Open Thread #624

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

*waves hi*

I’m back! 😊
Had my surgery and now recovering...
my goodness it was a horrible few days immediately after, but I’m much much better now. Still have a long way to recover- I can’t sit upright for more than 15 min without being tired and then having back pain, but it’s a slow and steady crawl of improvement. There was a bit of infection in the wound today but hopefully it will clear up soon. Fingers and toes and everything crossed.

Hope everyone has been well!

I managed to finish Hotel De Luna as one of my crowning achievements this post op period- and it was great! Hong Sisters redeemed themselves! And IU was 😍. I am now a fan. She is so gorgeous I cannot believe I never noticed what a doll she is.

Also, I think I should brush up on my Korean lessons- 15 min is about the length on an online lesson so I really should get off my butt and exercise my brain.

Hope all Beanies have a great weekend ahead! 😘

I am happy and relieved to hear from you, I was going through the last few OT threads and whenever I read your posts I was reminded of the surgery and hoping for the best!

Take your time to heal properly and show your body a lot of patience and mercy, no matter how uncooperative it might be right now :P

Do not cross your toes, whenever I do that on accident, it is a tough and painful experience to separate them again :p

Haha! Okay no toe crossing. Just the rest.
My friend told me I should try to make sure I accomplish SOMETHING since this is the longest break I will have in a while from work. So I’m trying to motivate myself to watch Dr John finish and do those Medicaps and then maybe pick up a skill like watercolor painting too....

Good advice from @turtuallysarcastic, rest and let your body heal. I found watercolor painting to be soothing and relaxing. It’s minimal clean up and you have to take breaks to let the paint dry before proceeding. Just play with it, enjoy and speedy recovery wishes to you.

Or watercolor pencils? A little less mess and expense to deal with but it doesn't feel quite as fun.

I’ll see what I can do- depends on whether my Boy will let me use his watercolor pencils or not. 🀣 he loves them and is fairly possessive. Haha.

@michykdrama Welcome back! So good to hear from you and to know you are recovering. Take care and hope you feel much better soon.

Feeling better every day! Soon hopefully I’ll be more active on the drama front too!

Thank you for checking in and letting us know how it's been going, I was thinking of you last week. Ugh, those first few days are both painful and a blur. Glad it's slowly shaping up (🀞🏽With you about the infection). Just rest and rest and rest.

Rest and dramas! Tho I must say I’ve watched more drama clips than actual full dramas lately. Somehow my FB feed is full of them

Welcome back! Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery!

Thank you! It’s slowly getting better. I slept continuously for 5 hours last night which is a huge milestone, so yay! 😊

Take care. Rest and relax and heal!

Thank you! Im actually getting slightly bored so hopefully it means I’m healing and resting enough! 😊

Heh! You got to the 'boring' stage already! Good to see you back and posting.

When your brain nags at you, "I'm bored. And you're a slug for not doing more," Tell it to shut up! I've noticed a real disconnect between my body (that knows what I should and should not be doing in order to get better) and my brain, which always thinks I can do EVERYTHING I used to do--N.O.W! Listen to your body.

hey, glad you're doing okay! hope you recover as quick and safely as you can!

Definitely hoping for a quick but safe recovery- want to enjoy my leave and hopefully do something with it. But slowly- at least I slept well last night, so yay! 😝

What a relief it's over! May you have a speedy recovery and enjoy all the dramas. I loved Hotel Del Luna too.

HDL is ❀️❀️❀️ IU just released a video of her interviewing man Wol and it’s made me miss her and the cast so much! 😍

Here’s the link from Soompi in case you missed it.

Hey there michykdrama, glad you are on the road to recovery. Don't rush things, take it slow and easy as you've mentioned. As for IU, she is my girlcrush now and forever! I have to wrap up Hotel de Luna, but your comment that the Hong Sisters redeemed themselves by the end is motivating. Have a good week, take care. β™₯owl

IMHO it ended well. Not perfect but definitely not the mess that was Hwayugi. And i cried during the last couple of episodes cuz I really started to love the characters in the Hotel.

Do watch it! Definitely one of the better ones of the Hong Sisters in recent times, and IU is so my girl crush now. So so gorgeous!

I really enjoyed HDL and IU. Glad you loved it too!

So glad the surgery went well @michykdrama! I thought you and wondered how it went.
Now is the time for you to take care of yourself and let yourself be spoiled a little bit.
And under no uncertain terms do you want to start watching "The Untamed"! really, seriously okay?

