Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

stroopwafel

Arthdal Chronicles: I am just overwhelmingly disappointed with Arthdal and the way the season concluded. I know that a second season may still be forthcoming, but I don’t know that I’ll be watching. The story had its highs–but they were far outweighed by its lows and all the money in the world couldn’t help with the poor pacing. The weird break part-way through didn’t help but even if the episodes had been aired consecutively I don’t know if it would have made much of a difference. For me, the weakest part of the show was how loosely the narrative plodded along at points and how little time was spent really exploring some of the characters, like Moobaek or Taealha. So when I think of Arthdal, I won’t think of the mythology or the characters, I’ll always think of what could have been.

tccolb

Secret Boutique: I don’t usually watch this genre, but I was curious enough to check out the first episode. As expected, most of the cast were on top form in terms of acting. However, I must admit I was a little disappointed by Park Hee-bon. I normally really like her, but she didn’t seem to quite fit the role – I wanted to see more confidence and poise. Although, maybe it’s something that improves in later episodes. The standout for me so far is Kim Jae-young, which is something missvictrix also talks about in her review. He has this quiet but strong presence in this role that I really like.

Be Melodramatic: I love this show so much. I can’t remember the last time that I watched a drama in which I genuinely liked all the characters to this degree. Well, maybe except Gong Myung’s ex (?). Although it, unfortunately, is a realistic struggle that happens in many long-term relationships, I can’t help but scream at the screen whenever she shows up. I say this even though I really also like that all the relationship problems are so true to life. There’s no birth secrets or trucks of doom or other high drama external factors that are forcing the couples apart. Instead, they deal with relatable issues and the show does a good job in showing their complexities while also incorporating humor into the situations. I can’t wait to see the finale, but I’m also sad that the show is ending already.

Tags: , , ,

You may not have noticed that I took a hiatus but I took a hiatus. For two whole months even. But now I’m back and have picked up an airing drama and am watching an old one or two as well.

Graceful Family: What happens if you take a standard old-school makjang and put an awesome, badass female lead and an adorable and delightful beta male in it? CRACK. Pure, unadulterated cracky goodness. And with an OST that embodies makjang in musical form, it’s no surprise half of DB is now addicted.

Is it perfect? No. Is it, possibly, a little too sexist? Yes. But we don’t even really care.

Oh and yeah, we’re SHIPPPPPINNNNNG!!

We’re all on the ship, writers of Graceful Fish Cult. SET SAIL ALREADY.

Class of Lies: I do kind of wish I’d watched this while it was live airing. I could have gotten sucked into all the speculation and analysis and been blazingly, spectacularly wrong in real time. However, I had to go to the Arctic instead. Bummer?

Anyway, I finally got around to watching this and thought it was a good, solid crime thriller. It’s kind of a shame it aired in the same year as SKY Castle. Any brutal analysis of education corruption and the tyranny of an elite above the law is going to be compared to that brilliant and almost-perfect piece of satire - and come up short.

Flower Boy Next Door: I have now finished the Flower Boy series and can rank them in level of ‘Meh’: Shut up Flower Boy Band, Flower Boy Next Door and then the unwatchable Flower boy Ramen Shop.

Dream High (because Netflix made me, although I’m only a few episodes in): Suzy should make a Taecyeon/KSH sandwich. That’s all I got.

I have been appointed Official Shitposter for Salted Caramel Ji Chang Wook, the new romcom from the writer of Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. I haven’t yet decided the form of these shitposts but will have to come up with something soon since the first episode airs tomorrow.

Confession: I love Dream High so much, lol.

I also didn't know the writer who wrote Stong Woman Do Bong Soon wrote Melting Me Softly, the problematic issues I had with that drama, hmmmm, but Wooka.

You have one more Flower Boy Series, they changed it to Flower Crew though, maybe that is distinction enough for you though, lol.

Also Welcome Back!!!

Oh, do I have one more Flower Boy? I thought there were only three?
*runs off after final Flower Boy Series*
*asks self why*

One thing I will say for Dream High, the director really got the best performances from these actors. I think it's the best I've seen from all of them.

The fourth Flower Boy series is Dating Agency Cyrano aka Flower Boy Dating Agency.

Oh, thanks. What is it like?

Dating Agency wasn't beloved I don't believe, but I liked some aspects of it. Age gap was too big and there wasn't a lot of chemistry between the leads, but the little group of matchmakers was cute and the lead guy was pretty good. ALso lots of great cameos. But it's def. not my favorite of the series. I'd put it on the level of Flower Boy Ramyun Shop, which I thought had many similar flaws and draws.

Gong Yoo made a cameo appearance, so that's something. Dating Agency Cyrano is a procedural drama with a client of the week. Like you, I hated Flower Boy Ramyun Shop and forced myself to finish it, but I loved Shut Up: Flower Boy Band and enjoyed Flower Boy Next Door and Dating Agency Cyrano.

I will always remember Dream High.....it was in the beginning of my kdrama obsession (I was doing a deep dive on Bae Yoon joon after Winter Sonata) and DH is responsible for bringing me over to Dramabeans because I could NOT make any sense of that ending!!!!

It is a catchy upbeat series, and I love the early Kim Soo-hyun

I've always said that KSH can't act but has amazing presence. I'm seriously reconsidering that opinion. I've never seen him like he is in this show. But then Taecyeon is great in this too.

I don't think Flower Crew is done by Flower Boys Series team but it could've been plausible. Hwarang is actually done by them so I consider it as an unofficial installment of Flower Boys Series.

If it's the Joseon Marriage Agency drama then I'm not really interested. I'm just not a huge fan of sageuks.

It's that one. I don't recommend it anyway (neither Hwarang) so you miss nothing.

It is Joseon Marriage Agency, I think you would hate it. I watch it and kind of love it, but you might think it's trash.

I guess it depends if it's trash or TRASH
@kafiyah-bello

It's more trash than TRASH. It has every cliche under the sun. A love triangle, random traumas, chaebol son, poor girl (she isn't completely stupid), he likes her first, and it is completely absurd.

You found SUFBB meh? Howwww

It also made me question her but she did write this so we’re still friends

I thought Shut Up Flower Boy Band was a great coming of age drama (and that Lee Min Ki really rocked the eyeliner).

