Open Thread #649

Happy Friday everyone!

Here is your Open Thread, which is here for you to chat about anything you want, whether it be drama-related or not. Nothing’s off-topic here! Spoilers may be rife, so proceed accordingly.

After several dramas ended, I had time to read articles and interviews with various k-actresses and idols about their careers. There was an almost universal theme to their stories: there was constant pressure to succeed after their debuts. Their lives were controlled by their career path. They were isolated from the real world to concentrate on mastering their craft. They all felt "miserable" in their 20s. Part of it may have been the society pressure to get married by age 30, start a family, etc. But driven performers continued to work through the pitfalls of cultural bias and fame. When they got into their 30s, they said that their lives were much better. While some did marry (which caused their careers to be put on hold or diminish), others did not. It seems the single career women are more content with their careers than a societal norm. However, this leads to various levels of criticism, gossip, malicious comments, loneliness and anxiety. Also, once in their 30s, there is a new fear that their cherish work will dry up. It leads to taking more risks, professionally and personally.
The takeaway from this is that being a k-celebrity female is not the life of a gilded princess. There are plenty of hardships. Even at their peak of popularity, they feel small or miserable. It is like the entertainment industry has institutionalized a celebrity prison: a place where an actress or idol cannot live a normal life because of the high standards and expectations put upon them.

Which is very sad, because we love them so much!
Why couldn't they have a little bit of a normal life? Acting is a job, they should be able to act and then go home and have a life, why do they have to be tapped into popularity and commercials and money and being on a pedestal where only other few are, just for a little while and then being oppressed by their choices during those years?
It is upsetting.

Heya! Checking out you guys, hope you stay at home and bingewatch kdramas! Then you can give me a list of To-watch list after this fight is over! Stay safe!

Oh, a list can be a long thing.
I would give you a couple of titles, although they are hard to binge, because you always need time to recover, but still... here it is:

My Ajusshi
Mother
Just between lovers
Prison playbook

Lighter:
Your house helper
Avenger social club
Thirty but seventeen

Funnier:
Pegasus market
Modern farmers
Marriage not dating

Recommendations for favorite OST???

I typically watch one drama at a time and even then, months can go by when I find something I want to watch. I just discovered the song “All for You” from Reply 1997. Yes, I know. How could I have missed it! It occurred to me that I probably have missed out on some other great OSTs because I don’t watch that many dramas so thought I would ask all of you for recommendations of your favs.

I am looking for songs that are bouncy and cheerful like “All of You.” Something that gets you up from your chair and makes you want to move. Because right now I am finding it hard to get motivated to do much of anything stuck in my house. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Check out AKMU's 200% and Give Love. These have the same vibe as All For You 😉

From now on by Kim min sung ( weightlifting’s fairy...)
Bom by Roy Kim

MAMAMOO's "Make it WOW" from Search:WWW

Not OST recs but some kpop I like to put on while walking:
Love Shot by EXO
Countless by SHINee
Gashina by Sunmi
Beautiful by Ikon
Face by Woosung

Waikiki Guest House has a bouncy OSTs.

Or what about Tiramisu Cake from To.Jenny?

Tiramisu cake and Giriboy's Hyena are super catchy

Be Melodramatic has a nice OST too!

I love All the songs from the drama shut up flower boy band. Esp love jaywalking.

Cheese and the trap

The Package
You are my Baby by B1A4

Itaewon Class
Start by Gaho
돌덩이 by Ha Hyun Woo
No Break by the VANE

Thank YOU to EVERYONE who took the time to post a recommendation. I am so excited to listen to all these songs!! Have a great weekend!!

Fight for My Way
Woohoo Waikiki
Graceful Family

@sparky,
I am probably the last person who should be making a musical suggestions but hey, why not!
My recommendation comes from the recently finished ITAEWON CLASS and may fit the bill.
I think the the music in IC was terrific and maybe because (how shall I say) things got a little heated on the recaps the music has been overlooked.
My recommendation from IC is “Start Over” sung by Gaho (great voice!). It has an anthem quality to it.

