SBS’s Defendant gets 2-episode extension
Does this mean that Ji Sung has to spend two more episodes on death row? Because that doesn’t sound like a good time for his character. SBS’s current Monday-Tuesday drama Defendant has confirmed a 2-episode extension, which isn’t a huge surprise given that the legal thriller is a certified hit for the network. It broke 20% ratings last week and hasn’t dropped below that mark, and though the numbers aren’t as high as its predecessor Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim, Defendant has remained in first place on Mondays and Tuesdays from its very first episode.
The extension brings the total episode count to 18, and SBS stated that this was necessary for the story they wanted to tell: “Viewers demanded an extension and we determined that it was improbable to complete the story in 16 episodes, so we confirmed a 2-episode extension.” Well, I don’t know that I believe the part about viewers asking for an extension (nobody ever asks for extensions, ever), and I don’t see why a story that was originally plotted for 16 episodes couldn’t be told in 16 episodes, but whatever. Their extension announcement should’ve just been: “More Ji Sung, why not?”
I’m just worried because I really like the pace and the addictive story—amnesiac on death row!—and dread the thought of it slowing down to accommodate two extra hours if it’s not done well. It’s a tightly woven thriller with well-timed twists and it’s not even procedural, so I’m going to get tetchy if they ruin the pace with storylines that detract from Ji Sung clearing his name and Eom Kim-joon getting his comeuppance. If the Eom Ki-joon twins turn out to be triplets, I’m out.
Defendant will now end its run on March 21, and Lee Bo-young’s new drama Whisper will follow a week later on March 27.
Via IS Plus
- Defendant: Episode 1
- Ji Sung to fight back from behind bars in SBS’s Defendant
- Bloody knives and violent crimes in Defendant’s new teaser
- Ji Sung is the best dad ever in new Defendant stills
- Ji Sung’s imprisoned mind and body in first teaser for Defendant
- Legal drama Defendant finds leading lady in SNSD’s Yuri
- Eom Ki-joon and others recruited for SBS’s Defendant
- Ji Sung considers MBC’s Rebel Hong Gil-dong, SBS’s Defendant
- Ji Sung considers SBS prison break thriller Defendant