Odds and Ends: No pain, no gain

girlfriday: I feel a little bit like a slacker these days, only recapping half a show. It’s probably the lightest load I’ve had since I started recapping. I’m watching everything under the sun, I swear, just haven’t found something that grabs me.

javabeans: That’s the nature of following dramaland in real time—sometimes there’s a whole slew of stuff you need to watch, and sometimes there are lulls. I say enjoy your break until a show comes around that captures your recapping fancy, because once that happens it’s back to the recapping batcave for you.

girlfriday: I was hoping that Night Watchman would be fun, even if it ended up being a cheesy kind of fun, but that show is so badly written that I don’t know what to do with it. I gave up.

javabeans: Bleh. I was giving it the benefit of the doubt… but that benefit extended through the course of one episode and no more. I was out by the end of the first hour, even though Jung Il-woo hadn’t even made it onscreen.

girlfriday: I tried to get through the second and failed, at least in a recapping capacity. Things just happen on that show, and there’s no plotular integrity behind why the series of events is occurring. I still watch, because apparently my love for Jung Il-woo knows no bounds.

javabeans: ….or maybe you just found that bound, and its name is Jung Yunho.

girlfriday: So sad, so true.

javabeans: To be very fair, though, its name is also Go Sung-hee. But maybe they’re all equally complicit in this one. It takes two to tango and all that. But I guess you can take this light spell as a welcome break, because goodness knows, once we’re busy you won’t have time to feed or groom yourself.

girlfriday: Yes, grooming can become an issue. Strangely I’m watching way more dramas even though I’m not in love with any of them, because I feel a bit like Cinderella running around trying on every shoe in the kingdom until I find one that fits.

javabeans: I think you got your metaphors wrong, but I get what you mean. Or… did you just paint yourself as the evil stepsister instead?

girlfriday: Maybe it’s what Cinderella should’ve done. Are you liking any of the new shows?

javabeans: I’m in the same boat, where I generally like most of them, but don’t feel compelled to recap them. I’m happy to watch a bunch, but in that passive, brain-half-off way..

girlfriday: It’s really the only way to manage juggling so many shows, though I’m probably watching too many. They’re blurring together and half the time I can’t keep them straight.

javabeans: I know, it makes for the weirdest crossover blurring. Like how Sly and Single Again and Emergency Couple both had the same oddly specific storyline occur in the same week (father-in-law dies, and our heroine is called in to support the hero emotionally). I actually didn’t mind the amnesia in Trot Lovers, but when it happened in Fated To Love You a few days later, I laughed out loud.

girlfriday: I hated it both times and felt like amnesia was a plague upon dramaland trying to infect every show I was watching.

javabeans: I love amnesia stories so I lap ’em up! But two in one week is just kind of much.

girlfriday: When they’re done right, I agree. I’m probably just grumpy because Trot Lovers was kinda lame all over, and Fated To Love You is currently angering me because we’ve spent weeks with people just sitting around, doing nothing. Just over and over, not being together because nobody will make the first move.

javabeans: Which is really hilarious if you think about it, given that they started off with a one-night stand. They had sex and a baby, but somehow apparently can’t just say, “I like you.”

girlfriday: Because that wouldn’t be noble! But it sure is idiotic.

javabeans: Dude, you only get noble idiocy points when you have BOTH. Not one or the other.

girlfriday: It might actually be my frustration with Fated that made me cheer when Jung Yumi showed up in Discovery of Romance, even though on paper a heroine who manipulates her boyfriend and lies to cover up a sleepover with an ex sounds… yunno, bad. But I’m kind of tired of boring and noble.

javabeans: I can’t decide whether Fated is worse for being insipid, or It’s Okay, It’s Love is worse for potentially sending me into rage-fits. I mean, I’m not there yet but I can see it looming on the horizon, and part of me wants to stick around to see where it takes me, while part of me is yelling, It’s a fucking emotional hurricane. Why do you feel the need to experience it firsthand? You could just walk away.

girlfriday: Some people like pain.

javabeans: And in this case, your pain is our gain. (…in that I will just pester you to fill me in, rather than sitting through twenty hours of aggravation.) I don’t know how you do it, sticking with shows you know you’re probably going to tear your hair out over.

girlfriday: It’s a sickness. I’m sure It’s Okay has the clinical term for it.

javabeans: I’m sure it would have the term, but I’m also pretty sure it would be medically wrong.

girlfriday: Welcome to dramaland.

Tags: ,

LOL

I am not even recapping and "Yes, grooming can become an issue." Running out for work after finishing a couple hours worth of catch up watching in the morning, who has time for mascara?

honestly, i agree with both of you...i'm watching a few dramas but they aren't cracktastic... i think 2014 has been a weak year for k-dramas in general...the only thing i could stomach watching all the way through was Bride of the Century and Secret Love Affair and maybe i will for Joseon Gunman (though i wish they would give the audience some credit for having a brain)...I'll catch about 5 episodes of other dramas and stop watching for some reason...

How about trying some jdramas?

I've watched 4 (four) JDramas this year due to the weird KDramas that have been shlepped out of DramaLand. Am currently watching "ST".

Strongly recommend: "Partners by Blood". Do yourself a favor and watch episode 8 on the toilet, because you will pee yourself from laughing soooo much. omg.

Strongly recommend: "ST" even quirkier than Partners by Blood. currently on air.

If you want Eye Candy: "Last Cinderella". imma sucker for younger men and ooh la la...this drama brings it!

In need of Some Weird?" "Doctor X" has got it. Freelance Surgeon ftw.

Need your Buddy Cop Story? "Tokyo Dogs" is a good bromance story of crime solving justice.

LOL you guys are hilarious! And I totally get what you mean about the lull in shows cuz nothing seems to keep my attention now, beginning of summer had a lot of great shows though! The only one that hasn't lost my interest is marriage not dating and discovery of romance is looking good but we never know...
I am so addicted to dramabeans, so bad for my health..I was almost happy that there weren't any shows that kept me glued to the screen but now i have a new habit of rereading old recaps -_-
but thanks for all your work!! idk what i would do with my life without dramabeans :)

so happy to know that im not the only one reread old recaps, not having time to rewatch, just reread them giving me nostalgic feeling, how do i live without dramabeans,sometimes real life just so boring, really grateful for db and minions ;))

Yep, certain shows I swear I've read the recaps five times over :)

I agree, I was really enjoying all the dramas airing and then Marriage, Not Dating just kind of overtook the rest in terms of keeping me excited and invested.

So even though I'm enjoying Fated (although, I'm glad to see it's frustrating other people in recent eps), Joseon Gunman, and pretty much everything else, I have to admit, they've kind of lost their spark. And considering those two feature two of my ultimate favorite actors, that's kind of a shame. Although, it should be noted that my reaction to Joseon Gunman is largely influenced by the fact that I'm in more of a rom-com mood lately.

