ABOUT THIS SITE

What We Do

Dramabeans is a site dedicated to Korean dramas (K-dramas): discussing what they are, what we feel about them, why we love them, what we don’t love about them — anything and everything. We cover shows in their pre-production phase, promotional stages, through broadcast.

We cover dramas in episode-by-episode recaps (examples: Boys Before Flowers, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds, Descended From the Sun, Six Flying Dragons, Cheese in the Trap, W–Two Worlds); in overviews and reviews (Nine: Nine Time Travels, The Princess’s Man); and in year-end write-ups that review dramas in the context of the past year (an example from 2016, and another from 2013; here are the Editors’ Picks for 2016).

We also cover news about the entertainment industry, and discuss trends and practices of the drama industry (drama adaptations and remakes, live-shoot drama production, production controversies, drama about dramas). We love dissecting storytelling tropes (contract marriages, all-time favorites). Sometimes we like to compare plot points and story devices across different shows (image ruinations, cradle-robbing teachers), and sometimes we just like to talk about random aspects of shows that interest us (heroes in boxes, dramaland fandom, the hotness effect).

Basically, we love dramas, and we love to celebrate them in any way we can.

How We Got Started

Dramabeans was born in 2007, when a lone drama fan searched the internet high and wide for a place to discuss K-dramas with the loving attention and excruciating detail she felt they deserved. She decided she’d have to build it herself, took the name “javabeans,” and started blogging about the dramas she was watching at the time. This quickly grew into something much bigger than she’d ever dreamed, and suddenly she was writing about dramas day and night, day after day. It became the best job ever.

In 2010, javabeans meet a kindred spirit in girlfriday, who was exactly the same kind of top-level nerd about dramas as she was, and they hit it off. Girlfriday came onboard as her, well, Girl Friday, a beautiful partnership was born, and thousands of recaps later they’re still going strong, analyzing and deconstructing and squeeing over their favorite shows.

Over the years, the site has expanded and the Dramabeans family has grown to include a staff of recap minions, because people get tired but the dramas keep coming, and the more dramas we could cover, the better we could serve everyone’s TV addictions. You’re welcome!

ABOUT JAVABEANS

I love Korean dramas, and I love talking about, writing about, and analyzing them. I’ve been watching dramas for as long as I can remember; I was raised on a steady diet of them, with the household TV always tuned to one show or another. The first Korean drama I recall specifically loving was the 1992 hit Jealousy, and I’ve been hooked ever since.

I started this site because I couldn’t find a site providing meaty (or any) analysis for K-dramas, a longtime guilty pleasure of mine. I enjoy marveling at the pretty as much as anyone, but also wanted to express appreciation for quality that didn’t automatically dismiss something for being popular. Or, on the flipside of that same coin, to discuss something popular that went beyond surface discussion of the plot or hot cast. (Although, let’s be honest! Hot cast = a nice bonus.)

My avatar is SuperDalja from Dal-ja’s Spring, who made an impression on me right away with her encouraging spirit and belief that real-life Superwomen aren’t that way because of special powers, but that we’re all the Superwomen of our own lives, working hard to bring happiness to our small corners of the world.

My underlying modus operandi: Just because it’s pop culture doesn’t mean discourse has to be shallow. I’d like to sustain a fun but hopefully substantive level of conversation, mixed with some irreverence. Because it’s not worth it if it’s no fun.

ABOUT GIRLFRIDAY

I’m a writer, a TV junkie, a critic, and a fan of good storytelling in any medium. I grew up watching Korean television my whole life, thanks to my parents, and am constantly blown away by how globally popular K-dramas and K-pop have become. Dramabeans is a testament to the fact that great stories can transcend any cultural barrier, and it’s home to the greatest community of fans in the universe. Science says so.

I love dissecting what makes a drama resonate with its audience, and figuring out what speaks to people universally. I have a secret love of puns. I enjoy grammar, if only to break some more rules. I feel very strongly that people can have thoughtful discourse on just about any topic, and that art—mass, pop, high, pulp, whatever it may be—can and should be discussed intelligently for the thing it is.

