Open Thread #299

Kim Bo-kyung – “Rocking” [ Download ]

Happy OT everyone... And have a blissful Ramadhan.
I finally managed to finish Bu Bu Jing Xin. What a tragic ending. Since it's historical drama where the people is indeed already dead in the past, I am ok with it. And I read in koalasplayground there's a sequel with many of previous actors act again... So I will try to find it later.
Cyrano Dating Agency 13 - 14: is it me or did something about Hyeri changed? She looks different, as if played by other actrees.
Finally CDA gets real conflict between the 3 main leads, I'm with it. But the kidnapping things in the preview ep 15 is a bit meh. It is supposed to be a light and funny drama, don't put anyone into such danger.
The return of the chef... Haha. At least there's someone who know about the whole "set up" things. It's going to be boring if all of their mission ran smooth and perfectly.
Master, my heart is still available for you. :))
Did anyone notice that both Min Young and Master wore same kind of t-shirt? The white one with blue stripped, MY wore it in ep 13 and Master in earlier episodes... But I forget which one exactly. Actually I notice too many people in dramaland wore it. Joo won even wore it twice: in 1N2D (Romantic Backpacking) and Good Doctor's reading section. :))
Some old episodes of Running Man and Family Outing... How I miss Song Joong Ki's laugh.
Shark: too gloomy for my taste but I love it, especially the potensial love's development between Yihyun and Soohyun. :D
Following Blade and Flower through DB's recaps and love it. Beautiful lady with martial art (or any skill) and doesn't acting neither bitchy or too weak always gets my highest respect. My number 1 favourite character.
Excited for Who are You and get mad at Heirs. It keeps adding my favourite actors to their list while I'm not interested to their promise story. Eottohke?
Start watching My Boss My Hero: one one for this show; crazy! Lol.
Avoiding any spoiler of Monstar, Cruel City and IHYV since I plan to watch them once the DVDs come out. :D

I don't think the actress playing Hyeri changed but her aura certainly did...suddenly, she had a bit of menacing and bitter air around her. That was a good plot point since it made the show even more interesting considering how she seemed so harmless before.

Happy Friday and Ramadhan!

How is Bu Bu Jing Xi? And what is it about? I think I had it recommended for me a while ago but I never got around to look into it (and then dramacrazy died on me).

Bu Bu Jing Xin is a Chinese time traveling Guzhang (sageuk) set in the years leading to and after Qianlong's reign - lots of political plotting an romance - nearly unstoppable once you start! I actually went to read the web-novel after finishing the movie to wean myself off this..recommend!

Finishing the drama! Not movie

Ohh sounds very interesting. I'll definitively have a look at this. Is it a long drama? Where did you watch it/read the web-novel?

It's 35 eps, plus specials/ v-show appearances, and there are PDFs of the novel floating around on the net

I usually go to Maplestage for dramas, they're really quick with Chinese subs so all Chinese-reading DBers, here's a pretty reliable source!

I was gonna answer another post before I realized it was you and ask if you'd seen the TWdrama Inborn Pair with Chris Wang and Annie Chen, but it's quite a ride (84 eps!)

I'm going to look them up. I am in need for more Mandarin speaking dramas to try and get a feel for the language before going there. The drama looks sounds really interesting as well.

Hm.. I'm not sure I have seen Inborn Pair. What is it about?

Another site to check for this one is gooddrama.net. I watched it there. It's addictive though, so be ready to spend some time. And be prepared for a tragic ending. :(

Manin ~

Bu Bu Jing Xi is worth watching.

It does sound really interesting. Is it a slow or quick watch?

There are 35 episodes, bring tissues.

Haha tearjerker is is?

If you like C tear jerkers..

The Little Nyonya and The Legend of Zhen Huan are both excellent.

Inborn Pair is a modern drama about a couple who have an arranged marriage and get to know each other and grow to love each other - I watched this for the cute and sweet moments, it's long so the pace is slow but less makjangy than kdrama weekenders I guess? Although the initial setup was meh it was fun watching the main couple grow. Plus Chris Wang is cute.

Bu bu jing xin was AWESOME!! Loved it.
Only realised just how great it was after I'd finished it.

Also forever love 13th Prince <3

Me too, Throw 4th Prince (My Fav) into the mix and it is COMPLETE!!!!! Stopped at ep 30 tho. The crying is becoming lethal to my health.

hi makoto

i think gong yoo wore that t shirt too in big :). i wondered about it too - why so many male leads were wearing that t shirt. does anyone know what brand it is?

happy OT and weekend to all!

Am I first? I don't see any other comments yet.

Anyway, happy Friday everyone.

And, apologies, but I'm still sick, so I'm out: this is a hello and a bientot, chingus.

Muahz.

Hope you get well soon. Take good care and have a nice day. :)

TS -

Feel better soon! Take care.

get well soon, TS!

Good Morning, My Wondrous Beans!

It’s still way too hot here at my shoreline home, and we New Englanders are cranky. May the weather break soon!

Yes, I am still living happily for most of the week in Baksa Land…can I just hide in a closet at the Bak Cave and wait for him to come home to a happy ending? No, you say? There is no happy ending in noir? Dammit. Man, I love this show. LOVE. IT. Still barely have room in my heart for anything else, but once again, Su Ha and Seol Chan and all of their friends in both dramas do manage to give me some respite from the darkness of Cruel City. You can add to that those KIDS in Queen’s Classroom. They’re amazing! And for sheer visual WTF-ery…Blade and Petal. Sometimes I think the story TELLING gets in the way of the STORY…yes, I know the storytelling is part of the story this time and yes it’s amazing but hey, let’s face it – if I can’t get past marveling over what I’m seeing to invest myself in it emotionally as a story about people …doesn’t that defeat the purpose? Well, what I expect the purpose to be, anyway? But whatever. We are certainly being shown something remarkable, and probably on levels and to a degree that we can’t begin to understand at this moment..but yes, it’s probably true. Ten years from now we’ll look back at this drama and see it as a watershed moment. Or critics will, I mean, and we’ll go – oh yeah, that was that weird one I couldn’t decide if I liked it or not, and we’ll rewatch it and realize how much of its style has passed into common use, and be amazed, and tell everyone yes, we knew it was a big deal even back then, and pat ourselves on the back for being ahead of the crowd. No? Just me? Ok, I’m alright with that, too.

