Drama viewership ratings for the week of Mar. 23-29, 2020

Well, now that a lot of us have plenty of time on our hands, dramaland’s decided to unload six new dramas. And there’s a little something for everybody, whether that be a time-travelling fantasy drama or a, er, cat lovin’ fantasy drama. That said, let’s see how the newbies performed.

Joining the Monday-Tuesday lineup, we had 365: Repeat the Year on MBC and A Piece of Your Mind over on tvN. The former got comfortable around 5 percent, while the latter, matching with I’ll Find You on a Beautiful Day, got comfy around 2 percent. Next up, on Wednesday, was Welcome, also known as Meow, the Secret Boy. Much like its predecessor Forest, it started off okay-ish and then made a quick fall.

Moving on to the weekend, Friday has proven to be quite lucky for cable channel JTBC. After the success of Itaewon Class, revenge drama A Couple’s World came in with the channel’s highest premiere numbers at 6.3 percent and, later, 10 percent. (I’m already looking forward to following this one!) Finally, family drama Once Again and thriller Rugal came in with some decent numbers as well. What a colorful week.

Drama viewership ratings for the week of Mar. 23-29, 2020

Sunday, Mar. 29
Once Again 3 KBS 23.2%
Once Again 4 KBS 26.3%
Rugal 2 OCN 3.9%
Hi Bye, Mama! 12 tvN 5.2%

Tags:

Actually two more dramas began this week: Channel A's Unique! Chef Moon and TV Chosun's Somehow Family. Chef Moon started with 0.9% which isn't bad for such a small channel.

@moonbean,
Thanks for the reminder about UNIQUE! CHEF MOON. It's not on the DB Currently Airing list, and I forgot to look for it.

@pakalanapikake,
Recently I posted the ratings for QUEEN: LOVE AND WAR and TOUCH from smaller cable networks. For some reason it seems to be DB policy not to list TV Chosun or Channel A dramas although it does follow JTBC and tvN dramas.

O/T Re ratings. In the past inkinews.com was my go to site for kdrama ratings but alas it has not had a posting since last July.
My current go to site for kdrama ratings is:

I check ratings from: https://twitter.com/kdrama_news but will bookmark your suggestion as well.

We have watched the first two episodes and we liked it.

I've now watched Ep 1 and look forward to the 'village life' from Ep 2. Just wonder if it'd be like Top Star Yoo Baek (which I like a lot). I have one complaint on whoever is styling Eric - his look is greasy with too much makeup. We all know how handsome and stylish he could be. Not happy!

I have seen episode 1 (how could I not, it was shot where I live it was an episode long commercial for the Gold Coast). I have mixed feelings. It wouldn't have been on my radar at all if not for its shooting location as I am not a fan of Eric and I have usually been disappointed by small channel dramas. On the positive side, the quality of the drama is comparable to networks but the whole bad guy and company stuff completely turned me off. But the end of episode 1 made me mildly curious.

The second episode puts more of the pieces together. I agree that the corporate civil war stuff is unnecessary.

The good news @moonbean is that CHEF is available on Viki under the title ECCENTRIC! CHEF MOON. I really would like to work it in since I am a fan of Go Won-hee.

This is the first I have heard about SOMEHOW FAMILY. All I can find out on availability is that it is available unsubbed at OnDemandKorea.

Go Won-hee was my reason for watching it too.

oh common rating is bad! really really bad. 0.9% touch by Kim bora also got that rating.

SailorJumun, thanks as always for this report! It helps me feel connected to Korea.

Korean revenge dramas usually takes a while to get things moving.
"A couple's marriage" gets right to the point in the first two episodes.
Buckle up because it's going to be a thrilling ride and the ratings will continue to rise with it.

Well done JTBC!

A Couple’s World is going to surpass Itaewon Class' 16.548% to be the second highest-rated JTBC drama.

I was so excited when she found out. I was like "get em girl" lol

It's so good! The husband and his mistress are both so two-faced and brazen. They kind of deserve each other.