When you're trolling without meaning to troll.
As @mindy said, I did write that DB piece.
It kind of says it in there. The script is a pretty generic 'coming of age high school musical'. But then the whole LMK thing and the first two eps just elevate it above that. If you removed that brilliance, I would have found the whole thing 'meh'. But that brilliance is still in there.

I still have to watch all of the Flower Boy shows.

Hmmm.... What where you doing at Arctic? I think I missed your posts if you ever explained....

I just went for fun.

Puffins too!

PUFFINS

good crack or bad crack....

also i wondered where you were at. hopefully the hiatus was wonderful...hope you rtrip was good.

sky castle is a fuckin' masterpiece and i'm so glad you said 'almost perfect piece of satire' because absolutely. i could talk about it all day.

me tryna not be an outright jcw hater but i....will look out for ur posts :)

Good crack. Great crack.

But like a lot of Korean shows it walks a fine line between critiquing misogynism and having misogynism so baked in it can't help it.

I am trying to watch Graceful Family but I am having a really hard time with the stupidest thing - the lead female's nose. She's had some drastic plastic surgery, to make her nose that blade-thin and her nostrils so perfectly round. I can't seem to notice the rest of her face. Can she act?

Ironically she was the female lead of a drama about plastic surgery, & I thought it wa perfect because she looks like she had major work done.
She has been acting well in this drama, but before this her acting was trash.

I didn't even notice her nose. She isn't going to win any awards for her acting but she's really enjoyable in this.

And if you haven't already, go to my fan wall for a very important public service announcement about the sad condition that is Skinship Deprivation Syndrome (SDS)

That is a MUST read for us beanies!

JAPAN

WHEATHERING WITH YOU - Yup watched. spent money. Quality media demands respect.
Makoto Shinkai likes to play with audience. Tries to make you emotional to generate profit. Visuals that amaze you. Story you connect to. Still you feel the BUT.

AND, LIVE - Wait for 2 hour tv movie with added scenes. Hope we get raw and Translation

In Love With Eyes of an Ugly Girl - 4/10 Well, everyone has their own standard of beauty. I just don't know from what angle she's ugly. Chubby or Fat for sure but ugly? below avg. shoujo story. dropped

Waiting for 4-Punkan no Marigold - Brother love for sister. ahem and troupe of Illness. Sota Fukushi in so time for more tears.
Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan - I'm expecting Sister-in-laws living together manga gets live-action too.

Ore no Hanashi wa Nagai - You and I on the G-String

Neet Bro-Sis as well as Shopaholic Bro-sis demands live-action too. So many good Slice-of-Life Choices and i'm sure they will be able to get the cost easily.

This Japanese Season is so good.

KOREAN -

YOO NA'S STREET - 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 - 7.5 out of 10

Started in 2016. Watched 1st 15 episodes in 3 days. Little bit of side characters scenes skip. Then Next 17 episodes in 2 weeks.
2017 - 3 episodes
2018 - 2 episodes.
2019 - 37th Episode start pause start .
2019 September - 37 to 50 within 10 days.

@mary - Because i assume she was involved with proofreading of this show. Once talked about it here.

Such a nice, slow real life show. I dislike side characters of K+CN dramas because most of the time they are fillers. And at times they overtake the main story and main characters but here Side characters actually make the story more realistic.

Curly hair with old wife, Previous street thugs to an restaurant owners. Pickpocket to adulterers aka mistress. Unskilled uncle to growing teenager.

People complained about lack of stealing and i agree with you. they way chit0chat characters put Yoo Na on pedestal and yet we see not much of action. Your Main character calls it Ar and takes pride in it and nowhere we see the display of this art.

Yoo Na's struggle in various episodes and Chang Man the jack of all trades actually frustrate you. Chang Man and Yoo Na annoy you several times but then you reminded that its Chang Man's annoyance that brings Yoo Na out of those emotional and actionable troubles.

Last 5 Episodes are sweet from Romance perspective and at the same time you see the reality of life through Elder.
At one place you see Young Love - You Blood - Sun rise
at other place you get - Sun setting - the catch is Elder has now such a big family that cares about him and loves him unlike all those other elders in resting home.

Beautiful Show - I admit i have skipped many scenes of side characters but I don't feel any character in the show is Unnecessary. of course the show takes such an easy option and such a +ve and nice outcome at end but it goes with the theme of the show that you can move on, you can become better, a part of society.

Episode 50 is so life - simple and uneventful turned to eventful withing minutes.

Korean -

Miss Lee - 6.5/10 - Same old story. Still gonna try 2nd week.
Human Rights - 7/10 - almost dropped. It is much more episodic than i had expected. Better create a show where you tell stories of real life ppl and real events. Don't waste time real life stories into fiction. I was right
about this show's HR - major task is just to report. Rest of work is taken by other agencies.

Wagebond - before the show started - Trailers gave away the quality of content. As said last week this show will become bad to worse and it just took 3rd episode to hit a new low. 10% gonna do lot harm to Heroines. Writer completely hammered all the female characters.
Such a disgrace this mindless trash is. This kind of media directly mocks, insults audience and their IQ and that's why audience has to question. MGT gonna say look at ratings as they are only concerned with profits and act irresponsibly but audience share a big part of blame to for not questioning and eating whatever is put on plate.

Chinese + thai

ARTH + Melo - 6.5/10 + 7/10 - I enjoyed 24 hours of Arth. And i didn't skip any scene at all. I'm the minority here and i'll play the role of Minority by going with Arth and against Melo.
Arth;s problem lies with its creator and its inception - Scriptwriter. Then 99% of kdrama SR write trash to get paid.
And Arth's SR is no way different from them. he inhabits same traits the other Kdrama SR do. So if you have intention to raise finger at him/her then leave your hypocrisy alone and show courage to point fingers at all other dramas too.

