Open Thread #336

Romantic Punch – “TGIF” [ Download ]

Hello and Happy Friday!
I'm a year old, but hopefully my attention span hasn't changed. Now where are my glasses...? Oh yeah, on top of my head. :-)

Based on my calculations, I posted 12 SqueeCaps in 16 days (the first eight of BOTC, the last four of FHThai). Episodes 9 and 10 are typed, waiting on final snark/squee and graphics. Please be patient with me!

And as a shameless plug, our SqueeCappers have started Nail Shop Paris or JoAnne's affectionate term "WTHParis". It's really an ode to Song Jae Rim, but, as usual, the gang is on fire. I think they are almost as good as mine 8-). Just kidding - they are awesomesauce! So for anyone who desperately searched for recaps to gush over, sorry for the lateness!

And of course, we are still doing AofF as well.

Thanks to the above recap schedule, (I estimate about 6 hours of my life per SqueeCap) I haven't watched a heck of a lot last week. Everything is in queue, though, and now that I've switched to the graveyard shift I'll have more time to watch!

My question on double spacing last week generated a lot of debate, so thanks to everyone that left a comment! No controversial questions this week, I promise. :-D

Take care, everyone!

Oh, I wasn't first. Close, though.

No way! I loved Nail Shop Paris! I had so many unintentional laughs during that show, and sometimes, though I've not succumbed, sometimes I even want to watch it again.

Watch it again and squee with us, please?

Will do! Let's face it, squeeing over SJR in WTFParis is so fun!

12 SqueeCaps in 16 days?! That is inhuman. @[email protected] (boggled eyes)

Julia -

grrRARRAgrrrwaaarrrerrr

Happy birthday shuk! That amont of sqeecaps is a lot! Didn't realize it was that many at once because ii can only access rhe blogg with my vpn.

Also i blame you all for catching the sjr bugg and marathoning wtfparis (such a fitting nickname)

Manin!
Thank you!

I didn't think about at the time. I just finished one, moved the video, blogged it, contacted JoAnne for comments, and went on to the next one, only back tracking for the final graphics that JoAnne can inspire me to create! lol

Shuk:

sounds like you guys have a pretty efficient system down! As long as you don't tire yourself out!

Shukmeister -

Sending you Happy Birthday wishes!

Gotta love the SqueeCaps. ...... Many thanks to you and the SqueeTeam!

korfan -

Thanks! One step closer to the half-century mark. :-)

Happy b-day!
And I love your squeecaps, BotC is fantastic :--)
(and your squee/snark commenter JA as well ;--) )

Dorotka -

JoAnne is the snark-glue that keeps us all together and squeeing! lol

Shukie!!! Youre a march baby too?? Happy birthday! Hope we get to meet some time this year. How is that coming along?? I am going volcano tripping with pillowhead in april. Bromo and kawah ijen in indonesia. She is coming all the way from guam. I am excited esp since Secret love affair is our new fave and we get to marathon and squee together. Eeeee

Have a good weekend birthday girl. Good health to enjoy the rest of e blessings AND to be able to squeecap adequately :)

Selamat, enz!

Thanks! And I know you secretly want me to get current with BOTC so I can look at SLA and maybe get hooked... lol

Shukkie, you deserve some time off for your birthday! Go drink the soju and do some karaoke, don't just snark about it! Maybe you'll get a 생일 축하합니다 from a nice Korean guy.

Korazy -

No rest for the wicked. LOL I'm working seven days straight until Sunday, unfortunately. But look out after that!

Secretly?? I am never secretly anything!! I want you to get on the SLA train and DROP botc. How is that? :). I can imagine all the fans getting ready to wallop me for that

HAHAHAHAHA No, lah. ;-)

Happy Birthday Shuk! 12 squeecaps in 16 days is insane! But I love them! So keep them coming!

Aigoo -

Thank you! I'm giving it my best shot.

Happy birthday!

Kamsahamida, owl!

Shuk ~

Happy Birthday ! You're not getting older, you're getter better.

Here's a video you might enjoy.

John [snicker] That was amusing, if perhaps NSFW. Thank you!

barbara black fox -

LOL - I told somebody we needed to celebrate my not having died.... :-)

Dear Shuk,
Happy Birthday to You!

kopytko -

dziękuję! Gosh they look so young in that clip, but I like Jaejoong's voice better than the other two members of JYJ.

