Open Thread #646

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

Happy Friday Beanies!!! I'm so happy to be taking today off so I get a three-day weekend with NO long commute! AND I'm meeting my former co-workers for lunch today and I can't wait to see them all!

Looking forward to Hyena and Iteawon Class!
Hope you all have a wonderful day no matter where you are in the world. Be safe and stay healthy okay?

A virus is far better way to look at the whole system.
Currency notes spreading virus. common sense. I always detested cash and coins. Who knows what hands they passed through. Where they went to and all. I even use sanitizer on plastic cards. A virus can really do bring out real thing among human societies. Its a cleaning virus.

Human history provides you valuable lessons - Make everyone your partner in faults. then no one can point fingers at you. for that you also need to break any formation of a group. Trash Land' villain did that and got to the that position after being at all disadvantages.
Kdrama villains and -ve characters usually are more human than face-painted mainleads and their supporters.

Real life chaebol drama ongoing. https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3073959/south-koreas-nut-rage-heiress-heather-cho-engineering-coup

"South Koreaโ€™s โ€˜nut rageโ€™ heiress Heather Cho engineering coup to overthrow CEO brother
Cho Hyun-ah, as she is known in South Korea, is famous for throwing a tantrum on a Korean Air flight after being served nuts in a bag
She is seeking to wrest control of Hanjin Group, demanding that its leadership, including her brother, is replaced."

Such a predictable sageuk story.

So basically Hyena episode 3

yeah :D :) reversed gender??

Happy Friday beans!

After being sad in discord and on my fanwall, I have to share my sadness on the open thread too ๐Ÿ˜ญ.

Shin Sung Rok has stepped down from upcoming drama Penthouse due to schedulling conflict. I read the drama was originally planned for an August slot but it has been pushed to October 2020.

I know it's unavoidable and probably for the best. I also don't want SSR to overwork. But I do want a new drama. I was so looking forward to SSR returning to dramaland. Eventhough his last drama just ended a few months back....it feels like ages ago for me #dramaticlikeroyalhotness๐Ÿคด๐Ÿป.

Anyways...I wish all the best for the remaining cast and the crew! Hopefully filming runs smoothly in the future. Also...maybe SSR can appear as a cameo. Hehehe ๐Ÿ˜Š

Awww... Maybe you can rewatch to feel better? TLE or Perfume? Or Vagabond? :P He has plenty of dramas for rewatch. :)

Heh. I suspect he's prepping for more musicals, I don't have high hopes of seeing SSR in dramaland this year. I might do a drama rewatch while waiting. I also have Master in the House and Double Casting. I guess I'll shift to variety shows now ๐Ÿ˜†.

He's adorable in MITH! And I've been enjoying his singing. :)

I feel your pain (well, maybe not so deep as yours) because I was also waiting for this :/

So I was listening Eurovision's songs, I think this program settles down, there are less crazy songs than the other seasons. It's still pretty funny to see Australia in the competition.

I was happy to hear that Switzerland chose a song in French because a lot of songs are in English.

Even Australians don't know why Australia is in the competition. We have this conversation annually.

First time I hear Australia is in Eurovision. Crazy๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I'm sad my post is awaiting moderation and I don't know why or what I typed wrong ๐Ÿ™. I'm already sad I have no new SSR drama to look forward to. Now I'm sadder ๐Ÿ˜ญ.

Have a good day beans and stay healthy.

The coronavirus is beginning to shut down current k-drama productions like Hi Bye Mama and other entertainment such as concerts and movie ticket sales.
It has started a cascade effect of fear throughout entire Asian economies.

I was wondering when that would happen with series. What are the networks going to do for content if productions shut down? There's always 'reruns', which I haven't seen networks do for years and years.

Be careful, be safe, beanies.

I just wanted to remind everyone that despite March being a month of tough times it is also Music March and today happens to be Day6 of Music March which is the best day of all days and you should definitely check out the fanwall for Day6 recommendations.