LOVE that song!

Snsd's song from CINDRELLA MAN It makes me move

Hi to all quarantined Beanies

Just came across a what’s app fwd that covid is mentioned in Kdrama My secret Terrius ep10 post 53 mins with a clip 🧐
It’s true Power of Kdramas
# stay safe

A plot point for the recent C-drama 'Le Coup de Foudre' was that the heroine had to change high schools because of the SARS outbreak back in 2002. Where she of course met her future soulmate.

Happy weekend Beanies!

Dramabeans posts about 3-4 articles a day, which adds up to about 30 on a weekly basis. I learned this the hard way after postponing everything, Dramabeans recaps included, because of my job last week. As I wanted to rely on a weekly schedule to structure my quarantine from April onwards, I spent this week catching up on my tasks and planning them into a schedule to follow from next week onwards. I severely underestimated how absorbing the recaps and comments can be, because I needed a few days of nonstop reading to catch up while new articles kept being posted every day…

However, it felt nice to reconnect with Beanies and K-dramas through all the reading. We are all facing the corona virus together, and it feels nice that Beanies acknowledge what is happening and at the same time keep Beaning On. It reminds me to be attentive and appreciative of the small steps people take in my country and even in my neighborhood to battle the virus.

Some dramas from the March batch have caught my attention, thanks to all that recap reading. Knowing my watching habits however, I am keeping my expectations low for now. I have this annoying habit of postponing K-dramas and movies for the greater good, whereas I would actually contribute to the greater good by binge-watching all day right now.😆

My friend came up with the idea to switch between watching separately and watching together every other day. Camp NaNoWriMo also starts April 1st, so she is fired up to continue her novel from last November. I share her enthusiasm to watch and write, but I have yet to press play by myself or come up with anything that could pass for a plot. 😂 It is only my first week in quarantine, I guess it will get better. 😆

“Beaning On”, I LOVE that!
👍🏼❤️❤️❤️

"Beaning On" is such a nice way to call it. :)) I've had to mute so many words on my social media account because the news is overwhelming. I like how I can lurk here, see how everyone else is doing in the context of the pandemic, but not feel like I'm being crushed by a panic-inducing news.

Thank you for finding some of the most entertaining Twitter threads for me.

Aww @mary, what an honor!🤗
It is a relief that Dramabeans still remains our little secret paradise in the midst of the pandemic. ❤️

True to that👈🏾 👍🏽👍🏽

Thank you, I am open to better suggestions though!😀

Just dropping by to say that today is Friday and Hyena is coming back to our homegrrrround! Yay!

I can't waiiiiiittttt

Whenever I read homegrrrround, I do that mental *stomp* *hand flourish*

Bahaha

We're all excited - naturrrrrrrrrally.

Excited~~~~

Woohooo!!! I don't think I've loved any live airing drama as much as Hyena

A virus mustn't act discriminately. Don't be selective. There are 7.35 billion target there. Knock the door of everyone. Weather someone is in womb or on about to vist st. peter.

I had a habit - whenever used public transport - this thought i always used to pop up in my mind - who was earlier in that seat? Whose hands had touch that bus handle/hanger? I never trusted public transport for this specific reason.

Confusion - Public transport saves money and better for environment

Solution - come back home. properly wash hands > takeoff clothes, wash face > wash hands > wear new clothes >put aside dirty clothes.

High level paranoia? is it germaphobia? Under specific conditions it is but in slightly different events,functions there was no reaction. So both terms failed at home and at other public locations.

And a virus makes the improbable the probable. A friendly virus make people do what you are doing for years. Turns you from a minority to part of flock of sheep. Makes everyone partner in felony.

Few 1000s of sacrifices to up the living standard of the rest.

Nice to see a change in the header pic! Or have I missed it before?
Anyway hoping that everyone stays safe, wherever you are.

@superwhopotterlock,
You threw me a curve ball. I quickly spun all the way to the tippy top and there is my boy JCW. Everything is spinning out of control tight now. Let’s leave JCW alone up there.