I’m hearing rumors of decent TW-dramas starting lately. Have to look into that. Love me some fluffy TW-drama. And I’m seeing screen shots of Oguri Shun hugging a little girl and it’s some j-dorama called Woman? Hello, what is this? Where can I find it? Oh – I watched a bit of the first episode of Starman last night. So far, interesting. A bit loud in that certain way j-doramas can have, but interesting. Kin-chan is in it as a secondary character and I’m interested in seeing more of him, now that Tokyo Kissu is winding down. (And still probably the best version of the story out there.)

Unbelievably sad about the passing of dramacrazy.net. The loss is massive. Massive. I was overjoyed to begin hearing about the return with a slightly different name but sadly, those sites (watchdrama.ch, dramacrazy.eu) appear to be a bad thing – viruses, spyware, malware, etc. Believe me, every night I think – do I risk it, since I have virus protection? That’s the site that has ‘X’ that I really wanted to see, and nowhere else. So far, I’m holding out. It just makes the sadness over DC-net going away last longer. *shakes fist at sky*

Music – I’m all about the OSTS these days, although I’m looking forward to a comeback from KJH – yay! It’s a lot easier to love his singing in public than it is to love his acting in public, right? But seriously, I’m listening to both Wound and Butterfly on a constant loop from Cruel City, and My Heart Flutters by Ra D from Cyrano – which – I should say here: OMG, Master. Swoon. – also, I can’t seem to find a decent copy of Sun Woo singing I Choose to Love You (Neol Saranghagesseo, something like that) but I now have copies of that song sung by Zoo (original), Hyorin (soundtrack to QIHM) and YuriSangja (for the fun of it, I guess?) on a playlist in YT and yes, I do listen to them one after the other. Beautiful song. But I want a SUNWOO COPY.

Woman puts me on edge feminist wise...

Basically it's about a woman that marries and the husband dies... so she's stuck with two daughters as a single mother. This puts me on edge because it's defining women on their reproduction rather than, you know, as general human beings with a variety of skills.

You should try good drama and epdrama... Stay away from dramafever. I'm not supporting their business practices. (Bad translations, lazy translations, stolen translations, trying to shut down blogs, threatening websites that aren't even in their jurisdiction, feeling threatened by Viki, etc).

Epdrama takes so long for subbed episodes and gooddrama is at least faster. I miss Dramacrazy since it was the fastest of the two. :(

Dramacrazy used crowd sourcing, which was why it was faster. At the same time, sometimes crowds aren't that bright. So often episodes would be uploaded from D-addicts where people would change the credits on the drama so it said it was them that subtitled it... *cough* Which made the subbers at D-addicts really teed off. (Also dramacrazy uploaded episodes that the subbers at d-addicts didn't want uploaded--mainly because they don't want to be sued.)

Don't shoot subbers in the foot.

I'll add that DF has slowed down considerably in the last month and I wonder if it is because they may not be getting subs from the site you mentioned. I don't care for their practices either, but the bottom line is that they are also not getting shows up fast enough even while being paid.

If there was a way to support Viki, I would do it. they have had subs up within 12 hours for a few of the shows that I follow. I sent a note to each team to say a big thank you!

Oh no, I would never dare to badmouth the subbers. I just don't know how these websites work. For little simple old me, dramacrazy would just be the first place to see subbed videos.

DC was good on subbing the super popular shows, but it downright sucked on the less popular ones. I stopped using it long before it went down, mainly because of the bad subs and huge gaps in the subs on less popular shows and movies. Plus the fact that DF, Gooddrama and Viki have 98% of what they had.

viki has come a long way...and they are quick...i was searching last night for other drama sites other than epdrama - there's gooddrama.net and yodrama - you might have to google that...

I discovered gooddrama after dramacrazy shut down, but I got upset when I realized they were stealing from viki. Viki had a problem subbing the last episode of Monstar. The website said 100% subbed, but the last section was not subbed because it had not been segmented. I stopped watching to give them some time to fix it, and since I was bored I checked out gooddrama. They had Monstar up already! So I checked out the last part and realized they stopped subbing at exactly the same spot where viki had a problem. But since Viki said 100% they just linked it without checking.

I still like gooddrama for dramas not legally subbed anywhere else. I go to Viki first and then move down the line to gooddrama.

We are about 180 degrees apart on the J-drama "Woman". I don't see anything in there that has anything to do with "defining them on their reproduction". In fact I see the exact opposite. I never got the feeling that she felt "stuck" with her two kids either.

BTW, what evidence do you have that DF has stolen translations? It was Dramacrazy that was accused of that, numerous times - in fact much of what they stole was directly from Drama Fever.

Woman is good. You don't see much Oguri Shun though, he's the dead husband, so only flashbacks. It's mostly about the single mom trying to survive with her two kids by herself. Could go dark, definitely emotionally intense. Try good d.... (don't want to type it out).

If you want a fluffy TW I'd suggest Just You over Love Around (latter is... boring). Wish I could find Patisserie et Amour (Patisserie with No Name) as it sounds interesting, but I don't think it's being subbed anywhere.

Another one to check out is "21st Century Family". Up to ep8 or 9 now, and a lot better than what I expected. A bit goofy/silly at times, but that seems to go with all TW dramas - but the show is a lot more realistic on dealing with present day RL problems in an extended family. I am also watching "Just You" and "Love Around", but on both the extreme overly dramatic reactions can be a bit much.

Although my watching of Monstar has hit pause I have to join in about the music. I want the ost for that drama very very much!

dramacrazy's passing was a sad day indeed. that place shall be sorely missed. I'm guessing downloading will have to be my new way of getting hold of some drama's. Or at least make me able to keep them!

Is this a fake site of dramacrazy? I just want to confirm.

dramacrazy.eu

I haven't visited it but I've heard that it's a fake, and that even the owners of dramacarzy has warned against it.

I saw the warning about the fake site but I have been streaming from this one and so far no problems.

OMG, I thought I was the only one replaying Something Flutters over and over again. Love that OST. :D

Y'know, I discovered on my iTunes program that there's actually a radio on it (lol, I'm so technologically slow) and there a section of it for international songs. Well, when international is mentioned, I'm bound to look for Korea and I find a few stations. One of them was playing a whole bunch of drama OSTs. It was cool.