Luckily, I'm enjoying all the new tvN dramas and Discovery of Romance so hopefully those will continue to get better, and will eventually fill the void the MND has left behind in it's wake! *sob*

yes i totally feel, and really looking forward to plus nine boys as well!! :)

I read a LOT of recaps (most of the old ones as well) when I was writting my BA dissertation. I didn't feel like I could watch dramas but what would a little recap reading break do right? Aaaand then we had read an entire drama and not much actual writing was done.

The drama slump is so serious that I'm watching dramas that aired almost 10 years ago: Soulmate (2006), Hyang Dan (2007), Unstoppable High Kick (2005-6), Bad Family, Hello Franceska...

After You From Another Star, I couldn't like any drama enough to follow recaps or even live stream. I wanted Night Watchman to be ok so that I can at least fangirl for Jung Il Woo but alas, it does not tickle my fancy.

The year is coming to an end and I think I'm done with 2014 dramas. So annoying...

Bad familyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy and Kim Myung Min! ♥♥♥ Imma gonna watch my "Lord of the drama" DVD for the nth time again now. ^^

Unstoppable High Kick, yay ! That's a favorite of mine. Jung Il-woo, Kim Bum, Park Min-young and the endearing Seo Min-jeong.

Where are you watching Bad Family? I want to watch it but the way the ads work on Gooddrama is driving me nuts.

Try installing AdBlock in your browser, it's free and it's very effective. I got it from Gooddrama dot net.

where did you see Hyang Dan I couldn't find it anywhere and I'm not in US.
I recently decided to catch all 2007 dramas
starting with que sera sera I'm somewhere around 5th ep loving eric so far and yumi is delicious fun
then I hopped to flowers for my life... OH my what an excellent heroine, so different, so well written Im hooked
Now deciding which one to download first mixed up investigative agency or dalja's spring

If you like Que Sera Sera then you may like Discovery of Romance too. Eric-Yoo Mi reunion in this series. Their electric chemistry is totally great as ever. I thought the story will be predictable but surrisingly, the writer knows how to tease her viewers.

Hyang Dan is on GoodDrama dot net.

I loved mixed up investigative agency. Not so much dalja's spirng, which i couldnt finsih. Lots love it though.

I went trhough a 2007 phase when i first came to k-land. After coffee prince, i discovered dramabeans and thought i would check out what they javabeans loved in 2007. LOVED que sera sera and love the ending of it especially.

Hope that helps. But why obe or the other? Can watch them all if you like it right? :)

I liked soulmate. Thought the guy in it was sssooooo cute!!!

I am walking the same path than you
La dolce vita,when Lee don wook made good performances
Conspiracy in the court pre chuno drama
Chuno
Shin dom
Giant but i had to stop watching because subtitles were horrible and I was lost in translation.
I have enjoyed Fated to love you but 16 episodes would have been enough however, its 6 first episodes were wonderful staled with idiocy illness and never ending no movements .

I dropped a bunch of shows because I can't even do the brain half off thing

Ditto.

I've been feeling like my KD addiction days are coming to an end. I dropped so many shows someway in this past year, which never happened before. Either the shows really suck or I'm wising up. I just find them so disappointing.
I started to walk off while watching, miss nothing upon return, and next week, there is a reluctance to follow its new ep.
Honestly don't know how recappers could continue to do write-ups for shows that've tanked. Must be punishment-extrordinaire! Hats off.

*nods*

So you are about to switch your name to "FormerKDaddict" then? :D

Hee hee. I'm more than half way there.

I started w Winter Sonata many years ago. I feel that in the 12 years hence, writers have run all out of ideas. Of course we know that there r really no new stories under the sun, only new arrangements and combinations. Problem is we get so tired of the same old overused plot devices. And when they try to be clever, it is so obvious, so forced, it makes us shake or scratch our heads. A script that can give us 16 eps (don't even dare to hope for more) that flow smoothly w/o jerking us out of the hypnotic engrossing state in which we like to be sucked into drama-watching is a rare entity indeed.

Ditto! As with relationships, if one's not growing I think it's better to just cut it off.

Speaking of old dramas, I have here Princess' Man. Though I'm still on episode 4, 'cause I find the show to be a bit normal like nothing's hooking me so far. Should I continue watching? On what episode does it get better? Thanks! (And sorry hipp for riding on your comment)

Princess' Man is fantastic, definitely stick with it

Me too. I think until Ten 3 or Vampire Prosecutor 3 returns I'll take a hiatus.

I dumped "Trot Lovers" right away after that amnesia storyline and I didn't miss it much afterwards.

Both FTLY and IOIL currently frustrate me, but I have decided to stick it out with IOIL whereas I'll probably catch up with FTLY at a later date. There have to be limits to even my self-indulgent masochism. Sigh.

I was watching with FTLY and IOIL, then I just carry on with IOIL. Too hard on my brain to watch both at the same time. I may go back to FTLY later, as earlier episodes from that series were a lot of fun to watch.

So disappointed in Fated. This first half was so great I thought Gun was going to replace Kim Boong Do as my favorite "Hero who never falters". Now I just want to smack him. Still hanging in there to the bitter end with Fated and It's Okay, mostly because I love the actors.

I just had to drop that drama altogether. Maybe I'll finish it, if the final episodes bring back the cute and warm scenes I loved while watching the first half.

Llama, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Before episode 11, I eagerly awaited for every Wed/Thu to watch Fated. Then came amnesia and Gun deciding to be a noble idiot- UGH WHY YOU DO DIS SHOW? I keep watching, hoping the writers will somehow defy my (now lowered) expectations and make these past few episodes worth it in the end.

p.s. Kim Boong Do is also my favorite! Courageous, resourceful, intelligent, and steadfast- what's not to love!

lulu ~

Courageous, resourceful, intelligent, and steadfast- what’s not to love!

If you're looking for a character like that, try Yoo Na's Street.

Lee Hee-Joon is doing an outstanding job as Chang-Man. He's got my vote for Best Performance As An Oppa In A Drama.

The show has a solid supporting cast. No lame idols to be found. The cast has done an excellent job singing as well.

Oh, I've been head-over-heals in love with Chang-man since episode 1. Lee Hee-Joon really brings that character to life wonderfully :)

Holy wow I hate you guys. You know why? After reading your comments I am now watching Yoo Na's Street. And I can't stop!!!

I should've known after JTBC gave me my beloved Fermentation Family that I should know better than to check out another show from them. I'm hooked!!!! Argh!

Ain't nobody got time for 50 episodes! I'm ruined! *crawls into a dark room to catch up with the show* What do I do if I catch up and the show is still airing? ARGH!!! *makes sad whimpering noises*

Thank you so much for the suggestion, John!