Among Trash even an average product gonna shine brightly. That's what Melo the Mediocre product is. Its good because everyone else is below avg. scrap. Its manufactured identities are at best social apps group chit-chat. full of 1liners, quirky dialogues having no substance. SR isn't competent but looks like one because he/she showed character to insult his/her own brotherhood.
Self-Insert isn't something new, unique, original or refreshing medium of communication. Self-inserts usually are hacks who do better in copy-paste jobs. Their self-depreciation in real is self-appreciation. A way to boost their own esteem. Their frustration comes out as an outburst against everyone in their society. In all Melo is just big wall of Rant of a SR who gave maniacal personalities to his/her characters to look different from her own brotherhood.

TV Media is a business - Aim is to generate Profit. It gives livelihood to 1000s of people. Audience is Customer. Entertainment is a face mask. Arth SR has/had no idea bout Season 2. heck, he.she was thoroughly confused about her main story itself. I find S1 having quite an fitting end shown via the animation. Like those 18 episodes left audience to accept, acknowledge and build their theories, the last outcome allowed audience to come up with their own interesting ideas build through their own imagination.

S2 if any will be just a stamp on all that imagination and ofcourse demands funds. It affect brand and goodwill of many media companies but at last you have to take decision based on data at your hand. You just can't keep on burning money on a half baked product.

Melo - SR likes to mock editor and acts smart but atleast ive seen all this PR tactic more than 15 times in various manga and Light Novels.. So it wasn't surprising or even refreshing for me. Writer claim to make fun of troupes and then he/she hypocritically uses the same troupes form relationships.

This writer would do better job in Sitcoms. She/He has the potential but she also gets carried away quite easily.

I agree with you on the ugly girl drama. it was very disconnected and seriously it made me laugh the fact that they called her ugly only cause she's fat. They really are dumb.
As for the rest I'm waiting to see what new dramas we'll get this season 😅

Flower Crew: Dropped at episode 3. I just don't feel the story. I can't get attached to the characters, except Kim Soo, and I don't have the time to add a new drama.

- Completed -

Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung: The finale was satisfying and the Crown Prince stayed good (will Park Ki Woong keep playing nice characters after that?). I just hoped more time was spent with some characters, as it felt like the show wanted to quickly go back to its lighter mood (which I loved btw!). The cast, the directing, the music and of course the writer did a good job with this sageuk!

When The Devil Calls Your Name: For me, this drama's strength was the music part. So, I was glad to see the duo at the end and how they keep making music after everything happened.

- Currently watching -

Graceful Family: Caught up. Mo Seok Hee ♥️♥️♥️ She's on fire~ She's on fire~ I love the opening scenes for each episode when they tell a character's "backstory". My favourite one is the actress's because that was too hilarious but at the same time, I felt sad for the eldest brother. He's the most decent sibling (the youngest son too) and I'm sure he can do more that he shows. About the second son's secret, something was off with the studio and wow! I didn't expect that! Nothing should shock me since the fish funeral but damn it, show!

The Great Show: I feel like every week a new obstacle blocks Wi Dae Han's way to politics. I don't want him to go to the "dark force" because the children will be so disappointed.

Melo Suits Me: ep 15. I'm making up my mind and telling myself it's time to let them go.

Natsuzora (Summer Sky): Week 13. Natsu's friend joined the theater troupe to pursue his dream. I thought Natsu would be supportive from the start but it looks like she thought first of his parents. There's nothing in both thinking differently but the outcome was good as he got to do what he wants.

Pegasus Market: Episode 2 not subbed yet.

The Running Mates: This week's episodes were less cheeky than last episodes. I still can't figure out what HRC's function is supposed to be in the show. Are they investigating only cases related to work? Since they dealed with sexual harassment in a workplace and work abuse (there's more to it but let's say that's the core problem).

Secret Boutique: It's the first time I'm still happy even if my ship sank very fast! The show fooled me but I'm glad as it means both of them have a legitimate reason to do what they're doing. I wonder how they will deal with this revelation next episode. Now about Hyun Ji, I like seeing her and Jenny forming a partnership. I can't wait to see them kicking butts!

Walk Into Your Memory: I knew they were going to separate them but I'm confident enough that the main couple will get back together. Come on, it's supposed to be a fun, silly and light show!

When The Camellia...

When The Camellia Blooms: Young Sik is bursting with his bumpkin charms once again this week! I get that Dong Baek finds him burdensome as she never had someone do everything he's been doing for her. He wears his heart on the sleeve and she can tell he's not lying. She clearly needs someone who will embrace her and her son wholeheartedly. That way, I think she can be proud of what she's been doing and how great of a mother she is!

I forgot Hell is Other People! Living in this gosiwon with these weird people isn't good for anyone's mental health. The dentist said he was one of them but isn't being around them that made him like in the latest episode. I even fear for the new resident's life.

I started watching WHEN CAMELLIA BLOOMS because I am a fan of Gong Hyo-jin – who plays Dong-baek. I have been very pleased with the character of Young-sik. You have hit the nail on the head with your description of him. When you hear people talk in a Kdrama about whether or not someone is sincere this is what they are talking about: Young-sik is sincere. In fact he sets the standard for what sincere should look like.

Sincerity is really the word to describe him. It's the best thing to show respect and care to someone.

I dropped Flower Crew during the first ep. I couldn't connect with anything and anyone...

I had doubts since the first episode but wanted to see more of Go Won Hee's character. Well, just like you, I can't connect with anyone or anything.

That's one advantage of Real Life pressure... dropping goes easier 😆😆

Haha that helps a lot!

I didn't like the first episode of flower crew so I watched Ep 2 at ⏩ instead. Didn't like it, dropped.

I gave episode 2 a chance just to see Go Won Hee's character but... errr... I can't bring myself to be interested in the story.

Same.

As for Graceful Family, I knew it wasn't a woman after she came out 5 mins later. The only thing that threw me off was the shoes on the table were too small, so I thought, that couldn't be it, but there it is.

You have good eyes! I'm not even sure if the shoes really fit him but real logic doesn't apply here.

I think that it's always the same woman who enters and leaves the apartment—she's Wan Joon's personal shopper.

I have also dropped Flower Crew at ep 3, what a mess and no actor is attractive there. Rookie Historian - yes, a very satisfying ending! Graceful Family is my new crush... But I cannot find anything else to watch now that Rookie Historian has ended... Which drama should I start? Any suggestion please?