Same here. Actually I hadn't cared about any of DBSK boys until I saw this clip. It was enough to show that JJ can sing and really has a good voice. The other DBSK/JYJ guys definitely have skills, but their voices aren't as distinctive.

Junsu's voice is recognizable, but he tends to sings slightly above his register, so it frequently sounds a ittle strained.

Micky's a much better actor, imho.

Why don't you say "100 lat" ?

Happy Birthday! =)

I appreciate it, thanks!

Happy birthday Shukmeister! sorry to be late, I was at work.

redfox -

Work sometimes comes before joy. But thank you. :-)

Happy Birthday! :)

August - Thank you!

Happiest Birthday!!

Wow, your sqeecap efforts are mind blowing! I admit that I need to spend some time in the squeecaps - my belly and lungs need a good laugh workout and you all generously oblige. I need a few more hours in the day! I love Mo in AoF so I guess I now need to follow along with you all with WTFParis.

Waiting -

Thanks for popping over to kakashi's blog and enjoying our efforts!

Happy Birthday, Shuk! Wish you many more squeecapping years ahead.

Love your and the gang's squeecaps in Problematic of the Unproblematic.

Thank you, dramabliss. And it always good to see you on OT.

HB!

Yay! for Nail Shop Paris. I was totally caught off guard w/that drama just last weekend. I wanted to take a break from my current dramas & wanted something light & fun to watch. I was browsing DramaFever & saw that Nail Shop Paris was only 10 episodes & decided to watch it. I had never heard anything about it & I went in thinking it'd be similar (in the fun/hijinks department) to Coffee Prince or You're Beautiful. But I was sadly sadly mistaken.

It was soooooo soooooooo bad. I had to keep watching b/c 10 episode could not abate my wonder. I kept wondering--who the hell wrote this? and who in the name of $%$ thought it was remotely good & greenlit the project? and what actor would read this and want to be in it? and on and on. the questions were endless. everything was so random and it was this bad mix of genres & the fantasy genre threw me for the worst loop of all.

I decided to see it through to the end. It definitely is the number 1 worst drama of all time for me. But perhaps that's a good thing. It's memorable.

a_diva -

Then you have to read the SqueeCaps, although I warn you they may make you want to rewatch.... lol

Happy birthday dear Shukmeister!!

Wow, talk about a marathon! I always enjoy reading your comments here, and as for your squeecapping ... too funny for words!

Wishing you another year full of great dramas and hot namjas : D

Am I first? :-)

One comment for today: jdorama Lost Days needs to wrap it up already.

Oooh you own that blog I had bookmarked because of the EXO = desserts infographic.

I use it as a guide when my fangirl little sis talks about Kai this and Kyungsoo that.

I still can't tell everyone apart. Especially since they always change their hairstyles and colors for each performance... It's like a technicolor memory game. @[email protected]

Yep, that's me!
Cool, you're my first fan. :-)
& I can't tell if my other comment posted, but yes, will watch WTFPARIS with you. xoxo

Sssh... I'm not supposed to like EXO.

My sis and I are in a cold war because she called Mo Il Hwa ugly. So I called her bias Kai ugly back. LOL

I keep telling her I'm only memorizing the names of her kpop Oppas so I know whom to insult... but I concede that the DO kid has a nice voice. :D

Tell her that's all DO has. Mwahuahahaha.

EXO and Mo Il Hwa - I love them both (all)!! Embrace all the beauty and stop the war, there's enough luv to go around for sister♥love :) If you'd like, check out my site for drawings of Mo Il Hwa, several EXO members (it takes a long time do draw all of them there are 12, phew!), it's kdrama kpop fan time, Yes!

I write lots in my blog. Shuckie's birthday poem, chulmoon's link to a drum concert, and a crash course on Google Translate might interest you. See "Open Thread" page on my blog for the rest of the story. See http://jreidy17.wordpress.com/ot/

Trivia question - which drama has them playing Red Light/Green Light (Red Rose of Sharon) children's game. Swear I saw that somewhere.

Cunning Single Lady!!!! The episode just aired this week.

What are all the children's games we have seen in dramas?

I remember seeing Hop Scotch in Haeundae Lovers (surprised me to see a game I grew up with played all the way in Korea).

Playful Kiss had that start of word/end of word character game (what's it called? anyone want to play it with me?) I think I've seen that one in other dramas too.

There must have been jump rope somewhere.

Obviously Go-Stop EVERYWHERE.