I will have to look into Yoo Na's Street. Though to be honest, when I saw that it's 50 episodes long, my brain screamed, "PUMP YO BREAKS!" hahah~

But from what you've said about this drama so far, it seems right up my alley! Who knows? This may be the one that rids me of my commitment phobia. ;)

At first, I watched it for Lee Hee Joon too but wow, all the actors are just so good at what they do and the drama has good writing. Simple and beautiful. I think I've already watched a lot of episodes twice because I watch without and with subs. Haha

Good call! I am totally hooked on YooNa's Street. So far, NOTHING annoys me. Even the music is good - very rare. Love the ensemble cast and the details of their life in the rooming house

The best thing about YooNa's street is the script (n the cast). What happens in each ep feels natural and organic. Nothing is forced, so viewers don't have to suspense disbelief or scratch their heads. The only thing about it that makes me raise my eyebrows is that it seems to present 'gangsters' as really upright citizens, w a code of honour of their own. I'm not sure if it is as innocent or innocuous as all that. At any rate, it is such an enjoyable show. Despite it being 50 eps, it's such an easy ride. I've never had to look up its ep no. even once to see how far along we are in the scheme of things.

Oh my gosh, right?! And I so foolishly made the mistake of marathoning Queen In-hyun's Man in the middle of watching Fated... I'M RUINED

I saw 5 episodes of QIHM then dropped due to busy schedule, this winter I saw nine and decided have to rewatch QIHM went back saw upto ep 11 then vacation came went on 2 month long trip/drama hiatus and forgot about it... NOw that people say I should probably watch it..
Saddest of sad I've not liked a single ROm com this year *sad tears* *angry fist hong sisters*
I didn't even like the one with the alien
I need romance 3 just put me off *cough nam goong min cough*

I couldn't get into Man from The Stard OR Queen in Hyun's man and I feel like I'm missing out. I might try QIHM again idk.

Originally, I started off just reading the recaps of QIHM. I think I started watching from episode 8. Boy, it was hook, line, and sinker for me. I even went back to the beginning and watched all the episodes to get more glimpses of the characters.

The romance was what pulled me in but the story was compelling as well. The chemistry between the leads was absolutely palpable and I felt completely engaged in every single episode. What was so refreshing about this romance was that there were no pesky second leads scheming to separate the couple. Sure, there was Dong-min who wanted Hee-jin on a superficial level but he was never a true rival to Boong-do.

I hope you will give QIHM another chance! For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever sincerely rooted for a drama couple's happiness as much as Boong-do and Hee-jin's.

Same with me! I really like Fated until ep 11 when Gun was amnesia... Then all idiotic tropes and cliches coming along. I'm still watch it every week and currently behind on IOIL and I'll stick to the bitter end to see how they end.

You know a drama is a Fail when amnesia appears out of nowhere, because that is when the writers have thrown in the towel. .

But to be logical, the drama had to have some eps of angst right?
It can't be all sunshine and fluffiness for 20 episodes

There are other ways the writers could have created angst for the couple without relying on played-out tropes (amnesia, illness, noble idiocy, etc).

The most frustrating aspect of this separation is that the only reason Gun and Mi-young are not together is because the former decided so. He pushes her away but also pines for her and continues to find reasons to be near her. The separation only exists to satisfy the angst quotient, which does not feel organic to the story.

For example, in the Taiwanese version of Fated, the separation works because "Gun" and "Mi-young" have a misunderstanding regarding the death of their child. He searches continuously for her and does all he can to win her back. Because of the misunderstanding, he isn't able to make progress until he discovers the reason she can't forgive him.

I'm not saying the Taiwanese version was perfect (because it definitely wasn't), but the separation/angst made sense and flowed with the story.

He pushes her away unilaterally again and again. Sera helps his cause along. MY believes both of them. He suffers. But It's his own doing. So viewers have difficulty sympathising w him. It's a problem when viewers can't sympathise with the suffering hero no matter how much they want to. Game Over.

Fated has hit the live acting thing with everyone working with three hours sleep a day, that of course is not to excuse it as that what every K-drama goes though, but Fated also has to go by its source as it has right through its run, though with clever differences, but still keeping broadly to the main story line, so you can indeed expect in the last week a return to fun and games

UGHHHH I agree I remember being soooo excited every week I even rewatched the first few episodes over again but now it's just ridiculous it's almost like a completely different show and those first few eps were a dream.

I seriously need a badass drama like Gaaaaksital. Hardly find one that excites me nowadays.

Sigh.

Have you seen Cruel City? :D

In my opinion Cruel city is a mess at the end of the show may be the 3 last episodes, were a rollercoaster of nonsenses, half of the cast were cops for god,s sake...

In my opinion, Gaksital wasn't perfect too. But the OP loved it, so I figured she was one of the more forgiving drama watchers.

Hey, sometimes all we need is for a show to be good when it's good! :D

It doesn't have to be all perfect all the way. (Otherwise we'd only have, like, ten dramas on that "recommended" list.)

Is anyone watching Surplus Princess or Hi School Love On? Those are the only two to capture my interest the past few months. I'm enjoying Marriage Not Dating but the love has fizzled a bit. Trot Lovers started out really fun then hobbled to the end.

Everything else I've dropped.

Oh boy, Surplus Princess is sooo ridiculous lol. It's actually surprising to me that it does its poignant moments so well, since the rest of it is so over the top. I'm really liking it though.

I hope Marriage, not Dating ends before I start disliking it, because it started so well.

I'm really only excited for Three Musketeers at this point. The above two are good, but I'm not eagerly waiting for the next episodes.

Surplus Princess is fantastic so far - fully realised world, believably developed characters. leads with solid performances.

Jo Boa's really impressing me here, even if her mermaid is self-centred as a result of literally being raised by...fish? lol. I love how she gives it a perfect mix of innocence/naivete and coarseness. She's everything I hoped Go Sung-hee would be in Night Watchman (including good at acting). Girl deserved her lead role, all right!

I love Surpluss Princess. It's silly and fun, yet there is some seriousness in it.

And I just caught MSH's 2 episodes - even if i'm a bit meh about the cast, the music is super good (for me). It's a playlist i can listen to over and over again

Definitely am! Along with My Secret Hotel, SP and HSLO fill up my current frothy rom-com quotas.

Surplus Princess: yes, it's totally comic-ky and over the top and Ha-Ni was totally bratty at first, but I think I'm going to like her journey of self-discovery and growing up. Ep 3 was the first time I could really relate to the characters - like Shi-kyung's dilemma.

It would be a stretch to say I like Jin-ah - that phone-stealing, skirt-ripping tramp! - but she's well-written as a girl who's trying to think with her head because she feels like love has let her down.

