Open Thread #424

Jang Hye-jin – “Good Time”Download ]

Hi there
Notes of the week:
since the only kdrama that draws me in right now is Reply 1988 and others sub so slowly, I started a jdorama Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku and it is so cute!such a simple concept but so much space to play around with it, plus a convincing and sincere way of delivering comic moments which I like. P.S. that white cat is so cool. I like the pairing of a female detective and an ulucky "Watson" and how he starts each day being a stranger to her, yet they seem so close in a moments´ time.
I shopuld watch mopre jdoramas. I like the fantasy elements and comedy. Do you know any like that airing currently?

Oh, who hasn´t heard yet, "The Throne" ("Sado) won the Black Nights Film Festival main competition in Tallinn last week, and also won in original score category.

and I started watching Wonderful Days. I admit, at first I took a peek cause I heard uri Taekie aka Park Bo Gum was playing the young version of the main character, but then Kim Hee Sun! she just has a way of getting you invested and she is one of my favorites, and I know I can be sure if she is in a drama it is worth watching for that alone, even 50 episodes. we´ll see if that is enough to keep me at it. and generally, I really like most of the characters. Donghui is such a rebel, but you just know he has a good heart. He is not hiding it very well...
also trying out different japanese detective series to see if any are as good as OKnB

question: I repeat my last question, since it probably went unnoticed. who are generally better comedians /funnier as a rule, men or women? Is there a difference in their style, and which do you prefer?
(we have the local version of Your Face Sounds Familiar ending this weekend, and there are two guys and two ladies in the finale. People here seem to prefer the below the belt, masculine raugh humor, but my taste is the sophisticated, fine humor that the actresses are bringing. It irks me, that most people have lost the ability to understand anything above fart jokes. Like living with 1 million 5th graders.

Yes, Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku is very cute. How come this totally gray( white) hair girl with glasses is so cute ? Both actor/actress fit for their roles.

I always wonder why JDrama usually do not get English title. Non Japanese viewers even cannot guess what Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku means!! All the casts' names have interesting meanings in this drama.

see, didn´t even know that! I would love to know the meaning of their names. yeah, the white hair - it doesnt loiok natural, but I can´t imagine her with any other hair. kind of reminds me of Dr Frost

the Japanese title is 掟上今日子の備忘録. This mean that Bobiroku( list of not to forget) of Okitegami Kyoko( heroine's name). Her name 今日子 means the child(子)( female names often end with Ko( Child) of Today(今日). Kanji( Chinese letter) of her last name consists of Okite (掟)- meaning of (unwritten) rule- and above(上)
Male lead's name is 隠舘 厄介(kakushidate Yakusuke) Yaku厄 means bad luck and in the old time many male names end with suke( 介). his last name 隠舘 means house舘 of concealment隠
Do their names fit for who they are?!
I hope this helps.

oh wow! Thanks! This really helps. So do all the other characters have telling names?

To Carole:

Yes, all the name has meaning for his/her identity/trait/personality.
The drama is light and fun, nothing serious and based on a part of so called' light novel series'( what ever it means)

thank you! and I add, it might be light, but I am amazed at how all the actors somehow sync with similar acting style, like they really belong to the same reality and universe. I think that is a special charm of jdoramas, while in korean dramas you always find a character or two so off-beat compared to the rest

the drama seems to be moving on to another arc, now we know the main chatachers so well, and they gone about as far as they can with the romance for now, at lest she accpeted him as her partner. I have seen her old boyfriend from some other drama but can not remember where.

I can't decide if who(men or women) are better comedians- I think I equally laughed in the shows (Modern farmer, She was pretty, Reply 88 and many). (I always read your questions, but don't have answers most of time- too hard for me. lol)
And Wonderful Days- My favorite was epilogue in the last episode (So artistic with black and white cinematography).

Men and women are both good comedians, depends more on the personality really. She Was Pretty is funny but in a subtle way and Modern Farmer...GOSH, I haven't even watched it yet but I saw snippets with Lee Hong-Ki in em, made me laugh loud!

ooh, maybe i'll watch Okitegami. Been catching up on jdramas and cdramas of late. Thanks.

watch slow, cause it is only subbed till ep 7 and if you marathon it, you´ll grow too impatient. can you do that? ...or not..

I can, I think. Cause i'm still catching up on nirvana in fire and disguiser. So there's time. Thanks.

I am behind on Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku (watched 1-3) – but I really like it as well. These kind of comedic roles suit Okada Masaki so much better.

It's simple, but it's well-made and well cast (both roles and supporting roles), so it works.

I saw Sado at the Black Nights Film Festival! It sure was worth all the prizes it got. For those interested in exploring the surreal reality of North Korea I`d recommend the winner in the best director category Under the Sun ( See trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QRFx5pXb_M)

Reply 1988 is also probably my favorite at the moment. It seems to fit extremely well with the spirit of approaching Christmas with sugary and sometimes bittersweet love between family and friends (could do with a bit less yelling though). Also watching Oh My Venus, but am likely to drop it soon. Many of the tropes of the drama seem to be a bit worn, even though I am a big fan of Shin Min Ah. Adored her in My Girlfriend is a Gumiho years ago.

Also following Japanese time-travel/history drama-comedy Samurai Sensei with Ryo Nishikido. Have been enjoying it so far, even though I don't get many of the Japanese history jokes.

Oh? you were at the festival? Great!

just visiting or...?
same for Oh My Venus. there are no surprises there for me

Nah... I`m Estonian, born and raised. Really nice to see fellow drama lovers!

Was already feeling a bit lonely on my own, as my friends feel indifferent at best about my adventures in the Asian dramaland. How do others deal with this?

