Forest: Episodes 9-12 Open Thread

Our rescue worker and doctor get closer this week, with events big and small pulling them together. Whether it’s because of panic attacks, rogue lizards, getting to know each other more deeply — or maybe even the forest — our leads have a push and pull relationship that’s beginning to ramp up.

EPISODES 9-12 WEECAP

Last week we left off with Young-jae’s OR panic attack, and San-hyuk comforting her, scooping her up, and taking her out of the stressful environment into safety. I’m a sucker for a good scooping, so I actually really liked this scene. Throw in the positive words of encouragement that San-hyuk delivers to jerk her out of her negative self-talk, and I can actually get behind these two.

The increase in their banter and bickering also equals an increase in their mutual attraction (so says a fundamental law of dramaland) — and we see this in spades this week. My favorite of these scenes was Young-jae losing her mind over a little lizard running around their living room. San-hyuk is covered in pain patches after a brutal day of rescue training, but Young-jae leaps on his back for protection while he tries to catch the lizard. They pause in expectation when he has it in his fist — only to reveal that it’s just the lizard’s tail. Hah, this scene is so ridiculous that I couldn’t help but enjoy it.

Later, they have a heart to heart over some delicious hotteok (my mouth was watering), and despite being a jerk most of the time, San-hyuk actually gives her some pretty decent advice for dealing with her past trauma. He also tells her that knowing one’s own limitations is wisdom, not cowardice, and I honestly quite liked the depth of this conversation. Whether the lizard tail analogy worked or not (still deciding), the midnight snack and conversation sure did.

The forest also has a bigger part to play this week. There’s a secret glen of sorts that I think is supposed to be an old growth section of the forest — its beauty is mesmerizing for Young-jae. But then again, she’s had an appreciation of nature from the beginning, whereas San-hyuk has never seen it as anything but a fight he has to win. Indeed, his corporate scheming is still happening on the side, and he’s secretly orchestrating things to ensure his development project is successful.

It doesn’t take a genius to see the conflict that’s being developed here — San-hyuk’s lack of respect for the forest as a living, breathing place is surely going to bite him in the butt before this thing is over.

Additionally, the forest also holds secrets from his own past. In one of the old growth trees he’s drawn to a familiar hollow, and finds a bunch of little “treasures” that I can only assume are from his secret childhood in Miryeong. Why has he repressed so many of his memories? Why does his sweet auntie continue to lie to him about his past? Why isn’t he more disturbed by all of this? We shall see.

The later at night I watch this show, the more I find I can enjoy it. While we did have some character and relationship development this week, I mostly felt like I was watching Young-jae act nutty (and Jo Boa overact) and San-hyuk slowly letting himself show much she amuses him.

We end this week’s episodes with a kiss scene that’s early in the usual drama placement — and it’s as spicy as it is completely cringe-worthy. Young-jae is still mad at San-hyuk for paying for a bus of patients to go to her hospital, and she mocks him by saying he doesn’t understand people and has never even been in love. Which she thinks she can prove by using her stethoscope to listen to his heartbeat as he responds to her physical closeness…? (Because if you’ve been in love before, you can control your own heart rate?) Ridiculous circumstances aside, it will be interesting to see where we go from here, since it will be more than a little difficult for them to back-pedal after all that kissing.

Tags: , , ,

But what about The Clams?
The Silence of The Clams.

All jokes aside, these episodes were the usual mix of utter boredom, eye-rolling directorial decisions, and excruciating romcom cliches. The lizard scenes made me want to stab something and I'm pretty sure that our female lead might be bipolar and spent most of this in her manic phase. I hate everything and hope to not still be here next week.

You have to be here. I need you to be here. My commitment to the Oppa Law is a lonely, solitary battle. I need you to stop me from breaking the Oppa Law.

He's not my Oppa...

But at this point I think Forest is like childbirth. It's horrific and painful but then I forget and decide to do it again.

I've run out of funny things to say, Elle. Is this a sign that I'm giving up?

Thank god i found this.
proving that i'm still sane.
the drama just plain wierd.
For some unknown reason i keep watching it week after week.
it may sounds bizzare but i did do intense searching for the eng sub ... poor PHJ, he did everything to keep this drama going.