Hahaha!! Yes i totally won’t spend any of my time watching The Untamed. I won’t. Totally won’t. 😝

yeah right. That's what I said too. And I'm now on my second rewatch while reading the book.
If I remember right it was @egads who said
"resistance is futile"
no truer words were written!
So glad you are feeling better enough to be back on the wall!!!

@michykdrama,
Thanks so much for checking in and letting us know how you're doing. You've been on my mind.

Glad to hear that your Kdrama viewing has been therapeutic. Hope that all's well with Ryan. ;-)

Boy’s been good actually. I think he was a bit worried but now that I’m home it’s all good.
And yes, I avoided the medical kdramas for a while but I think I could start on them again soon 😊

@michykdrama,
I'm so glad that The Boy has made it through your hospitalization successfully. What a trooper. <3

With reference to @bluekitchen's Rx for laughter, with a tip of the hat to Dr. Bernie Siegel, who got the ball rolling with Love, Medicine and Miracles, I'd like to suggest the thoroughly goofy PEGASUS MARKET. For an even bigger shot in the arm, you might consider WHEN THE CAMELLIA BLOOMS for Kang Ha-neul's captivating performance with Gong Hyo-jin. (Full disclosure: there's a serial killer on the loose, so you might want to put it on the back burner until you're feeling better. On the other hand, KHN's cop with his heart on his sleeve is so uninhibitedly and genuinely sincere that I cannot help but smile from ear to ear whenever he is on screen.) And Dong-baek's son Pil-gu is a total scene stealer.

I’ve had my eye on When the Camellia blooms for a while. Maybe I shall start this weekend!

Happy to hear from you! Isn't ther3 clinical research that laughter can help speed up recovery and healing? so consider it doctor's orders to watch as many funny kdramas as you can!!!

Haha. Not a bad idea! The world could definitely do with a lot more laughter 😊
I actually laugh a lot watching Graham Norton Show. He and his guests are usually hilarious and always good for a chuckle! I’ve watched quite a lot lately 😁

Happy weekend Beanies!

I hate how well I know myself when it comes to watching K-dramas. Last week I was looking forward to the premiere of Nokdu and the calm week with 2 days off to live watch this show and catch up on Pegasus Market. Note to self: never leave such ambitions on paper where real life can trace it! :p

A few weeks ago my father and I discovered that my room is like a game of jenga: You cannot just remove an old wardrobe and leave the rest of the furniture untouched. This Monday my father unexpectedly came up with a nice design to redecorate my room after the old wardrobe was gone, and I spend my free Wednesday cleaning out that old small wardrobe and organizing everything in my new and bigger wardrobe. It is astonishing how many more items of clothing we own than we might think we do. ;) When I got off work yesterday, I was in for another surprise: my parents had redecorated my room already! :D

At first it was stressful to just abandon all urgent plans in favor of cleaning and organizing in my spare time, but in the end I needed the metaphorical push from my parents to get started. I have been both stalling and anticipating my yearly β€˜spring cleaning’, which I had planned right after my notice period. Now I am already halfway, so I can afford to leave the rest until I am done working.

Not like there would be any time to finish sooner. Next Thursday I am leaving for London already until Sunday, so I should start preparing for the GOT7 concert next Friday and do some packing this weekend.

This means that I will not be on OT next week, but I hope to be back on the 18th to fangirl about the concert, the men and the trip. At the same time, that will also be my last day on the job, which might be an emotional day after having to say goodbye to ahjumma and ahjussi Sunbaenim in person :( . Fortunately I can keep in touch with them, but it is not the same of course.

But I am getting ahead of myself, it is only Friday afternoon over here and I am task free already. Only time will tell whether I will start another item on my to do list or watch K-dramas instead ;)

The moving stuff around in a room after one item has been removed is totally familiar! You can never just remove one thing and be done with it!

Have a wonderful trip to London and have a great time at the concert!

Thank you, I usually do the big cleaning and redecoration once a year anyway, and it keeps me motivated and busy during the job hunt ;)

That's great that your parents were so helpful! It must be fun to have a new room (almost finished) to start off on your new adventures post-job. And of course you will be a new person after your trip and GOT7. Have a great time!

Thank you, my parents are great indeed! Apparently furniture moving beats napping in their schedule ;)

Don't forget to bring an umbrella and a raincoat to London.

...is that a hint about your next cameo? :O I would not mind wearing you to the concert btw (I could sneak you in!) ;)

Have a wonderful time at the concert!

Thank you! :)

jenga room, ha!