Good Day(6)!

I DID POST i just dont tag people

Wow you're quick, I realised that and deleted about 20 seconds after posting!

I'll check the fan wall now
*scuttles off*

Happy Friday~ whew it was a long week for me. I have a massage scheduled tomorrow and can't wait for the weekend to begin!

I am trying to figure out what to watch next after Crash Landing. I took a break, but now I'd like to get back into my usual schedule kdrama binge watching.

A couple I have my eye on:
1) Itaewon Class
2) When the Weather is Nice
3) Hyena
4) Reply Series
5) Hi Bye, Mama
6) Second 20's

I think I plan to watch the first episodes of all the above and see which ones pulls at me most. But if you have any suggestions/recs, please let me know. I'm trying to not watch anything too heavy/dark/depressing.

I checked the first 2 episodes of When the weather... I found it super pretty and soothing. Plus, it's crowded with goofy and potentially adorable characters, I have great hopes for those Bookclub reunions! On a shallow note, I find it oddly relaxing to stare at people in fluffy knitwear and at Seo Kangjeun's pretty face... the bad news is that you need a premium subscription or a good antivirus if you want to watch beyond ep. 3, so there's that!

SKJ pretty face, yesssssssssss.
Oh, my sweet puppy!!

"On a shallow note, I find it oddly relaxing to stare at people in fluffy knitwear and at Seo Kangjeun's pretty face"

I love this, lol.

I waited so long for this and only watched the first ep so far. But I'm here for fluffy sweaters and faces.

Hyena isn't depressing.

Hyena is on my list too... Netflix in my region is so frustrating, shhh

Frustrating... you're being too nice, brrrrrrrr

Don't watch Itaewon Class then. It is heavy, dark, AND depressing. Itaewon Class is a really hard watch for me. It makes me really, really angry, and most all of the characters are unlikable.

Oh wow I so disagree! I just finished episode 11 and am so overwhelmed with positive emotions. Sure negative things happen and the preview for the next episode makes me really nervous, but I absolutely love what this show (and Saeroyi) is all about. Acceptance, tolerance, being good to one another. Park Seo Joon is my absolute favorite and I think this is my favorite version of him. This show hurts my heart because of how much I love it. But that's just me, lol. I totally get where you're coming from.

yes, totally disagree. Itaewon Class is fantastic!

When the Weather is Nice is a nice drama. If you are used to a fast paced show, then I don't think you would like this. However, the characters and backstories are nice.

HYENA!

So I put a friend's address into my phone and the travel instructions say it would take 16 days to walk there. Seems a bit optimistic to me -- we're talking Los Angeles suburbs to Seattle suburbs. I'm not about to test it myself, but if any of you want to try walking from Seattle to LA I'll give a free donut to the first one to arrive here :)
If you walk LA to Seattle you have to come back to get the donut -- I don't deliver that far.

It probably assumes you walk 24/7 with no bears along the way.

you don't want to come to Seattle right now... they just started testing and the numbers are going to climb -- downtown is thin of workers, freeways (the Seattle gridlock!!) are wide open, the University of Washington is going online starting monday, microsoft, amazon, other businesses encouraging employees work remotely from home.

toilet paper is scarce at times, sanitizers are hard to find, masks (N95) even harder to find...

weird, like waiting for the zombie apocalypse...

Wait for it...
and watch it soon on Kingdom 2

The walking will be faster though since less traffic.

I've been thinking about you @spazmo and hoping you're doing well. I wish they'd closed schools in Western WA immediately and taken some notes from what South Korea is doing (drive through testing makes so much sense).

we're still waiting for all the "enough tests for anyone who wants to be tested" as trump lied about stated...

the number of confirmed cases just surpassed 100 and death toll is at 16 or 17 in washington state as i type. it is just beginning...

I'm here too. South of you.

now the death toll is 19.