Thanks for this. I always thought other people's kids are more fun.

I actually didn't find childbirth itself that terrible, but the 30 minutes of Forest I watched? Yeah, that was bad. I'm not going back.

Fighting YY. You can do this. We need you. Thank you for doing this for us.

And I love you with all my heart.

Hey, don't be so mean. I was probably one of those vicious Piranha Lizards that the forest is so well known for.

I am still waiting for your Bear of Doom and Rabid Duck to appear.

What I want to see: a sudden descent into horror. Crazy female lead dips her legs in the lake, talks, says something loud like, "WHY ARE YOU A LAKE, LAKE?" , the water ripples, Chucky's Concubine rises from the depths, roars, "I'VE HAD IT WITH YOU, YOU NOISY WOMAN!" , and she screams. The end.

Or zombies. Or since this is a magical forest, a zombie Ent? As @sicarius has often said, everything is better with zombies (paraphrasing a bit maybe).

It appears that the Bear of Doom had a previous engagement, or so it claims. It left a text message referencing something about Killer Klams...

A Zombie ent would be terrifying oh my gosh.
@hebang, the general rule of thumb is; If a show can't get any worse by having zombies, it will probably get better by having them, thus it should have them.
And also because the expansion of the Kingdom Extended Cinematic Universe is important.

That poor clam. I felt its terror.

I searched. It’s possible for some species of fingernail clam to survive after ingestion by ducks, which fly to another body of water and somehow, the clams are left in the forest pond. But I am no forestry expert. Just curious about the clams....

@sicarius
I support you in supporting this Clam horrow show and The Return of Lizard series.

Do you think:
1. The clams turn out to be important somehow?
2. Yet another meaningless aside?

I figure the clams have an enzyme that cures Ebola and Leprosy, that is the real reason the bad guys want the forest. It's all connected to Big Pharma somehow.

@windsun33
Wow!! That’s a good plot..
And I like clams a lot more compared to lizard

There is already a cure for leprosy.

Yes, but does that super doctor know that?

Since she made a big deal about The Clams and then they had a closeup of The Clams and then he took a photo of The Clams, I can only conclude The Clams are important but in this show who knows?

Perhaps this show is not really about a nefarious oppa and an exceedingly incompetent doctor - but about the CLAMS???

On a mountain, there's a forest.
In the forest, there's a path.
At the end of the path, there's a lake.
In the lake, there is The Clams.
But they do not speak.
They lie in wait.
The Clams.
The Silent Quiet Clams.

... The Clams lie in wait for their first victim

@leetennant, your short poem is better than the drama! And the time spent reading it was far better spent than watching the drama...and no don’t ask why I’m watching whatever this is.

The Silence of the Clams: Part 2

Shut
Shut
Shut
Shut

"I'M BAACKKKK!"

Oooh... are we continuing Fake Poet February? Hmmm..... 😈

I support this Clam horror show.

A “rational” thread might be a rare and endangered species of flesh water clams becomes the road block to development.

Yes that makes more sense and will explain why they had cordoned off the lake in the next scene.

Or flesh eating clams.

Death by clam.

Even slower moving than a truck of doom.

Ok, I have to get out of here. I'm not even watching this.

I believe that you meant fresh water clams- which actually do exist.

I don't think the writer is going the "rational" route. Should we think about the irrational instead? Oh wait... we already did.

Or the CLAMS are actually a fish (aka red herring)

He also took pictures of the forest, and we knew it's important. But did we know more than that? Nope. At this point, taking pictures is just a hobby.

And if you look close at many of his shots, you will see that the camera clicks while he is bringing the camera down and moving. Gonna be some great blurry shots of suspicious trees I bet.

I find it disconcerting, as an American, to see these Korean actors with zero body fat. I think they ought to be obliged to gain ten pounds just so we can feel better about ourselves.

😂😂😂😂😂😂. Says me, carrying a few extra...

Don't go to Taiwan or Japan either.

Uh patients bus & power of capitalism has what to do with heartbeats & love ?

Hey at least the forest has a pretty glade & Oppa has arms. I've been immersed in cdramaland these days so men with likeable bodies is like a rare sight.