@marcusnyc20 I'm sorry 😅. Didn't mean to confuse you. I didn't know what to call it. I should've stuck to open thread picture. Or is there any other appropriate term?
I agree with you on JCW. He should always be the header picture 😍

So, even if my country is in lockdown since last 14th, I've only been working from home since Thursday this week.
I'm happy I'm home, but working from home in an improvised office will have a price which my back is beginning to pay.
So I've implemented a daily routine of exercise and stretching. Hope it works, as I've already have problems with my back and have been on medical leave for it three times.
That's what happens when you get old and become an ahjumma 🤣🤣🤣

@Eazal, I don't even know if you like yoga or if your back would allow you to try this, but I'll just leave this here... https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

Adriene is a ray of sunshine, and she has yoga routines for back pain, among every other type of situation. As a bonus, sometimes her dog Benji shows up!

I'll watch it, thanks!
I practices Pilates and I have a personal trainer (I'm very very lazy so I need someone to force me to do things, haha).
A friend recommended me a Yoga channel as well. I need a 15-20 minutes routine so that I can honestly do it.
I'm really good boycotting myself and cheating.
It's part of of my charm!!🙄😑🤣

I read about Adriene in the New York Times just yesterday! This must be a sign that I’m supposed to do yoga.

I love Adriene!

BTS!
Sorry couldn’t help myself after seeing your username 🤣

YES! someone got it.

Stay safe beans. Stay at home. Break the chain.

*fingerhearts to all*

Thank you to all doctors, nurses, janitors, farmers, deliverymen/women, cashiers, policemen/women, army, ministers and many more essential workers who have to stay out and work during this times. Thank you for your hardwork. I wish only goodness for all of you.

*showers fingerhearts to frontliners*

Much love to our DB doctors and healthcare workers!
@ally-le and @michykdrama etc. ❤️💙💕

Thank you!

Just came to say that I like the new aesthetic of the Open Thread post/picture from above ❣️❣️❣️

Happy Friday, everyone 🤗🤗🤗🤗

Makes me want to watch it again.

I know what you mean!!
It’s one of those moments when you see something that reminds you of a drama (be it an actual screencap, a comment, an OST, etc.) and you’re like, “Now I want to/I’m going to do a re-watch” 😅😅😅

It's been a while. I might juts rewatch it as soon as I get some free time.

Thanks for noticing! We love the new look too ;)

I hardly comment on posts anymore (that’s probably why it takes me so long to level up), let alone on Open Threads (it’s nice to get to know Beanies more through the stories and anecdotes they share here on the Open Threads, but personally, I find it a tad bit overwhelming at times #introvert 😅😅), but then I saw this and was like 😍😍

I love the new look/header of OT too, thanks @db_staff :)

there’s this poster of My Ajusshi that I like so much that has similar layout/setting with this pic, it was where the Park brothers were in living room with Lee Ji An, some are sitting on the couch, oh happier times since they were all smiling (Park Dong Hoon you really need to smile and laugh a lot, you look gooood, and it was infectious! haha), I wish i can put a link here,,

anyway, thanks for the new look, DB, look fwd to other header pic you may have in store for the next OT :)

Yay! Stay tuned~

If Se-hee and Ji-ho watching soccer in Because This Life is Our First doesn't make it in the rotations...

🥺

Good morning, beanies ({{{waving}}}

I’ll Find You on a Beautiful Day ~ *spoiler ep 8* There is something safe about the the Goodnight Bookstore. Or perhaps there is safety in all bookstores where one can browse, share stories, mingle, sit and read alone for hours away from the world. But outside, Eun-Seob is on shaky ground. It seems like the looming mountains are too close and carry too much of him in them for him to act like they aren’t there. When he admitted to his mother that he saw an apparition of his real mom, I think even Eun-Seob got scared and promised he wouldn’t go anywhere without permission. Poor Eun-Seob is torn between his past and his present. I suppose the same is true for Hye-won. I am amazed and fascinated by the abandonment of Korean children as a theme in K-dramas. What you don’t understand as a child haunts you as an adult and it’s hard to move past the realization of a parent leaving. I hope the clear view at the mountain top helps to clear Eun-Seob’s head so he can imagine a future. Hye-won must think she is the only sane one around with her aunt and Mom cut from the same cloth. Do they both wear sunglasses because of migraines? There’s more to the mountain story, I’m sure, and more to Hye-won’s family’s story. Vague characters being vague has a certain charm, at least in this setting, I’m finding.