Hello and happy weekend everyone.
Autumn reached rainy and windy phase here that require you to stay at home and just watch dramas, and this what I plan to do :D

Enjoy!

Please bring rainy season to Southern California. It has been hot summer days. Not fall days.

On the other hand, we're having cool fall weather here in northern Calif

I love rainy or snowy days where you just snuggle under blankets and binge watch dramas. The ultimate weekend β€οΈβ›ˆπŸ“Ί

Wow, I haven't seen snow for decades.

here too ;;

In politics and sports momentum matters a lot. A little shift here and there can change fortune of candidates and players as well as the whole team involved.
Gets another country's pm to endorse him. wants another countries Presidents to investigate an opponent. cuddling with other countries main leaders to save his chair. All in all when he's still have good support. Still Trump is ahead of others. As i said several months ago better to have a fool than vile one. All depends upon bureaucracy.
If bureaucrats get drunk on powers then you are done for. Politicians come and go but these bureaucrats are the real power structures.

As i said few weeks ago - I accept everything. Its the most easiest thing to do. Struggle starts with approval and acknowledgement. Your Actions make you. Present creates the future. Its the experience we all go through. That's why i believe acceptance is the 1st step to move forward to progress.

Duterte is in trouble unless he gets some troll army help from china - to create the storm of disinformation as well discredit the opposition.
Europe march is almost complete. French President stood as a sore and he's almost taken care of. Chaos creates new heros out of ordinary people but i think that is set for 2023-24. Less effort with more returns. till then swim with the tide.

Please keep politics out of Dramabeans. We do not need to be polarized within our community of drama fans over such things as the politics of such a corrupt government that values money and those who have money over human life and the health of the earth. Don't destroy Dramabeans by dividing us against each other. Please.

"Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! "

That's the rules of the thread posted at the top by the DB team.
@catocat is free here to talk about politics if she wants to.
Just ignore the message if you don't like it, but please don't try to censor people on what they should tell or not.

I'm not "censoring" anyone. I'm just asking for a community where a topic so volatile and toxic is not welcome. But if that is what the beanies find welcome here and wanted, then I understand and I will no longer be welcome here.

He's been reported to db for his posts on this before. I find it laughable it could be seen as 'political censorship' for us to ask people not to post offensive messages on a korean drama website. You are not alone in how you feel on this. The philosophy he's espousing is awful. At least this post isn't pro-Nazi like his last one is - oh wait, it is.

@leetennant
I seem to recall you post messages on your own political beliefs as well, trying to tell us what we should or should not do or believe about certain dramas from certain countries.

Even if you have good intentions, you're still asking people to conform to your need to not talk about a certain topic just because it disturbes you, instead of asking yourself how you can't avoid the discussion without preventing others to freely talk.
I would understand you if it was against the rules to discuss politics, but it's not.

It's not telling you that you're not welcome to remind you of the rules: just an invitation to reconsider your position and not stop to the offense that you felt.

@coolgirl You are a bit misinformed about my intentions and even about my plea to not talk politics. It's not that it offends me. Its that I know what rage it can bring out in people and I don't want to see that happen here. The person I was initially commenting to was seeming to support a murderous dictator and give a thumbs up to a corrupt, lying dictator wannabe. Why do that? Seems like the work of trolling and people intent on causing hate. Yes, I can and will stop reading the "Open Thread" articles. But you know what? If hate is something that is allowed and supported here more than an attitude of peace then the quality and open arms to the rest of us will be limited.

Blech. I hate politics. I come to Dramabeans to avoid this stuff 😣

Then don't read political messages:)

Entertainment and politics are often intertwined. Entertainment inspired light political discussions are usually accepted.

Problem is one has to read this first before one realizes it's a pure political thread. Maybe a warning?

Me, too! So don't get me started...

And as I said at the same time, Cat0Cat, you are wrong. Politics is not sports - you don't barrack for a team and wear the same jerseys and go for a beer afterwards. People. Die.
I'm glad you find the wholesale destruction of everything so very interesting and can "go with the flow" on things like impoverishment and concentration camps. But other people can't. And these posts are bordering on trolling.

Politics may not be sports, but it's certainly a game, with tragic results for the little people.
Although dramas are for entertainment primarily, much of it focuses on political, economic and social issues that shouldn't be hidden behind closed doors.

Majority of human population aka the common man is the one suffers. Those little people hold most of resources so results never turn tragic for them.
. 2nd paragraph is the bullseye which few identities conveniently ignore.

Guess who's finally out of slumpland? And rebounded by watching too many currently airing at once?