If you're looking for a light show, maybe When The Camellia Blooms? There's a murder mystery but the overall atmosphere is heartwarming. Or Secret Boutique if you want an other like Graceful Family which takes itself more seriously?

What a great delightful show Rookie Historian was!!

Graceful Family : Yup, still watching it and glad more beanies are picking it up.
Just so much fun it would be a sin to not watch it :))

Great show: I hope we see some growth for male lead because I want to punch him way too often.

Camellia: One word. Kang Ha Neul

Waiting for Extraordinary You / who is picking this up in the US????
Waiting for My Country. Jang Hyuk!!
Want to start Untamed.
Tentative on Melting Me.

Yes, Kang Haneul 😍😍😍

And I'm waiting for Jang Dong Yoon in the Tale of Nokdu 🙂

Oh shoot!! Is that premiering this week too???
Adding it to my list :))

Monday... 😊😍

Great Show is driving me crazy. What does it really want to be? It's got this comedic music and a very sitcom vibe with exaggerated acting and lazy writing - all it needs is a laugh track - but then we are dealing with child abandonment and teen pregnancy and political corruption. This dissonance is just too much for me.

Vagabond: spy extravaganza? I don't know. I'm watching for Ki Tae Woong aka Royal Hotness aka SSR ☕😎.

I completed two dramas this week. Two more beans! 💪🏻💪🏻

1. ROOKIE HISTORIAN GOO HAE RYUNG: A cute rose-coloured jellybean with a juicy filling. A good snack for historians.

2. ARTHDAL CHRONICLES: A shrivelled twisted bean that grew with difficulty in the murky marshlands and was tossed into the desert and left to die.

If you have the guts to spend money their hire good writers.
Arth writer - for building the rough idea as well as copy-paste
W writer - for logical fantasy - which usually falls apart in later episodes.
Life Writer - to correct all he errors and merging the worlds created by above 2 writers using rational. He/she can control world fantasy of W writer.

It was so much of chaos that even Horse left the show midway and auditioned for other show, got selected and enjoying days in his own country.

@wishfultoki—I love your bean metaphors! Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryungwas a delicious snack for folks who like history. I love it when shows make me dig into history. Your posts were a treat too!

Glad you enjoyed my posts! I hadn’t felt the urge to do research in a while. It was fun. 😊

Since Rookie Historian ended this week I wanted to give my farewell to the drama. I started with little to no expectations but it ended up being one of my favorite dramas ever. This was essentially a contemporary drama set in saeguk but the fusion was done well. The modern values which I'm sure were misplaced in the era made it an alternate universe retelling of what could have been if female historians were allowed to exist at that time. The relationship between the female historians was endearing to watch and while I did wish their individual characters had been explored in more detail it didn't stop me from rooting for them. The romance was sweet and the gender reversed tropes not only made it more interesting but also covered up some of the gaps in acting. I came away from this series completely satisfied but at the same time am sad to say goodbye to it.

What a charming, thoughtful show. And surprisingly relevant for "these times."

I haven't felt this satisfied with a drama in a long time.

I checked Pegasus Market and I don't know... I somehow expected more fun? 😆 (Though it could be that the Beanies' comments put my expectations too high...). It is funny, no arguing here... but... I actually laugh more with Camellia's Yong Shik. Kang Haneul is soooo good here! I enjoy every second of his performance 😍 (And Yong Shik's earnestness, straightforwardness and good heart reminds me a lot of Carrot Ironfoundersson, the captain of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch 😀 ).

My favourite show still remains Be Melodramatic and Son Seok Ko is again stealing my heart... his character is so quirky 😀 And I love how he is able to get to Eun Jung.

Ankh-Morpork !

Woot. Another Terry Pratchett lover.!

Son Seok Ko as Director Yeller-Hugs-Are-Nice-And-Warm is the absolute definition of quirky. He seems like the type of person who's very careful about who he trusts but once he's committed, he goes all in.

SSK has a feline quality I find very appealing. I want to stroke his head and watch TV with him under a fleece blanket.

Agree with you.

Now, let me slip in under the other side of that fleece blanket next to that yummy catguy....

Ehmm, cough, cough... I think I would want to do something else under the blanket... 😈😆

Recently I'm "watching" dramas from fanwall and comments. I don't have enough time to waste, I'm quite happy as it is. But I checked briefly When The Camelia Blooms because I love the cast.

Actually I find some time to watch while making dishes or cooking I Live Alone, Begin Again 3 and 3 Meals a Day in Mountains. It's great to watch these shows without any stress possible to occur and learn something new as well.

I love Jackson's Wang new video so much, that I have to watch it at least once per day. 😂

I watched again The Peanut Butter Solutions and I loved it, it could be remade by Benicio Del Toro and it would be perfect. I found out that one of the writers is a czech director and I know now why it's so good and surreal. I remembered it only very briefly and when I found it I was one of the most happy people on earth.

Let Me Hear Your Song It's finaly over! Ten episodes would have been better because the plot was pretty thin.

Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency I'm happy to see Kim Min Jae in a main role but this sageuk is too modern. I like light and fluffy sageuk but it must remain a sageuk.

When the Camellia Blooms It's very intriguing mixing investigation, creepy murderer and rom-com.

Rookie Historian Gu Hae-ryung It's sad they felt obliged to add a birth secret in the story. The plot about female historians was very good and office sageuk would have been perfect for me. The all plot with Prince Dowon was useless, like the Prince...

Secret Boutique I like it! The villain is a little bit too a caricature. But the actors are great.

Vagabond The action is good, I have some doubts about the plot.

Be Melodramatic I love this drama!!! The dialogues are so interesting! The ASMR scene was so funny.

Arthdal Chronicles It's not over... and I don't think it's a good thing...

Omg, I totally feel the same way about Flower Crew and that's why I dropped it. They were asking for way too much suspension of belief for me.

Wagebond has 70s filmsy story with no plot. Mindless entertainment.

Yes to “office sageuk”! The scenes with the historians were my favourite parts too 😄

Incidentally, I thought I recognised Officer Yang from somewhere and looked him up. It turns out he played the role of Ilchung, the monk in the Amogae Avengers of REBEL: THIEF WHO STOLE THE PEOPLE. He completely changed his voice in ROOKIE HISTORIAN, making it higher pitched and with some kind of accent. The actor (Heo Jung-Do) has great comedic chops. I hated him at first and loved him by the end. 😅

Special shout out to Officer Min played by Lee Ji Hoon. He is so good in sageuks. ❤️ The female historians were good, funny but not unprofessional.