High School Love On: 2014 is really the year for trying to solve the mystery of True Love from all angles. We've had aliens and reincarnations, now we''ve got a mermaid and an angel/reaper - all trying to find out what makes humans tick.

Yes, we've got tropes already (like birth secrets and illnesses), but Kim Sae-ron's really selling this show for me.

Random comments on HSLO:
- Woo-hyun reminds me of a younger version of Hyun-bin. He's got that cool, I-don't-give-a-damn air. Just imagine what a noona-killer he'll be when he grows up!

- When High School King was running, it crossed my mind that Woo-hyun, Seul-bi and Sung-yeol were the mini versions of Min-seok, Soo-young and Jin-woo (not story-wise, of course, but their temperaments and colouring are similar - Sung-yeol could be a Ricecake donsaeng)

- But I *still* have no idea what the title is supposed to mean!

lol Woohyun is already 24 and a noona-killer.

Haha, you mean he already IS Hyun Bin?!!

(okay, I've been living under a rock. Don't know much about INFINITE. Now it makes sense why they're using their real names for the drama. At the time I merely thought it was a haphazard thing, like in Let's Eat)

I am watching a handful of dramas, but Surplus Princess and Hi School Love On are the two I am enjoying the most. Besides Marriage Not Dating, which has already ended, watching It's Okay It's Love and Night Watchman have become a chore. I really want to know what will happen in regards to Kang Woo and the ghosts trio, so I can't bring myself to drop them, but I most look forward to the weekend when I can watch the one episode each of Surplus Princess and Hi School Love On. Surplus Princess is so SNL, and Hi School Love On is so cute! Even Nam WooHyun's acting is not half bad. There were some complaints (or regrets) at how these shows are not the regular two episodes per week, but I don't mind this format at all. Anything to prolong my enjoyment...

FTLY took a turn towards nowheresville over the last 6 episodes, but there's hope yet.

Trot Lovers went for a detour and nearly didn't make it back, but I thought it was worth watching-ish.

Sly Single Woman decided to separate from brain function for a while too, but then came back-ish.

Dr. Stranger took a dive off of the board in the deep end, floundered, but then got rescued mostly.

Not having written a full length k-drama, I have no experience and therefore cannot tell how hard it is to keep a story interesting and yet on track, KNOWING that the audience also knows that the OTP is the OTP, etc. If everybody knows the ending, or thinks they know the ending, then the question is how do you get there without being boring and losing all of your audience before you arrive.

OTPs are OTPs for a reason, and all the slick casting, direction, production and OST tracks can't divert enough away from the fact that the ending is a foregone conclusion. That itself might be the hardest concept to understand in drama writing. How do you write a story when the ending is already known?

"OTPs are OTPs for a reason, and all the slick casting, direction, production and OST tracks can’t divert enough away from the fact that the ending is a foregone conclusion. That itself might be the hardest concept to understand in drama writing. How do you write a story when the ending is already known?"

Million dollar question

It's a good question – one that came up at a (Japanese) film screening for a murder mystery story that was adapted from a novel and had been made into like 7 dramas and 1 or 2 other films before (over a number of decades). How do you tell a murder mystery when everyone already knows who the murderer is? Well, in that case the director revealed the culprit early (halfway into the story) to the viewer but not characters in the film itself and shifted focus onto the "can they catch the murderer".

Not sure how this would translate into a romance scenario though. Although I think some dramas manage to sustain interest even with an obvious outcome, I think what would do dramas well overall is simply not to be so set in stone with their OTPs. If we just had somewhat more variation (no obvious OTP, or even no one ending up together) we'd all be more interested from the start. Or maybe just less tropes overall – we all know the nice second lead guy is going to lose out.

Then again, many people skip to read the ending of a book before going back to read it back to front – i.e. many people are perfectly happy knowing the answer beforehand, despite it all.

Wait, I thought that was why it works - it's a tried and tested formula, and it's all about delivering exactly what the viewers expect. The only differences are in how we get there.

Which is why we keep watching all the endless different versions of Romeo and Juliet, or Pride and Prejudice, or Titanic, or some other fairy/folk tale, even though we know what's coming. (same logic for horror movies, actually)

It's kind of like comfort food - it has a basic function, and you crave it even though you know it has no nutritional value whatsoever!

I've been thinking about this too, recently. I've found with a lot of the rom-coms that I've been watching lately, I've actually been hoping that the second lead would get the girl, just for the sake of doing something different.

Typically what happens in dramas is that the first half of the story is about the OTP getting together/realizing their feelings for each other, and then the second half tends to be about something that happens to keep them apart before they finally get together again for the happily ever after in the last couple of episodes.

The problem is that the “keep them apart” things can seem contrived and overly drawn out and not organic to the story. One of the reasons I loved QIHM was because the reason for the separation made complete sense in the context of the story and was integrated into it from the start (You From Another Star tried something similar, but didn't pull it off as well). But without a supernatural element (or amnesia or mystery illness), writers tend to rely on the characters just being angsty and failing to communicate for no good reason for four or five episodes, and that can be annoying.

I think the recent crop of dramas about former couples getting back together has been an attempt to try something new with the OTP concept, in that you can then put the "keep them apart" bit at the start and let the second half be about getting them together; it kind of reverses the story arc, which can be interesting if done well.

Some things I'd like to see in romcoms, as a change from the norm:

-that the supposed OTP turns out to actually not be the OTP
-that the conflict/angst comes from something that is integral and organic to the story from the start, instead of something that pops up halfway through and feels like a contrivance
- that the second half doesn't focus on some dramatic crisis keeping the OTP apart before an eventual happy reunion, but perhaps on the OTP going through the process of being in a relationship, with all its daily up and downs (and associated skinship)
- that the romance is not actually the main story, but a supporting element to the main plot (a la Nine: Nine Time Travels)

I feel like a masochist right now. I love It's Okay, It's Love! Yes it's not flawless but the paaaaiiiin is perfect. No Hee-kyung knows how to pen them. Biased a little bit, Jo In-sung and GHJ are lovely alone and together...

My favourite summer romcoms are coming to an end, *sob sob*.
The first replacement is happening: Jung Yumi is as awesome as ever in Discovery of Romance. And Eric, wow he came a long way since Rookie.

I love It's Okay It's Love.

Sure, it's going to put us through an emotional wringer soon, but I have no problem with this because I think it's tackling relevant and real issues, not giving us an angstfest induced by noble idiocy or an avoidable misunderstanding.

Agreed. I think IOIL has some problematic stuff in it, but the characters are people I wouldn't mind knowing, it's funny, and there are genuine problems that need some work, and I think it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. All in all, I don't think it will be a great drama, but it's pretty enjoyable and I look forward to it.

Oddly, my crck drama right now is a high melo weekend drama of all things. Words I never expected to write! I've been watching Jang Bori Is Here, and though it suffers from some of the usual problems of weekend dramas and got off to a slow start, it's oddly transfixing. And it has the secretary from FTLY in a fairly major role, being awesome.