I tap the great Beanie encyclopedic knowledge base for more. :-)

Julia ~

I've seen some sort of game in several dramas where the players call out an animal's name and you have to mimic the animal with your hands.

Not sure what it's called or if that helps.

A similar end of word/start of word game was played in Tree with Deep Roots which had a bearing on some aspect of the narrative in a later episode.

I know I have lost it when I have nothing left to eat in the house except coffee, tea, dried beans, rice, and ramen, yet I feel the seductive power of the pretty Asian on the package and consider buying more coffee at the HMart sale

Open packet, pour, inhale, sip, ahhhh ....

Sort on a theme today. Anyone play one of the video games created by Korean companies? Supposedly there are 132 popular video games from companies like GameUs, Nettention, Darim Vision, Visual Shower and iTreeWorks. Right now, I feel like I am walking on the wild side just trying to install the Hangul typing app that is all in Korean from LovingKorean's site. It would be fun some day to play a video game in Korean.

Only Anipang and Kakao Mahjong at present. I got up into the high 600,000s on Anipang until having to shelve all my gaming activities due to work demands. Fortunately, I have the Korean keyboard option installed on my iPhone, which helps greatly since I registered for both sites in Hangul.

Bride of the Century !! 2 hours more !! that's all for this time being..

ahh. 2 hours in my timezone.

Lucky!! I have to wait til Monday for some reason before they are sobbed on gooddrama. That is really a crack drama. Enjoy!

Sobbed? haha

*subbed* Aigoo!! Sorry, I must need more coffee.

some dramas get subbed, some get sobbed. some get robbed and some get bobbed.

LOL!

Very true....

Uuuuugh! I missed it! Curses!!! lol

I haven't watched ep10 yet ..and its only 1 drama that I follow these days ..thats how college sucks you -_- I stopped watching cunning single lady until I find a free time to watchit in peace and without feeling guilty over wasting hours of studying ...well I need to go now and finish my homework ?? hahaha

Happy OT beanies! ^^
Been busy, have not been watching much of kdramas. Been catching on recaps mostly--reading faster then watching.
I saw clips of Tablo and daughter on Return of superman. They are so cute together. Haru is going to grow up to be working in both music and acting industry. Love the part where she's so shy with GD oppa. ♥
Definitely a GD fan. Heheh

Harus meeting with big bang was so cute and funny. She was so shy. Love the relationship woth her and tablo.

OMG. They are my fave family. Tablo and Haru's <3 Super cute. Do you know where to watch it with eng subs or where to download it? KBS on youtube seems to update few episodes late. Can't get enough of them.

Yeah, Haru definitely is Tablo && Hye Jeong's daughter. Geneeeesss. I bet she'll sign on with YG in the future.

Just saying hi CV!

Happy OT

Dear Drama gods! Why do nice drama dads always have to die?! Can you please stop that!

EC: So after CSL this was the 2nd dead dad in a week -.- But if it makes CM’s mom a nice person I’m kind of fine with it. It’s nice to see that JH recognises that maybe she has also feelings left for CM though it pains me to see Chief Gook not getting to confess to her (damn you cell phone from hell!). I think JH is a nice catalyst for Chief Gook to come out of his shell and even if he does have feelings for JH at the moment I think it says everything that he can’t let go of the photo of him and Ji Hye! I just hope that we get a satisfactory ending with the last few episodes! Meaning for me that Chief Gook gets a girl and CM and JH start their relationship again (and maybe YK gets AR?!).

GG: This drama has me on the edge of my seat every single episode! There were some great moments in this week’s episodes but my most favourite thing is definitely the DC+SB couple^^ Those two are so cute together!
Finally we get a bit more of DC’s past and why he hates his family so much. The thing that worries me still is the fact that in the original time line he had SB’s hairclip in his pocket and the sleeping pills SH found at his home…
The budding friendship between SH and DC warms my heart because SH is in desperate need of someone who is there for her now that she is confronted with a cheating husband.
Now I just need Monday to come fast^^

CSL: Female 2nd lead is starting to annoy the hell out of me. Though it’s clear that she doesn’t stand a chance because JW just has eyes for AR and I am screaming at her: ‘Lady just get it already. He is so not interested in you!’ It’s kind of pathetic how she clings to him but well…
My heart breaks for SH though because he really likes AR and the discovery that she is JW’s ex-wife… The heartbreak in his eyes =(
As of now I am totally pro AR+JW getting together again! If only they’d finally sit down and TALK to each other -.-

Movies:

And the Jo Seung Woo love continues^^

The Classic: I bawled my eyes out T.T SO GOOD <3 Definitely one of those movies you need to watch when you’re in desperate need of a good cry. It opens the floodgate pretty well^^ And yeah JSW rocks this one as well =)

Love Phobia: Oh dear… Jo Seung Woo STOP MAKING ME CRY! Such a beautiful but sad movie! The metaphorical ending was a nice touch and made me cry like a baby!