Hehehe, this new batch of dramas has me overwhelmed! I'm watching:

Camillia ~ slice of life with a heavy dose of murder, just my style. I stayed up until 1 am watching the latest episode last night, just couldn't turn it off. While the local wannabe politician is getting on my nerves (and I do have to restrain myself from fast forwarding his scenes, but I do feel I will like the lawyer wife more as the story goes on), I really love Gong Hyo Jin and Kang Ha Neul's characters and acting. They are each such a mix of weaknesses and strengths, and the end of episode 6 with hippo Dongbaek going to the police with her ledger was epic! His look of adoration as she defended him was too too precious.

Vagabond ~ a Bourne Identity esque action adventure. I'm strapped in for this ride, with plenty of theories. Right now I'm betting that LSG used to be a gang member, what with his blonde hair and fighting/survival skills. I think that would explain perhaps his estrangement with his brother (he had never met his nephew before he adopted him after all), and his sudden need to find legitimate employment using the only skills he has. I also agree with @katakwasabi that SSR's dead partner is likely LSG's brother. Oh, and I love Lily, she's a chaotic murderer with a conscience who is also here to appreciate LSG's workouts and shower scenes.

NokDu ~ I caught the premiere of this sageuk romcom, and it felt just right. The right amount of humor for me, with the perfect amount of chemistry between the leads. They already fit so well on their journey to becoming friends, I can just imagine once the romance starts.

Anyways, I am debating starting Extraordinary You and Yang Se Jong's new sageuk, but maybe I should just stick to three currently airing? No idea. I'm staying up late watching the last episodes and theorizing about multiple dramas at once and gosh, it's been so long since I've been so infatuated with this world of drama watching. I hope it continues ~ live up to your promise shows! Or at least be cracktastically bad!

I also theorize that not only is LSG's bro SSR's partner, his bro was also SSR's senior and mentor. I think that Dalgun, HaeRi and Ki Tae Woong and satoori friend are around the same age aka in their 30s. Dalgun was born in 1982 (ref passport), meanwhile Haeri around 1980-82 (ref passports).

Lily is cool. I like her too~ hehe

I was cheering when she walked out of the bar with determination!! And YS’s expression when he is like β€˜are you protecting me now?’ -aww. I like how you say people are a mix of strengths and weaknesses. That’s the case with these two.

Tale of Nokdu might be the drama that gets me out of being 99.9% obsessed with Untamed, even after all these weeks it's still so special. Then there's the novel, the donghua, the favorite scenes and arcs, etc.
But Nokdu just might - not dethrone Untamed - but bring it down to 75% obsession and 25% obsession with Nokdu.

They showed him with a tattoo, the only way tattoos are portrayed in kdramas is gang affiliated. You must be right.
They also associate coloured hair of normal people as a sign of delinquency, so again I'm sure you're right.

Btw coco, if you do get bored try EY & my country, I enjoyed them both. EY more than my country, but still enjoyable enough.

Happy weekend all! πŸ’œ

Updates for Korea Drama Awards...both JKH and SSR didn't win 😒. Better luck next time to both of them~ fighting!

And I think my Divine Rock and Candy Agent ship will sink in Vagabond Bobbybond ep 5 🀣. Luckily I'm open to shipping Divine Rock with other characters. The true OTP could be SSR and LSG anyways~ hahahaha!

Yes, and uri OTP will find the nephew on a deserted island (with other survivors of the plane crash), and raise him together as a happy family will crazy Aunt Lily.

I'm so glad others are on board my ship of LSG and SSR. With the addition of crazy Aunt Lily this is shaping up to be a mesmerizing family drama. So much ppl opportunity.

Also, @lugirl131415 and I are plotting a new round robin fanwall story called "See Sic Date" where we set up @sicarius with different oppas from dramaland. If anyone wants to contribute ideas or writing or be tagged please let us know!

Oh, this is going to be interesting.

There's a prologue that I've put on my fanwall, and the first chapter on Bae's (lugirl). For some reason DB isn't letting me post the links here...

Woot woot tag me thank you

Oh please do tag me!

Please tag me.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ All cos Bea wants a wedding lol

Hehe I love being the maknae 😘😘😘😘😘😘

Me me. Tag me too bea~ hehe

Yes, m’am!

I’m planning to have Date 2 finished by Sunday, Bae. Work and family obligations really cramping my writing πŸ˜’

No need to rush~
You really can post it whenever you want since you are my sunbae in this realm.

I don't really have any ideas or anything to add, but I'd love to be tagged so I can keep up with the stories. please, pretty please??

Of course!