Lee Ji Hoon played a king in The Mirror of The Witch if you haven't seen it. It's a small role but impactful.

Wow! That’s amazing. I totally didn’t pick that.

Melo Suits Me will end tonight and I honestly don't know what to feel after I've watched the finale episode. For the past two months, I've spent my weekend morning watching this gem and I wouldn't know what to do after this show finishes its run.

Eun-jung's road to healing was rough, but it was wonderful to see her get through her pain and loss with the help of her supportive friends and brother and she now have child-loving Son Seok-goo in her life as an icing on top.

I expected the show to have a love triangle between Jin-joo, Beom-soo, and Hwan-dong but thank God show decided not to go that way. But what we've got in this drama was the amusing love triangle between Writer Jung, EP Sung, and CEO So. I don't know who Writer Jung will choose at this point but I am rooting for her and EP Sung. HAHA

Melo's PPL game is also strong since they make use of the fact that the show is technically a workplace drama that deals with how dramas are actually made and the people behind it. The massage chair PPL from episode 14 was brilliant: they just made a scene without any sense because PPLs have usually no context at all they're just needed. When it comes to being creative, it will be really hard to top this show from Day 1.

Rookie Historian: A satisfying ending to a satisfying show. 11/10 for allowing our characters, especially our leads, to do their thing, with Hae-ryung being the awesome historian that she is and Rim being a travel blogger. Bonus: Mommy Woo-woo gets to be a historian again and King Bearded Park Ki-woong.

Let Me Hear Your Song: If being addicted to noble idiocy is a thing then nothing will top this show's nonsense last minute noble idiocy for NOTHING. This show was really good at the creepy department but then decided to drop that and make everyone dumb. YWJ, I love you but please pick better projects after this.

Flower Crew: I'm just watching for the leads. Thank God, the dizzy editing and ugly camera angles are gone by episode 3.

When The Camellia Blooms: Cute Kang Ha-neul and Pil-gu and mysterious serial killer. This show weirdly works for me.

Pegasus Market: Weird first episode but loved it to bits.

I would describe PEGASUS MARKET as wacky but with some weird moments (seriously- a car wax which grows hair on your car is a smash hit? Not to mention that it is biologically impossible?) . To which I say- accept the weird as part of the charm. This looks to be a seriously funny comedy.

It is seriously funny so far. Haven't seen episode 2 but this just too charming not to watch!

Your post gave me hope for Flower Crew. I haven't seen any of it yet, but must for Kim Min Jae. What will we do without Melo to look forward to?

I'm not sure if I'll go for My Country and drop Flower Crew for my sageuk drama fill (since I am not really invested in anything there except Soo). Vagabond isn't fulfilling my weekends and I'm just watching it for SSR and LSG.

Or maybe a rewatch of Age of Youth or anything slice-of-life. Ugh. I can imagine my weekends being empty next week :(

Graceful Family: Binged the newest fish cult show and I am not disappointed. A chaotic good female lead? Check! A cute, smart, and kind beta male lead? Check! Addictive family drama? Check! Fun plot and characters? Check! This show isn't the most perfect show since we've got Ms. Han, who is the most mysogynistic person in the whole show albeit being a woman herself, but our female lead, Seok-hee, with her smart brain and chaotic personality, is here to find justice and be the most amazing person in this drama.

Just watch this show NOW and you won't regret this.

Ma'am, yes, ma'am! (Saluting.) I keep hearing good things about this show, and your comment tipped the balance. I guess I'll have to check it out.

Your advantage is that you have more episodes to binge!

This show is much more fun to binge than to live watch!

@lindag
The first 6 episodes are super fun...but once it magically installs our no-experience lawyer into the inner circle of the nefarious high-tech evil organisation (because that's what our plucky duo needs) the drama becomes fast forward junk territory.

There were so many more interesting ways to play this and still keep all the spunky characters and antics. Instead it went the lazy route and for me the show never recovers. Because when ever I hear about how super evil lawyers got to be all powerful it's always because they were naive, lazy and trusting.

You should check it out and don't take the makjang and logic seriously! Warning: the chemistry of the OTP is overflowing and piping HOT!

I will do that

Yes, you really should! Hehe! So glad that so many people are discovering this makjangtastic show!

I remember I'm also watching Vagabond for SSR but his character is just... sad. I hope he gets to be happy by the end of this show.

I just realized that I'm watching so many dramas...

I'm sad his character is sad. Then I remember this was filmed before TLE and Perfume. Maybe the sadness was intentional? Hahahahaha 🤣

Did you see the 2 episodes of Master in the House / All the Butlers with SSK?! They learned how to dance and gave a performance at the end. Hilarious. I liked SSK before - I'd seen him in Liar's Game, TLE, OTW to Airport and Perfume, but I fell for him when I saw him on Butlers. I didn't know he was so funny and affable! Episodes 85 and 86.
Also, I didn't know he could sing! Love him.

Katak saw that and I watched the clips! Hehe! But thanks for sharing the links so people who are curious about SSR can watch him!

Welcome to the fandom! Hahaha. I've watched the episode~ thank you for sharing the clip for others who haven't~ fyi he's a musical actor. He does musicals before dramas hehehe ☺️

They should've aired this before TLE but I probably wouldn't watch this if that happened. At least he looked like he was having the time of his life in TLE and Perfume HAHA

Same2. TLE changed me 🤣🤣

He did look like he had the time of his life in TLE and Perfume. It's still early maybe Ki Tae Woong is fun too underneath his rigid exterior 😆. From the BTS pics, the VB team seems close and had a jolly good time filming.

Imo..He has good script planning, he was a villain in Return, supposedly good guy in Vagabond but got delayed and a villain again in TLE. Perfume was somewhat a surprise short term project. Hahahahaha.

Why is he sad? Why is he always sad?

Maybe he needs his instant coffee. His character surprisingly does not have intentions of murdering someone in this one so that's why he's sad, probably.