Can I ask which radio station is it? :)

There were a bunch so I forgot which one it was and it has been some days since I last went to my iTunes. I suggest you look under World/International and find all the stations that say Korean or Kpop in its description. Hope that helped. :)

I replay Something Flutters, too! It's a current favourite. :D

If you have a ROKU streaming device for your TV, there are at least a dozen international radio channels. At least 3 of them have 24/7 streaming from several Asian stations.

For computer and TV/entertainment system I mostly use Spotify - they have far more international songs than Pandora or iTunes has, and I can afford the $9 a month for premium.

Haha! I go where the free stuff is so iTunes it is for me. ;) But thanks for the info anyways (I don't have Roku).

Try couple song by Ra.D.. LOVED something flutters but loved couple song as well. the video could make u die of cuteness :3

Hey that's my favorite song to replay recently as well...^^ Hi fi everyone :)

hi joAnne, i was devastated when dc died! and continue to worry that this is the beginning of the end of my drama watching or at least simulcasting as there arent that many options here in my world :( so sad.

i have gone yong junhyung crazy and am now eagerly waiting for beast's comeback. watching all sorts dvds on beast. am hoping that they come to malaysia again coz in june, when i went to their concert (free ticket) i was not yet crazy about them. made my cousin, who works for a company in event management, swear that i get free tickets to kpop concerts if they are organising.

i am loving monstar and IHYV still. am impressed with LJS in this drama. and there is real chemistry and ease between him and LBY.

i must check if i can find sun woo's version of that song coz i really cant believe its not out there in cyberspace somewhere. - as an MV?

hope weather improves over there for you. have a good weekend :)

Hi Enz - it's out there, it's just not very good sound-quality wise. Was hoping for better to appear but not yet, at least not on YT.

i guess you must have seen this ?

NO!!!!! What I saw was a scene rip from the drama itself. You rule. I will make what's his face skinny boy from Ramen Shop love you, in return. Okay?

You cant seriously not KNOW jung il woo's name???!!!! But i would prefer idol boy right now. Make him love me!! :p

He does have a sweet voice in this song. I need to find the romanized lyrics now.

Thanks!

You cant seriously not KNOW jung il woo’s name???!!!!

I just fell out of my chair laughing!

Enz, Katmoo - I DO know his name but at that moment I just couldn't THINK of it. Too many details that were none K-Drama related floating around in my brain! I knew she'd know who I meant though...sometimes, English is my second language and my first is just awkward stumbling.

Maybe I'll go back to watching Queen's Classroom. I generally can't watch remakes. The Japanese version was so good and so incredibly cold and distant; I really would like to see a more Korean (read: emotional) version of the story but ...yet... I just don't seem able to bring myself to look at it. Might force myself to, though, since you're praising it.

Vault of Doom had an excellent post about the original Japanese version and what it was meant to do, comparing to the Korean version. The article addresses some education philosophy/style differences both within and between the two countries and covers some very interesting ground. Could be worth a shot for you, Carole.

Thanks! I'll go a-searching.

I think I actually like the Korean version a little better than the Japanese one. I heard there is also a Chinese/Taiwan ?? version, but have not seen it. The teacher in the Korean version seems a bit less isolated and vulnerable even though she never shows that to her students.

those KIDS in Queen’s Classroom.

They're awesome.

I knew I love you for a reason :) I'm kinda sad too that Kiss in Tokyo is winding down, and I absolutely love this version of Playfull Kiss.

And Master...oh, my dear master. His ever changing facial expression, from soft to immediately hardened. He's suchhhh a great actorrrrr!

OST-- Have you seen the Light Sleep-Sul Chan's version from Monstar? Are the translations there correct? They just look weird to me...and it's from DF, so I have my doubts..

I haven't actually heard of Viki or epdrama, but I did discover gooddrama and love it overall. They put an adblock blocker on now since dramacrazy went down, but eh not a huge deal.

I can also watch my anime easily on there too, so I get 2 for 1.

Wait, wait, wait, wait....clearly I have been out of the loop since I've recently discovered the joys of viki (they had something I wanted to see, forget what now).

WHAT DO YOU MEAN DRAMACRAZY.NET IS GONE?! *breaks down in uncontrollable sobbing* My unni! How'm I ever gonna re-watch Sailor Moon? All those random movies I want to see. THE J-DRAMA LISTS!!
*wipes tears, drinks tea* Okay, I'm decent-ish. But seriously, dramacrazy.net is no more? What the heck! Gosh darnit, I'm going to have to start following sites on Twitter & FB and such (I try to follow people and not things). Sigh. I know this is old news already. I'm gonna go have my pity part elsewhere. Probably while crying over Kim Boong Du. My life...

Honey bunny, that was all we talked about for TWO DAYS...and it comes up regularly since then. Read the tweets that happen when you're away! I cry for my J-dorama list too...every time someone mentioned something that sounded interesting, I'd go there, find it, add it to the list. *sob*

By the time I get to them the old tweets don't exactly make sense anymore, imo *pout pout pout*

and omigosh! all my queued up dramas! They were all on DC.net! *wail!*

Imo can't fix it?

also, you called me honey bunny :D

I can't fix it, no, but I will call you Honey Bunny all day long if that makes you feel better :)

It does it does it does!

Ra.D :)

Hey every one just wanna wish you a gd friday kove you all beanies across the globe
Abt drama im watching I can hear yiur voice *my top * shark , cyrano, soon shin andddd I love them all ! Hahah too short garra go !

Hi Beanies, happy OT!

My past couple of weeks:

Still bitter about Real Man not being subbed. :/ I mean, how can you not love this?
youtube(.)com/watch?v=2a6j_52ZgTs&list=UUiBr0bK06imaMbLc8sAEz0A
I’ve got no idea whatsoever, why they had to learn these dance moves after joining a division of pioneers, but they did and it was HILARIOUS. As a foreigner it would be such a great opportunity to learn something about an important part of today’s Korean society, esp. as they share a room with regular soldiers, or witness the Korean/Australian culture clash, but it is neglected by the subbers. BTW they are going to shoot at Yoo Seung Ho’s unit soon, which may up the current ratings of 17+ percent even more.

Empire of Gold – I’m hooked. It will not be everyone’s cup of tea (it starts quite violently and got this dreaded business/economical theme), but the first episodes began very intense and it could become something really good. Every little detail is important and that’s what I like about a show. (There is some great acting too, but still, Jung Kyung-ho outcasts them all. Baksa, fighting!)