YY's oppa is hot... I'm disappointed there's no constellations patterned CG fire this week... 😂

You mean all those kissing is not 🔥 enough for you? 🤭

I'll have to watch more ig 🤷🏻‍♀️
The last kisses I saw in ongoing dramas were tepid & snoozy & the others were floppy fish & kid ones.

Thank goodness that TW dramas exist - they show good kisses. The intimate body language 😘😍

Tell me, did Oppa's heartbeat
1. remain the same
2. speed up
3. not beat at all

during the Most Bizarre Kiss Scene Ever?

I say, 3. Oppa does not have a heartbeat. IMdid not hear a thing. This proves that he doesn't have a heart. True to the tag, "A man without a heart". Oppa is the Undead, guys. I knew it.

The Antics of A Deranged Female Lead
- Bug eyes
- Going, WHEEEEEE when she pedals her bike, legs in the air
- Hopping, skipping and humming on the pavement. A. Grown. Woman. Hopping. Skipping. Humming. In broad daylight. On a pavement.
- Screaming and screeching when she spots a teeny tiny little lizard. Poor lizard. No wonder it dropped its tail.
- Leaping onto Oppa's back
- Flirting with Oppa with a maniacal gleam in her eyes - run, Oppa, run.
- Drinking, getting drunk, LOUDLY in a public restaurant - this is a DOCTOR, mind you. In a small, closed community. Unleashing her wild side without a care for her professional image. And she has the cheek to gripe about the lack of patients.

- Dancing maniacally IN A PUBLIC PLACE IN FULL SIGHT OF THE COMMUNITY.

- Jabbering to the trees. Non-stop. And then she starts yakking away at the flowers. By the time she got to the clams, God, I want to cellotape her mouth. Oppa, please, tell her to tone down on the LOUDNESS. It hurts my ears.

-THE CLAM SCENE
Remarkably similar to Oppa's Coffee Scene.
Both bathed in a halo of light.
Except that Oppa had his eyes closed and he was steaming the plant leaves. She, on the other hand, was doing that inane, big-smile-on-face-look-at-me-I'm-so-happy-sweet-beautiful-you-can't-resist-me-oppa look. Grr.

THE KISS SCENE
Thoughts flashing through my head -
Stethescope
What?
Heartbeat
Bizzare
Oppa. Oppa's hand. Wait. Oppa? Did you...*rubs eyes* *blinks*
Kiss. Hot. Long. Real.
Last thought: WHAT WAS THAT?

Oppa has a heartbeat, sorry. I think you were comatosed or something by that point; your higher brain functions shut down by the show so that you were unable to process anything you were seeing. Oppa had a heartbeat. It sped up. No idea what that proved.

Mostly my thoughts during the kiss scene were
God take those things out, that's so uncomfortable, how can you make out with metal prongs in your ears
This is actually a decent kiss scene
Did Oppa just go for some boob action? What even am I watching?

This Director ruins everything.

Oppa is disturbingly different. Oppa is doing things he doesn't do. Oppa is shy. But this new Oppa is not. New Oppa showers. Walks around shirtless. Wears a long towel instead of pants. And Oppa's naughty hand action. What is going on, Oppa? I am so confused.

It's like he's a whole new Oppa!
Confused with you!

I did wonder about the boobs part... it looked awfully close.....

With the thing in the ears, the least the director should do is to give some heartbeat sound effect...

I watched because you were both talking about it, and wow, the complete and utter lack of any chemistry between the leads was unsettling. It wasn't just bad chemistry, it was a void of chemistry. Even the kiss. Yes, YY's Oppa appears to know how to do that, but even with his skill, it felt like a how-to video? (Is he maybe going through the motions to show potential future employers that even with this material he has the technical skill to do the job?)

@missvictrix, your weecap was 10000x more interesting and entertaining than the episode I watched, and I hope DB is compensating you appropriately for sitting through the drama and making you think thoughts about it.

I know what you mean. The way the camera focussed on Oppa, it was more like showing us how good he was at kissing. He took over the kiss, and she was kind of obscured by him? That's what I felt. Because I only remember Oppa kissing, honestly, and forgot her...but, hey, I'm biased, so it could be just me. Did she have the plugs in her ears? I didn't notice that. How awkward.

Well, he lost his heart. That's the premise.