Jeee! nii tore! kus Sa elad ka?

the % of estonians is growing. as slow as our birth rate... nope, that one is dropping though...

Tallinnas. Sa ise?

Kah. Kalamajas. Töötan Lennusadamas.

My Little Love is pretty cute... based on a manga, i think.

but my FAV jmovie is "Cyborg She" or "Cyborg Girl"... super good!
; )

yeah, I watched ep 1-2 of this as well, but there is less content and an annoying female rival. Still, pretty cute fantasy, since I am also a fan of Viplala, then I have a weakness for tiny people stories ( also Arrietty and Nils Holgerson!) But I dunno. It lacks plot a little.

Kyoko no Biboroku´s mystery, pace and style reminds me of Liar Game (japan version) as well

You should try watching deka wanko. Not really new but extremely funny and entertaining. Plus it have fantasy and comedy elements.

Hi Everyone and Happy Weekend once again.

It's been busy and I've not been watching much of anything.

Since I found that Imaginary Cat was finally subbed, I just watched the first episode and read the recap for the second. It's interesting that there is going to be more backstory for a show of only 8 short episodes, but I suppose although many of us might be able to watch Yoo Seung Ho cavorting with a sweet cat all day, many others might find it boring after a while and appreciate more plot! :D It's been a sweet watch and so pleasant after a hard week or two.

I also managed to read one recap of Bubblegum and FFD through episode 12 (it was by mistake but I continued watching anyway).

*** SPOILER?? ***

I had already become very interested in and engaged by the many characters in this show, so that the lack of action or new developments did not bother me. I just wanted to see how their emotional journeys developed and understand the decisions they made. I found that the comments made in Ep 11 turned out correct in Ep 12... "Way to go Beanie commenters! You interpreted the characters well."

Oh My Venus is continuing to be entertaining with some really lovable side characters like Henry.

*** SPOILER?? ***

I do like that it's not shallow or just about appearances, but that there's the issue of health, (and maybe there'll be an issue of abuse?) and the characters are slowly being given more depth. And of course, Shin Min Ah who seems to be able to have chemistry with practically anything... or OK... every actor I've seen her with, is great with So Ji Sub. They're just great together, even great when acting like they're thinking about each other. LOL! Fun show!

Imaginary Cat is finally subbed? Okay, will go looking and reward myself by watching it tonight.

Hi Carole
Yes, at least just the first episode is subbed. I watched on Dramacool. :)

Thank you! I need something sweet to end the week.

the focus on health is something I really do appreciate about Oh My Venus - it saves it from being Birth of a Beauty-esque levels of absurd (I watched only a few episodes but the premise was too much for me in the end).

And yes, Shin Mina and So Ji-sub have amazing chemistry. I feel like her beauty leads to people often downplaying her skills as an actress, but she's a solid performer who has made some very interesting choices in film and doesn't rest on the crutch of her looks, unlike some.

Yes, I find Song Hye Kyo and Kim Tae Hee very attractive to look at but somehow, I do not just look at Shin Min Ah. When I watch her, I feel I'm watching something substantial, even as the gumiho with Lee Seung Gi.

I forgot to say that the other thing I really appreciate about Bubblegum is the cinematography and the music that goes with the scenes. The warm settings, soft lighting and the feel of light takes the hard edge away from the painful scenes.

It might be a little confusing, but I even like the splicing of the screens (split screen action) and the mirror images. They speak so profoundly of how similar our OTP are to each other and how connected they remain in their separation.

As a piece of 'art' it's lovely to look at. As a vehicle in which to bring us the minute layers of growth of the many sweet and quirky characters, I find it surprisingly heart warming and fascinating.

Get un-busy soon, Unni. I hope you enjoy the best time of the year.

Thanks @ pancchi! GO GO!!

It'll be a bit hard to not be busy right now what with projects to do and travelling and more work and Christmas. However I'll always be keeping in touch when I can!

Based on the recaps, the cat seems to be left alone for long periods of time.

@ Snickers?

Yes, even in Ep 1, the poor cat was home alone waiting quite often, and not always fed on time. She is several times shown wondering when the human will return. That is one really good-natured cat!

Happy Friday (and Happy Shopping! if you are not done yet)
I will be busy writing Christmas cards this weekend. It seems that the only thing I send by mail these days are Christmas cards (Thank you internet!).

(Ent) News this week.
1. More 2015 year-end awards:
-Grimae Awards: Koran television? photography association(KTPA) presents Grimae Awards on Dec 10th.
Yeon JungWoon and Soo Ae (The Mask) get best actor and actress awards. New actress award goes to Jo BoAh (Please Mom).
Grand prize goes to the drama 'YongPal' and show's photography directors.

-Critics' Choice television Awards: Broadcast Film Critics Association(BFCA) presents CCTA on Dec 16th.
Drama: Punch
Variety show: Three meals a day-Fishing village, King of mask singer.

-Korean Hallyu(Korean Wave) awards: Top Drama award(for popular culture) went to YongPal.

2. Descendants of the Sun and SJG's injury:
Filming of the DOTS to be shown after Master of trade is delayed because of Song JoongGi's injury.
He hurt during action filming on 23rd, and is getting treatments. Production team says they have no idea when he can return because his injury is rather serious (His arm and right knee). They still hope Show can air early next year.

3. Youth before flowers in Iceland: Kang HaNeul(Miseang) joined as the luggage boy. PD Na said youngest Kang HaNeul was smarter than three traveling dummies. Can't wait to see this.

4. Award-unlucky Ji Sung has his fan meeting on Dec 5th. I am nervous for him now that (his partner) Hwang JungEum is big contender for the MBC year-end award.