Yes he needs coffee and maybe a bit of perfume kekeke. Ki Tae Woong has no murderous intent yet though his entrance was super villain worthy. Hahaha

I totally agree with your summary and I haven't watched episode 16, the massage chair PPL took me all the way out. lmao

I just watched episode 16 and I have mixed feelings. CAN WE GET A SECOND SEASON FOR THIS WONDERFUL SHOW? The last episode is just this show mirroring and speaking for itself. You'll love it! Hehe

Finished it an hour ago, ahhhhh I miss it so. Just perfection in a TV show!!!

Yes! It is perfect! I want more, of course, but it is perfect as it is.

Melo gets all my beans for this year. For creativity, characters, relatability and dialogues (www had good dialogues too but this certainly has better), no show of this year beats it yet.

Well-deserved beans. I'm going to give ALL of the Beans I gained from the bad shows I've finished this year to Melo. Such a creative show filled with love and heart.

Mother of Mine: (53-54)

Many of the shows I have been watching are at the end of their run and this was one of them. It wasn’t the best nor the worst weekender. I don’t watch these family shows very often. I had once read Javabeans saying there is some comfort in the familiarity of them. I hadn’t understood her then but somehow when this show started I was in the mood for something low key and this fit the bill. The romance wasn’t endlessly frustrating nor passionate and exciting but overall fulfilling. There weren’t many annoying characters and typical of weekend fare most of them were not so annoying by the end of the show. The pacing wasn't bad with a number of unexpected early reveals so it never got repetitive or boring.

I did like some things about the ending: For example Tae Joo’s dad was not completely forgiven and was not allowed to keep his place nor treat people as he used to (cause they won’t take it anymore). I found it interesting that Ji Sook was repeating history by once again raising a son that wasn’t hers by birth. I had worried about poor Tae Ho who had a very small role but was always a sweet and loving child. I wouldn’t have liked him to be raised by that witch but I did like the fact that Ji Sook whose daughter was separated from her completely did not do the same and allowed Tae Ho to see his mother and uncle.

I really didn’t care about the other two sisters’ story much. I was annoyed by Sun Ja’s terminal illness and but they handled the aftermath quite well.

Well done Hong Jong Hyun. May you return with a miniseries before your military service.

Arthdal Chronicles: (17-18)
I am so disappointed by Arthdal at this point that I had no desire to read the recaps nor the comments for the final week’s episodes. I understand the desire to extend something that is successful but usually those kinds of stories still have some sort of end planned first. I find it disingenuous to say this drama is 18 episodes and then leave everything hanging without a resolution and announce there will be another season. This is deceiving the viewers. I understand all the financial reasons for it (the sunk costs of the expensive set that’s already built etc.) but announce your plan honestly from the beginning and let the viewer decide if they will watch or not. Whether this is Netflix’s fault or a new trend in Kdramaland I am really annoyed. I stopped watching American, British, Turkish dramas because of the multi season format and the uncertainty that there will ever be a conclusion to the stories but even if there is it is so far into the future that by that time the characters aren’t themselves anymore and the plot drags and things turn makjang….

So, what a disappointment....

I think we should be throwing a party, because it's over. Even if there's another season, it's over for many of us.

Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung (19-20)
This was my third finale of the week. That was a very modern ending! Rim and Hye Ryung “practically living together” but yet unmarried! Princess not married to the Crown Prince anymore!

As unlikely as the ending for many characters were I didn’t mind as the premise of a female historian was a fantasy to begin with. So I was glad things ended exactly as I wanted for most characters. Jin and the crown princess found a way out of their unwanted marriage which made neither of them happy without any beheadings. Rim left the throne to Jin who is showing himself worthy of his uncle and he himself is traveling the country to make up for his years in captivity. And he still writes as well (not as successful in travelogues as romances though)! What would have been better would be if Jin gave the running of Saerewon (or whatever he was called ) to Rim as he is scholarly inclined.

I think there was at least one beheading but it happened off screen? Some characters were shown in mourning garb...
Overall it was an unlikely ending for a sageuk but in line with the light mood of the drama. I think the story was a utopia of 19th century Joseon, so it ended with a bright promise for the future.

Yes, Counciller Min was beheaded. Sorry, I was continuing my train of thought from last week so I didn't explain well. I meant Jin's marriage was ended without his wife getting killed along with his father in law.

Rim's cheesy set up in the bedroom had me roaring with laughter. NOBODY got married at the end. How amazing is that?!

That scene caught me by surprise. It was cheesy and a cute at the same time. I had to pause it to have a chuckle.

yes I am totally for the "practically living together" ending! So modern, carefree... my style of living. Happy.

I had finished my oldie Sandglass last week and @tanizakibadwolf asked for some spoilers, they are on my wall for anyone interested. I forgot to write last week after finishing it that two oldies I am looking for are Jealousy (1992) & Propose (1997). MBC Classics youtube channel has the former with no subs. If anyone has a link with subs please share!

Wonderful Life (1-12)
My current oldie is a contract marriage romcom from 2005 starring Kim Jae Won who isn’t a favorite of mine and Eugene who I find very pretty but haven’t seen in anything else. At the center of the story is a sort of love square. Male lead Han Seung Wan, a pilot in training, goes to Singapore to surprise his girlfriend (and second lead) Lee Chae Yeong on her birthday. His girlfriend is two timing him with a rich guy there, Min Do Hyun. Female lead Jung Se Jin, a diplomat wannabe, also goes to Singapore to say farewell to her first love who had died there some time ago. The leads meet on the way with some unfortunate incidents and are annoyed with each other. Their passports get mixed up at the airport and Se Jin ends up meeting with the second leads in pursuit of her passport Seung Wan has. Seung Wan and Se Jin bond when he helps her in her farewell and she tries to shield him from the knowledge of his girlfriend’s two timing. He ends up learning anyway and they get drunk only to wake up in bed naked together. She wants to talk it through but he runs away.