I don’t mind the camera focusing on him. I like Jo Boa’s tiny face but I love Park Hae Jin more...

I feel like this drama is a parody of something, but I'm not sure what exactly.

We need a beanie quiz.

Is Forest a parody of something?
If so, what?

Looking for anything that even remotely is related some how!

Could it be making fun of the forest reality show with Park Shin Hye and So Ji Sub?

It's obviously a parody of Korean Dramas.

It's trying to be a parody but it got lost in the forest. Parody of romcoms, parody of childhood tragedy, parody of childhood connections, parody of greedy corporate interests, parody of coincidences. Clues: PHJ with the coffee and the potted plant and the sunlight, the doctor with his origami, the hospital with no patients, everything about Ms. Enforcement, the whole idea that PHJ can win his deal by becoming a firefighter. A good parody is pointedly clear and hilarious. This parody just waves to you once an episode or so to try to convince you that in being so dumb it's actually clever.

It's inadvertently a parody, accidentally a parody, etc.

I've watched many dramas, but can't think of anything remotely similar. Maybe this is just a documentary of making videos that they accidentally put together for release.

I said that last week, egads, that this is some kind of audition tape for PWJ to canvass his skills. That's why his personality changes in every scene and he switches randomly from romance to action to angst to corporate shenanigans. He's trying to prove he can do ALL THE THINGS.

Makes perfect sense. Truly the only explanation

This reminds me of the kind of drama that the boss lady in Because This Is My First Life would write.

You hit the nail on the head, Elle. This is the only explanation that makes sense. The many Oppas showcased. The mood swings from one Oppa to the next. Take that scene with the Metre Maid Forest Woman. It was bizarre. It lasted very long. I felt like I was watching a new drama where she's the lead. And his face was all cold and icy. So. Weird. But I get it now with your post. This is his agency's production. He is the star. He is what counts. Push as many Oppas as they can, to impress the public. Crying Oppa will appear in the finale, I guess, from the initial preview. I am so dreading that.

I'm just asking, don't get me wrong, I will never attempt this but.. umm.. what is the penalty for breaking the Oppa Law?

Oppa will be sad

And we don't want Oppa to be sad.
NO. NEVER.

That's it? I thought Oppa would be cursed for 9 consecutive dramas or something awful like that.

*WHISPERS* Am thinking of making a run for it. Been thinking about it the past eight hours.

I'm very tempted, I admit!

Fighting @yyishere and @azzo1!!!

I got here late, and you pre-stole all my lines. But I still feel forced to comment on the maniacal lizard misogyny. Not only was it totally over the top insane, it made me wonder how much longer I can keep up with this farce. And the clams..

But I thought you are watching precisely because of these things. Please keep going. We need you and YY to keep going. I don't have any entertainment for wed-thu.

Almost on my last breath. Soon I will be one with the silent clams.

OK, that comment won me over for at least half a day. :D

I want an anaconda to slither in and be a threat, so @yyishere's oppa can showcase his rescue skills.

I wish an anaconda woukd slither in and cart her away. Far, far away. In fact, I wish an anaconda would slither in and cart EVERYONE away.

And the show is just about the anaconda? I think we already have a movie about that. Were there any dramas about it? Hmmm....

The show will be about anaconda trying to eat female lead and male lead comes to the rescue. But male lead gets eaten instead. So female lead shrieked and screamed. Her voice was so loud the anaconda spazzed and released male lead. Male lead tries to burn the snake with his fire hands, but they're not working after he was eaten by anaconda. The snake insides, cured his fire hands.

But now both of them have fear for snakes and the colour green. So...they leave the forest. And the forest is nothing but a bad memory.

I think this show might be a prequel to a new movie "Clams on a Plane".

Hah. I'll watch it even if it's a documentary about fresh water clams. It's 10x more interesting and make a lot more sense than this

There are no Anacondas in that forest. In fact there seems to be no life at all except for a panicked lizard, a cute snake and some clams. In fact I don't think I have even seen a single bug. A bug-free primeval eco-forest - yeah, that happens a lot.

Yes where are the spiders and the mites and the bugs? But no throw in a random lizard.
Maybe the actors had a no bug clause in the contract.
Fire hands, manic dancing great. Bugs - I'm out of here!