5. Biggest news was Mnet Asian Music Awards(2015 MAMA) occurred in HongKong on Dec 2nd.
BigBang got the most prizes (this year's singer, this year's song). Exo got good prizes (this year's album). Why do I even mention this? Because there were Yoo Yeon-suk and Son Ho-jun(reply 1994) couple giving out an award who complained why only they don't have female partners(but looking adorable together).

Drama-wise: I am watching all 4 M-T dramas, Master of trade, Sweet and savage family, Reply 1988, and I have a lover. The ones I watch as it’s being uploaded are SFD, reply 88, I have a lover.

SFD: Byun Yo-han is the love. I wondered about his name because it is not common Korean name. Yo-han is John(from bible) in Korean (I get it because his father is minister). I read his hang-out friends include JiSoo (SGG), Lee DongWhi and Ryu JoonYeol(AM 1988) -all my favorites.
I laughed watching BTS about Yoo Ah-In and Byun Yo-han climbing up to the roof for earlier scenes. YIN crawls up to the roof, calling 'mom!'. He was so scared and it was adorable. BYH stands up on the roof saying he is not scared, even showing some aegyo. But staff said his leg was shaking (from fear).lol.

Reply 88: They say JungBong/An Jae-hong is the only actor without any makeup. Famous actor Song GangHo once complemented him as 'national treasure level actor'. Btw I read He requested a romance line with Bora. heh.
Also I love all songs. We saw Sin Hae-chul (singer) debuted(that college singing competition on TV). This is 1 year anniversary of his sudden death- recently I watched Sin Hae-Chul episode in Hidden singer and Immortal Songs- very emotional. Too bad his death is still questioned (Mal-practice or not. He was working on collaboration project with other singers. One day He went to hospital saying his stomach hurts and that was the end, as I read)
Also I saw the comments about bananas in last episode (wondering why it is a big deal). I remember when I was young(way before 88), banana was such a treat (Only ate when received as gift by someone). They did not have in the (regular) market. This show gives me so much feels, old memories.

Also I finished 54 eps of NIF recommended in the last OT, and really enjoyed (except some cheesy fighting scenes). I think this one is my favorite among a few C-drama(historicals) that I have watched. Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm not into K-pop but I like watching Immortal. They have some really great talents there like The One, I enjoy both his English and Korean songs. I wonder if he was raised in the US. He doesn't have an accent when he sings in English.
Love Eunji,Hyorin and Ailee there too.

Yohan is also the Hebrew version of John, so it's quite common in my native community (we're Christian). It's not common to have names that transliterate so perfectly across languages, but I really like it. And yes, Byun Yo-han shows up quite a bit on Ji-soo's instagram, it's really cute. Ji-soo is quite the hyung collector :)

re: bananas, they're so common where I'm from that the idea of them being a luxury was honestly a surprise to me when I saw that in dramas. And I absolutely hated bananas when I was growing up - people used to do all kinds of things to them as food, including frying whole bananas in their skins and making them into chips (which I REALLY hated!)

I thought the Grimae awards were quite prestigious, and I'm happy to see Jo Boa get some recognition for her acting, but they picked Yongpal for the grand prize? As the best drama of 2015? That's odd.

I'm the opposite lol. I love fried bananas especially when it's almost ripe. It has a sweet taste to it.

I've actually come to appreciate bananas later in life, but I still can't stand the cooked ones - I'm ok with the taste but I hate the texture. Though I think frying bananas works only with certain varieties of banana.

Yea, you either love it or hate it. Plantain is the best to cook because it doesn't fall apart easily.

Not just bananas. Pineapple? I only saw in the book. Spam? Only richest kids' lunch box had it (sold it in black market). List goes on...

yeah we're a tropical country so bananas, mango and pineapple etc are actually local fruits i.e. cheap for us. But anything that needed a colder climate than ours to grow was either expensive (cherries, strawberries, plums, grapes) or totally unavailable (raspberries).

I remember as a kid in the early 90s, it certainly wasn't common to eat meat every day. And only rich kids could afford to buy CDs - cassette tapes were one-third the price so people bought them even in the late 90s/early 00s.

oh and speaking of Byun Yo-han.....

(our One International newbies together again!)

Thank you for sharing this!! I dont know how I missed this...omg theyre so precious. I hope they dont have another fistfight over Chief Oh.

in the 1980ies bananas were a luxury here too. but then again, so were toilet paper, sneakers, jeans or pantyhose. or just about everything. when dad went to Finland with a choir, he brought some dark green bananas that ripened after 2 months of waiting, almost.

Awww Byun Yo Han is a PK! Never would have guessed!

Oh gee, Wishing Joong Gi well and a quick recovery.

same here. Thank goodness this at least didn't happen during a live shoot, if they try to get him back on set before he's healed the way they did for Lee Yubi (who had a slipped disc injury on the set of Scholar Who Walks the Night), it'll be really unfair.

Back pain is no joke. And to think he made it through military training with no injury but to return to this.

I knooow--sometimes it's hard to even sit up, and she was working around the clock at a job that demands physical activity (not sure how active her role was, but it doesn't take much :( ). I really hope she's taken a lot of time off since then and done some physical therapy.

Hi Beanies.. Happy Friday..

First time posting in OT.. been lurking for quite a while tho..

On the drama front, none of the new offering in Kdrama manage to capture my interest, except for Reply 1988.. as a 70’s baby, I’m exactly the same age as Deoksoon & the boys in 1988, so this series is more relatable to me then 1997 or 1994.. However Hyeri is not as good as Go Ara or Jung Eunji.. still watchable but not as endearing.

While waiting for sub for Reply, I’ve start a brave journey of watching 133 episode of Ugly Alert.. so far so good.. the first 51 episode were sooooo good, I’ve finished it in 3 days - who need to sleep if you have coffee & good drama? after episode 60 it was slowed down a bit.. but still interesting.

