Drama viewership ratings for the week of Nov. 4-10, 2019

All right, November, let’s see what you got. To start things off, we have the latest melodrama VIP raking in ratings for the Monday-Tuesday slot. Historical rom-com Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency made sure to get in on those numbers for its final episode, garnering 3.8 percent. Catch the Ghost, however, wasn’t able to (ahem) catch up this week.

Apart from the usual week-to-week fluctuation, there haven’t been any major changes for the mid-week and weekend shows. I will say that it’s interesting to see how the constant pre-emptions are seemingly messing with the flow of shows like Secret Boutique and Vagabond. Then, there’s When the Camellia Blooms workin’ hard to get that 20 percent — but what else is new?

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Nov. 4-10, 2019

Sunday, Nov. 10
Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life 27 KBS 20.7%
Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life 28 KBS 24.0%
The Lies Within 10 OCN 1.6%
Melting Me Softly 14 tvN 1.8%

Tags:

I was so bummed Secret Boutique didn't air on both days. Fortunately there's Beautiful Love, Wonderful Life to get my Kim Jae-young fix.

It’s my first “Weekend Drama” and I’m enjoying it. However, I do fast forward through all the scenes with the FLs father. He annoys me. I also hate the older sister, and will probably resist the inevitable “redemption” of her character, which started the last few episodes, when she finally went home and was nice to her family.

I love Joon-hwi and Cheong-ah, and their budding attraction to each other. and I love Moon Tae-rang.

My favorite scene so far is after his conversation with Baek Rim, who explains Cheong-ah’s Attraction by alluding to the poem Wildflower, and we see Joon-hwi looking up the poem and reading it, and then watching Cheong-ah clearing rocks from the path of a wheelchair-bound patient. It’s such a lovely example of how Kdramas can skillfully weave art into a drama’s dialogue/plot, and have it come off as natural, rather than stilted and pretentious (like all the art, poetry and literature references were in the poorly written dialogue in Encounter. It tried so hard to make its forgettable lead characters interesting and “deep.” So cringeworthy).

I only like Joonhwi and Cheongah so far. I watch the drama for them. Even Taerang is too sappy for me (hehe...). I can"t stand the father at all.

Can KBS please bother to promote TTON??? The drama is popular and generating crazy buzz online all on its own merits. KBS does not deserve this gem.

That was ages ago and it was only for 3 days. Go online not a single video clip has been posted on their channels. Not a single video clip is being posted on Viki. Go see TVN and how they promote. Go see JTBC and how they promote. You don't know what real promotion is. Even the viewers are complaining that the drama has zero promotion.

Promotion changes a lot for each drama and how they sold them. Take My Country on JTBC, they only put trailer and one BTS video by week and it's all. The channel The Swoon did release one promotion video with actors and some scenes. For Flower Crew, there were part of the episodes and different BTS videos.

For The Tale of Nokdu, they release BTS videos and the actors went on radio shows or vlive. But it's the same for Camelia.

For EY, MBC release BTS videos but some are only on naver and not youtube. The actors went only on idol radio at the beginning and they didn't promote from then.

It is interesting that when Netflix picks up a show, it aggressively promotes it with the stars on YouTube. That forces the Korean production company and network to do some of its promotion prior to the release date.

Even MBC is releasing tons of bts videos but KBS only gives 2 very short making videos every week.

Pil-gu promoted it on When the Camellia Blooms! Lol, he told everyone to shut up so he could watch. It was great.

Baseball is messing up my drama watching. According to the original schedule, Vagabond season1 should have ended this week. But now it's expected to end on 23rd instead of 16th Nov to give way to baseball next week too. Huhuhu

What do you mean with season 1? Is this bullet craziness going to continue with a second season?

LMAO!!!!!!!! If so, will watch!!

It feels like it's going to continue with a second season. Ep 14 and we are still in 2012 and nowhere close to the first scene in ep 1 😅.

Oh hell, I completely forgot that the set up is in 2012! I hope the writers/directors do remember that they have set this up in 2012 and not 2019. Otherwise it will get really embarrassing.

If so, I’m glad I dropped it. 🙈 I am not a fan of the Netflix multi-season format applied to kdramas.

I always thought the scene in ep 1 was just a throwaway, honestly. It'll cut to it near the end and we'll realise they got separated by circumstance. And the final scene will be them reuniting in the present after he, I don't know, takes out his team to protect her or something.

I see nothing that implies we'll be setting up for a season 2. If anything they're struggling to fill a season 1.

I'm beginning to think we've been had @wishfultoki. We seem far from the end. I didn't even get to laugh during ep 14. I just shook my head at how easily manipulated these fools are. I was also saddened by the treatment of mental illness, drug addiction, and the "idiot" savant (which may be due to the subtitles).