That is so sad. It hit a particular county and nursing home there pretty hard. That has to be really hard for the families of those residents.

U.S. news: the first corona virus victim in no. Calif - right down the street from me. The Rocklin firefighters in quarantine? Right down the street from me. Cleaning the schools where the firefighters' kids go? That's where my daughter went to school. It certainly is a weird feeling.

All the best of good health to you @linda-palapala! Keep safe.

I'm in the bay area, and we have confirmed cases everywhere around us too (in the city I work, in the city I live). Lots are being in quarantine. Life is as usual, people seem to keep their routines. But as you said, it's a weird feeling.

@linda-palapala @halfmoon

Wishing you continued good health!

Thanks! You know, some of us have really good health insurance. For the rest of us, it's "thoughts and prayers..."

Really good health insurance is wonderful; not needing insurance is priceless. Hope you donโ€™t need it!

Are you still going to work? The 2 ppl I know from Seattle now work from home. One works for Amazon and said his last day in the office was like a ghost town.

Best of good health and Keep safe. I am in Southern California. I just hope it will not hit South Orange County.

Yikes! that is crazy scary!
I'm waiting for the virus to spread down the valley here in Oregon and wonder what will happen here.
So stay safe and wash your hands!!!

oregon declared a state of emergency today, right?

Yes she did. And I didn't hear about it until this morning (Monday) after 7 cases were found.
this world is totally crazy today.

hope u n ur family are all ok..take care

On another front, I was thinking about female characters in dramas and who is my favorite.
My favorite character is Lin Xi from NIF2. Here's a nice article about her:
My least favorite right now is the second female lead in the C-drama "Everybody Wants to Meet You". They just took the template for "most annoying female role ever" and plugged her in.
My most controversial favorite female (controversial because 99.9% of you hated her) is Jung Hae Joo from Memories of the Alhambra. I liked her because I could really relate to her situation, her reactions and I thought she was a more real character.
How about you? Who's your favorite female, your least favorite, etc?

My fave is, hands down, Scarlet from Search:www ๐Ÿ’š

Interesting - I haven't watched WWW. What is it you like about her character?

Scarlet is honest, loyal and fierce. She is amazingly supportive of the people she likes, and stands up for the weak. She's both a competent professional and the ultimate squeeing fangirl when she's watching dramas. Plus, she has a great sister-mance with both her friends, and the cutest romance with her idol... And on top of that, she's absolutely stunning and dresses boldly. Oh, I really adore Scarlet! ๐Ÿ˜š๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’š

Even with all these perfect traits, she isn't a Mary Sue?

Aren't Mary Sues supposed to be annoyingly perfect? I found her super endearing. But, of course, it's a question of personal taste! If you get around to watch Search www and like it, give me your feedback about the 3 FLs (the three of them are interesting) I'll be happy to talk about it ๐Ÿ˜Š

A Mary Sue is a character who is good at everything without effort and whom everyone loves for no reason (the only ones who don't are jealous).

Bella Swan is a quintessential Mary Sue (she was even the bestest at being a vampire without effort).

I haven't seen much of WWW because I dropped it but Scarlet is competent professional because she works her f'ing ass off and she is abrasive and has an anger management problem. So, no, she is most definitely not a Mary Sue.

Favorite depends on my mood...

In a โ€œcertainโ€ mood, Go Hye-ran from Misty
In a Makjang fest mood, either Mo Soek Hee or Lawyer Han from Graceful Family

Surely the saddest character in a long time was Hyang-mi from Camellia.

Hmm....I haven't seen any of these!

Those three are kickass leads and villains.

I ended up really liking what Camellia did with Hyang-mi.

I really appreciated Son Dan-biโ€™s performance as Hyang-mi. Things that just seemed off, fell into place as her story unfolded. Wonderful performance.

Hum... It's hard.

I like Suspicious Partner's Eun Bong Hee. She was strong but still showed her wounds and she was not the usual innocent girl who never dated.