And can I please have a JSW for myself who stares at me with those loving eyes and sing me lullabies? That would be perfect^^

Oh and does anyone know where I can find Tazza with English subs online? On sites that are viewable outside the US (since I live in Europe)? I swear it’s not easy to find and I don’t have the money right now to buy the DVD^^ (but I need more Jo Seung Woo movies :P)

Variety:

RM: That was a nice episode =) I love it when the RM cast works as a team! The ‘Angel Eyes’ cast was hilarious and I loved it how they outsmarted the cast in the first game :D JK’s reaction was priceless when he realised that they didn’t win^^
Oh and Ji Hyo vs. Seungri and Kang Ha Neul was so funny to watch^^
The quiz section was fun and I missed the wind blast that makes their faces look ridiculous :D
And YAY for the cast winning the last mission =)
And I guess I am going to look for Kim Ji Suk’s old variety appearances because I love his heodangness :D

SR: I just managed to watch the Haru/Tablo cuts this week but they were adorable once again trying to suppress laughter^^
LOL at the PD’s forgetting to count right answers because of Shin Hye (though she was adorable doing the movements)^^ But nothing trumps Yu PD participating in the speed quiz :D Love him!

1N2D S3: Pffft… 1N2D meets Entertainment Weekly – The Hidden Camera Edition xD
Manipulating the interview was so fun to watch and I cracked up so much when JY all of a sudden was like, ‘This wood is 36 years old’, because he counted the annual rings :D That was so random yet hilarious^^ Oh and I swear that joke about JH’s age… I feel bad for him but it’ll never get old^^ The food guessing game…Poor Junho and the pickled radish^^ And JH and DC being a little mean and make him take more bites. Love their pettiness. Thank god JM got onion pretty fast because that was a little overkill for JH. God their reactions to the special juice…priceless^^ I admit I did a little happy dance for JH to get the third indoor sleeping spot =) He has suffered long enough and JY had luck always on his side until now.
I could watch them being all confused after the kiss of the morning angel every week :D My reaction would probably be the same as Park Shin Hye’s > trying to suppress laughter^^

Good parents in dramaland always have to die, especially if they do so sacrificing themselves for their children.

Yep.

Nice parents are not allowed by law to stay in kdramaland.

Funny website. Thanks for posting.

As to good parents: one of the reasons I like A Little Love Never Hurts is the good parents/bad parents. The bad parents turn to good parents and then they stay that way. There is one formally bad father who is currently in the recovery room after an operation, but I predict he will wake up with a successful result in the next episode.

Of course, now that we are on episode 49 of 50, all the kids are angels.

That is not totally true. Sometimes they are allowed to stay if they first get some horrible disease first. Or amnesia. Or both.

JSW totally does that eye-loving so well. I esp loved it in The Classic, when he handed that firefly to SYJ. Gaaahhhhh...

Tazza is so difficult to find, I ended up buying the DVD, but it is worth it. I quite liked it.

After last week's discussion about JSW I started to watch God's Gift, am at ep 6 now and I must confess I am underwhelmed. :/ I'll finish it, because it is Jo Seung Woo and he is great, but the whole rest is very disappointing. The police procedures are laughable and get bended all for the sake of the plot. But just like in I Can Hear Your Voice and the unprofessional legal dealings in that show I can't tolerate such obvious mistakes. Also I'll never become a fan of Lee Bo Young.