Thinking of starting a new sageuk, which one is better? The Merchant Gaekju or Six Flying Dragon?

Welcome!

I haven't seen much of Merchant but I hear it's good. Six Flying Dragons is definitely PERFECT! After you get caught up on all the politics and understand who everyone is (after the time jump at episode 5) then it's a total treat. Dragons is historical, but Merchant doesn't seem to be. So that might help you decide.

Glad you can join us in OT, Chris! (I am criminally lacking in English, but still hanging around here lol, since this is THE place I get my share of drama recaps and comments and all)

"However Hyeri is not as good as Go Ara or Jung Eunji."- that is why we have 6 adults team- always reliable~

Ugly Alert - good, but I didn't like the middle part (slow and all). LOVE Yim Joo-hwan and Gang So-ra.

Sageuk - SFD for sure. Merchant got better, but I hated all the cryfest, cruel acts, love triangle and stuff - More business please (Only now we get some)

hmm.. two for two.. looks like I'll be watching six flying dragon this weekend..

thank you fan & carole.. ^_^

lol yes the adults are really great--I'm really enjoying Kim Sung-gyun and of course Sung Dong-il and Lee Deok-hwa. They're getting much better story lines too imo. I just wish we had someone as talented as Jung Woo to anchor the younger gen this time.

Hi Chris, in my opinion Ugly Alert is one of the best daily dramas there is (those that are subbed anyway), I thoroughly enjoyed it. Currently watching another daily, A Daughter Just Like You, 120 episodes. Just finished ep 51 and I have to say that it is so enjoyable, the romance of the middle daughter is so cute. You should possibly give it some consideration.

Ugly Alert is my first daily.. don't think I can keep up with another one at the moment, but I'll keep your recs in my "maybe later" list.. thank you.. ^_^

Chris ~

I'm watching both Merchant and 6FD. Enjoying both. 6FD seems to get much more love by the subbers.

Merchant takes forever for subs which kind of puts a damper on things, at least for me.

Yu Oh-Seong is worth it.

John ~

I saw at ODK that the merchant already subbed up to episode 19, just 2 episode short of the newest ones.

Really want to see both, but watching sageuk always make me wants to forget my responsibilities.. like works, housekeeping and sleep.. ^_^

So maybe I'll start with SFD and wait until EoY holiday for merchant marathon session.

Yoo Oh-sung is a great actor. He pretty much was the reason I stayed watching Joseon Gunman, where his villain turn was to the drama what Loki was to Thor (i.e. scene-stealer - even ahead of Lee Jun-ki, whom I am a shameless fangirl of)

Welcome!

I'm watching 6FD but I'll let the other ladies give the reviews. I'm might ruin it for you lol.

I really like 1988 despite being too young to remember that year lol. But yeah, it's a good thing the story also spends so much time with the parents and siblings, because although Hyeri's really cute and doing much better than anyone expected, Jung Eunji and Go Ara were better (and JEJ in particular a lot more charismatic). But Ryu Joon-yeol is killing it.

re: sageuks, go for 6FD. I've been very on-and-off with it but I do recognise it's good.

re: Shin Hae-chul (RIP), I know a little of his music from it being featured in movies. Which makes me really sad that the Korean music scene seems to be so pop-centric, because if this is the kind of rock Korea produces, I wish we got to see more like him.

oop sorry, the bit about Shin Hae-chul was meant to go in a reply to @fan.

Hi Pogo..

Maybe you should listen to Bohwal and Sinawe.. both are rock band that has been active for forever.. i think it's 30 years and running for Bohwal.

They're music is really good. But I prefer the earlier albums.

Thanks for the recs, Chris! The only Korean non-pop acts I know of are relatively more recent ones like Jang Ki-ha and the Faces and Akdong Musician, but I actually like a lot of older Korean music, pre-pop. Trot Lovers was a terrible drama but I have it to thank for introducing me to a lot of great trot songs, and Jung Eun-ji for singing them so beautifully.

about remembering 1988... gold medal in cycling from Seoul... The Singing Revolution... Estonian flag raised after 50 years... 1988 was the highlight year, actually. the spirit was high and stuff.

welcome, Chris! I guess everyone is taking on long older dramas huh

Where are you watching ugly alert?? :)

R.I.P Scott Weiland.

My very good friend whom I haven't seen in at least a year is in town and staying with us for a while, I'm hoping he'll stay with us through Christmas but I have my doubts. He was in Brazil for a while teaching English and I believe studying as well, then last year he was in one of the Dakotas I forget which helping the I think Lakota tribe with AmeriCorp.

Answer Me 1988 is the only drama I'm watching at the moment and I haven't finished this weeks, really last weeks, episodes yet.

I suspect I'll come out of the holidays with a renewed zest for dramas after a fairly long break, of sorts.

yes RIP-I got to see Weiland with Stone temple pilots play at the Weenie Roast. He came on stage wearing a dress and a wig so that Gwen Steffani, the only female on the roster, wouldn't feel alone!

"You always were my favorite drug,
Even when we used to take drugs" STP

A lot of great fromtmen from the grunge era are gone...many wiped out by drug addiction. I saw a video comparing his life performance today to his heyday and he was a shell of his former self and it was like watching an 80 year old man perform. I almost cried. He was a great talent and at least he went peacefully in his sleep.

Not really watching anything right now except Oh My Venus - with liberal amounts of skipping over all the chaebol parts. More fabulous couple skinship please, and less boring rich people sniping at each other and feeling sorry for themselves. But I love So Ji-sub and Shin Mina together, and also that whistling background tune.

Answer Me 1988 is starting to feel really long, which it didn't at first. Please god, don't drag as much as 1994!