For everyone not happy with current crop of kdramas, you seriously need to start watching Yoo Na's Street which is only the best drama of the year. If you don't believe me, SJR fangirl Mary has also proclaimed YNS as the best drama of the year.

Too bad YNS is flying under the radar outside of Korea, but it is highly popular in Korea. Its cable ratings of low 2s in Korea is better than High School King of Savvy and matches Marriage, not Dating.

So join the rest of us YNS addicts. You'll know when you end up marathon watching all available episodes in 2-3 days like the rest of us when we started watching.

Absolutely agree. Best drama of 2014, hands down. More than 20 eps aired already & not a weak ep so far.
It's kinda sad that the big Kdrama blogs don't talk about the JTBC shows: I've rarely been disappointed with them.

What people say on twitter is their opinion. If you don't like it, respond to them ON TWITTER so they know who you are.

As for the rest of it, kakashi is right: your attack here is chicken.

Mystisith is a long time commenter on DB & is often one of the first in line to say hey wait a minute to a DB thread commenter that acts as if they 'own' DB or tries to dictate content. However, she does have her own thoughts and opinions which she may voice in various venues including her Twitter feed. Mystisith is pretty open about her thoughts and open to debate. If you were reading the tweets, not sure why you did not address your concerns or opinions to Mystisith at the actual tweet, as other people did.

You have a right to criticize what Mysti said on Twitter (to friends, in a conversation not concerning you), but you should have done it there. I disagree with her on some things too, but coming here and posting other people's conversations is a petty thing.

DB are a blog with a considerable audience. People have a right to comment on the content and voice likes and dislikes, since the blog is also monetized. While her comment on what the motivations of the ladies who run it are was unfair speculation, it was something you should have talked to her about there, if you had a disagreement with it.

Mysti is a user in the social media she is in and she does not have the power or public that DB have. Her comments between friends may be public, but they are not material published with the intent of mass consumption from the part of the author (such as blog material is) and therefore not comments which should be distributed and criticized elsewhere.

I agree bloggers have a right to choose their works and I also hate it when people make demands on what they should choose (expressing disappointment with the choices is not a demand, by the way), but I would also reply to people on the comments they made in each separate platform, respecting their right to choose what to say where.

So, good on you for defending a blog you and we all feel grateful to and follow, but you should have made and defended your argument (a good argument too, which does not need low-blow leverage) without resorting to underhanded moves. Moves that look like you are trying to snitch on someone in the very platform they criticized in order to gather bullying support, by the way. If that was not the case, I am being unfair and do apologize, I am just saying what it looks like, since I cannot speak of other people's thoughts and motivations. There's my criticism, on a comment you made here. I said the same things on Twitter, by the way.

Nee,
- I would have preferred to answer you on twitter: If not for my friends texting me to say "hey, problem over here!", I wouldn't even have known cause I don't check after my comments anymore.
- Everyone on twitter is free to disagree with me and your counterarguments would have been welcome (there).
-I didn't say they were paid by DF: I suggested a possibility of common interest and exposed my reasoning behind it. When someone complains about the lack of good shows but misses the ONE good drama of the year currently airing (yes, that's my opinion, I know) you start wondering, furthermore when it's not the first time: That's what I did.
- There is a reason why I comment less on this blog: JB & GF are obviously trying to live from their passion (perfectly OK with me) which means less time for the blog, need for new recappers, new kind of posts etc... Many blogs nowadays try to go from fanblogs to prof blogs: It's not a crime, it's understandable & that's totally their right as is mine to say (again: on Twitter) that this turn of events doesn't have me enthused..
Honestly, I thought about ranting on the OT but why play the party pooper? If JB & GF want to monitor what people say about them & are in search of constructive criticism, they are free to browse the web about their blog and yes, twitter is public.
As an old reader, let me tell you that slowly falling out of love with DB is not a good feeling: I used to check this site first in the morning. Now? Not so much. When I see commenters like you, I tend to think that it was a natural process (lack of drama news or them being late is one of the other reasons if anyone's interested to know).
Droit de response: Done.

Wow, I wasn't aware of those accusations being flung against me, but they're so out of bounds that they're not worth wasting mental energy on. (The assumptions being made are pretty laughably off the mark.) I generally have one response to anyone who feels entitled to dictate how I use my time: I am not your recap monkey!

Sorry, but I find it extremely rude to "tell" on somebody here who said something on Twitter. Fie.

Twitter is public.

still very bad form in my opinion

to me, it's like overhearing a discussion in the schoolyard, staying quiet, and then waiting until everybody is back in the classroom, including the teacher - then confronting the person who talked in the schoolyard (privately, though it's technically public) in front of the teacher, going "teacher, teacher! listen what the bad girl said about you out there!"

If you hear something you don't like, say it then and be part of a conversation. Everything else is chicken to me

Twitter may be public, but users can do and say whatever they want because it's used as a rant/rave place without censoring. Mystisith didn't come here to demand anything, nor did she start some sort of rude discussion, so why would she be attacked like this when her comment posted on DB is totally harmless?

Also, it's just plain weird that you would believe the hyperbolic wank spread by nee, and even give her relevance when it sounds like a brainless troll looking for trouble. I read those twitter opinions and they were perfectly rational doubts by a user. Wow, two people interpret the same sentences on the internet in a completely different way! Such a shock, I know.

If user Mystisith said something on twitter, and nee read it and didn't agree, the place to discuss it with her is, wait for it... Twitter. Here, it just sounds as a bitter DB fangirl, I'm sorry.

As for the PS, everyone has a right to have an opinion on whether certain blogs/posts are interesting to them or not. They did it on their own twitter, and didn't come here to stir up trouble, so I don't understand how anyone could give this nee person any moral autority or relevance when she/he is the one trying to generate some kind of petty scandal.

So defensive...
I have always been for the right of bloggers to recap what they want and I still think that way (thank god, other blogs to catter to my need). If you took the time to read the twitter conversation brought back by Nee, surely you noticed that my problem with the new DB is bigger. Back to YNS. My question is: Have you started watching YNS and if yes, what do you think of it? I would just ask for a little something: 2 sentences in a podcast to say "yes, it has good ratings but i don't like it", or a first impressions post. Anything... As I said on Twitter, the silence is deafening toward this show (and most JTBC dramas really, whatever the reason is). If not for the commenters raving about it in the comments section, your readers wouldn't even know this show exists.
I used to praise this blog you know... Suddenly criticism comes your way and you take it personally. Double standard, how I love you. ;)

@mystisith

JB and GF actually mentioned their feelings on Jtbc and Yoona's Street on a recent (2nd to last, I think) podcast. They stated that they've heard good things about it from "the five people that watch it". They haven't watched it, which is a shame, as it does remind me of certain shows that I know JB, in particular, loved in the past. I, too, would love if they checked it out, but if jtbc isn't their thing (as opposed to tvN) then chances are a lot of those dramas are going to fall by the wayside.