Well the new month is coming (= money :P) and the new MBLAQ album wants to be bought as well^^ So... I guess I am off to ordering those two things xD

Well we can't all like it. I have learnt not to take police work or anything regarding legal stuff too serious in KDramas because it would just give me severe headaches. But I got right sucked into the whole story from episode one and I enjoy the ride. JSW is just awesome and I really like LBY but that's all very subjective. Also, I am a big sucker for 'parents trying to save their children' stories :D

Okay question regarding Tazza: Do you know where to find the DVD with Regional Code 2 and Eng subs? Because the only ones I can find with Eng Subs are either Region 1 or 3 and I can't watch those -.-

Also I invested 30 Euros in a DVD player that could be de-coded and I'm able to watch all DVDs now. ;)

Thanks =)

Well I'd actually have to look for an external DVD player for my laptop since I am mostly watching movies on my laptop (I don't have a DVD player at my student residence so...). But considering my love for Korean Movies and Dramas and the fact that it's easier to get them with English subs for Region 1 should justify the purchase of a Region 1 player :D

Lots of the DVDs are much cheaper if you buy them not in Region 2. So the investment for the player is soon refunded.

Ohh, where did you get that?
I did a quick search on Amazon for region code free DVD players, but they were all super expensive...

Well, although our DVD player actually can play my Face Reader DVD, although it's supposedly region 3 as well - not sure whether it's the DVD or the player, but I won't complain either way xD

I've got a Samsung DVD Player. It was on sale in a store, I checked the Internet with the exact type number, brand name etc. and decided to buy it, as I found an instruction which number combination is to enter with the help of the remote to de-code it. The guarantee is lost after that, but as the player was so cheap it is a manageable amount.

Hi there, I'm a JSW fan too!! Absolutely love his voice. Have you seen Who Are U? (the movie, not the drama). My favorite scene is when JSW grabs his guitar and sings his heart out in front of the computer. His friend, who was sleeping across the room, wakes up and gives him a wtf look (dude, people are trying to sleep here!)

I haven't found Who are U yet...But if I do I'll definitely watch it ;)

doramax264 has it

Greetings my Wondrous Beans!

I have nothing to add. I'm all squeed out. Just wanted to say hey.

(nods understandingly)

JoAnne -

Completely understandable.

Sending you and the SqueeTeam a big thank you.

Have a great weekend!

Why no squee for SLA???!!! WAEEEEE.???!!

I haven't even seen Ep 4 yet Enz! But that kiss in the garage. Well.

I think this one might be too ACTUALLY hot to squee without embarrassment.

I told someone on Twitter that what I want is for this drama to be redone, each time with a different puppy, as the last project they take on before MS. First this, then the Army, then they come back as men. It will be a rite of passage.

Of course, it could all end in death and destruction or a WTF half naked body in a pool.

I can pretty much guarantee it will end in at least some of the above, I think.

Please NO! I swear, I will not go through another flippin kdrama for a sudden death in the last 30 secs again! I've had 2, which is 2 to many. NO!NO!NO!NO! I will always wait till they are completed and I don't here any screams of rage from worldwide beanies. I think I'll stop now till it's complete.

Well that didn't last 30 sec. Just please, no.

Ha! Love the reference to one of the biggest WTF endings ever! The show that I just don't love to hate, I simply hate.

No way, i think very few puppies can do this role. But its a great idea for a rite of passage!!

Poor Enz, still looking for squeers. I promise I will get on board - I'm sure next episode will do the trick. Or at least after he takes a shower *wink wink*

It's a hard life when fame hits and you are in such demand! Your squeecaps are excellent but it is mind boggling to me how you guys can do so many, so quickly. Obviously you have it down to a science now - didn't your say your first one took 5 days or something crazy like that? Well done, ladies.

Korazy Lady -

Yes! We haven't quite reached a year - WAML Episode 1 posted around the middle of April last year - but it's amazing when you see that first one (which was basically a short essay on Hand Towel's abs) to 4 or 5 we have going on simultaneously.

WAML - (such a luscious mind wander) suits, shirts, and shirtless^^

I keep hearing about this squeecaps
Can someone kindly give me the direct link to the squeecaps pls juseyo (۳º̩̩́_º̩̩̀)۳

@okiejune sshi
Kamsahamnida :D ~

Happy Friday!

Maybe somone here can help me finding an old song...

I'm currently watching "The Last Match", and quite enjoying it, eventhough it's an old drama (1994). Anyway, I'm looking for a song that Javabeans mentioned a few years ago, but the download link is dead, and I couldn't find the song on youtube etc.

The song is called “새로운 사랑을” (Newfound love)

and here is the relevant post:

If someone can help me find the song, I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks!

You should be able to download it from here.

Thanks a million! You made my day!

Dramabeans ate my commet.. trial nr 2:

Happy friday hope you all are good!
Smog is back after week of blue sky. Still spring is here *break into the tom lehrer song*

Kdrama toddlers will get an update later!

