The ardent love of the world’s last mermaid in Legend of the Blue Sea
The first teaser is out for SBS’s upcoming fantasy romance Legend of the Blue Sea, and the tone is unexpectedly sad and wistful, as we’re introduced to the abiding love between a man and a mermaid that spans centuries. This is our first peek at the highly anticipated four-way team-up between stars Jeon Ji-hyun (You From Another Star) and Lee Min-ho (Heirs), writer Park Ji-eun (You From Another Star, The Producers), and PD Jin Hyuk (City Hunter, Master’s Sun), and I for one can’t wait to dive in wholeheartedly.
The new SBS Wednesday-Thursday drama stars Jeon Ji-hyun as the last mermaid on Earth, on the verge of extinction. The drama is the story of her devoted love that’s told in multiple timelines, and as we see in the show’s first teaser, both leads will be featured in both past and present. In the present day, Lee Min-ho plays a genius swindler with fellow conmen Lee Hee-joon (Yoo-na’s Street) and Shin (Big) by his side, and as the mermaid adjusts to life on land and encounters the swindler, romance and comedy will ensue.
The teaser points at a sad backstory for the mermaid, and a love that’s endured centuries. It opens on Lee Min-ho staring out into the open sea and Jeon Ji-hyun swimming underwater, and intercuts quick flashes of scenes in Joseon—the hero dressed in an officer’s uniform, the mermaid captured, poked, and demoralized by men. Then in the present, he wakes up on the shore just as the mermaid walks away from him on two legs. Jeon Ji-hyun narrates in voiceover, “But I will keep my promise. Whether a storm comes, whether no one is here and I am lonely, whether I am afraid because it’s a road I’ve never taken before, I will endure it all and go to you.”
It’s only a series of breadcrumbs for now, but it does make me think that we’re in for a reversal of You From Another Star’s setup that’s familiar in a lot of ways—maybe this time the heroine will carry a torch for centuries, and search for her one true love in every doppelganger she meets. The teaser’s copy reads: “Permitted just once in a lifetime—the love of the last mermaid on Earth. So beautiful it’s like a dream. The legend of the blue sea.”
The legend begins November 16.
- Legend of the Blue Sea returns from overseas shoots, holds first script read
- Shin joins the con artists in Legend of the Blue Sea
- Mermaid-sellers and cast reunions lined up for Legend of the Blue Sea
- Lee Ji-hoon as Lee Min-ho’s half-brother in Legend of the Blue Sea
- Moon Sori added to fantasy romance Legend of the Blue Sea
- Shin Hye-sun follows Five Kids with Legend of the Blue Sea
- Lee Hee-joon joins Lee Min-ho as a con artist for Legend of the Blue Sea
- Jeon Ji-hyun, Lee Min-ho team up in new SBS drama Legend of the Blue Sea
- Jeon Ji-hyun in talks to star in new drama from You From Another Star writer