Lee Hong-ki cast as rock star in new weekend drama
So, he’s playing himself? Again? Lead singer of idol rock band FT Island Lee Hong-ki is in talks to headline his first drama for a major network, on the heels of starring in the weekend cable drama Bride of the Century on TV Chosun earlier this year. The new SBS drama is called Modern Farmer, which doesn’t exactly strike me as the most evocative title for a drama about a rock star, though couldn’t you totally see it being the name of a rockabilly band?
The new SBS weekender is a 20-episode miniseries set to air in the fall. It’ll be directed by PD Oh Jin-seok of Goddess of Marriage, and writing is Kim Ki-ho of Blue Tower and the comedy variety program Roller Coaster. The comedy will be about a rock band that goes to live in a farming village. Why, I don’t know, but whatever the motivation, it’s a setup for a fish-out-of-water story that promises city-slicker shenanigans.
It seems like a role tailor-made for Lee Hong-ki. He’s considering favorably, and there’s reportedly a good chance that the other members of the drama’s band are likely to come from his agency FNC Entertainment. It seems like overload to make the whole band CN Blue Island, so I hope there’s some room for unaffiliated actors in the cast. The premise sounds light and fun, and I’m really liking the warm happy weekend dramas on SBS’s roster lately. Though to be honest, it’s actually a problem if too many weekend dramas end up being consistently good — I mean, who has the TIME?
Modern Farmer follows the 50-episode family drama Feel-Good Day, which puts the premiere in mid-October.
Via TV Report
- Fantasy romance Hundred Year Bride lines up its main cast
- Lee Hong-ki headlines new cable fantasy drama
- Lee Hong-ki and Baek Jin-hee in Warm Goodbye
- Lee Hong-ki cast in in his first film
- Tons of stills from Lee Hong-ki’s Noriko Goes to Seoul
- Lee Hong-ki to star in Japanese drama
- Midnight interview with You’re Beautiful’s sleep-deprived but happy cast
- Behind the scenes with You’re Beautiful’s cast
- You’re Beautiful: Episode 1
Tags: Lee Hong-ki