Back to Korea - we need to bring all the players together again: Do Hyun turns out to be Seung Wan’s sunbae at school, keeps running into Se Jin at odd places and starts falling for her. Do Hyun sees through Chae Yoon and rejects her so she decides to stick to Seung Wan and somehow convinces him that she wasn’t two timing so they continue dating so when Chae Yoon discovers she is pregnant she decides not to tell him. One year later when the parents of both leads (and Seung Wan) learn about the baby they end up marrying with a contract to divorce in 5 years. They move into the house Seung Wan’s parents provide. Do Hyun also moves together with a friend who lives in the same complex.

I like the pacing of the show. Nothing is hurried so there is plenty of story to tell. The initial meeting of the characters, the discovery of the pregnancy, the wedding etc. take several episodes. There are many more developments I watched but just wanted to give a general synopsis of the plot here.

The thing I dislike is an unfortunate feature of the romcoms of this era: Scheming two-timing second female lead who is determined to go after a married man arguing that he was stolen from her when she is the actual two timer and the stupid male lead who keeps getting deceived by her and keeps blaming the female lead. I have no patience for stupid and rude male leads. Chae Yeong’s scheming reminds me of the second female lead of Delightful Girl Chan Yeong. I really like Do Hyun’s second male lead who...

... provides a very nice contrast to Chae Yeong in being content to watch the person he loves be happy and not scheme to get her.

Heh. The relentless, old-school scheming second FL are a thing to behold. Watching old dramas is like opening a time capsule filled with a lot of crazy.

You can say that again, @tsutsuloo!

"The relentless, old-school scheming second FL are a thing to behold. Watching old dramas is like opening a time capsule filled with a lot of crazy."

And it's 200-proof crazy at that!

When I watched SASSY GIRL CHUN-HYANG (2005) some months back, I couldn't get over the obnoxious 2nd FL, who wouldn't butt out even when the mother of her intended victim (Jae Hee) told her to shove off. She looked vaguely familiar. Omo! Park Si-eun -- who played the sadly dignified Lady Hae in MOON LOVERS: SCARRED HEART RYEO -- a character 180 degrees removed from that earlier role. (That's half the fun of watching vintage dramas -- seeing current favorites early in their careers.)

Even Jang Na-ra as the female lead in MY LOVE PATZZI (2002) carried on almost like the 2nd FL, she was so annoying. The 2nd FL was utterly obnoxious, and spent so much time running around baiting the irascible Patzzi that I wondered how she ever actually got any work done. And she was so sanctimonious about it. Grrrr. Such a conniving buttinski.

As much as I loved how cracktastic Shining inheritance was, I couldn't stand how the second female lead was simultaneously "I have no life without you" and "I will destroy your entire world, then you'll have to love me".

The Second female lead in Wonderful Life isn't as bad as Delightful Girl thankfully and I know to expect such a characterization when I watch dramas from that era (though it still annoys me). What bothers me so much more though is the male lead in dramas. They are perfect examplars for love is blind, they see their first loves through rose colored glasses and accept their word over the heroine's all the time. Not only that but they keep rebuking the heroine for inflicting pain on their love. This absolutely drives me nuts because first they come across as stupid for not seeing through the scheming exes as well as the sincerity of the heroines. They are also very rude to the heroine (another hallmark of old school dramas). So rather than the second lead, the behavior of the male lead who is supposed to be the hero of the story make it impossible for me to root for them.

@leetennant Omo, that's on my to watch list as well, another one to look forward to. Sigh.

Where did you find Sandglass?! A friend’s been trying to get me to watch it but I can’t find it!

I don't watch streaming side. I downloaded it from a members only website. The name of the site is on my fan wall.

Vagabond (2-3)
Hmmm, I was meh about this show after the second episode. I decided to continue for a while to see if it draws me in but it is not fun enough for me to suspend all logic yet!

I am less enthused in some ways after watching the second episode. On one hand I did like the action scenes of the two leads together because they were hilarious. On the her hand I really disliked the scenes of scheming and plotting politics within NIS and between the business people and politicians. I was sooo bored. So I hope coming episodes there is much more of the former and much much less of the latter. Also Abyss levels of stupidity continues...

Sorry I meant to say "I am less enthused in some ways after watching the third episode".

Trust me, ep 3 is worse. Dropped.

ooops sorry, too fast in reply, didn't even read your correction. yes ep 3 worse and shown in rating. My prediction was right, less action, lower ratings. Both leads cannot act, female lot worse than male. And the "elderly kiss", yuck.

I actually think it wasn't the less action that did it. What I meant above was that the banter of the leads during the action scenes was fun, you don't necessarily need action for that. If you can replicate that in non action scenes you hit jackpot. Constant action would have bored me as well. I actually fast forward most of the action scenes.

The elderly angle of the kiss didn't bother me either. The fact I found unacceptable was that he was shown to be this upright incorruptable man at first. But then he got corrupted so easily and to make the matters worse he sunk so low as to accept that seduction. Really, I cannot suspend my disbelief to this point. Either he wasn't that upright to begin with or he wouldn't have done any of the things he did. Plot holes is one thing to swallow, but inconsistent characters is a whole other level of unacceptable to me.

Regarding what was boring: rather than lack of something (i.e.action) what that was replaced with made it boring to me: very old fashioned political maneuvering that is neither clever nor interesting or enjoyable to watch.

Welcome 2 Life: The ending was a nice conclusion to a rather unremarkable show. I'm just glad Bo Na will be born in the "real" world.

Flower Crew Joseon Marriage Agency: Usually I would dislike this drama. It is generic old school rom com. I don't care I love it, lol. I guess sometimes I just need a cliche ridden show where the conclusion is obvious.

The Great Show: This continues to be heartfelt and thoughtful. The kids were shown less in these pass two episodes though. It is a nice and pleasant show.

Graceful Family: I love this show so much. @leetennant gives a perfect description of the show. So I'll leave that to her.

When the Camellia Blooms: Dropped, I just couldn't get into it. The mumbling I think annoyed me the most.

Secret Boutique: All the players are assembled. Everyone knows their position. One of the secrets is out, I'm here for the revenge fights to begin in earnest. Here we go, also I suspect that the mother is alive somewhere. The Intelligence chief may clean up murders but is probably not one.

Vagabond: This is a 1980's early 1990's Steven Segal movie. I like it. It is just pure fun, the good guys v. the bad guys. Shallow plot and thin premise, but who cares. It should be a fun ride.