I nearly teared from the cheese they gave KTW and rolled my eyes at everything else. I didn't even have the joy of making fun of the show in ep 14....it was just...sigh.

@leetennant I hope that's the case, they reunite or something and end of story.

@ndlessjoie You know how I feel about Netflix since Arthdal... #paranoid. I hope for your sake Vagabond ends its wandering plot at Ep 16.

I mean.... Netflix announced Arthdal was three seasons. People just got confused because of the three parts. But Netflix said from the beginning it was three seasons.

At the beginning of the year they only said it was projected to be a multi-season project, but they never confirmed this nor said anything about three seasons. If anyone and everyone was "confused" it's because they were not clear in the first place, hence the feeling of being cheated.

I think Netflix is just a broadcaster and had nothing to do with Vagabond's production per say. VB started filming somewhere in June 2018, supposed to air at the end of last year but got delayed and pushed to May 2019. The initial distributor was Sony Pictures and to be broadcasted internationally on Sony One and AXN (based on it's old wiki page). Only in April 19 it was announced that it will be broadcast worldwide via Netflix....and it got delayed to September 19.

Anyways....VB's long fliming process and it's journey to air can be made into a drama. Hahahaha 🤣

Why is VIP rating higher than Tale of Nokdu? I have not started watching VIP yet, is it worth?

It's probably due to the actors and more of a wealthy Hollywood look to it. I haven't watched it either and don't plan to because I really don't like the main actress Jang NaRa even when she played opposite my favorite actor (Seo In Guk) in Hello Monster. I seldom enjoy watching the lives of the rich and haughty either. Too many interesting things this time of year to waste time on something that doesn't really appeal to me.

Thanks for explaining. Sad that Nokdu rating is a bit lower than comfort, but it’s my fav now and I am eagerly waiting for tomorrow to come sooner.

Me, too. I'm excited to see what happens next with Nokdu and DongJoo and am so hoping the Queen gets to realize who Nokdu is.

Jang Nara: me too.

Jang Nara: me three.

Fusion sageuks are not the favourite genre in Korea, it's more for young Koreans. Sungkyunkwan Scandal's ratings were around 10% and it was pretty famous. Rookie Historian's ratings were around 5%. Moonlight Drawn by Clouds was an exception with ~17%.

MOONLIGHT actually surpassed the coveted 20. It's highest episodes was 23%.

Moonlight was boring to me, I could not finish the last episode, it was so predictable and super cheesy. I enjoy Nokdu more, at least the male lead is prettier and he can fight. My taste is totally non-Korean I know.

There is nothing wrong with what you find enjoyable in sageuks.

This type of fusion romance is my least favorite to be honest.
I'd watch both anyways because I love my girls and sometimes it fits the mood.

A heavier political romance sageuk like PRINCESS MAN is more my type. The more history the better.

We have a lot of sageuks this year and it could be sageuk fatigue since the ratings started off well with THE CROWNED CLOWN at the beginning of the year then decreases towards the end of the year.
We have 2 on going sageuks and 3 in the last couple of months.

it's a bit sad because I think Moonlight is cute but Nokdu is a far better drama (even coming from the same writing team).

I also think Nokdu has more interesting characters and some storylines are very unexpected like the personality changes. Moonlight is too predictable imo.

I like the both. The both have the crossdress plot and great couple but their plot are not the best.

man crossdresses as a woman and still looks pretty is a rare find. We have watched too many girls crossdressing as boys and they don't even look any bit like a man.

Nokdu is spades better than Moonlight in every way actually. The originality, acting, chemistry and plot. All of it is much better.

@liz I don't agree. For the chemistry, the both couple have a good chemistry, in MDTC the couple was less "mature" because KJY was younger but they had a great chemistry and the BTS scenes were pretty funny. For the plot, The Tale of Nokdu's story is not better, the way some characters switched it's not good writting when it was not hinted before, it's just an author's facility. At least, if there was a narrator and this one changed, I could have understood but not in this case.
For the originality, I agree the crossdressing for a man is pretty original and really well done and gave us a lot of fun to watch :) but in the same time, they already did the crossdressing with a female... It's still crossdressing.

Moonlight’s ratings were inflated b/c of PBG. He is a decent actor, but nothing special. His best scenes, and the ones that kept me interested in and watching until the end, were with Kwak Dong-yeon’s character, Kim Byeong-Yeon. KDY was, as always, fabulous, and his character is the only one who made me ugly-cry during the drama. Such a talented actor.