I'm looking forward more to drama specials these days, than the full-length dramas - namely Splish Splash Love (Yoon Doojoon and Kim Seulgi) and Page Turner (because Park Hae-ryun, Kim So-hyun and Ji-soo!). I noticed they also cast Shin Jae-ha, who played young hyung in Pinocchio and was also in Sassy Go Go - lots of reunions happening here!

I still miss Sassy Go Go, but the effort to get over it by watching Answer Me 1997 is going pretty well. Jung Eunji is ADORABLE.

Hey pogo! Where did you see Page Turner? What's it about? Am watching Reply as well. Cause everyone recommended it.

I didn't see anything of Page Turner - they only just cast the actors, I suppose they're filming now!

Supposedly it's about a young musical prodigy who has some connection to an athlete with a bulldozer personality (that's Ji-soo, if we couldn't guess lol. Kid needs some different roles, stereotyping isn't good). Though this still doesn't stop me craving a future Ji-soo/Jung Eunji drama, they need to be paired as OTP!

Thank you for giving me the heads-up. The good thing is that it's on KBS so it'll probably show up on their youtube channel. Thanks. I went googling and saw his picture and for some reason I still don't remember him...although I probably watched him in a drama.

Carole - you mean you went looking for Ji-soo? He was Bokdongie in Angry Mom, if you've seen that.

I stopped watching angry mom around episode 9 or so. Was he the kid who had the crush on angry mom? or the other kid? See, it's all a blur. I should go check again...and just finish that drama.

Carole - yeah, he was the kid who had the crush on angry mom. Try finishing it someday, it's not perfect but it's worth the time.

Hey pogo!
OMV - Chaboring, tired of chaebols with stone cold parents, too.

yeah, I've been finding that some dramas involving chaebols improve vastly if you skip over all the business/family power struggle stuff. I did the skip-the-chaebol-crap for Kill Me Heal Me too, and it improved my drama watching experience by about 50 percent.

It's ok if the chaebol stuff is central in some way (like in Nice Guy or early 2015's Heard It Through the Grapevine) but when it's a carbuncle on the face of an otherwise enjoyable drama where the OTP isn't all about it, straight to the fast-forward button is where I go.

Owl ~

I'm watching Glamorous Temptation. Not chaebols per se, but a former Prime Minister is substituted in their place.

Same bat s*** crazy filial piety. Who cares if Mom is a evil wench ? Male lead is a Momma's Boy to the point of masochism.

I'm sure in typical fashion, all will be forgiven by drama's end, when the evil mom should actually be drropped into a active volcano.

Dinner at the Kang table in Glamorous Temptation is definitely over-the-top weird. The great thing so far about temptation is how everyone always discovers some part of the truth but not the whole truth, then they immediately go off and do something vicious, thinking they are all powerful. Avenging Mom is easily the worst case of this kind of inept avenging; every one of her schemes end up with her son or family member being endangered. She is so clueless but thinks she knows everything. And second-lead's vindictiveness is just as half-baked. Everyone fighting against everyone else and keeping the wrong secrets from each other. Wasn't glad about this week's cliffhanger but it was at least a new person who was pput in danger. So, good twisty development there.

Carole ~

What is up with the " helmet with antennae" girl ? LOL

I can't figure her out. Since she and heroine's bro will probably get together, I figure some weirdness is afoot. This drama has been so unpredictable -- despite our assurance that every other episode death will hang over our characters-- so I can't even venture a guess as to how she'll fit into the plot.

Hi John,

I only gave GT a one-episode try but~

"Look out below...splash!" (Evil mom into molten magma [email protected]#!)

Splish Splash Love is looking good. Cute and heartwarming!

I bet it'll also be a little heartbreaking (why does she have to go and fall for a real king and not a made-up Kim Boong-do who can just time-travel back to the 21st century with her? :( ) But I'm really impatient for the 13th now, since they've pushed it back.

It's King Sejong the Great pogo. Not every girl gets to meet him :).

yeah, I suppose when you're meeting a figure that iconic, you can't be too greedy :)

If I travelled back in time, it would be to renaissance to meet leonardo Da Vinci and perhaps join him in doing anatomical drawings of a human heart. or just follow and observe like a puppy

oh there are definitely a few painters I'd want to hang around too. Imagine being able to watch them at work..

This makes me want to rewatch Drew Barrymore's Ever After lol. I was fond of Da Vinci in it. It has kind of a period rom.com feel to it too.

I loved Ever After, I don't care how shaky her accent is, it's my favourite film version of Cinderella.

Same here:).

I see your point. Long time ago( more than twenty years ago), I had a chance to go to the Queen's Library at Windsor Castle and saw drawings by Da Vinci and Michelangelo( we had to wear gloves to touch the papers)
I could not believe that we were this close to see some of the most famous drawings. they are seriously geniuses.
I probably do not have a courage to see the actual dissection ( I am a bit timid)

So if you do not go back in time, you may have a chance to visit the Library to view those drawings.

ah, I wonder if it is possible for me to visit it... I really really would love to. I am much more fascinated about Leonardos´ work at scientific research and design than his paintings.

To REDFOX:

I am not sure of the current regulation of the Library visit since tings has been changed since last time I visited. I had a recommendation letter from my museum director whose school mate(?) is the Keeper there. We needed a recommendation letter and a letter to describe the reason to view some drawings. I thought we could pick something like five or so drawings from the library collection to view. Scholars are allowed to view the drawings back then. I hope that the regulation has not changed.
One can really tell Da vinci was a genius by looking at his scientific/anatomical drawings.

Travelling back in time sounds intriguing...for about ten minutes...then I think I'd quite quickly miss flushing toilets.

and tampons! Not to mention, imagine trying to deal with that time of the month in the centuries before painkillers?

there is natural medicine... pills don´t work on me anyway, I take 5 and then give up. I am like immune to them or something. but certain teas work. birch bark, fireweed, and calendula. also, they should have apples, apple peels help with inflammation and bloating. You just have to find Jang Bin...

