas... she’s bad news. The parents story was beautiful and tragic, as common in sageuks, but I especially loved the devoted mute Goo Chun (YOON TAE YOUNG). I’ve warmed up to Crown Prince Myung Nong (JO HYUN JAE) who looks serious and smart until he starts fussing about bugs and royal diet. Of course he falls for the peasant soup. 😂 I think my favourite character though is Royal Advisor Hae (JUNG SUNG MO). I thought he’d be a run-of-the-mill scheming minister but he has so many layers: his loyalty to the king, his desire for power, his ability to see through people, his mysterious backstories, his wry humour, his love of Baekje, his love of his family.
- The camera: zooms in on their face in a way that you see every eye twitch, every raised eyebrow, and also every pore. I think the camera angle (about 45 degrees) makes this possible. Placing the camera in front of their face would have made it harder for us to catch nuances (also creating MOON LOVERS IU’s “deer in headlights” look).
- 30-minute episodes! It does feel like a Cdrama. I’ve been gobbling up episodes until I reached a point where I could stop and take a break. Now onto boot camp! 😄

wait wait, toki what is this??? i've never heard of it, but it sounds right up my alley. (unless its a tragedy...)

It’s a 2013-2014 historical drama about the daughter of King Muryeong of Baekje. @pakalanapikake is always singing it’s praises so I went in with high expectations. I don’t know if it ends tragically yet, but so far it has the right balance of tragedy, action and comedy for me, with the promise of romance in the horizon. It might look old fashioned but the story and characters are vibrant.
The reason I hesitated to start is because it’s 108 episodes. 😨 However, the episodes are 30 minutes long it’s actually like a 54 episode sageuk.

ok when you finish, can you tell me if it's a sad ending? if it isn't maybe i'll watch it too!! :D it sounds like exactly what i'm into lately. hehehehe

Sure thing. I full on expect some characters to die but the important thing is the OTP doesn’t end tragically. I’ll let you know in as spoiler-free a way as I can!

@wishfultoki yes exactly!! thank you! you're the best <3

Feel free to watch as it has a good ending.

@tazmania yaay thank you!!

Oooh Baekje. Let me know too please. I don't mind sad endings as much tho haha.

I'm glad you mentioned the king's pathos. Lee Jae-ryong doesn't get many good roles anymore. He's a marvelous actor with a lot of depth.

Yeah, what is he doing these days? My fav among his dramas was Sangdo and the meeting scene with him and Kim Hyun-joo(Watcher) is one of my favorite scene to date. (and what his wife is doing these days? both are great in acting)

I watched this daily drama years ago and have been a fan of Seo Hyun Jin ever since. This drama and Ugly Alert are two of the best daily dramas that I've watched.

Toki, where are you watching Soo Baek Hyang? I didn't find it on Viki or on Netflix.

i have the same question :D

Kiss Asian. I couldn’t find it anywhere else.

Thank you!

Hi Everyone! ..... I hope you are all doing well today.

Hotel Del Luna - I'm ready for any kind of ending the writers have come up with.

Justice - I've said it once and I'll say it again, the actor playing Tak Soo-ho is creeptastic in this.

Let Me Hear Your Song - When Yoon faced off with Bucket Hat Baddie, I could've sworn Yoon told him that he knew he killed Ian. If he's suspected this, then why has he been accusing Yi-young from the start?

Doctor John - Uh oh, our good doc has a health secret!

That's all for now. Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Our gorgeous doc’s secret is killing me and I am feeding on funny BTS videos to delay death!

@marina Watching funny videos sounds like a good plan to me!

Have a great weekend @korfan! Yes, I'm with you on the ending of Hotel. Expecting the worst and hoping for the best!!! LOL.

Thanks @growingbeautifully. We'll see what happens ..... and also see what Man Wol wears while it does, until the very end!

@korfan, ... Did you see that link I put up on Ep 13 ...such beautiful shots of the actors... had loads of her in the great wardrobe!