Scandal … - Not exactly hooked, but interested. Other than with Empire I ff-ed some parts, because this show really milked the little kid’s fate and death, which I never like. But I’ll check out the future eps to see more of the adults’ conflicts. (At least two minor actors have parts in Empire and Scandal, which turns out to be confusing, if you watch them simultaneously.)

Next marathon will be Shark.

Some oldies:

Alone in Love *SPOILER*– I like both leads, read some very good reviews and was willing to check it out. After ending it, I’m a little torn. It is not the right series for a marathon, it will depress you too much, because the topic (a divorced couple after the dead of their first child) is sad and heavy, and the pacing is very slow. I liked, that the story took its time to show the rapprochement of the lovers, but the last episode left me disappointed. We invest so much time (16 episodes) and don’t get to see the actual reunion?! Instead we get endless minutes of pseudo-philosophical voice-over, a hint of a huge medical problem for the second couple, and another cutsey kid ending. Koreans got a serious problem writing a satisfying ending. :/

Dal Ja’s Spring –the ride was cute and funny. For once a heroine I’m not ashamed of. If I were 20 years younger I’d crush hard on the spare tire. But, alas, again a very weak last episode.

Hope this curse won’t hit Cruel City, which is still amazing when Baksa and his quadrangle are on the screen. Nine’s position at the top of my list is in danger now. I’m surprised how little Nam Gyu-ri annoys me, because I almost didn’t watch the show due to her. One has simply to admire her ability to jog in those heels with her skinny, skinny legs.

Finally, I watched Jdrama Pride, which I enjoyed over all. Guess, I’ll have to look for some more stuff with Kimura Takuya. ;)

@Alone in Love

It's a Slice of Life drama. It's really, really slow. However, the thing about dramas from much of Asia or at least outside of the Western world in general, is that they aren't ending focused. They let you extrapolate the ending.

When you feed your kid sugar cakes after the meal that kid will want dessert first and focus on dessert. I find that much of Western media has become this way--we want dessert more than the full meal.

But there is value in looking at the journey too and deemphasizing the ending.

So if you watch it again and don't expect dessert (I mean the last episode), the meaning and the true ending come out.

This was also part of the issue in Big too. Everyone wanted dessert, but the truth is there is no dessert at the end of maturity, because we ever are trying to become more mature. It doesn't have a face or an end.

I had no problem with the pacing nor do I have a problem with an end open to interpretation, but I admit, that if I use a visual medium like TV I and the romantic in me would like to SEE the resut of my journey. ;)

super love EMPIRE OF GOLD too!! I hope more people watch it...

hm, debating whether to start Empire of Gold... how is Go Soo doing so far? i'm wary of Lee Yo-won, she's been dull in most of the stuff i've seen her in and i don't know if i can last 32 eps (that's the number, right) seeing her face (Nam Gyuri is bad enough in Heartless City).

Go Soo is strong. He's not Baksa, who is?, but he delivers. As I said, it could become something really good. You might want to wait a while and watch a larger number of eps to decide, but the first four were enough for me. I'm in.

I'm not a fan of Lee Yo-won either (her eyes are too bland), but so far she is alright for this part.

I read it's 24 eps, that isn't too bad if you don't have to marathon them. In weekly doses it should be survivable. I think Scandal is 32 eps.

24 seems do-able, so i think i'll consider it seriously (waiting for more eps is a good idea, thanks!). loved Go Soo in Will It Snow For Christmas? and just can't resist the eyes, they're so wonderfully expressive.

Shi-hyun rocks my world now, hoping the drama keeps up the intensity to the end (though it does need to get a move on plot-wise).

The intensity is what makes this show. CC's plot got giant holes and they are a few steps shy from makjang, if one more undercover agents appears, but the atmosphere and poignancy as well as Baksa's acting and his quadrangle rises the show above so many others.

Go Soo is so handsome and manly, one should simply watch everything he appears in.

writer should never have made Shi-hyun go undercover, or Soo-min (should have just written her out completely and nothing would have been lost). the acting is still top-notch (bar Nam Gyuri) and Jung Kyung-ho continues to carry the show on his slender shoulders (though Choi Mu-seong is helping tons too).

i just love the scene at Scale's house, where Shi-hyun has gathered his rag-tag team and then sits at Scale's throne issuing orders, like a boss. and Scale actually moves a place down for Soo, who is rightfully Shi-hyun second-in-command. it was awesome.

okay, i'll be off to download me some Go Soo!

Newbie, I'm so glad you talked about Oh Dal Ja's spring! I marathoned it last month and liked the heroine a lot, as well (though after seeing the poster I had doubts about watching it since I thought she was going to be another loud ajumma with horrible hair style). And loved Lee MinGi (still drooling).

But yeah, the last episode... my main issue is that I hate when main characters leave for months/years, and then reunite and nothing changed. I think it would be better if they went on living together, taking the relationship to the next step (whatever that step is, I don't mean marriage or kids) naturally, without drama, supporting each other's dreams without stupid sacrifices. OR they could both go to the US, he didn't have any ties since he was going to change jobs, but of course, that solution never seems to be considered, sigh...

I found that the Love 911 movie explains the firefighter/Nurse plot of Cyrano.

I'm making a hanbok for a friend with a deadline of the end of this month. (Separate from the one I'm making for another friend.)

Sad about the I Hear Your Voice extension.

I couldn't find a new movie to watch. =P I've tried all the ones I liked.

Finding that writing a script is harder than I thought. >.<;; Pacing, pacing, pacing. It's really difficult figuring the amount of events and scenes needed. (Plus you have to absolutely outline, which is against my usual nature).

Editing several other projects at once. I know... I have 5 projects to edit, three to write, and 2 waiting to be written. And one that I can't find the correct people to check it so I can publish it. I'm slow at editing and it's really hard to find betas that get the cultural differences I'm trying to write in without them saying it's "wrong".

And finding an excuse to e-mail Carole... but I have none.

Korean Cultural Note: When in a crowd in South Korea, don't weave through. The locals don't. You'll look like a rude foreigner when you do. Be patient and walk with everyone at the same pace. I was told this by the person I was staying with in South Korea as two foreigners right after she said it weaved in and out through people.

Dramas
I'm burning for new dramas that have the flavor of crack on caffeine.

