Suzy confirms supernatural romance While You Were Sleeping
It’s official: Suzy (Uncontrollably Fond) has signed on to star opposite Lee Jong-seok (W–Two Worlds) in the new drama While You Were Sleeping, from hit writer Park Hye-ryun of Pinocchio, I Hear Your Voice, and Dream High. The supernatural romance has also found a home at SBS, and PD Oh Choong-hwan of SBS’s medical romance Doctors will take the helm. This will be Lee Jong-seok’s third series with writer Park, and Suzy’s second after 2011’s Dream High, in which she made her acting debut.
While You Were Sleeping will be a legal supernatural drama, much like I Hear Your Voice—that series was about a public defender and a boy who could read minds, while this one is about a prosecutor and a girl who sees the future. Suzy has been cast as a young woman who has dreams about bad things that are about to happen to other people, and Lee Jong-seok will play the prosecutor who fights to stop those tragedies from coming true.
I expect the PD of Doctors to be a good fit for the contemporary romance; that show had the pitfall of seeming visually pretty but empty of substance at times, but with this writer I don’t have that worry at all, since she always delivers great characters and a compelling story. I’m really not enthused about Suzy’s casting, but I’ve always found something to like about the heroines in this writer’s dramas, so I’m going to keep an open mind and hope for the best. Maybe the drama will reward my optimism by keeping it light and funny and melo-free, with some chemistry on top.
While You Were Sleeping is being planned for a 2017 broadcast on SBS.
- Lee Jong-seok considers using mile-long legs to kick soccer balls in Dream
- Lee Jong-seok, Suzy in talks to reunite with writer Park Hye-ryun
- Lee Jong-seok makes Weightlifting Fairy cameo appearance
- Noir movie VIP enlists Jang Dong-gun, Park Hee-soon, and Lee Jong-seok
- W–Two Worlds: Episode 1
- Uncontrollably Fond: Episode 1
- Suzy transforms into Joseon-era singer in Dorihwaga (Sound of a Flower)
- Kim Woo-bin and Suzy couple up in Lee Kyung-hee romance drama
- Suzy bows out of Cheese in the Trap