Watching:
Bride of the century: glad the course is revesled. Still wish she would have toødd him her real identity. Hopefully the angst won't be too painfull.

Wtfparis: marathoned this thanks to the squeecap gang. Wtf sid i just watch? Why do i kinda want more? And SJR is awesome.

Heartless city; just started watching this. Why did i not watch this before? Baksa <3 also soo don't die and leave the bromance

Hi Manin,

I hope you've had a better week and your spirits are lifted.

Very much enjoying and watching Bride of the Century also.

So glad that I watched Heartless City (Cruel City) and met the main quartet of characters Baksa, Lee Jin-Sook, Safari, and Kim Hyun-Soo. Baksa is such a memorable character and was a great role for Jung Kyoung-Ho.

August:

Yes, this week has been a bit better. how are you?

Bride of the century is good. It's pretty much every cliche out there in a way, but it's done quite well so it drags you in doesn't it?

Yes, I saw a clip of his fighting scene in ep 1. And just had to see what this is all about. Know I'm way behind everyone else on watching it but wow.

OMG you're watching WTFParis and Heartless City at the same time. That is an AWESOME drama week you're having!

We actually have SqueeCapped all three: Heartless City, BOTC, and WTHParis. LOL
We are hipsters! Or some geriatric equivalent, lol.

While you are into doing horrible awful really bad dramas, you might as well do "Panda & Hedgehog" while you are at it :)

Actually, that one is in the works too, by bcook. The first episode is already out on the blog.
:-D

Shuk: Yes I saw the squeecap for the first episode of Heartless city so started to watch it. Already finished WTFParis and want someone to discuss it with! :p

Mary: Yes yes I am! Feel like I need to start two weeks as well soon for SJR. Or rewatch the good bits "The moon that embraces the sun" (never realized until I stumbled upon that interview on your blogg that he was in it..)

Manin -

Hope you're doing well this week.

Sounds like you're really enjoying your dramas! Fantastic!

I'll have to get to what you're watching at a later time. .... My "to watch later list" is too long! There are just not enough hours in a day!

Although, currently I am watching Jung Kyung-ho (from Heartless City) in Time Between Dog and Wolf. ..... I swear, he looks the same. .... Not older, not younger. The same.

I think LJK hasn't changed much, too. Although sometimes I can be very biased abot him.

It's the hair - that crazy mop between TBD&W, My Girl, Arang, etc etc. His face: the same.

juja & Shukmeister -

Totally true.

Korfan:

Yes this week is better. Just had some bad news though. Still been a better week. How are things on your end of the world?

Haha I actually lost my "to watch" -list (yes there was an actual list.. needed a way to keep track) so now I'm just randomly picking up things. At least most of them are marathon-able by now? :P

Manin -

Glad to know your week is better.

How are things here, you ask? ...... We just had a 5.3 earthquake about half an hour ago! ...... Here I was reading OT and the shaking started!

Everything is fine though. ...... No injuries, nothing fell, the power didn't go out and I didn't lose my internet connection.

On a different note, yes a "to watch" list is a must if you want to keep track! ..... I know I need to!

Take care!

Oh wow! That's scary! Glad everything is fine and no injuries though. Take care of yourself.

Manin -

Thank you! ...... Aftershocks today, so everyone is feeling a little anxious, but overall everything's ok.

If anything, it's a reminder to be as prepared as possible in case something goes terribly wrong. .... There are no guarantees, of course, but we try our best.

I know it's frivolous to say, but at times like this you're kind of glad the power didn't go out so that the drama-viewing can continue! ...... The drama-viewing keeps you a little distracted from more serious events for a while, at least.

Anyway, you take care also and have a good week.

Hope you're feeling better and having a great visit with your dad. Don't underestimate the power of polllution.

I am thanks. How are things with you Carole?

Still got another week to go before my dad gets here but I'm really loking forward to it. Need to pack stuff to send home with him though :p

Pollution is slightly depressing. I try to make sure to always wear my mask but I must say it's getting a little warm wearing it :P

take care of yourself!

Bride of the Century is the show I look forward to the most and highly anticipate each week. So excited, less than an hour before the BOTC raw live stream starts.

- Great chemistry
- Nice kisses
- Skinship fanservice
- Witty banter between the OTP
- Interesting characters and plot
- Romance
- Light Melo
- Lee Hong-Ki, Yang Jin-Sung, & Coco the Kitten :)
- Gem of a Drama

Happy weekend beanies!