Just You was sugary sweet. Predictable, but still I like it. (TW drama)

Master's Sun Preview was awesome. Just as I predicted. Hong Sisters try their hand at scaring you.

Watched I'll teach you Love. Good.

Oh you have a hanbok pattern/knowledge of how to make one? I have been wanting to make one or at least a modern hanbok inspired dress for a long time, just not had any luck in tracking up books or anything about how to actually make one.

I am intrigued by your script writing though; have seen you mention it before and about having Kwang-Soo as a male lead. Can I ask what the plot is about?

And I agree with you Master's Sun does look awesome, I just hope the show turns out that way as well. Would love to see their take on a bit of the darker, scarier humor as well.

You can get the pattern for a hanbok on folkwear. The tricky part of the Chegori (the top) It's a great site overall. The patterns are a little expensive, but I think that's to be expected since they spend a lot of time into patterning and research.

With Master's Sun, I'm betting my predictions will become true: The theming will be over Life and Death, which is something they've been holding onto for a while. I'd also love to see them do more black humor--which they tried a little of in Hong Gil Dong (though I don't think anyone on Dramabeans got the joke...) They will also probably try their hand at some of the things they were trying for in Big, but bring back the faster ride. I expect a Haunted House with a House of mirrors. They do amusement park rides. =P It's the best way to describe their work. And they will once again sacrifice everything to the theme... and if I'm right they'll sacrifice it to Life and Death. And that'll make some people very unhappy... (But they've been doing it for a while now.)

Lee Kwang Soo is the Male lead. Wang Ji Hye (same age), is the female lead.

Kim Yeon Hee, a rich chaebol and drama addict, is sick of being rejected in love, so after her 50th rejection, she decides to become second lead and with the help of Lee Cheol Soo break up her love interest from Lee Cheol Soo’s love interest. However, Lee Cheol Soo through their various schemes falls in love with her… throwing her grand plot out of whack. Second leads aren’t supposed to fall in love with Second Leads!

Both main leads are supposed to be major dorks. Yeon Hee tries too hard at everything. And Cheol Soo is far too lax and spineless. It's a parody of the usual second leads. (The names are also a parody as well.) (There are also several reversals and twists to the usual set up).

I completed the first episode. Yeon Hee has 49 1/2 rejections at the beginning. But after the 1/2 rejection fully rejects her, that's what send her over the edge. I've been brewing this plot for years.

Click my name and you should get the blog with the script posted.

Thank you! Do they have a webpage I can google my way to? Expect patterns to be a bit costly, but as you say with the time they put into making it it is expected. Not to mention that once you have it you can do so much with it yourself.

Haha, if Masters Sun turns out to be a well constructed Haunted house ride I can be on board with that! With the Hong sisters drama's I really feel the need to learn Korean as I suspect a lot of the humor and subtlety gets lost in translation.

Your script sounds really interesting! Love the idea of having the "second leads" be the main couple, such a nice twist on the normal happenings of a drama.

Google folkwear.... and it'll come up. Folkwear doesn't bend their patterns to the modernized versions. I'm always amazed at the amount of research they put in. They also use good patterning paper, which drives up the cost, but helps with the durability of the pattern. (Modern Hanbok are sewn up the back on the skirt, though.)

I so need a crack drama, and I'm hoping Master's Sun will pull us out of what's been a Meh year all around. (Not counting the tail ends of 2012)

I'm working on the second episode... ^^;; But I kinda needed more plot, so I've been asking around about hotel issues. (Some are amazing... O.o)

The competition are acted by Daniel Henney and Han Ye Seul in my script. I needed people who spoke fluent English since they work in a hotel. (Also to make fun of the bad English in Korean dramas). I'm going to put lots of meta references in, though if you don't know them, it won't slow you down.

Yeah once you have a pattern you can always change it around yourself and experiment (the silk paper used to wrap flowers is brilliant to make experimental patterns since you can draw through them, though tear easily). I'm interested in making both, and having a proper pattern for the original is a nice place to start.

I know what you mean, it's been a very bleak dramaland this year. Atm I have my crack drama in Mia Taeng, but hoping that Master's Sun will be able to replace it.

Hotel issues are so all over the place. Discovering anything that goes on behind the scenes in any business is always interesting and crazy sounding.

Yeah I've started reading the first episode :) I think making fun of a lot of the "normal" conventions is a nice way to go. Just amp the humor with meta referancs, especially those that make it funny even if you don't know the references and then add another layer to the humor if you do.

Oh and you can google "sy fabrics" go to the "brocade" section and there are some really nice and cheap fabrics (cheaper than fabric dot com) that look authentic. (Jaquard that looks nice and is cheap is hard to find).

If you want a bit more true to the whole thing, you can also try sonjjang -->fabric section. But it might be more expensive because of shipping overall. (Ships from Korea). Upside, you can find patches, etc there too to accessorize.

You just saved my life! I have been trying to find a pattern and good fabric for ages! I am making my sister and I hanboks. I was just about ready to wing it with cheap fabric to make sure my pattern worked out. So excited!

Oh that's awesome. I'll have a look around to see what I can find. Do you know if there are any sorta "rules" about colours and combinations of them and stuff like that?

@Manin I don't think it's as strict as it is in Kimono wear (If you want a guide to kimono, buy Lisa Dalby's Kimono)

I do know that traditionally there was more of an emphasis on rank through hanbok.

(Warning may run geeky and have excess info.)

So for example, Geumbok (gold leafing) was only for the rich Nobles (Yangban). And then the Phoenix was only for the princesses/Queen. (More the Queen/consorts/betrothed). If you dared wear anything with a Geumbok and had a phoenix, that could be considered treason, which means you could be killed.

Silver Leafing was similar.

Rich also wore brighter colors overall.... particularly red, which was reserved for more the rich. (red was expensive to produce for a while). And of course, as dramas say, Chinese silks.

Upper class also wore more flounces in general as well. Kinda imposing, since the Buddhist symbol for heaven is an equilateral triangle with one point facing up... so that must have been really imposing to see literally the shape of heaven in front of you.

Other than that, I think it's partially uniform (You know, like in the palace there were strict uniforms) and basic color sense. Lime green does not generally go well with bright orange. (Elew) Dark orange, maybe...

Oh and colors in the Joseon period were brighter than how Seoul is now. (which is a sea of black and white. Elew.) so saturated colors were treasured, especially among the rich.