Yoon Eun-Hye (Coffee Prince) was an interesting guest on Radio Star this week, did anyone else see that episode? I’m glad she stepped back for a hiatus and has put up some boundaries for herself.

Finished Itaewon Class – I do love actor Park Seo Joon. I’m glad Sae-ro-yi had a cathartic moment after his subconscious meeting with his dad at the edge of the bridge that passes over.

Hospital Playlist – the one extra broccoli spear on the cafeteria plate, haha!

So, how is everyone doing with many of us on non-essential lockdown? Keep washed up and safe, beanies. \/

I've been spending less time on kdramas & Dramabeans for the that couple days, and the convoluted reasons hint at (admittedly somewhat contrived) connections between:
- The Virus
- Cats
- Dieting
- Computer games
- Kdramas & Dramabeans
- Self-isolating
- Sleep deprivation

Say what?

Simple

The Virus means self-isolating, which means lots of free time, which can lead to computer games.
The Virus also means that going out to get food is dangerous - I'm up in the high-risk age and technically have one of those pre-existing conditions that kills off people my age (although mine is somewhat minor).
So I want to make the food I have stocked up last longer, which means eating less, aka "Dieting".
The most painless & effective way to eat less that I know is to get so absorbed in a computer game that you forget to eat on time and even when you get hungry you want to "just-one-more-turn" for a couple more hours.
Cats are upset because I'm not paying enough attention to them while I'm focused on the game.
I'm not getting enough sleep because I'm up late because I don't want to stop and don't feel sleepy.

What pc games are you playing? Playing games for hours used to help with my diet too lol. Right now I spend a lot of time cooking so I eat more.

I’m thinking of activating my World of Warcraft account and run around in the battleground for hours lol.

Hey @lordcobol! I realize going out to buy groceries for yourself is dangerous but please don't eat less than you usullay do! You need to keep your immune system strong because that's the only thing that can actually fight the virus! So take all the precautions you need to and have your groceries delivered or smth but please don't diet! Just a friendly suggestion from a worried beanie! :)
Fighting! Stay Safe!

Lol, when I read his post I wanted to encourage him to sleep regular hours for the same reason but didnt want to seem intrusive, so since you opened the door.....
But completely support whatever gets you through these times.

I'm a little overweight, so....

Food-delivery - hard to be sure that the people who prepare & delivery aren't infected. Safer to eat what I have.

we are of that age where this crisis affects our ability to sleep soundly at night, or daytime... i try to take naps as i only get a few hours' sleep starting around 4 or sometimes 6 am... but i can't nap, and end up getting up and turning on the news again...

this all shall pass, but it will get worse before it gets better. hang tight, stay inside (we might have to pay for deliveries, as much as we hate to do that, right?), play those computer games (my husband is doing the same), rewatch your favorite dramas? stay healthy!
; )

Another good thing about playing me-against-the-computer games instead of watching kdramas is that I'm not adding to the overcrowding on the internet :)

After over year of not watching any k-dramas (my longest slump yet), I've been drawn back into watch because of a
1) The VIRUS and all the time I have off
2) Kingdom (SO GOOD)

I feel my affinity for dramas recharged BUT now also feel so confused/lost/behind in almost everything since 2018!

So asking all beanies: any good recommendations from the past two years?

Hi @kimchikay! What dramas did you like besides Kingdom? Any particular genre?