I like Extraordinary You's Eun Danoh. She was super cute and funny!

For the ones I didn't like... all the women in Goddess of Marriage. I think I never watched a drama with so frustrating characters.

I feel like this a question is aimed at me, since I've written not one but three pieces on this question.

Jo Jia from INAR and Son Soo-jung from My Strange Hero are two I loved - in fact all the female characters from INAR are good, it's like the show's thing.

One I've never mentioned before that are older are Cheon Song-yi from My Love From the Star and Jang Hye-sung from I Can Hear Your Voice.

If I listed out the ones I disliked I would be here forever. But I did drop MoA because its crying pot plant made me want to kill myself. And I lasted less than 20 minutes into She Was Pretty because of that female lead. I need my female leads to act like adults and have agency but also have a role in the text all the way through. So almost every Sageuk female lead before 2019 goes onto my hate list.

I like the full spectrum of females, i.e. some are more feminine than others, but got tired of the pouty and/or females who yell a lot and are aggressive. I don't like the term "strong" female characters. I just like a mixture of every type of female on the spectrum.
Ahem, I usually watch dramas with a lead male (and prefer two lead males, they're more at ease and comfortable with each other). Of course, this is all a generalization as there are always exceptions.
And no, it wasn't aimed at you (necessarily!).
Still, my favorite character is Lin Xi in NIF2. She was adult, serious, quiet and soft spoken, wise and such a great friend and advisor to PingJing, his confidant, but confident in her own right, had her own mind and goals (which he in the end followed).

I haven't seen NIF or NIF2. But we've had this convo many times before, I know we have different things we looks for in female leads. Like Ally, if we agreed I'd wonder if the Universe was broken.

Not sure if db is still flipping out about links but I have written a trilogy on this subject:

I'm Not a Pot Plant

I Kill Pot Plants

The Year the Pot Plant Died

No, I knew there was somebody out there but I didn't remember it was you who wrote on the subject. And yes, I've usually disagreed with your likes and dislikes of female characters, but can't give you specifics because I don't remember the specifics!

Re: Lin Xi of NIF2. I guess it was because they complimented each other, i.e. made each other whole. They were equal partners.

Ah, another female I really liked was Madame Yu of the Jiang Clan, and Wei Wu Xian's step mom. WWX is the protagonist, and Madame Yu hated him because he did everything better than her real son. She could be a real b****. But when it came to protecting her family, wow, she was the ultimate tiger mom. Gave her life for them. For someone who started out as a character you hated and you thought she was going to be a one-dimensional evil character, the writers made her sympathetic at the end.

Choi Yoo Jin from K2. She was the villian, but honestly I rooted for the entire time for that drama. The delivery of that character was amazing. Do Bong Soon from Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. I mean come on, she was strong, but also a fun character to watch. Least favorite, Park Hye-Ran from Fight My Way. I love Lee Elijah, but her character needed some help. The mom from Something in the rain. She ruined her daughters relationship.

Choi Yoo Jin was an amazing character and I don't care what that drama tried to tell me - she was the real protagonist and the real hero of that show.

My favorite female of all times is Lee Ji an from My Ajusshi

My least favorite are actually two: Uhm Da da in "My absolute boyfriend", and Shin Yun Hwa from "Level Up".

Is there anyone out there who liked Uhm Da da??

I love her so much too.

There are many female characters that I love a lot. A particular one is Dan Sae Woo from Wok of Love.

Oh me too, I loved her character and I loved that romance too. I'm still so sad that show got a lobotomy.

I never watched the last few episodes of Wok. If I remember correctly it started getting too silly??

If anything, I thought the writers were forced to reign it back in and play it safe.

I love WoL and have rewatched it twenty times. I don't know about lobotomy or too silly.

I loved her too!

