Lee Jin-wook, Moon Chae-won to headline revenge drama Goodbye Mr. Black
Ooh, Lee Jin-wook (The Time I’ve Loved You) starring in a revenge drama? I like the sound of that. So much brooding to be done! Count of Monte Cristo-inspired manhwa adaptation Goodbye Mr. Black has secured a Wednesday-Thursday timeslot on SBS this fall. The production has been courting Moon Chae-won (Good Doctor) to play the leading lady, and now both leads are confirmed.
The revenge melodrama is an adaptation of a 1980s manhwa series by Hwang Mi-na set in England and Australia, about a man who gets betrayed by his best friend and lover, and framed for a crime. After time spent abroad, he returns with a new identity to get his revenge. It remains to be seen how the story will be adapted, since early announcements about the drama mentioned extended overseas shoots, but the latest casting stories don’t indicate that it’s set abroad.
Lee Jin-wook will star as a Navy SEAL and a member of the Underwater Demolition Team, who was met with misfortune and betrayed by his friend out of the blue. He was once an optimistic man, but after being stabbed in the back by his best friend, he only dreams of vengeance. The drama is about his revenge plot, as he decides to go up against the friend to find out the truth behind his downfall.
In order to invent a new identity, he gets fake-married to Moon Chae-won, a bright, cheerful young woman who’s rough around the edges and does what she pleases. Despite it being a fake relationship for appearance’s sake, she’ll begin to change him in unexpected ways, and help rebuild his ability to love and trust in other people. Yeah but… he’s still going to get his revenge, right?
Directing is PD Lee Chang-min of Bride of the Sun and Birth of a Beauty, and writing is Moon Hee-jung of Can You Hear My Heart and I Miss You. Goodbye Mr. Black follows Village on Wednesdays and Thursdays in November.
- Moon Chae-won offered lead in SBS’s Goodbye Mr. Black
- SBS eyes manhwa adaptation Goodbye Mr. Black
- The Time I’ve Loved You: Episode 1
- Han Hyo-joo and the many faces of the man who loves her
- Lee Jin-wook says no to Hello Monster, maybe to In Time With You remake
- Yoo Yeon-seok, Lee Jin-wook, Park Seo-joon cast to play one leading man
- Three Musketeers: Episode 1
- New posters and trailer arrive for The Target
- Shim Eun-kyung’s grandma body-swap comedy Suspicious Girl
- Nine: Series review (spoiler free)