News bites: February 20, 2016
Ahn Gil-kang, Kim Ga-eun, Yoon Ji-hye
- Jackpot, the Joseon-era gambling drama starring Jang Geun-seok, has added a few new cast members ahead of its premiere next month. Ahn Gil-kang (Cheese in the Trap) will play the son of a military legend. He’ll teach Jang’s character martial arts and act as his right-hand man, and eventually go head-to-head with opposition leader (Jeon Gwang-ryul).
- Meanwhile, Kim Ga-eun (Awl) will play a sought-after gisaeng in a complicated loveline with Jang Geun-seok. She grew up poor and with a singular goal of becoming rich. She succeeds in becoming a top gisaeng, but her life will take a turn after meeting our protagonist.
- And, last but not least, Yoon Ji-hye (High Society) is cast as a determined and frugal woman with guts and courage. She’ll run a gambling den; presumably where Jang learns his trade. Jackpot airs on SBS on Mondays and Tuesdays after the conclusion of Six Flying Dragons. [Xports News, Sports Chosun, DongA]
- This film continues to add to its all-star cast: Eom Ji-won (The Phone) joins Master as a reckless and daring investigator on the same team as Kang Dong-won. They’ll work together to bring down the complex crime organization run by Lee Byung-heon called One Network. Jin Kyung (Oh My Venus) will play the PR director at One Network while movie vet Oh Dal-soo has been added as an elite lawyer and former prosecutor. It’ll be a reunion of sorts for Jin and Oh — they both filmed Assassination and Veteran last year. Cameras on the second action film from Jo Eui-seok (Cold Eyes) begin rolling shortly. [Star News, DongA]
- Gu Hara turned down the titular role in KBS’s Babysitter, but Kim Min-joon (Hidden Identity) has joined, and he’ll play the head of the household, a man cheating on his wife with the sitter. The four-episode mystery thriller begins March 14. [DongA]
- VIXX’s N (Sassy Go Go) will have a chance to build up his acting chops as the lead in a web drama called Tomorrow Boy. His character lost his parents as a small child and began taking care of his grandmother and siblings from an early age. Despite the challenging upbringing, he’s cheerful and unwavering as he earns a living while juggling his studies. Tomorrow Boy airs in March on Naver TVCast. [Ten Asia]
- My Little Baby, the drama starring Oh Ji-ho (Maids) and Lee Soo-kyung (Let’s Eat) has a confirmed airdate and schedule. Oh’s a rough-around-the-edges detective suddenly saddled with a baby, while Lee’s his first love, a single mom herself. The show will air for 16 episodes on Saturday nights on MBC and start March 5. [Joy News 24]
- It isn’t confirmed yet, but the press is speculating that tvN will reward the cast and crew of Signal with a vacation to Phuket (as they did with the cast/crew of Answer Me 1988 and have scheduled for the Cheese in the Trap bunch). With viewership ratings on pace to break double-digits and filming scheduled to wrap this month, rumors are the Signal entourage will be sent on their own Thailand trip in March. [Sports Chosun]
- Han Joo-wan (Hwajeong, Joseon Gunman) and Lee Shi-won (Please Mom, Who Are You—School 2015) are the leads in Devil’s Diary, a four-episode web drama. Han will play a devil trying to earn recognition from the Devil King/Prince of Darkness/Satan — sort of like a military officer earning stripes, or an angel earning wings, although I guess in this case he’s striving for horns? He gets tasked with a final mission and if he succeeds, he’ll become leader of all the devils — but last assignments are never easy, and instead of frightening the coolly self-sufficient Lee, he’ll find himself falling for her instead. The rom-com premieres on February 24 on Naver TVCast. [SBS funE]
Eom Ji-won, Oh Dal-soo, Jin Kyung
Kim Min-joon, N
Han Joo-wan, Lee Shi-won