Yoon Sang-hyun, Lee Yo-won up for quirky JTBC rom-com
JTBC has announced a new drama in the works, as well as two stars in contention to headline it, Yoon Sang-hyun (Gap-dong) and Lee Yo-won (Empire of Gold): The show is titled (something like) Hot Temper and Nam Jung-ki, but I have to warn you that I’m not a hundred percent on that because the media was uncommonly sloppy this time and the various articles contradict each other.
For instance, some stories paint main character Nam Jung-ki as the one with the temper, while others point to the lady instead. Rather than guessing wrong, I’ll just tell you what they all say, conflicts and all, and maybe we can work this out together. It’s interactive drama reporting, for when the press is terrible can’t be bothered to check those things called facts.
Here are the details that are uncontested:
- The drama is a quirky rom-com that features weaker people who struggle against the stronger types ruling everything.
- It’s centered around a man and woman with opposite personalities: One has a hot temper, the other is timid.
- They’ll bicker and fight, naturally.
- The male lead’s name is Nam Jung-ki, as reflected in the title, and he’s a cosmetics marketing director.
- The drama will be a Friday-Saturday series.
As for the rest: It’s likely that Yoon Sang-hyun’s character is timid and Lee Yo-won’s is hot-tempered. (A number of articles say the opposite, that she’s timid and he’s hot-tempered, but my sense is that it’s the other way around.) The leading lady is likely named Ok Da-jung, although a few articles name her as Wook Da-jung instead. (Wook isn’t a traditional surname, but it allows for a pun on the word wook, which means temper. I see why one might want to get super-Dickensian and literal with the naming, though it’s hardly necessary.) The title probably refers to the lady as being Ms. Temper (though on the off-chance that the hero is the hothead, it could mean Hot Tempered Nam Jung-ki).
The casting doesn’t even help guess which is which, because Yoon Sang-hyun is terrific at being boomy and hot-tempered (Gap-dong), but also great going against type and being timid (I Hear Your Voice). And Lee Yo-won has been both harshly fierce (Empire of Gold) and quietly shrinking (49 Days). It’s crazy that they’d seem like great choices either way, but as it turns out, I think the casting works whichever way it turns out to be.
The drama will follow Madam Antoine, JTBC’s upcoming rom-com featuring Han Ye-seul and Sung Joon that kicks off this weekend.
- Time I’ve Loved You lines up string of cameos as ideal fantasy men
- Gap-dong: Episode 1
- Gap-dong’s special webtoon high on chills and thrills
- Oh Snap! Killer on the loose
- I Hear Your Voice: Episode 1
- Yoon Sang-hyun headlines new drama as an ajusshi idol
- Yoon Sang-hyun and Park Ha-sun’s tone-deaf rom-com
- Can’t Lose: Episode 1