My favorite political drama of the year was Haechi, which was so good, even though they had to rewrite the last third of it after Go Ara’s Injury kept her from 3weeks of filming, and caused her to be pretty obviously sedentary during the episodes filmed after she returned.

@Kurama Disagree if you want but the most people would agree that Nokdu is the better drama in almost every aspect. The chemistry being immature is not the writer's fault the actors are to blame. If someone is too young for the role then it is a miscast role which is why the chemistry was not good. It dosen't matter what actors do off camera or if they had chemistry. If they failed on camera then that is all that counts. The writing in Nokdu is consistent and the characters do not suddenly change. They move back and forth between good and bad but they are not inconsistent. The writing is layered and enjoyable and the chemistry is the best amongst all dramas this year. The actors have shown great acting displaying very complex emotions. I can't agree with any of your counter arguments.

@liz> When I said the relationship was less mature, I didn't say in a bad way. It's just it was more innocent but it was pretty nice in the story. I found pretty funny you talk about the actors like that when Kim So Hyun was pretty protected for her past projects.
For the best couple, I really like them but there were great couple in this year too (Clean With Passion too, My Strange Hero, Angel's Last Mission, One Spring Night, Hotel Del Luna, etc.)

@Vespertyne29 I agree Kwak Dong Yeon was really good in his role of bodyguard. The trio had great and funny scenes together.

Nokdu Flower was great for the plot.

I don't think we can see eye to eye on this. I don't know about other people's other projects. I'm only comparing between Moonlight and Nokdu since that is what this conversation was about. Nokdu is still spades better than Moonlight in almost every aspect. I'm not shielding anyone and nor can I agree with you list of couples. Nokdu has a spark that Moonlight never had. The chemistry is just the icing on the cake.

I think it's just down to a matter of preference. I loved Moonlight immensely during the time it aired but felt that Nokdu was meh. (I could see how Moonlight is a bit cheesey now).
Also I could not feel the chemistry between the the leads in Nokdu although I loved watching Kim Soh Yun and Jang Dong Yoon. The plot is also not drawing me in. As for Kwak Dong Yeon, for me, he did his best acting in Moonlight. I did not like him in anything else after that (Radio Romance, My Strange Hero, that KBS drama special, Fight For my Way).

I don't see any inconsistencies in Nokdu, it's been made clear from episode 1 that things are going to happen in this story that are NOT light and fluffy (attempted assassinations, Dong-joo having to slice off her braid to save a younger trainee gisaeng from a pervert yangban and then being threatened by that same perv herself, at least three attempted murders). Just because it isn't on the poster doesn't mean it's "misleading" - nearly all fluff sageuks have some kind of darker element.

Clean with Passion has a great couple? Wow, our tastes are sure very different.

@kurama
Just to let you know, you are not alone in your reading of Nokdu. For me, those points started bubbling under the surface after the first couple of episodes.

I love that beanies are passionate about their dramas. However, for me, having a different reading is an important part of the discussion here and I am sad how often those with other readings are not afforded the same respect as those that agree with the majority...only to find Beanies to be shocked when the true nature of a character is revealed later in a drama. We all miss things, and I so appreciate questioning the little issues that are dropped along the way.

Moon Embracing the Sun is super boring to me, but it averaged 33%, highest 42%.

I like VIP. It's a mystery and it's almost kind of noirish the way they've filmed it. Plus, I really like Jang Nara. I don't know why others don't like her but she's a good actress and she's very pretty. I think she and her male co-star Lee Sang Yoon are very popular, well-accomplished senior actors, especially after he started doing variety shows (Master In the House).

I like Jang Nara. I am just too immersed in watching Nokdu right now. I will start VIP once Nokdu finish.

I guess Koreans like the veterans better than young fusion sagueks. Anyway, 6% is not bad... I am just wondering if VIP is worth watching. Thank you for your response

I don't know if the ratings include online streaming numbers, but older viewers might be more likely to watch a show when it airs whereas younger viewers might delay for streaming.

My Country deserves soooo much more than that!!!Also,Nokdu,Extraordinary You,Pegasus Market and Catch the Ghost as well!!!!

Agreed. Exactly what I was thinking. I am a little disappointed my favorites didn't get much.

Indeed,they are such amazing shows it's sad the ratings are sooo mediocre...

Welcome to the current market reality. It is sad but true.

Pegasus Market has been getting into 3s which for 1ep/week and small scale production is amazing. They just nailed the look and let the actors play out...and you can see the fun they are having (its almost more like a stage production than a Kdrama)

P.S. Huge shout out to Wardrobe/Costume. Mi-Ran's 40's-esque outfits suit her and her character so well. Not only do they imply that stoic innocence/ability but her figure really carries them off (not many can).