I didn't even realise what categorises a good female lead until I came across a show that made all the women... Just normal! These women weren't put in a category, it was like seeing my friends , neighbours or anyone I've actually met in my real life. These 3 women were wacky, cracked jokes, fiesty and just very very normal. I'm talking about Arsenal Military Academy. These women weren't just a character on paper who either cross dressed, or one was a superstar and one was a sincere friend working as a waitress, they were much more than their character descriptions. They were normal women I enjoyed seeing on screen. I know many people won't get what I mean but for me these women weren't put in a category, they weren't only limited to their character descriptions but they behaved like normal people which writers forget that women can be interesting normal people too. This show made me realuze that most women I've come across in k/c dramaland just limuts women to their character descriptions and nothing more. Not here.
If I have to say kdrama, I loved all 3 women in Be Melodramatic.

Didn't watch Arsenal Academy, but loved Be Melo!

Last year's dramas were good for women: the three leads in Search: WWW were amazing (I can't decide which one to choose), and also in Be Melodramatic. I specially liked Lee Eun Jung.
I couldn't stand Park Kae In in Personal Taste (Again, how could I finish that drama...)

I have two favourites from shows I've watched so far. Haven't watched most of the shows you'll have mentioned though.
Kang Sun-yeong from Chief of Staff- it was just awesome watching her play all the old men politicians. Her rise to the top was also realistic in my opinion, its really not easy surviving in politics.
I also love Choi Ae-ra from Fight for My Way. I think she comes closest to a normal person, inspite of being shown to be a crazy person in the show! :P

I just finished Money Game and I must say it is worth watching for some reasons.
I think that Lee Hye-Joon in MG is the female character that I find fascinating. She is subdued, always wears plain sometimes a bit too big clothes to wear. She wears little make up. And she is from a poor background and her financial situation only made her graduated from a third ranking university. Despite of her financial handicaps, she passed the entry exam for a flying color. Yet, in her department, she is prejudiced and criticized for being female and her subpar educational background. Yet she does not stop voicing her concerns and her thoughts to other colleagues. She holds her principles high and mighty and never wavers while other her colleagues did fell into corruptions and self misery.
Besides she captured the heart of Eugene Han, a sexy villain. How come did he fall for her who is plain looking( no make up and fashionable clothes) with flat chest ? ? I think he finds her shining through and through because she had good morals and principles despite of the fact that both of them came from similar backgrounds. She was indeed a goddess who eventually turned Eugene Han into a nice man.

Anyway, I really hope more people will watch Money Game. The first episodes would put off the most viewers cause it is all about financial topics that is over our heads. However, it is happening now in the global economy and finance. The drama is about how and if governments should intervene financial economy and how predators such as Bahama rigged the market. It has been happening all over the world and it would get worse. We have to bring in someone like Lee Hye-Joon as government officials to save our countries!!

One of my favorite female leads is Jo Soo Ji from Lookout and Lee Si Young played her perfectly. Smart, tough, angry, killer fighting skills, loyal friend, loving mother, loving daughter.

I love her too!

Good Friday, Beanies!
I'm getting super excited that next month I'm going to NY! It will be my first time in the US, and I'm psyched about visiting all the places I've always seen on movies and series. We only have a week, so we'll spend it doing all the typical touristy stuff... Fingers crossed for the trip not to be sabotaged by covid19! (no kidding, I'll get there, even if we need to climb on that plane dressed up as astronauts).
But besides typical NY stuff, I'd like to use the chance to try some Korean food, because where I live there's nothing like that. Could you Beanies give me some tips?

I'm absolutely ignorant about Korean food. Tips about places to eat would be brilliant, but I'd also thank basic information about what to eat, in which combinations, how many side dishes, etc... I really mean it when I say I know nothing about it, any information is welcome! (*rubbing pleading hands)

We have a few Korean places here and lots of grocery stores carry Korean items, but I've found in the U.S. (in my area only) everything is loaded with sugar, as if we Americans don't know how to eat without something being sickeningly sweet.