I suggested to sic to build a harem where she can keep all her oppas in one place. There is only one problem, guys. Sic doesn't want her oppa to have any attractive qualities. Is that going to be a problem? Or does that make things much easier? ;)

I still say a polygamous ship with KYK & SYJ is the way to go. Also obviously tag me. πŸ™ƒ

Hello, all:
Trying to get used to the cold.
Dramas:

Miss Lee: love it. normal folks, although the three guys who connect most with our heroine are so "distant" in their own way. That cold whistleblower is seriously hot, though.

Camellia: A certain bar hostess had better not be killed.

Strangers from hell: A certain goshiwon dweller had better not become a killer.

Pegasus Market: Love me that Bbaya tribe. bring on more tribal dances!

Extraordinary You: ah the meta! I'm wishing the writer doesn't enter this drama. Kinda hoping the characters work this out themselves.

Vagabond: My fave villain is the head of the airplane company. Am worried that our hero has hooked up with him. If the assassin didn't want to work with him, i can just imagine how bad things can get.

Awaiting, My Country. Still haven't watched Human Rights or Melting Me.
Have a great weekend, all.

I was wondering how many of you like monologues? I remember there not being much of a monologue trend a few years back in kdramaland. But recently also with the increase of slice of life or healing dramas, there have been quite a regular trend of a character either narrating her/his own thoughts. While I do like it, I at times think it can cross the "show don't tell" line. Also usually dialogues aren't expected to be this long as a monologue gets. What do you guys think about it? They are insightful but do you think they get lengthy and boring and it feels as if the writer couldn't find a way to "show" this insightful dialogue?

Good question. I think they should be used sparingly. It’s more meaningful when you suddenly hear a character’s thoughts after trying to understand them for several episodes, and you go β€œoooh I’m a privileged viewer into this person’s soul.”

If they overdo monologues it becomes boring and even preachy, as if the actors are not good enough and we are not smart enough to infer what they are thinking. And while we might learn a lot about their thoughts through monologues, they don’t get to speak to and really get to know other characters in the drama! Case in point: ARTHDAL CHRONICLES 😰

Do you mean monologues or voice-overs? Monologues are characters just chattering to themselves or to other characters with no once else speaking. Voice-overs is narrator. I don't mind either of them, esp if the narrator has personality. One of the best narrators was in Return of Iljimae. The trouble with narration is that sometimes they give so much information that you totally forget everything they tell you. The voice over narration for Ever Night got me totally confused and didn't help.

There's a funny scene in Doctors where Kim Rae Won delivers a ahort monologue after meeting Shin Hye for the first time, then says: "Wait... why am I talking aloud to myself?" I swear the twinkle in his eye and shrug felt like a private joke with audience. 😊😍

LOL!

There's a section in Return of Iljimae where the narrator says something like, β€œWhy is it only girls who help Ijimae? Is it because he’s nice looking? Is it because he’s the main character?”

I don't mind if it is used right. And imo, it is not used right if we feel that it can be shown on screen or acted out. Also don't like if it doesn't enforce a message/plot line of the show. I really don't want to keep using Arthdal for negative example, but this is the only one I can think of right now. Eunseom and his "Wait for me Tanya. I'll be there soon". I rolled my eyes everytime I hear that in latter episodes when clearly he has not make any effort to get to her SOON. πŸ™„

I feel like I need to give positive examples too. I like it in Because This Life is Our First and the more recent Be Melodramatic. πŸ˜€

Yes i loved the use in these shows. It meant that there could be less unnecessary dialogue.

And Extraordinary You!! I especially ❀ Dan Oh's inner voice when she has to do things against her will. πŸ˜„

Monolouge use brilliantly: ad astra.
Monologue help us alot audience to understand the main protagonist better

Hi Everyone! ..... I hope you are all doing well today.

Secret Boutique - Sun-woo! I'm just really liking this guy and how he helps Jenny out. It's the first time I've seen the actor playing Sun-woo and let me just say that this is a very nice introduction!

Melting Me Softly - While I'm glad to see Won Jin-ah and Ji Chang-wook, I'm still not too sure about this show.

Pegasus Market - It's hilarious! Never count actor Kim Byung-chul out .... he appears on scene with a no-expression look on his face and you're already laughing.

Vagabond - I was ready for an action-packed show so I started this one, and episode 1 delivered.

Will I be able to fit in My Country on the viewing schedule this weekend? I'm certainly going to try!

That's all for now. Everyone take care and have a great Friday!