How yangban do you want to appear? Slave class used cotton. Lower class also used thicker cottons. Middle Class (which is most of your regional governors) used satins, if they were lucky. Yangban used silks when they could get it and brocades. And the royalty used strictly silk and silk brocade.

Hanbok also vary by season too... (Airier fabric is more summer wear... and more likely to be affordable by the upperclass. Called Guksa, etc.)

You can find out more out of Sunny Yang's Hanbok book... though it's not as good as the documentary about Hanbok and does not serve as an equivalent for Lisa Dalby's Hanbok book.

There are other little more complex rules such as figuring out which petticoat to wear underneath for which style of dress, but I haven't figured those out yet.

@Katmoo If you don't want to make it yourself, there is the hanbok Boutique on ebay. I've used them several times and they sell used hanbok for fairly cheap. It ranges from 24-300 dollars from all different (recent) styles. It also is a good reference on color. Muted colors usually means someone older in the traditional lore. (It reversed after the Japanese occupation so muted colors are for the young... and bright colors are for older people) They also sell dangui...

I love sewing, so making the hanbok myself is no problem. In fact I have recently started hand embroidering the ribbon that hangs down from the waist for my sister (who's 16). The only thing I was worried about was trying to make the pattern by myself and finding decent fabric.

Yeah I have noticed in dramas how the gold/silver and brighter colours generally being higher classes, while the lower have more earth like, darker colours.

I'm not sure what to pick. Cotton tends to be an easier fabric to find (and sometimes cheaper), though I suppose it wouldn't be for everyday wear in my case :p Also I like darker colours and definitively not lime green (I can like if for details, not a whole outfit) and orange together! :p

I can't wait to see Master's Sun along with you. Life and Death theming...yeah, i'm there.

With so many rejections, you're nearer to getting accepted.

Korean Cultural Note: Don't know about walking at everyone else's pace, but I had the experience of being shoved aside a couple of times by people (always guys) when they needed to pass. n I wasn't exactly walking slowly.

Oh, bumping into each other usually isn't considered that bad.

And you won't get an apology for it either. Though, if you want one you can take acting lessons on how to fall to the ground.

It used to be much more strict on sidewalks that you walk to the left and get passed on the right... but now that's restricted to stairs.

=P Since I've learned that I keep mixing it up without thinking. Especially near subways and especially after thinking in Korean mode. (It's pathetic in a way.)

I also sleepily tap my card to try to get out like they do in the Korean subways. --;;

Trust me. I wouldn't say it's "wrong." The most annoying thing I do when critting folks is to write in capitals: NO!

Am a pretty tough critiquer but I'm not particularly mean. My writer friends fear sending me their WIPs but they feel somehow that they've missed something if they don't send a draft to me. I'm pretty good at seeing where the writer wants to go --thematically-- in a story.

Send if and whenever you want to.

I'm a harsh critiquer too... Mostly I'm referring to the fact that the majority of my critiquers are not of color nor diverse... nor have pulled themselves outside of their own culture... so when I put in culture things in, they auto-think it's wrong. Which is frustrating.

More specifically, I found out that the majority of people don't know what naan is. O.o; I was like WHA---!!! You're missing out on so much! (Don't you know how good Indian food is???) Also, I took for granted that people could name the majority of the Hindu gods since I got it in crappy public school... and I found out that's not universal. I also found out that "World History" usually concentrates on "European History" for the majority of people in the US. (I just want to cry out at the injustice since I thought it was more like what I had--you know Africa, Asia, South America, Central America.... What happened to the Hittites? Hmm? And Al Alandus? <--You know the Muslim influence that pulled Europe out of thinking that humors cured things.)

Yeah... religion and religious culture too.

I like writing diversity, but find myself trying to negotiate between cultures and people straight out saying an action that's culturally appropriate (and historically) is "wrong". (Such as putting the indirect speech in Japanese into a story's dialogue... *sighs* And I'm doing direct translation too...) It's frustrating. I know it's under contention too for those who aren't in the mainstream culture...

I usually write Spec fiction... but I venture occasionally in other fields too.

I know what Naan is.

In my experience, all kinds of critters are good. There are some critiquers who know absolutely zip and they are frustrating but they make you learn to write in such a way that you can keep them up to speed on what's actually happening in the story. So ignorant critiquers are a good thing.

Also rigid types are good as well. They can be annoying but they help you realize where you're writing something quirky.

Specfic definitely requires an ability to make an unknown (created) culture known to the reader. If you learn how to write specfic, you can write about any known culture so subtly that the reader ends up learning and understanding stuff they didn't know before.

True about the study of World History in the US. Generally, we learn European History. I know the Hittites but that's because I study the Bible and I picked up all kinds of historical books along the way about Ur of the Chaldees, the Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, etc.

It always amazes me that most Americans don't know about Pre-Colombian history. One of my favorite kings was King Jaguar. If US history classes included History before columbus --and if all US students were made to study it, we would definitely honor the Native Americans more. Of course there'd be some folks against changing the curriculum...but eh...

Well, I'm here if you want a critique. I do believe, though, that there are ways of subtly telling one's readers something they don't know without letting them know you've taught them. It';s part of worldbuilding...even though the world (in this case the world of India) does really exist.

When in a crowd in South Korea, don’t weave through.

Should I ever be lucky enough to make it to Korea, this is going to get me the eye every time. As a NYer, weaving through crowds is my breath and bone.

And now, having read all the back and forth re hanbok, I want to pick your brain about hanboks done w/traditional African fabrics and/or prints.

oh, i once saw a really great African-themed hanbok. Some fashion designer had done it. It was soooooooo lovely. Blue if i recall. I immediately wanted it. No, i immediately wanted some hottie k-drama actor to give it to me.

Hmm, it's better to give than to receive...unless the giver is totally hot! I thoroughly agree!

I had the same thought as you...weaving in and out is totally a NYC thing and I totally do it too, lol.

I tried not to do this earlier today and totally gave up. I felt a bit like a failure, lol. I guess we'd have to practice.

Hello everyone,

I think this is the first time ever that I've been equally addicted to 2 dramas I'm watching live.

Heartless City, Baksa just gets better and better and oh how I fear for him going to the dark side.

I hear your voice. I am so very glad that our old Soo Ha is back. I missed him so much.

