Behind the scenes of Tree With Deep Roots with Sam-moon
Time for another behind-the-scenes look at a drama with IS Plus. The last time I covered one of these was with Wish Upon A Star, following its lead actress Choi Jung-won. This installment follows Hyun-woo, the actor playing scholar Sung Sam-moon in the currently airing Tree With Deep Roots.
In case you (like me) were stuck wondering for a good dozen episodes why Sam-moon seemed so familiar but couldn’t quite place him, Hyun-woo’s the actor from Pasta’s Team Italy, as well as one of the Flower Fighters of Dream. Amazing how much less recognizable a person can become when you cover up his curly mop of hair, no?
Hello, this is Hyun-woo. These days, I really feel like I’m dreaming. It’s a huge fortune as an actor to be playing such an appealing character in Tree With Deep Roots, but to also be appearing in the sitcom I Live in Cheongdam-dong makes me extremely happy. With such strong sunbae-nims in both shows, I have so much to learn. On the other hand, it is challenging to act in front of the best sunbae actors, because I’m not entirely able to shake off my nerves. I’ve put a lot of thought into how to create interesting and appealing characters, but I’m not sure how you in the viewership are receiving them. I briefly shook off my nerves to take a look at the set of Tree With Deep Roots, the show I’m focusing my attention on these days, through a camera viewfinder. I’ve caught us in these photos looking intense, but also enjoying ourselves. Come with me and take a look at the set of the popular hit Tree With Deep Roots.
(1) Here’s one shot of me with Han Seok-kyu sunbae-nim, who’s the focal point of the drama as King Sejong. I’m smiling for the camera, but I’m embarrassed to be in front of such a respected sunbae-nim. You mean you can tell right away that it looks awkward? Ey, we’re friendly, really!
(2) Here’s one shot taken while rehearsing with Ki-bum, who plays Park Paeng-nyun. We’ve gotta be the Joseon Dynasty’s top flower boys — we’re right there with Sungkyunkwan Scandal’s Song Joong-ki and Yoo Ah-in. Historically, it’s said that Sung Sam-moon and Park Paeng-nyun were close friends.
(3) Here are Jang Hyuk sunbae-nim, who handles the action aspect of Tree With Deep Roots, and Shin Se-kyung, who manages the beauty. The picture looks great, but I think Se-kyung is crying. Jang Hyuk sunbae-nim, what did you do to her?!
(4) Starting from the left are Park Hyuk-kwon sunbae-nim, who plays scholar Jung In-ji, and Jo Jin-woong sunbae-nim, who plays Joseon’s most skilled swordsman Mu-hyul. With Ki-bum and me, you could call us the scene-stealing set.
(5) What do you think, don’t I look like a real Jiphyeonjeon scholar? From the tidy classical garb and the look in my eye, can’t you just feel the spirit and intelligence of a classical scholar? Haha!
(6) Here’s a collection of Hyun-woo’s “V-poses.” To break it down, there’s the cute V, the cool V, the refreshing V, and the sexy V. There’s only one V, but seeing how many ways I can express it, doesn’t that make me quite the awesome actor? ^.^;;
(7) Reason number 1 our filming set is so great: Lots of actresses! Number 2, lots of young actresses! Number 3, lots of young actresses to play court ladies! That is all. These lovable court ladies insisted on taking a photo with me. Ah, this popularity of mine…
(8 ) Here’s Han Seok-kyu sunbae-nim mid-rehearsal, with court ladies and crew milling around as they move. Unlike me, when I move around with Ki-bum, whenever Seok-kyu sunbae-nim moves, a huge entourage moves with him.
Via IS Plus
- Tree With Deep Roots: Episode 1
- Tree wallops Man in the ratings game
- Song Joong-ki gets his face on currency
- Tree With Deep Roots’ posters, teasers, stills
- Song Joong-ki behind the scenes as King Se-jong
- Song Joong-ki cast as a young king in sageuk drama
- Shin Se-kyung, Jang Hyuk in new sageuk
- Queen Seon-deok team reunites on new drama