About the name: A Girl Friday could rule the world, if she really wanted to. You know her—the best friend smartypants who always knows exactly what the private eye/secret agent/superhero needs? She’s plucky and clever and sassy and loyal, and pretty much smarter than everyone in the room. My favorite Girl Fridays are of course ones that break the mold. Every Willow Rosenberg and Veronica Mars out there gives us hope that the geeky outcast can and will save the world. Just think of me as Dramabeans’ girlfriday: the Miss Moneypenny to javabeans’ Bond.

Meet the rest of the Dramabeans staff

Official Dramabeans Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Dramabeans

Official Dramabeans Twitter: https://twitter.com/dramabeans

Official Dramabeans Instagram: https://instagram.com/dramabeans

I can't find the drama ratings review. Not the drama ratings per week but the review rating from 1 to 9 before . Where is it located?
Thank you. Love to read for drama rec.

Thank you so much for the recaps (and bringing joy to our lives, especially me...lol). We don't really have the opportunity of watching kdramas over here so i can only hang onto the recaps and feel like I'm really watching them, thanks a lot (cc: the entire Dramabeans staff) jinjeongeulo gamsahabnida.......:D

Oh my god! Where do you live that you cannot watch the dramas? There are so many free websites when we can watch them!

Hi!
I have been reading this blog for almost four years now. But only recently I comment.
I thank you girls, do much for this website. I love it!

Very shortly: in regard with the new design of dramabeans, we are nor receiving notifications. Is it a problem with the interfase? Is it something that can be fixed?
I hope so!

Fighting! ?

No more ratings? :(

Safe to say, I'm in love with your writing Girl Friday. Its odd now because I find myself compelled to read your recaps after watching every episode. Also, I adore your humor in even the most serious of situations. Ugh, just can't get enough.

Hey,
Safe to say, I'm in love with your writing, Girl Friday. Its odd now because I find myself compelled to read your recaps after watching every episode. Also, I adore your humor in even the most serious of situations. Ugh, just can't get enough.

Anyone watching Bad Thief- Good Thief? I love it!

Love your log! This helps me so much to keep updated in the KDrama world. I started 2 months ago and i am absolutely hooked. I started with the ever-corny show "Boys Over Flowers" and the transitioned to watching "Strong Woman Do Bong Soon." I've watched about 20-30 dramas and I am currently watching "Suspicious Partners", "Lookout" and several others! Looking forward to more updates!

Maybe you can help me...I started watching kdramas in 1994 while residing in Glendale, CA - just the ones featured on reg TV at 7 PM at night. Of course nowadays there are so many sources for the kdrama addiction....Anyway, I have been trying to find out what the title of the series was but the main star is this girl named Sin-hee who plays an architect in the drama. A lot of the conflict is because she is a headstrong, career woman and not the stay at home housewife that her mother in law hopes she is. I'm hoping to track down this drama so that I can have my eldest daughter watch it. It was the series I was so addicted to when I was pregnant with her! I appreciate any help you can give me in identifying this series.

Is it Still Love perhaps? It's from 2001, main character is Soon-mi:

I would like to delete my dramabeans account. what should i do? I searched and searched for a way.. There was not a private email to contact also. Please reply me at the earliest. thank you.

Thanks Again for all you guys do. i know it's a massive amount of work and effort.
I find I will only invest emotionally in a drama if thru your ratings or recaps I have a sense that the drama will not "Bad Guy" me.

Thanks again.

I is fan

I hope you can help me find a film that I’ve been searching for for quite some time.

