More on the drug scandal
Joo Ji-hoon, Yoon Seol-hee
Actress Yoon Seol-hee is the main player in the drug scandal that erupted over the weekend, but as Joo Ji-hoon is the most recognizable name, he’s getting a lot of the attention. There’s also some confusion about the facts, but to reiterate: Joo Ji-hoon was NOT arrested for trafficking the drugs, dealing, or for possession. He was charged with using.
Here’s a rundown of some of the facts and new info:
- Yoon Seol-hee was arrested on April 26 for trafficking ecstasy and ketamine into South Korea from Japan, which she then sold. She allegedly made a total of fourteen trips between August 2007 and December 2008.
- Model Yeh Hak-young was arrested for supplying Yoon with 100 hundred million won with which to buy the drugs. Both Yoon and Yeh also took the drugs.
- Joo Ji-hoon was booked without detainment on the 26th (along with two non-celebrities) for drug use on two occasions at drinking parties in March 2008.
- There have been celebrities in the past who have been busted for drug use, but this is the first instance involving the smuggling and sale of them.
- The police are currently working to confirm Yoon’s confession that there were 15 others who took the drugs from her, and are looking into her phone records as well.
- According to police, these include at least a couple of easily recognizable names. Some reports say there are seven or eight entertainers in all, other say at least five. One in particular is “a famous singer who appears on television talk shows frequently.” The rest are host bar employees.
- I know the situation isn’t funny, but this tidbit is as hilarious as it is gross: Yoon smuggled the drugs past customs by inserting them into a menstrual pad (ewww!), which she then wore over an extra pair of underwear.
Naturally, people are wondering what made Yoon Seol-hee do such a risky (and stupid) thing.
- Yoon had bit parts in several films, but hadn’t been able to get her break and took other jobs working in bars in Seoul’s upscale Kangnam district.
- She had been increasingly worried over growing debts, according to friends.
- Yoon appeared in small parts in movies like A Good Day To Have An Affair and Sex is Zero 2. She played a room salon girl in both the film version of Tazza (aka The War of Flower) and the television drama On Air.
As for Joo Ji-hoon‘s future:
- He has been dropped from the Tokyo Tower remake. No surprise there, particularly because the scandal has been picked up by Japanese media and reported “with particular gravity.”
- The Tokyo Tower production, which stars Kim Ji-soo, is not canceled at the moment. A production representative said, “We’re planning to cast a different actor in Joo Ji-hoon’s place and begin filming at the end of May or early June.”
- Joo was planning two Japanese fanmeetings on May 15 and 16 in Osaka and Yokohama, which may be canceled. Both events sold out on the first day, which means that cancellation may result in a lawsuit. Worst. Birthday. Ever.
- Joo’s two recent movies also have shaky futures in Japan: Antique Bakery is currently screening there, and The Naked Kitchen is scheduled to release at the end of May.