I would like to state, though, that despite whatever lack of exposure Yoona's Street has gotten here, it was still their posts about the show prior to it's premiere that lead to ME searching for it when it first aired. If they hadn't posted about it, I probably wouldn't have discovered this drama and watched the raws when their weren't any subs to be found. They brought it to my attention, at the very least, and I sought it out and posted about it here as a result. Luckily, more people have caught on to how wonderful this drama is and, hopefully, the upside of this commotion is that they'll take a look at it? (Please, JB? I think you'll love it!)

Whaaaaaat. I love all those posts! Especially Faanderay's! Love how she'll check in with different shows each week and provide her insights and commentary on the trajectory of the drama as a whole. It provides a nice overview for those who haven't checked out a series yet and want to see if it's their thing. Seriously, sometimes it shocks me how ungrateful people can be.

In retrospect, I would like to state how this comment was made having no idea of the source matter or what would arise. I merely wanted to defend the posts, but had no idea what I commented on was based on comments that weren't even made here. I wouldn't have involved myself, had I known. But seriously, I think both parties simply need to be careful of what they openly state on the internet anywhere. I certainly know I will take my own advice to heart and will try to refrain from posting rashly.

Peace out? After all that hatred, you say Peace Out as if only your words count?

To me, you sound crazy or super-immature or both if you can't figure out NOT FOLLOWING someone whose opinions you don't like on Twitter.

And I still do not understand why you wouldn't just respond on twitter to things you don't like instead of screeching over here. It's irrational.

@nee, the tweets where we talked about this topic did not disappear. I am looking at our conversation right now.

But if you want to distort people's words (she never mentioned monetary arrangements, getting paid to not review cable or called them puppets) and now reality in general as well, be my guest.

It just harms your argument when you use dirty means to support it. Twitter is public, conversations between friends are their own business. Be confident in your argument next time and defend it with reason instead (which for a large part of your message, you did) .

@nee

So, you're saying you came to DB to complain about Mystisith? Again, just respond to the person at the time on the forum that they used. I have no problem with you taking up your case with her at the place she made the statements you found so offensive. Flaming her at another forum is just stalkerish.

Thus, I stand by my low opinions of your behavior too.

@nee The tweets still exist.

I do not think any of the commenters have a problem with you having an opinion but in my perception it boils down to that it was in bad form that you crossed platforms to address it. It's not cool to do that-that is basically what commenters are saying to you. You should have talked to Mysti about it on Twitter.

If you wanted to talk to JB, fine, but don't ambush someone or flame up a thread, that is the second point comments are making to you. Contact JB through the DB contact email.

Anyone that knows Mysti knows she speculates and comments 'out loud' on Twitter with her friends over many many topics from k drama to politics. For you to suggest she do that on a DB topic THREAD indicates that you do not understand that one does not go on a personal blog THREAD and question the bloggers content or crit the content or lack there of. THAT would be in bad form. But people might talk about blogs and content and topics with friends. Which is the context of Mysti's tweets.

imma give this a try, the Open Thread last year hooked me up with another awesome JTBC show called Cruel City, enough said.

Though it will have to duke it out with Let's Eat for the title of Best Show of 2014, in my head.

Ooh, thank you for that! It looks really good. Can I ask where you're watching it? Because the site I watch dramas on doesn't have it, so that's probably why I didn't know about Yoo Na's Street.

The show is available at DarkSmurfSub, but you have to login to see it. They have the srt subs if you have the raws (available @ usual providers), and also a vid player if streaming is your thing.

Go go go, best drama of 2014 is waiting for you! Haha.

(Chang-man ssiiiii <3)

I have to also put in a word for Yoona's Street. It is one of the rare long dramas that does not seem forced to go long via directing techniques to extend shots to fill in time. There are enough characters and side-plots to keep you engaged and every character including the leads are quirkily imperfect.

The drama clearly deserves more recognition among those that recap/review as that could convince one of the big three/four streaming sites to pick it up.

YNS is also available in HD streaming on myasiantv.com

Thank you! :)

Try m y a s i a n t v . c o m.

Yes! For the "drama tired" beanies, please go watch Yoo Na's Street now. Please?

I've been lurking in the comments section and keep noticing how some of you are so sick of the recycled plot devices, etc etc... Well, good news! There IS a drama airing right now that doesn't throw in random tropes to annoy/hook you.

No amnesia.
No random accidents just because.
No weak acting link in the cast.
No lying, scheming second leads to frustrate you and cockblock the OTP.
No sudden running away to US and coming back all "upgraded".
No shrill, unreasonable in-laws.
No clingy, possessive first-loves.

Now you might be asking: "Then what in Anthony's name does Yoo Na's Street talk about???"

... well, I can't give away spoilers because part of what's amazing about YNS is the surprising things that happen each episode.

I'll just say that if you take away the usual kdrama stuff, you will have lots of room to tell compelling stories, which is what YNS has been doing for 20+ episodes now. ^____^

Just please give it a chance with the "First Two Episodes Test". If you don't like the style, feel free to drop it. :)

But Mary, you left out a very important NO: no idols!!

I'm so bad at spotting idols, I can't be sure if there are any in YNS!

Also, idols are a-okay in my kdrama as long as they can act their role out. ^^

I'm pretty sure i've seen you on soompi before with a different username.

LOL, unless I've got a doppelganger or been a victim of identify theft, I'm pretty sure I use the same username on soompi.

+1 for Yoo Na's Street. Great show!
Good to see some people like Jtbc too! Whenever I see that a show airs on that channel I check it out because it's usually good stuff :)

I can't decide whether I should start It's Okay It's Love or not.....any suggestions??

Depends on what you like, it's really a love-or-hate-it drama. And I say that as a fan.

I would say start it and see it for yourself because as ama said its a love or hate drama, but yeah it would be heavy on the pain in the future episodes

Oh I was wondering what you guys thought about Night Watchman after episode 1. Gosh that show is just bad. Its crazy and characters just have no reason for doing the things they do. I don't understand how I got through 3 hours of it, but that's the most I'll waste over such a stinker.

FTLY actually pulled off one of the best amnesia plots I've seen (and I love amnesia-ridden stories!). I loved how well it was handled, how quickly it was resolved and the sort of destiny-feel to it. It was just executed well. But ever since the leap, it went downhill to nowhere's land. The whole time I thought it was a 16-episoder which would've been so ideal. Now, I'm not even sure what the heck is happening or what Gun is doing. He follows Mi-young around and wants her to not be with Daniel, yet when she asks him, he acts like he doesn't care for her. Why? Because he may die (I'm not even sure), or because there are still many episodes to fill? If he really thinks he's dying, noble idiocy states he should let her be happy with someone else. If he isn't, just fucking tell her that and get over it. UGH. It's this ridiculous, meaningless and idiotic cycle that's been repeating for how many episodes now? So on the verge of dropping that one.