Be Melodramatic: DON'T LEAVE MEEEEEE 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 , stay even if the writer has to write more than 600 pages. The nod to a moment at 18 made my heart so happy. The PPL from last week made me laugh so hard. I'm going to miss this show so so much.

Hell is Other People: Dropped, it just wasn't for me.

Pegasus Market: Look forward to episode 2

Melting Me softly: Wooka is BACK, will watch for him, praying this is not another K2, shudder.

Yes to everything melo 😭😭

Normally, I'm relieved when kdramas end, even if I loved them. With Be Melodramatic ending today, I feel a tinge of melancholy for the first time.

Secret Boutique: I agree Tae Sung isn't a murderer. So, how did the mother survive and where is she? Is it me or is there something going on between him and Ye Nam?

Nope. There's definitely something going on between the two. The show even made it explicit in one scene, I guess you may have missed it.

Thanks for confirming. I think I missed the scene but their interactions speak for themselves.

@kafiyah-bello—I fully agree with your summary of Welcome 2 Life. By the end, I was leaning hard on the FF button. (I've also discovered that I really can only do one serial killer-themed show a year. I'm tapped out.) For all its faults, the ending was sweet. I did break into a huge smile as Jae Sang interpreted Shi On's North Star conception dreams to mean Bo Na was coming. That was perfect.

Was the doubling of the family in the last scene a view into the alternative universe? I mean, did Shi On survive the hammer attack?

Shi On may have survived because Jae Song survived his attack and the worlds are parallel. So maybe she survived. Let's hope little Bo Na wasn't left parentless.

gadis is still hopelessly lost in The Untamed world. That's all.

*back to watching Xiao Zhan and Wang YiBo on Happy Camp*
*secretly adding Xiao Zhan's upcoming dramas to my to-watch-list*

I would have tried to summon you back in real life @gadis form if I wasn't myself just as lost wandering in the land of the Mo Dao!!

*speaks in tongue in all things WangXian as a living Untamed corpse

Flower crew- i am surprised at how much I like the show and the male lead (how come I have never seen Kim min Jae before and never listened to his voice?!)
Secret Boutique- Kim sun ah is fabulous and Kim Jae young is one of the most handsome actors in Korea (still waiting for Eun jo's Room to be subtitled!!)

Flower Crew: My least favourite of the previews, despite how much respect I have for Gong Seung-yeon's makeup artist - she doesn't look like she's wearing any!

Secret Boutique: I just want to gobble this show up, omnomnom~

Camellia: Just stunning! Frequently surprised by the extent to which Yong-shik is written, he's just the most compelling character. Also, I love Oh Jung-se and Kim Sun-young, so basically this show gets a 10/10 for casting.

Be Melodramatic: How will I live when this is over? No seriously! I only get through the week because I know this gem comes at the end of it!

Cries for Be Melo 😢
Seriously it's like a treat for completing the week.

I generally look forward to Fridays, but Be Melodramatic put me in the position of white knuckling it through Friday mornings.😂

Completed:
Rookie Historian Goo Haeryung: And so it ends! I already wrote in-depth about my thoughts re: the finale on my fanwall, so I guess the only think I really have left to say (one more time) is that I'm going to miss this show. I love fusion sageuks and this was such a lovely one. I'll miss seeing our characters, and I'll miss discussing this one with everyone here. Thank you Rookie Historian, for reminding us to believe in ourselves no matter what! I hope the upcoming Tale of Nokdu is just as fun!

Dropped:
Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency: Nah, I just couldn't do it. Can we get a spin-off for Seo Jihoon's Lee Soo though? I'd happily watch that.

Ongoing:
Where the Camellia Blooms: Kang Haneul as wacky country bumpkin Yongsik is just the best thing. What a goofball. I'm finding the mystery intriguing rather than overbearing (thankfully), and I'm invested to see what happens. Looking forward to next week's episodes!

Miss Lee: Interest piqued. I think Hyeri suits roles like this well. Not 100% sold yet, but I haven't watched episode 2 yet so I can't say for sure yet.

I actually had a really busy week at school this week, so I haven't had the time to watch everything yet.

To watch:
-Be Melodramatic
-Pegasus Market
-Melting Me Softly tomorrow!

Just read your thoughts on your fan page and fully agree.

It's really extraordinary that all the women are still free and working by the series end. Even the Crown Princess is free from a loveless marriage and finishing her three year mourning period dressed like an ear of corn.

How am I going to live without Be melodramatic in my life?

If you find out, let me know! I'm having the same struggle.

Struggling with this too. And when will a drama breathe life in us again?

We may have to pass the time with duds before another gem comes along.

Vagabond: 8.0: Who cares about acting? Story, action, etc are going well. Liked the way the FL investigated sounds. Moderately good eye-candy. BTW, if people are willing to forgive plot holes and inaccuracies (including literal inaccurate shooting) here because it's just supposed to be mindless action/entertainment, then I insist on giving Hotel Del Luna the same slack because it was good mindless IU-fashion-show/entertainment.

Arthdal Carrot Chronicles: -0.00001 Abomination. Netflix wants a 2nd season after THAT ending🤬🙄. In a sane universe only GOOD shows get a season 2. But what does that have to do with this universe? Actually the Momos, Agos & new cast deserve better, but they aren't enough to outweigh the old leads, script, lighting, iron-in-the-bronze-age, lack of conclusion, etc, etc.

Pegasus Market: 7.3 What? WHAT!?

Welcome 2 Life: 5.0 For the final week. Earlier was better.

When the Camellia Blooms: 6.2 The neighborhood ladies are so obnoxious and unpleasant to watch -- can we please just get on with the serial killings?

Miss Lee: 4.0 I hope/expect it to get fun when they turn things around, but the downward-spiral phase is just depressing and not really worth suffering thru unless they make it a LOT better later. (FWIW, I've never seen a Hyeri show I liked, and I've dropped all but one of hers I've started).

Running Investigators: 5.4 Investigation this week was rather slow & plodding, but I've seen worse.

Rookie Historian Goo Hae-ryung: 6.5 Liked it, although not as much as many other Beanies. But more kdramas should have a Greek Chorus like the prince's 2 maids.