I thought My Country was rather ordinary. I was expecting a lot more.

Curious as to what you were expecting more from, is it from production, performance, plot? Personally, i find the first two details were done really well. Plot wise the story might do a little more expounding on details that take place off screen. And details that question logic such as death defying sword fights. But it’s not really a huge trade off for me as I still find the story engaging and entertaining. So I don’t really mind the little things.

Hmm, for me it was just sort of predictable - not the main historical characters, of course, because we know what happens with the king, Bang-won etc. in history, but the otherwise story between the 3 young people used the same old tropes and plot devices.

I see what you mean. Aren’t most dramas using same tropes and plot devices though? If I had to be really picky about a drama, I wouldn’t have any shows left to watch LOL

@mei123db All dramas use tropes. Every once in a great while a team manages to put twists or something different and clever to the tropes. I think Tale of Nokdu has turned the tropes a bit and that's why it's so much better than the average kdrama right now.

Those types of dramas are a rare gem. I haven’t seen Tale of Nokdu except for some posts here and there. I assumed it was a little too fluffy for my taste. It looked like it had some kind of gender switch going on too. I’ll probably check it out when I’m in the mood for something different.

@mei123db We must have the same taste as far as kramas that are fluffy - I hate those! Nokdu is anything but fluffy. And normally I don't care for strong women, but the ladies in the widow village are so well drawn and interesting, they each have distinct personalities. The little girl almost steals the show her lines are so good. No, there wasn't a gender switch. He had to disguise himself as a woman for awhile for a particular reason. He did a great job. The first scene shows him in a very masculine way, then when he dresses in a hanbok he could also look feminine. There are scary moments, tense moments, dangerous moments interspersed with humor - and good humor, not too silly but cleverly written.

Now you have me intrigued on the dangerous with humorous moments. I like subtle humor and not those over the top exaggerated ones. Something like Hwi’s nonchalant swagger in My Country and his ragtag brothers are fine. The ladies and little girl seem interesting too.

@mei123db you might like Tale of Nokdu. The main actor is amazing. I almost quit because it seemed too fluffy, but it's taken some dark and intriguing twists.

I’ll look into it then. Most probably after My Country ends because that show has too much stuff going on.

I'm very sensitive to fluff and I didn't see any fluff at all.

PEGASUS MARKET is actually doing OK ratings wise when you consider that it is a cable show (compare it to the rating the next day for MELTING ME SOFTLY, which is on the same cable network). TvN has actually given the world a number of great shows- but you would not have known that this was so from the broadcast ratings. CATCH THE GHOST is also a TvN show.

@oldawyer
Wow. I can so see how these are from the same stable as soon as you list them as all tvN shows. Once you see the commonalities, the limitations of each show become so obvious.

Each is pushing limits of the tvN formula/budget in different ways - and where each variation is unable to sustain it's ambitions is where they start to stumble.

The limitations are there but because they are well understood they often do not make as big a difference as the big network people might like- some very fine drama's have come by way of TvN. Just to name a few: FLOWER BOYS NEXT DOOR, LET'S EAT, A POEM A DAY, MARRIAGE NOT DATING ((one of my very favorite rom-coms), MISAENG, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SECRETARY KIM? and CHICAGO TYPEWRITER. In fact, the two finest K-drama's that I have ever seen came from TvN: GOBLIN- THE GREAT AND LONELY GOD and BECAUSE THIS IS MY FIRST LIFE. While I am surprised that PEGASUS MARKET is not doing even better that may be because of baseball.

Sadly, I think tvN has shifted its funding model even since the dramas you list. This new crop may just be the new tvN normal.

I, like many beanies will totally agree that tvN had been setting the running for a number of years (just look at the End of Year reviews). However, the ever shrinking ratings market (and impact of China's decisions on funding and revenue) means that the model that sustained those dramas is no longer there.

For me, BTIMFL sits in a group of dramas that shows the way forward. Small dramas brilliantly scripted and crafted. In that vein would be GG79 and Just Between Lovers. For me, BTIMFL knew exactly its limitations - simple locations - limited sets, brilliant camera work (as some discussed in the recaps) a script that carried the impact so the actors didn't have to overplay it. It then designed the production around those elements so brilliantly. You can tell how well they pushed the budget envelope - we really only got hilarious chair PPL at the end but we never had to endure the curse of endless subway locations.

P.S. tvN has a long history of opening up new veins in Kdrama. EG 2010's Joseon X-Files - a show I will be forever grateful for.

I was sorta hoping My Country's EP 12 would have a bigger jump in its ratings since it was such a momentous one. But alas, the viewer group has been the steady amount it's been since the beginning.

Stay strong tale of nokdu!!