Dramapanda ~

The C time travel drama Man Comes To Tang Dynasty, a man quickly "invents" toilet paper and sanitary napkins among other things.

The folks think he's crazy when he tells them what the TP is to be used for. It's a cute show. It's on Viki (it had disappeared for a while but it's back. )

Hello, all :

Drama-viewing this week has been a bit of a downer. I know these are just stories but sometimes...aaargh!

So, Achiara: It has ended. And what a crappy feeling it left me with! There were two loving love relationships in this drama and at the end, they are both destroyed. Probably because they were rooted and grounded in a townof weirdness. And there is this feeling --I suppose-- that the ground has to be completely dug up in order for pure things to grow. But still! This is utterly my neurosis. I wasn't happy that pharmacist and art teacher broke up. Yes, yes, I know sometimes you have to completely break free of the past if one has to have happiness. Ultimately, we are left wondering if the most devoted couple, the couple with the greatest ability to endure their evil, other folks' evil, and life's evil was the bad couple. So yeah, no example of a good enduring family/love relationship in this drama. Only the love of bad folks can truly survive. I also find myself wondering yet again -- as I often do in these "old secrets" "past secrets" mysteries-- is it REALLY necessary to revisit the past and repair things? There was a lot of collateral damage in many folks' lives because one dead person's truth had to be revealed. It's a bit like watching a movie where tons of people get killed because the hero has to save ONE person. So, yeah, I found myself saying to heroine (and to her dead sister) several times, "Let it go!!!!"

Sweet Savage Family: I am really disliking Gi Bum and his ex. Heroine is so stressed right now. I want to say, "Give up on the entire family. Let the bad guys win already and step aside."

Glamorous Temptation: Wow! There's a cliffhanger (in a drama that is literally MADE of cliffhangers.) Am suspecting pretty much everyone except our poetess.

Six Flying Dragons: Was that the best sword fight ever???? Yep, I wept for our heroic villain.

5-9: Oh my! Thanks for those who recommended it. Love it. Waiting for subs. Wondering why little brother so hates older brother. Perhaps older brother's birthday was cause of parent's death?

Disguiser: Thanks to whoever recommended this. I really hated the camp commander. Still do because I HATE manipulation and bullying ..and I hate the paternalistic "I usurped your life and bent your will to mine but you will grow to appreciate me and love me as a father" crap...but yeah. Am hooked.

All about mom: Ah gee! Like I said, "What a week it has been!" I really thought the story was going along at an organic pace and would've loved to have the issues worked out naturally. but nooooooooo, up comes accident. And really, there had better NOT be an amnesia ahead of us.

Have a great weekend, all.

oops, forgot to mention. An audio podcast of one of my stories is up. It's about 3o minutes long but it's a good story ...in my humble opinion. ;-)

Happy December everyone!!
The year seems to be going so fast. Like two days earlier it was Jan. But no complaints! New years, New Beginnings<3

Currently, watching Cat, Venus and 1988. Bubblegum started out well but its getting on my nerves now. The characters are so confused that am getting confused whether to cry or scream at them for being so confused over their choices and making me feel crazy. I don't get them! At all!

I wanted the show to be good, for my first kdrama crush LDW! I had read on a site about how he was depressed last year over his lustre-less dramas. This should have been a better year for him..

R88, only main scenes and jung hwan. So cool. I like it how few scenes feel so real and thus, gut wrenching. There are no superficial problems, just normal everyday issues which mattered more. This is truly the magic of all Reply series. I didn't enjoy 94 because, Chilbongie deserves more, but 97 had many beautiful moments. Keep going, 88!

Venus only for ji-woong ma'am and sung hoon. I like them and SMA is cute but never been so ji-sub's fan really! Don't know why?!

How is Noble, My Love? Sung hoon's drama. Is it good? Recommended?

Take care my lovely Chingus:) May Santa bring happiness into our lives

Noble my love, very sweet. He's pretty pushy most of the way though.

Oh, is it? I don't like pushy people but its a drama so..
Thank you, Carole.

Good morning!

Oh My Venus – I don’t have any trouble with imagining RL chemistry between Shin Min Ah and So Ji Sub, but I don’t feel the same way about their characters. I guess I’ve never been sold on their attraction story-wise even though the acting is fun to watch. It was a pretty (hot) umbrella kiss, though. Wounded chaebols theme is kind of getting old.

Bubblegum – *spoiler* I practically clapped with delight the entire 11th episode that was devoted to backstory. I can’t recall another kdrama that commits an entire mid-episode to backstory and frankly, it was a nice break with the melodramatic present. Still, Mother/Aunt is manipulative to the max no matter what her reasons are, and no one will stop her with the ultimate potential threat of another attempted suicide looming large. I have to say that no one’s face expresses brokenhearted-ness better than Dong Wook.

Imaginary Cat – cute!

Reply 1988 – Could anything be more heart-warming than a group of adults wanting to create a Christmas memory for the youngest on their block? That ice snowman was beautiful and precious and made with collective love. It could have been a disaster with a broken Christmas promise, but thanks to big brother Sung Woo who knew that his sister called ice cream “snowman,” the Christmas morning gathering couldn’t have been cozier or happier. Taek and father, wah! Pink angora mittens and gloves all around. No Eul and the dip-dye girl.

Shaolin Clenched Fists – 1 & 2 are subbed on kshowonline. There’s some boring footage – it could have just been an hour instead or 1 ½, but it’s exciting and rigorous. Everyone wants to rise to the occasion (well, I’m not sure about our Rose Hotel representative, but otherwise, it’s a cool bunch of celebs).