And no other people except the doctors, a nurse, female officer and boss ,rescue team members and rich boy's dad. Were there no other people or a village nearby? If not, why do they even need a hospital there?

The lizard was....bad cgi 😅

Because *SOMETHING* ate them all.

I am the only one enjoying it 😁 Because English subs are always late I watched the kiss without knowing what they were talking. I found it the best for sometime in drama land 😁 May be he really kiss not just lovmck his lips like many other does 😉 lizard reaction is also be me 😁

I was watching without the subs but I do see some improvements in the pacing. Ah yes the kiss was indeed spicy and I even checked out Park Hae Jin’s previous kissing scenes with other actresses. I would give this one the highest rating among all...

Wow, just, wow. How do you even check out other kissing scenes?

You Tube probably

Yeah with Kim Min Jung in Man to Man....I prefer this scene, the stethoscope and hand are sexier.

It says something about the writing when beanies thing the scenes are better(?) without the subs...because, I agree, the words that led to the kiss scene...subtracted from the scene.

I watched it raw and understood every other line and you could almost fool yourself into thinking their conversation made sense.
With subs, I have no clue what the writing was thinking.

*the writer was thinking.

"the writer was thinking" Why is that so funny?

Writer was thinking about thinking? Omona! Heirs dejavu 😖

Random but I've always thought it would be fun to "fan" fake sub a show, exactly like this. To make it better ofc.

Yes heirs antifans unite!
I know what you mean sic, I've wanted to try that with a few shows.

So I went back and read the previous recap because I forgot who Young Jae and San hyuk are and what happened. I remember fire hands and singing into a watering can

I feel sorry for both actors. They need a a better writer and director. Put any good actors in those scenes, they would look silly too.

Ok, so the editing is all over the place with this. What is going on?!

One minute Park Hae-jin is in the house. Then suddenly, he's walking in a lumber yard ..... doing what exactly?? Why was he there?! Was it that same day?? Was it another day?? I have no idea but even he looked puzzled.

Then in the next scene he's in the office putting beverage cups on his colleagues' desks. Huh? Did he finish what he had to do at the lumber yard during his 3 second walk there?

The editing in this thing is some of the worst I have ever seen. But perhaps there simply were not enough good shots to even make editing worth while.

Your paragraph just sounds like a coffee CF. 🤭 I am imagining himsaying some cheesy line about coffee. Like "No matter what your day is like or what profession you have, coffee makes you feel better." Or "End your say with coffee!" 🤣🤣🤣

I went back to watch the last 20 minutes of ep 6 and I still don't understand why she pulled out the stethoscope. It is such an awkward kiss scene and I think someone should have thrown the stethoscope away.
Was that supposed to confirm he fancies her or he is trying to carry out his undercover plan to buy the forest.

He fancies her. They like the same coffee.

Of course! How could I forget, the coffee cup that brought them together.

I feel that the stethescope is connected somehow to the clams. I am expecting a dramatic climax where she rescues the gasping clams, whips out her stethescope, and listens to their heartbeats.

[Gasp] Clams CPR! Tell me when it happens. I'll watch that.

Is it too early to start the clam cult?

For CC members: Don't forget to flash your clam tattoo at the door.

Does it has enough presence in the drama? Has it killed anybody or caused anyone to lose their life?

Clam Zombies.

Apparently I'm missing out on ALL the fun... which is clearly in this comment section.

Well, at this point I am hoping that very soon the area will be ravaged by earthquakes, volcanoes, and typhoons and kill almost everyone. But not the Snake Loving Enforcement Officer - anyone that hugs snakes cannot be all bad. On the other hand anyone that goes into total panic over a lizard deserves the worst of fates.

It is getting increasingly hard to keep up with this horrible mess, even as a hate/cringe watch.

Well, we know from the opening act that there will be a forest fire. Only problem is the forest and the forestry warden, are the only characters I find ok.

They have to destroy every single good thing about them. Property of bad dramas.

Fire hands will return! 🔥

I only like the forest, the lizard and the clams.

Poor lizard lost his tail 😢. Hopefully it will regrow next time lizard reappears.

Gawd. Not another shriek and scream!

Oppa had the lizard's tail in his hand, maybe Doctor Young-jae can stitch it back together!