If I were to go back to the last few dramas I actually enjoyed:
- Fight My Way
- Tunnel
- Jealousy Incarnate
- I Remember You
- Marriage, Not Dating

I'm really feeling something in the mystery/thriller or romance genres...not in the mood for something slice of life or slow, if that helps

@kimchikay, let me see if any of these look interesting to you:

1. Recent and airing shows:
*Crashlanding on You was really popular here on Dramabeans.
*My Holo Love is shorter, super fluffy, and sweet. It's a good one to bingewatch, if you don't mind loads of tropes (I like them) and a bit of suspension of disbelief.
*Hyena is airing now and it's devilishly fun, I'm loving it!

2. 2019 dramas that I liked and could fit your requirements: *Search:www,
*Be Melodramatic: this one but slice of life, but super quirky and fun,
*Tale of Nokdu: it's a fantasy sageuk, with lots of humour and fluffy romance

Ooo, these sound pretty good! Thank you!

i think 'hotel del luna' and 'cras landing on you' are overall good watches in general.
I remember enjoying 'tempted' for a bit but its a bit high school drama. Also 'love alarm' again high school, but its a good twist actually a pretty good watch.
Theres 'vagabond' and 'kill it' if you like action (i dont remember making it through kill it though)
idk if these are too many reccomendation but i could do a better job if you tell me what genre you enjoy

Thank you for the recs, will check them out!

The ones that I’ve watched recently which I think are good include:

1. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim SS1-2
2. Romance is a New Bonus Book.
3. Stranger (aka Forest of Secrets)
4. Live Up to Your Name
5. Chocolate (you may like this one if you like the first episode, beautiful cinematography and songs, many wonderful life lessons, and can tolerate a lot of tragic events)

Now watching:
1. Hospital Playlist

Thank you!

check out last week's OT for recommendations from beanies listing their top 20 dramas!

Perfume and The Last Empress. It gave me sufficient dose of Shin Sung Rok. Ahahahaha

My Ajusshi is the best of 2018!!!!

Two very different dramas under the heading of 'If you stick with it it'll be worth it':

The first 'Radiant' (Dazzling/The Light In Your Eyes) is the only drama I know that *retroactively* became a well crafted drama after a BIG REVEAL near the end explained all of the earlier confusion. The series went on to win the grand prize at the Baeksang arts awards

The second, 'Psychopath Diary' took and absurd premise and made a remarkably witty, clever series out of it.

Were you watching back when 'My Mister' (My Ajusshi) came out in 2018? That series has earned a cult-like status. I tell people its my favorite TV series ever, from anywhere.

Thank you!
Actually, I did watch the first few episodes of My Ajusshi a few month after it had finished and didn't quite get into it. Perhaps I will try it again, along with the others you have mentioned!

Wishing everyone good health~~ Stay safe beanies! Binge as many dramas as you can!

March has all of a sudden become the longest month.

I did catch up to When the Weather is Nice and I love it. I'm now slowly starting on Hi Bye, Mama. It is funny how Weather is slow slow paced and yet I do not feel the need for it to pick it up or but with Mama I feel like they could. Or maybe just condense it a little.
I do think Mama looks like it will make me want to coat and or purse shop.
Netflix shows it will end on Sunday so will not catch up before finale........probably.

I'm in love with the book club in Weather and some of us on the Fanwall thought maybe having a Goodnight Book Club of our own in April would be nice.
It is simple, just post a poem, a favorite excerpt, a reading, or anything book related before bed. Just a goodnight for Beanies. And I guess it would also be a goodmorning.

I also feel like Mama is a little bit too slow. While I think I’ve enjoyed it, I have taken a break from it since ep.6 I guess. Won’t probably watch it until it aired its finale.

Hi guys, I tried re-watching Going because I had to wait for a week for new episodes of Hyena and j couldn't bear to be without Joon Ji Hoon. Man that show stretches a lot. I also decided to watch Delightful Girl Chun Hyang. I'm only one episode in and it seems really fun. Han Chae Young seems decent enough, acting-wise. Jae Hee seems like a strong actor. I didn't find myself pushing the fast forward button even though I had little time, which seems like a good thing.