Is anyone watching Survival Audition Kpop Star 5 – I’ve been impressed with the previous 4 in terms of quality talent, so I have high expectations for another entertainment season. I still go back and watch clips of The Shorties, Akdong Musician, Jin Ah, Almeng, and more – very impressive amateur talent.

Happy weeked \/

Only drama I'm watching is Oh My Venus, guess you can say I'm on a "break" until after finals. I do agree that the wounded chaebol theme is old. It's been done once too many times. I guessed that was part of the reason She Was Pretty was more original since there were secret chaebols but without the malicious family or the sad childhoods. Hoping to start Bubblegum and Imaginary Cat soon

I gave the first episode of Shaolin Clenched Fist a look over and skipped it when all they seem to be doing in showing down the top veiws at every chance they could get of the female players. I do not mind fan service as such, but it was just so blatant as to be distastful

Like so many k-entertainment shows, the editing leaves much to be desired, it's true. I'm hoping there will be some good training and practice sessions. But, the idol factor is definitely there.

1st time posting in Open Thread, yeay!
^_^

Been watching:

1. Oh My Venus : what a lovely show! The dimples! Oh the kiss! It's just too cute to watch. I love KJE character, she's not ashamed of being fat but stay positive and determined. You go girl!

2. Imaginary cat: loving the idea of YSH appearing in drama once again. And the cat, omg it's too cute! Been watching the 1st ep, but get annoyed by the girl. Why cant i have only YSH and Bok-gil, oh writer-nim?? Dont you know that 2 is perfect while 3 is crowded? -_-

Now i'm excited for Remember, some legal thriller with YSH? Who can say no! Aaaawww...

Welcome!

Another newbie.. yea..!! ^_^
I'm not really feeling Oh My Venus..
I like Shin Min Ah - So Ji Sub chemistry, but the other part just meh..

Also excited for Remember.. really hoping that the story is good till the end.

Welcome ninani!

I totally get you. In fact, PD, writer, whoever, can we make Imaginary Cat's loveline between Bok-Gil and YSH only? Maybe the female lead can...like...go away...or something. (Team Bok-Gil!)

Good Friday everyone!!!

After a very very long dry spell with Kdramas - they've really been lackluster and disappointing in the last 2 years- I'm glad to report, my kdrama love is back! It is just the one kdrama - Reply 1988, but I truly love it!!

1994 and 1997 always got a bit boring because the focus was always on the OTP - this time, the focus is on family in all of its forms - in neighbors, friends, siblings, etc. The music, while I'm not familiar with any of it, seems like perfect touch to great moments. Yes there are flaws and lulls, but the love and excitement I have for this drama goes a long way to smooth the rough edges. Not sure how they are going to move the story onward, but I'm all in. Wish I could have said that about any Kdrama in the past 2 years.

The other drama I'm totally loving and excited about is: 5 Ji Kara 9 ji Made aka From 5 to 9. I was going to pass on this cuz Yamashita Tomohisa is usually very unimpressive in his wide dead-eyed look, but in this drama, he's actually really good. I didn't get excited about watching it until I came across dreamingsnowflake2013 tumblr in-depth analysis of each episode. So while I'm not sure if my love for the drama stems from the drama directly or indirectly from the blog, I'm grateful to be excited about a drama.

Happy Friday!

I had really high hopes for Village, but again, disappointed. Even though is sounded good on paper, it fell so flat.

6 Flying Dragons reads great in recaps, but watching it...something is missing. Same with Hello Venus - I'm just not connecting to the characters. Hope something better comes up in 2016.

Ughs, waiting for subs for 5 Ji Kara 9 Ji Made is dreadful. I Because of that, i'm putting a halt on starting Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku.

I kind of get some sort of cold feet with the Village. Thankfully, because of that, i never touch anything close except for recaps on that one.

Good for you to get hype up with KDramas again. I on the other hand, is just breezing through any ongoing dramas. I'm about to start Ugly Alert in a few days though. Although, my drama heart keep on screaming for more JDramas

do you have any JDrama recommendations? preferably something not so dark, for my first dip in the J-Dramaland haha

First dip? Oh lol. So i'm guessing you are pretty used to KDrama? To avoid any shock then you should just try out, Love Shuffle (unlike KDrama but very funny), Rich Man & Poor Woman, Buzzer Beat and Pride. See how you go from there. Japanese dramas always have a knack on slice of life too.

Maybe if you want to try it out, go for Soratobu kouhoushitsu. Tell me if you need some more ;)

Ughhh, I totally feel the same about Oh My Venus. I can't grasp the tone of the show and it's making me feel missing something somehow. It's got all the ingredients there, but the cake it has baked didn't live up to my expectations. It doesn't have THE grip. Looking forward to Imaginary Cat though, because it's such a cute show, have you seen it?

"King's Daughter Soo Baek Hyang" is the BEST.

whitewire ~

My wife enjoyed that show. I haven't seen it.

I enjoyed that show too -- mainly watching Seo Woo play the nutcase sister. I do love sageuk veteran Lee Jae-ryong but they didn't give him much to do once he sat on the throne.

I also enjoyed it. I got chills on King/Lee jae-ryong's slapping scene when he was with his son.

I agree with you. It was unfortunate thathe drama was hit by bad schedule( due to Olympic game),,, the eps was cut short.
I was impressed with Jo Hyun Jae's subtle expression. I also enjoyed Yoon Tae Young as t he girls' mute father. Seo Hyun Jin also sing its OST( I think it is a folklore song?). I find her voice is so clear and beautiful

Totally agree with all the above posts about KDSBH. Good acting, good plot, engaging romance. Really a gem!