Here it is again: " https://gallery.v.daum.net/p/premium/tvNhoteldelluna So many to look at, no time to watch the show!! LOL. "

Hello everyone.
I can't let go of UNTAMED and now watching every BTS video out there. In the meantime I decided to give a try another Chinese drama that make waves some time ago and started LEGENDS, it wasn't love at first sight (there are two version ??? out there and I started with lesser one) but I fell for Bai Lu and her female sidekick, Xu Kai is easy on the eyes and not bad actor for such a pretty boy.

I don't watch a lot of C dramas but once I get onto one, they take up a lot of my time. I binge watched them and then go to the BTS, interviews etc. Maybe it's because it's a language I understand so all the interactions, interviews become so much more interesting.

Untamed is my fourth Chinese drama, and unfortunately I rely on kind souls that subs BTS videos, but it's worth it, Untamed cast is hilarious on set and fun to watch during interviews too.
I started with YANXI PALACE, so now I'm like, 50 eps it's not that much I can handle it ;)

The actors are a couple of goofballs in the bts videos and makes me smile when I watch them. Even the unsubbed bts videos make me smile.

Yanxi Palace is another fav of mine.

I really enjoyed The Legends. Although I will admit that the some of the later episodes were confusing/messed up - perhaps due to censorship of content?.

I don't know about it but I noticied that there are like two versions of this drama? Depending on site, episodes differ a lot in content.

Demoness was the reason why I didn’t the Legends. She’s awesome and I loved her! ^^

Didn’t drop*

I initially loved Legends but then it really lost it's way like half through the drama and I really had to force myself to finish the last like 20 ep. Supposedly the first like 30 ep were pretty close to the book but they wanted a longer drama so most everything after was added to extend the drama length, thus filler. I wont even mention the ending. I did love the Demoness though ❤

The plotting amongst the Immortal Sect had me frequenting the fast-forward button. Without it, I don't know if I would have gotten through the final 20 episodes of so. It's a great story though and the leads are formidable, especially Bai Lu, she fits the role of Zhao Yao so very well.

I would like to recommend Ashes of Love, it's too long, but really well-made and amazing leads. I really can't get over it, currently reading the novel (which is awesome) and watching every BTS with Luo Yun Xi I can get my hands on.

A friend of mine recommended Legend of Fuyao, did anyone watch that?

Ashes of Love is one of my fav cdramas. I was also obsessed over that (but The Untamed still has it a bit beat for me).

I also liked Legend of Fuyao. Both leads were very compelling and loved how powerful she is. It's not one of my favs but it was still quite enjoyable.

Thank you! I will be checking it out as soon as I stop crying over Run Yu.

@lillamy I loved Run Yu's character and his descent from protagonist to antagonist. Even though it doesnt excuse his actions by the end of the drama you can fully empathize with him and why he turned out the way he did. His story arc broke my heart.

I just watched a drama called Princess Silver which has Luo Yunxi in it. He is a side character but he plays a very important role in the story and his character again broke my heart 💔.

@trinpie Actually I find him even more interesting comparing the novel with the drama. In the novel I find it easier to distinguish when Run Yu says something spontaneous and when every word sees calculated. I blamed it on Luo Yun Xi, his gracefulness and smooth acting really blends well with the character. I liked Run Yu and pitied him in the novel but loved him in the drama.

On the other hand, have you seen him in PhantaCity? He sings in that one. 😍

I'm back in beanie-land! It feels surreal but so nice! Somehow all the things in real life -- moving to a new place, getting myself and my family settled and all the drama that comes with that -- is finally working itself into a manageable pattern. I've even been *gasp* watching dramas again. *happy squee*

I'm going to start re-watching Rookie Historian this weekend, not getting distracted by all the cuteness and focusing instead on Ho-dam, Seorowan (sorry I never can spell it), Mo-hwa, the Dowager Queen, and all those secrets.

Welcome back!