The quarantine lockdown has got me binging more than usual so i have a lot to say, ill try and keep it as short as possible so let me get right into it. oh also I hope everyone stays safe and healthy and takes care :))
1. 'Itaewon class', i was actually watching this drama till i think episode 12? and then i just kind of stopped. I dont know why, and i told myself i would get back into it and finish it, but once i got spoilers for the ending i'm actually quite glad i didnt watch because now i can live with the fantasy that Saeroyi managed to take over jjanga eventually and get justice without giving in and also that he ended up with So Ah (cuz they are the real ship in this drama)
2. As for 'I'll meet you when the weather is nice', the starting 4 episodes were fine, but now i'm bored. It's just so draggy and the plot seems so vague and i thought they were going to get into the whole cello conspiracy but they havent yet. And it just seems like the whole drama is just a filler episode.
3. 'hi-bye mama' I dont love it, i don't hate it. I just. i mean i kind of want to get on with it like, we get it, shes back from the dead, now make something else happen.
now on to the good stuff
3. 'Memorist'. I didn't have crazy expectations for the drama based off on the way it started, but thank god i continued to watch, because after this weeks episodes OML i am HOOKED. It is so so soooo good. I am in love with the characters, specially the side characters and their banter. I thought it was giving off 'he is psychometric' vibes at first, but oh my god was i wrong. And i'm so happy i was. I'm telling you guys if you aren't watching this, you're missing out. It can be pretty detective-y, but the whole drama is driven by the strong characters and the well written plot. its not too intricate but its still interesting. It has a good amount of humor and while there hasnt been much romance, you can tell theres a chemistry <3
4. Finally '365: Repeat a year', premeired this week, and i am not dissapointed. The description may be weak, but i suggest you watch the first two episodes, i won't give any spoilers but watch. It also has police elements to it, but it's much MUCH more than that and it really has me invested. VERY invested, so if you think the investigation aspect is a turn off, trust me it's not just another kdrama detective show.
So that was all i have to say for this week. I know there are other premieres i have to get to like hospital playlist and welcome, i'll get to them, for now I am happily surprised by these two new dramas. while it may seem that i just like detective stuff, thats not true, I really like the rom-com stuff as well. But these are just really good dramas with really good plots and superbly engaging characters. idk, LMK what you think in the comments below.
Take care stay healthy :))

They changed the Open Thread picture!! Yaaay 🤩
I'm glad you guys added this particular picture. It was my background photo until I changed it to Black Dog. Always felt a little guilty but now I feel better knowing it has a more permanent place!!

Thanks for mentioning Black Dog. I stopped watching it somewhere around ep.6. I think I’ll begin watching it again very soon. Perhaps within the next 2-3 weeks. (And that’s my ‘soon.’) lol

Yes continue whenever you can because honestly it was amazing. I would place it on the same level as prison playbook!!

Beanies Hospital Playlist is just so good. Totally recommend this one if you like medical dramas and slice-of-life feel.

Everyone gestures and facial expressions are gold. Look at Joon Wan’s eyes! I enjoyed his eye expressions a lot in a number of scenes and Seok-hyung is another scene stealer for me. The actor who portrays him is doing just wonderful.

This is the first time I had to rewatch every single episode, this hasn’t happened before. And every time I rewatched each episode, I noticed so many more things that I missed in the first watch: missing dialogues that turned out to link to other subplots; facial expressions and gestures, etc.

🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

Yes!! It's so easy to miss important details in this show, information thrown out in the most off-handed manner are often hints of next plot developments.

I love hospital playlist. Best drama currently. So much attention to detail. You blink and you miss.

OK @mmmmm you convinced me to rewatch episode 1 of HOSPITAL PLAYLIST before going on to 2 and 3. I held off watching 2 because I told myself I really should rewatch 1.
I am totally with you on Jung Kyung-ho's (Joon-wan) use of his eyes and facial expressions. I laughed at the wake scene (for Jung-won's father, RIP). Jung-wan (and 3 others of the 5) did not know Jung-won was the son of the head honcho of this big hospital (the deceased). He kept looking back where the family was and over to Song-hwa (who did know) and his expression was like Are you kidding me? You knew about this? This guy (Jung-won) has been mooching off me for years. (That is the gist of it.) I loved it.
So I better go back and see what I missed.