I'm glad the rating for Hospital Playlist is on the rise! :D

Aaaaah! Nobody Knows is SO close to 10%!
You can do it show, hwaiting! 💪

ohh, like I´ll find you on a beautiful day rating on a rise. They can reach 3% by the end. such a lovely and warm drama should get allot of love.

PMY acting so mediocre in this drama. she doesnt have chemistry with SKJ, even with that cringey kiss, ewwww. She should stop trying to act pretty and perfect all the time. 3% is pretty low now. specially for PMY, who as claimed by her fans, yo have a star power in korea

Once Again looks interesting with siblings coming home after divorce and it has that cute actor from Top Star. However a 100 eps! Why does that seem like so much when I used to watch shows that went on for years or even a decade?

There are 4 short episodes by week... It's like it was 50 normal episodes.

Not surprised to see A Piece of Your Mind's rating is subpar. It's too slow and too 90s style. It would've worked in winter 1990s, but in modern 21st century, it's just not up with the current time.

I think the subject is very 21st century on the contrary : AI, the way we are connected to people or we are forming new relationships, depression.

I didn't find it slow, in 2 episodes, we already learnt a lot of things but we don't have all the connections for now.

it is a bad drama. JHI cant carry a drama. Chae soo bin, oh no, ...

Why are Memorist and Hospital Playlist in the same slot? tvN has two mid-week dramas airing at the same time??

Memorist airs at 23:00, while Hospital Playlist airs earlier at 21:00.

I see. Thank you. :-)

2.6% drama viewership rating for PARK MIN YOUNG 2020 Drama? i thought she's a star in korea? Does she really have a star power?

Like C commented,

PMY never had star status. All her dramas without a star power male lead have failed to get ratings.

I think the content and style of the drama is more of a factor than star power. Or maybe I am thinking everybody is like me and watches for content rather than actors.

Park Min-young was the reasons for me to watch this- but I quickly give up on a show if it is no good- no matter who was starring in it.

If someone will at least initially watch a show because of the actor or actress then that actor meets the only objective definition of a star. Park Min-young may not be the very biggest star but she is a star.

What is hard to understand is why I’LL FIND YOU ON A BEAUTIFUL DAY is not getting higher ratings. It is a wonderful drama.

I think I'll Find You on a Beautiful Day is a lovely drama, but I'm not surprised by the ratings. It reminds me a bit of Just Between Lovers which also had low ratings.

I agree with you that I do check out dramas for actors I like but if it's a bad drama what's the point? Having said that I have completist disease and have finished many a crappy drama not because of the actors but because I happened to have started it. I am trying to do better after in one end of year review I had many beans to give for all the crappy dramas I have watched. So now I give up sometimes at 2 episodes, sometimes 4, I have even stopped watching things I have seen halfway through.

Miss H is right: JUST BETWEEN LOVERS was another very fine drama with low ratings- and that was a real pity too.

I saw your comment in other blogs too, why your comment always spread negative vibes?

MoonlightYoojung Your replies are always soooo negative and always complaining and not at all constructive. I think this is not the best place for you.

I am happy to see the ratings of Hospital Playlist increase. Though i have full confidence on the amazing Director Writer Team of Reply Series . I was a bit worried about their new format of one episode per week and judging from the first 2 episodes you can understand it might not be everybody's cup of tea as there is no over the top dramatic scenes which usually happens in medical drama. It falls more into slice of life and character study and I am loving every bit of it.

i watched almost all the dramas airing now but a peice of your mind is my favourite so far the plot is slow but very intersting, the acting is good too . I like it very much hope the rating increase in the upcoming weeks.

I am really enjoying “I’ll find you when the weather is fine” - it’s such a surprise drama for me. It is slow paced but be patient and it rewards you with a thoughtful storyline above loneliness, love and family. I just watched ep10 and really like it. Park min young is good at her picks of good dramas usually and Seo Kang Joon - I’m picking him to be someone to look out for in the next few years. His visuals are TOP but so is his acting. I like it!

Therefore, people set aside more day time online.

Currently Airing

Prime-Time Shows This Week
Monday-Tuesday (May 25-26) Wednesday-Thursday (May 27-28) Weekend (May 29-31)