So let's talk about Secret Love Affair. I've only watched up to episode 3 so SPOILERS up to there. Feel free to talk about episode 4 if you reply though. I'll try to watch it before I reply. Work is really messing with my drama watching schedule tho. Adult life, blegh.

Anyway while I like the style and mood of the drama, I'm just not sure how I feel about how the plot is shaking out so far. Like what was the point of - SPOILER - killing off Seon Jae's mother except to give him a reason to hold off on joining the music school for awhile? I wish they had done so either at a later date or found a different way to make that happen because it was hard to feel anything about his mother's death when it happened so abruptly and when we barely got to know her as a character beforehand. It truly felt like just a plot twist which seems kind of cheap. Also how fast did they organize that funeral? Adding to that, does anyone know how much time passes before she sends him the book? They said something about him going to do his military service - did that happen? YAI did a great job with that scene of Seon Jae crying while reading the book though.

Also I feel like the kiss happened so quickly?! Although it seems more like a broken boy reaching out to someone he desperately hopes will anchor him than anything romantic which I suppose is the point. I also wish they had allowed us to see the kiss from Hye Won's POV as well. Filmed as it was, it was hard to connect with what was happening because I couldn't see how she was responding to it. Perhaps that was the point tho as I feel that scene was more about Seon Jae and his need for someone than her.

I like that we finally get to see Seo Young Woo humanized a bit. I feel so bad for her and her ilk. Yeah, she's rich and mean but she's SO isolated and unhappy. I also feel like Hye Won's job is so exhausting, juggling the competing interests of these perpetually feuding rich people. It's not worth the money.

Sad to see Seon Jae's cute friend pimping himself out. I thought he was an announcer, not an actor - why is he getting involved in that?

I'm also really curious as to where they plan to take Dami's character. She seems more like a petulant little sister than someone I care for.

I'm enjoying that drama so much I started ep 4 without subs just to see what happened next. After I figured out what happened I waited to re-watch with subs.

I feel like the drama doesn't need us to care about his mother so much as see the devastation it brings to Seon Jae's state of mind. That it did.

I also wondered how much time had gone by when he received that book. 3,6,12 months?

I liked the kiss. A lot. Even though it was kind of an attacking kiss, I saw is as an artist reaching for his muse for comfort. Actually, I think the music used in this is great and I would love to know the piece that played during that scene. Does anyone know it?

As for daughter,step mom, dad.... these people give me a headache. You (the drama) can humanize them all you want, but they're just petty, selfish, whiny people. With a lot of greed and self entitlement. Ugh!

His friends, well the girl clings like sand spur and annoys me as much. The boy needs to find another way to make a living. At least they are both loyal friends and tried to help him.(That's for #4)

Anyway to avoid spoilers I'm not going to say anything more except I want the next episode now!

That's an interesting way of looking at the kiss. I guess I didn't like it because it was too much like typical drama kisses where the man is the aggressor and the woman barely responds. I was expecting this show (given the tone and the cable channel) to not fall prey to those conventions. It's like Hey, women enjoy kisses too if they aren't forced on them! Female sexuality must really be a terrifying thing to some people.
But anyway, I just find it difficult to enjoy a kiss if only one person is enjoying it (or in this case, if I don't even know if the other person is enjoying it because I can't see her reaction). But idk, maybe those are just my own issues talking.
I did like the way the music started just as he approached her though - the drama is using music sparingly but I like that because it's not overwhelming. I don't know the music but maybe check the Viki comments? There's someone who usually posts the names of the piano pieces they play so perhaps they'll have named that piece as well.

While I agree that his mother's death seems to serve the purpose of allowing us (and Hye Won) to see him vulnerable, I wish then that they hadn't actually shown her at all. They could have just said she died suddenly. As it is, it just seems disingenuous to treat a character like that - simply using her to advance someone else's development with none of her own. It might be bothering me so much because it's a female character being sacrificed for a male character's development which is just SO typical and frustrating. But again, those might be my own issues coming to the fore.

Anyway I don't dislike the show - I just feel a bit confused as to where it's going but perhaps that's the point, to keep us on our toes.

The kiss was all about SJ but we focused on her in the aftermath. She invited him in, the camera stayed with her as she went to make tea and heard the news her husband was on his way home.