Teehee. I’m glad I am successful at convincing people to rewatch the three eps of this gem. I’d say that because each episode is full of stories and everything happens at the lightning speed, it’s very easy for people to find themselves lost at least for some of the things that happened.

I’d say say that rewatching the first ep solidifies your foundation for the relationship between the 5 friends, while rewatching the other two allows you to dive into the world of detailed-oriented production and writing.

In the first ep, I think the crocodile doll on the doctor gown of Dr.Ahn is true to his character and occupation. If you like Joon Wan’s facial expressions, better watch ep.3 at least twice.

Joon Wan’s ‘eye’ expressions should be more correct.

Oh.. or is the crocodile thing in ep.2? 😅

Hello, beanies! Hope you're all safe at home quarantining.

If last week's topic was our top 20 lists, this week will be our dramas with high rewatch value! I don't rewatch dramas but with the dearth of good dramas to catch up on and too much time on my hands, I might consider rewatching some of your recommendations. It's not considered "rewatch" per se, but I spend some time on Youtube replaying clips from Prison Playbook!

For me following dramas are rewatch material!! Some I've already done so some I will some time in the future
Be Melodramatic
Age of Youth s1&2
Prison Playbook
Black Dog
Chicago Typewriter

MyDramaList has been a revelation for me, thank you to all of you who have mentioned it! I spent a long time organizing all my watch lists!

I also want to add, nice change to the Open Thread picture DBTeam! :D

Hi all:
Please keep sake.
Dramas:
365: Repeat the Year -- Liking this a lot. Usually, i dislike when dramas use a character's over-the-top emotion to create easy plotting but i'm actually believing in the heroine's emotions. She has a very passionate, emotional side and a nasty temper.

Nobody Knows -- I love this. The subtle relationships in this drama are so wonderul.

I'll Find You on a Beautiful Day -- i love our actor but i'm worried about some angst coming.

A Piece of Your Mind 1-2 -- same as above. And i'm thinking this'll end sadly. IT would feel weird for hero to fall in love with heroine. He's in too deep with his Ex.

Find Me in Your Memory -- My favorite kdrama right now. It's a perfect high concept mis-matched couple. Plus, anchor-nim is so my type. i wasn't pleased about the new stalker plot but it feels right and not overplotted so i'll take it.

Memorist -- Am burned out by religious serial killers. I can't seem to care for the plot

Hyena 11-12 -- Really liking this. Waiting for a through plot. Yet why do i fear her creepy paroled dad more than i fear mr hotel magnate in nobody knows? Heck, they're both creepy villains but i do fear manipulative parents and entitled privilege bullying dads than i do most villains. All that emotional pain. Remembering heroine's dad in misaeng.

Cdramas:

Guardians of the ancient oath among others. Guardians is wonderful.
Have a great weekend, all.

Hello all,

Just finished watching news regarding Mercy Hospital ship. Governor Newsom and Mayor of LA talking. It was kind of funny that they are leaning to hear the questions. I do hope there will be no Covid-19 in that ship. Other then that, found out now my daughter school is close by May 1. The school district extended it to May 1. Therefore, she will go back to school on May 4 Monday. Well, I hope so. I am still waiting to hear my boys catholic school will extended to May too. So far, it is still April 21. I am already mentally prepare if they extended school closure to Fall 2020. Just announcement it and get it over with. Sigh.

I am behind of Joy of Life and will one day continue it. I am only watching Love and Destiny and Killing Three Thousand Crows. I also watch Hyena but that is only on Sunday morning. LOL.

Stay Home!! Be Healthy!!!

I'm waiting for A Piece of Your Mind's first OST to be released ! It suits so well the ambiance of this drama.

I wrote a thing about all this year's skeevy age gap dramas and weird detours into bestiality.

Is 2020 The Year of the Creep?

weird weird cat man thing but I’m still going to watch at least one episode of Meow, the Secret Boy based solely on the title (yes, this is my primary method of choosing what to watch 😅)

Thank you for sharing your post! I totally agree, although for our sake and society's sake I hope your 2020 prediction won't turn out to be true. It is especially creepy and alarming in the context of the ongoing N-bang sexual slavery case.