Lol, @azzo1.

That snake taking pic scene was so annoying. I FF it. The no-nonsense Metre Forest Lady suddenly simpers and poses and what the hell is this?

A writer and director who have *NO IDEA* how to present a female forest warden who isn’t afraid of the animals living in the forest in her charge.

The sad part is that was one of the best scenes out of all 4 episodes.

I agree. I can stand the OTP silly scenes coz they are cute. But not forest metre lady. At the moment she is more annoying than being useful.

Our ML asks a very important (🤣) question. How is the forestry company making so much money when they are over paying so much for the logging rights? If this was a US drama, the forest would be filled with illegal crops, or drop zones for illegal stuff, or ... you get the idea. I wonder what will turn out to be the big money maker?

The CLAMS.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Genius! That’s why Ponce de Leon et al never found the fountain of youth! It wasn’t the water, it was the tiny fresh water CLAMS!

I have CLAM on my head so much I read another post as CLAM LANDING ON YOU.

What a nightmare, but I somehow feel that is a better drama.

*chokes whilst laughing*

So, I asked this question in my first post - did Oppa's heartbeat speed up or stay the same in the Kiss Scene? And only @leetennant gave me a firm answer. She says Oppa's heart did beat faster. Which means, the rest of you do not know the answer. Hey, you need to watch this show for me, you hear? I depend on you guys to fill me in with the details. Tell me what's going on.

Why do I want to know about Oppa's heartbeat? Because the scene baffles me. I mean, I was expecting a very loud THUMP THUMP THUMP from Oppa's ripped chest - but what I heard - what I think I heard, I was in a heightened state of numbness by then, you see - was a whimper, soft and swift...I wasn't sure what it was...a heartbeat? A fart, released from Oppa's bowels?

My next question - I ask it every weecap. Does anyone notice that Oppa's chest moves before the rest of Oppa?

Am I... allowed to answer? Or are we waiting for the hordes of other Beanies to respond?

First, I am not going to watch this show for you. I don't love or like anyone enough to torture myself like that. Additionally YY, since you are no longer an errand boy, I can't find a responsible delivery person for my dinner. So, I'm tired and hungry.

Second, what? His chest moves before the rest of him? Is he perhaps the host for a parasitic alien in his chest cavity?

Literally no other human on the planet has noticed the weird 'chest' thing. We mostly respond to YY on this with awkward shuffling and an inability to meet her eyes.

Admittedly there's a superior version of this show whereby PWJ is a Clam Zombie with no heartbeat and a chest that moves before the rest of him aka The Middleman's Trout Zombies. But this is, alas, not that show.

*Imagines Oppa as a chesty trout with bulbous lips kissing Motor Mouth* *Shudders*

Clam Oppa! I like! Oppa eats clams for dinner, turns into Clam Zombie. Oppa lurches through the trees, propelled by his GPS chest, pointing him to his first victim. No guesses as to who THAT is.

*sigh

I miss The Middleman.

What about a Korean remake? Who shall we cast?

I miss the Middleman too.

I can't imagine this working in Korea. They'd insist on some gross Ahjussi romance between Wendy and the Middleman or some love triangle between them and Manservant Neville, who is now a Chaebol.

What is the Korean equivalent of the Middleman's milk-drinking, non-swearing, square-jawed, lone Cowboy shtick?

Maybe Jang Ki-yong as The Middleman? I don't know about Wendy, we'd need a much-younger Jun Ji-hyun-type. I can't think of one off the top of my head. Who's funny but can also portray strong and wry?

I want Jang Dong-yoon to be Tyler Ford and Kim Byung-chul to be Manservant Neville.

Yeah, this didn't get weird. Nope.

Anyway, next week, Oppa sticks out his tongue.

@leetennant @katakwasabi @windsun33 @msrabbit
@hebang
@azzo1
@shazzytree
@korfan

The Oppa Law decrees that I tag you.

Just watched the scene - it was all weird. What director or screen writer would think the heart thumping a turn-on? Yuk and weird.

I have to watch scenes to understand whats going on and contribute to the discussion though. Someone please gif oppas chest moving before the rest of him and the clam scene please, so I can see what is going on without actually watching the drama 🤭.