Travelers sign up for Lee Yeon-hee’s guided tour in JTBC’s The Package
Jung Yong-hwa, Lee Yeon-hee, Choi Woo-shik
The cast has been confirmed for JTBC’s new drama The Package, and it’s an interesting mix of actors that they’ve gathered for this ensemble travel drama. I can’t say I’m very excited by Lee Yeon-hee (Hwajeong) teaming up with Jung Yong-hwa (Three Musketeers) — they seem similar, but not in a good way. On the upside, Choi Woo-shik (Ho-gu’s Love) has also signed on; on the downside, this has me conflicted since I like him enough to follow his work.
The Package is the new drama from writer Chun Sung-il of Chuno, Level 7 Civil Servant, and Runaway Plan B. It’ll be directed by PD Jeon Chang-geun of What’s With This Family and God of the Workplace, and is being planned for a fully pre-produced 12-episode run on JTBC next year. It’s called The Package in reference to package tours, because the entire drama will take place on a guided tour in France. The ensemble cast includes:
- Lee Yeon-hee as the group’s tour guide
- Jung Yong-hwa as a man who got dumped by his girlfriend and goes on a trip by himself
- Choi Woo-shik as an office worker who’s been dating someone for ten years
- Yoon Park (Age of Youth) as a mysterious man who came on the trip to follow Lee Yeon-hee
- Ryu Seung-soo (Beautiful Mind) as man whose relationship to his partner is a mystery
- Ha Shi-eun (Oh Hae-young Again) as a web designer who’s debating between marriage and dating
- Jung Gyu-soo (Neighborhood Lawyer Jo Deul-ho) as a stubborn old fogey who always picks fights
- Lee Ji-hyun (Victory Tomorrow Too) as a woman who cared for her sick husband her whole life until she got old
- Park Yoo-na (Sassy Go Go) as someone whose age can’t be guessed
Yoon Park, Ryu Seung-soo, Ha Shi-eun
The drama is described as a warm travel drama about very different people who have nothing to do with each other, forced to be together and make connections as they encounter unexpected events as a tour group. As all the characters take a break from their real lives to go on this package tour, they’ll open up to one another and listen to each other’s stories.
I almost want a darker spin on this, since it’s a good setup for a murder mystery, a la Clue. But at least the idea is somewhat quirky and interesting? I have liked Lee Yeon-hee more since Gu Family Book, and I think warm human drama plays closer to her strengths. I’m pretty skeptical of this writer doing “warm,” but I guess there’s a first for everything.
The Package plans to shoot entirely on location in France, and will air on JTBC in 2017.
Via Sports Chosun
- Lee Yeon-hee offered new drama from Chuno, Pirates writer
- Train to Busan brings zombie apocalypse to Cannes
- Choi Woo-shik, Ahn Seo-hyun up for Bong Joon-ho’s monster movie Okja
- Choi Woo-shik, Lee Dong-hwi consider joining Entourage
- Oh Snap! Jung Yong-hwa wore this outside
- Rising stars Choi Woo-shik, Lee Won-geun up to play romantic rivals
- Ho-gu’s Love: Episode 1
- Three Musketeers: Episode 1
- Mi-rae’s Choice: Episode 1