My current favourites are MND and MSH but I've been fangirling over the dramas in the recaps so I won't say much here. But really, this year has been boring. Why are the Hong Sisters hiding?!

Thumbs up for the Hong Sisters comment

Yes...where are the Hong Sisters...I miss them!

I never understood the whole deal of the Noble Idiocy with Gun. Did he and how did he come to his senses that he wants KMY back ANYWAY or not? Does he think that she is engaged to Daniel, if yes what's his deal? Blegh what a mess.

And that amnesia thing still confuses me too. He had two of them, at first it was real but then he went on FAKING it?!

He went through so much just to act like a teenager without guts in the end. Aigoooo

I'm pretty sure I don't understand myself. Initially he was being the noble idiot who didn't want Mi-young to have to take care of him if/when his disease triggers. That part makes sense.

But the leap happens and nothing is clear anymore. So he isn't going to die considering he survived three years and seems perfectly fine? Or does he think he's still gonna die soon? If that's the case, does he want to be with Mi-young even if he were sick, or does he not? If he thinks she's with Daniel then is he actively trying to win her back (by doing nice things and not telling her its him) or is he just... not? Like WTF is happening in this show, I legitimately don't understand.

The amnesia: He really did forget 3 months of his life. But when he got back his memory, he acted like he still didn't remember because he wanted to drive Mi-young away. But she found out he faked it and still asked him to stay with her - which is refused. Up until the leap, everything made sense, then the writer's brain went to Hawaii for some relaxation.

I swear if the leads were anyone but the two Jangs, I would have dropped it like a hot potato at that point. Gun makes no sense!

"But the leap happens and nothing is clear anymore."

-That small statement pretty much captures everything wrong for me. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE ANYONE STANDS. Or what they're thinking. And everything just feels disconnected, disjointed, and lacking in direction.

I'm actually someone who can forgive noble idiocy and amnesia in dramas if I feel like it leads to an interesting place. And I was super excited for this portion when the time-skip occurred because I assumed it would be a lot of fun, but the last four episodes have just been very lacking for me.

Why is it not clear?

Gun loves Mi Young but isn't trying to get her back because she acts like the very sight of him causes her physical anguish and she has said repeatedly that she doesn't want anything to do with him and, I assume, there's still an issue of his illness. Although of course in the end he'll either be cured or they'll decide it's worth it even if it's two years and then he dies.

Mi Young loves him too, but truly doesn't want to be with him, at least at first, because it's just too painful and too much has happened. So she's trying to move on, and there's a chance it could be with Daniel.

Who is and has been in love with Mi Young quite straightforwardly, and now he's put her on alert that he will no longer be relegated to 'neighborhood oppa' without even trying to win her heart as a man.

And Se Ra still loves Gun but knows that ship has sailed. Still, she's not above a bit of snippiness when it comes to Mi Young.

Episode 12 of Fated had set an emotional bar that is too high to maintain plus, it also changed the tone of the drama. I kinda feel sorry for the writer. I can forgive all the loitering done during the past few episodes if the writer can give me a really good payoff by episode 17.

I am hanging on for dear life with It's Okay, It's Love. It's really testing my love for Gong Hyo Jin. hehe A person who has been traumatized to a point where she gets panic attacks when doing skinship suddenly is okay with having sex in a public beach is too far fetched. Most normal people wouldn't even do that.

The Hong Sisters can take as much time as they need as long as they don't give me another BIG.

I see Surplus Princess as akin to watching Dumb and Dumber.. Just have to turn off everything and enjoy the gags.

Speaking of Dumb and Dumber, I saw the preview for Dumb and Dumber 2 and it's hilarious! ILIKEITALOT! lol

Off topic
I've been meaning to share this with you since we both like the same drama- our popcorn couple
This is the harder to find link ...enjoy

Aaawww! Thanks! I still miss our weirdo couple!

Night Watchman was a stinker - we all called it beforehand, it looks and feels like a budget Gu Family Book written by lazy monkeys.

And seconding the Hong Sisters comment! Of all the years for them to take a break....sure they fall victim to the amnesia/noble idiot flagging in the middle of the series too, but I liked how speedily they dealt with it in Master's Sun.

(can they please come back with a great OTP and snappy concept SOON. Their dramas may be fkawed at times but at least they have a handle on romcoms and good casting of leads)

I actually really loved GFB and found it extremely entertaining in this popcorn-and-pop type drama. Of course that ending wasn't so great, but I even grew to sorta accept/like it after giving it a few days. Night Watchman, on the other hand, is a nightmare in motion. The CGs were my biggest concern - which are decent enough. The writers are on crack though, seriously. It's shockingly bad.

Maybe the Hong Sisters didn't want to be sucked in the whirlpool of crap. Or... they have a huge project lined up. I hope they'll return early next year - as in January early.

>It’s shockingly bad

Aw, I'm loving it. I was on the fence until I saw the Prince put on a pair of modern sunglasses, and then I said "Ohhhhhh....it's that kind of show." So now I'm just enjoying the improbable swordwork, eye candy, ghosties, and tongue-in-cheek history. (Plus, dragon.)

LOL I'm convinced the Hong Sisters must always be working some sort of magic in their dramas because whenever noble idiocy or amnesia strikes, it barely affects my enjoyment.

Sigh,I miss the Hong Sisters so much. My sentimental best ever kdrama is Greatest Love with Master's Sun coming a close 2nd. Their OTPs are always fantastic

I feel their void but its just not avid fans like me,My sister who sees dramas once in a while, asks me every two weeks is there any hong sister's coming out?

I don't know why I am sticking with Night Watchmen -- I don't love the lead in anything I've seen him in; the shaman's costume is insane, the plot wanders all over the place, and the big bad is beyond silly. But I'm still there -- I love the little girl ghost and the guy who fights the king and quotes poetry intrigues me a bit. I am a sucker for poetry. Still ... I can't explain why I am hanging in.

I love the Night watchman's Journal too.

I feel sad when I read all the comments bashing the drama. The thing is I have no expectations of the drama, none at all, so it's hard not to be entertained by all its shinanegans. The drama doesn't take itself seriously at all (Note Jung Il woo's shades) so why should I?

Plus the lead girl improves in later episodes.

I'm not saying watch if you don't want to watch because it is TERRIBLY TERRIBLY written...but you might have fun with the recaps (link above) - since they're all pictures with captions, and don't necessarily tell the same story as the actual show. Close enough, but with some added detail.