Anyone watching "Sweet Savage Family?" I keep meaning to watch it, mainly because of the awesome cast but I haven't gotten to it yet. Since there's no recaps on here, I just wanted to hear other's opinions. Happy Friday!

I haven't watch SSF.. but dramajjang post some reviews on the drama.

Really enjoyed Because It's The First Time all the way through the end and thankfully, still liked all the main characters. Good little show!

I love it too. I am still on ep 6 because I don't want to finish the story, everyone is so charming!
Why was this a web drama? Why only 8 episodes? Crazy producers.

Currently watching 5 ji Kara 9 ji made and just finished dear sister. Both at the beginning makes me feel weird out. Kidnapping people and manipulating your sister? What is wrong with this people. But somehow I always find jdrama too exude some sort of warmness. The weird part I got over with and the drama becomes some sort of sweet journey. And it's actually really relatable. I love dear sister. It makes me miss my big sis so much. Family ftw! Anyhow, 5 ji Kara 9 ji made is a pleasant surprise because I don't really like yamapi and the monk plot scares me off. I'm getting in because of ishihara. But I haven't laugh so hard in years! The drama is so funny, it has me in tears

The only kdrama I'm watching is oh my Venus. Who am I kidding. Even if I want to stop I can't. It has so ji sub and shin min ah. Lol. Though, I have grown so much liking over jdrama and in the mood for one now. I like that at least oh my Venus insert some health stuff here and there which makes it way better than birth of beauty.

I passed 5 ji Kara 9 ji because of Yamapi and his wooden face.. >_<
Is he improved here?

He's not perfect but he really does try.

well.. maybe later then.. I'm watching Kounodori and Siren at the moment.. but Jdrama is sooo much more easier to follow ongoing.. cause it's only once a week and 45 minutes per episode.. my lunch break is enough for 1 episode.

Both Kounodori and Siren are good. Kounodori is how a medical drama should be – the politics is kept very minimal and I've found several episodes very touching (okay, I cried multiple times during ep 5).

Siren is quite good though I really wish Yuki were different. She started off as a strong character (yeah! I thought. A couple with two strong individuals!), but then turned into Miss-too-dumb-to-see-the-evidence-right-before-her-eyes. She never even go suspicious, but literally had to be hit over the head. Which is so disappointing. Meanwhile, Satomi I love – and he deserves so much better than his long-time girlfriend who didn't even trust him, and barely knows him it seems!

lol I mean he comes out of the talent agency Johnny & Associates what can you expect? Of the horde of male idol they had over they long years, very few have any real acting talent, of course that never stops them in appearing in scores of Japanese drama and film over the years.
I kind of think of them as the male version of AKB48 myself.

I'm not going to say he improves because he does nothing to me. LOL. The thing is his dead eyes thing is perfect for the monk role. He is like a kid, who doesn't really know anything but still want to get the candy. He is expresionless monk. So the character fits him, (it's not that he improves for me) You should watch it! I recommend it strongly. You will surely get some laughs out of the drama. I'm obsessed so it is really hard waiting for subs. Since you are busy, I think this drama is a 'can go' drama for you.

Hi everyone. Finally decided to make my first post here. I haven't been watching much (exam-related stress!!!) but I dearly wanted to finally watch Kim Myung Min in something! I've heard of him being so good but I've never seen his awesome-ness in action (sacrilegious right?) so I decided to pick up the near-decade old Bad Family. Read a couple of positive reviews about it and decided that it'd be an easy light watch. Took a couple of episodes for me to really settle in (stress messes with drama enjoyment!) but boy did I fall in love once I did. KMM won me over completely. The family dynamics were wonderful and hilarious, though it does involve a lot of slapstick humour (which I don't take to normally). Just wondering if anyone here has watched it and is also a fan?

Btw, really itching for another KMM drama to watch! Haha. But I don't know what would be the best to catch him in. I am aware of him being in 6FD but I'm not ready to make a 50-episode sageuk commitment just yet. Heh. Any suggestions?

White Tower.. or King of Drama.
White Tower is better story-wise, but KoD is more fun.

I love Kim Myung Min in all his dramas but White Tower and Immortal Yi are my top favorite.

Welcome! And yes Kim Myung-Min is the best!

White Tower is his best work. He's also great in More Beautiful Than a Flower. I've heard The Immortal Admiral is also goodm but if you're not down for a 50 episode sageuk, I'd skip that one--it's like 100+ episodes lol.

I haven't seen More Beautiful Than a Flower :(.

It is good (I remember ratings was worst-kind of, but show received good review). KMM is not main though. I still remember some scenes with Go DuSim as mother.

KMN is my forever Admiral Lee. (You wouldn't believe how much money I spent to watch the show multiple times).

I was a K-drama newbie when I came across Admiral Lee and I was hooked because of KMM. It was so dang long but I watched it all.

I'm going to search for MBTaF and hopefully start watching it tonight.

It's my favorite Noh Hee-kyung drama, of the ones I've been able to see :). It's more of a family drama than Goodbye Solo, and despite its bleak premise (Go Doo-shim's husband has left the family and moved in with another woman), it's one of the most genuine and heartwarming dramas I've seen. Kim Myung-min plays a man tortured by his past who romances her second daughter, a surprisingly good Kim Go-eun.

I'm definitely going to look for it. I love Kim Go-eun too.

I saw Kim Go-eun for the first time in A Man Called God (don't judge me haha, I watched it for the lulz with a friend) so I was really shocked to see how natural she was in MBTAF lol.

It's on gooddrama, and you can also download it in the usual places. It was also released on DVD, but I'm not sure if you could still find a copy--it's pretty old.

Did you have a crush on Song Il‑gook? That would be the only reasonable explanation haha.

Thank you! I found it :).