Well, all these beaniebox ads made me really curious about Korean snacks, so I'll definitely have a look on grocery stores ๐Ÿ˜‹

Not from NY, so can't give you food advice. But I've travelled to NY once for 3 days, and I didn't have time to eat! Too busy getting around from place to place trying to visit all the places on my list.

Hope you enjoy your trip! :)

I'm going to NY in May!! So I'll be watching for any advice as well. Too bad we aren't going at the same time!

@mindy, I'll keep you posted if I find some unmissable Korea-related places in my trip!

Sorry, no suggestions, but have fun !!!

Good Korean food in NY. Just yelp what you want and you will get good recommendations.

JeJu Noodle Bar in the West Village is on my listโค

I love visiting NY. Unfortunately, I have no food recommendations because when I've been there, I've mainly lived on pretzels and bagels (which I guess I do recommend, lol). Do the touristy stuff, and have fun!. One of my favorite things to do is sit in one of the parks and just people watch. I hate Time Square, but love the NY Public Library, and the Statue of Liberty looks like the just like the pictures of the Statue of Liberty just bigger and closer in person, but I really found Ellis Island much more interesting.

@flyingcolours I can help with the allll the foods! Where will you be in NYC? (Tag me so I'm sure to see your reply!)

@missvictrix, thanks! We're staying in Brooklyn

Hmm I don't actually know about K food in Brooklyn but if you'll be in Manhattan/midtown at all, K-town is a must (32nd street between 5/6th ave but it's growing now and extends some streets) - there's K-beauty, coffee shops, all the life-size Exo/BTS cut-outs you want, noreabang if you dare, and of course, restaurants every other door. They come and go pretty fast in that neighborhood, but a good rule is the longer the line to get in, the better the food is ^^ Over the more trendy looking places, the best ones are more "mom and pop" looking. (I can give you some names if you want). K-town has gotten a little touristy these days compared to how it was years ago, but it's some of the best Korean food and definitely really fun to explore.

Hope this helps! Have a great time :)

It does, @missvictrix! This sounds like so much fun, I'm clapping my hands with excitement, yay! Thank you so much!

NYC has a korean street on 32nd street between 5 and 6avenue. Depending on your preference you can pick. Some are specific to BBQ which a lot of people love. Places like Five Senses have a variety I like their bibimbap. They also provide some sides for the table - like kimchi etc.
there are also bubble tea places on the same street. Also an H Mart if you want to buy a Melona bar.

Korean street, BBQ, bibimbap, kimchi, bubble tea, melona bars... Thanks a million, @mayhemf, I'm copying it all into my notes! (*finger hearts)

I second Five Senses! There's also a great little kimbap place called Emo.

I second the kimbap at Emo! Don't forget to get korean fried chicken! There's a bb.q chicken in K-town that played Goblin all the time when I was there last year.

If you're interested Jung Hae In documented his NYC trip in "Jung Hae In's Walking Report." He's a cutie.

Thanks! I've watched a couple of JHI's clips on YT, and definitely will ramp up as the trip approaches... He is a cutie!

NYC really is the greatest sometimes. โค๏ธ

"Spontaneous Celine Dion Sing-A-Long Takes Over Subway Station"

Do post photos of what you eat! :P

I sure will! Count on my NY K-themed pictorial on the Beaniewall! ๐Ÿ˜‹

Hi Everyone and Happy Healthy Weekend! I've been slumping more than usual because my attention is taken up by COVID-19 events. After reading and watching news/vlogs about it, there's very little time left for dramas. I'm praying for all the brave people overworking themselves to help the more seriously ill. May our healthcare workers be able to keep strong and well protected themselves. The news is that among the younger (I believe below 50 years of age) people who succumb to the virus, there's a sizeable group who are healthcare workers. ๐Ÿ™

The other issue that takes my attention is the online 'bullying' to put it mildly, of Chinese actor, Xiao Zhan. The unfairness of the whole fiasco is beyond belief. More well-balanced, reasonable and mature fans / international fans continue to support him. You can check my fan wall for the discussion on this.