Hey, if someone joins the police academy does he still have to do the mandatory military service?

Have a good weekend everyone.

I don't know if still true or not, but at one time you had to be at least 24 to apply for the Seoul Metro force, so they probably would have done their military already by then. Probably some much more recent info on it out there, but I don't read Korean.

Hi everyone!

I'm excited for Javabeans' next podcast; there were great questions asked that I didn't bother asking any because it would've just been redundant. Now I just can't wait for the answers.

In dramaland:

1. I Hear Your Voice: I still have to watch this entire week's episodes so please code your comments with "Warning Spoilers!" Much appreciated.

2. Dating Cyrano Agency: still enjoying this light breezy show. Last episode had quite some interesting twists that I liked although the last twist was a bit over the top but I'll take what I can get. As long as it helps my favorite OTP get together. =P

3. Scandal-A Shocking and Wrongful Incident: despite the title being over the top, the show is actually quite watchable. Ignoring some flaws (SPOILER: seriously, how can you take a child from its mother and have him go along with it for more than a day is beyond me), i rather liked it. I still have to finish watching episode 4 but almost the first half had me in tears at the plight of the mother who lost her son, the kidnapper who lost his son and the kidnapped child. Since Show managed to get me in the heart, I'm fully onboard watching this. I would even venture to recommend trying it.

I also forgot to add: Can someone please share, if any, links to the show Grandpa Over Flowers??? After JB's and GF's recap of the first episode, I've been dying to watch it with full subs but can't find it anywhere. If there aren't subs, then is there any rumor of perhaps somebody or group that will take on the task of subbing? I'm seriously going nuts trying to find this show. -_-

Same here! I'd love to see Grandpas Over Flowers, but don't know where to find it.

So good seeing you again!
I hadn't read your post before I posted...so I didn't put any spoiler warnings. Sorry.

I don't think i could watch a show with kidnaped children. Sounds good though.

Hey Carole! Good to see you again. How have you been? How's writing going?

Don't worry about the spoilers; I kinda glossed over your post and knew it had spoilers so I stopped reading. I'll finish reading now though. :)

I haven't watched shows with kidnapped children either but since this drama had Kim Jae Won and Park Sang-min, I had to check it out. Luckily, it's also 36 episodes and not like 50 episodes like usual weekend dramas. I can see why people might not like it since it's close to being makjangy but I guess I can handle it.

So good to see you. Now I just have to see Delicatecloud and all is right with the world.

The writing is going well. Although currently I'm kinda not really writing. Just doing a lot of writing-related stuff. Am critiquing a friend's YA novel, doing a virtual blog tour of The Constant Tower and trying not to nag the publishers to get the kindle/itunes/nook versions out ASAP.

The little writing I'm doing is an ebook n the Book of Job. The YA is presently confusing me. I want it to be graphic novel but I also want it to be past tense first person. Right now it's present tense first person and I'm really wondering if I should really go to the effort of changing the tense in soooo many pages.

Dramas with suffering children..i'm horrible at watching. It just keeps me up nights. Soooooooooo good seeing you again.

Happy Friday!

I can't remember what I watch this week, need to get my brain together after a busy week (and more busy days to come).

I hate the fact that I can never really participate in the I Hear Your Voice discussion, because the recap post isn't up by the time I go to bed (and I go to bed at ungodly hours, like 2 am) and when I get up (around 7), there's usually 150 comments already. Wahhhhh!

Okay, there's worse things in life, but sometimes I feel like I'm missing out.

Loving IHYV to bits (need to watch most recent ep still).
Monstar: still loving it.
Woman (J): need to watch ep 2, but looking forward to it.
Itazura: not expecting too much of tonight's episode, the whole Naoki-sacrifices-himself-and-gets-an-omiai arc just isn't my thing. Plus, I think he's being a bit cruel (Kotoko deserved a one-on-one conversation), while Kinchan is such a good alternative that I would cheer for him if I didn't know that Kotoko has friendzoned him forever.
Gerikyuu (something like that, can't be bothered to check the spelling just now): need to watch ep 2
Starman: haven't watch this yet, but it's on my list for sure, for the lead actress, plus I just saw that Kinchan has a supporting role in it too!
Summer Nude: Anyone tried this yet? Somehow I think even if I do, I'd end up dropping it.
Love Around: I think I'm ready to drop this. It's just... boring.
Just You: still okay, when I need something light. I like the leads, the female lead's parents – they are just so heartwarming. All the office stuff is a bit boring though.

I also have a problem with getting to IHYV recap on time: I watch the episodes rather late (by end of week) and there are like a ton of comments already, hehe. So I just watch at my own pace, read the recap, and then go through all the comments.

Yeah... it's the curse of the time zone.

Sometimes the recap is out before I can even get subs... But with some dramas it's more notable than others, IHYV being one.

Not anyone's fault of course, and I'm not complaining, it's just that feels like having arrived at the party when the cake has been all eaten already......

Haha same. I usually watch the episode and go to sleep because the recap isn't up but when I check it out the next morning, there are about 200 comments and the conversations/spazzing has kinda died out...

I think it also has to do with GF's amazing recapping speed. The ones that are recapped slower usually end up getting posted when I'm on the net anyways.

Yes, I agree! I don't have complaints but it certainly feels like the cake is already gone. It's alright. Like you said, we have the OT.

So now that I finally watched IHYV's this week's episodes, I'm just like GAAAAHHHH, OOMMMMGGGG!! Every episode has my heart bursting with so many emotions: pride, fear, joy, sadness, happiness, etc, etc. I'm super happy that Hye Sung finally touched his head at the end of episode 12...please let her get over denial quickly and just give puppy a nice smooch, heehee. :D

Also, with this drama, I've come to love the actor playing Soo Ha. I think I'll give School 2013 a try now.

Same here.

It's like that for pretty much all recaps. By the time they're posted, I'm ready for bed. Or if I'm up, by the time I realize it, there's already 1349745829057 posts, and all my thoughts have been said, so I just don't say anything. And for some, the subs aren't up for me yet, so I can't post even if I wanted to (I always have to watch first, then read, hehe).

So I try to catch the OTs when I have free time at work and talk about the shows there. That's how I feel connected to the discussion even when I don't make it to the recap.