I honestly don't know what's going on with this year, I hope it gets better real soon. Except it won't of course because Covid will shut down production...
I guess we'll burn down that bridge when we come to it...

For those of us stuck at home, here is a pretty good list of good non-current kdramas to binge on. Quite a few seem to be on NetFlix. Found a couple I had never heard of, like Arthdal Chronicles (which is scheduled for a 2nd season). https://www.kdramapal.com/highest-rated-korean-dramas-cable-all-time/

I would note that list is based on Korean viewership, so overseas audiences probably have different tastes. A couple of them I did not care for at all.

Well, I’m having less time for kdrama watching owing to suddenly having all the children all the time and having to keep them away from the husband working from home....the oldest is 5 so it’s a busy time! But I’ve finished Wok of Love (ending felt simultaneously meandering and rushed, if that’s possible, but I will give it a pass because the leads were all awesome) so now I’m looking for something new to watch.

In non kdrama ness my husband is going to make me watch The Crown, which I am not remotely interested in but I owe him because I’m making him watch Goblin 😄I suppose it’s only fair!

My cousin pulled me away from Kdrama to watch The Crown season 3 with him and, I do have to admit, it was surprisingly enthralling.

Sounds like a good trade to me! Good luck with the kids! I know how overwhelming that can be!

I'm watching CNN, right now. Last night's ep of Cuomo Primetime. There was an ad from some political group. They were talking about how every president has a crisis that they have to handle. No one blames them for the crisis, only how they handle it and that Trump has failed. You know what, 100% agree. I wish we had a real.president and not a trash bag of human sewage running the country. But that's not what's important right now. Pointing fingers at him and trying to make him do right has NEVER worked in the past, how about we try something new?
You guys, this is so scary. I'm thinking of our beanies in healthcare and how there aren't enough PPEs to keep you safe as you're out on the front lines.
I'm thinking of the heavily hit states like NY and CA and LA and Washington and our beanies there.
I'm not a family person but I've been reaching out and saying the I love you that I never say.
Beanies, I heart you all.
I was watching our all favorite Trevor Noah (or maybe it was Cuomo again, I watch them both every day) live your lives like YOU have cov19. Not in a go and live out your bucket list way but in a stay tf home, way.
I saw a meme on fb: our grandparents and great grandparents were called to go to war. We've been called to sit on our freaking couched. Stay home. Stay home. Stay home.
Pardon me, I'm going to go have a panic attack and pancakes.

*give a big distanced hug* I hope the pancakes helped with the panic attack!
I live in Northern NJ and we're now the second worst state in terms of cases (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/), which is to be expected given our proximity to NY. Hopefully all the social distancing measures will show an impact soon, though we just started so it will take at least another week.

Agree that berating Trump, while personally gratifying, usually backfires. I think requests, gentle coaxing, and appealing to his (albeit very limited) better nature is likely to be more effective.

Uhm in my almost a decade period of watching kdramas, I can list out some that are great. I remember my first drama was Sea God, then Korean dramas were relatively new in my country that I assumed it was a Chinese drama, but with a different accent 😂😂.
To the list:
Jumong
A man called god
Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim 1 (I did not really like 2)
Healer
Empress K
Cheese in the trap
A gentleman’s dignity
It’s okay it’s love
Life on mars
All Reply series
Marriage contract
Oh my ghostess
Oh my lady
On the way to the airport
Secret garden
Descendants of the sun
Kill me heal me
Sky and single again
Strong woman do bong soo
High society
Temperature of love
Another oh hae young
Hospital ship
Blood
Dr. Jin
Missing you

To name a few 😊. There are still a whole lot to recommend though. For this year, I can’t say of any one. I am not finding them interesting.

Currently Airing

Prime-Time Shows This Week
Monday-Tuesday (May 18-19) Wednesday-Thursday (May 20-21) Weekend (May 22-24)