Kim Jae-Young who played Sun Woo in Secret Boutique is in the week-end drama "Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life " too !

Pegasus Market is such fun! Nice seeing guys who always were secondary or supporting characters playing lead roles.

I ❀ Pegasus Market. It's so wacky and delicious but also has ❀. And today is Pegasus day. Can't wait to watch!

I think you really picked the right drama for Kim Jae Young. This role is different from his previous ones and more meaty. I was indifferent to him before, but he got my attention here in Secret Boutique.

@msrabbit I'm glad I picked this one!

Fingers crossed that Melting Me is better this week.

@ndlessjoie Let's hope so.

Good morning,

Tonight, I am going to meet my gal friend in my previous neighborhood before we move to bigger house. I can not wait to see her and chit chat and drink some wine in a new restaurant near me. I am more excited tomorrow night as one of my girl best friend and I are going to see Miss Saigon in Sergerstom Hall in Costa Mesa. That is near my mother in law house. Hubby is going to babysit all three kids and one dog (We are dog sitting until my mother in law come back.) Well, two kids and one teenager and a dog. LOL

Last time, I have seen Miss Saigon was in college with my college friends. I am sad that they will be cut scenes again like they did with Phantom of the Opera and Fiddler On The Roof due to Sergestrom Hall was not big theatre compare the big stadium theatre in NYC. However, I am so happy to see Miss Saigon with my best friend. I will miss my cousin baby shower. I already send her baby gifts and my regards of her having her first born child. It is a girl.πŸ˜‰πŸ’—

I have watched first four episode of Nokdu. It is cute and funny. I need to catch up the other two episodes of Extra-Ordinary You. My Country will have to wait because Peaky Blinders is back in Netflix. Hubby and I are looking forward to it. Also, Chinese drama My girlfriend is Alien and Nine Kilometers of Love. I am gonna tried to finish it. At least Girlfriend is Alien as that is 28 episodes. I am up to episode 22.

Have a great weekend everyone.

P.S. I am gonna need to relax because next week will be a busy week for me.

I've started watching My Girlfriend is an Alien and loving it. It's so cute and fun and both the main characters are great. I'm only up to episode 7 but I plan to binge watch it this weekend❀️

Oh I love all 3 of those shows. I went to see MISS SAIGON when Lea Salonga was part of the cast. It was such a treat.
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF is a family favorite and it became a Sunday show to watch together.
I'd watch PHANTOM over and over if I could. I've become a big fan of Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo.

Have you seen "The Count of Monte Cristo " yet? It is one of my absolute favorite with Brandi Burkhardt and Thomas Borchert.

Please let me know if it's worth driving to Coasta Mesa to watch Miss Saigon.

Have a wonderful time!

My clinic is dead in the water right now. No power in the whole building. THe generators haven't kicked in which is a bad sign. It's been about 10 minutes. Reminds me of being in a third world country. But phone lines and internet wireless are all still running.
The bad thing is that we have 10 big refrigerators that have no power right now, and hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) worth of medications in them. Hopefully, the generators will come on soon. So, because there's no power, no patients are being seen right now. So, I get to write a couple paragraphs! It's also full mode Halloween month in our clinic--and tricks and treats abound. So, there are lanterns lighting some of my nurse's desks which is very festive in the dark.

Hope everyone is doing well this week. It's good to always see @michykdrama on the OT. Hope you recover well!

I finished Rookie Historian last weekend. I feel like my tastes are diluted right now, and that I really like this one, but maybe I wouldn't have liked it so much had I had anything else that really captured my attention.

Watching Camillia with my husband as well. Lots of crying this week, which sadly, made me laugh. That girl cries on a dime, and so does her ex. It was pretty comical to me. My husband is weirdly addicted to this show though--and he doesn't know why, BUUHAAAHAAA!

AND MY COUNTRY STARTS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE BE GOOD. PLEASE BE GOOD. PLEASE BE GOOD.

Conversation Time: My Daughter and the Math Genius: The second lead...

Daughter: My math class is boring right now, Math Genius and I played video games during that period when we're done with the assignment.

Me: Really? Is that why you and he don't want to move up to the next class? Because you are playing video games all through class??? Is there anyone else in the next math class in your grade?

Daughter: Just the new kid. His name is Tee.

Me: Tee??? Who's that?

Daughter: I think he's Asian. He has 2 older brothers, and he's looked at the school for the past 2-3 years, but finally got in.

Me: *New math genius in the cross hairs* Will he be at the math competition later this month?

Daughter: Probably...