Sometimes if recaps are up before subs, I read recaps first but then I often get too lazy to watch the drama... which sucks (that's how I sometimes end up dropping dramas that are half-baked)! Fortunately, IHYV is so good that I can resist reading the recaps because I really want to go into watching it without any prior knowledge.

alua ~

I'm liking Woman so far, (watched Ep 2 this AM), also waiting for Naked Summer to show up subbed for Erika Toda.

The combo of Yamapi / Erika / Karina just doesn't do it for me. It's going to be fluff with some rather bad acting, particularly from Yamapi... I don't mind Erika and/or Karina per se, but I also don't love love love them to make it a must watch.

alua ~

I still have Yae no Sakura w/ Ayase Haruka. I'm up to EP 11, so it's time to go back and watch some more.

Tried Summer Nude.

So, everyone is hung up on love from a gazillion years ago – 3 years? And 10 years of unrequited love? People are willing to put their life on hold for that long? Seriously?

And what's with the message if a woman a) marries or b) has a child, she is suddenly incapable of doing any job?

And then just little things that don't make sense. You ask a total stranger to come all the way from Tokyo to cook because she's the "only one" who can save the restaurant? No one in the seatown has even tried her food, or has any other reason to believe that this girl is the "only one".
And what's with the husband getting married and then taking off during the reception? Shouldn't he have run off before or at least when they ask him "Do you wish to marry this person..."?

Yamapi still can't act either.

yeah, i gave up on Love Around.

I'm barely holding onto Just You as well. Now if we could cut out all the office-related shenanigans and get a more interesting story, it'd be fun, because those two characters could be good fun.

You're way stronger than I am, way more patient. Although I will admit that I might return to Empire of Gold. All that chaebol talk was making my eyes glaze over. But I'm tempted to give it a second chance.

You're overestimating me here I think... I don't think my patience will last!

Watched ep 4.

My. Brain. Was. Hurting.

Especially during the last 15 minutes, when the girl was running after the guy, trying to persuade him to change his mind about something that was her doing no matter how you looked at it. It made NO sense.

In ep 1, I though they'd use Puff Gao's character as someone who using her wit to win agains her boss (which would have been funny), but they've turned her into a brainless, wide-eyed girl now. Seriously depressing.

Itazura - I know what you mean. I actually went ahead and watched the Taiwan version and I liked it a hundred times better. I even did a marathon of season 2 because I liked it so much. I'll finish the Japanese version, but I still think Taiwan won this one.

Starman - watched the first episode last night and it was good. I wonder how many episodes it has planned.

Just you/Love around I dropped like hot potatoes. Boring.

I started Goddess of Marriage and I think I will be dropping it next week if it continues on this path.

And yes, just like you I am loving IHYV and Monstar.

I do prefer this Itazura to all the others – I like Kotoko much better (she is not reduced to being a naive idiot 100%, which, I'm afraid, Ariel's character is), Kinchan is not only a viable alternative rather than comic fodder with little substance, but a character that comes with a wonderful message about what it means to be a friend, and Naoki is a little more human than in the other versions too. It's only that we've reached parts of the story that I find not very compelling (Naoki successfully running his father's business after a night of reading up on everything... ummm, no!).

Most Japanese doramas are 11 episodes, I'd guess Starman will have the same?

Kotoko is developed a lot better in this adaptation..but for me, that's actually becoming a problem. I like her too much. For the entirety of episode 15, I was screaming at her to drop Naoki like a hot potato and just go to Kin-chan. It's the first time I've wavered off the main OTP and disliked the main lead so thoroughly. It's not that Naoki is worse than the other versions but Kotoko is better and so I feel she deserves better too.

I know, in all of episode 15 I thought Kotoko is just the nicest person ever.

I don't dislike Naoki, though I think he was cruel in episode 15. At the moment, Kotoko does deserve better for him, but if Naoki finally realises what it means to NOT be with Kotoko and actually confesses to her, and treats her like he should, then I'm okay. I don't find him off-putting like a lot of the arrogant jerks in many dramas, you can see in episode 15 that he is suffering and that everything he's doing is, as much as it's hurting Kotoko, it's hurting himself also. The truth is, he's just got a lot more growing up to do than Kotoko, who demonstrates particular in this episode that she is very mature.

But still, even if Naoki was cruel in ep. 15, he is a better Naoki than in other versions: In almost every episode there is a moment where we see how he values Kotoko and talks to her as an equal.
In the previous Japanese version I couldn't buy their happy ending because that Naoki always treated her poorly, without respect.

I agree with you about Kotoko and Kinchan. But I can't stand the actress's facial expressions in this version. Is that puckering thing that she does all the time. Plus I think the chemistry between the leads in the Taiwan version was more believable, particularly in season 2, once they are married. But I am glad that in this version they don't emphasize constantly how dumb she is, like in the Taiwan version.

I come to find this Kotoko's facial expressions endearing... they are weird, but I somehow love them!

I do agree the chemistry between the TW leads is very, very believable. I doubt we'd get that here, given that the actress is underage and there being like a 10 year age gap.

Happy friday everyone!

Real life is still full of bureaucratic limbo in regards about getting to China. On the other hand I officially graduated uni which feels a bit strange.

Dramaland:
Drama watching has mostly been put on hold. My crack is still Mia Taeng (which I cannot wait to resume watching).

Looking forward to the new drama's that are comming: Think I will follow both Master's Sun and Who are you. And the preview for Joo Woon's new drama looks interesting as well.

Heirs: I don't want to watch a high school drama full of people obviously to old to be in high school, but that cast? It will be a very very pretty cast. I will probably give it a try, still couldn't it be placed in college/uni? Dramaland needs to discover that that's a period which can provides similar hijacks to a high school, with the added plus of people being of age + actors look believable.

Any one have any drama watching suggestions? Also interested in t-/c-drama's where they speak mandarin, as well as Jdorama's and Kdrama's worth giving a watch! (I lost my drama watching list...)

Congrats on graduating!!!! Hope you are celebrating!!!!

Heirs.... it's just not that appealing. Only Kim Woobin is a draw (and Choi Jin-hyuk a bit too).

Thank you! And is was a tiny celebration at the beach because I had to catch a 7:30 am train the day after (worst planed departure ever! :p )

I know what you mean about Heirs. I don't want to see it, but then I want to see the cast. Such a dilemma!

What would be awesome if somebody does a gif of Heirs of ALL the pretty faces so I can just watch the gif without spending time watching the drama. Hehehehe :P