I hope the next kiss is shown differently but I'm not unhappy with their first kiss. She was aware of his feelings before but until the kiss she seemed amused, flattered and tiny bit flustered but afterward there was a realisation that it wasn't 100% one sided.

All IMO of course.

I think the whole point of the kiss was to be one-sided and a little ambiguous. It was all mixed signals—Hye Won kept her mouth open even as he was obviously positioning himself to kiss her, she dropped her purse (which seems to be a sign of a great Kdrama kiss, at least based on Love Rain), but then she made a scared little noise and pushed him away at the end. The movie SLA was based on really built all of its tension from whether or not the female lead was using the male lead or actually loved him, and this is sort of a nod to that.

I think everything about Secret Love Affair wants to take viewers out of their comfort zone. It's an interesting watch, for sure, but with it's odd camera angles, random abrupt happenings (aka his Mom), and intricate schemings I think it will take me a little longer to fully engage in it.

As far as the garage kiss, he seemed like such a wounded, pathetic animal impulsively trying to find a way to break from his pain. And he is just one of the many fractured characters in this drama.

Interestingly, she also had an obnoxious husband and turned to an affair in a Wife's Credentials, only this time she's the strong one in her marriage. (I''ve also seen her as the mega sexy adulteress in My Husband's Woman.) I am really anxious to see how this affair unfolds. It must be heady stuff for someone her age to be so adored by someone like him. I think the "real fun" is just beginning and when it does, we better put on our seat belts. I'm sure it will be one tumultuous ride!

Korazy Lady ~

abrupt happenings (aka his Mom)

The way that issue was depicted on the screen was a cross between WTF & LOL

Spoiler for SECRET LOVE AFFAIR

Implied Truck Of Doom
Funeral House
Cremation

Wham, Bam, Ash in a Can, all in about 2 minutes.

The three of them silently screaming and banging on the window while we're still wrapping our head around what happened - it's powerful stuff. I need to watch this one early in the evening because if you doze, you may miss an important development!

LOL! Well put. I wonder if that was how it was written in the first draft.

*still giggling* :)

Replying to your later comment about the nail polish since I can't reply directly to it:

I really like your take on the scene. While I also felt that his words allowed her to briefly see herself in a different light, I felt that she took off the nail polish because she saw her husband and felt guilty about letting herself get carried away by this kind of attention from someone else. Also did you notice that they sleep in separate beds? I felt like she shut it down because she knew it was improper for her to be dwelling on his infatuation with her and she didn't want to give it too much weight. But I can definitely see your interpretation as well.

@ soprection

I can see why you think the husband may have a part in it; and he might, just a little. However, I do think it has more to do with how his words made her FEEL. She took the nail polish off as if she was getting rid of her emotions.

I did notice they slept in separate beds, which means to me there is no emotion in the marriage. She definitely knows it's improper, but she can't even seem to appreciate such thoughts from someone when she has shut her emotional needs down so completely.

Thanks for the feedback, especially since that scene was so realistic to me.

SPOILERS
They had to kill off his mother to shake his world in its foundation. It is a sudden massive loss on the so far most important day of his life. If that doesn't shake you, I don't know what.
We needed this development so that both Hye Won and Seo Jae are able and willing to cross a line plotwise. Something big had to happen to slowly start the affair.

The kiss was desperate. His world seized to exist and she is like a goddess to him. It is good, that we didn't see her reaction, because the viewer has to ponder over it longer. Their affair is not going to be something that hits you in the face. It will be complicated, passionate and layered. This scene is the garage was executed and acted so well and it is still a riddle that has to be solved. Just wonderful.

His acting in phenomenal. I'm reluctant to say on here the I have never found him appealing, but I don't think it will end up mattering much because I'm sure his acting will make me end up craving him, lol!

Don't feel bad. I saw Yoo Ah-In in The Man Who Can't Get Married and didn't even realize he was the same guy people were obsessing over when he started blowing up not too long after that. He (and his acting) didn't leave much of an impression there at all.
His acting does seem to have improved here but I still don't find him attractive, although he does have a cute, doughy face, like a child. I assume its the acting that wins people over but this is only the second thing I've seen him in so jury's still out for me.

Just fyi, if you've never seen The Man Who Can't Get Married, check it out, man, because it's so good - full of odd, interesting characters and it really doesn't feel like the typical K-drama. It's actually a remake of a J-drama and you can definitely see that in the tone, plot and characterization.