It's very frustrating, though, I agree. Multiple characters have been introduced with no information provided - sometimes not even a name. Makes it a bit difficult to figure out what's what, sometimes.

If I ever say I love the show, it surely will not be for the quality of the writing or the acting, that is for sure.

The Hong sisters. WHERE ARE YOU. I can't even remember how many times I've watched The Master's sun anymore.
This year is the year of dropping shows for me :( couldn't complete one single drama. The rom-coms this year was a huge disappointment.

Aaah Trot Lovers. I really loved that drama with burning passion...until episode 9. After that episode all my desire to watch it just disappeared completely (it was weird because it wasn't even the amnesia episode). And after reading the recaps i'm glad i stopped.

Well, lets wait for that drama that makes you want to recap again. I am enjoying the dramas Im watching right now. They are so light and fun and I am in the mood for them so yay. Fated to love you at the moment its a mix where I watch half of the episode, get bored, and i just wait for the recap. I was happy with this version because the taiwanese makes me cringe and this one was better, but it should had been 16 episodes.

Currently watching joseon gunman, show started off really bright and promising but kinda got stuck in all that political scheme and revenge rehash midway. It seems like 'the princess man' all over again, only this time the storyline seems so dated. Pity because they could have elaborated more on the change in joseon of the 19th century, but they chose to play out the evil man-revenge-betrayal-feeble king plot yet again.

Exactly, it started off with the potential to legitimately be a GREAT show (and with a leading man who has the ability to pull it off) but it lost itself pretty fast.

I really do appreciate certain elements of the drama, like Lee Jun-ki's performance, great action scenes, and most of all, the Choi father-daughter duo.

But in many ways, you are right, it feels like they are drawing too literally on The Princess' Man. And at least TPM had a central romance where the leading lady behaved like a girl of her time without seeming like an incompetent nitwit whose only job is to stand there and say 'ye' to everyone's proposals (attempts to make her relevant to the storyline largely feel artificial).

I'm still kind of angry about "Trot Lovers", because I thought it was fun for about the first 5 episodes, and once it hit the amnesia (::rolls eyes::) I dropped it like a rock. I couldn't even watch the last episode because it was so aggravating.

I'm still waaaay over-invested in "Marriage, Not Dating", and mourning the airing of the last episode today. ::sad face::

But at least I've found a couple of fun shows to help me cope with the loss of MnD - I think "Surplus Princess" is a riot (and a bit of a guilty pleasure, because it's not the most highbrow drama). Although...I just finished watching Song Jae Rim in "Two Weeks" (where he plays a cold-as-ice assassin), and so seeing him in this frothy comedy makes his character seem a lot more sinister than I think he's supposed to be.

I'm enjoying "My Secret Hotel", too (murder mystery? Right up my alley,) and I like "The Night Watchman" a lot more than I expected to - I was not expecting a lot after seeing stills with the half-naked shaman and the bad wig-bad guy, but the dragon redeemed all. Now I'm eager to see what's going to happen to the ghost-seeing prince and his trio of ghostly retainers.

Re Surplus Princess being "a bit of a guilty pleasure, because it’s not the most highbrow drama" - LOL!! Highbrow it most definitely ain't!

For me, it's completely and enjoyably silly, but what I also appreciate is that it deals with some, er, adult themes and trends in a pretty frank way. Early days yet, but I'm pinning my expectations on the fact that it's tvN.

>For me, it’s completely and enjoyably silly, but what I also appreciate is that it deals with some, er, adult themes and trends in a pretty frank way.

Oh, I definitely appreciate that - and it's what elevates it from just silliness to a fun adult comedy. So far, I really like all the characters (even the ex-girlfriend, who at first seemed like a cardboard scheming second lead seems to have hidden depths.) I especially like the shared-house roommates.

Yes, look forward to discovering why Ha Ni is the "Surplus Princess"!

I think it's because she's a princess and the house she's living in is called the Surplus Share House. And I gather from earlier DB articles that "surplus princess" sounds a bit like "mermaid" in Korean, so it's a kind of pun. If there's another layer of meaning to the title, I guess we'll find out!

Yoo Na's Street - heard good things so i picked this up. Liked it at first but i've been slowly losing interest and i'm not sure if i'm gonna continue watching (on episode 17 i think).

Fated - i put it on hold after the first two episodes because of the horrible way they chose to execute the one night stand. Skimmed some recaps and it seems like Gun finding out that he was drugged that night somehow broke the trust that he had in the female lead's innocence...but then, before his knowledge of the drugging, how exactly did he think he ended up sleeping with her...he knew that he wasn't drunk and a person doesn't just wake up, have sex with somebody and then not remember ever having done it. So yeah, i dropped it after that.

MND - loved it at first. The second leads can be frustrating and my love for it has waned a bit but i still really like it overall.

IOIL - on hold after the first 8 episodes. not sure if it's worth continuing.

The 3 Musketeers - Thought the first episode was decent. Thought that he fight/action scenes were poorly done though.

Discovery of Romance - really enjoyed the first two episodes.

Probably going to give Surplus Princess and My Secret Hotel a try at some point.

Also, with Fated, how did he think he got to his room, given that the drugging was later a revelation to him...either he remembers stumbling to his room or he doesn't, but either way you would think that he would have had some serious questions about what exactly happened to him that day. My head hurts just trying to make any sense of the situation that lead to their marriage.

Girlfriday, since you're watching everything under the sun these days, is there a chance of adding the series you've finished (including the older ones) in your "ratings" section?
If you're like Cinderella, trying on shoes that may fit, I'm more of a window-shopper, checking out the display before trying them on. And I happen to love your "brochures" (lol) because they are honest and objective.

Many thanks for this interesting, informative, and fun-filled site!

I was in a drama slump, but My Secret Hotel sucked me right back in. Granted, there's only been two episodes, and that there's a writer switch (after the 4th episode?) because the original writer passed away (bless her), but I'm holding out hope. I'm still iffy on the mystery aspect of the show, though I'm enjoying everything else about it - the romance (oh! the romance), characters, music, its quirkiness.... love it all so far.

Does anyone else really want My Secret Hotel to be a success simply because of the writer?

There's something so lovely about the fact that the drama she never got to finish is continuing on. I hope that, even if it isn't a drama that captures all it's viewers, it will at least consistently satisfy it's fans until the end. I'll love it if her last impact on the world turns out to be a wonderful one :)

Definitely! I hope the new writer, the entire production crew, and the actors give the story justice. *g*

Totally. I love the show for what it is, but I hope it turns out to be well received and liked by many too because it'll help us all remember her last great work.

I recently started watching You're the Best Lee Soon Shin and I think it's great so far (I'm up to around ep 10). I love family dramas and IU is cute as a button!

hmmmmmm.....

but I do agree, IU is cute as a button!