The dramas that I watch on and off...
Kdrama: I'll Find You on a Beautiful Day. I'm finding this healing already, just by watching and enjoying the slow pace. Such a nice break from RL. It's meant to be savoured and not to have a fast paced plot, so it's normal to think that nothing much is happening, but actually, there is a lot happening interiorly. Slowing down means being able to enjoy the poetic look, sound, feel and actual poetry/stories in the show, and to appreciate the emotions that are unspoken.

Cdrama: Ever Night 2. I'm sort of watching and sometimes FFDing. I'm trying to understand what's happening to Sang Sang (is she embracing her Hades side?) and what dear old Sage, who loves to eat, has in mind to help or to let her go. I find that it's rather too much of a love story when it should be more a saga of the good outwitting misguided, cunning, self-seeking folks. Show will, I feel, work better if romance took a backseat.

Cdrama: Under the Power - Another show that might have worked better with less romance and more investigation. I admit that I was fed up with the tsundere-ness of the ML which put me off, and so I jumped loads of episodes to see the OTP after they'd finally fallen in love. I do not feel compelled to keep watching, so it's still going to be a hit or miss with jumping episodes.

Cdrama: I've Fallen for You - light fluff and FL who is supposed to be great in 'forensics', but who is so often not all that bright. It gets tiring. However, there are funny lol scenes, and I watch to see the ML grow up past being a spoilt brat. I'd like a lot more kickass fight scenes, and less tricking or rescuing the girl scenes, but this meant to be a romance laced with many tropes. They are not too badly executed however and the light fluffiness and fun makes up for any minor irritation.

My heart hurts every time I think about Xiao Zhan. He's such a beautiful person and doesn't deserve any of this hate. I just hope it doesn't affect his future work.

South Korea, I heard, is doing very well in testing people. They're testing like 10,000 people per day

Some *other* coronaviruses just cause common cold symptoms.
Most common colds are caused by a completely different family of viruses called rhinoviruses.
Coronaviruses are called that because they look like corona / crowns under the right kind of microscope.
So what do rhinoviruses look like under a microscope? :)

Giggling at image of a bunch of nosy viruses under the microscope

Now can we persuade the people who like to take rhino horns for "medicine" that they should take rhinovirus horns instead :)

A rhino? A huge nose? I give up...

You know I have to google this, right?

As it turns out, it didn't get its name from what it looks like. "rhin" means "nose", rhinovirus infections cause the common cold.

I saw the images too and they are SO pretty!

I've been taking a break from current dramas to catch up on some old ones from 2009-2010, and it made me realize how much k-dramas have changed. Essentially, they have been globalized and are no longer made for a strictly Korean audience. They're a big money maker and everyone, e.g. Netflix, wants to cash in on them. It's not entirely a bad thing. I got halfway through Creating Destiny and I cringe at the blatant racism, xenophobia and despotic authoritarian parental attitudes.

But watching So Ji Sub's old dramas (Cain and Abel, Road Number One)--and thinking about a couple of his even older ones that I have already seen before (I'm Sorry Love You, What Happened In Bali) reminded me of something more recent dramas had made me forget: nobody did sad like Korea. For some reason Koreans loved dramas that made them cry, and the more heartbreaking it was the better. That was their niche in the world of film and television and I feel like it is something that is now lost. Again, not entirely a bad thing for us viewers who would prefer to be happy at least part of the time. But it did have me feeling nostalgic.

...โ€ nobody did sad like Koreaโ€...

Same thought here.

OMG When I got into Kdramas, I thought they were lovey dovey romances. Then I started watching an old So Ji Sub drama (I'm sorry Love you and What happened in bali) and was like nooooo....I can't. It was so depressing! I mean the acting was hella on point and I understand why he is my favorite actor, but damn. Now, I miss those types of dramas. They were raw and to be honest hard to watch. I did notice that there was more abuse compare to now.