Moral of the Story: Well, internet went down. I'm on my phone's hot spot now. We'll see how long this lasts. (We've been just told 1.5 hours before power comes back on.)

2nd Moral: My daughter will have lots to talk about in therapy someday.

3rd moral: First lead probably has nothing to worry about. He's playing video games with the daughter during math class.

Hope the power situation is resolved soon!

God, that sounds nightmarish

Power is back on! Catching up now!

Math League love triangle? I'd watch.

Admit it, it's the "in the cross hairs" portion that drew you in.

The intersect of potential love, numbers, and a nosy mother may be a big draw. "In the cross hairs" also, definitely.

oh wow! I hope you can manage to save the stuff in the fridge. Is it cold where you are? I hate power losses.

Everything in the fridges are saved! Woohoo!

YAY!!!

Oh man I was getting stressed haha. Gotta keep the cold chain.

Ally, i hope you solve the problem in the clinic. I hope you guys are fine.

Thanks. It was all taken care of. Hope you’re good as well!

On behalf of Science and Knowledge, I have a question for everyone about the opening screen of all Viki shows. You know the one where there are like 50 gifs of scenes from dramas at the same time? Okay, what I need to know is:
Who do Beanies think is in the center panel? It's an actor taking a shower (that's where the Science part comes in πŸ˜‰)
I think it's Park Seo Joon or maybe Namgoong Min. It looks so familiar but I can't recognize the drama at all.
Thanks, Beanies! Let's hear your opinions.

Made me laugh...I can't help you because I don't watch Viki. Are the abs nice? They must be, to be in the centre panel.

It's not so much abs-y as it is arms-y but you still get the idea. I've always wondered who Viki chose for the center panel πŸ˜†

OMG i literally was wondering about this exact thing a couple days ago

oh my heck I also wonder this. I DON'T KNOW. But--can we name all the dramas in order? I've always wanted to do this. Anybody want to post a link to the image? (searching furiously)

I found this link where people identified all of them. Looks like that one is Orange Marmalade

Identify Viki's Opening Screen

Whoa, that's amazing! You answered EVERYTHING and in short order! Thanks very much 😁

I think I'll just keep telling myself that it's PSJ!

cool! Thanks!! I don't know about 1 being Goblin though... any thoughts?

Geez, talk about being so obsessed a person could identify all of them! Wow.

I think it's Nam Goong Min from Secret Hotel. The scene is on youtube and it's higly watchable.

Why, thank you! 😍

I am watching Extraordinary You. Finally. A drama that absorbs me. The first two episodes zipped by so fast. My heart ached, fluttered, raged, and plummeted with our non-Candy girl lead. I absolutely adore her. I shared all her frustrations at being relegated to a shadowy extra. I love her snarky thoughts, and I rolled my eyes, along with her, at the Candy Girl antics. Guys, you have to watch this show. It is the best, most refreshing drama ever in a long, long time. And I love her chemistry with the jerk fiance.

Best line so far: Everything i do is for them. Even the sunlight follows her around."

Yessss! I felt her frustration. It's a brilliant show, and I laughed out loud so many times. Another part was when she asked a question, and then she said, what the??? You made me ask a question?? So they can flirt?? And the door part, she wrenched it open, and stalked out, like what is this??? I loveee this show!

I assume the door part is on episode 4. I am up to episode 3.

Aahhhh I want to watch this one too!! There's so many I want to watch right now, but... I think I'll have to wait, there's only so many hours in the day and my HW waits for no drama γ… γ…

You have to watch this. It is sooooo funnyyyyy. It broke my drama slump.

I feel sorry for her because she soo want that Strawberry milk so bad. LOL

Yes, the milk! I wanted to cry, Just give her the milk for crying out loud. Thiis show makes me soooo frustrated I'm like so tense all the time rooting for her. And all the guys are so goodlooking. I think the fiance will fall for her, but the mysterious guy is the lead.

I love it too! She's so spunky! When she tests all the back of all the guys in the school! She's so funny! I love her antics!

The casting is really get out from a manga, tall and so handsome :D

But I wonder how the nameless guy can have the power to change the story? And the zapping sounds with each change of scene was so hilarious. And they kept on replaying the scenes until I almost went crazy like her. Such a funny, delightful show, and so well directed and acted.

I think Dan Oh is the one who is going to change her own destiny in the story. Nameless guy will be her new tool because every story needs to have its own ML and FL! #Fighting!DanOhIAmRootingForYou

I know, right. I can't wait. Ah, so excited about this show. I tend to get bored watching a drama. I think Alhambra was the last show that got my full attention.