I believe the film was Korean, but I suppose there’s a chance it was Japanese. It was made in very recent years judging by the clothes, cars, buildings, etc.
It might have been part of a TV series cut down into a movie length piece, but I don’t think that was the case.
It was about a teacher – student romance, but with a twist.
The film starts off with a female teacher being released from prison after serving her term for having an affair with her male student.
She returns (with her sister driving I believe) to her sister’s apartment where she will temporarily live.
When she arrives she discovers that her former student lover (who is now of adult age) is there waiting for her. At first she is worried about getting in trouble but he wins her over with the full support of the her sister.
The rest of the film – as far as I can remember – is about the couple working through the obstacles and difficulties in their relationship.
The one scene I remember well is about the couple going out on a date to a little cantina. The woman tells the young man to wait there and she slips away to buy some clothes in an effort to make her look younger. He gently chides her for believing that her age matters to him.
This film – whatever it is called – pops into my head every now and then because I was never able to pay full attention to it when I first watched it (on Youtube I believe). I have searched and searched and have not yet found it. Do you know the name of the film?

There used to be scripts of films and dramas. I can find the list of those scripts, but when I click on a title, I read that it is either invalid or has been removed. Can the scripts be found in a different place?

I really love the perception of the reviews posted in dramabeans and I have already completed all the recaps.Thanks to dramabeans writers for that.can anyone please tell me why I have to register to read the recaps. Its just to know so that I can tell the reason to my friends also.

Just would like to know why the current format is shown so condensed and articles appear very small and hard to read. At first I thought my computer was showing your website in error but have since found out this is how Dramabeans is being projected on the screen. I don't like it and would prefer a full screen where the website can be more easily read and navigated.

i am indian im just addicted to k drama

hi everyone im new and im excited that a website like this exists

Welcome! Enjoy our boundless enthusiasm and analytical discussions! With some shallow fangirling mixed in with good measure, of course. ;)

Thanx for da recaps though i have failed to register with you guys

How to change language in indonesia

I am new here, just wanna say hi...🤗

hi.. newbie in kdrama here, and i want to thank you for creating this platform. i previously (and still is) enjoying american tv series and love to passionately discuss excruciating details about them but mostly come across as “my weirdo friend who watch too much tv” among my friends 😄. so when i started watching korean drama, i did the same thing, and my fellow kdrama lovers annoyed at me picking up on small details 😅. i also have this weird habit to read recaps first before i decided to continue following a series/drama (i dont watch realtime, usually i waited until the series are finished so i can binge-watch them), so i’m very grateful to found this website. thank you again :)
and i have a question tho, is there any spesific reason you dont watch/recap/review my ID is gangnam beauty? because it got so popular but after reading the recaps on other web, i dont find it engaging — and after watching few first episodes i think its very slow.. i’d like to know your opinion tho if you dont mind sharing. thank you.

Live episode 2 the mark 33: area. cops are grabbing protesters

Loving Kdramas. Planning a trip to Seoul next March - any suggestions?

If you're already watching k-dramas you should take a look at the website Korean Dramaland. It lists locations used in many k-dramas.

I first stumbled upon this site a little more than ten years ago, when I was waiting for subtitles and your recaps were helping me understand the dramas in more ways than one! Glad to see it still thriving!

I really miss JavaBeans writing. Reading your prose was a joy because it was always written so well that it flowed.

Yet, I am glad that there are so many drama fans still participating. And, I'm also glad JB and GF can actually have enough staff that they don't have to burn the midnight oil anymore.
Thank you for allowing us to board the drama train, with you as conductors.

+1, your comment! Please, please, please JB and GF let us know how and what you are both doing.

Greetings from the Philippines!
I saw Something in the Rain just last week (I know, i was too late!) and I thought it was so charming, so good. It's what brought me here, googling for anything and everything about the movie. I like the way you analyzed the movie, I really enjoyed reading your analysis. You have a gift of putting hard thoughts into words and you get your points across quickly but at the same time dig deep into a topic and give lots of details. Thank you for writing the review! I love it so much!!

Pls how do I download video of search results

I'm from Sri Lanka. My love for kdrama began with 'Full House' and 'Jewel in the palace' when they were braodcasted by our home stations. Dramabeans is my safe heaven when i want to obsess over a drama in an unobtrusive and friendly environment specially in that frustrating and exhilarating time of a week it takes them to air the next episode. So thank you dramabens ❤️

Are there any actual episodes to watch here?