I need to assess the extent of your love for So Ji Sub so I can decide if I need to deal with you on my father's behalf.

Is there anyway you could ever take your dad on a surprise trip to a So Ji Sub fan meeting? If he does fan meetings.

That probably wouldn't be my Dad's thing @bcampbell1662 although I should do something SJS-related for his birthday as a joke. The fact my Mum calls him, "your father's Korean boyfriend" continues to crack me up.

@leetennant there is this. I dont even know how I know he wrote a book.

Hmmmm.....
@bcampbell1662

I love him! Mainly for Oh My Venus, but I didn't consider myself a real fan until I watched his earlier work and damn. It was hard to watch from the intensity.

So Ji Sub is such a wonderful actor!

han

I have watched Sorry I Love You so many times.

Yes, nobody did sad like Korea. When I first watched the older dramas like Autumn in My Heart and What Happened in Bali, I had absolutely no idea how it was gonna end. I was stunned. It was so addicting but I couldnโ€™t believe how it ended. But thatโ€™s the charm of Hallyu I guess.

Hi beanies. It's been long since I've commented on an open thread. Exams are almost over. Hyena is turning out to be super engaging. I absolutely enjoy it. Also I discovered Tom Daley and his vlogs. The ones featuring his husband are sooo adorable. I'm not a person who feels comfortable sharing things online because it makes me feel like exposing your life to the world makes it more fragile, but man I sincerely wish that these two are exactly the same in real life as they are in their videos. Their story honestly makes me believe Otis Milburn's words " Love is just dumb luck" and Tom and his husband are really lucky.
Also Happy Women's Day beanies. I sincerely hope that each day someone broadens their understanding to the various roadblocks that lie in a woman's path.

Happy weekend Beanies!

I am late because I had to rewrite my Open Thread post. I got an unexpected call this afternoon andโ€ฆ

I.HAVE.A.JOB!!!!!! ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰

The regulars among you already know about the ghosting company sequel that took place November-January, where I was this close to being hired but got rejected instead? Wellโ€ฆ the acquaintance that tipped me off about the vacancy and everyone else involved in the recruitment process (colleagues, recruitment office,โ€ฆ) made it their mission to drop my name around the manager often enough to make him see the error of his ways and this afternoon he swallowed his pride and called with an interesting proposition. ๐Ÿ‘‚๐Ÿ‘‚๐Ÿ‘‚

I was originally rejected because they were not sure I would live up to their expectations in the long run and they only hire permanently. For that reason they have decided to let me work on a weekly basis through the extern temporary employment agency they collaborate with, so that I can slowly grow professionally and help them out in the meantime. Eventually, I might get hired permanently, or I might have to leave after a week already, but the experience and money are more than welcome, no matter how long/short it takes.

So I have one week left to finish and prepare everything before I start on Monday March the 16th. It clearly has not fully sunk in yet, because I am not crying (yet). I do hope for the Beanieโ€™s sake and mine that my unemployment woes finally end this evening after nearly five years! ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™ ๐Ÿ™

@turtuallysarcastic, that's great news! I'm really really happy for you! You'll do wonderfully, I wish you the best of luck for this new adventure. Fighting!

Thank you for your best wishes!

Congratulations, Turtie! This is certainly a welcome good news that I need today. I guess that leave roughly 10 days to watch all the dramas that you want? ;)

๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅ• so that you will feel better! Nooo, do not tempt me! I promised myself last OT I would not start anything new for a while! ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿข

Thanks for the ๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅ• ๐Ÿฅ•. Definitely need it today!

Hehehe... good for you for having resolve! Fighting!

day6 truly the best day

jokes aside i hope the jobs fun your coworkers are nice and everything goes well!!

Day6 is no joking matter with me.๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you!

Congratulations, and Fighting! You can do it!

Thank you for the encouragement!

Congratulations!