Good morning and happy Friday everyone!! I thought I'd learned my lesson back when I was a freshman and had decided never to take an 8:00 class again... I hadn't. γ… γ…  It's ok. It's going well. In other news, is everyone getting excited for fall??! I had an apple slushie this week from locally grown apples, it was AMAZING.

I'm super impressed with this year's fall dramas, too, actually. I'm still watching Hell is Other People (a little behind) but SO looking forward to the ending, it's been quite the ride. And I'm watching two Sageuks, which *never* happens, but they're both hilarious so I'm just going with it... and Melting Me Softly? Ji Chang Wook, where have you been for last two years of my life?!! I'm so pleased. So pleased. Almost as pleased as I was for Jeonghan's birthday yesterday (Seventeen). That was also a very good moment. ^^ Anyway, happy Friday, all!

PS Fun question: what's everyone's favorite fall food, and where is it from? Mine would probably be a good Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookie, found wherever Costco sells them. ^^

I love Pumpkin bread. Especially from this local bakery by me. But sadly I have cut out sugar from my diet which means I've been pumpkin breadless for the last 2 years 😒

is this all kinds of sweetener, including applesauce? (That's what my daughter uses).

Ha! Funny you should ask, I hate all fall flavors especially pumpkin. I strongly dislike all the spices and herbs of Fall as well, so American Thanksgiving is a real miss for me.

Unless we count Caramel as a Fall flavor? Then I'm all in.

Whaaaaat??? Haha I'm a really big fall fan myself (pumpkin, cinnamon, squash... caramel counts!) Can I ask what season's flavors you like best then? (I hope that made sense haha)

I know, right? It eliminates a whole lotta foods! I guess I'm a Spring and Summer kind of girl although I've never thought of it in those terms before! I'm the one scowling at ALL the pumpkin flavored EVERYTHING in the stores at this time of year ☹️

@bbstl,
I cannot abide pumpkin, either. YUCK! But I love squash pie (made with the blue Hubbard variety), which is way better in my book. But you'd still hate the sweet, warming spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, mace, allspice, cloves). Which leaves more for me. ;-)

Gee, it sounds as if apple pie is on your hate list, too. Could you stand it if it were spiced with cardamon instead?

Yay, a somewhat kindred spirit! Yes, I hate them all. Just the smell of nutmeg in something makes me sick. I also don't like rosemary and some of the savory spices, what a fun person I am. I love basil and oregano! And tomatoes!

I can do apple pie smothered in vanilla ice cream ☺️

@bbstl,
Funny how our olfactory senses are wired. I love most of the savory herbs. For me, Bell's Poultry Seasoning is New England Thanksgiving in a box, partly because of the ground ginger and rosemary. -- On the other hand, I detest regular cumin because it smells like composting gym socks. I can tolerate it if it's not too strong. Kala jeera (Indian "black cumin"), on the other hand, smells much better to me, so I use that instead.

@pakalanapikake, I didn't know there are two kinds of Indian cumin. Fascinating! I'm fine with both, I bet. Your Thanksgiving seasoning mix would gag me πŸ˜† Hate Ginger! πŸ™‹πŸΌ

@bbstl,

Wow, maybe you have an allergy to nutmeg. I can take it in small doses sprinkled on eggnog to cut the richness, but I much prefer its reddish net-like covering (mace), which my Mom always put in her all-butter pound cake. To my tastebuds, nutmeg has a resinous, almost piney aftertaste. Hmmm. Like turpentine?

Here's the scoop on kala jeera, whose acquaintance I made in an Indian cooking class many years ago:

This one is the usual brown cumin used in Mexican cuisine, IIRC:

This site's photos are mixed up (those are cloves, not cinnamon!), but it has some good descriptions of the flavors. https://www.quepasafoods.com/en-us/complete-guide-mexican-spices/

I'm not a big fan of coriander powder used in both Indian and Mexican cuisine, although I grew to love the fresh herb, cilantro -- which was an acquired taste in Thai food. Interestingly, cumin and coriander are both in the parsley family, and are kin to carrots, parsnips, angelica, celery and lovage, and the North American wildflower Queen Anne's lace -- whose flower has a musty, bitter scent I dislike intensely. They're classed as Apiaceae or Umbelliferae (which makes me think of umbrellas, which is the appearance of many of the flowers and seed heads), and also include caraway and licorice-scented anise and fennel, both of which I love, along with true licorice. Many licorice items are actually flavored with anise seed, which to me has a more aromatic, piercing flavor than that of the earthy licorice root.